PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe: Budenholzer was Matt Bonner's strongest backer

BlackSilver
06-20-2014, 02:14 PM
This isn't common knowledge, is it? Could explain why Bonner's minutes were so severely cut back this year once Coach Bud was gone.

From Lowe's latest article about where LeBron might go: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/surveying-the-lebron-landscape/

The Hawks under Budenholzer and Danny Ferry are trying to build the Spurs East, only with more 3-point shooting. (Budenholzer is a shooting zealot, and was known as Matt Bonner’s strongest backer on the Spurs’ coaching staff.) They want high-IQ players who keep the machine moving, share the ball, and shoot from range. Ball-stoppers need not apply. You think LeBron fits that vision? Duh.

BillMc
06-20-2014, 02:17 PM
If true, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matty there next year.

lefty
06-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Fuck coach Bud TBH

weebo
06-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Fuck coach Bud TBH

I agree.

Random5843
06-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Fuck coach Bud TBH +1. And I actually like Matt Bonner.

06-20-2014, 02:36 PM
At least he didn't forget that Leonard was on the team...

BlackSilver
06-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I thought Pop's substitution patterns this year were more innovative than years past. Maybe all that asst. coaching turnover helped him with fresher insights during games.

Mel_13
06-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I thought Pop's substitution patterns this year were more innovative than years past. Maybe all that asst. coaching turnover helped him with fresher insights during games.

Maybe Jim Boylen isn't a complete idiot after all.

Texas_Ranger
06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
When Matt Bonner doesn't start a game during the season the Spurs win the title.

BlackSilver
06-20-2014, 02:44 PM

My thought exactly...or since Udoka was the one orienting all the new coaches, he took the opportunity to wipe the slate clean on some players and poisoned Boylen against Matty :lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Looks like Matty will probably going to the Hawks next season.

Spurs need to look into buying out Bertans or tell Daye to hit the Gym hard and put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle this offseason.

objective
06-20-2014, 04:03 PM

Nah, he's still the guy who forgot he had Kawhi on the bench and had to apologize like a buffoon. I would credit udoka or marks or even forcier or engellend before boylen.

Biernutz
06-20-2014, 04:04 PM
We had enough 3 point shooters who were quick..Marco,Patty and Boris hit the long threes that Matty was
out there for but Matt could not run in and out of the lane passing the ball in the system we now use.
Matt fell out of the rotation and ended up in cleanup time. I like Matt but not at $3-4 Mil......

hooperflash
06-20-2014, 04:10 PM
I wonder how many minutes more Matt was getting when Pop was ejected and Bud would coach.

DJR210
06-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Miami needs shooters, and Bonner needs a tan. Perfect match IMO.

EVAY
06-20-2014, 04:13 PM

tbh, I thought that Boylen's biggest contribution this past season was teaching Pop that he (Pop) shouldn't get himself kicked out of games.

T Park
06-20-2014, 04:51 PM
At least he didn't forget that Leonard was on the team...

Jesus Christ get over that already.

Spur|n|Austin
06-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Fuck coach Bud TBH

Wanna expand on that mindset, tbh?

littlecoyotecoin
06-20-2014, 05:11 PM
...or tell Daye to hit the Gym hard and put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle this offseason.

He is. That was Patty's joke during the AlamoDome Team Roast. Was commenting on Daye working like a horse in the weight room. Whether it will pay dividends, who knows.

therealtruth
06-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Maybe getting rid of all those yes-men helped.

SupremeGuy
06-20-2014, 06:06 PM

Spurs need to look into buying out Bertans or tell Daye to hit the Gym hard and put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle this offseason.Patty said that Daye is a workout hero. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a lot thicker by the start of the season. He could end up being a steal.

06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Jesus Christ get over that already.
You're quite sensitive.

Kawhi
06-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Patty said that Daye is a workout hero. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a lot thicker by the start of the season. He could end up being a steal.
Daye needs to borrow some of that HGH from the heat, dude is skinny af

G-Dawgg
06-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Austin Daye is so skinny. He needs to see a doctor.. he probably has a tapeworm the size of Patty Mills..

Mel_13
06-20-2014, 06:36 PM
He is. That was Patty's joke during the AlamoDome Team Roast. Was commenting on Daye working like a horse in the weight room. Whether it will pay dividends, who knows.

Daye was doing the pre-game radio interview with Bill Schoening sometime late in the regular season and he said that they had already given him a strength and conditioning package to follow through the summer. While I'm sure he can get stronger, I'm not sure how much weight he can possibly add to that frame.

freetiago
06-20-2014, 06:50 PM
after watching the Hawks in the playoffs im not suprised tbh
set the record for most 3 pt attempts in a playoff game in NBA history

Ice009
06-20-2014, 07:14 PM

I was wondering if Patty was joking about Daye getting into the weight room. So you think Daye has been working hard to show the Spurs that he wants the chance to stay on the team, or was Patty joking about it?

