PDA

View Full Version : How does Anderson fit with SA?

KL2
06-26-2014, 10:44 PM
What are some potential lineups we could see out there? This guy is an amazing passer and a great rebounder, almost averaged a triple double, 15 PPG, 9 RPG, 7 APG.

Poor defender, however you could have him at the point and abuse the opposing pg, very versatile player on offense.

Baam
06-26-2014, 10:46 PM
His future is at the 4 imo... Not sure if they're gonna start Boris but I'd be even more willing to do that now... Anderson could be his backup and then once Manu retires he'd be THE 6th man...

ducks
06-26-2014, 10:47 PM
enough threads already

ChumpDumper
06-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Play him at either forward position off the bench depending on matchups. More playmaking = less pressure to overplay Manu, though I don't know if slowmo will actually crack the rotation this season.

Salty
06-26-2014, 10:58 PM
I know just as much about him as any other STer (not very much) but realistically, our highest hopes for him should be him coming off the bench knocking down spot-up shots and helping create opportunities for everyone else. As long as he's not a complete liability on defense and can do something useful like rebound, he would be great to have out there with Patty/Danny/anyone who can shoot but not really create.

Again, it's the 30th pick, we're being optimistic, and there's still too much we don't know, but he could end up being a valuable asset for SA within the next 2-3 years.

Ginobili3
06-26-2014, 10:58 PM
He needs a Summer League under his belt and some sessions with Chip to improve his shooting. Hopefully he can then make training camp his 2nd or 3rd season, and improve his D which should go up during SL

TheGreatYacht
06-26-2014, 11:40 PM
He's out of shape, unathletic, and passes open shots. Cleanthony Early will be the steal of the draft

Phil: 1
PATFO: L

T Park
06-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Play him at either forward position off the bench depending on matchups. More playmaking = less pressure to overplay Manu, though I don't know if slowmo will actually crack the rotation this season.

Since Manu decided to play for Argentina this summer hell need practically off till February, so there will be pt available.

therealtruth
06-26-2014, 11:55 PM
What are some potential lineups we could see out there? This guy is an amazing passer and a great rebounder, almost averaged a triple double, 15 PPG, 9 RPG, 7 APG.

Poor defender, however you could have him at the point and abuse the opposing pg, very versatile player on offense.

What PG do you think a guy nicknamed "Slow Mo" could defend?

jesterbobman
06-27-2014, 12:54 AM
Primary creator on the bench, will defend wings. Allows Mills/Joseph + possibly Denmon to defend PGs and not have to be creators (not their strengths).
Will struggle to defend initially (like basically all rookies) but will rebound really well. Conditioning/athleticism is an issue, should improve over time- Fat is potential in disguise so should get better defensively as he trains better (Jordan Adams was also tubby, UCLA might just not be great at getting athletes in optimal condition) and ages. Has length to make up for lack of athleticism against most backup SFs(I'd guess this is the position he defends). Not a huge issue as we have a decent SF now and in the future to defend long wings/4s (Kawhi, Livio) and Green can cover well.

Unlikely to play a ton as a rookie. Spurs will continue to rest Manu and Mills/Beli/Slowmo will play a bit as bench perimeter trio.

Shabazz
06-27-2014, 01:56 AM
His future is at the 4 imo... Not sure if they're gonna start Boris but I'd be even more willing to do that now... Anderson could be his backup and then once Manu retires he'd be THE 6th man...

He is not a 4. His body will never support the amount of weight he would have to add to be able to guard NBA power forwards. He is either a SF or a PG, and that has been his rep since high school.

Shabazz
06-27-2014, 01:59 AM

He is going to be on the end of the bench for a couple years. But the ideal scenario would be for him to play as the PG on offense and SF on defense. For that to work, you put him on the floor with two wings who can guard the opposing PG and SG on offense. So you could have Green or Mills guarding the opposing PG, and Green or Kawai guarding the opposing SG.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2014, 06:20 AM
Whats not to like about his play-making ability from his 6'9" frame?

Unfortunately, there's not much else to love about his game. (His rebounding is his only other above average attribute)

Vital Concerns:

- His release on his jumper/set shot. Sure he's improved his 3 point shooting from last year to this past season. Unfortunately, he has one of the slowest releases I've seen from a wing that I can remember. It's vital for Anderson and the Spurs to fix this in order for him to be a successful shooter in the league. Fortunately for the Spurs and us fans, Spurs have one of the best shooting doctors in the world. Overall, I'm optimistic about this major flaw being corrected, as long as Anderson's work ethic is there. Chip will have his work cut out for him.

