PDA

View Full Version : Used motherboards

Fabbs
06-18-2014, 01:24 PM
LATronics of L.A., Calif has a 99.1% rating on ebay with over 10K transactions.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/la.tronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Whaddaya think ?^^ Warranteed, not sure if its a hot air warrantee or actually a good one.

Spurstalk board geeks, would you purchase a used motherboard?
I know the real do it yourselfers would sauter repair it themselves.
The solution i need is the jack which recieves the AC power cord plug, i've accidently kicked it too many times.
A new jack is not sold separately so, choices are new motherboard or find someone who still sauters. (I guess some do but its getting rare to find techs who will do a lot of sautering.)

Fabbs
06-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Homepage link

http://www.la-tronics.com/Contact/

you may try to hit on the red haired chick.

DJR210
06-18-2014, 01:33 PM
You can get a new motherboard for around 100 bucks, including the new chipsets. Depending on the chipset you need, it will probably be cheaper.It won't have the bells and whistles, bit if you're concerned about used quality that may be an option.

I personally would not waste the time in trying to replace the part.

Fabbs
06-18-2014, 01:43 PM
You can get a new motherboard for around 100 bucks, including the new chipsets. Depending on the chipset you need, it will probably be cheaper.It won't have the bells and whistles, bit if you're concerned about used quality that may be an option.
What bells and whistles might the new one be lacking vs the rebuilt?

DJR210
06-18-2014, 08:41 PM
What bells and whistles might the new one be lacking vs the rebuilt?

They charge more for features. For example, the motherboard I bough was 249.00, whereas I could have got the same basic model for about 107.00.

I got "high grade" parts which give the motherboard a 5 year manufacturer warranty. I got more USB ports, Firewire port, a simplified interface for connecting the front panel LED's, power/reset buttons, an "armor" that sits on the motherboard to shield from dust, and fans that install under the armor to cool better. Also came with extra software that I didn't really use.

Which motherboard do you use currently, I can try and help you find a good deal.

MultiTroll
06-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Toshiba Qosmio F55-Q502 Intel Motherboard w Warranty LA-4161P K000065340 Tested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Qosmio-F55-Q502-Intel-Motherboard-w-Warranty-LA-4161P-K000065340-Tested-/200992030568?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2ecc0eff68

TDMVPDPOY
06-18-2014, 10:26 PM
u can buy a cheaper alternative model

or jump onto nerd pc forums that have a resell section, especially those forums where plenty of overclockers and shit, they usually part ways after evrey 6month upgrading

Fabbs
06-26-2014, 11:21 AM
u can buy a cheaper alternative model
Where?
That is reliable.

or jump onto nerd pc forums that have a resell section, especially those forums where plenty of overclockers and shit, they usually part ways after evrey 6month upgrading
i did, but im probably not techy enough to see a purchase go thru.
Plus how does the money change hands, what recourse if there is a rip off. I'm not saying it cannot be done successfully as i have done the same thing with auto parts and it worked out fine. Just that for 90 bucks from that LATronics place, while yes i did not want to put more then 45 into it, all things being equal (free shipping, warranty) is it gonna be worth it tracking a 45? Or are you guys saying they can be had for 10 bucks by overclockers who just want to dump their 6 month old stuff?

MultiTroll
07-02-2014, 04:02 PM
I personally would not waste the time in trying to replace the part.
And indeed the old motherboard was fine, it's a bunch of cableing gone disconnected and some adhesive fell apart.
Problem is, almost no one in IT bothers with mega sautering anymore, and the ones that do want 60-80 per hour yeah it's been declared better to part out and put dough into a new one.

Glad i bought the motherboard from a solid sounding joint. Refund should go okay.