PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan decision coming [UPDATE: Opts in]

DesignatedT
06-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Soon.

anakha
06-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Duncan for two more years? Iiiiiiinteresting.

capek
06-23-2014, 11:05 AM
That sounds like a good option to me!

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2014, 11:06 AM
:tu

raybies
06-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Soon.

How do you embed the twitter message?

ernest787
06-23-2014, 11:08 AM
He's due 10m next year I believe. So I'm assuming he'd sign a 2 year 14m deal or similar.

I've actually thought he was going to do something similar for a few days now so I'm glad it's looking like a real possibility

silverblackfan
06-23-2014, 11:09 AM
This would be great news. Timmy continues to school t.he rest of the NBA on how to win!

Baam
I think 10M is fine for him, giving him less than Splitter would be ridiculous imo...

Mugen
:lol If that's the case then...................

Duncan shitting on Kirby and his extension even more tbh.

vander
06-23-2014, 11:11 AM
sending a message to Mills and Boris?

celldweller
06-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Sending a message to the front office. SIGN THEM!

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Great news.

1. Most importantly, we get to see Tim Duncan play basketball for at least one more season.

2. If a new deal lowers his 2014-15 salary, the probability of retaining both Boris and Patty increases significantly, IMO.

3. lol kobe. Duncan clearly values winning more than he does.

Chinook
06-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Great news.

1. Most importantly, we get to see Tim Duncan play basketball for at least one more season.

2. If a new deal lowers his 2014-15 salary, the probability of retaining both Boris and Patty increases significantly, IMO.

1. Indeed. It would also make 2016 the new 2015 in terms of cap space.

2. I don't see that. The only benefit I see in Duncan lowering his salary is if the Spurs finally go under the cap. They provably won't do that if they keep Mills and Diaw. Although I guess it does increase the likelihood that the Spurs give Patty the long-term deal it would take to keep him.

Dex
06-23-2014, 11:23 AM
How do you embed the twitter message?

Use the "tweet" tags, with the tweet ID imbetween them (which is found in the URL of the tweet).

For instance, to embed the above tweet, you would do:

[ tweet]481104118497308673[ /tweet]

Without the spaces, mind you.

loveforthegame
06-23-2014, 11:25 AM

This is the kind of news I like reading.

Dex
06-23-2014, 11:25 AM
1. Indeed. It would also make 2016 the new 2015 in terms of cap space.

2. I don't see that. The only benefit I see in Duncan lowering his salary is if the Spurs finally go under the cap. They provably won't do that if they keep Mills and Diaw.

The Spurs were willing to go above the cap for Richard fucking Jefferson. Maybe...just maybe...Holt loosens the purse strings enough again to try to bring back the championship squad.

God, I love calling them that. :toast

DPG21920
06-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Regardless of the actual impact, if this is true and Tim takes less money (even though it's more guaranteed because of the extra year) he would reach philanthropist status.

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 11:28 AM
awesome news if this happens. if he actually signs up for a 2nd year, it means he won't be plodding through this season as some sort of farewell tour with the finish line in sight. dude is still passionate about winning after everything

Old School 44
06-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Soon.

In the day of the me first superstar, this would be epic.

Prime Time
06-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Duncan fresh off averaging 16/9 for his 5th championship, still hungry for more :cry

No but seriously, Spurs NEED to find a decent system-substitution for him. 'Ginobili' his ass by benching him until the playoffs.

smaka
06-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Duncan is the real man :tu

Dex
06-23-2014, 11:34 AM

littlecoyotecoin
06-23-2014, 11:35 AM
awesome news if this happens. if he actually signs up for a 2nd year, it means he won't be plodding through this season as some sort of farewell tour with the finish line in sight. dude is still passionate about winning after everything

Yeah, but I heard that he is going to play summer ball, representing St. Croix in the CIIBA (Caribbean Inter-Island Basketball Association). He loves St. Croix, so why not do it. He's still young, and nothing bad can come of it.

Chinook
06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Although thinking of that second year as a reward is sort of concerning. That implied that the team is simply giving Tim some extra money for retirement rather than him possibly playing in 2015. I don't really mind that, obviously. Tim's earned more money than the Spurs can legally give him.

The question really is: Why would the Spurs WANT to lower his cap number? Even if they are just giving Tim send-off money, they could could/should make his 2014 cap number as big as possible to preserve 2015 cap space.

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Timmy has pretty much done it all, except for the one thing that has eluded him and the Spurs his entire career...repeating as champions.

We definitely have the squad to do it next season, provided we keep Diaw and Mills, and Ginobili is closer to 2014 form than 2013 form.

A repeat in 2015 and 6 rings for Timmy would make it...

BOILED DOWN:::

1. Jordan
2. Duncan
3. The rest

:hat

Baam
06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Although thinking of that second year as a reward is sort of concerning. That implied that the team is simply giving Tim some extra money for retirement rather than him possibly playing in 2015. I don't really mind that, obviously. Tim's earned more money than the Spurs can legally give him.

The question really is: Why would the Spurs WANT to lower his cap number? Even if they are just giving Tim send-off money, they could could/should make his 2014 cap number as big as possible to preserve 2015 cap space.

Or maybe they're trying to create cap space now as opposed to next year...

Old School 44
06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
It's absolutely amazing that Tim Duncan at age 38 can basically claim any salary he wants from the Spurs next year, and I don't think one person would object to it. Pop probably just handed him a blank contract and said, "Mr. Holt said just fill in whatever you want, and just tell us where to sign."

vander
06-23-2014, 11:42 AM

going after a FA no?

Clipper Nation
06-23-2014, 11:42 AM
"I'm taking my talents to the Clippers." - Timmy

:downspin:

benefactor
06-23-2014, 11:44 AM

Chinook
Or maybe they're trying to create cap space now as opposed to next year...

going after a FA no?

Yeah. That's what I was saying earlier. I can't see them creating more than $4 Million, though. That would give the Spurs $14 Million to use, but with Diaw, Mills and Baynes to re-sign and about $8.5 Million in exceptions to use, I don't see that as being enough.

