PDA

View Full Version : Draft Rundown

cd021
06-18-2014, 09:28 PM
I've compiled brief descriptions of various players that have been projected to be drafted by the Spurs in first round, by various mock drafts. Some of these players have since climbed up or slid down the board, depending on who's mock you're looking at.

Various mocks differ drastically. I've seen player projected to go 15th in one board and 29th on another.

Most commonly listed players i've seen mentioned. I've also seen P.J Harston and Glen Robinson mentioned

most of these players are SFs or PF/Cs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleanthony Early-SF-23 Years Old (American)
6'8 1/4 inches (in shoes), 6'10 1/5 arm-span, 40 inch max vert.

Strengths-
"Early has good physical tools for a NBA small forward, but only average ones if he's projected to play the only position he's ever played in college, power forward. He's listed at 6-8 by Wichita State, but was measured 6-7 in shoes at the Kevin Durant Skills Academy in the summer of 2013. His wingspan was measured 6-9 there, which is average for a NBA small forward and well below average for a power forward.

He has a strong frame (219 pounds) and very good athleticism to compensate for that, though, with really nice quickness and leaping ability which he regularly takes advantage of from different spots on the floor.

Early was one of the best scorers in college basketball, averaging 24.5 points per-40 minutes pace adjusted, the fifth best rate among prospects in our Top-100 Prospects rankings. He's a fairly versatile scorer"

Weakness- "Cleanthony Early has been very streaky from beyond the arc all season. Some games he can't miss but then he'll go weeks without out making a 3.(37%3pt in college)"

"Tendency to get caught watching the action (when not the primary defender) is disconcerting. Awareness and focus can be suspect. Early has a plethora of skills, but a few major limitations have earned him the label of tweener ... he's 23 putting a cap on his physical upside. "

NBA Draft Net-18th (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/cleanthony-early)

Draft Xpress-33rd (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cleanthony-Early-65803/)

CBS Sports -21, 23, 17 (www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/2019724 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/2019724))

B/R Report-27th

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2095776-2014-nba-mock-draft-projecting-every-pick-of-round-1-post-nba-finals/page/28)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vasilje Micic-PG-6'6-20 Years Old (Serbian)
6'5 3/4 (with shoes), 67 wing span, N/A max vert (compared to Jason Kidd)

Strengths-
"Micic's passing ability is among the elite at the NBA level ... Swag. Plays with a lot of confidence. Mentally tough. Micic is a pass first and pass second type of guard with uncanny and sometimes spectacular court vision ... Teammates must be prepared for the lob or bounce pass at all times ... In the half court set he has a very strong understanding of angles in his game ...

A crafty player, easily finds cracks in the defense with a bounce pass or creating angles with momentum to quickly get to the hole ... Strong general and clock awareness ... Has a very good pick and roll game ... At 6'5, he uses his height and arms to create space against shorter and quicker opponents ... Has good footwork ... Strong with the ball ... Micic can handle double teams and pressure"

Weakness- "Average athlete, not extremely quick, he has poor lateral speed and he’s not explosive ... His torn ACL could still present a red flag ... His other big flaw is that he’s not a consistent shooter, especially behind the three point line"

NBA Draft Net-30th pick, 1st round
Draft Xpress-39th pick, 2nd round
CBS Sports-41st, 42nd, 43rd (3 draft experts)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitch McGary-C-22 Years Old (Just turned 22 ) (American)

7' FT, 1/2 Inches (with shoes) 7'0 arm span, N/A max vert

Strengths-"While McGary doesn't possess great length for a center with his 6-11 ½ or 7-0 wingspan (depending on which measurement you believe), his quickness and agility will help him on both ends of the floor. He will be able to get down the floor in transition for easy baskets,

Taking pride in setting solid picks is another area McGary will be able to help an NBA team, as he works hard to free his teammates both in ball screens and for off-ball actions. In ball screens, he focuses on sprinting hard at the ball handler to force the defense to react, which often gives him a free run to the rim.

Rolling to the rim after a pick was one of McGary's biggest sources of offensive production as both a freshman and sophomore, and he was often able to get easy looks at the basket because of the quality of the screen he set and the aggressiveness he shows, as well as the terrific spacing Michigan enjoyed."

Weakness-
"Defensively, McGary has average length and explosiveness, which will likely prevent him from offering much in the ways of rim protection, but his lateral movement will allow him to help defensively in other areas.

Injuries, played in 8 games this past season, also tested positive for Marijuana. He opted to enter the draft instead of returning to face a year long suspension"

NBA Draft Net- 38th (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/mitch-mcgary)

Draft Xpress-30th (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mitch-McGary-6431/)

CBS Sports- 49th, 34th, 36th (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/2019070)

B/R Report-28th (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2095776-2014-nba-mock-draft-projecting-every-pick-of-round-1-post-nba-finals/page/29)

Clint Capella-PF/C 20 (just turned) (Swiss)

7' 1/2 inches (with shoes), 7'4 1/2 arm span, 31.5 max vert (compared to Iam Mihimini and Amir Johnson)

Strengths-
"Capella is as good as any athlete ever coming from Europe ... What really separates him is his explosiveness around the rim ... He isn’t scared of contact and can really finish above the rim with one of two hands ... He also can really run the floor on finding easy layups and dunks in transition ... Capela is still a very raw talent with a lot of upside, but has also developed solid instinct, particularly on the defensive end ...

He also makes passes you would not expect from a player like him ... His ability to finish around the rim is pretty good, which makes him a very dangerous player on Pick and Roll situation and circling around the basket ... Defensively he is very quick, with good lateral movement and when locked in he can really be aggressive showing on pick and roll but also in switching situations"

Weakness-
"a raw, very unskilled player like him, at this moment of his career, effort should always be stellar to compensate for his weaknesses ... Too many times he is lazy on P&R situations, on calling the screens and even on running back on defense ...

Another very evident problem is his lack of strength around the basket where, even with his apparently very strong body, he is far too easily pushed around by much smaller opponents ... He does not get enough boards, considering his great size and athleticism, his lack of technique hurts his productivity considerably"

NBA Draft Net-34th (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/clint-capela)
Draft Xpress-21st (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/)
CBS Sports-15th, 18th, 22nd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damian Iglies-SF- 19 (Just turned) (French)
6'9 1/2 (with shoes) 7'3 wingspan, N/A max vert

Strengths
"He has an astonishing combination of size, physical skills, length and speed ... He’s already well developed from the muscular standpoint, especially in the upper body, with long arms and strong hands ... His solid body structure allows him to effectively withstand contact, and to attack the basket without struggles even at senior level, plus he has shown the ability to exploit his size by posting up smaller and weaker opponents ...

He has remarkable passing skills and ball handling abilities … He tends to switch to the PG position on offense, exploiting his ability to beat his direct defender to create for himself and his teammates ... He loves to attack the basket in ISO situations, exploiting his physical skills and his speed, with a slashing style of game ... He plays with energy and intensity giving an effective contribution in various aspects of the game, he’s also a good rebounder for his position ... On the defensive side he puts great pressure exploiting his body and quick hands."
Weakness
"His shooting is the biggest flaw and a point of concern, even if he has shown significant improvements since last year, especially from three point ... His mechanics in particular needs several adjustments, both from a quickness and release standpoint ... His game comprehension and playmaking skills are still rather raw, bad decision making leads to frequent turnovers, especially when put under pressure by his defender"

NBA Draft Net-Not Listed
Draft Xpress-36th (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damien-Inglis-6428/)
CBS Sports-44th

I haven't watched any of them play but have seen some highlights of some of them. If the Spurs are looking for a backup to Kawhi for next season ,Anthony seems to be the best bet on the cheap. If they are going draft and stash Inglis and Capella look like great investments, particularly Inglis.

If the Spurs have doubts about resigning Mills or having Joseph playing the backup pg, Micic seems like a capable 3rd string guard that can develop over the coming seasons.

Most of these players are foreign born, which would seem likely that if drafted they may stay overseas.

This is considered to be a loaded draft, players who were considered lottery level 6 months ago are projected in the mid second round now. Would be interesting to see if the Spurs maybe try to acquire another pick or try to trade up in the 2nd round.

Maybe even move Cojo for a 2nd pick and put their eggs in the resign Mills basket, and find a veteran PG for depth.

Chinook
06-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Great work, man. I'm an avid Think Tanker, so I've read all these scouting reports, but good on you to put them all into convenient format.

Go team Micic!

spursparker9
06-18-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the post!

cd021
06-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Great work, man. I'm an avid Think Tanker, so I've read all these scouting reports, but good on you to put them all into convenient format.

Go team Micic!

Thanks, was a bitch to compile :lol . I am always intrigued about big PGs from the general description he sounded some like De Colo but probably off on that.

I liked what I heard about Inglis but he kind of seems to be a bit close to Jean Charles (unless the Spurs think Charles is a PF) Early has some good measurements and plenty of experience and an ability to put the ball in the basket to go along with with some serious leaping ability.

Chinook
06-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks, was a bitch to compile :lol . I am always intrigued about big PGs from the general description he sounded some like De Colo but probably off on that.

I liked what I heard about Inglis but he kind of seems to be a bit close to Jean Charles (unless the Spurs think Charles is a PF) Early has some good measurements and plenty of experience and an ability to put the ball in the basket to go along with with some serious leaping ability.

I do think Micic has some De Colo in him. I like that he's still young and could still develop to be better if he comes over soon. He and Mills/Denmon would be a fine backup back court for the future.

Inglis would be my second choice, McGary third and Early last of the prospects you listed.

exstatic
06-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Don't sleep on Tavares as the pick.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Micic is interesting but non explosive PG's that don't have a 3 point shot are useless in this system but again can be taught up but I think he would get lost in the shuffle. Capella and Iglies seem like the kind of players that the Spurs usually draft and stash. I wonder if Bogdanovic will fall that far in the draft.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Don't sleep on Tavares as the pick.

He's very mobile for his size.

cd021
06-18-2014, 10:37 PM
didn't bother to name any of the 2nd round pick options. There are probably at least 10 players who have been mentioned as possibilities for the 58th and 60th picks. Several of them have been upper juniors and senior college prospects.

I mentioned above the depth of this draft. There could be a lot of 1st round talent in the late 30's to early 40s. Makes me wonder if the Spurs would move up or move a player to try and acquire an additional pick (likely Joseph)

T Park
06-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Don't get all the fervor over Anthony, seems like a bigger Austin Daye.

Tavares?!!?

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2014, 10:42 PM
didn't bother to name any of the 2nd round pick options. There are probably at least 10 players who have been mentioned as possibilities for the 58th and 60th picks. Several of them have been upper juniors and senior college prospects.

I mentioned above the depth of this draft. There could be a lot of 1st round talent in the late 30's to early 40s. Makes me wonder if the Spurs would move up or move a player to try and acquire an additional pick (likely Joseph)

I don't see the Spurs moving anyone unless they know something we don't like Boris or Patty not returning but even so nobody is going to come in and fill a need during there rookie season. It's more than likely to be a Euro who they can stash and monitor, either a combo guard to replace Manu in a few seasons or a stretch 4/5

Chinook
06-18-2014, 11:14 PM

I'd only trade Joseph for another PG. I could be persuaded that Micic/Napier for three or four cheap years makes more sense than Joseph for one cheapish year, but I'd be irked if the team ended up with only Parker and the hope Mills returned.

As to the rest of your post, do we know what happened to McAdoo? He fell off a cliff this year and hopefully stayed in school, but I heard nothing about that. If he's in, I'd like to see him as one of the second-rounders.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2014, 11:18 PM
I'd only trade Joseph for another PG. I could be persuaded that Micic/Napier for three or four cheap years makes more sense than Joseph for one cheapish year, but I'd be irked if the team ended up with only Parker and the hope Mills returned.

As to the rest of your post, do we know what happened to McAdoo? He fell off a cliff this year and hopefully stayed in school, but I heard nothing about that. If he's in, I'd like to see him as one of the second-rounders.

James McAdoo? He's slated to go 2nd round and has had a few workouts. I wouldn't mind another PG/SG kind of combo who can come off the bench and handle the ball, make the pass and shoot a 3. Napier won't be around for the Spurs unless they move up but I can see Milcic being there just not sold on him.

Baam
06-18-2014, 11:19 PM
You need to add Jokic... Flip flopped at the last second like Inglis, so it's pretty obvious he got a promise... Several think tankers like Drom John and I think he's the guy they're gonna pick.

