PDA

View Full Version : Heat: Tweaks for the Heat?

midnightpulp
06-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Assuming Lebron returns. They're only a few small tweaks from returning to contention and being the favorite.

- Relegate Wade to the 6th man and keep his minutes below 30 minutes a game. He'd be scary in this role.

- Find a young and hungry wing to start at the 2. A defensive minded guy who can shoot the 3 (a la Danny Green, Bruce Bowen) would be perfect.

- Get Bosh off the 3 point line. Use him like in 2011. As a guy who can shoot the 18 footer and take his big man defender off the dribble.

- Find a stretch 4. Lewis is probably done.

- Turn Beasley into a serviceable back up for Lebron.

- Find a backup center. Maybe Oden can be healthy and rested enough to play the Birdman role next year.

The Heat don't need to go all Lakers and try to get a "name." They still have the best player in the game, a versatile center, and top shooting guard (who is admittedly showing his age and mileage, but I think the 6th man role could rejuvenate him).

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Tweaks? They're in the East so it'll be another cake walk to at least the ECF.

ezau
06-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Good points Mid, but I think they're just an Ibaka-like player away from really destroying the league. The Heat's perimeter defense is already superb except against the Spurs, but if they put a rim-protecting big who can shoot the midrange in the middle, the SuperFriends will be really, really scary.

IrisHockey
06-18-2014, 12:43 AM
I'll be happy to send Dirk to Miami.. win a few more rings.. start the rebuild early...

elmanutres
Tweaks? They're in the East so it'll be another cake walk to at least the ECF.

yep. Really it doesn't matter. Lebron alone can take them to the finals again. Unless a new force rises, like a healthy derrick rose bulls, or klove to boston/probably melo, they are ready to get shitted on again if they meet the spurs again.

Thread
Frankly, I think their goose is cooked. Only James is serviceable and who knows if he's damaged goods (mentally) going on.

They need to get shut of Wade, but, that is going to be a dicey proposition. He ain't gonna go quietly, if at all.

kobe4life
06-18-2014, 12:45 AM
The Heat is never going to win shit again now that a mentally retarded kid exposed The Great Satan in the finals. After watching this handicapped kid go off on the Great Satan there will be a lot of other guys who will also take the Great Satan to school.

Nathan89
06-18-2014, 12:54 AM
Frankly, I think their goose is cooked. Only James is serviceable and who knows if he's damaged goods (mentally) going on.

They need to get shut of Wade, but, that is going to be a dicey proposition. He ain't gonna go quietly, if at all.

Big Daddy Duncan told him he was coming and he still wasn't prepared.

Thread
06-18-2014, 01:04 AM
Big Daddy Duncan told him he was coming and he still wasn't prepared.

Because he didn't want to hear it. He didn't want the Spurs, anybody but the Spurs. He'd already lost last June. He knew that. Because ESPN didn't recount it for 12 months didn't make it not so. As much as James failed, it's mostly Riley's shit sandwich. He's the planner. He never moved an inch.

ElNono
06-18-2014, 01:08 AM
They need a solid point guard that can handle the rock and direct the traffic. I don't know what happened to Chalmers, but if this is the new him, then he's gotta go.

Wade as a 6th man could work, but it would take major Pat Riley engineering, including having him opt out and re-sign him for less (IIRC, he's due $20m next year, so Pat got his work cut out for him).

Then they need shooters that are not over the hill, and that can defend somewhat ok. Much easier to do when you're not over 35 years old.

I think they'll be fine as long as Lebron stays.

DAF86
06-18-2014, 01:10 AM
If I was Lebron I would like to team up with Kevin Love more than Melo, tbh.

Thread
06-18-2014, 01:22 AM
If I was Lebron I would like to team up with Kevin Love more than Melo, tbh.

He should be thanking his lucky starts he chose Bosh. Otherwise, he's 1 & done and you have 6 this evening. Me? I'm probably on the couch eating a Banquet peach pie.

Ghazi
06-18-2014, 02:26 AM
As long as they have Lebron they will be contenders.

Trainwreck2100
06-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Do nothing a and hope someone takes out the Spurs

100%duncan
06-18-2014, 02:43 AM
They have Lebron, they are in the east.

Warlord23
06-18-2014, 02:54 AM
It really depends on how the Big 3 contract situation plays out. If Wade and Bosh opt in and LeBron either opts in or resigns for a similar amount, that's $61M in salary for the big 3. Add in Haslem (he'll likely opt in because he probably won't command 4.6M on the open market after falling out of the rotation), Birdman and Cole salaries and you get 69M for these 6 players. Very limited flexibility from that point on. IMO if Wade opts in, LBJ will likely leave the Heat.

If all 3 opt out and sign new (somewhat back-loaded) contracts starting around 13M-15M next year, there is an opportunity for Miami to add some pieces around them. But that likely won't be enough to win a title if Wade and Bosh continue to play at the same level.

Best case for Miami (highly unlikely they do it though) is to either get Wade to agree to a much smaller salary (very unlikely that Wade agrees) or trick Wade into an opt-out, then dump him and sign a premier FA (this would not go down well with their fanbase and hamper future negotiations with almost every player).