Baam
The Spurs are going after Melo :wow

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
"I'm taking my talents to the Clippers." - Timmy

:downspin:
nah, you guys like selfies more than banners anyway

Baam
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah. That's what I was saying earlier. I can't see them creating more than $4 Million, though. That would give the Spurs $14 Million to use, but with Diaw, Mills and Baynes to re-sign and about $8.5 Million in exceptions to use, I don't see that as being enough.

I don't think Mills and Baynes matter one bit... But yeah that seems a little low for anything really major...

Maybe they salary dump Beli...

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 11:46 AM

Nope...not a chance in hell of that happening.

dbreiden83080
Timmy going for #6..

littlecoyotecoin
going after a FA no?

It definitely makes the FA situation this year more interesting, I would think. Most thought we could sign Patty and Boris, PROBABLY, before this. Now what?

Emperor
06-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Or perhaps they're making room to include Gasol and use the MLE for someone else?

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Timmy going for #6..

^ this, tbh

kidd_91
06-23-2014, 11:49 AM
going after a FA no?
Imagine this headline later today, Spurs Sports & Entertainment announce Tim Duncan taking less to help sign Lebron James. :lmao The internet would break.

DesignatedT
06-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Or maybe he fully intends to play two more years and doesn't want to deal with the questions anymore.

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Regardless of the actual impact, if this is true and Tim takes less money (even though it's more guaranteed because of the extra year) he would reach philanthropist status.

:lol

I don't know about that, but it would make him a de facto member of the ownership group.

vander
06-23-2014, 11:51 AM

well I still think Spurs will keep Mills/Diaw for less than market price. at the very least Spurs can sign them to longer-than-deserved contracts at a lower rate. all that matters is 2015, till the wheels fall off, etc.

call me crazy, I've got my fingers crossed for Stephenson.

if Spurs could get him and get his mind right, there would be almost no rebuilding period IMO

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Or perhaps they're making room to include Gasol and use the MLE for someone else?
if im not mistaken you can't sign FA's with cap space AND use the MLE in the same offseason. if we resign all our guys, we can use the full MLE on pau, if that was the plan. but if thats the case duncan taking a paycut would literally only benefit holt, and not our roster

davidbowie
06-23-2014, 11:52 AM
tim really is the greatest ever if this is true

HERO. GOAT. LEGEND.

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Or maybe he fully intends to play two more years and doesn't want to deal with the questions anymore.
he could have just opted in for a year and signed a 1 year extension. there's no purpose to taking less money this year unless they plan to use that cap space on a FA, but not sure who we can really go after tbh

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 11:54 AM

Or they've abandoned any intention of creating cap space this year or next year. Bring back the same group, augment with the MLE, and stay well below the tax line. That's what I meant earlier with my opinion that a lower 2014-15 salary for Duncan increases the probability that both Boris and Patty are retained.

dbreiden83080
06-23-2014, 11:54 AM
he could have just opted in for a year and signed a 1 year extension. there's no purpose to taking less money this year unless they plan to use that cap space on a FA, but not sure who we can really go after tbh

Just put us in the best spot to re-sign everyone we got..

DPG21920
06-23-2014, 11:55 AM

I don't know about that, but it would make him a de facto member of the ownership group.

I get that Timmy has made a ton of money (I've argued this with others on here), but with him sticking in SA his entire career and forgoing several endorsement opportunities (due to market and his own personal decisions) what he's done the past few years has been huge. He didn't need the massive paycuts in order to win before, but they have been critical as of late to keep the team in contention.

St. Duncan IMVHO

DesignatedT
06-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Taking less money never serves zero purpose. It might not effect what the Spurs are technically capable of doing this summer but it still makes it easier for the ownership group to fork out a bunch of money for Patty and Boris. Seeing your payroll as low as possible always helps.

Second, he might fully intend to play two years and doesn't want the media to turn this into a farewell tour like so many people would.

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 11:58 AM
I get that Timmy has made a ton of money (I've argued this with others on here), but with him sticking in SA his entire career and forgoing several endorsement opportunities (due to market and his own personal decisions) what he's done the past few years has been huge. He didn't need the massive paycuts in order to win before, but they have been critical as of late to keep the team in contention.

St. Duncan IMVHO

Timmy is rich enough...he wants more rings, not more $$$. :hat

raybies
06-23-2014, 11:59 AM
They must have an idea of what it's gonna take to re-sign Patty and Boris and want to get low enough under the cap so that all the exception money can be used without going under the cap.

Robz4000
06-23-2014, 12:01 PM
:worthy:

MannyIsGod
06-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Or they've abandoned any intention of creating cap space this year or next year. Bring back the same group, augment with the MLE, and stay well below the tax line. That's what I meant earlier with my opinion that a lower 2014-15 salary for Duncan increases the probability that both Boris and Patty are retained.

This makes complete sense to me. Duncan wants that repeat and I think he realizes the importance of keeping Diaw and Mills here. I don't think they're going after a big FA and mixing things up at this point. That would make zero sense to me.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-23-2014, 12:02 PM

This is ridiculous. Mills is literally middle class. He hasn't made anything yet. Duncan is worth over $100M.

Mel_13

St. Duncan IMVHO

We're a ridiculously spoiled fan base.

r0drig0lac
goat gonna goat

Chinook
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM

Yes, I got that. But even if the Spurs aren't trying to create a lot of 2015 cap space anymore, it's still in their best interest to give Tim more money this year than next. It makes sense to allow for all the raises players are going to get, as well as two years of potential MLE deals.

doobs
06-23-2014, 12:05 PM
I would be shocked if the Spurs make a splash in free agency or trades. I think they are working hard to keep this team together for another run, especially Mills and Diaw. Introducing new players introduces uncertainty, i.e., lack of corporate knowledge, which for a team like the Spurs undermines their entire model. Even star players like Kawhi and Parker had to be eased into the system, trained by the coaches and broken by Pop.

