PDA

View Full Version : Kahwi has a big target on his back now

phyzik
06-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Let us see how he responds this next season now that he is an obvious target....

If he can put up numbers like 14 and 6 within this system, I will be happy.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2014, 01:07 AM
A target for what really? They don't even run plays for him, he lets the game come to him as the defense dictates. If this was a solo act and Pop was running his system through Kawhi I would agree but they have Parker, Manu presumably Duncan, and a plethora of role players who will take the burden equally.

scanry
06-20-2014, 01:09 AM
If he can develop his jumper and create shots within the system, look out. If i were Pop, i'd send him to Pippen's house in Chicago for the whole summer.

Cry Havoc
06-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Let us see how he responds this next season now that he is an obvious target....

Yeah, because the other team focusing on Kawhi when we have Tony, Manu, Tim, Patty, Boris, Marco, and Danny is going to work out so well for them. :lol

That's the beauty of Pop's system. He doesn't care what options you take away. He really doesn't. He's just going to shift his offense around and beat you where you give his guys room.

I don't even see Kawhi being our primary offensive threat next year -- that's still Tony's role. Going to be a bad sign for the defense if they let Parker do what he wants to stay at home on Kawhi.

phyzik
06-20-2014, 01:11 AM
A target for what really? They don't even run plays for him, he lets the game come to him as the defense dictates. If this was a solo act and Pop was running his system through Kawhi I would agree but they have Parker, Manu presumably Duncan, and a plethora of role players who will take the burden equally.

If you think teams are NOT going to key in against a finals MVP who went pretty much toe-to-toe against LeBron on both ends of the court, I just don't know what to say to you.

I'm not saying Kawhi is anywhere near Lebrons level, but teams are now going to start taking notice of him.

BatManu20
06-20-2014, 01:11 AM
I think he's up for the challenge. Luckily this team operates in a system that relies heavily on the whole team so there's not so much pressure on any individual. And the great thing about Kawhi is that he can still get a lot better. And I think he will.

Malik Hairston
06-20-2014, 01:13 AM
The reason the Spurs are so good is that they have the best system in NBA history, along with a team that goes 8-deep with legit players, and they look to exploit mismatches when they're available..

Leonard is not a focal point, at all, and he probably won't be for a while..even if he was, you can't beat this Spurs team by shutting down 1 player, as we saw all year when even the star players sat on the bench(Parker and Duncan, in particular)..

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2014, 01:14 AM
If you think teams are NOT going to key in against a finals MVP who went pretty much toe-to-toe against LeBron on both ends of the court, I just don't know what to say to you.

I'd love to see a team send doubles on him when he's not going to be handling the ball, we don't run ISO plays or any plays for him. It's the perfect situation for him to get better, he's not the primary target still, Parker will run the system, drive and dish or he'll get it as the ball is swinging and he can either shoot or drive and shoot.

phyzik
06-20-2014, 01:18 AM
I'd love to see a team send doubles on him when he's not going to be handling the ball, we don't run ISO plays or any plays for him. It's the perfect situation for him to get better, he's not the primary target still, Parker will run the system, drive and dish or he'll get it as the ball is swinging and he can either shoot or drive and shoot.

I know we don't run ISO, but I am concerned about his ball handling... If he gets trapped double-team now, he might have trouble. No one has really focused on him this last year.... If they decide to try and trap him this year, it might be a concern.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2014, 01:25 AM
I know we don't run ISO, but I am concerned about his ball handling... If he gets trapped double-team now, he might have trouble. No one has really focused on him this last year.... If they decide to try and trap him this year, it might be a concern.

I see what you're saying but doubt he'll be in a position where he'll be bum rushed by 2 defenders in a trap situation without an escape plan unless the play is totally screwed up already. A large majority of Kawhi's touches are initiated with him sitting out on the corner or the wing waiting for the pass and he's not stupid he'll swing the ball if he senses trouble. His handles will get better too, more confidence after his finals run but in the end the offense starts and ends with Tony scoring, dishing the ball or creating the mismatch that they exploit.

T Park
06-20-2014, 01:33 AM
If he can develop his jumper and create shots within the system, look out. If i were Pop, i'd send him to Pippen's house in Chicago for the whole summer.

He's working out with Michael Jordan's trainer.

Not gonna beat that...

100%duncan
06-20-2014, 01:36 AM
A lot of you might have misunderstood Op he didnt say kawhi is our number 1 guy at all...

As for op's topic yes, you are the finals mvp that achievement comes with the burden that the rest of the league will look to take you and your team down.

Fireball
06-20-2014, 02:05 AM
That's what I found odd about KDs tweets regarding Kawhi and him being a product of the Spurs system. If their is one player on the team who is less dependent on the system its Kawhi. He gets open threes by it, but all the other stuff is about hustling on defense and on the offensive board as well as attacking the rim by drives to the basket. Of course people will look to "attack" the Finals MVP, but as others have said here, the Spurs have enough weapons ... and the good thing is the referees will respect Kawhi more which hopefully means less foul trouble and more free throws ...

SupremeGuy
06-20-2014, 02:41 AM
He just outplayed the best player on the planet in the NBA finals, I think he'll be fine.

admiralsnackbar
06-20-2014, 05:54 AM
He pretty much out-played James last year, too. Didn't change much in 2014. If you can keep up with the best player in the league (within reason), it follows that other, lesser, players will not keep up so well. But it's moot: Kawhi may be great, but he's surrounded by great players who take the pressure off of him. We'll see how he performs when and if he becomes the franchise.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-20-2014, 07:01 AM
I don't think anyone is going to target Kawhi. He is such a soft spoken guy, he doesn't give opponents any extra fuel against him. He just plays hard and works hard. He is the type of guy everyone respects b/c he let's his playing do the talking and doesn't inflate his ego.