Emperor
06-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Inglies seems interesting, but since we already have Livio possibly coming, not sure if it is in the Spurs interest to add another Frenchman at the same position.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Bogdan is teammates with Bertans as well, if he's available might take a look at him

jesterbobman
06-19-2014, 01:52 AM
The stats nerd in me likes Jokic more than just about anybody in the draft, given he's been productive and efficient as a 19 year old, and bigs who can pass(Clear tick) and shoot (More of a question) are pretty valuable in our (or really, any) system.

Of those 5,
Capela(Both Stats homerism and Swiss heritage homerism)
Ingles and Micic
Mitch and Early(They are old for prospects: Really, Really NOT a good thing)

Arcadian
06-19-2014, 03:03 AM
Early sounds good.

His name is good for making catch phrases.

NickiRasgo
06-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Is Kyle Anderson possible? Or Saric?

kobyz
06-19-2014, 06:08 AM
We need to draft a wing man who could come and contribute right away, someone who could take away Belli minutes and even to give some more rest to Manu... It's a talent loaded draft, too bad to draft and stash... Some intrigue options we have: Glenn Robinson III(my wishful pick, might need to move up a little to get him, I'm all for it), James Young(probably has the most upside in this list, also probably need to move up for him), CJ Wilcox(talented scorer, Jeremy Lamb type player), TJ Warren(pure scorer, remind me very much young Stephen Jackson), Jordan Adams(talanted scorer, Arron Afflalo type player), PJ Hairston(elite shooter, clone as a player of formar nba single season leader in 3 point shooting Q Rich), Bogdan Bogdanovic(savvy, smart, solid all around), DeAndre Daniels(savvy, smart, does the little things to help the team win)...

AFBlue
06-19-2014, 06:32 AM
Great work to put an initial list together, nice format! I'll do what I can to add as time permits.

I think as we add profiles, the two that stand out to me are Jokic and Bogdanovic. The Spurs have a clear affinity for international players and those two would seem to fit the Spurs mold...versatile and smart. As was mentioned before, Bogdanovic plays with Bertans so you can scout under the pretense of checking in on Bertans' development. And Jokic had a similar disappearing act to Inglis after the Hoops Summit.

Of the list you put together, I think Inglis is the front runner due to size, age, potential, international pedigree, and the aforementioned disappearing act after Hoops Summit (a la Jean-Charles).

exstatic
06-19-2014, 06:52 AM

Anderson, slight possiblity, but Saric is scheduled to go top 10.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 07:03 AM
I think Anderson will be gone by #30, and Saric for sure.
As for drafting and stashing, are not first rounders guaranteed salaries?
If so, I don't think the Spurs would pay a player and not bring him over, unless there is a way around it.

Uriel
06-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Thanks. :toast

exstatic
06-19-2014, 07:13 AM
I think Anderson will be gone by #30, and Saric for sure.
As for drafting and stashing, are not first rounders guaranteed salaries?
If so, I don't think the Spurs would pay a player and not bring him over, unless there is a way around it.

:lol :lol They JUST did it last year with LJC!!! You also don't pay them while they are stashed, and under contract to another team.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 07:18 AM
:lol :lol They JUST did it last year with LJC!!! You also don't pay them while they are stashed, and under contract to another team.

Thanks for the clarification. That explains the situation that happened with Tiago Splitter too.

Uriel
06-19-2014, 09:01 AM
The odds are, though, that the Spurs won't draft any of the above players now that they're being discussed in SpursTalk. :lol

spursparker9
06-19-2014, 09:09 AM
The odds are, though, that the Spurs won't draft any of the above players now that they're being discussed in SpursTalk. :lol

True, true

Baam
06-19-2014, 09:18 AM
DX posted some new stat breakdowns... The Power Forward page is especially interesting with Jokic and Bairstow (who also worked out for them) being surprinsingly high in a number of categories :

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-the-2014-Power-Forward-Crop-4610/

Jokic is the assist leader even above Saric, he's also the true shooting % leader above Capela (who mostly dunks) and he shoots the 4th most 3 pointers...

I'd bet the house on Jokic being the first rounder at this point... Hopefully they trade for another pick.

stnick2261
06-19-2014, 09:40 AM
The reason most mock sites are all over the place is the fact that this is a deep draft. If you go by Tier system, you have a few Franchise players... several Starters... then a whole ton of Role Players that could be taken in any order based on team need.

I would personally try to move up and go for Clint Capela or Elfrid Payton

Or stay put and get Inglis, Bogdanovic, or Tavares.

Baam
06-19-2014, 09:46 AM
^ A numbers of us were big on Payton when he was projected in the late 20s but now he's projected as early as 8... His stock is just too high to even trade up for him imo.

stnick2261
06-19-2014, 09:51 AM
that's true... I just don't really want any PGs other than him :oops

Chinook
06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
It should be noted that the players' stocks are not actually changing this much. It's just the media's guess as to what teams are thinking that changes. If Payton goes in the top 10, it will be because some team has long thought he was worth a top-10 pick, not because DX moved him up in their mock.

Baam
06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
It should be noted that the players' stocks are not actually changing this much. It's just the media's guess as to what teams are thinking that changes. If Payton goes in the top 10, it will be because some team has long thought he was worth a top-10 pick, not because DX moved him up in their mock.

Obviously the mocks leading up to the draft are more about inside info and guessing right than rating prospects but I dont know about "long thought" when workouts can pretty much decide everything.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 11:15 AM

I am surprised you have to mention this, but I guess there are some out there who are not aware of this.

TheGoldStandard
06-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Anderson, slight possiblity, but Saric is scheduled to go top 10.

I like Kyle Anderson but he looks like he's playing in slow motion.his size and release make him interesting as a small ball 4 though.

cd021
06-19-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't see the Spurs moving anyone unless they know something we don't like Boris or Patty not returning but even so nobody is going to come in and fill a need during there rookie season. It's more than likely to be a Euro who they can stash and monitor, either a combo guard to replace Manu in a few seasons or a stretch 4/5

I think that with the talent available in the middle of the second round,they'd consider moving up or acquiring a 3rd second rounder. If Micic really falls to the second round (all but Draft Net has him higher than 39th) They could take someone like McGary with the 30th and stash the other 3 picks or sign one to a Blair deal on the cheap.

As for Cojo, the Spurs could replace him a veteran PG who is slightly cheaper (like Udrih). The Spurs could still resign Mills. 3 point guards came in handy this season and will likely next year.

If the Spurs don't stash, i agree that the player they bringing wouldn't likely be a player who can contribute next year.

Chinook
06-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Obviously the mocks leading up to the draft are more about inside info and guessing right than rating prospects but I dont know about "long thought" when workouts can pretty much decide everything.

Nah. Workouts mean almost nothing. It's all about -season scouting. Workouts just confirm what teams already knew.

cd021
06-19-2014, 12:24 PM

I think one of those sites had him in the 40s. I thought at one point he was considered to be near the lottery level. I dont watch much college ball so i couldn't tell you.

The Spurs definitely need 3 Pgs, I like Cojo but I think he can be replaced with a vet point guard for slightly cheaper than his 2.1 million. I still think Mills will return, maybe even if it's on a 1+1 David West type of deal.

If they believe they can resign Mills and they like a prospect in the middle of the 2nd, i wouldn't be shocked if he is moved. Philly has 5 second rounders, i'd think they'd be ok with moving one for a 3rd year guard with some useful skills, instead of someone that may never even play in the NBA.

I was thinking about the Dejuan Blair deal, which is basically to the type your mentioned.

Baam
06-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Nah. Workouts mean almost nothing. It's all about -season scouting. Workouts just confirm what teams already knew.

Wouldn't be so definitive about the whole thing... The Greek Freak wasn't selected due to his regular season and a lot of others weren't...

Chinook
06-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Wouldn't be so definitive about the whole thing... The Greek Freak wasn't selected due to his regular season and a lot of others weren't...

Yes he was. His agent sent tapes to all the teams. He was already a mid-first-rounder before the combine.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Now Joel Embiid might have broken his foot. I wonder how far he will fall.

Mr. Body
06-19-2014, 01:12 PM
What people will do to keep from playing in Cleveland.

Seventyniner
06-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Now Joel Embiid might have broken his foot. I wonder how far he will fall.

I could see Philly taking him at #2 because they could just tank another year. Kind of like they did with Noel. Then again, a scoring SF like Parker is a great fit for their roster.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 01:17 PM
What people will do to keep from playing in Cleveland.

:lmao
You should have posted this in blue font, some on here will maybe believe you.

Baam
06-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Yes he was. His agent sent tapes to all the teams. He was already a mid-first-rounder before the combine.

I think it's 75-25 on average and can vary on an individual basis. The Bucks have said they wouldn't have taken him if they only could rely on the tapes...

Chinook
06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
I think it's 75-25 on average and can vary on an individual basis. The Bucks have said they wouldn't have taken him if they only could rely on the tapes...

So they had to confirm what they knew... It works both ways, teams also bring in guys for workouts they never intend to draft just to make sure their boards are set. Or you can have a situation like with the Spurs when they brought him in for a workout even though the media thought he was going to be a lottery pick.

Of course it can vary. If someone looks unathletic on tape but tests really well at the combine, that makes a difference. Vice-versa as well. But players don't really shoot up boards like the media says they do. The media instead just catches up to what teams are thinking.

elemento
06-19-2014, 03:21 PM
My favorite was Porzings, but he wouldn't fall to SA (OKC would probably take him) and now he is out of the draft.

Right now I am also in the Micic bandwagon. I like Inglis, but Micic is definitely a better pick with the 30th pick. I wouldn't mind Glen Robinson III as well. I think he is getting overlooked. He is still a great prospect, especially if you can get him with the 30th pick.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 03:25 PM
I think OKC has made someone a promise, just a hunch.

Thomas82
06-19-2014, 04:48 PM
If we had to choose between these players, Clint Capella would be my choice.

TheGoldStandard
06-19-2014, 05:18 PM
I think that with the talent available in the middle of the second round,they'd consider moving up or acquiring a 3rd second rounder. If Micic really falls to the second round (all but Draft Net has him higher than 39th) They could take someone like McGary with the 30th and stash the other 3 picks or sign one to a Blair deal on the cheap.

As for Cojo, the Spurs could replace him a veteran PG who is slightly cheaper (like Udrih). The Spurs could still resign Mills. 3 point guards came in handy this season and will likely next year.

If the Spurs don't stash, i agree that the player they bringing wouldn't likely be a player who can contribute next year.

I really don't like McGary as a fit on the Spurs but that's personal preference, I don't think he'll be there at 30 when the Spurs draft but you are correct there are a ton of solid players in the 2nd round. I could see the Spurs moving someone to get a 3rd option but I'd much rather see them deal Ayres somewhere than to give up Joseph, that guy fits the Spurs motif, he comes in when asked and does what he's told. He's been bumped around and hasn't cried about playing time.

I can't wait to see the Summer League games, whoever we draft, we will get to see what they can offer.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 05:33 PM
I really don't like McGary as a fit on the Spurs but that's personal preference, I don't think he'll be there at 30 when the Spurs draft but you are correct there are a ton of solid players in the 2nd round. I could see the Spurs moving someone to get a 3rd option but I'd much rather see them deal Ayres somewhere than to give up Joseph, that guy fits the Spurs motif, he comes in when asked and does what he's told. He's been bumped around and hasn't cried about playing time.

I can't wait to see the Summer League games, whoever we draft, we will get to see what they can offer.

Same here, unless they draft and stash.

AFBlue
06-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Some have mentioned Capela, but I honestly don't see him as a realistic option where the Spurs are drafting. I think the same for Anderson...just don't see either guy falling all the way to the last pick in the first.

Purch
06-19-2014, 06:09 PM
You guys need to draft your next euro star wing like you did with Manu and Parker lol. Kawahi can't be the only star of the future lol

BackHome
06-19-2014, 06:26 PM
My favorite was Porzings, but he wouldn't fall to SA (OKC would probably take him) and now he is out of the draft.

Right now I am also in the Micic bandwagon. I like Inglis, but Micic is definitely a better pick with the 30th pick. I wouldn't mind Glen Robinson III as well. I think he is getting overlooked. He is still a great prospect, especially if you can get him with the 30th pick.

I agree Micic or Inglish is our 30th pick. After that I would somehow trade CoJo and get a top second round pick could possibility get Bog

TheyCallMePro
06-19-2014, 06:27 PM
IMO, here are the players we want this year and who will be available where were picking at 30:

K.J McDaniels (Clemson) - Were still looking for a back-up SF, and this guy is 6'6, plays very aggressive on D and boards extremely well. Needs to work on his 3 ball.

