PDA

View Full Version : Medium: The Best Player Since Jordan

Dex
06-23-2014, 02:36 PM
When Michael Jordan retired — hell, even before Michael Jordan retired — the NBA and its fans spent countless hours trying to identify and pledge allegiance to an heir. It has to be somebody’s league, the thought process went. When the dust settled, and candidates named Penny, and Grant, and Vinsanity, and A.I. faded into the background, we were essentially left with Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant. Both were worthy. Both were deserving of the throne, so to speak.

Shaq won three titles with Kobe, one without him, was All-NBA 1st Team eight times, and was the most dominant presence in the game. Kobe, of course, won those three rings with Shaq, two without him, was All-NBA 1st Team 11 times, and was the best post-MJ wing in the game. Ultimately, the greater basketball universe just kind of collectively shrugged and agreed Kobe was the one, and the “best players of their era” cannon was then complete: Bird and Magic, then M.J., then Kobe (and now LeBron).

Alas, we were wrong. Kobe wasn’t the one. And neither was Shaq. It was Tim Duncan.

It was always Tim Duncan.

Read more: https://medium.com/the-cauldron/3da47f9ca3e1

Nice little article on Timmy, despite some spelling errors and the author apparently forgetting about John Salley.

jhfenton
06-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Nice little article on Timmy, despite some spelling errors and the author apparently forgetting about John Salley.

Yeah. If you want to exclude Salley, you need to qualify it with "start" on championship teams in three decades.

Thanks for the link. That's one I would never have found. :)

KaiRMD1
06-23-2014, 11:00 PM
ESPN will say otherwise

Malik Hairston
06-23-2014, 11:04 PM
ESPN will say otherwise

Most people on ESPN seem to have Duncan ahead of Kobe, actually:lol..

It's really only the "old media" types that say otherwise, like Wilbon, Kornheiser, etc..

Off the top of my head, Simmons, LeBatard, Bomani Jones, and virtually every "new-age" ESPN employee has Duncan ahead of him, and even did prior to these Finals..

Sean Cagney
06-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Most people on ESPN seem to have Duncan ahead of Kobe, actually:lol..

It's really only the "old media" types that say otherwise, like Wilbon, Kornheiser, etc..

Off the top of my head, Simmons, LeBatard, Bomani Jones, and virtually every "new-age" ESPN employee has Duncan ahead of him, and even did prior to these Finals..And they are all 100% correct.

kobe4life
06-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Such bs he is not the best player of the Post Jordan era. God is ahead of him simply because he was a better scorer. God scored 81 points and has lead the league in scoring while Cuck Duncan has never done that at all.

exstatic
06-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Such bs he is not the best player of the Post Jordan era. God is ahead of him simply because he was a better scorer. God scored 81 points and has lead the league in scoring while Cuck Duncan has never done that at all.

Hope The Rapist enjoys scoring points this season, and his sure fire early May tee time at Pebble.

kobe4life
06-23-2014, 11:47 PM
Hope The Rapist enjoys scoring points this season, and his sure fire early May tee time at Pebble.

I can't wait for the first Spurs-Lakers regular season game. I'm look forward to God going off on the spurs for one of his vintage 50 point games.

spursparker9
06-24-2014, 12:17 AM
I can't wait for the first Spurs-Lakers regular season game. I'm look forward to God going off on the spurs for one of his vintage 50 point games.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/sawat.gif

:lmao