Let's see how Riley gets them out of this situation.

mercos
06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
They need Wade to opt out and take a far smaller contract. The Heat should then move him to the bench and let him play the Manu Ginobili role. Bosh needs to move his ass away from the 3 point line and back into the paint. Signing a defensive big (Tyson Chandler would be perfect, but perhaps unattainable) would be ideal. Miami would then need a good shooting guard. Lance Stevenson is probably the best on the market, but he will likely be too expensive. Someone of that ilk, who can shoot, drive, and defend, is obviously ideal.

I'm actually fine with some of Miami's role players. Chalmers had a horrible Finals, but he is generally serviceable at the point for Miami because the ball is in Lebron's hands when he's on the floor. Chalmers can shoot and drive, it would be better to try and get him back on track than try to replace him. Norris Cole is good enough to keep as well. Battier is retiring, and Ray Allen should join him.

If they keep Lebron, Miami doesn't need much to contend. They could likely make the Finals again next year with the same roster because the East is so weak. Winning the Finals is a different story, and the Heat would have struggled with OKC or LAC if Wade played as poorly as he did against the Spurs.

Chinook
06-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Why do people keep thinking Wade should be a sixth man? He's not good enough to do that anymore. He absolutely needs James to draw attention and make plays for him. Dwyane himself can't be much of a play-maker anymore because he doesn't force mismatches or doubles. If he's on the bench, the Heat would STILL need someone next to him to run the offense, and they'd also need a starting two-guard.

Along those lines, the Heat need a play-maker to be their backup point-guard, not their starting one. There's nothing wrong with James running the SL's offense. The problems arise from the fact that he's the only one who can really do it, so there's no relief coming off the bench. Ideally, Miami would want a pass-first player like TJ Ford on their second unit, whereas their starter would be a player like Hill, Bledsoe or even Mills.

If Evan Turner could shoot (and wasn't a cancer), he'd be a good pickup for Miami. OJ Mayo would be a good trade if he didn't suck at playing basketball. There's still Steve Blake out there, and Aaron Brooks wouldn't be bad if he can be had on the cheap.

Leetonidas
06-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Trade that decrepit faggot Wade and bring in Gasol, Lowry, and that dumbass Lance Stephenson imo

baseline bum
06-18-2014, 12:32 PM
I'll be happy to send Dirk to Miami.. win a few more rings.. start the rebuild early...

For what? Norris Cole and Beasley?

TampaDude
06-18-2014, 12:38 PM
The Heat is never going to win shit again now that a mentally retarded kid exposed The Great Satan in the finals. After watching this handicapped kid go off on the Great Satan there will be a lot of other guys who will also take the Great Satan to school.

The only mentally retarded kid here is you. :lol

06-18-2014, 12:46 PM
If Miami would have gotten Ibaka instead of Bosh they would have 3 peated.

Malik Hairston
06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Why do people keep thinking Wade should be a sixth man? He's not good enough to do that anymore. He absolutely needs James to draw attention and make plays for him. Dwyane himself can't be much of a play-maker anymore because he doesn't force mismatches or doubles. If he's on the bench, the Heat would STILL need someone next to him to run the offense, and they'd also need a starting two-guard.

Along those lines, the Heat need a play-maker to be their backup point-guard, not their starting one. There's nothing wrong with James running the SL's offense. The problems arise from the fact that he's the only one who can really do it, so there's no relief coming off the bench. Ideally, Miami would want a pass-first player like TJ Ford on their second unit, whereas their starter would be a player like Hill, Bledsoe or even Mills.

If Evan Turner could shoot (and wasn't a cancer), he'd be a good pickup for Miami. OJ Mayo would be a good trade if he didn't suck at playing basketball. There's still Steve Blake out there, and Aaron Brooks wouldn't be bad if he can be had on the cheap.

Blake seems like a good fit, and getting Livingston or even Devin Harris in the 2nd unit could work when Lebron is on the bench..

Wade as a 6th man will have the problems you stated, but it appears that he's becoming a bad fit in their starting unit, too..it's just tough to accommodate an aging guard that can't shoot, especially when it's often at the expense of Bosh..

Mugen
06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Wade will never, ever accept going to the bench tbh. I'll ELE myself if that ever happens.

They need a playmaking guard that can take the load off LeBron and a young defensive big that can let Bosh be a 4. Some young shooters would be great as well.

I think they slow their pace down and days of the trapping D are over tbh.....

Captivus
06-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Is Isaiah Thomas available?

Ginobili3
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Get younger. Or have some more energy & athleticism on the team. Wade needs to get a smaller contract. Get a better shooter that can play D (they could sign Anthony Morrow and try to develop his D), and get some rim protection (dunno who they can get, Love comes to mind but he isn't particularly known for his post defense imo). Mario Chalmers is gonna have to work like crazy this summer, just a terrible series from him. Interesting that he came from Kansas, where he played good defense and consistently hit the 3. He seemed to do the same last yr and in 2012

Mugen
06-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Honestly, they're in the East. Unless Lebron dies before, they'll be in the ECF at the minimum regardless of what they do.

