PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: In talks to acquire Klay Thompson

midnightpulp
06-21-2014, 05:32 AM
The Lakers have been in discussions to acquire Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson for the seventh pick in next week’s draft, The Times has learned.

The deal would be part of a larger three-way trade that sends Minnesota All-Star power forward Kevin Love to the Warriors. The Lakers are interested but the deal has been put on hold because of a difference in opinion within the Warriors’ organization whether or not to keep Thompson while trying to obtain Love.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-klay-thompson-kevin-love-trade-20140620-story.html

:lol Mitch

z0sa
06-21-2014, 05:39 AM
:lmao

dg7md
06-21-2014, 05:42 AM
A 7th for Klay? Ridiculous.

Franklin
06-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Not a bad deal for them Lakers I think. Thompson would start for them at SF and provide consistent 3's. Having a clutch shooter on court would definitely make Kobe's life easier imho.

mystargtr34
06-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Kobe calling the shots imo.. he doesn't want to wait for a rookie to develop at this stage of his career.

djohn2oo8
06-21-2014, 06:49 AM
That goddamn Fredo

Koolaid_Man
06-21-2014, 07:01 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-klay-thompson-kevin-love-trade-20140620-story.html

Let me counsel you for a sec.... the easy thing to do is laugh and reject out of hand a proposal like this....there's obviously something else we're not factoring in the event of planned or behind the scenes moves...sure in and of itself it seems like a dud but there's much more going on with the Lakers should they pull this off. Obviously Melo or Lebron factors into this....(even though let me go on record as saying I don't want Lebron playing with Kobe AT ALL) if they can team a young, hungry, and bulls eye stud like Clay up with Kobe, Melo or Lebron you got yourself a dynamic team.

Imagine this:

Kobe
Clay
Melo
Gasol
Lowry

Obviously SF lineups would change depending on Match-ups but it's a nice core....Melo could easily slide to the 4 depending on match-ups.

Thebesteva
06-21-2014, 07:09 AM
Basketball reasons :cry

djohn2oo8
06-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Swaggy Kevin doesn't understand math.

Koolaid_Man
06-21-2014, 07:46 AM
and the rumor mill has it..that the deal is actually:

13th and Klay to LA
Love to GSW
Lee and 7th to T-Wolves

If we can snag Klay plus the 13th pick and then turn around and package Nash and the 13th we're in pretty good shape....and to be honest we're on our way to buying a championship while at the same time building an all around solid team like the Spurs :lol

Thread
06-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Swaggy Kevin doesn't understand math.

Though you understand 0-2 just dandy.

Howard. LMFAO!!!

baseline bum
06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
That would be such a steal for Golden State. Hope it doesn't go through.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-21-2014, 11:36 AM
:lol kool aid is such a typical Lakers fan

"yo we were 13th in the West, but next year imagine this

Kobe
Jerry West
Rondo
Klay
Shaq - no reason to think he won't play like his prime
LOVE
Melo
Ariza
Manu

we stacked "

Mugen
06-21-2014, 12:13 PM
:lol Fredo gonna overpay a slightly better Danny Green.

Cry Havoc
06-21-2014, 12:27 PM
So, a couple of thoughts.

I'm confused. Spurs fans are rejecting the idea that a guy who is an incredible 3 point threat, can create his own shot, and plays very very good to excellent D out of the 2, is not equal value to a guy who might be playing 5 minutes per game in a few years? I realize this draft is loaded, but what are the odds that you bust on the draft pick, ESPECIALLY a team with the recent drafting history of LA?

Klay is a proven player and is going to be a borderline all-star to all-star caliber guard for the next 5-7 years. He's one of the very best 2 way 2 guards in the league. The Spurs just won a title using 2 way non-stars to completely overwhelm defenses. A bit bizarre of the hate in this thread.

