PDA

View Full Version : The next under the radar move

Old School 44
06-23-2014, 04:22 PM
I would be happy with the Spurs having the team return with the core playoff rotation for the 2014-15 season. While the rest of our competitors try to make the big splash chasing guys like Melo, LeBron, and Love, I believe the Spurs will quietly do something under the radar to tweak their roster.

With their penchant for acquiring foreign born players, who do you think they will try to acquire this year? Turiaf, Kirilenko, Sefolosa, Scola, Gortat, Pau Gasol, Nash.

Who do you think would be the best fit?

xmas1997
06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Channing Frye

Taking it to the Hole
06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't see the Spurs trying to target any of those players particularly because their price tag will be too high and I don't think really any of them could play in the Spurs system with the exception of Scola and Gasol. I do see the Spurs targeting another foreign player but via the draft rather than free agency.

elemento
06-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Scola after he is waived by Indiana

spurraider21
06-23-2014, 04:56 PM
lebron

Old School 44
06-23-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't see the Spurs trying to target any of those players particularly because their price tag will be too high and I don't think really any of them could play in the Spurs system with the exception of Scola and Gasol. I do see the Spurs targeting another foreign player but via the draft rather than free agency.
You're probably right about the cost, but it wouldn't surprise me if they picked up someone like Turiaf, just because of the Parker/Diaw connection, similarly Scola with Manu. With all the international players on the team, I wonder if the Spurs players indirectly scout for the team when they are playing for their National teams?

jermaine
06-23-2014, 05:15 PM
You're probably right about the cost, but it wouldn't surprise me if they picked up someone like Turiaf, just because of the Parker/Diaw connection, similarly Scola with Manu. With all the international players on the team, I wonder if the Spurs players indirectly scout for the team when they are playing for their National teams?

^^^+1

Taking it to the Hole
06-23-2014, 05:18 PM
If we could get Scola cheap, I wouldn't mind it but if he is going to demand starter money, no way. He can hit the mid-range jumper consistently and that would be a nice change-up offensively when Diaw or Splitter is on the court but I worry about his defense and durability. If he is serious about winning, he would come here but I don't know if he is over us not giving him a shot the first time around.

gambit1990
06-23-2014, 05:26 PM
not that i think it'll happen, but i've liked josh mcroberts for a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8AEif8Kmo

he had the second best assists to turnover ratio this past season too.

FireMicoHalili
06-23-2014, 05:31 PM
If it's an under the radar move, and a perfect one, it probably won't be any that will be discussed here. Sports writers probably look at this thread and tweet something like "Sources say Spurs interested in..."

-21-
06-23-2014, 05:35 PM
not that i think it'll happen, but i've liked josh mcroberts for a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8AEif8Kmo

he had the second best assists to turnover ratio this past season too.

To be fair, I haven't seen much of McBob but I don't get all the love he gets. I know he can jump and hit a few jumpers.

tdunk21
06-23-2014, 05:42 PM
gortat would be a nice have but i dont think its going to happen

redskinfan
06-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Deshaun Thomas.

Steve-O-Matic
06-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Anthony Morrow

biskvito
06-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Lucas Nogueira...

Hoops Czar
06-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Jeff Ayres.

CGD
06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Austin Daye

r0drig0lac
06-23-2014, 08:12 PM
bertans

exstatic
06-23-2014, 08:30 PM
If we sign all of our FAs, and jettison Daye and James, I wouldn't be averse to Sefalosha at or near the minimum for one of the two slots. He had an awful contract year, but the year before he shot 48 FG% and 42 3G%, and he's a really good defender.

still.focused
06-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Damn Gortat would be such a great fit
Moves his feet well, good hands and PnRs are his thing
Plus he finished at the rim
AND HES FOREIGN!
DC is prolly gonna pay him tho

Timmy4ever
06-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Pau Gasol. He's high potential of basketball IQ just like Boris. And want's ring.

Proxy
06-23-2014, 08:53 PM
:lol not getting Gortat

Leetonidas
06-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Luol Deng tbh

Kindergarten Cop
06-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Pau Gasol. He's high potential of basketball IQ just like Boris. And want's ring.

You realize that Gasol has 2 rings already, right? I agree with him having an extremely high Basketball IQ, but he won't necessarily feel the need to sacrifice a big contract to coattail his way to a championship like many veterans before.

Steve-O-Matic
06-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Uhh, guys.....Pau Gasol, Luol Deng and Marcin Gortat would not classify as "under the radar" moves. Nor do they classify as remotely realistic, as the Spurs won't have 1/20th of the cap space needed to sign any of them after they re-sign Diaw and (hopefully) Mills. They wouldn't even have the cap space to sign them if they let Diaw and Mills both walk.