Franklin
06-18-2014, 06:14 PM
It's been 3 years since 11 but I bet big daddy TC remains the worst nightmare to the great Satan Lebron and the Miami cHeat tbh, no way would super fags want TC in Miami tbh.

jimbo
06-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Kyle Lowry
Lance Stephenson
Lebron
Bosh
Tyson Chandler

:cry

Thread
06-19-2014, 04:30 AM
Do nothing a and hope someone takes out the Spurs

That was fine a fortnight ago, but, no longer. I said after Game 1 it had the scent of the '04 Finals. It still does.

AaronY
06-19-2014, 04:50 AM
Reading this thread I'm even more convinced they're in deep trouble going forward. Some of the options provided here are hilarious

ambchang
06-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Trade Lebron for Kobe since Kobe > Lebron.

Am I right laker fans?

kobe4life
06-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Trade Lebron for Kobe since Kobe > Lebron.

Am I right laker fans?

Yes you are right 100 percent that God is better than the Great Satan The Great Satan should come to the Lakers to be God's sidekick.

The Gemini Method
06-19-2014, 10:47 AM
The obvious answers, really. Need to improve their bench. I think not signing Mike Miller and relying on Beasley and Oden as your adhesive players on the bench was a mistake. Neither have a clean record of being a team guy and that ensured they'd be a liability in high-pressure situations or not viable options at all. They need to bolster the 2 and 4 because the drop-off from Wade is blatant. Bosh also has lost a step and is on the down slope of his career becoming more a Sam Perkins-lite than a post presence (although, he's never been that banger they've needed...). Probably would be wise to get a serviceable 2-3 tweener like Ariza to back up the Kang. Also probably need to service Chalmers back into the 3rd PG role since he was nothing in the Finals. They may not cover all of them but I think it would be best for them to build with character rather than throw money at Melo. They are also in the weaker Eastern Conference so they may only need a few tweaks and not the overhaul that the fear-mongers and anti-Heat peeps are clamoring for.

The Batman
06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Pat Riley beggin these niggas to take pay cuts in his press conference

Thread
06-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Pat Riley beggin these niggas to take pay cuts in his press conference

He's married to them now. He's nary other choice. It's obvious he should jettison Wade & Bosh. They've given him the prime of their prime and there is no more to give. But, he can't. He owes them. They hold the markers.

TIMMYtoZO
06-19-2014, 02:00 PM
They need the 3 Kings to take huge paycuts. They also need athletic role players. Miami needs the stars to align perfectly if they want to keep Lebron in Miami. I have my doubts on that. These are huge obstacles, tbh.

Seventyniner
06-19-2014, 02:35 PM
A guard who can't shoot 3s is borderline unplayable in the Heat system (or Spurs system for that matter). They rely so much on having lots of shooting on the floor that Wade's lack of range forces Bosh to the 3-point line and doesn't let the Heat play Wade, Bosh, and a traditional big (Birdman, Haslem) at the same time without sabotaging their own offense.

It's also why the Duncan/Splitter lineup lost so much effectiveness on offense once Duncan's jumper went down the drain. I wonder if Duncan (and Splitter) will work with Chip this summer? freetiago likes to point out that Splitter was used as a pick-and-pop big man in Spain.

Imagine if the Heat could get Patty Mills to replace Chalmers...

baseline bum
06-19-2014, 03:47 PM
They need the 3 Kings to take huge paycuts. They also need athletic role players. Miami needs the stars to align perfectly if they want to keep Lebron in Miami. I have my doubts on that. These are huge obstacles, tbh.

No way James leaves. His legacy will never recover from the hit he takes by bailing on a second team. The Heat need an athletic defensive big like Marion and for Wade to give a shit and get in shape and they'll be right back with a great shot at winning their fourth.

angrydude
06-19-2014, 06:10 PM
No way James leaves. His legacy will never recover from the hit he takes by bailing on a second team. The Heat need an athletic defensive big like Marion and for Wade to give a shit and get in shape and they'll be right back with a great shot at winning their fourth.

Lebron gone. Thanks to "The Decision" and the number of times he's lost in the finals his legacy isn't going to get any better. He'll always be that amazing player who took his skills to the easiest path to ringing. If he does it again its perfectly in character.

TIMMYtoZO
06-19-2014, 07:40 PM

So James will stay with Miami if Wade and Bosh opt in? I don't see it. He would have every right to bail. ALL 3 Kings must take paycuts and then they must get younger role players. His legacy would be wasting away in Miami if the team doesn't have the cap room to improve. As far as Wade is concerned, he is already breaking down. It is more than being in shape or giving a fuck, tbh. He is 32 and will keep getting worse. A player like Wade does not age very well.

RsxPiimp
06-19-2014, 08:06 PM
man, if only wade doesnt have that player option. miami could seriously pull some major and worthy off seaon haul. for once, i do hope lebron doesn't listen to his critics. staying in miami pretty much kills his remaining prime to win titles.

clippers, heck even the knicks could surround him with better talent.