- His lateral quickness and foot speed. This weakness of his is worrisome. I wouldn't be so worried if he had the body, physicality, and mindset to guard power forwards, but that simply isn't the case -- he won't be able to guard power forwards in the NBA (at least in the first half of his career). And from the film I've looked at, he doesn't have the foot-speed/lateral quickness to guard wings quicker than him ( which will be just about every wing in the NBA). As of right now, there's really not a position he can guard at the NBA level. In order for him to stay on the floor, he will have to defend at a respectable level. He will need to improve his foot speed significantly to defend adequately, oppose to staying as is and resort to reaching/gambling with his arms/hands to make up for the cement blocks on his feet. Overall, this flaw will be the most difficult to overcome and I'm not optimistic-- I'll hope for the best though.

Anderson has a unique play-making ability at his size. However, his lack of athleticism hand-cuffs him in a ball and chain on both ends of the court -- especially on the defensive end.

And no he isn't Boris Diaw 2.0. Fat Boris at 32 years old is way more athletic and physical than Anderson. The only attribute that you can relate the two with is their passing ability. That's it.

If it were me, I personally would have went another route, but I'll put my trust and faith in Pop and RC.

exstatic
06-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Whats not to like about his play-making ability from his 6'9" frame?

Unfortunately, there's not much else to love about his game. (His rebounding is his only other above average attribute)

Vital Concerns:

- His release on his jumper/set shot. Sure he's improved his 3 point shooting from last year to this past season. Unfortunately, he has one of the slowest releases I've seen from a wing that I can remember. It's vital for Anderson and the Spurs to fix this in order for him to be a successful shooter in the league. Fortunately for the Spurs and us fans, Spurs have one of the best shooting doctors in the world. Overall, I'm optimistic about this major flaw being corrected, as long as Anderson's work ethic is there. Chip will have his work cut out for him.

- His lateral quickness and foot speed. This weakness of his is worrisome. I wouldn't be so worried if he had the body, physicality, and mindset to guard power forwards, but that simply isn't the case -- he won't be able to guard power forwards in the NBA (at least in the first half of his career). And from the film I've looked at, he doesn't have the foot-speed/lateral quickness to guard wings quicker than him ( which will be just about every wing in the NBA). As of right now, there's really not a position he can guard at the NBA level. In order for him to stay on the floor, he will have to defend at a respectable level. He will need to improve his foot speed significantly to defend adequately, oppose to staying as is and resort to reaching/gambling with his arms/hands to make up for the cement blocks on his feet. Overall, this flaw will be the most difficult to overcome and I'm not optimistic-- I'll hope for the best though.

Anderson has a unique play-making ability at his size. However, his lack of athleticism hand-cuffs him in a ball and chain on both ends of the court -- especially on the defensive end.

And no he isn't Boris Diaw 2.0. Fat Boris at 32 years old is way more athletic and physical than 22 year old skinny Anderson (unfortunate truth) . The only attribute that you can relate the two with is their passing ability. That's it.

If it were me, I personally would have went another route, but I'll put my trust and faith in Pop and RC.

DX disagrees...

Anderson has excellent size at 6-9 in shoes with a mammoth 7-2 ½ wingspan. Despite playing point guard for much of the season, Anderson is big enough to defend most NBA power forwards, which gives him very unique versatility the right coach can tap into.

james evans
06-27-2014, 07:03 AM
I know just as much about him as any other STer (not very much) but realistically, our highest hopes for him should be him coming off the bench knocking down spot-up shots and helping create opportunities for everyone else. As long as he's not a complete liability on defense and can do something useful like rebound, he would be great to have out there with Patty/Danny/anyone who can shoot but not really create.

Again, it's the 30th pick, we're being optimistic, and there's still too much we don't know, but he could end up being a valuable asset for SA within the next 2-3 years.
yo, PLEASE tell me that pic is photoshopped!! haha

Wildcat67
06-27-2014, 07:08 AM
I think his defensive weakness is overblown. He averaged 2.1 steals per game. That is great. I think people are confusing deliberateness with being completely nonathletic. Not to say he is a great athlete but it's not like he's some 230lb tub o'lard. His wingspan means he does have good potential defensively. He may never be a GREAT defender but I don't think he will be a swinging gate out there either.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2014, 07:15 AM
DX disagrees...

Actually DX does agree.. 9:50 mark

CFGl9ndbjZ0

exstatic
06-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Actually DX does agree.. 9:50 mark

CFGl9ndbjZ0

You realize that the guy that writes is different than the guy who puts together the videos, right? Jonathan Givoney is the writer, and can be considered to BE DraftExpress.