This basically sums up Kawhi when Stuart Scott asked him emphatically, "KAWHI LEONARD, who are you!!!" Kawhi's response, "Kawhi Leonard."

Tuddy
06-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Hopefully he gets some calls next season

lil'mo
06-20-2014, 08:12 AM
phyzik is a faggot, obviously

kobyz
06-20-2014, 08:23 AM
we all can agree that he have to prove himself next year playing in a bigger and more main role, for this to happened he has a lot of work to do on his game this summer, also should take what KD said about him as motivation and to prove him wrong...

boutons_deux
06-20-2014, 08:27 AM
target on his back? yeah, teams will have many opportunities to watch race down the court for a vicious dunk.

littlecoyotecoin
06-20-2014, 08:41 AM

I'm not saying Kawhi is anywhere near Lebrons level, but teams are now going to start taking notice of him.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you, Phz. I think we are salivating at the idea of defenses attempting to over-compensate on him when they are already getting pummeled by this offense. They may be able to slow Kawhi with greater attention. Like they slow parker at times. But, it will be to their detriment.

DMC
06-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Spurs would love to see KL draw a double team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Seriously? He had a target on his back the entire Finals as the James stopper, Kingslayer, etc. And he went toe to toe with the best player in the world (who was aiming the gun). As long as he works his tail off this summer, he's gonna be fine.

This is nothing but upside. Finals MVP? Toe to toe with LeBron? Maybe they'll actually let him guard Durant next year without getting whistled for a foul every time he looks at the guy.

Mugen
06-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Somebody should warn Kawhi.

Kidd K
06-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Good, play Kawhi harder. He'll just get better faster then, and be used to the tough coverage come playoff time.

Spurs would love to see KL draw a double team.

:lol Against a team of "pick your poison", doubling Kawhi is like drinking both poisoned goblets and expected positive results. :lmao

phxspurfan
06-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Yeah let's hope he doesn't pull a PG24 and disappear

Cry Havoc
06-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Seriously? He had a target on his back the entire Finals as the James stopper, Kingslayer, etc. And he went toe to toe with the best player in the world (who was aiming the gun). As long as he works his tail off this summer, he's gonna be fine.

This is nothing but upside. Finals MVP? Toe to toe with LeBron? Maybe they'll actually let him guard Durant next year without getting whistled for a foul every time he looks at the guy.

That's actually a good point. His finals mvp could be incredibly useful as far as his rep goes for guarding superstars. The refs might be a little more hesitant to whistle a FMVP for touch fouls.

Cry Havoc
06-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Yeah let's hope he doesn't pull a PG24 and disappear

How did George disappear? Did you even watch the playoffs?

phxspurfan
06-20-2014, 10:15 AM
How did George disappear? Did you even watch the playoffs?
Yup, I actually watched many Pacers' games. In crunch time, it was David West or nothing for them. PG24 had some highlight dunks and not much else. His shot dried up at crucial times and he was very beta at many moments throughout the playoffs. ALso, if PG24 was a bona fide MVP candidate they made him out to be at the beginning of the year, they shouldn't have had so much trouble with the 8th seed.

Two10Whitey
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Didn't Pop say he's going to run more plays for him next season? Damn right teams are taking notice for next season.. Go read Durant's tweets.

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Kawhi will put up sorry numbers until Pop retires... ZERO plays for him after last year's "Kawhi proved he's ready to be a focus on our offense"

Cry Havoc
06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Yup, I actually watched many Pacers' games. In crunch time, it was David West or nothing for them. PG24 had some highlight dunks and not much else. His shot dried up at crucial times and he was very beta at many moments throughout the playoffs. ALso, if PG24 was a bona fide MVP candidate they made him out to be at the beginning of the year, they shouldn't have had so much trouble with the 8th seed.

So that entire game where George lit up Wade on both ends of the court was worthless? George just averaged 22 8 and 4 for the playoffs. That's absurd. They went through West a lot because Miami had absolutely no answer for him. Kawhi wasn't even present for the first two games games of the Finals. It happens. They're both young guys and still figuring out their game.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
We don't run plays for Kawhi and it's not going to change. Why don't we run plays for Kawhi? Because he doesn't have the skill set to open up multiple options on offense save for his postgame if he's double teamed (which he won't be). He can't run a pick and roll so he's not going to get the ball in his hands. He's arguably worse at running the pick and roll than Danny Green, and Green is pretty bad.

DMC
06-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Good, play Kawhi harder. He'll just get better faster then, and be used to the tough coverage come playoff time.

:lol Against a team of "pick your poison", doubling Kawhi is like drinking both poisoned goblets and expected positive results. :lmao

Or a land war in Asia.

kobyz
06-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Kawhi will put up sorry numbers until Pop retires... ZERO plays for him after last year's "Kawhi proved he's ready to be a focus on our offense"

Man, he still has a lot to improve, his ball skills not on that level of a vocal point just yet...

poeticism707
06-20-2014, 02:24 PM

No. It's time for next level for Kawhi.

16-17ppg minimum.

All he has to do is be engaged,

and he can do that in his sleep.

The time is now.

kaji157
06-20-2014, 02:27 PM
First he has to enter the USA NT. Then we talk.
That would be very important for his confidence.

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Year 4 time to soar!

ElNono
06-20-2014, 09:40 PM
The Spurs will certainly have a big target on their backs... compounded with the fact that Pop will rest players, I don't know if we're going to see another 60+ wins season.

As long as everyone is healthy for the big dance, it shouldn't matter.

apalisoc_9
06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
If the 5/80 deal is legit, that's even more pressure to perform...

Kidd K
06-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Or a land war in Asia.

It's one of the classic blunders