If Duncan takes less, it's because they've come to the realization that him taking less is necessary to keep the team together (including Bonner). Not because the Spurs are trying to get Melo or Lebron or whatever other ridiculous fantasy FA people are masturbating to.

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 12:06 PM
I would be shocked if the Spurs make a splash in free agency or trades. I think they are working hard to keep this team together for another run, especially Mills and Diaw. Introducing new players introduces uncertainty, i.e., lack of corporate knowledge, which for a team like the Spurs undermines their entire model. Even star players like Kawhi and Parker had to be eased into the system, trained by the coaches and broken by Pop.

If Duncan takes less, it's because they've come to the realization that him taking less is necessary to keep the team together (including Bonner). Not because the Spurs are trying to get Melo or Lebron or whatever other ridiculous fantasy FA people are masturbating to.

^ truth bomb

vander
06-23-2014, 12:07 PM

but they don't need Duncan to take a pay cut to keep the same team

Emperor
We're a ridiculously spoiled fan base.

That we certainly are.

will_spurs
I agree with Chinook. 2015 cap space seems a lot more important.

Of course it could mean something big for this offseason, as that $8.5m trade exception is HUGE. Could the Spurs actually go after a legit FA with this? (e.g. Love)

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Yes, I got that. But even if the Spurs aren't trying to create a lot of 2015 cap space anymore, it's still in their best interest to give Tim more money this year than next. It makes sense to allow for all the raises players are going to get, as well as two years of potential MLE deals.

Unless they have an internal budget cap that is somewhere below the tax. I'm pretty sure that it's reached the point that Tim is briefed on the business as if he is a partner in the franchise.

There's also the possibility that his new deal has a decreasing salary structure. It's also possible that they already have agreed on the parameters of deals with Boris and/or Patty.

They tend to wrap up all this business very early in free agency window.

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 12:10 PM
I agree with Chinook. 2015 cap space seems a lot more important.

Of course it could mean something big for this offseason, as that $8.5m trade exception is HUGE. Could the Spurs actually go after a legit FA with this? (e.g. Love)

What 8.5M TE?

J_Paco
06-23-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't think Mills and Baynes matter one bit... But yeah that seems a little low for anything really major...

Maybe they salary dump Beli...

I'm pretty sure arguably the best back up point guard in the NBA, who saved our asses on more than a few occasions with all of Tony's ailments/healthy issues this past season, matters a lot to the front office and locker room. Patty worked his ass off and became a vital piece on championship team when just few seasons ago it looked like he'd be fringe NBA player or journeyman. I think they'll try their best to retain him and possibly Baynes too.

Belinelli can't be salary dumped without a suitable contingency plan in place for Manu. He'll likely stay and play a bigger role in the regular season, but have his minutes cut down come April, May and (hopefully) June. His three point shooting can't be undersold as well in particular with Bonner's future on the team up in the air.

The player I'd envision being salary dumped - to either create a roster spot or financial flexibility - is the terrible experiment that is/was Jeff Ayers. He brings nothing to the table but decent athleticisms (which he doesn't effectively use) and some rebounding. His offensive and defensive game are just putrid, IMO.

101A
06-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Not a Spurs guy. Lebron on the other hand...

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Spurs would be at 42-43 mil if Duncan opts out and they dump Daye. Depends on Duncan's new contract, but they could either be trying to create some cap space this year or they could simply look for resigning everyone and adding a MLE player without reaching the tax. Probably all on 2 year deals with more money annually. Then in 2016 they'll have all the capspace they want.

I have no doubt that Duncan plays 2 more years whether he opts in or out.

xapatan2
06-23-2014, 12:23 PM

For me it is pretty clear watching this team and the way they inter-act each other that re-signing Diaw & Mills is a done deal.

I did not pay attention if this has been reported here in Spurstalk but 2 or 3 days after Game 5, there was a big interview of Boris and Tony in L'équipe, the french daily newspaper about sport. Tony, stated that effectively, NBA is primary a business but that he was ready to take a pay cut to help re-signing Boris.

They're the spurs and Tim is just a fantastic leader and a great individual.
Xap'

Aztecfan03
06-23-2014, 12:25 PM
but they don't need Duncan to take a pay cut to keep the same team
Unless Patty and/or Boris are gonna get more than you expect.

Andthentherewas21
06-23-2014, 12:26 PM
What are the chances Duncan let this leak just to troll ST?

But seriously, I think the most plausible idea is that opting out and then getting something like 14/2yr deflects the media attention on his potential retirement. I doubt he wants a farewell tour ala Derek Jeter, and if he doesn't extend or opt-out and re-sign that is going to be the story-line all year (probably attract more attention then the spurs will want too). I believe it was an article last year that said Tim and Tony both lobbied for Mills when the team was decided whether to pick up his option (could be mistaken though). If the spurs and Duncan are actually thinking about this in terms of financial purposes, I'm pretty sure its to look out for their own players rather than acquire free agents.

vander
06-23-2014, 12:29 PM
lots of good teams will very likely be better next year: Chicago with a healthy Rose and Love would be scary, Houston adding anyone of value will be scary, Clippers and Thunder could both improve.

if the Spurs FO gives a shit, there is no way they are just going to keep this same team together and hope for the best. if TD is taking a pay cut it's because they are going after someone

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2014, 12:30 PM

I can see the 2 year deal including a partial guarantee for the 2nd year ( in case he does decide on retiring after next year).

Cry Havoc
06-23-2014, 12:35 PM
well I still think Spurs will keep Mills/Diaw for less than market price. at the very least Spurs can sign them to longer-than-deserved contracts at a lower rate. all that matters is 2015, till the wheels fall off, etc.

call me crazy, I've got my fingers crossed for Stephenson.

if Spurs could get him and get his mind right, there would be almost no rebuilding period IMO

You're crazy. You're a looney toon. Why would we want to screw with a championship team by signing a headcase for a massive amount of money? That would be one of the worst signings we could make. Stephenson is about 2 bad calls away from going Malice on someone, be it opposing player, coach, or teammate. Dude is a loose cannon... The last thing the Spurs would ever want. I wouldn't sign him for the minimum.

