PDA

View Full Version : What can Spurs Fans expect from the 2014 NBA Draft?

raybies
06-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Here is some material I wrote for fun. I kind of aspire to write about the Spurs so I thought I would just do it.

The piece talks about draft history during championship seasons, team needs, and prospects.

This is a blog so nothing fancy. Let me know what you think and please excuse any typos and/or improper English. Point it out and I can work on it. Hope yall enjoy.

http://spurshomer.blogspot.com/

baseline bum
06-23-2014, 10:09 AM
They can expect a commercial right before pick #30

barakz21
06-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Th unexpected

raybies
06-23-2014, 10:21 AM
so true lol

wildbill2u
06-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Spurs become the first NBA team to draft a 16 year old player from Outer Mongolia with Pop's comment, "We think he is an excellent prospect who will need some seasoning in the Chinese leagues before coming to the NBA."

RC Buford agreed and chortled, "He won't cost us a dime against the salary cap."

xellos88330
06-23-2014, 12:16 PM

^This.... the sad thing is, that it is always seems the case before a Spurs pick.

Maybe winning the championship changes things?

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 12:20 PM

^ this

ceperez
06-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Anyone have a list of unexpected draftees?

My guess is any player claiming not to give a damn about being drafted by the Spurs is a likely Spurs candidate.
Any player who refuses a workout with all teams is likely Spurs candidate.
Any player who have a sudden heart murmur is a likely Spurs candidate.
Any player who we've never heard of with ridiculous athletic measurements is a likely Spurs candidate.

Mr. Body
06-23-2014, 12:56 PM

My guess is any player claiming not to give a damn about being drafted by the Spurs is a likely Spurs candidate.
Any player who we've never heard of with ridiculous athletic measurements is a likely Spurs candidate.

Closest that I know of so far are the two guys who were pulling out of the draft and then suddenly decided to stay. One was Damien Ingles.

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 01:01 PM

Any player that doesn't mind playing overseas for the first 3 years of his career is a likely Spurs candidate. :lol

ceperez
06-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Closest that I know of so far are the two guys who were pulling out of the draft and then suddenly decided to stay. One was Damien Ingles.

Yeah so true. Spurs modus operandi, don't give a player an inkling that the Spurs are interested. So when these two listed and then didn't get any feelers, they panicked. Only to find out that someone was indeed interested and made a promise.

George Hill for example wasn't sure that he would be drafted and wasn't sure who it was that was interested.

ceperez
06-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Any player that doesn't mind playing overseas for the first 3 years of his career is a likely Spurs candidate. :lol

Man.... do you have to be so obvious?

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Man.... do you have to be so obvious?

:lol

raybies
06-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Finished my final update. I'm hoping to add some analysis on this site this summer. But yeah I agree about the commercial breaks. lol It happens every year it seems.

SilverSpur
06-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Would love to see a trade using are three picks. Also that commercial thing is no joke. I get all pumped up for the pick and I hear "well be right back after this". The next thing I hear is " Ok, we're back and the Spurs selected while we were gone".
This year they have to gives us some respect for winning the ring and leave us on the air while we select or make a trade.

PublicOption
06-25-2014, 10:29 PM
They need to think about a skilled passing big man that can post up when needed and can knock down a bank shot, a 20 10 guy for 15years........TD will be missed

Uriel
06-25-2014, 11:13 PM
The Spurs will draft a player few of us have ever heard of and that no one in SpursTalk or any third party Mock Draft saw coming. :lol

Uriel
06-25-2014, 11:15 PM

DeShuan Thomas.
Livio Jean-Charles.
Nicolas Batum.
Ian Mahinmi.

Right?

tmtcsc
06-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Whoever we draft will look awesome on youtube....and then won't be good enough to ride the bench.

HI-FI
06-26-2014, 01:18 AM
whoever Spurs draft, at least 50% of the board will hate it. also, bet on black, that's my rule for sports.

ironman2886
06-26-2014, 01:38 AM
I dont know what to expect for the Spurs' draft, but I expect the 2014 NBA lottery teams to have high hope that their draft pick will improve their team. I also expect lottery teams to be in the same position in next year's 2015 NBA draft.

anakha
06-26-2014, 01:42 AM
I fully expect no less than two threads bitching about why the Spurs should have gotten Player X instead after the draft.

