PDA

View Full Version : Official "Predict Whom the Spurs Will Draft" Thread

Uriel
06-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Every year, analysts from various third party websites compile Mock Drafts that make an educated guess on which players NBA front offices will draft. Every year, SpursTalkers frequent these mocks, discuss the merits of each prospect within the Spurs' target range, and make their selections for whom the Spurs ought to draft.

And every year, the Spurs end up drafting a player whose name few people have ever heard of and that no one ever really saw coming.

I've been frequenting this message board for years now, and to my knowledge, no one has ever correctly predicted whom the Spurs actually ended up drafting. Now that the draft is finally happening tomorrow, the purpose of this thread will be to determine if there's any Spurs fan out there who can successfully guess whom the Spurs will pick on draft night. This intent of this thread is not to assert whom you think the Spurs should draft (there are already plenty of other threads about this), but whom you think the Spurs will draft.

My Prediction: Damien Ingliis.

My Rationale: Ingliis was on the verge of pulling out of the draft towards the deadline, but suspiciously wavered on his decision and decided to stay on at the last minute. This strongly suggests that a team out there gave him a first-round promise. Considering that Ingliis and Livio Jean-Charles are both from French Guiana, there's a connection to be made between these two players. And it doesn't take a tremendous leap of logic to think that if the Spurs were willing to give a promise to Jean-Charles last year, they could very well do the same with Ingliis.

raybies
06-25-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm Sorry that I have to list two.

Bogdan Bogdanovic if he's there and Nikola Jokic if he isn't.

mudyez
06-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Inglis

DJR210
06-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Dario Saric. Just signed a deal with Turkish team, Anudolo Efes. Can develop there and potentially come over in 2 years.

MI21
06-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Someone I have never heard of.

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 12:02 AM
Bogdan Bogdanovic. If PHX or LAC don't draft him first.

If he's gone, then Thanasis Antetokounmpo.

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Spurs will take Bogdan still chasing there next Manu.

Ditty
06-26-2014, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get the hometown kid Jordan Clarkson, but realistically it's going to one of these in order if they are there:

1. Saric
2. Capela
3. Anderson
4. Bogdanovic
5. Inglis

elemento
06-26-2014, 12:35 AM
Micic

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Clint Capela

DrunkTXLabrat
06-26-2014, 12:42 AM
i predict Bogdanovic and somehow (Beli, Ayers, Picks, Cash, Draft rights?) also Tavares.

my reason: Manu is the most broken down big 3'er, and he's gonna play for Argentina again. Spurs need to get him an apprentice. Beli is more role player than potential Manu, anymore. Hanga got stunted. Joseph is a point. Green doesn't have the knack for assists. Bogdanovic is compared with Greivis Vasquez, Evan Fournier, and Shelvin Mack in a David Aldridge nba.com big board article. I trust in those comparisons. and they sound very "potential Manu." Add in Bogdan's chemistry with Bertans. And i think the potential for boths favorable development is simply to great to ignore.

Tavares reason: Basically replace Manu with Tim. Then Beli-Ayers, Hanga-Lorbek/Richards/nobody, Joseph-Baynes, Green-Splitter. Vasquez/Fournier/Mack-Gobert. Bertans-Livio Jean-Charles.

Thomas82
06-26-2014, 12:48 AM
Clint Capela

spurnash
06-26-2014, 01:17 AM
If Anderson or Adams fall to 30 they should take one of them. But I don't think they will fall all the way to 30. I am guessing they are targeting either Bogdan, Ingles, Jokic or more than one them.

Ingles may be most likely because of the French connection and someone appears to have promised him something, but I have seen some "doesn't always play hard" comments on Draft Express, if those views are shared by R.C., he is not the one. So for fun I will say my prediction is (this is obviously a pipe dream): Spurs take Bogdan at 30, trade Bellinelli or two future two's and Cash to 76's for the 39th pick. Spurs take Jokic at 39. At 58 they select Khem Birch and at 60 Ioannis Pappaetrou.

Good luck

Go Spurs Go

NickiRasgo
06-26-2014, 01:42 AM
K. J. McDaniels looks promising but I'm not sure if he's worth it for a first round.

ironman2886
06-26-2014, 01:50 AM
As long as it's nobody from this league.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7UhjxHmGXoI/Tm3g8oq4GvI/AAAAAAAAEho/vNItD5LNwgw/s1600/funny-basketball-pictures-2+%253D2011.jpg

xmas1997
06-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Every year, analysts from various third party websites compile Mock Drafts that make an educated guess on which players NBA front offices will draft. Every year, SpursTalkers frequent these mocks, discuss the merits of each prospect within the Spurs' target range, and make their selections for whom the Spurs ought to draft.

And every year, the Spurs end up drafting a player whose name few people have ever heard of and that no one ever really saw coming.

