PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: Who's back for Spurs? Players wonder, too

ElNono
06-17-2014, 06:59 PM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Manu Ginobili had a simple message for his teammates during an emotional team meeting Tuesday.

Let's do this again.

With six potential free agents headed by Tim Duncan, the message was made clear -the Spurs would like everyone back for a run at a sixth NBA championship.

"I'm pretty sure most of the team is going to come back," Ginobili said.

San Antonio met as a group for the first time since beating Miami 104-87 on Sunday night to close out the NBA Finals in five games. Coach Gregg Popovich used the meeting to take one last playful dig at his players.

"He did show us a couple of clips that we sucked at (in Game 5)," guard Patty Mills said, laughing.

Continue reading (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/06/17/whos-back-for-spurs-players-wonder-too/10704705/)

Brazil
06-17-2014, 07:05 PM
I m uncertain if Manu will play for Argentina or not
Diaw will play for France
Tony is out

DMC
06-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Players don't wonder. They don't care right now. They need time to enjoy the work they just did before worrying about the next one.

ElNono
06-17-2014, 07:09 PM
I m uncertain if Manu will play for Argentina or not
Diaw will play for France
Tony is out

Says on the article he's not sure yet, he'll probably decide by the end of the week....

Vic Petro
06-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Hopefully Ginobili decides not to play this summer (no offense to any of the Argentinians on the board). I would love to see Parker/Ginobili/Duncan use the summer to worry about nothing except getting in shape for next season. Manu has won everything. The only thing missing is to repeat as NBA champion.

Brazil
06-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Says on the article he's not sure yet, he'll probably decide by the end of the week....

Hope he won't play but would not be mad if he decided to go.

HI-FI
06-17-2014, 07:17 PM
since you'll be Skyping with him later, tell him not to. There's a chance he'll look broken down, like in previous years, if he pushes himself too much.

ElNono
06-17-2014, 07:19 PM
from TFA:

Another pressing matter for the Spurs is whether to play for their respective national teams this summer. Mills and Baynes have committed to play for Australia, but Ginobili is still undecided about rejoining his Argentine teammates.

"No, but I know it's something I'm going to have to do soon," Ginobili said. "I want to be respectful of the coach. The practices start in a little more than a month, so I want him to know exactly what he's going to have so I'm actually in a sort of feel uneasy because I usually don't do this. I usually say it in March, but this year I wasn't ready. It's a little harder every year now to decide because a lot of things go on and family matters and physically, too, but I'll try to make a decision by the end of the week."

ElNono
06-17-2014, 07:25 PM
On one hand, I think there's solid reasons for him not to go: very long season, newly born kid he hasn't seen much, perhaps last season NBA season for him and TD.
On the other hand, the Worlds is actually the only international championship he could participate in and hasn't won. I also know he really enjoys playing with those dudes.

I'll keep an eye for any news. Apparently, he'll make up his mind by the weekend.

DMC
06-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Hopefully Ginobili decides not to play this summer (no offense to any of the Argentinians on the board). I would love to see Parker/Ginobili/Duncan use the summer to worry about nothing except getting in shape for next season. Manu has won everything. The only thing missing is to repeat as NBA champion.

That's conventional logic, but the reality was that the Spurs became a beast because Tony wasn't up to par, because others were not in good health, and the bench got big minutes. Not a winning formula you want to try again, but it's really a big reason for the success this year.

Uriel
06-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Ugh. All Spurs 30+ should be barred from international competition. Take this summer to rest, Diaw!

As for Baynes, Mills, Bellinelli, Splitter, Joseph, and even Kawhi Leonard, playing for their respective national teams should only help them to elevate their game further. I wholeheartedly welcome them to participate.

DMC
06-17-2014, 07:29 PM
I think they should play if they want to. It gives the Spurs and the NBA more worldwide exposure.

Baam
06-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Boris is the French team's captain, he can't not go...

jARS mEsH sEt
06-17-2014, 07:40 PM
user 'Ashok Gamer' has all of the exit interviews on youtube already.

barakz21
06-17-2014, 07:49 PM
On one hand, I think there's solid reasons for him not to go: very long season, newly born kid he hasn't seen much, perhaps last season NBA season for him and TD.
On the other hand, the Worlds is actually the only international championship he could participate in and hasn't won. I also know he really enjoys playing with those dudes.

I'll keep an eye for any news. Apparently, he'll make up his mind by the weekend.

Damn, I'm conflicted. As a spurfan, I'd prefer if Manu doesn't suit up for the worlds, but as a Filipino, it would be real awesome if my guys get to play against him since Argentina and the Philippines are in the same bracket.

wildchild
06-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Ugh. All Spurs 30+ should be barred from international competition. Take this summer to rest, Diaw!

As for Baynes, Mills, Bellinelli, Splitter, Joseph, and even Kawhi Leonard, playing for their respective national teams should only help them to elevate their game further. I wholeheartedly welcome them to participate.

Agree. I know Diaw needs his rhythm and maybe the international competition gives him that but I'm concerned about the consecutive seasons without rest for Boris.
Also, we don't have a lot of good bigmen (Ayres or Bonner...) if Splitter can rest this offseason I would be happy, the same for Leonard and his knee. I just hope Pop'll "suggest" these guys should rest.

ElNono
06-17-2014, 09:22 PM
I just hope Pop'll "suggest" these guys should rest.

I don't think they're allowed to even do that. Also, Pop would be the wrong guy, he actually always been pretty high on players representing their countries and international ball in general.
RC might be the guy you're thinking about.

Spur|n|Austin
06-17-2014, 09:34 PM
As selfish as it is, I think most of us would agree we do not want Manu to play ball this summer. He'll be beat next season.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 09:36 PM
I thought he said he had retired from the national team. I guess I was wrong.

Hemotivo
06-17-2014, 09:37 PM

i agree

Holt's Cat
06-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Emmanuel Ginobili you have redeemed yourself.

Hemotivo
06-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I thought he said he had retired from the national team. I guess I was wrong.

nope

i talked with Manu's brother and he said 80% not playing with ARG

Mikeanaro
06-17-2014, 09:40 PM
No more national team Manu, NO JODAS MAS!

wildchild
06-17-2014, 09:44 PM
I don't think they're allowed to even do that. Also, Pop would be the wrong guy, he actually always been pretty high on players representing their countries and international ball in general.
RC might be the guy you're thinking about.

Yes, you're right, the NBA technically forbids teams from interfering with their players participation in international competitions -but I remember some stuff about Cuban and Dirk 5/6 years ago-.
Well...In RC we trust

dbreiden83080
06-17-2014, 09:45 PM
It would be amazing to get the whole team back but it seems unlikely that we won't lose Mills because he needs to strike when the iron is hot in free agency. I think we will keep either Boris or Mills probably Borris the losing Mills is a pretty big loss

ElNono
06-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Yes, you're right, even the NBA technically forbids teams from interfering with their players participation in international competitions -but I remember some stuff about Cuban and Dirk 5/6 years ago-.
Well...In RC we trust

Yeah, even any kind of suggestion is forbidden, if I remember the CBA correctly. Obviously, you always know these people talk.

I personally think he has nothing left to prove there. He does feel incredibly grateful to be part of both great, historical teams (Spurs and the ARG NT), and I know he thoroughly enjoys playing with those guys.

But I think the fact it was a long season and his new kid being so young, I think he might just not go. We'll see. I prefer if he gets some rest. Like it or not, the Spurs have also had 2 deep runs into the NBA Finals. It might be his last season in the NBA, makes sense to rest and try to retire on top.