PDA

View Full Version : Does Parker and Manu play for their national teams this summer or rest for repeat

jdelar03
06-17-2014, 09:02 PM
I know for these players playing for their national teams is a great honor but with Parker maybe not quite a 100% from ankle injury do they take the summer off and legitimately try and go for the repeat that has eluded the Spurs franchise. Being as how these guys could play for their national teams at 40 and still probably be heros, do they take a break in order to beat the best players in the world in the best bb league in the world. What say you.

DesignatedT
06-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Tony has already said he will not play for France this summer. Not sure about Manu but he definitely needs to take the summer off as well.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-17-2014, 09:58 PM
I believe both have said they wont play

ducks
06-18-2014, 12:00 AM
manu has not says by the end of the weak says normal by march he says yes or no
mills is

Limguogolo
06-18-2014, 01:57 AM
It never affects the season. It keeps players in good shape and gives them even more experience. You guys need to be more respectful with all these international players and all the work and the experience they can have overseas just before the season opening and during all the summer. Without these competitions, the Spurs wouldn't be that high, that competitive, that team oriented, in that shape. How a competition at the end of the summer can affect a ankle injury? seriously. That's fifteen years of whining and that's fifteen years of winning. Pop always said that players who participate in these competitions were more prepared physically and mentally.

Parker won't play this year, saying he will work in his body. The Spurs win because of the body of their players, or because of their skills? Lebron James would be more effective with more brain and experience than muscles. Brain never has cramps. Though, Parker also said he will be ready for a long three years run during the summer, so prepare to whine.

No WC for Parker and Ginobili, but it will be great time experience for Diaw, Mills and others. Last year European championship gave Diaw the right tempo for this season, as it did for Parker several times. If you're afraid to be injured stop playing basketball. Players need to be active; stop with this stupid belief that players are puppets which only play eight months and then stay in a cold box resting their body. Try to play eight months after four months of rest, good luck. Will see who's in better shape in late October, between Parker and Diaw. Will see who will be more injured during the season between the two reposed Parker and Ginobili, and all other international players. Past has always showed that it was an advantage, not a handicap. The injury fear is an irrational belief, the result of exposition: you know that players are active therefore you're afraid of injuries. What about players who get injured at home, during exhibition games, who get hurt in a car accident, arrested for drunk driving, for smoking, for fingering their nose. At least, when Parker pairing Diaw in the same room during a WC, he doesn't chat with a teammate's wife.

Macca76
06-18-2014, 03:14 AM
It never affects the season. It keeps players in good shape and gives them even more experience. You guys need to be more respectful with all these international players and all the work and the experience they can have overseas just before the season opening and during all the summer. Without these competitions, the Spurs wouldn't be that high, that competitive, that team oriented, in that shape. How a competition at the end of the summer can affect a ankle injury? seriously. That's fifteen years of whining and that's fifteen years of winning. Pop always said that players who participate in these competitions were more prepared physically and mentally.

Parker won't play this year, saying he will work in his body. The Spurs win because of the body of their players, or because of their skills? Lebron James would be more effective with more brain and experience than muscles. Brain never has cramps. Though, Parker also said he will be ready for a long three years run during the summer, so prepare to whine.

No WC for Parker and Ginobili, but it will be great time experience for Diaw, Mills and others. Last year European championship gave Diaw the right tempo for this season, as it did for Parker several times. If you're afraid to be injured stop playing basketball. Players need to be active; stop with this stupid belief that players are puppets which only play eight months and then stay in a cold box resting their body. Try to play eight months after four months of rest, good luck. Will see who's in better shape in late October, between Parker and Diaw. Will see who will be more injured during the season between the two reposed Parker and Ginobili, and all other international players. Past has always showed that it was an advantage, not a handicap. The injury fear is an irrational belief, the result of exposition: you know that players are active therefore you're afraid of injuries. What about players who get injured at home, during exhibition games, who get hurt in a car accident, arrested for drunk driving, for smoking, for fingering their nose. At least, when Parker pairing Diaw in the same room during a WC, he doesn't chat with a teammate's wife.

What has this to do with the topic ???

Macca76
06-18-2014, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=Macca76;7439187][/B]
T

hsxvvd
06-18-2014, 03:24 AM
Mills will be but that isn't as much of a factor as Parker and Manu.