However, for the Lakers, I can't see this deal making sense. Because of Kobe. They just threw $48 mil at his head. They're going to pay him AND Klay a near max deal to keep him around? Yeah, that just doesn't seem plausible, their entire cap would be wrapped up in 2 players.

ezau
06-21-2014, 01:10 PM
The circus that is the Lakers

Thread
06-21-2014, 01:22 PM
The circus that is the Lakers

You had your own a year ago. But, nobody cared cept an old man in Phoenix.

scanry
06-21-2014, 01:30 PM

The Spurs were basically awaiting for redemption just like the 1984 Lakers, 1985 Celtics and the 1988 Pistons.

ezau
06-21-2014, 01:32 PM

Duncan>Kobe

Mel_13
06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
:lol Fredo gonna overpay a slightly better Danny Green.

Damn, you beat me to it. Tanking an entire NBA season for the privilege of grossly overpaying Klay Thompson. You can't make this stuff up.

baseline bum
06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
The Spurs were basically awaiting for redemption just like the 1984 Lakers, 1985 Celtics and the 1988 Pistons.

But the Celtics had to settle for shitting all over Sampson when that faggot 5'ed Magic and Co in the WCF.

LOL Abdul-Jabbar, HIV+, Byron Scott, Maurice Lucas, and Michael Cooper losing at home to a team of Ralph Sampson, Rodney McCray, Lewis Lloyd, Robert Reid, and Jim Peterson (Akeem got ejected when Cupcake picked a fight with him earlier in the game).

Buddy Mignon
06-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Thompson is not worth rolling out of bed for. We need a PG. I'd pursue Rondo or that kid from Phili.

Thread
06-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Fine. Next time can you kindly claim your need for such sooner than 12 fucking months?

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2014, 02:16 PM
lol gsw breaking up the so call bullshit smash brothers

ironman2886
06-21-2014, 02:18 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhsomKaCcAA_wnB.png:medium

Leetonidas
06-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Kobe
Jerry West
Rondo
Klay
LOVE
Melo
Ariza
Manu

we stacked "

pretty much :lol nigga has posted more retarded pipedream lineups than anyone on ST :lol

StrengthAndHonor
06-21-2014, 02:38 PM

lol, Nick Young may not even be there

Chinook
06-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Am I they only one who'd applaud the move? What's the seventh-overall pick going to net Los Angeles? A shot that Embiid isn't completely broken down in four years? If they had the chance to draft Thompson at seven this year, it would be a fine get. The Lakers would have Nash, Thompson, Sacre, Marshall and Kobe for $38 Million together. That means they'd have $22 Million to pursue a free agent and a sign-and-trade for Gasol. They'd also have Nash's expiring to offer for something else.

Is it a let-down compared to what Lakerfan though was going to happen? Yes. But the reality is that the Lakers are going to have to try to patch together a competitive roster until Kobe retires. When his albatross is off the books, they'll be able to contend again. But until then, a Nash/Thompson/Kobe/(whatever they get for Gasol)/Monroe "core" is about the best they could hope for.

LkrFan
06-21-2014, 02:40 PM

:lol - Bullshit!

MultiTroll
06-21-2014, 02:42 PM
:lol Can we get a 'chop of $48 Million Kirby in there?

Thread
06-21-2014, 02:43 PM
But the reality is that the Lakers are going to have to try to patch together a competitive roster until Kobe retires.

If you can patch we can patch.

Mel_13
06-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Am I they only one who'd applaud the move? What's the seventh-overall pick going to net Los Angeles? A shot that Embiid isn't completely broken down in four years? If they had the chance to draft Thompson at seven this year, it would be a fine get. The Lakers would have Nash, Thompson, Sacre, Marshall and Kobe for $38 Million together. That means they'd have $22 Million to pursue a free agent and a sign-and-trade for Gasol. They'd also have Nash's expiring to offer for something else.

Is it a let-down compared to what Lakerfan though was going to happen? Yes. But the reality is that the Lakers are going to have to try to patch together a competitive roster until Kobe retires. When his albatross is off the books, they'll be able to contend again. But until then, a Nash/Thompson/Kobe/(whatever they get for Gasol)/Monroe "core" is about the best they could hope for.