Kindergarten Cop
06-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Uhh, guys.....Pau Gasol, Luol Deng and Marcin Gortat would not classify as "under the radar" moves. Nor do they classify as remotely realistic, as the Spurs won't have 1/20th of the cap space needed to sign any of them after they re-sign Diaw and (hopefully) Mills. They wouldn't even have the cap space to sign them if they let Diaw and Mills both walk.

I agree with your point about Deng and Gortat, but it would not surprise me at all to see the Spurs and Gasol showing mutual interest - and agreeing to a full MLE deal. Both sides have TREMENDOUS respect for one another and a deal would benefit both. I don't think that it is likely to happen, but it's at least a reasonable suggestion.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2014, 09:34 PM
To be fair, I haven't seen much of McBob but I don't get all the love he gets. I know he can jump and hit a few jumpers.

I've been following McBob since his rookie season and really like his game. He's an elite big man passer who can shoot from range and does everything else reasonably well. If Bonner moves on, he'd be a great fit in Bonner's spot, if we can snag him cheaply. However, I think he'll stay with the Hornets (nee BobCats) and cost too much for us even if he doesn't.

If we sign all of our FAs, and jettison Daye and James, I wouldn't be averse to Sefalosha at or near the minimum for one of the two slots. He had an awful contract year, but the year before he shot 48 FG% and 42 3G%, and he's a really good defender.

I kinda like that idea - gives us 3 flexible, elite wing defenders to throw at an opponent, and eliminates the problem when one of them gets into foul trouble. He's a system player, and who makes the most of those guys better than the Spurs?

Looking at the roster though, what are our needs for 2014-15? Not much that I can see. We have depth, flexibility, and a bunch of guys who know how to use the system. I'll take that to war any day! ;)

06-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Anthony Morrow

He could thrive in this system with his improved three-point shooting, though his defense and lack of passing would be concerning.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2014, 10:07 PM
He could thrive in this system with his improved three-point shooting, though his defense and lack of passing would be concerning.

With Beli already there, Spurs don't want another shooter who is poor defensively. And his lack of passing wouldn't work in the system.

KaiRMD1
06-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Anthony Bennett

exstatic
06-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Anthony Bennett

Sorry. He DEFINITELY shows up on radar.

still.focused
06-23-2014, 10:22 PM
:lol not getting Gortat

Cant stop me from dreaming :sleep

tmtcsc
06-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Ariza would be a nice pick up to back up Leonard. Too expensive though I'm guessing.

spursparker9
06-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Pau Gasol

dg7md
06-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Someone like Channing Frye would be perfect... a shooting big man is ideal in our system.

wildcardX
06-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Maybe bringing Bertans over to try for a roster spot. Or moving their draft picks and/or player to get a higher pick. Don't think the team would do anything else this offseason unless they can't re-sign one of their free agents.

Ron Swanson
06-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Someone like Channing Frye would be perfect... a shooting big man is ideal in our system.

I agree. I think he could do well here.

lefty
06-24-2014, 12:35 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_chris_quinn.jpg

Godbama
06-24-2014, 12:45 AM
I like what we saw of this Dejuan Blair guy in the playoffs, maybe give him a shot.

Chinook
06-24-2014, 01:02 AM

:lol Did you draw his name out of a hat? That's about the only way you can come up with someone as random as the Mighty Quinn.

Chinook
06-24-2014, 01:05 AM
McRoberts is really the best potential (realistic) free agent out there, in my opinion. He fits the team like a glove and still have upside. I have no sense of certainty that the Spurs are even going to use their MLE this season, but if they do, I can't think of a better possible way to do it (except also leaving enough room to bring in Bertans on a long-term deal). Obviously, if Diaw manages to leave, McRoberts is instantly the player the Spurs have to target to "replace" Boris.

szkorhetz
06-24-2014, 01:53 AM
McRoberts is really the best potential (realistic) free agent out there, in my opinion. He fits the team like a glove and still have upside. I have no sense of certainty that the Spurs are even going to use their MLE this season, but if they do, I can't think of a better possible way to do it (except also leaving enough room to bring in Bertans on a long-term deal). Obviously, if Diaw manages to leave, McRoberts is instantly the player the Spurs have to target to "replace" Boris.
If Boris leaves Gasol is the only player I want the team to target. Although, I don't see him leaving.

Chinook
06-24-2014, 01:57 AM
If Boris leaves Gasol is the only player I want the team to target. Although, I don't see him leaving.