Joe Harris (Virginia) - Another 6'6 SF, but his offensive game is more refined.

DeAndre Daniels (UConn) - 6'8 combo SF/PF that has an outside shot and inside game as well. Would be a slight reach at 30 though.

Picks 58, and 60:

Josh Huestis (Stanford) - 6'7 SF who can do a bit of everything. Not as talented as McDaniels, Harris or DeAndre Daniels, but not a bad concession either.

Ioannis Papaetrou (Greece) - 6'8 SF who I saw play at Texas for one year. He can handle the ball really well and score inside and out. Question his toughness a bit though.

Nick Johnson (Arizona) - Most likely won't be available at 58, but he's a hell of an athlete at PG and wouldn't be passed up if he was available. If he had satyed at Arizona 1 more year he would have been a lock for the 1st round.

Dwight Powell (Stanford) - 6'11 power forward with a ton of muscle and a good feel around the rim. Like Johnson, he'll most likely be drafted before the Spurs can get to him. But he'd certainly be on their list.

Pretty sure we'll draft K.J. Mcdaniels at 30 and trade the 58, and 60th picks for the 48th pick and try to get DeAndre Daniels. We'll see.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 06:39 PM
IMO, here are the players we want this year and who will be available where were picking at 30:

K.J McDaniels (Clemson) - Were still looking for a back-up SF, and this guy is 6'6, plays very aggressive on D and boards extremely well. Needs to work on his 3 ball.

DeAndre Daniels (UConn) - 6'8 combo SF/PF that has an outside shot and inside game as well. Would be a slight reach at 30 though.

Picks 58, and 60:

Josh Huestis (Stanford) - 6'7 SF who can do a bit of everything. Not as talented as McDaniels, Harris or DeAndre Daniels, but not a bad concession either.

Ioannis Papaetrou (Greece) - 6'8 SF who I saw play at Texas for one year. He can handle the ball really well and score inside and out. Question his toughness a bit though.

Nick Johnson (Arizona) - Most likely won't be available at 58, but he's a hell of an athlete at PG and wouldn't be passed up if he was available. If he had satyed at Arizona 1 more year he would have been a lock for the 1st round.

Dwight Powell (Stanford) - 6'11 power forward with a ton of muscle and a good feel around the rim. Like Johnson, he'll most likely be drafted before the Spurs can get to him. But he'd certainly be on their list.

Pretty sure we'll draft K.J. Mcdaniels at 30 and trade the 58, and 60th picks for the 48th pick and try to get DeAndre Daniels. We'll see.

Nice take, thanks.

BatManu20
06-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Joe Harris would be a massive reach at 30. Not happening. The Spurs will likely go SF or PG, depending on what Patty does in FA. A big man like Tavares is not out of the question, though.

cd021
06-19-2014, 09:31 PM

I don't watch much (really any) college ball so most of my opinions are simply based on analyst and mixes. You seem like you follow college ball more so than I do so you have a ,likely, better idea than I would about him.

Based on his size and mobility (specifically his transition game and being able to switch on screens) that ,alone, sounds promising throw in some boarding and he 't can't be far behind Baynes and Ayers in terms of usefulness as a 4th big.

I necessarily want the Spurs to move Cojo, but I really don't think there is any market for Ayers, even to Phily who has 5 second rounders (very few 2nd rounders ever play in the NBA or have a career longer than 4 years) if packaged with Cojo they'd have a trade value of 5.8 million which could be appealing to a team with a player with more than one year remaining, given both are free agents after next season.

The Wizards could be interested, they have 7 players on the hook for 45,500,000. Ariza and Gortat (3rd and 5th in scoring) are both UFA's and had strong seasons. They'd eat up a big chunk of that $17.5 in cap space. If both receive more than last years salaries that would be great than $14.5 million.

Wizards get: Ayers, & Joseph
Spurs Get: Webster/Porter and the 46th pick in the draft

I'd wonder if they would move Porter or Webster who have $8.7 and $16.8 million owed to them over the next 2 and 3 years. A move would save them money now (between 500,000 and 1.2 million) this years and millions down the road.

Cojo ,to say, Phily makes some since with Brown being there and the 32nd, 39th, 47th, 52nd, & 54th picks. I doubt they intend to draft 7 players ,but who knows.

Spurs get: 39th and 47th picks

76'ers get: Cory Joseph, & the 58th pick

or

Spurs get: 32nd and 52nd picks

76'ers get: Cory Joseph, 58th & the 60th picks

The Cojo has value to the Spurs as a defender and his capability to initiate the offense. I also think he is underrated on offense, he doesn't take bad shots and can knock down jumpers off screens along with attacking the basket. Not a great 3pt shooter but is a low volume, high percentage type ala Parker. He could be a competent backup to MCW.

But I think the Spurs have a legit shot at resigning Mills and Cojo can be replaced with a veteran guard.

I like the idea of acquiring a 3rd pick or at least moving up the 2nd round to nap another quality prospect.

cd021
06-19-2014, 09:35 PM
You guys need to draft your next euro star wing like you did with Manu and Parker lol. Kawahi can't be the only star of the future lol

Not bad for the 15th pick in a bad draft. After Irving and maybe Thompson, he's been the best in the draft thus far.

Mr. Body
06-19-2014, 10:10 PM
McGary will have an impact in the league somewhere, I think, although his upside is limited. But as a hard as banger who is mobile and has skills, at the of the first round, early second he's worth a shot for some team.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 10:20 PM
NBAdraft.net has Bogdanovic going to the Spurs, a 6.6 SG.

TheGoldStandard
06-19-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't watch much (really any) college ball so most of my opinions are simply based on analyst and mixes. You seem like you follow college ball more so than I do so you have a ,likely, better idea than I would about him.

Based on his size and mobility (specifically his transition game and being able to switch on screens) that ,alone, sounds promising throw in some boarding and he 't can't be far behind Baynes and Ayers in terms of usefulness as a 4th big.

I necessarily want the Spurs to move Cojo, but I really don't think there is any market for Ayers, even to Phily who has 5 second rounders (very few 2nd rounders ever play in the NBA or have a career longer than 4 years) if packaged with Cojo they'd have a trade value of 5.8 million which could be appealing to a team with a player with more than one year remaining, given both are free agents after next season.

The Wizards could be interested, they have 7 players on the hook for 45,500,000. Ariza and Gortat (3rd and 5th in scoring) are both UFA's and had strong seasons. They'd eat up a big chunk of that $17.5 in cap space. If both receive more than last years salaries that would be great than $14.5 million.

I'd wonder if they would move Porter or Webster who have $8.7 and $16.8 million owed to them over the next 2 and 3 years. A move would save them money now (between 500,000 and 1.2 million) this years and millions down the road.

Cojo ,to say, Phily makes some since with Brown being there and the 32nd, 39th, 47th, 52nd, & 54th picks. I doubt they intend to draft 7 players ,but who knows.

or

The Cojo has value to the Spurs as a defender and his capability to initiate the offense. I also think he is underrated on offense, he doesn't take bad shots and can knock down jumpers off screens along with attacking the basket. Not a great 3pt shooter but is a low volume, high percentage type ala Parker. He could be a competent backup to MCW.

But I think the Spurs have a legit shot at resigning Mills and Cojo can be replaced with a veteran guard.

I like the idea of acquiring a 3rd pick or at least moving up the 2nd round to nap another quality prospect.

McGary has great footwork for his size, he's not super fast but he's able to get set quick to pick up defenders off pick n roll which is nice but his length is very suspect for his size. His wing span is a shade under 7' so he's not really a rim protector and he doesn't have a jump shot or a post game but that could be developed. I do agree that he has more upside than Ayres as a backup because Ayres has been in the league a while, been in the college scene and has absolutely zero game. I don't think he'll be there at 30, more than likely I'd see him going to Houston as they potentially will try to move Asik and they will want a big who can rebound and run the floor.

If moving Joseph could net us Porter and some picks I would consider it, lots of upside with Porter but that scrappy play of Joseph is something we'd probably miss and the FA at PG don't have that kind of panache when they need that spark off the bench. In that situation then we would have to draft a PG in the 1st and send him through summer league or take a combo guard and try to convert them like they have tried to do with Neal, Colo, etc. And if they go that route hopefully they go with someone who has size and/or speed.

BatManu20
06-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I think McGary's positive marijuana test alone will keep the Spurs away tbh.

exstatic
06-19-2014, 10:51 PM

That, and I don't think the Spurs are looking for #30 talent at #30. If that's all that is there, they'll either take a flyer on a foreigner, or dump the pick.

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 10:54 PM
That, and I don't think the Spurs are looking for #30 talent at #30. If that's all that is there, they'll either take a flyer on a foreigner, or dump the pick.

There is a slight possibility they will move up IMHO.

TheGoldStandard
06-19-2014, 11:00 PM

I didn't even think about that. That would probably keep them away

Chinook
06-19-2014, 11:03 PM

or

I don't want Webster's contract, but I'd like Porter. I don't think Washington would do that, though, especially not for Ayres. I'd do both Philly trades provided a PG was taken at 30. I'd prefer the second one. I'd consider the Sixers to be an unlikely partner as well, though.

TheGoldStandard
06-19-2014, 11:12 PM
I don't want Webster's contract, but I'd like Porter. I don't think Washington would do that, though, especially not for Ayres. I'd do both Philly trades provided a PG was taken at 30. I'd prefer the second one. I'd consider the Sixers to be an unlikely partner as well, though.

Although highly unlikely Spurs could do those trades with 76ers and then package those picks to move into the top 15 to take a higher prospect. Atlanta, Orlando, Minny might make solid trade partners

exstatic
06-19-2014, 11:14 PM
There is a slight possibility they will move up IMHO.

They have assets overseas, plus next year's pick, something Phoenix has been sniffing around for. I think they realized that a lot of first rounders in one draft means a lot of players needing to get paid all at the same time.

Picks that may be in play
16 or 19
19 or 16

xmas1997
06-19-2014, 11:34 PM
They have assets overseas, plus next year's pick, something Phoenix has been sniffing around for. I think they realized that a lot of first rounders in one draft means a lot of players needing to get paid all at the same time.

Picks that may be in play
16 or 19
19 or 16

Excellent post, I was just wondering about that. And the Suns were the first team that came to mind.
Or they could draft and stash.

Vito Corleone
06-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Pretty sure no NBA team wants to do business with the Spurs. I think everyone pretty much knows that when you do business with the Spurs they are going to come out on top. And when that happens your fans are going to let you know about it.

Same thing happened a few years ago when the Lakers had Jerry West. No one wanted to do business with the Lakers because they didn't want to give the Lakers the Next Kobe.

exstatic
06-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Pretty sure no NBA team wants to do business with the Spurs. I think everyone pretty much knows that when you do business with the Spurs they are going to come out on top. And when that happens your fans are going to let you know about it.

Same thing happened a few years ago when the Lakers had Jerry West. No one wanted to do business with the Lakers because they didn't want to give the Lakers the Next Kobe.

It's a business, not high school. There are teams that want to add or subtract picks from this draft.

The Spurs aren't infallible, either. Remember Malik Hairston for Dragic? Phoenix is one of those teams wanting to shed a pick or two...

TheCerebral1
06-20-2014, 07:04 AM
I've seen a number of mocks include Chad Ford's mock having McGary at #30. I personally hate that. There is quite a range of guys who could fall to #30. It all depends on your take. I like Micic, Capela, Christon, Daniels and a number of other options. I would love for the Spurs to buy a higher 2nd round pick to get a secondary option as well. But we likely know that's a pipedream.

100%duncan
06-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Why are you all lookng to draft and stash? As you have said this is a deep draft and if youbhave forgotten we still dont have a clear back-up to whi, isnt this draft the best place to get a backup to Whi? Or is Bertans finally playing next season

exstatic
06-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Why are you all lookng to draft and stash? As you have said this is a deep draft and if youbhave forgotten we still dont have a clear back-up to whi, isnt this draft the best place to get a backup to Whi? Or is Bertans finally playing next season

Maybe they're stockpiling for the changeover when Tim and Manu leave?

We didn't seem to miss having a backup 3. I think the Spurs now dictate the matchups, not the other team.

100%duncan
06-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Maybe they're stockpiling for the changeover when Tim and Manu leave?

We didn't seem to miss having a backup 3. I think the Spurs now dictate the matchups, not the other team.

