PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a better chance of winning back to back next year than any other year b4?

apalisoc_9
06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Tittle?

Man next year is going to be exciting as fuck...Looking forward for Spurs first back to back championship

cd98
06-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Too early. Depends on draft and free agency.

xmas1997
06-17-2014, 09:37 PM
And it depends on who plays for their national teams and injuries. Lots of factors enter into it.
Luck too.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Don't think so. I think Manu and/or Tim will inevitably break down health-wise at some point during the season, but if Tony gets back to the way he was playing when he was touted as rank 3 for the MVP race then Tony's play can offset some of that health decline.

dbreiden83080
06-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Obviously that would be amazing but it's not like we need it. This fifth championship in every way is the cherry on top

TheRemix
06-17-2014, 09:55 PM
We are not a dynasty until we win back to back

Ron Swanson
06-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Have to see who comes back, and who we add via FA and possibly the draft. Other teams will make adjustments, as well.

Dingle Barry
06-17-2014, 09:58 PM
We are not a dynasty until we win back to back

This is the dumbest talking point out there. A team that wins the title every other year is not a dynasty?

Merriam Webster: a family, team, etc., that is very powerful or successful for a long period of time. Clearly the Spurs are a dynasty.

InRareForm
06-17-2014, 09:59 PM
The west is tough.

Injuries are always a thorn in the side.

Who knows what happens with the Heat and retooling/trades that occur as well.

TheRemix
06-17-2014, 10:01 PM
This is the dumbest talking point out there. A team that wins the title every other year is not a dynasty?

Merriam Webster: a family, team, etc., that is very powerful or successful for a long period of time. Clearly the Spurs are a dynasty. but the spurs have to defend it at least once

cjw
06-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Don't think so. I think Manu and/or Tim will inevitably break down health-wise at some point during the season, but if Tony gets back to the way he was playing when he was touted as rank 3 for the MVP race then Tony's play can offset some of that health decline.

Kawhi's continued development will hopefully take some of the offensive load off of Manu, and Splitter is a darn good backup / sidekick for Timmy. I'm not saying Manu / Tim can be replaced if they go down, but internal improvement will take some of the load off of them. In the ideal world, I'd bring back the core eight and maneuver to get a stretch 4 who can guard 3's to backup Diaw / Leonard whether through the MLE or trade. More than ever before, Holt can't be worried about his pocketbook - money has been flooding in from the past three late postseason runs. Marco can come back too if he wants.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-17-2014, 10:18 PM

Merriam Webster: a family, team, etc., that is very powerful or successful for a long period of time. Clearly the Spurs are a dynasty.

Yeah it's really arbitrary. Here's a good extreme example to think about.

Team A wins a championship in 2000 and 2001 and never wins again for the next 20 years.

Team B wins a championship in 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020.

Team A is considered a dynasty according to the arbitrary "repeat" rule whereas team B is not a dynasty. It's patently absurd.

siraulo23
06-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Obviously that would be amazing but it's not like we need it. This fifth championship in every way is the cherry on top

this

i dont care what happens until td retires, if they repeat/win another one before it all ends, then great but i'll always be there cheering

we all spurs fans are spoiled

SpursFan86
06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Honestly, no. The West is shaping up to be at an all-time level next year. Not saying we can't...just that it'll be extremely tough. Our best chance was probably in '04 or '06.

Josh810
06-17-2014, 10:37 PM

but the spurs have to defend it at least onceOh ok, thanks for clearing it up, dude.

wtgspurs
06-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Believe in this Spurs team, Kawhi will be a monster next season Book it

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-17-2014, 11:20 PM
If they all rest this summer, they'll have a decent shot at a repeat to start the season... which means about 15-20%. Too many variables to predict after that.

Johnny RIngo
06-18-2014, 01:22 AM
Still convinced we were the best team in '06. Had homecourt throughout the playoffs. Pop coached a pretty poor series against Dallas. Parker played like shit against them(like usual). Duncan beasted and Manu was great(except for the Dirk foul). Would have steamrolled the Suns in the Conference Finals.

z0sa
06-18-2014, 01:47 AM
Shhhhh

emanueldavidginobili
06-18-2014, 02:33 AM
It's all about staying healthy

will_spurs
06-18-2014, 02:45 AM
The main issue will be, as usual, getting out of the West.

We steamrolled the Heat, and they steamrolled everybody else in the East. I don't see any of the Eastern Conference teams suddenly becoming championship material next year.

However the West is another story:
- OKC is tough. Last year Westbrook was injured. This year Ibaka was either injured or diminished. Given the way they overplay their key players, it could happen a 3rd time in a row. Durant could blow a gasket when he realizes that the Brooks aren't getting him any closer to a ring any time soon (he's already going through that). But all in all there's a good chance OKC is in our path to the Finals next year.
- Clippers were always good, but now they have Doc Rivers. I still think we've got their number, but it's going to be close.
- Dallas could improve, and they have the 2nd best coach in the league.
- Houston/Portland I think are still going to be mostly irrelevant (they are the Denver/Utah of the 2000s), but you never know.

All in all it doesn't look like there's a really strong contender right now.

100%duncan
06-18-2014, 03:14 AM

This. I promised myself before the playoffs started last year that if the Spurs just won one more then I'd be satisfied and will forever be happy as a Spurs fan.

With that being said though, if the Spurs manage to bring Patty and Diaw back next season, we should be in for another one hell of a run.

hsxvvd
06-18-2014, 03:18 AM
Given the dominance this year, I say yes.

But health will be the issue and international play will make that even less likely.