Dex
06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
I can see the 2 year deal including a partial guarantee for the 2nd year ( in case he does decide on retiring after next year).

Definitely. If Tim does decide to extend another year, I'd be highly surprised if he didn't push out that player option.

vander
06-23-2014, 12:40 PM
You're crazy. You're a looney toon. Why would we want to screw with a championship team by signing a headcase for a massive amount of money? That would be one of the worst signings we could make. Stephenson is about 2 bad calls away from going Malice on someone, be it opposing player, coach, or teammate. Dude is a loose cannon... The last thing the Spurs would ever want. I wouldn't sign him for the minimum.

:lol I have no rebuttal, other than I think he can turn his attitude around in SA, Indy was a terrible environment. and if he does he would be an amazing value, since his head problems are going to severely reduce his next contract

Dex
06-23-2014, 12:41 PM

He was pretty clutch for us, tho.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/20140601/5045575/lance-stephenson-blowing-on-kevin-durant-o.gif

Richie
06-23-2014, 12:42 PM

Agreed with this. If Tim is happy to take $14m over 2 years, why not pay him $13m next year and the minimum in 2015/16?

The only downside is how it looks, but I seriously doubt Timmy or the Spurs organisation care about that. Who cares if he 'only' makes the minimum if he got his pay check the year before?

Cry Havoc
06-23-2014, 12:47 PM
:lol I have no rebuttal, other than I think he can turn his attitude around in SA, Indy was a terrible environment. and if he does he would be an amazing value, since his head problems are going to severely reduce his next contract

Doubt it. Someone gonna pay dat man.

spursparker9
06-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Agreed.

Lance Stephenson is the only guy that you wouldn't sign even for the vet min.

There are rumors about him becoming a cancer after he learnt that he was not selected for the All-Stars Game. Even before that there are many cases of his questionable character.

Maybe Pop can control or change him, maybe the Spurs family culture and environment can change him. But I wouldn't want to risk the possible last year of Timmy and Manu.

Vic Petro
06-23-2014, 12:49 PM
lots of good teams will very likely be better next year: Chicago with a healthy Rose and Love would be scary, Houston adding anyone of value will be scary, Clippers and Thunder could both improve.

if the Spurs FO gives a shit, there is no way they are just going to keep this same team together and hope for the best. if TD is taking a pay cut it's because they are going after someone

Chicago is the example you use of a team you are scared of? *If* Rose is healthy which we haven't seen and quite frankly I think it's a long shot at this point that he's ever the same player he was. *If* they get Kevin Love who we aren't even sure is being traded this offseason. Lots of ifs ifs ifs. Meanwhile Spurs have been the best team in the West the last two years on the strength of continuity and internal growth. But yeah, panic moves and change for the sake of change. That's what they need.

Andthentherewas21
06-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Now that I think about it, could Tim be taking less money for the Spurs to buy another 1st in the draft? Several teams are reported to be shopping picks including the Bulls and Suns and the going rate for 1st rounders is approximately at $3 million...

Doubt it but never know.

lefty
06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Use the "tweet" tags, with the tweet ID imbetween them (which is found in the URL of the tweet).

For instance, to embed the above tweet, you would do:

[ tweet]481104118497308673[ /tweet]

Without the spaces, mind you.

We should have a Twitter button

Slomo (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=121), imo

vander
06-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Chicago is the example you use of a team you are scared of? *If* Rose is healthy which we haven't seen and quite frankly I think it's a long shot at this point that he's ever the same player he was. *If* they get Kevin Love who we aren't even sure is being traded this offseason. Lots of ifs ifs ifs. Meanwhile Spurs have been the best team in the West the last two years on the strength of continuity and internal growth. But yeah, panic moves and change for the sake of change. That's what they need.

I would say the Spurs winning the west the last 2 years had more to do with injuries and Diaw/Mills taking their game to another level than "Continuity and Growth". Houston will be better next year, Thunder will be better next year (baring injury), Clippers should be better next year unless they screw it up...

staying put is conceding tbh

spursparker9
06-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Soon.

Timmy probably made this decision after seeing Manu is going for the World Cup. :lol

Cry Havoc
06-23-2014, 12:58 PM

If Rose stays healthy, he would absolutely make Chicago scary. They play 1-5 solid defense and are modeling their franchise similarly to ours. If they get Love they would be my favorite to make the Finals, but even with just Melo they could be a serious threat. Let's not pretend like we're invincible less than two months after facing a do or die game in the playoffs on our home court.

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 12:59 PM
If Rose stays healthy, he would absolutely make Chicago scary. They play 1-5 solid defense and are modeling their franchise similarly to ours. If they get Love they would be my favorite to make the Finals, but even with just Melo they could be a serious threat. Let's not pretend like we're invincible less than two months after facing a do or die game in the playoffs on our home court.

Nigga, please...we'd absolutely punk Chicago in the Finals.

littlecoyotecoin
06-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Now that I think about it, could Tim be taking less money for the Spurs to buy another 1st in the draft? Several teams are reported to be shopping picks including the Bulls and Suns and the going rate for 1st rounders is approximately at $3 million...

Doubt it but never know.

I'm with you, Richie, and Vander...there are so many more possibilities with Tim doing this than we can see on the surface. I would be skeptical that it is JUST to sign Boris and Patty.

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I think 10M is fine for him, giving him less than Splitter would be ridiculous imo...

spursparker9
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
The East teams are absolutely not a threat.

The only teams that are worth worrying are OKC, GS (if love is traded there)and LAC

Cry Havoc
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Nigga, please...we'd absolutely punk Chicago in the Finals.

Probably. You never know. Rose would be a tough cover. I mean, as things stand there's not a team in the league we wouldn't punk -- but look how that attitude has gone over for teams in the past. 2004 Pistons were invincible. So we're the Lakers when they got Nash and Howard. The Lakers initial 3 peat looked unstoppable until we bashed their skulls in. :lol our 2005 team looked loaded for a 3 peat until 06 went down. It's crazy how things change year to year. I fully expect us to repeat but there's a long road to hoe between now and next June.