Isn't putting the future players one by one in the roster better than bringing them all at once after the big 3 era? It gives them time to groove within the system and an opportunity to play and be coached by 4 hof'ers and it's goig to be risky to bring them all at once and expect for them to already deliver, that will make us a bottom feeder.

As for the sf spot well I guess you dont fix what's not broken since the team really looked perfect in the finals.

stnick2261
06-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Some have mentioned Capela, but I honestly don't see him as a realistic option where the Spurs are drafting. I think the same for Anderson...just don't see either guy falling all the way to the last pick in the first.

There's no way he's available at 30, but he may fall just far enough for us to trade up for him. That is the best outcome of this draft.

Picks 58, and 60:

I really don't want any of those guys, and I don't think we need a SF. We already have projects in Daye, LJC, and Bertans. All we need is one of them to be healthy enough for spot minutes.

stnick2261
06-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I'd be happy if we went all big men in the draft:

Trade up for Clint Capela or stay put at 30 for Nikola Jokic or Walter Tavares

Take Khem Birch and Isaiah Austin in the 2nd round

Uriel
06-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I like the idea of the Spurs drafting Walter Tavares, but not as a draft-and-stash candidate, but rather, as someone who can come aboard immediately.

Even though Tavares is already 22, he only started playing basketball at the age of 17, so there's plenty of room to develop him. And what better place to develop players than in Pop's system in San Antonio?

Tavares is a mobile 7"3 big man with a mammoth wingspan and hands that are even bigger than Kawhi's. His defensive potential is sky high. I'd certainly rather see him taking spot big man minutes next season than Errors.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2014, 11:01 AM
I like the idea of the Spurs drafting Walter Tavares, but not as a draft-and-stash candidate, but rather, as someone who can come aboard immediately.

Even though Tavares is already 22, he only started playing basketball at the age of 17, so there's plenty of room to develop him. And what better place to develop players than in Pop's system in San Antonio?

Tavares is a mobile 7"3 big man with a mammoth wingspan and hands that are even bigger than Kawhi's. His defensive potential is sky high. I'd certainly rather see him taking spot big man minutes next season than Errors.

His standing reach is freaking ridiculous. Teach this man the sky hook and call it a day.

xmas1997
06-20-2014, 11:18 AM
I am beginning to like Tavares too, but do the Spurs really need a C?
I think they may want a PF more, and maybe even a SF back up for Leonard like say Glenn Robinson III.

stnick2261
06-20-2014, 11:35 AM
At this point, they have to be planning on a post-duncan team, so it shouldn't matter PF or C. Splitter is good, but the rest of our big men are getting older, or just not good enough. We have plenty of room for growth at PF or C.

Johnny RIngo
06-20-2014, 01:04 PM

Spurs didn't miss it but it'd be nice to have one in case of another game 2 scenario where Green and Kawhi get in foul trouble. Trotting out Marco that night was a disaster. And we only played him because we had no one else available on the bench.

exstatic
06-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Isn't putting the future players one by one in the roster better than bringing them all at once after the big 3 era? It gives them time to groove within the system and an opportunity to play and be coached by 4 hof'ers and it's goig to be risky to bring them all at once and expect for them to already deliver, that will make us a bottom feeder.

As for the sf spot well I guess you dont fix what's not broken since the team really looked perfect in the finals.
There's also the matter of playing time. Unless the Spurs can trade up into the teens the draftee won't play. You've just wasted a year paying a player you couldn't evaluate in game conditions.

cd021
06-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Glen Robinsons III-20 Years old- SF-6'6 3/4 (with shoes) -6'10 wing span-41.5 max vert

Comparison-Trevor Ariza

Strengths:
Tremendously athletic small forward who plays with a lot of energy … A great above-the-rim offensive player, Robinson is on the receiving end of many a lob pass … Ambidextrous. Can drive either direction with either hand ... Finishes strong at the basket, as well ... Good NBA body, standing 6'6" with a solid frame and a 6'9" wingspan ... Good at probing the defense for holes and finding a driving lane to the basket ... Runs the floor well and can be a terror in transition ... Good lateral quickness and long arms makes him a solid perimeter defender ...

Attacks the offensive glass and scores on a number of putbacks and second-chance tip-ins ... Has great defensive instincts which, along with his long arms, allow him to jump the passing lane and take the ball the other way for an easy finish ... Solid shooter from midrange. Shot 49% overall, which is a testament to his efficiency and patience on offense

Weakness-
Decent, but not great outside shooter ... Needs to gain consistency to shoot from behind the arc at an NBA level ... Doesn't always get his feet set when shooting from distance ... Shot 31% from 3 this season. An unexpectedly low number considering his shooting ability ... Robinson is still maturing as a player. He's only 20 years old and often has the mental lapses or losses of concentration that come with that ...

For being such a tenacious offensive rebounder, Robinson doesn't exert the same effort on the defensive glass. Averaged only 3 defensive boards per game this season ... Often needs others to set him up to score … Should look to tighten loose handle. Needs to protect the ball better when it's in his hands ... Can often get overmatched and bullied by bigger forwards

NBA Draft Net-21st
Draft Xpress-32nd pick, 2nd round
CBS Sports-30th, 33rd 49th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OV1Ko6CXw
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spencer Dinwiddie-21 years old-PG/SG-6'5 1/2 (with shoes) 6'8 1/4 wingspan-N/A Max Vert

Comparison-Brian Shaw

Strengths-
Dinwiddie is a dual offensive threat, who averaged 18.9 points and 4.1 assists per 40 minutes over his last two seasons at Colorado … Dangerous in transition – glides down the floor and slithers his way to the basket … Smooth. Good body control and great touch on his floaters … Uses nifty hop and Euro steps to get to the rim… Draws a bunch of fouls, averaging 9 FTA per 40 over his last two seasons at CU … Excellent free-throw shooter, making better than 81 percent of his attempts. Solid three-point shooter, making more than 41 percent of his attempts.

Very effective scoring and finding open perimeter shooters when driving off the pick and roll … Tallest player classified as a point guard at the combine – his height allows him to shoot unimpeded and easily find open teammates … Makes crisp interior passes … Good off-the-ball defense – denies very well … Fast – gets down the floor quickly and can stick with talented scorers.

Weakness-
Scouts often wonder why his level of intensity is not at the same level at all time. Should look to be a little more selfish (assertive). Has standout ability but doesn't always take it upon himself to be the star that he should be ... Still recovering from a torn ACL that he suffered in January … Questionable whether he is a true point guard or more a combo though excels in ball handling and passing … Slender build – bounces off stronger players on both ends of the floor …

Avoids contact when driving – prefers to pull up or pass out rather than go all the way to the hole … Limited dribble moves … Doesn’t show much ability to create his own shot, frequently relying of screens to get open … Too dependent on his right hand – shoots with his right on drives to the left side of the rim… Easily picked off by screens on the defensive side of the ball, which is seemingly due to a combination of a lack of awareness and strength .

NBA Draft Net-33rd, 2nd round
Draft Xpress-40th
CBS Sports-30th, 51st, 57th

*according the sites (CBS sports has 3 different analyst) his draft range falls in between our 30th pick and our 58th and 60th picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_8FX6VbbNw
Jarnell Stokes-22 Years Old-PF-6'9 (in shoes) 7'1 1/4 wingspan

Comparison: Dejuan Blair

Strengths- : Stokes is a powerful power forward who is a load to stop on the low block … Great at establishing position around the basket, which is reflected by his 53% shooting from the field this past season … Great rebounder for his size; averaged 10.6 RPG last season

… Plays with a high motor and crashes the boards/boxes out tenaciously … Plays with a high IQ and has a good team-first attitude for a guy trying to make it in the league … Great touch around the rim. Very efficient finisher in the post …Very difficult player to back down in the post … Averaged over 6 free throw attempts per game this season, he connected at a rate of 70% …

Recorded 22 double-doubles this year … Gets up and down the floor quickly in transition …Decent jumper from out to mid-range … With a 7'1" wingspan, Stokes has fantastic length … Good at using a few quick dribbles to get around his man in the paint …

Weaknesses: Undersized from a height standpoint for an NBA post player, although this can be alleviated some by his wingspan, strength and motor. Will struggle to defend face-up 4's on the perimeter due to his below-average lateral quickness…Somewhat limited offensive game, but he does contribute a lot in other areas

Overall: Stokes is a powerful and well-built power forward who has the maturity and the skill set to contribute as a role player right away for an NBA team. He's a skilled post scorer and a tenacious rebounder and could get a look in the late first round…

NBA Draft Net-47th
Draft Xpress-26th
CBS Sports- 28th, 30th, 37th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyXi58BWWQ

cd021
06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Walter Taveres-C-22 Years Old-7'3-7'9 Wingspan

Strengths- Standing 7-3, with an astonishing wingspan of 7-9 he has tremendous size, combined with excellent mobility for a big man with his dimensions ... He’s always active on the floor, showing great progresses from a conditioning standpoint, compared to when he arrived on the Canary Islands ... Offensively he’s really effective in pick and roll situations, showing the ability to finish above the rim after the cut with aggressiveness, furthermore his mobility and coordination make him an effective contributor in creating space for his teammates with solid screens.

Most of his offensive repertoire is based on dunks and put backs after an offensive rebound, but he has shown significant improvements on his hook shot using his right hand ... He has a soft touch and he’s a solid free throw shooter ... Defensively he’s a great pick and roll defender, being able to recover in the painted area after helping on the screen ... Plus with his great size and wingspan he’s definitely a great rim protector.

Weakness-He lacks explosiveness and elite athleticism, furthermore as per all the big man of comparable size, the physical and muscular improvement must be developed carefully, in order to avoid back and structural problems ... Offensively he’s still rather raw, he lacks post moves and struggles to effectively take position in the painted area ...

Furthermore his lack of solid ball handling skills makes it difficult for him to create his own shot, often relying on offensive rebounds and assists from teammates ... Despite his size he’s not yet an elite rebounder, he jumps on shot fakes too often, committing unnecessary fouls ...

NBA Draft Net-40th
Draft Xpress-31st
CBS Sports-33rd, 39th 44th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJotAdtzHEI
Bogdan Bogdanovic-21-(Serbian)- SG- 6'8 1/4- 6'11 wing span-35.8 Max Vert

Strengths-
solid structure and athletic abilities he can definitely adapt his game to the NBA level, with the potential to defend both on guards and small forwards ... He possesses natural game comprehension and poise which allows him to play the role of offensive facilitator and game distributor (4 assists of average thus far) ... During this season he started playing as a secondary ball handler, forced to play as a point guard, showing remarkable passing skills and court vision, even if he's not perfectly suited for the role ...

He has a slashing style of game, and with his solid structure he’s really effective in drawing contacts when attacking the basket or posting up other backcourt players, exploiting his size and physical strength ... This combined with his instincts allow him to also be a reliable rebounder and a consistent defensive presence ... On the defensive side he shows great attitude and quick hands, with the ability to put a concrete pressure on his opponent especially in 1vs.1 situations … He’s also effective in the passing lanes, with almost 2 steals per game.

Weakness-
He lacks elite explosiveness, especially when he has the ball in his hands, which limits his ability to create his own shot from the dribble in ISO situations … Lacks a quick first step, needs screens and off the ball game to create space to beat his defender ... He’s still stuck in the middle of two roles, since he lacks elite playmaking skills, as well as remarkable scoring instincts, and this could limit his NBA appeal ...

Solid ball handler but his decision making is affected when forced to play against press defense ... His shot is still not consistent yet, especially his pull up jumper in pick and roll situations, he’s a streaky shooter and he could encounter scoring slumps ... He’s not the kind of player that's able to change the rhythm of the game coming off the bench lacks lateral quickness on D.