Mills, Delle, Bogut, Dante (not sure he'll play).... the Boomers wanting a medal.... if only Irving would give up on the US and commit to playing for us, we'd have a chance.

Macca76
06-18-2014, 03:25 AM

While I agree with you for young players and even in general (winning the euro tournament certainly had a positive impact for Boris and TP), I am really happy that both Manu and TP will sit this summer, especially TP who has played 3 exhausting seasons in a row. At the beginning of the season sure Boris will be in better shape but in june I think the summer rest will pay off.
Players are not puppets but they're not robots either and at some point fatigue can't be avoided. TP plays every summer since forever and has given all he has to both the Spurs and national France team. He has earned the rest and it will do him good to (and take care of his child, which is no basketball related but sure is a part of his decision).

Richie
06-18-2014, 03:38 AM
It never affects the season.

No offence, butI literally stopped reading right there. The 2012 Olympics absolutely made a difference for Manu in the 2013 Finals IMO. No surprise to me that he rested last summer and was significantly better in these finals.

For a young player like Mills or Kawhi I think it's a huge benefit, but as players age it becomes more detrimental. Pop said how banged up Parker was all year, and Manu has been injury prone for years.

Fireball
06-18-2014, 03:38 AM
I encourage Mills to play ... the more he plays the better ... and hopefully Manu makes the right decision after knowing what the benefits are

spursparker9
06-18-2014, 04:32 AM
Tony will not play.

Manu says that he will decide by the end of the week.

Boris, Patty, Banes and Tiago are playing.

TE
06-18-2014, 04:34 AM
I made a thread about this already but your question in OP has been answered...what's interesting going forward is whether Kawhi will play for the United States National Team. Pop actually sounds like he's encouraging Kawhi to play (from exit interviews).

spursparker9
06-18-2014, 04:59 AM
I made a thread about this already but your question in OP has been answered...what's interesting going forward is whether Kawhi will play for the United States National Team. Pop actually sounds like he's encouraging Kawhi to play (from exit interviews).

Ya Pop wanted Kawhi to learn something from Coach K and also to gain invaluable experience playing with Lebron, KD and others.

But Kawhi still has to make the team first. His status so far is only an invitation for the trial out.

will_spurs
06-18-2014, 05:36 AM
But Kawhi still has to make the team first. His status so far is only an invitation for the trial out.

That team is really loaded at the SF spot: 4x MVP + 2x Finals MVP + 2 rings, 1x MVP and possibly 1x Finals MVP + 1 ring.

This being said, between his recent show in the Finals, his team-oriented play and his defense, it would be weird if he wasn't in.

spursparker9
06-18-2014, 05:39 AM
That team is really loaded at the SF spot: 4x MVP + 2x Finals MVP + 2 rings, 1x MVP and possibly 1x Finals MVP + 1 ring.

This being said, between his recent show in the Finals, his team-oriented play and his defense, it would be weird if he wasn't in.

Yeah a lot of SF, Lebron, KD, Melo, Paul George, Kawhi.

But I think maybe they will put Lebron or Melo at PF and hence Kawhi's chances to make the team is greater.

exstatic
06-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Yeah a lot of SF, Lebron, KD, Melo, Paul George, Kawhi.

But I think maybe they will put Lebron or Melo at PF and hence Kawhi's chances to make the team is greater.

I don't think LeBron is playing this summer for the WC. He and Melo are absolutely PFs in international ball.

The things I'm more worried about are KDs saltiness and Jerry Colangelo. It's not unprecedented for a player to keep another player off the team. MJ did it with Isaiah Thomas in 92. I'm also concerned that Colangelo could use Kawhi to get back at Pop. There is absolutely NO love lost there.

spursparker9
06-18-2014, 07:24 AM
I don't think LeBron is playing this summer for the WC. He and Melo are absolutely PFs in international ball.

The things I'm more worried about are KDs saltiness and Jerry Colangelo. It's not unprecedented for a player to keep another player off the team. MJ did it with Isaiah Thomas in 92. I'm also concerned that Colangelo could use Kawhi to get back at Pop. There is absolutely NO love lost there.

If Lebron is not playing then they will need Kawhi even more.

I am not really worry about KD manipulating. Actually we can't really compare MJ and I.Thomas with KD and Kawhi. I.Thomas and the Bad Boys(with their trash talk and dirty plays) really got under the skin of MJ and hence it is understandable that MJ dislikes I.Thomas.
But Kawhi is not known for being a trash talker and therefore I doubt KD really hate Kawhi or something.

