PDA

View Full Version : Parker/Manu/Kwahi/Green: Best Spurs Perimeter In Franchise History?

hitmantb
06-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Since Duncan's arrival, I always thought Spurs playoff success is directly tied to the quality of its perimeter players. Duncan was so consistent as our floor, our ceiling was completely dependent on the perimeter quality.

Avery/******/Elie gave us enough to win in 1999, but that was the weakest perimeter we had on any of the title teams. Robinson was still near prime however so it didn't matter.

In 2001 after Derek Anderson went down against the Mavs we got swept. He was the Ibaka of that team and had he played I think we would have lasted at least six games. The third best player on a team makes a huge difference.

2003 had Parker/Ginobili/Jackson/Bowen and we finally beat the Lakers. We did lose Jackson but Parker/Ginobili grew so much in the next a few years and it didn't matter.

In 2008, Bowen was just too old to guard Kobe and the next a couple of years, the Richard Jefferson experiment bombed and we weren't a factor until 2012 when we finally got Green/Kwahi. In 2012 they were still raw and intimidated by Thunder's sheer talents. In 2013 and 2014 they finally matured.

Their defense are not that far off from prime Bowen, their offense far exceed Bowen's. Green's 3 point shooting is so incredibly intimidating, Kwahi plays like LeBron when he gets going. We really need them to make up for the aging GDP core and they truly delivered in spades.

Throw in Mills I really feel this is the strongest Spurs perimeter in franchise history. Half a step opening, 3 pointer, baaannnggg!

Jimcs50
06-26-2014, 01:26 PM
I think this team is our best team, period.

Numbers don't lie.

SnakeBoy
06-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Don't ever mention the Jefferson years...the family doesn't talk about him.

wildchild
06-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Last Spurs championship in 2007 Parker/Manu/Finley/Bowen...Tony/Manu/Danny/Kawhi (even Patty, Corey and Beli) is a great improvement. Not sure if the best of the Spurs history because I don't remember much about Gervin's teammates, but sure, this perimeter is the best in Duncan era.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-26-2014, 10:44 PM
I consider not only the starters, but the overall rotation.

Too many weapons, too many players who can score close to 20 points in any playoff game, pass, make a defensive play, hit a 3, penetrate, take a charge, set a screen...

Dominating Manu, near prime Parker, prime Bowen (that D, those blocks), Brent Barry not a TOSB yet, some solid contributions from Devin Brown, Beno and Glenn Robinson.

Prime Parker, prime Manu, last run where Bruce's legs allowed him to play lockdown D. But aging Barry, Finley, the presence of Jacque Vaughn and Beno losing interest in being a basketball player make it a notch below 2005.

Jackson's famous run, Bowen defending and hitting 3's, Young Parker and Manu, solid backups in Claxton and Kerr, Steve Smith's corpse. The last time Duncan had to carry most of the offensive weight only on his shoulders.

Less talented bunch off them all, but they could play very solid D. Key plays from Johnson, Ellie and Elliott, but the team was all about the two big fellas in the posts.