NBA Draft Net-30th
Draft Xpress-35th
CBS Sports-34th, 35th 38th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHuTnAFNJQM
Cory Jefferson-PF-24 years old-6'8 3/4 - 7'0 1/2 wing span-37.5 Max Vert-(From Texas played at Baylor)

Strengths-
Jefferson is a wiry strong PF prospect with high level run-jump athleticism…Looks the part, is 6’9 and has a great frame to possibly add as much as 10-15 lbs without losing his athleticism … Shows real good explosiveness as a leaper, able to elevate suddenly when stationary … Good length, an added bonus to his leaping ability … Can finish with authority around the basket, and will get his fair share of dunks … Looks good in the pick and roll game especially, and is capable of finishing inside …

Pretty active and plays with good energy … Looks more and more comfortable facing up and making mid-range shots, able to hit shots most consistently from 15-17 ft … Effective with basic post moves that allows him to utilize his length and athleticism, namely his right hand jump hook and drop-step …Shows good hands … Physical, willing to get wide and set screens that allow guards plenty of room to slash and kick out to him for jumpers or finishes around the rim … A late bloomer, added new wrinkles to his game every season

Weakness-
Needs to continue to add polish to his offensive game, not the most skilled player and can struggle when things aren’t kept simple for him … Doesn’t look to do much with his left hand, and can be a fairly easy matchup at times because he offers little variations of moves on the low post … Though he developed his jump shot nicely in college, he can’t be considered a consistent shooter yet … Expanded his range to the college 3 as a Sr., but isn’t going to be much (if at all) of a threat from that range in the NBA

NBA Draft Net-58th
Draft Xpress-Undrafted
CBS Sports-48th, 56th, Undrafted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UxO9jEpc7wQ

cd021
06-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Added 6 more prospects that have been listed in recent mocks to be possible draftees by the Spurs quite a few of big men. Taveres and Austin are freakishly tall Cs that are likely to go somewhere in the second round.

cd021
06-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Issah Austin-C-(From Texas played at Baylor)-20 Years Old-7'0 1/2- 7'4 1/2 wing span-
9' 4 1/2 standing reach 29.5 Max Vert

Comparison-Alexis Ajinca

Strengths-Austin is a stretch 4 with excellent outside shooting for Pick and Pop and his very nice touch with both hands around the rim ... He is essentially a big man who likes to play outside ... His feet are quick and his lateral quickness is good for a big, long player like him and it allows him to be very aggressive in defense on P&R and contain PGs on switches thanks to his great size ... His greatest asset offensively right now is the ability to finish on both blocks turning over both shoulders, however he would get the best out of his career if he can improve his outside shooting percentages ...

Last year he shot barely 30% on spot up/catch and shoot and under 30% form the 3pts arc ... Playing a role similar to Pero Antic with the Hawks would appear to be within his reach ... In defense he also shows a solid IQ and understanding of the game, with great reads on help side, which in addition to his height makes him disruptive ... He is not a rim protector because of lack of strength but he is an underrated athlete who can get off the floor quickly,

Weakness- Body strength is a major concern: particularly offensively because he will struggle to catch the ball in desirable deep areas with greater chances of converting ... It seems unlikely that he could ever be a force in the paint where he has struggled a lot in college to hold position and get deep touches in the post ...

Should improve his mid-range and face up game ... Defensively he may struggle against stronger opponents around the basket ... It is a priority for him to find rhythm in his jumper and become a great pick and pop guy, and punish defense on top-down plays ... I would like to see him more aggressive on the offensive end where many times he just seems to be too passive ... A big area of concern is the really low rebound rate, partially due to the fact that he contested so many shots making it hard for him to get back in the mix for the rebounds.

NBA Draft Net-30th
Draft Xpress-Undrafted
CBS Sports-36th, 45th, Undrafted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WLYaO3ie0oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v1cxcDSzDB0

Chinook
06-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the additions, man. Out of this new crop Dinwiddie and Bodganovic are much two favorite. (You can guess which positions I'm leaning toward.) The list for me probably goes, Tarvares, Austin, Stokes and Robinson III from there.

cd021
06-20-2014, 10:18 PM
My initial hope for this draft was for the Spurs to take a SF. I wouldn't expect them to be major contributors but in case Leonard or Manu goes down, there wouldn't be as much shuffling. Pop could plug in a SF into the starting lineup for front loaded minutes each half instead of Beli at the 2 and Green at the 3 to start.

I'm kind of liking the idea of drafting a big. Tarvares seems like a great prospect as a second round pick. Won't fall to the Spurs in the late 50's but maybe the Spurs could make a move to grab him.

Not sure any could make it to the roster for next season. Not sold on Baynes and Ayers improving enough to be a consistent fourth big. If the Spurs take Austin (7'1 with some range) in the late second round, its worth noting he is only 20 (turns 21 in October).

Can't teach height and still fairly new to basketball. 7'3 and 7'9 wingspan, athletic and mobile to boot.

maybe a future unprotected 2nd rounder and cash for a pick near the middle of the 2nd round. Plenty of nice prospects there. More than a few would be 1st rounders in other drafts.

Darkwaters
06-20-2014, 10:30 PM
I do think Micic has some De Colo in him. I like that he's still young and could still develop to be better if he comes over soon. He and Mills/Denmon would be a fine backup back court for the future.

Inglis would be my second choice, McGary third and Early last of the prospects you listed.

What is your full take on Denmon? You seem pretty high on him. But last season all I remember is most people thinking he'd never make it.

Chinook
06-20-2014, 10:47 PM
What is your full take on Denmon? You seem pretty high on him. But last season all I remember is most people thinking he'd never make it.

Before EuroBasket made their stats paid-viewers only, I saw Denmon was having a pretty strong year in Turkey. So I have hope that he can be a good player in the NBA some day.

As far as why I like him, I loved the intangibles he showed in the summer league last year. In the Cavs game, he kept willing the Spurs back while Thomas and Joseph wilted. He's always been a good scorer/shooter. His problem is that he had limited athleticism and more limited PG skill. But he has strong defensive fundamentals, so he projects to be a better defender than Mills is now, for example. He doesn't have Patty's speed or quickness, but he does have better size and is more comfortable driving. I think Denmon would make a fine 13th man/hustle player in the same role Mills had two years ago.

BackHome
06-20-2014, 11:08 PM
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – After being selected by the San Antonio Spurs in the second round of last summer’s NBA draft Bishop Luers graduate Deshaun Thomas spent his first professional season overseas, suiting up for JSF Nanterre just outside of Paris.
Thomas led Nanterre in scoring at 12 points per game and helped guide the franchise to its first French Cup championship.
Spurs assistant general manager Scott Layden made multiple trips to Europe to see Thomas play and was impressed with the defensive improvement he saw.
The Spurs hold Thomas’ right through this summer’s draft. Thomas is expecting to play for the Spurs summer league team – the team he led in scoring last summer at 12.4 points a game.

tholdren
06-21-2014, 08:48 AM
This year's draft is legitimate garbage. There is no player in this draft who can carry an NCAA team, let alone change an NBA team. It's been media hyped more than any other draft. It's sad because these are the ones we will be subjected to watch in the next 5 years....

tholdren
06-21-2014, 08:50 AM
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – After being selected by the San Antonio Spurs in the second round of last summer’s NBA draft Bishop Luers graduate Deshaun Thomas spent his first professional season overseas, suiting up for JSF Nanterre just outside of Paris.
Thomas led Nanterre in scoring at 12 points per game and helped guide the franchise to its first French Cup championship.
Spurs assistant general manager Scott Layden made multiple trips to Europe to see Thomas play and was impressed with the defensive improvement he saw.
The Spurs hold Thomas’ right through this summer’s draft. Thomas is expecting to play for the Spurs summer league team – the team he led in scoring last summer at 12.4 points a game.

trade. dude is soft and fat. His only thing going for him in college was a three pointer, and he only shoots 34% in France. terrible rebounder too. Bonner-esque

look_at_g_shred
06-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Really hope Daye develops during the summer into training camp. I see alot of potential in him than I did before we traded for him. He's got the tools to be an above average defender. Though he lacks some mobility for his size, I think he can become a valuable asset to our team off the bench next year. That is of course, if Bonner is gone.

Nathan89
06-21-2014, 02:59 PM
I want a sf. Glen Robinson III looks like a good pick.

Nathan89
06-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Also Glen Robinson said he models his game off Kawhi and Paul George. He's going to see a sf a couple years older than him that just won finals MVP busting his ass trying to get better. Seems like a great situation.

Just want an athletic sf that has with a stroke that spurs can make semi reliable.

tholdren
06-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Really hope Daye develops during the summer into training camp. I see alot of potential in him than I did before we traded for him. He's got the tools to be an above average defender. Though he lacks some mobility for his size, I think he can become a valuable asset to our team off the bench next year. That is of course, if Bonner is gone.

yep. He's got to get stronger, and give any effort on defense (thanks AAU), but I agree. He's got a much higher ceiling than Bonner, and better than any other player that we are holding on to to develop.

PLEASE KEEP BAYNES

Darkwaters
06-21-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm honestly not really that interested in keeping Daye. The guy has been around the association for a minute now. Hes been underwhelming for a while.

Maybe he puts it together if he sticks around. I'd just rather roll my dice elsewhere.

BackHome
06-21-2014, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=tholdren;7448651]yep. He's got to get stronger, and give any effort on defense (thanks AAU), but I agree. He's got a much higher ceiling than Bonner, and better than any other player that we are holding on to to develop.

I would rather let Austin walk and bring over Bertrans who I think is a better fit and player.

bluebellmaniac
06-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm honestly not really that interested in keeping Daye. The guy has been around the association for a minute now. Hes been underwhelming for a while.

Maybe he puts it together if he sticks around. I'd just rather roll my dice elsewhere.

But that describes Green also... We seem to do well with these journeymen...

cd021
06-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Daye hasn't shown much outside of that Phily game. He's a 6'10 SF that can shoot. Not sure he can play PF consistently, which would be very helpful. The Spurs need a big body next to him that can work on the glass and rim protect.

Not sold on Baynes either, nice athlete for his size and phyicality is nice but he fouls like crazy. He does does board really well and has some nice offensive skills but the Spurs could do better for only slighty more $.

Have said this multiple times before that Aminu and Okafor could be nice fits off the bench. Okafor is coming off a missed year and he may be an option on the cheap on a 1 year deal. Not sure what his stock is at this point.

a career double-double average, 1.7 blocks per game and still only 31. Maybe we could be appealing with our continued success and need for a backup center. Duncan is 37 and will be 38 by next playoff. He could average 20 minutes and have several starts through out the year.

Aminu could fill two needs, depth on the wing behind Kawhi, & Manu (only Leonard is bigger than 6'7 among the 4 we have) and an athletic 4. He'd give us another defender and boards well.

Prime Time
06-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Same. I thank some fans are still high on that game he had against Philadelphia, in which he only had 2 field goals inside the three-point line. This guy really can't do much outside of shooting threes.

As for the draft, I just want the best potential available. That's all you can ask for at #30, assuming the Spurs don't move up.

cd021
06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Clint Capella-C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29d4g1C80Y

Damien Inglis-SG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGiSN4HBkQk

Micic Vasilije-PG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvOgG3mUBg

cd021
06-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Cleanothony Early-SF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agfXXIgCHp0

Mitch Mcgary-C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOIqVeNmbU&index=7&list=PLGbx-x-czRRfAM-nK298_yEwNNCk67b4w

AFBlue
06-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Appreciate the adds cd!

cd021
06-21-2014, 09:25 PM
these are the DX scout video's from the mentioned players on the 1st page of this thread.

benefactor
06-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Good work man. Keep it up. :tu

cd021
06-21-2014, 09:36 PM
PJ Haiston-SG-21 Years Old-6'5 1/4-6'9 Wingspan-8'5 Standing Reach-37 inch Max Vert
(Previously played at UNC, Now with the NBDL Texas Legends)

Strengths-Hairston is a very effective scorer, both inside and out … Has a sweet jump shot with deep range – good elevation and a quick release … Though mostly a spot-up shooter, he’s dangerous off the dribble and off screens in catch-and-shoot situations … Uses step-back and fade-away moves very effectively …

Makes overly aggressive on-the-ball defenders pay with a quick first step to the basket … With a sturdy build and a 37-inch vertical, he has no trouble getting to the rim and finishing through contact … Draws a lot of fouls, and is an excellent free-throw shooter … Terrific finisher in transition … Doesn’t have a flashy handle, but is relatively good at protecting the ball the solidly built youngster has the potential to expand his game as a post-up guard … When motivated, has active hands and comes up with a fair amount of steals … Does not lack for confidence ...

Weakness-Due to a combination of a lack of effort, a lack of awareness, and below-average speed and quickness, Hairston is a poor defender … In one-on-one situations, he is often abused by quicker players on both cuts and drives to the basket … As team defender, he is often in the wrong place at the wrong time – he doesn’t always rotate, and when he does, he has poor recovery speed. Also, at times, he inexplicably steps away from the action, as if he is playing with five fouls or playing for the Washington Generals … Appears undisciplined, lackadaisical – doesn’t make a lot of hustle plays, stands around a lot on offense.