:lol

I see what you're doing.

You just want to be able to point to the trade as say: "look what a slightly better version (if that) of Danny Green was able to fetch on the trade market".

Chinook
06-21-2014, 02:48 PM

I see what you're doing.

You just want to be able to point to the trade as say: "look what a slightly better version (if that) of Danny Green was able to fetch on the trade market".

:lol Better hope no one upstairs see this post. The Think Tank will be filled with Green trade ideas just like it was last year after Beli got signed.

Sheriff Hoyt
06-21-2014, 02:50 PM
They won't be any good for a long time and it's not just because of Kobes contract

Chinook
06-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Pretty much. 2015 free agency is just a pipe dream for the Lakers. They'll have to take their merely above-average players and like it.

Seventyniner
06-21-2014, 02:59 PM

Drafting Klay Thompson at 7 would be better because he'd be 2 years further removed from his payday. The Warriors are trying to trade Thompson for the same reason the Spurs traded George Hill.

LkrFan
06-21-2014, 03:00 PM

Chinook
06-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Drafting Klay Thompson at 7 would be better because he'd be 2 years further removed from his payday. The Warriors are trying to trade Thompson for the same reason the Spurs traded George Hill.

Yeah. But the Lakers shouldn't care about paying Thompson. They'd either extend him this season (which means he'd only count for $3 Million on the cap, giving them room to chase free agents this off-season) or they wait and keep him as an RFA next season (meaning he'd count for $3 Million this season and about $7.5 Million next season until get signs a contract). After that, they aren't really going to have to worry about cap space with Kobe coming off the books.

That's what I was saying earlier. The Lakers aren't going to really be able to use free agency to bring in a star anymore, especially not this season. They may as well sign as many third-tier players as they can this summer. Thompson gives them one for only $3 Million. Overpaying Monroe/Ed Davis could give them another. Trading Nash or especially Gasol can get them more. It's pretty much what they'd have to do if they used their pick this season. They'd have the same amount of 2014 cap space, but they'd also likely have a worse player.

jimbo
06-21-2014, 04:11 PM

I think it's a great move...it takes so much risk out of the draft. What percentage of #7 picks have panned out anyhow?

I can see why Lakerfan would be mad with their expectations, but Thompson is a very good player. You're probably not doing better than him at #7.

jag
06-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I think it's a great move...it takes so much risk out of the draft. What percentage of #7 picks have panned out anyhow?

I can see why Lakerfan would be mad with their expectations, but Thompson is a very good player. You're probably not doing better than him at #7.

Well...that depends on who's doing the drafting. Give the Spurs the 7th pick in the draft and see what happens.

Thread
06-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Well...that depends on who's doing the drafting. Give the Spurs the 7th pick in the draft and see what happens.

We gave them 28 seconds up 5 and look what happened.

hehateme
06-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Kobe
Jerry West
Rondo
Klay
LOVE
Melo
Ariza
Manu

we stacked "

Throw in 92 Dream Team just for filler..

DPG21920
06-21-2014, 05:02 PM

Prove it a-hole. LA tried to patch with Dwight and ended up losers. + Kobe gave two rings back and took all the money.

RsxPiimp
06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
pass on this white toast nigga. we already have a chucker on board, possibly two when swaggy p re-signs. jim having another episode of boner shock this time with Klay thompson :lol

Infinite_limit
06-21-2014, 05:05 PM
pass on this white toast nigga. we already have a chucker on board, possibly two when swaggy p re-signs. jim having another episode of boner shock this time with Klay thompson :lol
Klay's father being a Laker probably has something to do with it

Warriors having a power struggle to decide whether dealing Klay is worth bringing in Love? Is that a joke

Thread
06-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Prove it a-hole. LA tried to patch with Dwight and ended up losers. + Kobe gave two rings back and took all the money.

Christ, we've only been on the patch clock for less than a week. Relax.