T Park
06-20-2014, 07:16 PM
You're quite sensitive.
Says the guy holding a grudge against a coach from a move, what, 6 months ago?

Yeah, I'm the sensitive one.

littlecoyotecoin
06-20-2014, 07:27 PM
I was wondering if Patty was joking about Daye getting into the weight room. So you think Daye has been working hard to show the Spurs that he wants the chance to stay on the team, or was Patty joking about it?

I think Patty was being a good teammate, trying to acknowledge Daye for the work he's putting in. I think the comment was genuine. This is not to speculate on the success Daye is having, but just that Patty was being genuine with the comment about the effort.

littlecoyotecoin
06-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Austin Daye is so skinny. He needs to see a doctor.. he probably has a tapeworm the size of Patty Mills..

Patty weighs 187 lbs. Austin Daye weighs 217 lbs at last report (216-218 lbs, it was reported).

So, subtract the 187 lb tape worm, and Austin Daye's true weight is 30 lbs. Yes. He should see a physician.

BackHome
06-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Patty said that Daye is a workout hero. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a lot thicker by the start of the season. He could end up being a steal.

It was a Joke....the problem he has is he is so skinny but also so slow no lateral speed at all.

06-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Says the guy holding a grudge against a coach from a move, what, 6 months ago?

Yeah, I'm the sensitive one.
You're the one blowing a passing remark out of proportion. :lol grudge against an assistant coach.

Calm down, Spurs just won the championship. No need to be so agitated.

littlecoyotecoin
06-20-2014, 07:37 PM
It was a Joke....the problem he has is he is so skinny but also so slow no lateral speed at all.

Yeah. We beat this to death in the Daye thread. His lateral quickness is the same as Kevin Durant, from their lane agility tests. FWIW. On June 30th, we'll find out if The Spurs think he's too skinny and slow to be effective. I think that's the date.

Chinook
06-20-2014, 07:40 PM
I actually think things are looking up for Daye. If the Spurs gave him a S&C package, it probably means in survives the deadline that is coming up in about two weeks in some form. I don't know if they are just going to commit to guaranteeing his salary, if they have worked out a way to push back the guarantee date or if they intend to cut him and the re-sign him (which would be financially beneficial to both sides but also risky). But the team certainly doesn't view him in the same light as they view Damion James.

I expect to see Austin at the summer league, even though it's unusual to see players there who've been in the league that long. I hope he's joined by whomever the team drafts in the first round this year, along with Denmon, Thomas and some other stashed draft picks. And if those rumors about Carlon Brown are true, I'll be excited to see what he can bring.

SupremeGuy
06-20-2014, 07:46 PM
It was a Joke....the problem he has is he is so skinny but also so slow no lateral speed at all.It was a joke that he's stronger than Baynes, but he was being serious about Daye hitting the gym hard lately. That's probably the biggest thing the Spurs told him to do this summer.

littlecoyotecoin
06-20-2014, 07:55 PM
I actually think things are looking up for Daye. If the Spurs gave him a S&C package, it probably means in survives the deadline that is coming up in about two weeks in some form. I don't know if they are just going to commit to guaranteeing his salary, if they have worked out a way to push back the guarantee date or if they intend to cut him and the re-sign him (which would be financially beneficial to both sides but also risky). But the team certainly doesn't view him in the same light as they view Damion James.

I expect to see Austin at the summer league, even though it's unusual to see players there who've been in the league that long. I hope he's joined by whomever the team drafts in the first round this year, along with Denmon, Thomas and some other stashed draft picks. And if those rumors about Carlon Brown are true, I'll be excited to see what he can bring.

I never want to be accused of being a Pollyanna, but I always believed they thought more of him than just fodder coincident to doing Nando a "solid", as several have said. Glad you are thinking he has an improving chance of sticking around for a little while. Damion James' absence has been noticeable. Daye is always visible. There are tidbits of him getting coaching attention. Now, the strength and conditioning regimen. The previous use of him in non-garbage time situations, specifically, those time-out situations at the end of a quarter, sometimes previously reserved for Bonner. Him starting a game, even against poor competition. Nothing major, but maybe subtle hints that they like him.

He has limitations, but those ball skills, passing, etc. And, of course, if he can hit the three...

DMX7
06-20-2014, 08:00 PM
He will be missed.

dbreiden83080
06-20-2014, 08:07 PM
I always heard from the media that Matt was a popular spur you would never know it here everyone this forum always hated his ass.