Overall-Assuming that he has learned from his mistakes, Hairston should at least enjoy an NBA career as a scorer/3-point specialist off the bench ... If he improves his overall effort and play on the defensive end, his prospects would be much brighter, though it is very doubtful that he would ever become an All-Star-level player due to his average athletic ability … A borderline first-round selection who will likely fall into the second due to his past indiscretions …

NBA Draft. Net-31st
NBA Draft Xpress-22nd
CBS Sports-22nd, 23rd, 24th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJrx3TdmRo&list=PLGbx-x-czRRfAM-nK298_yEwNNCk67b4w

exstatic
06-21-2014, 10:14 PM

Green is pretty athletic, even by NBA standards, and can defend 3 position. Daye can't, and likely never will be able to defend any position. He's a stick, AND slow and unathletic.

exstatic
06-21-2014, 10:17 PM
PJ Haiston-SG-21 Years Old-6'5 1/4-6'9 Wingspan-8'5 Standing Reach-37 inch Max Vert
(Previously played at UNC, Now with the NBDL Texas Legends)

Strengths-Hairston is a very effective scorer, both inside and out … Has a sweet jump shot with deep range – good elevation and a quick release … Though mostly a spot-up shooter, he’s dangerous off the dribble and off screens in catch-and-shoot situations … Uses step-back and fade-away moves very effectively …

Makes overly aggressive on-the-ball defenders pay with a quick first step to the basket … With a sturdy build and a 37-inch vertical, he has no trouble getting to the rim and finishing through contact … Draws a lot of fouls, and is an excellent free-throw shooter … Terrific finisher in transition … Doesn’t have a flashy handle, but is relatively good at protecting the ball the solidly built youngster has the potential to expand his game as a post-up guard … When motivated, has active hands and comes up with a fair amount of steals … Does not lack for confidence ...

Weakness-Due to a combination of a lack of effort, a lack of awareness, and below-average speed and quickness, Hairston is a poor defender … In one-on-one situations, he is often abused by quicker players on both cuts and drives to the basket … As team defender, he is often in the wrong place at the wrong time – he doesn’t always rotate, and when he does, he has poor recovery speed. Also, at times, he inexplicably steps away from the action, as if he is playing with five fouls or playing for the Washington Generals … Appears undisciplined, lackadaisical – doesn’t make a lot of hustle plays, stands around a lot on offense.

Overall-Assuming that he has learned from his mistakes, Hairston should at least enjoy an NBA career as a scorer/3-point specialist off the bench ... If he improves his overall effort and play on the defensive end, his prospects would be much brighter, though it is very doubtful that he would ever become an All-Star-level player due to his average athletic ability … A borderline first-round selection who will likely fall into the second due to his past indiscretions …

NBA Draft. Net-31st
NBA Draft Xpress-22nd
CBS Sports-22nd, 23rd, 24th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJrx3TdmRo&list=PLGbx-x-czRRfAM-nK298_yEwNNCk67b4w

I don't see any path to this. Pop is tight with Roy Williams, and ol' Roy kicked this fucking kid off his team.

Chinook
06-21-2014, 11:18 PM
I don't see any path to this. Pop is tight with Roy Williams, and ol' Roy kicked this fucking kid off his team.

To be fair, the AD kicked Hairston off. Williams supposedly fought the decision and has been putting in a good word for Hairston this whole time. I think Roy would encourage Pop to give PJ a chance if the Spurs in the market for a two-guard at 30.

Chinook
06-21-2014, 11:20 PM

Green joined the Spurs during his second season in the league and became a starter by his third (second with the Spurs). Daye is not in the same position at all. He's much closer to Ayres than he is to Green. But at least Jeff has a guaranteed contract.

Darkwaters
06-22-2014, 12:44 AM

Not really. Green had one season in an organization that self-destructed with Lebron's departure.

Daye has been around for five seasons and hes still pretty "eh".

I'm not totally taking a shit on Daye by any means. But comparing him to Green is a function of looking for a comparison that really isn't there.

admiralsnackbar
06-22-2014, 03:11 AM
I'd be pleased if TJ Warren's weirdness drops him to us, as optimistic as that may be.

cd021
06-22-2014, 01:55 PM
7'1 C Issiah Austin (i listed above), who was in projected to be taken by the Spurs with the 60th pick, basketball career is over

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2105853-isaiah-austin-diagnosed-with-marfan-syndrome-ending-potential-nba-career? utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

has some type of syndrome.

TheyCallMePro
06-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Cory Joseph, Aron Baynes, Jeff Ayers, Matt Bonner, and Austin Daye are 5 players that the spurs do not need. At least 1 of them won't be on the team next year--opening up a roster spot or two for someone in the draft or overseas.

My bet is on Davis Bertans and Marcus Denmon coming over this year.

cd021
06-22-2014, 10:08 PM
"
The general consensus among some NBA personnel is that the Bucks, who are obviously in a rebuilding mode, could obtain a late-first round pick for the 27-year-old Ilyasova in what is regarded as one of the most deep and talented draft in years."

http://journaltimes.com/sports/bucks/bucks-beat-it-s-time-to-play-let-s-make/article_06b15216-f9ce-11e3-9cda-001a4bcf887a.html

The article mentions Phoenix, OKC and Houston as possible trade partners.

The Spurs could make a play for him, though their pick is obviously lower than what Phoenix and OKC could offer (PHX has 3 picks, including the 26th and OKC has the 21st and 29th)

cd021
06-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Michael Scotto: Sources:San Antonio Spurs will bring in Walter Tavares for a workout today. Tavares (7'3") has become a rising center prospect. #NBADraft "

from hoopshype.

tholdren
06-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Marcus Denmon is worse than any player you just listed. He's 6'3, a terrible shooter, and an even worse PASSER for someone of his height... Useless.

BackHome
06-22-2014, 11:12 PM
To have a chance next year we have to keep everyone excepts Bonner who should be replaced by Bertrans.

I like the thought of getting Okafor who I think could save his career by playing with us and getting a ring in the process.

Baam
06-22-2014, 11:23 PM
To have a chance next year we have to keep everyone excepts Bonner who should be replaced by Bertrans.

I like the thought of getting Okafor who I think could save his career by playing with us and getting a ring in the process.

Why could they afford to let go of Bonner when he was more important than Tiago against the most dangerous team they faced?

exstatic
06-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Dump James and Daye. Re-sign everyone else. That leaves us two roster spots.

Chinook
06-23-2014, 01:10 AM
Does anyone know anything about Khem Birch? He's projected to be taken at 56 on DXs mock draft. That's two picks before the Spurs' first second-rounder, but it's well in the range to make him a possible prospect.

From what I read about him, he's extremely raw and doesn't know how to shoot. He's also weak in his lower body and lacks a post game. The plus side is that he's a very strong rebounder/shot-blocker with great athleticism and mobility. He also seems to have the potential to shore up some of his weaknesses if he's allowed a couple of seasons to develop. If there's an open spot on the roster for a big, I'd be pretty interested in taking a flier on Birch instead of simply stashing a pick. He seems like he could develop into a better version of what Ayres is now. (Jeff has a chance to move up to being a regular-rotation player if he learns to shoot. If not, he's just an undersized by decently athletic center who's too old to be as raw as he is.)

objective
06-23-2014, 01:11 AM
"
The general consensus among some NBA personnel is that the Bucks, who are obviously in a rebuilding mode, could obtain a late-first round pick for the 27-year-old Ilyasova in what is regarded as one of the most deep and talented draft in years."

http://journaltimes.com/sports/bucks/bucks-beat-it-s-time-to-play-let-s-make/article_06b15216-f9ce-11e3-9cda-001a4bcf887a.html

The article mentions Phoenix, OKC and Houston as possible trade partners.

The Spurs could make a play for him, though their pick is obviously lower than what Phoenix and OKC could offer (PHX has 3 picks, including the 26th and OKC has the 21st and 29th)

Spurs can't match salary as far as I can tell.

Chinook
06-23-2014, 01:41 AM
I think there's a good chance that Payne falls into the Spurs' range. His age is likely to scare teams off until around Miami's pick/OKC's natural pick. Payne is pretty much an oli tycoon's DeShaun Thomas. He wouldn't be an ideal piece the Spurs need in their big rotation, but he would make a great go-to option off the bench if Splitter is next to him.

Obi Juan Kenobi
06-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Michael Scotto: Sources:San Antonio Spurs will bring in Walter Tavares for a workout today. Tavares (7'3") has become a rising center prospect. #NBADraft "

from hoopshype.

I'd be happy with Tavares at #30, he just signed an extension with Gran Canaria so we'll be able to stash him for a couple of seasons...

jesterbobman
06-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Does anyone know anything about Khem Birch? He's projected to be taken at 56 on DXs mock draft. That's two picks before the Spurs' first second-rounder, but it's well in the range to make him a possible prospect.

From what I read about him, he's extremely raw and doesn't know how to shoot. He's also weak in his lower body and lacks a post game. The plus side is that he's a very strong rebounder/shot-blocker with great athleticism and mobility. He also seems to have the potential to shore up some of his weaknesses if he's allowed a couple of seasons to develop. If there's an open spot on the roster for a big, I'd be pretty interested in taking a flier on Birch instead of simply stashing a pick. He seems like he could develop into a better version of what Ayres is now. (Jeff has a chance to move up to being a regular-rotation player if he learns to shoot. If not, he's just an undersized by decently athletic center who's too old to be as raw as he is.)

He's my realistic 2nd round prospect. Like most college bigs, I want to know what he's like at screening. That's a thing that doesn't show up in stats, but I think is really important to the Spurs offense. Tiago, Tim and Diaw don't lay the wood in the same way Baynes does, but setting smart screens at good angles is an underrated skill that shows up in RPM type numbers.

AFBlue
06-23-2014, 06:19 AM
I think there's a good chance that Payne falls into the Spurs' range. His age is likely to scare teams off until around Miami's pick/OKC's natural pick. Payne is pretty much an oli tycoon's DeShaun Thomas. He wouldn't be an ideal piece the Spurs need in their big rotation, but he would make a great go-to option off the bench if Splitter is next to him.

There's a lot to like about him actually. He's a stretch 4 with decent size and good athleticism. He developed under great coaching and seems to have a team-first mentality. I think he's a solid role player on the next level. Unfortunately, I don't think he drops to the Spurs.

Someone with a very similar skillset is Cory Jefferson from Baylor...only he developed in spite of his coaching. It's crazy to say, but at 23 I think there's still some potential to tap in that kid. Possible stretch 4 in the mid-late second.

exstatic
06-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Payne came out poorly in the WaRP projections at -0.1.

superbigtime
06-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Dump James and Daye. Re-sign everyone else. That leaves us two roster spots.

How much you think Spurs can re-sign Baynes for?

exstatic
06-23-2014, 07:23 AM

I don't think there's a huge market for him at much above minimum.

cd021
06-23-2014, 09:00 AM

Basically he'd return for about $1 million. Cheap but not sure in love with the idea of both Baynes and Ayers returning. Baynes is better but Ayers is already under contract.

I'd rather let Baynes walk and put our eggs in another basket. That or try and move Ayers (doubtful) Neither have shown that they can be consistent enough to be a 4th big man.

Thats why i'm in favor of drafting a big man. Thats really the area we could use some depth behind Duncan, Diaw and Splitter.

cd021
06-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Don't think there would really be any market for him. He has shown flashes but he has a pretty low profile considering he was the 5th big for most of the season.

Uriel
06-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Here are the projections of whom the Spurs will pick, based on the latest mocks:

NBA.com: Jarnell Stokes
ESPN: Cleanthony Early
Yahoo! Sports: Walter Tavares
Sports Illustrated: Walter Tavares
CBS Sports: Jarnell Stokes
USA Today: Vasilje Micic
DraftExpress: Mitch McGary
NBADraft.net: Bogdan Bogdanovic

Needless to say, all of the above names can now officially be ruled out for whom R.C. will actually take on draft night. :lol

superbigtime
06-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks. I think he's a wise sign for a mill, I'd like him to be back, I think he fits a role and during the course of the season and in certain situations Spurs need a guy like that. Ayers is overpaid but under contract. Would think they'd both continue to improve. Wouldn't be surprised to see Baynes leave for a bigger role and more $ elsewhere. I just like the Banger.