Gasol makes no sense as a Diaw replacement. The Spurs would have no PFs on the roster and five Cs.

wildchild
06-24-2014, 03:04 AM
I'd like to know more about young foreigns like Bertans and Livio status/teams/seasons/evolution/etc but Bruno's MIA, not sure if ST have latvian members (I remember seeing some flags but not sure), and the other frenchies are...well I don't know where they're.

smaka
06-24-2014, 03:44 AM
I'd like to know more about young foreigns like Bertans and Livio status/teams/seasons/evolution/etc but Bruno's MIA, not sure if ST have latvian members (I remember seeing some flags but not sure), and the other frenchies are...well I don't know where they're.

As posted in two other threads, Bertans said that he amd Bogdanovic will both play in the nba next year.

szkorhetz
06-24-2014, 04:22 AM
Gasol makes no sense as a Diaw replacement. The Spurs would have no PFs on the roster and five Cs.

Yeah, 1 of 3 positions the Spurs have.

wildchild
06-24-2014, 10:27 AM
As posted in two other threads, Bertans said that he amd Bogdanovic will both play in the nba next year.

Sorry, I didn't read it. :oops Thanks!!

SilverSpur
06-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Luis Scola
DeShaun Thomas
Chris Kaman
Kris Humpries
Erazm Lorbeck

Omer Asik
Pau Gasol

Would really like to see Austin Daye gain weight (muscle) and have the Spurs put him to work, summer leauge / Toros / training camp. I think he's a Diamond in the rough.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Luis Scola
DeShaun Thomas
Chris Kaman
Kris Humpries
Erazm Lorbeck

Omer Asik
Pau Gasol

Shouldn't it be Five and counting by now or you listing Tim's FMVPs.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Aminu

xmas1997
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Labron James.
If that happened, no one would have seen it coming.

smaka
06-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I didn't read it. :oops Thanks!!
No problem! Just a hint, you'll get more updates about international prospects in the ThinkTank forum ;)

mclinejr
06-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I wish Chandler Parsons was somehow an option. Dude's a solid player.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I wish Chandler Parsons was somehow an option. Dude's a solid player.
DUde is gonna get paid Batum money.

buttsR4rebounding
06-24-2014, 03:07 PM
I would be happy with the Spurs having the team return with the core playoff rotation for the 2014-15 season. While the rest of our competitors try to make the big splash chasing guys like Melo, LeBron, and Love, I believe the Spurs will quietly do something under the radar to tweak their roster.

With their penchant for acquiring foreign born players, who do you think they will try to acquire this year? Turiaf, Kirilenko, Sefolosa, Scola, Gortat, Pau Gasol, Nash.

Who do you think would be the best fit?

I think Kirilenko fills the biggest need for a real back up 3. The fact that he is running away from Brooklyn indicates to me that Pierce will be available as well (although not the premise of this thread)

FvckMavs
06-24-2014, 03:08 PM
I think Kirilenko fills the biggest need for a real back up 3. The fact that he is running away from Brooklyn indicates to me that Pierce will be available as well (although not the premise of this thread)

Wake up! He opts in.

Strategic
06-24-2014, 03:40 PM
huh

bthewigwam
06-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Labron James.
If that happened, no one would have seen it coming.

Or if we can get Paul George back on the team. :bang

Rescueone
06-24-2014, 03:51 PM
I say go after Parsons from Houston!! He would be a great addition to the Spurs

xmas1997
06-24-2014, 04:30 PM

I like McRoberts but not as much as Frye. McRoberts is younger than Frye but has played on five different teams already.
Why do you like him the best?

Old School 44
06-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Gasol or Kirilenko. We need a Spaniard or a Russian to join the UN.

It's interesting to me how the Spurs look at developing basketball programs in other countries, then they step in and try to get their best players. It can be argued that these players are amongst the best players from their respective countries ever. Ginobili - Argentina, Parker - France, Mills - Austrailia, Belinelli - Italy. I thought at one time the Spurs were going to sign half of the Argentinian National Team.

Cry Havoc
06-24-2014, 04:46 PM
I like McRoberts but not as much as Frye. McRoberts is younger than Frye but has played on five different teams already.
Why do you like him the best?

McRoberts is a traditional banger. Decent defender but is only going to play the 4 on our team.

Frye is a much faster more agile player. Better range and can play on the wing. Will probably demand = or less money as well. Frye can play the 3 or 4 reliably, although larger 4s will eat him in the post.