Rito3d30
06-26-2014, 04:42 AM
just wish not another draft and stash for XXX years pick

hsxvvd
06-26-2014, 04:49 AM

Lol. So true...every year.

PublicOption
06-26-2014, 06:35 AM
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/06/24/deshaun-thomas-back-another-shot-nba-french-title/11305735/

Old School 44
06-26-2014, 07:02 AM
The unexpected. Even though we pick last, don't think the rest of the league hasn't been watching, particularly all the Spur alumni. Didn't the Spurs recently sign some foreign assistant coaches? Maybe that's a clue as to who they pick.

Captivus
06-26-2014, 07:20 AM
It would go something like this:
The Spurs select "insert name"
WHO???

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Bagdonovic
Inglis
Antetokounmpo
Tavares

xmas1997
06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
The unexpected. Even though we pick last, don't think the rest of the league hasn't been watching, particularly all the Spur alumni. Didn't the Spurs recently sign some foreign assistant coaches? Maybe that's a clue as to who they pick.

They signed or are going to sign Coach Messina.
That would be a good guess on your part, and mine too.
Messina may have an influence on who they draft, some Euro player would be a great guess.

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 07:34 AM
To those hoping for Saric, he will be long gone before we pick. Even with his new contract, he's still a top 25 pick, likely top 20. It would take a trade up, which is highly unlikely. He probably goes to a team like PHX with multiple first round picks who doesn't mind him not coming for 2-3 years.

xmas1997
06-26-2014, 07:39 AM
To those hoping for Saric, he will be long gone before we pick. Even with his new contract, he's still a top 25 pick, likely top 20. It would take a trade up, which is highly unlikely. He probably goes to a team like PHX with multiple first round picks who doesn't mind him not coming for 2-3 years.

This would be a really good draft for the Spurs to package a player and/or one or two of their second round picks to move up in the first round.

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 07:45 AM
This would be a really good draft for the Spurs to package a player and/or one or two of their second round picks to move up in the first round.

Wouldnt mind it at all but I just don't see it. Who would we trade? With the uncertainty of Mills returning, I don't see us trading Cojo right now. We're going to need Beli in the regular season next year. Ayers? No shot. We just don't have many moveable assets.

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 07:48 AM
If anything I could see the Spurs trading their first round pick for a couple of second rounders to avoid having to pay a rookie instead of just drafting a Euro-stash. In such a deep draft I wouldn't be surprised. Team like Philly, who has 4 second round picks, might be interested.

raybies
06-26-2014, 10:35 AM
If anything I could see the Spurs trading their first round pick for a couple of second rounders to avoid having to pay a rookie instead of just drafting a Euro-stash. In such a deep draft I wouldn't be surprised. Team like Philly, who has 4 second round picks, might be interested.

I can really see this happening. Maybe they decide to trade down for a prospect likely to fall, but then again the Spurs do tend to reach. Having four Second Round picks would be fun!

You heard it from BatManu20!

cjw
06-26-2014, 10:42 AM

I love it. Would rather have three wild cards than one, even if that one has a slightly better shot of making it. These may be first round talents down the road.

buttsR4rebounding
06-26-2014, 10:46 AM
I can really see this happening. Maybe they decide to trade down for a prospect likely to fall, but then again the Spurs do tend to reach. Having four Second Round picks would be fun!

You heard it from BatManu20!

Although locking someone in on the rookie scale for the 30th pick is a very affordable contract. It could be less than some of the 2nd round contracts.

raybies
06-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Although locking someone in on the rookie scale for the 30th pick is a very affordable contract. It could be less than some of the 2nd round contracts.

Think Chandler Parsons. That contract was a robbery!

downunder
06-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Spurs have a back up for Parker, he was needed. Duncan needs a backup Bayne s not ready yet. Ginobli needs a backup for his sneakers. Three greats are near the end of their careers and will not be able to consistently produce fot the whole sseason. They have to carry Pop who every now and then loses the plot.

anakha
06-27-2014, 12:38 AM
I fully expect no less than two threads bitching about why the Spurs should have gotten Player X instead after the draft.

Bingo.