Dex
06-23-2014, 01:08 PM
We should have a Twitter button

Slomo (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=121), imo

:tu I second this motion.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Doubt it but never know.

i love where your heads at.

Vic Petro
06-23-2014, 01:10 PM

You haven't seen Derek Rose healthy in years. I'll believe he returns to an All NBA talent when I see it. What are they giving Minnesota for Love? Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson? Good luck with that. Melo makes them interesting, especially if they get him without a S&T, but they are certainly not a team I feel the Spurs need to *preemptively* counter.

What front office makes moves off of other teams' hypothetical moves? Houston is a joke and if they get Melo, they are an even bigger joke. OKC and the LAC are the scariest teams in the west. The East currently does not have a really scary team, though Miami could obviously get there pretty easily.

The Spurs need to keep doing what they've been doing. Keep the guys together and tweak the end of the bench. Hopefully with more younger, upside players.

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 01:10 PM
I fully expect us to repeat but there's a long road to hoe between now and next June.

True...it's a long, hard road to the championship...that's why they're so special. :hat

Robz4000
06-23-2014, 01:17 PM

Love padded stats on a terrible Minny team while playing little to no D. Let's see how he looks on an actual playoff team before calling anyone he joins a favorite for the Finals. Also, who knows what a healthy Rose will look like at this point; could be an All-Star, could be Greg Oden as a PG.

eric365
06-23-2014, 01:18 PM
It's official now, Spurs FO had infos and pictures on the Amy / Tim situation the whole time

Nice to know he comes back next season

06-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Some thoughts:

1. If Duncan takes a lower salary, would that REALLY help the Spurs cap situation? I believe the Spurs are pretty under the cap so there is no danger of hitting the luxury tax. If the Spurs re-sign Mills and Diaw, then they probably won't have money for a big free agent anyways. Does it really matter if Duncan saves the Spurs $3-4 million if that money won't be used on a big FA acquisition? I would rather Duncan keep his $10 million salary that he earned.

2. People like to shit on Kobe for taking a large salary (I used to too) but his reasoning is actually pretty logical. The NBA owners have profited billions of dollars from the backs of NBA talent. Fans spend a lot of money on the NBA and I would rather that money go to NBA players rather than fill the pockets of already billionaires. Kobe says the Buss family has always paid the luxury tax to go after good players and build a championship contender and that he's lucky the family acknowledges his contribution in raking in record profits. Look at the Miami Heat. Lebron brought back to back championships and the money that came along with it. Lebron and co also took a decent pay cut to play on the Heat together. How did Mickey Arison repay Lebron? He responded by cutting salary and trying to save MORE money so he can collect MORE profit, which led to the bench disparity against the Spurs, leaving Lebron to carry the entire scoring load.

People like to point to the salary cap as reason to take lower salaries, but who instituted the salary cap in the first place? Who kept fighting for a hard salary cap and luxury tax in the previous lockout? The owners did and they did it because they wanted to keep salary costs down and take in more profit. Owners are trying to convince players to take even lower salaries so their team remains competitive because of a cap the owners put in the first place. It's like your boss putting a salary limit on the entire company and then asking you to take a pay cut so he has money to hire better coworkers for you. To laugh at Kobe for taking money he deserves is ridiculous. Yes, a salary cap protects smaller markets but for a big market like Los Angeles, the owners can afford to pay Kobe the money he deserves.

DesignatedT
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
It's like your boss putting a salary limit on the entire company and then asking you to take a pay cut so he has money to hire better coworkers for you.

Apples to Oranges. In this particular case your "co-workers" are as equally important as you are. At least for those who truly care about winning. Comparing it to the regular workforce just doesn't make sense. Tim truly wants to win, Kobe rather get payed. It's pretty simple. It's hard to have both these days and whether that's right or wrong isn't the point.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Soon.

That's what I thought and this doesn't surprise me. Duncan wants to ensure that Patty and Boris stay. With those two, the Spurs have a shot at repeating. I hope the Spurs can bring over Bertans this year as well. As he could start to play a pivotal role in the Spurs 15-16 season.

objective
06-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Lower deal doesn't help with free agents, spurs would have to renounce diaw and the others to get to offer more than the mle.

will_spurs
06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
What 8.5M TE?

Nothing, got confused by the wording.

Baam
06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Some thoughts:

1. If Duncan takes a lower salary, would that REALLY help the Spurs cap situation? I believe the Spurs are pretty under the cap so there is no danger of hitting the luxury tax. If the Spurs re-sign Mills and Diaw, then they probably won't have money for a big free agent anyways. Does it really matter if Duncan saves the Spurs $3-4 million if that money won't be used on a big FA acquisition? I would rather Duncan keep his $10 million salary that he earned.

2. People like to shit on Kobe for taking a large salary (I used to too) but his reasoning is actually pretty logical. The NBA owners have profited billions of dollars from the backs of NBA talent. Fans spend a lot of money on the NBA and I would rather that money go to NBA players rather than fill the pockets of already billionaires. Kobe says the Buss family has always paid the luxury tax to go after good players and build a championship contender and that he's lucky the family acknowledges his contribution in raking in record profits. Look at the Miami Heat. Lebron brought back to back championships and the money that came along with it. Lebron and co also took a decent pay cut to play on the Heat together. How did Mickey Arison repay Lebron? He responded by cutting salary and trying to save MORE money so he can collect MORE profit, which led to the bench disparity against the Spurs, leaving Lebron to carry the entire scoring load.

People like to point to the salary cap as reason to take lower salaries, but who instituted the salary cap in the first place? Who kept fighting for a hard salary cap and luxury tax in the previous lockout? The owners did and they did it because they wanted to keep salary costs down and take in more profit. Owners are trying to convince players to take even lower salaries so their team remains competitive because of a cap the owners put in the first place. It's like your boss putting a salary limit on the entire company and then asking you to take a pay cut so he has money to hire better coworkers for you. To laugh at Kobe for taking money he deserves is ridiculous. Yes, a salary cap protects smaller markets but for a big market like Los Angeles, the owners can afford to pay Kobe the money he deserves.

