PDA

View Full Version : SI:Forty Photos in Forty Days: A look at the sights from the Spurs’ drive for title

DocDoc
06-19-2014, 02:25 PM
http://nba.si.com/2014/06/18/spurs-nba-champion-photos-finals-heat-thunder-blazers/

"40) I headed home just a few hours after filing my Game 5 column. At the San Antonio airport, there was — of course — one more “Go Spurs Go” sign for the road. I was the second person in line to go through security once it opened at 4 a.m. Before my bags could be X-rayed and my ticket checked, the TSA employees gathered together in a huddle and cheered: “1-2-3-Spurs!” I kid you not. Yes, at 4 a.m."

Jimcs50
06-19-2014, 02:38 PM
2) How the Spurs have won so many division titles that they just cluster them together on that smaller banner to the right, whereas many teams have entire banners to recognize each division title. It’s ‘chip or nothing for these guys, and they easily dispatched Portland in Games 1 and 2 of the Western Conference semifinals.

Since I was going to Spurs games from 1975, those Division banners were all we Spurs fans had to hang our hat on. The Lakers, with Jabbar, Worthy and Magic would come to our arena in our Playoff battles and I am sure they scoffed at our little banners that were so proudly displayed in the rafters of the Hemisfair Arena. Therefore, I am not such a snob that I begrudge any teams that do the same with their division banners, sans Championship banners(Utah, Phoenix, Sacramento, Atlanta)

We have all been there.

Gervin44Silas13
06-19-2014, 02:59 PM
I used to love looking at the divison banners in the arena....i wish they could represent that history with Central Midwest and Southwest

tesseractive
06-19-2014, 03:32 PM
2) How the Spurs have won so many division titles that they just cluster them together on that smaller banner to the right, whereas many teams have entire banners to recognize each division title. It’s ‘chip or nothing for these guys, and they easily dispatched Portland in Games 1 and 2 of the Western Conference semifinals.

Since I was going to Spurs games from 1975, those Division banners were all we Spurs fans had to hang our hat on. The Lakers, with Jabbar, Worthy and Magic would come to our arena in our Playoff battles and I am sure they scoffed at our little banners that were so proudly displayed in the rafters of the Hemisfair Arena. Therefore, I am not such a snob that I begrudge any teams that do the same with their division banners, sans Championship banners(Utah, Phoenix, Sacramento, Atlanta)

We have all been there.
Damn right. :toast Ice, David, and a ton of other amazing players fought like hell for those division titles. And it was all part of the road to becoming one of the most blessed franchises in the NBA.