Raven
06-27-2014, 07:26 AM
He is not a 4. His body will never support the amount of weight he would have to add to be able to guard NBA power forwards. He is either a SF or a PG, and that has been his rep since high school.

don't know what you're talking about tbh, he has prototipical size to defend pfs. He is not a pg lol :lol

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2014, 07:27 AM
You realize that the guy that writes is different than the guy who puts together the videos, right? Jonathan Givoney is the writer, and can be considered to BE DraftExpress.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm trying to be objective, not negative. Anderson has big question marks on the defensive end -- in my opinion.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2014, 07:30 AM

But to answer your question. Yes I realize and know who Jonathan Givoney is. I follow him on twitter.

Question though, don't you think he'd look over this scouting video to edit and make it as accurate as possible before it was published? You know since he IS DraftExpress and since it represents him and his website?

exstatic
06-27-2014, 07:33 AM
You're entitled to your opinion. I'm trying to be objective, not negative. Anderson has big question marks on the defensive end -- in my opinion.

No doubt.

Defense isn't all about speed and athleticism, though. Splitter is on of the BEST paint defenders in the NBA. He doesn't block shots and can barely jump over a phone book, but he understands positioning and verticality.

Raven
06-27-2014, 07:34 AM

that's true, but his wingspan and weight should make him at least hideable on slow 3s or defensive pf, i mean how many legit teams have scorers at both sf and pf?

exstatic
06-27-2014, 07:37 AM
But to answer your question. Yes I realize and know who Jonathan Givoney is. I follow him on twitter.

Question though, don't you think he'd look over this scouting video to edit and make it as accurate as possible before it was published? You know since he IS DraftExpress and since it represents him and his website?

Nope. Mike Schmitz(sp?) is totally in charge of the videos.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-27-2014, 07:43 AM
No doubt.

Defense isn't all about speed and athleticism, though. Splitter is on of the BEST paint defenders in the NBA. He doesn't block shots and can barely jump over a phone book, but he understands positioning and verticality.

Some people don't get that High IQs is actually better to have than extreme athleticism. Guys with both are Mega Superstars like Lebron and it is a rare combination. Most NBA stars are like Duncan and Westbrooks. Duncan with an extremely high IQ, but not the most athletic guy on the court. Westbrook, average IQ, but ridiculous athleticism.

I rather have guys like Duncan than ones like Westbrook. Just look no further than the Spurs destroying the Heat with High BB IQ in this year's NBA finals.

People ask why other teams don't have a system like the Spurs, the honest truth is, its too complex for most NBA players to grasp. Look at all the lighting quick touch passes the Spurs do. 80% of the players in the league couldn't play like that.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2014, 07:43 AM
No doubt.

I understand that defense isn't all about speed and athleticism-- especially for big men who don't have to make long point A to point B rotations or keep up with the fastest guys in the league on every possession (Splitter doesn't have to defend guards).

However, I'm more concerned about lateral quickness and foot-speed more so than straight line speed/jumping ability. Those two, along with being smart ( no dumb fouls; smart rotations, disciplined close outs), are important attributes to have in order to be a decent perimeter defender. Anderson lacks both. IMO

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Attributes needed to defend adequately in the interior are different than the attributes needed to defend on the perimeter.

Not sure why people are comparing Duncan and Westbrooks defense. Both of their responsibilities are entirely different on the defensive end.

siraulo23
06-27-2014, 07:54 AM
I understand that defense isn't all about speed and athleticism-- especially for big men who don't have to make long point A to point B rotations or keep up with the fastest guys in the league on every possession (Splitter doesn't have to defend guards).

However, i'm more concerned about lateral quickness and foots-peed more so than straight line speed/jumping ability. Those two are important attributes to have in order to be a decent perimeter defender. Anderson lacks both. IMO

agreed, anderson is never gonna be a good-great defender

he'll always be poor-below average defender due to his lack of lateral quickness and it's not gonna get him consistent playing time with the spurs, thats for sure

obviously the guy is talented offensively and is a playmaker but he has be at least average defensively to stay on the floor

yavozerb
06-27-2014, 07:57 AM
In 35 minutes against Duke and occasionaly matched up against the #2 pick Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood: 15 pts (7/13), 10 rbs, 7asts, 5 stls, 6 to

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2013-12-19-duke.html

Kid is gonna fine in the NBA and well be a steal.

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
In 35 minutes against Duke and occasionaly matched up against the #2 pick Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood: 15 pts (7/13), 10 rbs, 7asts, 5 stls, 6 to

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2013-12-19-duke.html

Kid is gonna fine in the NBA and well be a steal.

I don't think anyone is questioning his offensive ability. Kid could play on that end of the floor in college. There's no denying that.

Will it efficiently translate to the NBA? Hopefully and possibly. Only time will tell. Low risk, high reward for Spurs with the 30th pick. Hopefully Spurs end up with a steal with this kid.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Attributes needed to defend adequately in the interior are different than the attributes needed to defend on the perimeter.

