PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pick Up Option On Mourning

Solid D
08-17-2005, 05:41 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37039/20050817/heat_pick_up_option_on_mourning/

http://207.44.220.101/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/Mourning_Alonzo_mia.jpg

Heat Pick Up Option On Mourning
17th August, 2005 - 3:39 pm
Heat Press Release - The Miami Heat announced today that Alonzo Mourning will return to play for the 2005-06 season. The Heat picked up the team option on Alonzo Mourning’s contract for the 2005-06 season on June 17.

“We are extremely excited about the fact that Zo wants to continue his career in Miami and we feel his decision to come back is going to be critical toward our success and goal of winning an NBA championship,” said HEAT President Pat Riley. “We have the utmost respect for Alonzo and he deserves to be part of this championship run.”

Solid D
08-17-2005, 05:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2136792

Mourning says he's 'more committed than ever'Associated Press

Heat make significant roster changes

MIAMI -- Miami center Alonzo Mourning announced Wednesday that he will return for another season with the Heat.

The 35-year-old Mourning had been contemplating retirement since the Heat were eliminated by the Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals two months ago.

"I remain more committed than ever to bring a championship to Miami,'' Mourning said in a statement released by the team.

The former All-Star center was due to become a free agent after last season, but the Heat picked up the option on his contract in June.

"We feel his decision to come back is going to be critical toward our success and goal of winning an NBA championship,'' team president Pat Riley said. "We have the utmost respect for Alonzo and he deserves to be part of this championship run.'' (a bit assumptive aren't we?)

A win away from the NBA Finals last season, Mourning's return is just the latest move for the Heat. In the last month, the Heat signed Shaquille O'Neal to a five-year deal and dealt awayEddie Jones, Rasual Butler and Qyntel Woods in a 13-player, five-team trade that brought Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, James Posey and Andre Emmett to South Florida.

"I'm thrilled with all the improvements the team has made this summer and can't wait to get on the court and start playing,'' Mourning said.

Mourning averaged 5.0 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.74 blocks in 19 games backing up O'Neal last season, after he signed with the Heat in March as a free agent after playing two seasons with New Jersey.

He averaged 7.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 37 games with the two teams last season.

In his 14 NBA seasons, Mourning has averaged 19.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.93 blocks in 671 career NBA games. He ranks sixth in NBA history in blocks per game, 14th in total blocks and 29th in field goal percentage.

Dre_7
08-17-2005, 05:56 PM
I am just glad that they are in the East! They will be good this year!

benjirh
08-17-2005, 06:00 PM
"We have the utmost respect for Alonzo and he deserves to be part of this championship run.'' (a bit assumptive aren't we?)

I don't think he is saying that they will win the championship, but that he deserves to be on the team when they make a run at the championship. And I don't have any doubt that they will be in contention for the title.

Solid D
08-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, he's just showing confidence...however, zero props to Riles. Maybe it'll be sort of like Detroit's "championship run" this past season.

boutons
08-17-2005, 07:13 PM
:)
a Championship Run, available to all NBA teams just for showing up, is NOT a Championship.

Solid D
08-17-2005, 10:08 PM
This calls for Mr. Dictionary.

SequSpur
08-17-2005, 10:26 PM
wgaf forum