I've been frequenting this message board for years now, and to my knowledge, no one has ever correctly predicted whom the Spurs actually ended up drafting. Now that the draft is finally happening tomorrow, the purpose of this thread will be to determine if there's any Spurs fan out there who can successfully guess whom the Spurs will pick on draft night. This intent of this thread is not to assert whom you think the Spurs should draft (there are already plenty of other threads about this), but whom you think the Spurs will draft.

My Rationale: Ingliis was on the verge of pulling out of the draft towards the deadline, but suspiciously wavered on his decision and decided to stay on at the last minute. This strongly suggests that a team out there gave him a first-round promise. Considering that Ingliis and Livio Jean-Charles are both from French Guiana, there's a connection to be made between these two players. And it doesn't take a tremendous leap of logic to think that if the Spurs were willing to give a promise to Jean-Charles last year, they could very well do the same with Ingliis.

I can see why you made this pick and would have been my choice too, but I suspect he has a promise from OKC who pick right before the Spurs.
I think it really all depends on who drops in the draft.
So my guess is Saric. I think he will drop.

Maddog
06-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Tyrone Shoelaces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM&feature=kp

eDizzle20
06-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Bogdanovic

Jdspur20
06-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Clint Capela

Mnky
06-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Really depends on if Spurs move around and what approach the others take.. I've seen taveres going early 20's and Micic going teens.

I think Bogden would be a good pickup, and Ingliis, but he might be more of a second rounder unless other teams have been swooping around him.

Glenn Robinson III is another ooption. Would bringn good athletiscism and could develop behind kawhii and play opposite of Kawhii in the future when he does develop. His only weakness really is his 3 pt shot and creating.. which he will be able to learn just like Kawhi did. Upside, is pretty good for a 30th.

Really think we can add some quality depth/future in this draft. I hope the draft falls to us nicely. Won't be surprised to see a move either, because several teams have multiple picks.

We might move back in the 2nd and pick up another 2. Deep draft for sure.

benstanfield
06-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Jackie Moon

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-26-2014, 08:01 AM
I think they'll go serbian.

jag
06-26-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm hoping something crazy happens and James Young falls. But since that won't happen, I'm guessing Jarnell Stokes or Tavares.

Bogdanovic seems like too obvious of a pick.

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Jerami Grant is another name to watch. He's slipping down boards supposedly due to his inability to shoot the 3. Spurs could be interested.

But most likely it'll be a draft-and-stash or a trade back into the 2nd round for additional picks.

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 08:22 AM
I expect there to be a lot of trades in this draft. Expect the unexpected.

Uriel
06-26-2014, 08:49 AM
DX now has OKC picking Ingliis at #29 in their latest mock, so they could be the team that gave him a promise. Meanwhile, DX, SI, and a number of other mocks now have us taking Bogdanovic at #30. It's looking more and more likely that he will be the Spurs' pick after all, barring a trade.

BatManu20
06-26-2014, 08:57 AM
DX now has OKC picking Ingliis at #29 in their latest mock, so they could be the team that gave him a promise. Meanwhile, DX, SI, and a number of other mocks now have us taking Bogdanovic at #30. It's looking more and more likely that he will be the Spurs' pick after all, barring a trade.

I like Bagdonovic but mock drafts almost never get it right.

Uriel
06-26-2014, 09:00 AM
I like Bagdonovic but mock drafts almost never get it right.
Hence the purpose of this thread. :lol

xmas1997
06-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Because everyone seems to think that there will be a whole lot of moving around in this draft, even all the way to the #1 pick, partly due to teams positioning themselves to get Melo or James, there really is no highly probable predictions in this loaded draft, consequently one guess is as good as another.

Kawhi Leonard
06-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Clint Capela,

but I'm wondering when the Spurs will bring Adam Hanga over to the team.

blkroadrunners
06-26-2014, 09:05 AM
I'll take a stab into the dark and say they'll go American by choosing Spencer Dinwiddie.

xmas1997
06-26-2014, 09:10 AM
I'll take a stab into the dark and say they'll go American by choosing Spencer Dinwiddie.

I like this pick.

Ocotillo
06-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Not a prediction but as a fan it would be very cool to have them trade to the pick just before OKC anc cockblock them on whoever they want. Between Presti and Pritchard before him, it always seems like one of those two grab whoever us board GMs have wanted in the past. :)

Drom John
06-26-2014, 09:35 AM
#30 Nikola Jokic
#58 Ondrej Balvin
#60 Ioannis Papapetrou

TE
06-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Doesn't matter. This draft is deep but nothing the Spurs can use immediately at their draft spot.

raybies
06-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Most exciting part is we have a really good chance of getting somebody that can ball! If people follow the Spurs model, which could be likely, then the Spurs get an American baller they normally couldn't get with their picks. I think the Spurs go foreign if they can but I would love to see the Spurs end up with Kyle Anderson, K.J. Mcdaniels, Glenn Robinson III, or Cleanthony Early. I still really like DeAndre Daniels. I would love it the Spurs somehow got this guy.

keepinitwill
06-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Mitch McGary or Cleanthony Early. I would prefer Early.

xmas1997
06-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Mitch McGary or Cleanthony Early. I would prefer Early.