Regarding that Colangelo's incident with Pop, I am not sure what really happened. Is it because of the 2004 Olympics when Pop and Larry Brown won a Bronze medal? Or is it that Colangelo was from the Phoenix Suns' management and Spurs kept beating them?

Drom John
06-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Coach Jay Triano won't name names of committed players, but Cory Joseph is probable for Canada. It seems that the summer season will just be 11 friendlies in Europe since Canada didn't qualify for FIBA. That said, Canada is predicted to be pretty good in 2016 and very good in 2020. Canada should have two lottery picks (Wiggins and Stauskas) and a borderline lottery pick (Ennis) this year.

Gummi Clutch
06-18-2014, 10:14 AM
will Bonner play in the summer though, not sure he can take the exertion at his age.

DesignatedT
06-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Team USA plays a ton of small ball and Kawhi is a pretty monster fit for what they do. I would be surprised if he didn't make it strictly to play him at the 4.

bigfan
06-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Frankly, they've earned the right to play for their national team if they so chose. We know Manu is going to and I say its cool, he earned it.

kaji157
06-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Ginobili said today that he will decide during this weekend.
I am argentine, but this time i really donīt have a problem with Manu skipping the World Cup, evendoe this was his retirement tournament from the National Team.
But i think he has to be very honest with RC and Pop. He did Skip international competition last year, and said he would play this year. He can now decide not to in order to go for the repeat. But for this team to go for the repeat all the integral parts must be resigned. That means evry other player not named Ayres, Bonner, Daye or Belinelli should be back with the Spurs. If the Spurs commit to bring back the team i am OK with Manu not retiring with the NT and going for the repeat.
Otherwise i think he should play and have a last tournaments with his friends.

TheGreatYacht
06-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Argentina doesn't stand a chance with an old roster.

And the country of Argentina don't give a crap about basketball during the World Cup...

Why ruin another good season with the Spurs (who actually pay you) ?

DesignatedT
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Ginobili needs to sit if he wants to have any sort of success next season but whatever. 5 championships.

kaji157
06-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Argentina doesn't stand a chance with an old roster.

And the country of Argentina don't give a crap about basketball during the World Cup...

Cause he has a legacy here in argentina as well as with the spurs.
And as he said may times the Spurs team is a group of commited guys with one goal.
He has the same commitment with the players on the NT, at least the older ones, which were instrumental in his NBA sucess. Ginobili wonīt be Ginobili without the NT.

kaji157
06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Ginobili needs to sit if he wants to have any sort of success next season but whatever. 5 championships.

As said before i have no trouble for him sitting out this one, but i would be lying if i didnīt believe that in my ideal world Manu wopuld play this summer on a reduced role.
I would love him to play for the NT in a sixth man role. Something like 15 20 mins a game would be great.

superbigtime
06-18-2014, 11:56 AM
They're new dads who just won the championship after climbing a tall frickin mountain for the last 7 years. Take a break boys!

Horse
06-18-2014, 12:35 PM
No offence, butI literally stopped reading right there. The 2012 Olympics absolutely made a difference for Manu in the 2013 Finals IMO. No surprise to me that he rested last summer and was significantly better in these finals.

For a young player like Mills or Kawhi I think it's a huge benefit, but as players age it becomes more detrimental. Pop said how banged up Parker was all year, and Manu has been injury prone for years.
This is true and you will see much improvment from Tony next season.

Pibiel
06-18-2014, 04:08 PM

You don't know what are u saying, he loves play basketball not only in SAS!

Sorry for my english!

ducks
06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
if other players earned it then tp earned it also no double standard by posters HERE

Brunodf
06-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Isnt Manu retired from the NT?

skulls138
06-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Tony needed to sit last off season honestly. I wonder if he felt he had to play to keep from thinking about the Finals. This offseason he doesnt have that problem. Soak up that sun Tony!

jdelar03
06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Manu per twitter will play with NT good luck Manu give em hell.

xmas1997
06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Tony needs the rest IMHO. He was playing hurt in the finals. And France is projected to get a lot further in the competition than Argentina is.
In fact Argentina may not even make it out of the first round this time which would bode well for all those hoping Manu would rest.