Great post imo, that's why if it's not done to acquire a big time FA there's really no point...

Mr. Body
06-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Lower deal would help with next year more than this one, wouldn't it? This year it doesn't seem like it would be a bit help, as FAs would come under the MLE most likely, unless Mills and/or Diaw are gone.

06-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Apples to Oranges. In this particular case your "co-workers" are as equally important as you are. At least for those who truly care about winning. Comparing it to the regular workforce just doesn't make sense. Tim truly wants to win, Kobe rather get payed. It's pretty simple. It's hard to have both these days and whether that's right or wrong isn't the point.
But you can't blame Kobe for taking the money he rightfully deserves. The owners are the ones forcing players to choose between winning or taking a well earned salary because they imposed the cap in the first place.

In fact, the owners probably look at Duncan, Leborn, Bosh, Wade and secretly smile because everyone bought their bullshit. The owners have convinced fans and players to associate taking less money with winning. And guess who profits from that?

Brazil
06-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Meanwhile Manu will be paid M 7 next year and will play for Argentina NT :depressed

lefty
06-23-2014, 01:50 PM
:tu I second this motion.
oh yeah
Slomo, the people have spoken

daslicer
06-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Duncan is very smart when it comes to his money. Even though he has taken pay cuts throughout his career he has still managed to be in the top 10 in net-worth all-time for NBA players. This goes to show you why Duncan can take pay cuts.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-23-2014, 02:03 PM
But you can't blame Kobe for taking the money he rightfully deserves. The owners are the ones forcing players to choose between winning or taking a well earned salary because they imposed the cap in the first place.

In fact, the owners probably look at Duncan, Leborn, Bosh, Wade and secretly smile because everyone bought their bullshit. The owners have convinced fans and players to associate taking less money with winning. And guess who profits from that?

Don't you know the Players get playoff bonuses as well. They get a big bonus if they make the Finals. Yes, the owners make more, but the Players makeup the difference with the additional monies they receive from nba record bonuses, playoff and advertising revenues they receive.

So taking 1-2 mil less on a team that makes the Finals each year and has a top 3 record would pay would be equivocal to signing with a non-playoff team for 2mil more a season. Plus factor in Texas has no State tax. This goes for players like Patty and Diaw.

Duncan has made over 200 mil over his career. He doesn't care about money at this point.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2088192-nba-finals-payout-2014-full-prize-money-purse-distribution-for-heat-vs-spurs

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Duncan is very smart when it comes to his money. Even though he has taken pay cuts throughout his career he has still managed to be in the top 10 in net-worth all-time for NBA players. This goes to show you why Duncan can take pay cuts.

That's because Tim Duncan is the exact opposite of the yo boy bling-bling gangsta hustler that so many athletes are nowadays. He's actually kind of a geek, but that's okay...it means he's smart with his $$$ and he'll be set for life when he retires. You won't ever be reading about a bankrupt Tim Duncan in the news.

UZER
06-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Second year might not even be real. Just a cover-up so he won't have a farewell tour this coming year.

weeks
06-23-2014, 02:06 PM

isn't the point of the cap to keep big market teams from crushing small market teams?

Baynes
06-23-2014, 02:06 PM
read somewhere that he will opt out to sign a minimum?

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
read somewhere that he will opt out to sign a minimum?
i doubt it, that would basically be cheating, and i just don't see him signing a deal paying him less than Marco :rollin

superbigtime
06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Tim is a sports god.

.G.
06-23-2014, 02:15 PM

DesignatedT
06-23-2014, 02:22 PM

I don't blame him but he will never win again because of it. That's his choice. I'm not taking the owners side because they make more money than anyone but you won't catch me feeling bad for the players. They make plenty of money as well. I am in favor of leveling the playing field for everyone though and the new CBA does that in some aspects. I would support a hard cap.

Dex
06-23-2014, 02:24 PM
#StayTimStay

Spur|n|Austin
06-23-2014, 02:32 PM

:wow

-21-
06-23-2014, 02:35 PM
If he does opt-out and re-sign for another contract, PATFO probably have something up their sleeves. They wouldn't do this if it doesn't help them in any way.

Diego20
06-23-2014, 02:36 PM

:clap:clap

DesignatedT
06-23-2014, 02:37 PM
They wouldn't do this if it doesn't help them in any way.

They would do whatever he asks them to do tbqh.

Dex
06-23-2014, 02:39 PM
If he does opt-out and re-sign for another contract, PATFO probably have something up their sleeves. They wouldn't do this if it doesn't help them in any way.

Positioning for enough wiggle room to give Diaw and Mills what they deserve, imo.

eric365
06-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Kobe : 201 WS, earned 280M$
Probably proportional to FG%

Old School 44
06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
TD should sign like the "Trading Places" bet. Sign for a token "1 dollar". :)

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
duncan obviously trying to make room for Melo :lol

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Excellent post.

You're absolutely right that Kobe, or any professional athlete, has every right to do everything he can to maximize his earnings for as long as he is able to play.

Just don't say say that you're all about winning when you actually mean that you'd like to win as much as possible as long as there's no impact on your salary. For the 2014-15 Lakers, Kobe's salary has a very definite impact on their ability to construct a winning team.

By all means, take the money. Just don't tell us that winning is your highest priority.

spurs10
06-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Great news.

3. lol kobe. Duncan clearly values winning more than he does.What is the news? Was there a tweet suggesting Tim is renogiating for two years?

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 02:48 PM
What is the news? Was there a tweet suggesting Tim is renogiating for two years?

Yes. See the first post of the thread.

Blizzardwizard
06-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Tim can do what he wants, tbh. :worthy:

letmk
06-23-2014, 02:53 PM

You've made a valid point, however, it's only useful before the signing of CBA. Once CBA is already there, which as you said the players have already "lost" as a whole. And players can do nothing against the owners until the next CBA negotiation.