So would I, McGary doesn't impress me.

smaka
06-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I have Early too.

Jimcs50
06-26-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm Sorry that I have to list two.

Bogdan Bogdanovic if he's there and Nikola Jokic if he isn't.

I soooo want Bogdan, he will be perfect heir apparent to Manu

100%duncan
06-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Tavares

dbestpro
06-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Bogdanovic, Inglis or Taveras. Don't care too much for an American player with this pick.

stnick2261
06-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Trade up for Clint Capela

Baam
06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Jordan Adams and Jokic

kuato
06-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Facundo Campasso

SpurPadre
06-26-2014, 02:28 PM
As long as it's nobody from this league.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7UhjxHmGXoI/Tm3g8oq4GvI/AAAAAAAAEho/vNItD5LNwgw/s1600/funny-basketball-pictures-2+%253D2011.jpg

Those dudes are better than Ayres and Bonner, tbh.

SpurPadre
06-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Any ways, I say we get Saric. And if not him, one of Livio's brothers, Kidnio or Pancreo.

Holden_Caulfield
06-26-2014, 02:33 PM
some asian guy somewhere in asia

Mr. Body
06-26-2014, 02:35 PM
I was feeling a SF with the 1st rounder, but now Damien Inglis seems to be going to OKC. I'm not sure SAS feels any SFs at that point will be worth it.

I feel they will try hard to trade up into the early 2nd round. There are probably two or three players they'd like to get.

Saric will never be remotely close to available at the 30th pick.

Spurs may trade up into the round, where Kyle Anderson may tickle their fancies, Diaw semi-clone and all. Or Clint Capela.

Bogdanovic seems legit but something doesn't feel right about him.

Cleanthony Early and Spencer Dinwiddie are the sleepers for me. Other than Capela no big men seem too promising.

Mr. Body
06-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Seems OKC could take Dinwiddie at #21 (and then Inglis at #29). If so, fuck Presti, man.

SpurPadre
06-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Some dude at Fox Sports has us getting Dinwiddie or Glen Robinson Jr.

Mr Fundamental
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Walter Tavares

yavozerb
06-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Kyle Anderson. I know he is projected in early 20's, but if teams decide to try and save there cap room and go Euro alot in these picks then players like anderson may fall in the cracks..

jyra
06-26-2014, 03:13 PM
1st round: Bogdan Bogdanovic
2nd round: Alessandro Gentile

blkroadrunners
06-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Kyle Anderson. I know he is projected in early 20's, but if teams decide to try and save there cap room and go Euro alot in these picks then players like anderson may fall in the cracks..
:tu :tu :tu

Ron Swanson
06-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Well done.

elemento
06-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Good call ! And I really like this pick !

timtonymanu
06-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Solid work.

yavozerb
06-26-2014, 10:49 PM
thx guys..Just couldnt see his skillset wow alot of teams.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2014, 12:44 AM
And the winner is...

Well done mate!

I too wanted Anderson but figured he would go somewhere between #15-20. Spurs lucked into a perfect system guy yet again. :tu

DrunkTXLabrat
06-27-2014, 01:09 AM

tip of the hat to a nice prediction.

will_spurs
07-01-2014, 04:40 AM

Ingliis went in the 2nd round, which means either a team had promised to draft him without indicating a specific round (but then is it enough of a promise for him to change his mind and stay in the draft?); or a team had promised to draft him in the 1st round, and reneged on it.

Could it be that the situation was as you described but that the Spurs thought it too hard to pass on Kyle Anderson at the end of the 1st round, when he was supposed to be gone somewhere between 15 and 25? And then missed out on Ingliis as another team drafted him in the 2nd.

elemento
07-01-2014, 05:12 AM
Ingliis went in the 2nd round, which means either a team had promised to draft him without indicating a specific round (but then is it enough of a promise for him to change his mind and stay in the draft?); or a team had promised to draft him in the 1st round, and reneged on it.

Could it be that the situation was as you described but that the Spurs thought it too hard to pass on Kyle Anderson at the end of the 1st round, when he was supposed to be gone somewhere between 15 and 25? And then missed out on Ingliis as another team drafted him in the 2nd.

Inglis just after he was drafted :

"https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/479670023435599872/DNxQP48g_normal.jpegKing Damiéé @DamienINGLIS (https://twitter.com/DamienINGLIS) · 27 de jun (https://twitter.com/DamienINGLIS/status/482576410494914560)

Something bigger comes toward me! I gotta catch it, dreams came true.. Couldn't be happier to get picked by the team I wanted @Bucks (https://twitter.com/Bucks)

I think the Bucks made him a promise !

will_spurs
07-01-2014, 06:12 AM
I think the Bucks made him a promise !

Thanks for the info, I thought I had heard something to that effect. But seriously... being happy after having been drafted by the Bucks in the 2nd round. Wow.

SpurAddict561
07-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Let's be real, nobody has ever, in the history of the NBA, been excited about being drafted by the Bucks....

glad we got Kyle, seems like a perfect fit.