Chinook
06-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I never want to be accused of being a Pollyanna, but I always believed they thought more of him than just fodder coincident to doing Nando a "solid", as several have said. Glad you are thinking he has an improving chance of sticking around for a little while. Damion James' absence has been noticeable. Daye is always visible. There are tidbits of him getting coaching attention. Now, the strength and conditioning regimen. The previous use of him in non-garbage time situations, specifically, those time-out situations at the end of a quarter, sometimes previously reserved for Bonner. Him starting a game, even against poor competition. Nothing major, but maybe subtle hints that they like him.

He has limitations, but those ball skills, passing, etc. And, of course, if he can hit the three...

I think they always have liked Daye. They were doing Nando a solid by letting him move on, but they targeted Daye because they wanted to see what he had. De Colo, I believe, said other teams were interested in him, so the Spurs chose Daye above some other players.

But that doesn't mean it was always a foregone conclusion that they'd keep Daye for next season. They liked Malcolm Thomas, too, but they cut him for Othyus Jeffers of all people. I think the fact that Daye seemed to be a great teammate off the bat helped convince them to give him a chance. Austin really seems to love being a Spur, even if that means he's in a suit most nights. That wasn't necessarily the same for De Colo.

I still don't think Daye is a guarantee for the roster, I do think they've either found a way to get out of his guarantee or that they are just willing to eat the money like they were with Thomas last year. (Utah ended up claiming Thomas, so the Spurs didn't have to pay him. But they didn't know that would happen beforehand.) That's why I think he'll be in the summer league, probably as a featured player. The Spurs may well still be Austin's last chance in the league. It's going to be a huge off-season for him.

G-Dawgg
06-20-2014, 08:30 PM

Beaverfuzz
06-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Bonner gone is a good thing. Although I do love this fake a three and deliver a tear drop (?) from the free throw line for 2.

:flag:
:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

ElNono
06-20-2014, 09:11 PM

I'm not too privy into his situation, but he didn't seem to pout while being out, and they're giving him a ring regardless, so the Spurs might keep him unless they use him in some sort of trade. I agree he might stick around. I suspect it will largely depend on the kind of work he puts this summer (if he sticks)...

T Park
06-20-2014, 09:18 PM
At the very least, Daye provides scoring help in December and January when ginobili will be in cryogenic freezing beginning in October.

Chinook
06-20-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm not too privy into his situation, but he didn't seem to pout while being out, and they're giving him a ring regardless, so the Spurs might keep him unless they use him in some sort of trade. I agree he might stick around. I suspect it will largely depend on the kind of work he puts this summer (if he sticks)...

The thing is, his salary for next season becomes fully guaranteed if they don't waive him by the 30th of June (provided they haven't worked out a way to extend that deadline). So they can't wait and see how Daye trains over the summer before cutting him unless they are willing to pay his entire salary. While I think they'd be fine eating the contract if they had to, if they are going to give him a summer plan and let is contract become guaranteed, it would indicate the team has some faith in him.

ElNono
06-20-2014, 09:21 PM
At the very least, Daye provides scoring help in December and January when ginobili will be in cryogenic freezing beginning in October.

I think that will largely be Marco and Corey... Daye will likely fill in for Kawhi, which I'm sure Pop will also keep monitored... especially if he ends up playing for Team USA...

T Park
06-20-2014, 09:25 PM
I think that will largely be Marco and Corey... Daye will likely fill in for Kawhi, which I'm sure Pop will also keep monitored... especially if he ends up playing for Team USA...

If Patty comes back, which I'm about 65% sure he will, helps. I think Daye though is intriguing. Seems to have a good attitude, and has the talent. I'm way more a fan of him than exstatic obviously :lol but I'm not penning him the next Derrick McKey however.

baseline bum
06-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Will be interesting to see. He looked like he was going to be a decent rotation player for a couple of years in Detroit early on.

baseline bum
06-20-2014, 09:29 PM
If Patty comes back, which I'm about 65% sure he will, helps. I think Daye though is intriguing. Seems to have a good attitude, and has the talent. I'm way more a fan of him than exstatic obviously :lol but I'm not penning him the next Derrick McKey however.

You think only 65%? After seeing Patty do the ceremony I think it's not unreasonable to put the odds at 80+%. I mean no way he hosts the ceremony if he's really ready to walk.

ElNono
06-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Even though he's been around the league a bit, he's very raw... he's going to need the Danny Green kind of treatment to make it... Pop is going to challenge him, and that will likely decide if he sticks or not...

T Park
06-20-2014, 09:34 PM
You think only 65%? After seeing Patty do the ceremony I think it's not unreasonable to put the odds at 80+%. I mean no way he hosts the ceremony if he's really ready to walk.

Money talks. Wouldn't be shocked to see a moron team come in and blow him away. Hopeful the spurs head this off with a 3/12 or whatever. Same with Boris.