Then what players like TD and LeBron have done to give the team a better chance to win only shows where their real desire and ambition are at.

cjw
06-23-2014, 03:02 PM
if im not mistaken you can't sign FA's with cap space AND use the MLE in the same offseason. if we resign all our guys, we can use the full MLE on pau, if that was the plan. but if thats the case duncan taking a paycut would literally only benefit holt, and not our roster

You get half the midlevel if below the cap. Still something more than under the old CBA, albeit not enough for a true midlevel guy.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 46s
San Antonio's Tim Duncan has decided to opt into the final year of his contract at $10.3M, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

benefactor
06-23-2014, 03:04 PM
And there it is.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-23-2014, 03:04 PM
lol anticlimax

DesignatedT
06-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Welp. Sweet.

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 03:05 PM
lol anticlimax

benefactor
06-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Wonder what the deal is going to look like. I expect we will hear something pretty quick.

Mel_13
You get half the midlevel if below the cap. Still something more than under the old CBA, albeit not enough for a true midlevel guy.

Roughly half the salary and half the years. So, 2yrs/5.5M as opposed to 4yrs/21M.

spurraider21
can't believe Duncan is being this selfish. thought he wasn't like Kobe

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Wonder what the deal is going to look like. I expect we will hear something pretty quick.
there's not much to divulge :lol... its 1 year 10.3

gameFACE
And there it is.

Yup. That's more like Tim - a tweet announcement. Coming on Letterman is already rare for him much less making an announcement on national tv.

Spurs 4 The Win
lol Buck Harvey, what a loser

Mel_13
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 46s
San Antonio's Tim Duncan has decided to opt into the final year of his contract at $10.3M, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Five pages of speculation shot down by the Woj.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2014, 03:08 PM

spurraider21
the Woj.
:worthy:

Mr.Bottomtooth
Interesting that it leaves the idea of him playing even more after next season.

RD2191
06-23-2014, 03:09 PM
lol Buck Harvey, what a loser
:lmao?

Mugen
:flag:

Spurs 4 The Win
Only way he comes back again is to try for the threepeat

benefactor
06-23-2014, 03:10 PM
there's not much to divulge :lol... its 1 year 10.3
:lol...nvm...I misread the tweet.

:lol SAEN
:lol intellectual property

Ron Swanson
06-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Five pages of speculation shot down by the Woj.

That ended rather quickly. :lol

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 03:11 PM
:lol intellectual property

Spurs 4 The Win
06-23-2014, 03:11 PM
:lmao?

The guy who said Tim might opt out, credibility shot

Mel_13
06-23-2014, 03:12 PM
That ended rather quickly. :lol

Serves us right for the treating the SAEN as a legit source.

RD2191
06-23-2014, 03:12 PM
The guy who said Tim might opt out, credibility shot
Your post made me laugh, idk where the fucking question mark came from. Must of been a typo on my end.:lol

Baam
06-23-2014, 03:13 PM
:lol didn't make any sense the way it was presented tbh.

-21-
06-23-2014, 03:14 PM
5 pages of discussion wasted. :lol

Emperor
06-23-2014, 03:16 PM
F'n Buck Harvey that useless turd.

vander
06-23-2014, 03:17 PM
5 pages of discussion wasted. :lol

it was fun. too bad the rumor wasn't true though

Dverde
06-23-2014, 03:17 PM
I think in 2015, TP, Manu, Timmy should sign with Cleveland and win a title there. Show people it can be done.

Robz4000
06-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Better this way tbh. Tim gets paid like he deserves....well, not exactly, but $10mil > $7-8mil.

06-23-2014, 03:18 PM
2014-2015 farewell tour :cry

Dverde
06-23-2014, 03:23 PM
I bet Garnett retires now. He doesn't want to retire the same year as GOAT PF.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Obviously he would have opted out to sign for the min so the Spurs could add LeBron, but changed his mind because Manu decided to play for Argentina. Duh

houston spurs fan
06-23-2014, 03:25 PM
2014-2015 farewell tour :cry
Damn, I think you are right.

BatManu20
06-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Here's the story from Woj.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--tim-duncan-exercises-final-year-option-on-contract-202144527.html

TheDarkSide.
06-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Knew this was too good to be true, but hey maybe this gives the team a little more motivation to send Timmy out with a back to back..something he has never achieved in his career.

bklynspursfan
06-23-2014, 03:31 PM
well then lol

baseline bum
06-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Nice to have Tim back. Hopefully he convinced Patty to come back too. I think Boris is a lock unless RC lowballs him.

Dex
06-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Harvey is losing it, obviously.

That being said...this is still good news.

TIM DUNCAN IS FUCKING COMING BACK.

He could have easily followed in DRob's footsteps and gone out on top. And I'm sure he still completely plans to do so.

But he is still hungry.

He can always sign another contract later. He's getting max value of this deal, and let's give it to him. This is Tim Duncan we are talking about.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Diaw and Mills better come back, and not be greedy punks. The Spurs made them, they're only getting good offers because SA gave them a chance. They should stay loyal to the team that made them.

weeks
06-23-2014, 03:36 PM
let's do it. one more time. let's change the narrative to (the threepeat that got away)

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Nice to have Tim back. Hopefully he convinced Patty to come back too. I think Boris is a lock unless RC lowballs him.
pretty sure Tim will vouch for Diaw... i think they'll get it done. mills is the bigger question mark imo, but this development of his shoulder injury actually improves the odds of him staying

RD2191
06-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Diaw and Mills better come back, and not be greedy punks. The Spurs made them, they're only getting good offers because SA gave them a chance. They should stay loyal to the team that made them.
Not to sounds too douchey but it's a privilege to play for the Spurs. I completely agree with your statement.

baseline bum
06-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Harvey is losing it, obviously.

That being said...this is still good news.

TIM DUNCAN IS FUCKING COMING BACK.