FireMicoHalili
06-23-2014, 09:34 AM
@ESPNNBA: #NBADraft prospect Dario Saric signs 3-year deal to stay in Europe (via chadfordinsider).

http://t.co/COsxZdYkYr http://t.co/Vbta6uvRVM

Mr. Body
06-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Here are the projections of whom the Spurs will pick, based on the latest mocks:

NBA.com: Jarnell Stokes
ESPN: Cleanthony Early
Yahoo! Sports: Walter Tavares
Sports Illustrated: Walter Tavares
CBS Sports: Jarnell Stokes
USA Today: Vasilje Micic
DraftExpress: Mitch McGary
NBADraft.net: Bogdan Bogdanovic

Needless to say, all of the above names can now officially be ruled out for whom R.C. will actually take on draft night. :lol

I'm starting to narrow my own interest to Walter Tavares. Rarely do you see a kid with that size plus any mobility whatsoever. That he's still raw, yet has a decent free throw stroke, that he seems to have a good, natural feel for the game, and that he seems to be mature as a young person are all pluses. From Cape Verde, he'd be a Portuguese speaker, so Splitter could help him. My main worry would be long-term health, but you don't see a guy with his upside usually at #30, but this draft is different.

cd021
06-23-2014, 10:31 AM

Yeah the Ayers, Joseph, and Daye package (along with the 30th) would only be about $7.2 million to his $7.9 but Milwaukee is only at $46 million in salary so we wouldn't need to. Spurs just don't have non essential assets

The problem is that if Houston or OKC is interested then any deal we'd offer would be worse than any of theirs. OKC can offer Perkins and the 21st or the 29th.

Houston could, move Lin or Osik along with the 26th pick for Illysova. They would have to move the other player to another team under the cap to move closer to clearing out space to get Melo.

cd021
06-23-2014, 10:48 AM

Yeah the Ayers, Joseph, and Daye package (along with the 30th) would only be about $7.2 million to his $7.9 but Milwaukee is only at $46 million in salary so we wouldn't need to. Spurs just don't have non essential assets

The problem is that if Houston or OKC is interested then any deal we'd offer would be worse than any of theirs. OKC can offer Perkins and the 21st or the 29th.

Houston could, move Lin or Osik along with the 26th pick for Illysova. They would have to move the other player to another team under the cap to move closer to clearing out space to get Melo.

cd021
06-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Bulls looking to move their draft picks (16th and 19th) because they don't want the salary that comes along with them. Would cost them about $3.7 million. If the Afflalo deal happens at least one of those picks are heading to Orlando. Maybe the Spurs could move up by offering the 30th (The Bulls could draft and stash that pick) the 58th and 60th along with a future second rounder for the 19th pick.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/22/5831714/bulls-trading-first-round-picks

Baam
06-23-2014, 11:15 AM

Including Beli in the essential players is really pushing it...

cd021
06-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Including Beli in the essential players is really pushing it...
i didn't mention him but i don't think he is essential.

smaka
06-23-2014, 11:35 AM
In case you haven't read it in ThinkTank, looks like Bertans is coming over for the next season. This will probably effect Spurs drafting mindset.

@DBertans_44: Bogdan (@LeaderOfHorde) is Serbian Kobe Bryant.He might have a better shot than Bryant. Next season we will both be in the NBA

Prime Time
06-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Interesting...

Baam
06-23-2014, 11:38 AM
In case you haven't read it in ThinkTank, looks like Bertans is coming over for the next season. This will probably effect Spurs drafting mindset.

@DBertans_44: Bogdan (@LeaderOfHorde) is Serbian Kobe Bryant.He might have a better shot than Bryant. Next season we will both be in the NBA

Interesting... If he's playing SF I don't think this has a big impact on their plans tho.

smaka
06-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Interesting... If he's playing SF I don't think this has a big impact on their plans tho.
He is SF, but could probably also be a stretch 4 in small ball lineup.

Mr. Body
06-23-2014, 12:35 PM
lol @ claiming Bogdanovic has a better shot than Kobe Bryant.

bluebellmaniac
06-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Kirby's shooting % the last 3 years has been: 43%, 46%, and 42%. His 3 pt shooting has been: 30%, 32%, and 19%. So yeah, he could easily have a better shot than Kirby.

objective
06-23-2014, 01:30 PM

I hope you're right, but I disagree.

I think he will be priced out of the spurs range. The pacers signed mahinmi to a 4/16 deal after he basically had the same role as Baynes, a 3rd string big who occasionally had to play a little more. Baynes is more like mahinmi's first year in Dallas, where he basically filled the same role on a title team.

I don't think he'll get that much, but I look at Philadelphia, and I see a team that needs bodies, will have over 20 million in cap space, and whose coach worked with Baynes in the NBA and internationally. So I could see Philadelphia signing Baynes to 3/9 offer sheet and the spurs declining. And I think they would be getting a decent l decent value.

cd021
06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
PTR mentioned the idea of the Spurs trading out of the 1st round (to a team that has multiple 2nd rounders) They also mentioned the idea that if they liked a player they could invite them to camp with the opportunity to make the team.

The mentioned Phily (as an example) moving the 30th pick for the 39th and 47th pick to go along with the 58th and 60th picks.

In parenthesis are where they are projected to be drafted by nbadraft.net and the second is from draft express.

all of the following players have been mentioned in various mocks as a potential first round pick by the Spurs.

The Bucks also have multiple 2nd rounders : the 31st ,36th and 48th picks

Walter Taveres (7'3 Center, 7'9 arm span), (40th, 31st)

Damien Inglish [6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan, 21 Year old combo forward from France ](38th 36th)

Vasilje Micic (6'6 PG great passer) (34th, 39th)

Bogdon Bogdanovic (SG 6'6 22 years old) (30th, 35th)

Raven
06-23-2014, 08:35 PM
that's really not saying much tbh

cd021
06-23-2014, 08:38 PM
He is SF, but could probably also be a stretch 4 in small ball lineup.

He is actually compared to Daye and Korver (I assume thats worst case to best case scenario) the draft net page is 3 years old but was only listed at 211 pounds but 6'11.

cd021
06-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Knicks interested in moving into the 1st round by moving Iman Shumpert for a late 1st rounder.

not a great shooter but gives us a legit backup SF that can defend a bit

"Hearing: Knicks have explored possibility of swapping Iman Shumpert for late first-round pick heading into Thursday's draft"

Marc Stein

The Thunder (21st and 29th) and Clippers (28th) would also probably be interested with picks ahead of us.

exstatic
06-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I don't like Shumpert at all. I think he's all NY hype. His career PER is 10.5, well below the NBA average of 15.0.

cd021
06-23-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't like Shumpert at all. I think he's all NY hype. His career PER is 10.5, well below the NBA average of 15.0.

Didn't realize he is owed $2.7 million next year, not awful and about the price we'd pay for a SF if we don't use the vet min. Not a great shooter (only 34% from 3) but is young and has the tools to be a good defender but isn't quite there yet. Its NY every player is either overrated or a bum.

I'd be interested to see how he'd perform in our system as a 3 and D (assuming he can be a more consistent shooter) without Melo and Smith stopping ball and jacking up shots to their hearts content.

I could see the Spurs doing a deal like this one. Especially if they don't think any of the players in the 30th pick range are worthwhile.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Your idea of signing Sefolosha would be better than giving up a pick for Shump.

We should use our picks to stash guys in Europe who will come over for 2015-16.

exstatic
06-23-2014, 09:51 PM

I'm actually down with Aminu, too. He's younger, and would likely cost more, but if Chip thinks his shot can be fixed, he could be a long term option. He played two years at Wake, and four so far in the NBA, and is still just 23.

I just think there are too many options that will NOT cost us a draft pick to give one up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm actually down with Aminu, too. He's younger, and would likely cost more, but if Chip thinks his shot can be fixed, he could be a long term option. He played two years at Wake, and four so far in the NBA, and is still just 23.

I just think there are too many options that will NOT cost us a draft pick to give one up.

Yes indeed. And I like the Aminu call too - he or Sefolosha would be great, or if we want a big I think McBob would fit perfectly (although I don't think we can afford him - may as well keep Bonner for the minimum if he'll stay).

BTW, great to see you here! I don't frequent ST nearly as much as I used to because of all the cliff jumping and fucktards, but I'll be here over the summer to check out quality takes from people like yourself. I hope everything is well in your world... just wished I had come over for the Finals this year! Did you go to the Finals games?

Ron Swanson
06-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Not 2015-16, but Dario Saric signed a three year deal (3rd year player option) to play in Turkey.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11122639/nba-prospect-dario-saric-agrees-principle-three-year-deal-turkish-team

100%duncan
06-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Can you guys give me a description, upsides for Aminu. I don't watch other teams much only the Spurs and marquee match-ups.

exstatic
06-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Not 2015-16, but Dario Saric signed a three year deal (3rd year player option) to play in Turkey.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11122639/nba-prospect-dario-saric-agrees-principle-three-year-deal-turkish-team

I think that actually may cause teams that were thinking of dumping picks to stash him instead. Phoenix and Chicago come to mind.

exstatic
06-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Can you guys give me a description, upsides for Aminu. I don't watch other teams much only the Spurs and marquee match-ups.

Tall three, bordering on a four, 6'8.5". Long, wingspan of like 7'3". Excellent rebounder and good defender. Needs work on his 3 ball. He didn't have his year 4 option picked up, but NO eventually signed him for what his qualifying offer would have been, and he is now unrestricted. Two years of college at Wake, and four years of NBA experience and he's 23.

One of my favorite things is that he's missed like 9 games in 4 years.

Ron Swanson
06-23-2014, 10:26 PM
I think that actually may cause teams that were thinking of dumping picks to stash him instead. Phoenix and Chicago come to mind.

Good point. I can see either team doing that since they have multiple picks.

100%duncan
06-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Tall three, bordering on a four, 6'8.5". Long, wingspan of like 7'3". Excellent rebounder and good defender. Needs work on his 3 ball. He didn't have his year 4 option picked up, but NO eventually signed him for what his qualifying offer would have been, and he is now unrestricted. Two years of college at Wake, and four years of NBA experience and he's 23.

Nice thanks. How much do you think can we get him for?

exstatic
06-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Nice thanks. How much do you think can we get him for?

I don't know. A lot depends on what happens with the top FAs and how much money teams have left after stupidly throwing large quantities at slightly above average players. What will the market be after the dust settles?

He made $3.7M last year.

100%duncan
06-23-2014, 10:33 PM
I don't know. A lot depends on what happens with the top FAs and how much money teams have left after stupidly throwing large quantities at slightly above average players. What will the market be after the dust settles?

He made $3.7M last year.

Right. I think it depends on what will we do to players we don't use and to Diaw and Millls especially now that Mills is injured.

smaka
06-24-2014, 03:34 AM
He is actually compared to Daye and Korver (I assume thats worst case to best case scenario) the draft net page is 3 years old but was only listed at 211 pounds but 6'11.

When he still played for Olimpija, my hometown club, he was really skinny, then he started gaining weight and had problems with knees because of it. Then he left for Partizan and I believe he bulked up a little there.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-24-2014, 03:51 AM

Yeah, I read that. Interesting decision.

When he still played for Olimpija, my hometown club, he was really skinny, then he started gaining weight and had problems with knees because of it. Then he left for Partizan and I believe he bulked up a little there.

I guess he wants to be a bit bigger and better before he plays with the big boys.

Yeah, sounds about right. Pity, because he'd be a perfect stash for us, but I can't see how we'd trade up to get him.

mudyez
06-24-2014, 04:58 AM
I bet, OKC is taking Inglis just to bother us, but it was all CIA-Pop, wanting Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Ojars Silins or Alessandro Gentile from the beginning.

Either way: I'd think we take one of the four.

Mal
06-24-2014, 05:08 AM

I`d still take him with 30th pick

Texas_Ranger
06-24-2014, 05:15 AM
Everyone knew Saric would stay in Europe for at least 1 more year. He won't fall to 30. The guy is the most ready for NBA competition out of all the players.

Mr. Body
06-24-2014, 06:24 AM
I`d still take him with 30th pick

You'd never get the chance.

Mal
06-24-2014, 07:27 AM
You'd never get the chance.

Thank captain obvious.

But I remember Maciej Lampe fell down from being lottery pick to #31, because of troubles with his european contract.

exstatic
06-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Thank captain obvious.

But I remember Maciej Lampe fell down from being lottery pick to #31, because of troubles with his european contract.

As did Splitter. I think teams are willing to stash now, more than in the past.

Spursfanfromafar
06-24-2014, 08:01 AM
If Valanciunas was picked up at 5 despite knowing that he won't play in the NBA atleast for a year after being drafted, I am sure teams have factored these things for Saric as well. Those days of bad GMs who could be swindled off by the good ones are somewhat past these days. Almost all teams have a good set of GMs these days.