It's a tough call and I think either could contribute.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2014, 05:28 PM
I'd say Aminu, that guy has room for growth and you all know he's not getting that in New Orleans. If they could fix his shot he'd be a great contribution

Whisky Dog
06-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Biggest FA on the radar are Diaw and Mills. Both have proven big time players on the biggest stage and ideal fits for this system.

Other than that it'll be whatever the Spurs do with their 1st round pick this draft or bringing over a Bertans or other stashed Euro to get in the system and start learning now on the Tiago Splitter plan.

heyheymymy
06-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Channing Frye

this was the move i made in 2k in my association. been toying around with it, but as crazy as it sounds, it really works. Watch the sick chemistry when you start TD/Splitter and bring Frye/Diaw off the bench with mills, beli and manu.

he was kinda lackluster last season iirc, but i still think he would look good on the spurs.

he opted out of his deal with the suns and could be had imo.

barakz21
06-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Lebron to the spurs. If it does happen, then it should count as under the radar since nobody really saw us pulling it off, much less attempt it.

BatManu20
06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Al Farouq Aminu

xmas1997
06-24-2014, 10:25 PM
Lebron to the spurs. If it does happen, then it should count as under the radar since nobody really saw us pulling it off, much less attempt it.

My feelings too.

Thomas82
06-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Clint Capella.......our new Kawhi Leonard.

Aztecfan03
06-25-2014, 01:56 AM

I thoght it was Bogdan's agent who said that and I'm not so sure he was talking ABOUT bertans rather than TO bertans.

bluebellmaniac
06-25-2014, 02:58 AM
I thoght it was Bogdan's agent who said that and I'm not so sure he was talking ABOUT bertans rather than TO bertans.

I thought it was Bogdan's agent retweeting one of Bertan's tweets.

smaka
06-25-2014, 03:18 AM

I thought it was Bogdan's agent retweeting one of Bertan's tweets.
The tweet was from Bogdan's agent, and he quoted what Bertans said about himself and Bogdan.

MI21
06-25-2014, 03:51 AM
McRoberts is a traditional banger. Decent defender but is only going to play the 4 on our team.

Frye is a much faster more agile player. Better range and can play on the wing. Will probably demand = or less money as well. Frye can play the 3 or 4 reliably, although larger 4s will eat him in the post.

It's a tough call and I think either could contribute.

McRoberts is not a banger. He can jump. Can shoot from range quite well. Really good ballhandler for a guy his size/position. He has the audacity and capability to throw behind the back passes. Actually, one of the few things he doesn't have a decent skill set in is "banging"..

Frye is a far superior shooter and better post defender. I would be happy to add either to the Spurs roster. I'm not sure Frye makes a lot of sense with as Frye/Duncan and Frye/Splitter is a bit big and immobile and Frye/Diaw is not ideal rebounding wise.

Kiwi
06-25-2014, 04:44 AM
Chris Douglas Roberts

jesterbobman
06-25-2014, 04:55 AM
McRoberts is not a banger. He can jump. Can shoot from range quite well. Really good ballhandler for a guy his size/position. He has the audacity and capability to throw behind the back passes. Actually, one of the few things he doesn't have a decent skill set in is "banging"..

Frye is a far superior shooter and better post defender. I would be happy to add either to the Spurs roster. I'm not sure Frye makes a lot of sense with as Frye/Duncan and Frye/Splitter is a bit big and immobile and Frye/Diaw is not ideal rebounding wise.

If you get Frye, Split starters and pair Duncan-Diaw in the front court and Splitter-Frye on the bench. (Or at least have heavy minutes of that mix of guys, TD/Tiago at C, Frye/Diaw at PF)

Same applies for McBob.

xmas1997
06-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the astute observation.

Cry Havoc
06-25-2014, 09:21 AM

He's still most at home from the free throw line extended inward to the hoop. I should have been more concise with the language I was using. He can extend to 3 point range but he excels in moving without the ball and catching oops and getting putbacks. The Bobcats seem to like using him out of the high post a lot because of his vision, but I'm not sure that's where the best spot for him is.

My concern with Frye at any point is the fact that he's only 245. That's mighty light for a 6'11" guy. He might be a good and versatile defender but I think against someone like Houston he could get swallowed up.

Also not sure I agree with the "far superior" shooter statement. They both shot around 43% from the field (slight edge to McRoberts) and Frye was just .9% ahead of McRoberts in 3 point %. He did take quite a few more though, so it would be accurate to say that he's better at stretching the defense, but both have good range for big men. I think McRoberts is superior in his off-ball movement and that would likely be an asset in the multi-passing offense the Spurs have.