He could have easily followed in DRob's footsteps and gone out on top. And I'm sure he still completely plans to do so.

But he is still hungry.

He can always sign another contract later. He's getting max value of this deal, and let's give it to him. This is Tim Duncan we are talking about.

I hope Tim doesn't plan on going out on top. With David it made sense because his body was breaking down in both 02 and 03. The wheels were falling off for David. But Tim is still looking amazing health-wise, and I hope he plays another 2-3 years unless injuries start really dogging him.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-23-2014, 03:45 PM
I really really hope Timmy plays for at least two more years.

Dex
06-23-2014, 03:52 PM
I hope Tim doesn't plan on going out on top. With David it made sense because his body was breaking down in both 02 and 03. The wheels were falling off for David. But Tim is still looking amazing health-wise, and I hope he plays another 2-3 years unless injuries start really dogging him.

Just because I said Tim plans on going out on top, doesn't mean he necessarily plans on doing it next season. ;)

After all these years, I feel like we all know Tim's mentality pretty well.

:flag:

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Buck just got nailed to the Tree of Woj. :lol

Holden_Caulfield
06-23-2014, 03:56 PM
til the wheels falls off :cry

admiralsnackbar
06-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Hoops Czar
06-23-2014, 04:06 PM

That's right. Woj waits until after the news has broken to report it.

TampaDude
06-23-2014, 04:10 PM
That's right. Woj waits until after the news has broken to report it.

Yup...that's the difference between actual reporting and mere speculation. :lol

MeloHype
06-23-2014, 04:18 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:
its so beautiful now that we don't have to make the 5th trophy the spinning one :cry

Darkwaters
06-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Pretty sure the 7 seconds or less Suns made Boris. That and a timely injury to Amare Stoudemire.

siraulo23
06-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Thank you timmy for coming back for one more season :cry

BanditHiro
06-23-2014, 04:50 PM
if you haven't seen him play, next year might be your only chance.

hater
06-23-2014, 05:13 PM
:tu I'm goin to see TD a few times next season :tu

spurs10
06-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Great news! Yeah making the announcement on Lettermen would have a bit too dramatic for Tim.

Mal
06-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Goood news. Never in doubt, tbh

Raven
06-23-2014, 05:47 PM
i'm actually happier like this, it gives me the idea that they do have a plan for the after duncan, instead of going to be the 2000 houston rockets

100%duncan
06-23-2014, 06:06 PM
YES! CHASE FOR SEIS IS ON!

ace3g
06-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Official Press Release

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/140623_tim_duncan_exercises_player_option

mystargtr34
06-23-2014, 06:20 PM
:lol Cuck Harvey

mystargtr34
06-23-2014, 06:21 PM
In all seriousness this is awesome news. Another year of having Timmy. I say there's still a good chance he goes on for a couple more years if the wheels stay on.

ElNono
06-23-2014, 06:42 PM
great news :flag:

ManuTastic
06-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Back again Tim!

ace3g
06-23-2014, 10:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq3WPXuCcAE798S.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq3bKw2CYAAHR35.jpg:large

Skull-1
06-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Soon.

Duncan sucks. Go to LA you old assed loser!

hsxvvd
06-24-2014, 05:35 AM
Hypothetically what do people think Duncan is worth as a free agent? He's a Spurs for life I know, but what sort of offers do you think other teams would (hypothetically) offer him in free agency this year? It would surely only be interest from contenders at this point or a team wanting his play-off experience perhaps.

BanditHiro
06-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Hypothetically what do people think Duncan is worth as a free agent? He's a Spurs for life I know, but what sort of offers do you think other teams would (hypothetically) offer him in free agency this year? It would surely only be interest from contenders at this point or a team wanting his play-off experience perhaps.

he is still one of the better frontcourt players in the league so he could easily get something along the the lines of 15 million or more a year.

superbigtime
06-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Thank you God!

TimmyDuncan21
06-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Yessssss. :downspin: :downspin:

DocDoc
06-24-2014, 08:27 AM
he is still one of the better frontcourt players in the league so he could easily get something along the the lines of 15 million or more a year.

He can't play that many minutes anymore, which would limit his value to teams without center depth.

SupremeGuy
06-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Hypothetically what do people think Duncan is worth as a free agent? He's a Spurs for life I know, but what sort of offers do you think other teams would (hypothetically) offer him in free agency this year? It would surely only be interest from contenders at this point or a team wanting his play-off experience perhaps.Based off this past year? Easily between 13-15 or if a team really wanted him, a bit more.

pgardn
06-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Miami would take him.

Poll the Miami fans, Duncan or Melo for another run? This would be interesting to see justified responses.
Assuming there really are true Miami fans who know something about basketball above and beyond Arab DJs...

Kidd K
06-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Timmy has pretty much done it all, except for the one thing that has eluded him and the Spurs his entire career...repeating as champions.

We definitely have the squad to do it next season, provided we keep Diaw and Mills, and Ginobili is closer to 2014 form than 2013 form.

A repeat in 2015 and 6 rings for Timmy would make it...

BOILED DOWN:::

1. Jordan
2. Duncan
3. The rest

:hat

Kareem and Russell are still up there, but it does bump Magic down. If you're going only modern-era guys, it makes Duncan top 3 though. It'd be nice if he got another FMVP

Kidd K
06-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Yup...that's the difference between actual reporting and mere speculation. :lol

:lmao exactly.

How is that something to even make fun of? "lmao, he waits until sources are confirmed and facts are checked to report news. What a LOSER! :lol"

Kidd K
06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Kobe : 201 WS, earned 280M$
Probably proportional to FG%

It's because of defense.

Kobe Offensive Rating: 111
Duncan Offensive Rating: 110

Kobe Defensive Rating: 105
Duncan Defensive Rating: 95

Duncan completely cruhes Kobe on defense. Whole different solar system in defensive impact. Kobe average, Duncan nearly highest DRating ever (2nd atm, and barely not 1st solely due to playing longer in decline years much longer than #1 guy).