TheCerebral1
06-24-2014, 08:14 AM
PTR mentioned the idea of the Spurs trading out of the 1st round (to a team that has multiple 2nd rounders) They also mentioned the idea that if they liked a player they could invite them to camp with the opportunity to make the team.

The mentioned Phily (as an example) moving the 30th pick for the 39th and 47th pick to go along with the 58th and 60th picks.

In parenthesis are where they are projected to be drafted by nbadraft.net and the second is from draft express.

all of the following players have been mentioned in various mocks as a potential first round pick by the Spurs.

The Bucks also have multiple 2nd rounders : the 31st ,36th and 48th picks

Walter Taveres (7'3 Center, 7'9 arm span), (40th, 31st)

Damien Inglish [6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan, 21 Year old combo forward from France ](38th 36th)

Vasilje Micic (6'6 PG great passer) (34th, 39th)

Bogdon Bogdanovic (SG 6'6 22 years old) (30th, 35th)

I would love that personally. Where you can get a few of the fallers. Iglish, Micic, Dinwiddie, Christon, and others.

cd021
06-24-2014, 02:28 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/06/24/who-the-spurs-might-target-with-the-30th-pick-in-the-draft/

list is basically the same as the one I compiled except for K.J Daniels.

xmas1997
06-24-2014, 02:34 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/06/24/who-the-spurs-might-target-with-the-30th-pick-in-the-draft/

list is basically the same as the one I compiled except for K.J Daniels.

Thanks for the lists and run downs, great job.

RD2191
06-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Why is cd021 not bolded? Some of the shittiest posters on this site are bolded and this guy isn't? What kind of shit is that? Dude puts it work and actually talks basketball unlike others who just enjoy talking shit and have terrible terrible takes. (Yes, I know I'm a crappy poster but I gotta call out an injustice when I see it.) No Lyfe Scrub got bolded and that dude is straight garbage, smh.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Bolding means nothing.

That mysa article made every choice look bad.

Strategic
06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Why is cd021 not bolded? Some of the shittiest posters on this site are bolded and this guy isn't? What kind of shit is that? Dude puts it work and actually talks basketball unlike others who just enjoy talking shit and have terrible terrible takes. (Yes, I know I'm a crappy poster but I gotta call out an injustice when I see it.) No Lyfe Scrub got bolded and that dude is straight garbage, smh.Maybe because on ST as in life, it's not what you know but who you blow.

xmas1997
06-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Why is cd021 not bolded? Some of the shittiest posters on this site are bolded and this guy isn't? What kind of shit is that? Dude puts it work and actually talks basketball unlike others who just enjoy talking shit and have terrible terrible takes. (Yes, I know I'm a crappy poster but I gotta call out an injustice when I see it.) No Lyfe Scrub got bolded and that dude is straight garbage, smh.

Rob, seriously, what difference does it make?
Besides, this is just a message board.

RD2191
06-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Maybe because on ST as in life, it's not what you know but who you blow.
:lmaoI'm dead, rofl.

RD2191
06-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Rob, seriously, what difference does it make?
Besides, this is just a message board.
Not much of a difference but I thought getting bolded actually meant something these days. As in being rewarded for bringing good takes and providing knowledge to the rest of the forum. It is what it is though.

xmas1997
06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Not much of a difference but I thought getting bolded actually meant something these days. As in being rewarded for bringing good takes and providing knowledge to the rest of the forum. It is what it is though.

I think we have all seen that it is not a reward for anything.
Like you say, it is what it is?

cd021
06-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Mitch McGary apparently has a promise at #24 to Sacramento (via Marc Stein). He was listed on multiple mocks as being a candidate for the 30th pick

cd021
06-24-2014, 04:11 PM

I appreciate that. For what its worth you wouldn't make my All Garbage-Posters ST team. There are some serious clowns on this site.

xmas1997
06-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Mitch McGary apparently has a promise at #24 to Sacramento (via Marc Stein). He was listed on multiple mocks as being a candidate for the 30th pick

Do you suspect that OKC has made someone a promise?

RD2191
06-24-2014, 04:19 PM
I appreciate that. For what its worth you wouldn't make my All Garbage-Posters ST team. There are some serious clowns on this site.
No prob, and thanks man.

Drom John
06-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Mitch McGary apparently has a promise at #24 to Charlotte (via Marc Stein). He was listed on multiple mocks as being a candidate for the 30th pick

Big Empty
06-24-2014, 04:44 PM
so Spurs need a back up for Kawhi yall think?

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2014, 05:29 PM

Lol Sacramento, that dude has no business in the first round.

AFBlue
06-24-2014, 09:19 PM

Well they've worked out GR3, Early, and reportedly were interested in bringing in KJ McDaniels...all projected SFs at the next level. Then there's the sketchy CIA circumstances with Damien Inglis, who is also a SF. So there's certainly some smoke to that end...just not sure there's a fire.

Splits
06-24-2014, 09:28 PM

Bron is an UFA...

cd021
06-24-2014, 10:02 PM

Not really, but drafting one would give the Spurs one on the cheap without having to woo one in FA. Just having one on roster (likely not a rotation player with Beli and Manu at the 2 & 3 off the bench) if Leonard gets injured its a luxury. Instead of having Green slide up and having Beli play 2 guard, the Spurs could start the SF and play him about 15 minutes while keeping the rotation intact.

In FA Aminu is a great option, or Sef on the vet min. neither can really shoot but can defend which is always valuable to have an additional defender off the bench in case of foul trouble or injury

cd021
06-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Do you suspect that OKC has made someone a promise?

Haven't heard anything yet. In the latest B/R mock they have Capella (21st) and KJ Daniels (29th) going to OKC. I've also heard Early as well with the second pick.

I'm actually interested to see if they attempt to use the picks to try and acquire some depth or using 1 pick to package Perkins to a bad team (Milwaukee) so they won't have to amnesty him.

cd021
06-24-2014, 10:09 PM
thanks for the correction it is Charlotte not Sacramento. I was reading his tweets about the potiential Josh Smith deal and accidentally put them in instead.

cd021
06-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the lists and run downs, great job.

Thanks for contributing.

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2014, 10:10 PM
This year's draft is legitimate garbage. There is no player in this draft who can carry an NCAA team, let alone change an NBA team. It's been media hyped more than any other draft. It's sad because these are the ones we will be subjected to watch in the next 5 years....
Couldn't agree more... A projected #1 pick got smacked by Mercer :lol

NickiRasgo
06-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Saw this in my newsfeed:

Spurs' may draft K.J. McDaniels from Clemson with the 30th pick.

Any source anyone? He looks Jimmy Butler though. :lol If ever, hopes he plays like Jimmy Butler and NBA ready for our system.

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2014, 10:15 PM
keep preaching bruh :tu

cd021
06-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Saw this in my newsfeed:

Any source anyone? He looks Jimmy Butler though. :lol If ever, hopes he plays like Jimmy Butler and NBA ready for our system.

Hard to say were he'd go

Draft Express-29th
B/R Report-29th
NBA Draft Net-35th

I haven't actually seen where he was projected to go 30th to the Spurs. Hadn't read up on him but seems to be a great fit.

6'5 1/2 with a 6'11 1/4 wingspan and a 37 inch vert (would be the most athletic Spurs) only 21. Excellent and versatile defender and has worked to improve his 3 point shot. He is listed at SF so it makes plenty of sense. Also a very good rebounder. Gives the Spurs another defender that they can bring off the bench if needed.

TheyCallMePro
06-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Walter Tavares guys. That's our guy. 22 year old 7'3 center who is twice as mobile as Roy Hiibert, a better defender, and a quicker offensive player.

Can't miss someone like that at #30. If Tavares is on the board, he's ours. No way the Spurs will pass on him.

Thomas82
06-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Walter Tavares guys. That's our guy. 22 year old 7'3 center who is twice as mobile as Roy Hiibert, a better defender, and a quicker offensive player.

Can't miss someone like that at #30. If Tavares is on the board, he's ours. No way the Spurs will pass on him.

I want him if we can't get Clint Capella.

bluebellmaniac
06-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Depth Chart
PG: TP, Mills, CoJo
SG: Green, Manu, Beli
SF: Kawhi, Bertans, Daye, (Inglis - Pick #30)
PF: Diaw,
C: TD, Splitter, Baynes, Ayers

Pick #58 - Stash PF/C
Pick #60 - Stash PF/C

Need to jettison Ayers, promote Bonner to coaching staff

We need to find a way to also grab Bogdan... he could be a decent replacement for Manu. Perhaps package our next year's first rounder, this year's #58 and Beli to Charlotte for their #24 (???). Hell, throw in Ryan Richards...

TheGoldStandard
06-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Depth Chart
PG: TP, Mills, CoJo
SG: Green, Manu, Beli
SF: Kawhi, Bertans, (Inglis - Pick #30)
PF: Diaw,
C: TD, Splitter, Baynes, Ayers

Pick #58 - Stash PF/C
Pick #60 - Stash PF/C

Need to jettison Ayers, promote Bonner to coaching staff

We need to find a way to also grab Bogdan... he could be a decent replacement for Manu. Perhaps package our next year's first rounder, this year's #58 and Beli to Charlotte for their #24 (???). Hell, throw in Ryan Richards...

I agree that we need to get rid of Ayres, I'm sure even a #60 pick at either PF/C could out play that dude. Bogdan would be nice, maybe give up the rights to Hanga and Richards would get something done.

Dex
06-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Get ready for the Spurs to sign Whatshisfaceivic.

Aztecfan03
06-25-2014, 12:38 AM

If they draft and stash, it would probably be a big man or a guard so they could start next to Kawhi in a few years. Only problem is when they never seem to come over...

xmas1997
06-26-2014, 07:45 AM
IMHO this would be a great draft for them to package a player and/or one or two of their second round picks in order to move up in the first round.
I would not be surprised for that to happen.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-26-2014, 07:58 AM
IMHO this would be a great draft for them to package a player and/or one or two of their second round picks in order to move up in the first round.
I would not be surprised for that to happen.

No way, the Spurs don't have roster spots for rookies and they certainly do not have trade assets to move them from 58th to 1st round. They'd more likely trade down and/or draft and stash.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Can we package ERRORS with #30 to someone for something?

Nathan89
06-26-2014, 03:42 PM

Probably good enough to get a pick in the bottom half of the second round tbh

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2014, 03:48 PM
The only thing we'll get back from Errors is two pieces of bread with spit in between them.

Mr. Body
06-26-2014, 04:09 PM

With the #30 pick and Ayres you can get the #31 pick.

Baam
06-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Wiggins' suit look terrible WTF

SpurPadre
06-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Let me make the go for broke, out of left-field prediction of the board: Spurs trade Splitter, Mills, the rights to Livio and future 1st round pick to the Wolves for Kevin Love. Ok, flame away people!

cd021
06-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Jeff Zillgitt: "Don't know if he will last that long, but many still believe the Spurs want to take Michgans Mitch McGary at # 30 "

(http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html)
People have said that he has lottery level talent but has had injury problems and left school after a possible drug ban.

cd021
06-26-2014, 06:22 PM

:lol

We're probably stuck with him for another year unfortunately. Maybe he is less tragic this season.

cd021
06-26-2014, 06:23 PM
I am hoping the Spurs take KJ Daniels almost 6'6 SF with 6'11 1/2 wingspan and good athlete. Supposed to be a very good defender and has improved as a shooter.

From what i've read, he sounds a bit like Tony Allen.

SpurPadre
06-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Jeff Zillgitt: "Don't know if he will last that long, but many still believe the Spurs want to take Michgans Mitch McGary at # 30 "

(http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html)
People have said that he has lottery level talent but has had injury problems and left school after a possible drug ban.

All you need to say is drug ban for PATFO to yell out a collective "FUCK NO!!!"

spursparker9
06-26-2014, 06:27 PM

:lol

cd021
06-26-2014, 06:36 PM
All you need to say is drug ban for PATFO to yell out a collective "FUCK NO!!!"

It was Marijuana not like its crystal. I'm sure the Spurs have a clear idea of what they'd be getting into.

SpurPadre
06-26-2014, 06:42 PM
It was Marijuana not like its crystal. I'm sure the Spurs have a clear idea of what they'd be getting into.

Well, Pop's a proud liberal so I'm sure he wouldn't have any beef with marijuana usage but still, doubt we take a guy with any type of potential red flag.

NickiRasgo
06-26-2014, 09:52 PM

Yeah! :toast