T Park
06-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Even though he's been around the league a bit, he's very raw... he's going to need the Danny Green kind of treatment to make it... Pop is going to challenge him, and that will likely decide if he sticks or not...

I think at his best he becomes a very solid bench contributed. Cieling? A Stephen Jackson type maybe but longer and smarter.

ElNono
06-20-2014, 09:38 PM
I think at his best he becomes a very solid bench contributed. Cieling? A Stephen Jackson type maybe but longer and smarter.

I like his upside, he definitely has the tools. What gives pause is his swinging around the league. There might be some "getting over himself" thing holding him back. If he doesn't figure it out with Pop, he won't ever figure it out.

T Park
06-20-2014, 09:46 PM
I like his upside, he definitely has the tools. What gives pause is his swinging around the league. There might be some "getting over himself" thing holding him back. If he doesn't figure it out with Pop, he won't ever figure it out.

Ya know I'd agree with the swinging around, but , he's been with some bad teams IE Detroit and Toronto. Memphis had him and Hollins was Larry brown esque in playing him.

I really think a summer with the Spurs coaches like Forcier and England and he can be a solid guy.

baseline bum
06-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Money talks. Wouldn't be shocked to see a moron team come in and blow him away. Hopeful the spurs head this off with a 3/12 or whatever. Same with Boris.

The Spurs will never be able to resign Diaw for 3 years, $12 million. Luckily they have a ton of room under the luxury tax to pay Mills and Diaw good contracts with Duncan and Ginobili taking big paycuts on their current deals and Leonard on a rookie deal. I'm thinking Mills will be 4 years, $18 million or so and Diaw 3 years, $20 million. Those contracts would squeeze Bonner out though unless he takes a paycut.

ElNono
06-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Ya know I'd agree with the swinging around, but , he's been with some bad teams IE Detroit and Toronto. Memphis had him and Hollins was Larry brown esque in playing him.

I really think a summer with the Spurs coaches like Forcier and England and he can be a solid guy.

Could be. His main strength was always outside shooting and he already has a smooth shot, so I'm not sure Chip can help. He does needs to bulk up a bit, and above all, put work on defense.

The Spurs still don't have a backup for Kawhi, and he fits the mold if he wants to put in the work. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs cut or trade him if they find a more solid replacement.

T Park
06-20-2014, 10:50 PM
The Spurs will never be able to resign Diaw for 3 years, $12 million. Luckily they have a ton of room under the luxury tax to pay Mills and Diaw good contracts with Duncan and Ginobili taking big paycuts on their current deals and Leonard on a rookie deal. I'm thinking Mills will be 4 years, $18 million or so and Diaw 3 years, $20 million. Those contracts would squeeze Bonner out though unless he takes a paycut.

Mills 3 and 12. If say Diaw will take 3 years 25 million

T Park
06-20-2014, 10:51 PM
If bonner comes back, to which I wouldn't be 100% against, it's for the minimum. He knows that and I'm sure would be ok with it. Unless, a team desperate for bench help gives him more. I could see Charlotte wanting his veteran presence and help off the bench.

Danny.Zhu
06-21-2014, 01:23 AM
Fuck coach Bud TBH

LOL

Old School 44
06-21-2014, 04:58 AM
Miami needs shooters, and Bonner needs a tan. Perfect match IMO.yep...and Bonner and Udonis Haslem can rekindle their college years at Florida.

z0sa
06-21-2014, 05:02 AM
Back when i was supporting the Spurs in the nosebleeds Bonner was actually well liked. Its a huge part of the reason I defended his sorry ass.

CGD
06-21-2014, 06:02 AM
Some ESPN article I recent read thought the spurs should target Channing Frye as that stretch 4. He had to put on weight over the years too. I see Daye becoming that guy. Frye isn't that beefy either but certainly has a wirey strength to him.

k_nguyen93
06-21-2014, 06:54 AM

Spurs need to look into buying out Bertans or tell Daye to hit the Gym hard and put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle this offseason.
Patty Mills said when he was MCing that Austin lifts weights the most among all the players. I definitely can see him getting some more minutes next year if he's back because he's got a team option. If he comes back, that's a training camp with the Spurs and fits into Pop's system the past couple of years of giving guys more playing time the longer they're in the system.

TampaDude
06-21-2014, 07:17 AM
yep...and Bonner and Udonis Haslem can rekindle their college years at Florida.

Yeah, really...too bad they amnestied Mike Miller...could've been a Gator-fest down there in Miami. :lol

playbonner15
06-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Boiled down

Bonner: 2x NBA Champion, 1x Dunk Champion, 1x (almost) 3 pt champion

Daye: ....

Nick Cannon: ....

Let us proceed...