RsxPiimp
06-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Warriors having a power struggle to decide whether dealing Klay is worth bringing in Love? Is that a joke

all you need to know about the warriors ownership tbh :lol how is that even an argument :lol

spurraider21
06-21-2014, 05:08 PM
The #7 for Thompson is fine but they won't get as many rookie scale years, which is the best advantage of draft picks

DPG21920
06-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Christ, we've only been on the patch clock for less than a week. Relax.

You said it matter of factly. LA hasn't done squat except trade for two losers, pay an injured loser and do a lot of talking. LA has the loser label now and you have to wear it.

Thread
06-21-2014, 05:18 PM
You said it matter of factly. LA hasn't done squat except trade for two losers, pay an injured loser and do a lot of talking. LA has the loser label now and you have to wear it.

Please. A little over a year ago you had the loser label. You took up the needle, the thread and commissed a patchin'. Thru patching you rang. Well, give us a year now. You struck the Patch Template. Give us a crack at it. If next year at this time we're ass over teacup you'll have the con.

Thread
06-21-2014, 05:19 PM
The #7 for Thompson is fine but they won't get as many rookie scale years, which is the best advantage of draft picks

Quit obsessing & ruminating over it, 21. We're face ass down in the shit. Relax.

DPG21920
06-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Please. A little over a year ago you had the loser label. You took up the needle, the thread and commissed a patchin'. Thru patching you rang. Well, give us a year now. You struck the Patch Template. Give us a crack at it. If next year at this time we're ass over teacup you'll have the con.

No no. You have to eat it all year just like you requested of everyone else. You were a loser last year when trying to patch - why do you get two years? How long has it been since you've rang? You've blown the patch opportunities for years now and you will continue to wear the loser label with how you have conducted yourself as a franchise (Nash ipso Dwight facto Kobe contract).

Thread
06-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Klay's father being a Laker probably has something to do with it

At first blanch, yes, but, upon reflection it's arguable. Me? Your old dad? I'd shove him (Klay) up front in the tobacco end and bring in a PG acting as a filter on the back end where Curry grants his favor.

Thread
06-21-2014, 05:23 PM
No no. You have to eat it all year just like you requested of everyone else. You were a loser last year when trying to patch - why do you get two years? How long has it been since you've rang? You've blown the patch opportunities for years now and you will continue to wear the loser label with how you have conducted yourself as a franchise (Nash ipso Dwight facto Kobe contract).

Horseshit. The Patch is a new invention, less than week old confirming it's success. I want a bite at that fuckin' apple. You climbed up out of the do-do and patched your cute ass off. I demand satisfaction.

jag
06-21-2014, 05:30 PM
We gave them 28 seconds up 5 and look what happened.

3 Finals MVPs happened. Three

Gummi Clutch
06-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Horseshit. The Patch is a new invention, less than week old confirming it's success. I want a bite at that fuckin' apple. You climbed up out of the do-do and patched your cute ass off. I demand satisfaction.
You guys will suck for a very long time. Should probably come to terms with it tbh.

Thread
06-21-2014, 05:43 PM
You guys will suck for a very long time. Should probably come to terms with it tbh.

I was until the bastard lodged The Patch. Now I'm filled with hope. I want a crack at The Patch.

spurraider21
06-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Quit obsessing & ruminating over it, 21. We're face ass down in the shit. Relax.
Obsessing? Friend, it's my first comment on the issue. Just giving my 2 cents

DMC
06-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Though you understand 0-2 just dandy.

Howard. LMFAO!!!
You've nary room, you were 0fer with him as well.

Mal
06-21-2014, 07:18 PM
and the rumor mill has it..that the deal is actually:

13th and Klay to LA
Love to GSW
Lee and 7th to T-Wolves

You this aint happening. T-Wolves arent giving 13th and Thompson for 7th.

Thread
06-21-2014, 07:20 PM
You this aint happening. T-Wolves arent giving 13th and Thompson for 7th.

The whole thing is horseshit. It's a circle jerk and we're pivot man.

IrisHockey
06-21-2014, 07:28 PM

Kobe
Jerry West
Rondo
Klay
LOVE
Melo
Ariza