Not sure why people are comparing Duncan and Westbrooks defense. Both of their responsibilities are entirely different on the defensive end.

Not comparing their D, comparing their IQs. IQ goes a long way over extreme athleticism. Tell me how many defenders like Bruce or Cooper that come along that have both on the wing as a defender.

My ceiling on Anderson's Defense and Offense is Hedo. If he turns out to be the Hedo that helped lead the Magic to the Finals, this will be a steal for the Spurs.

ceperez
06-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Paydirt! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111427-why-kyle-anderson-was-the-perfect-draft-pick-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-no-30#articles/2111427-why-kyle-anderson-was-the-perfect-draft-pick-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-no-30 Spurs just drafted Magic Johnson!

Old School 44
06-27-2014, 08:39 AM
I know they play different positions, but kind of reminds me of Andre Miller, deliberate, slow but smart, effective, old school game.

8FOR!3
06-27-2014, 09:18 AM
People say Boris Diaw, but to me he fits the mold of a Hedo Turkoglu. Which is always a perfect fit in the Spurs system. I don't think he's the below average shooter he's made out to be and when the Spurs staff get a hold of him, his 3 point shot will probably get a lot better.

cjw
06-27-2014, 10:04 AM
People say Boris Diaw, but to me he fits the mold of a Hedo Turkoglu. Which is always a perfect fit in the Spurs system. I don't think he's the below average shooter he's made out to be and when the Spurs staff get a hold of him, his 3 point shot will probably get a lot better.

As long as his attitude is better (no bagging games as "injured" and hanging out at gentleman's establishments) and stays in better shape.

xmas1997
06-27-2014, 10:14 AM
All the sportscasters today are saying the biggest steal of the draft was Kyle Anderson by the Spurs.

Mr. Body
06-27-2014, 10:28 AM
This really was a steal. At #30 you shouldn't be getting a guy who could potentially lead your second unit without a hitch. Of course there's Ginobili there already, but now you have another point of attack.

I like the Diaw comparisons, but he's more of a perimeter guy than Diaw, who loves to post up. Defense obviously will be a problem needing a solution, but he's like a Jared Dudley guy who just knows where to be. Would you rather have a super-athletic guy three steps off from his mark or a super-smart guy who's already there?

He'll be a big matchup problem if he pans out. Unlike Diaw, who runs an offense through the post, Anderson runs it from up top. If he can get to guarding PFs, he'd be pulling them outside constantly.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 10:38 AM
I really think he's more of a Paul Pierce kind of player, very deliberate with what he's doing but with extremely better passing and rebounding. With him no movement is wasted, he's using angles and his length to get where he needs to go on offense and defense. He is not super quick but he has good footwork and length to play defense at an average to above average clip and will improve, his length also helps with his ability to steal the ball. His release is super high but he doesn't jump that high, kinda like Pierce, angled shooting but we're not looking for a shooter and he's competent enough to hit shots when the ball swings back to him. Chip will improve his shot, maybe improve his mechanics to speed up his shot.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Primary creator on the bench, will defend wings. Allows Mills/Joseph + possibly Denmon to defend PGs and not have to be creators (not their strengths).
Will struggle to defend initially (like basically all rookies) but will rebound really well. Conditioning/athleticism is an issue, should improve over time- Fat is potential in disguise so should get better defensively as he trains better (Jordan Adams was also tubby, UCLA might just not be great at getting athletes in optimal condition) and ages. Has length to make up for lack of athleticism against most backup SFs(I'd guess this is the position he defends). Not a huge issue as we have a decent SF now and in the future to defend long wings/4s (Kawhi, Livio) and Green can cover well.

Unlikely to play a ton as a rookie. Spurs will continue to rest Manu and Mills/Beli/Slowmo will play a bit as bench perimeter trio.

Except, you know, he can't create at the NBA level.

SpursRock20
06-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Except, you know, he can't create at the NBA level.
And you know this how? The only sample we see is from his college days, and he absolutely can there, sometimes against opposing players that were drafted much higher than him (see Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon). Let's at least see what he can do in the summer league first.

moisaenz
06-27-2014, 11:55 AM
He doesn't worst 30th pick ever. No upside.

spursfan1000
06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
I just don't see him playing too much

jARS mEsH sEt
06-27-2014, 12:06 PM
And you know this how? The only sample we see is from his college days, and he absolutely can there, sometimes against opposing players that were drafted much higher than him (see Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon). Let's at least see what he can do in the summer league first.

Dude dribbles slower than Kawhi Leonard and Kawhi can't create. What he does have is good passing instincts. I'm confident that he could perform an over-the-top high low to Duncan or Splitter. He showed that he's not afraid to make tight passes to back door cutters either, but he flat out cannot dribble and he has no post game. He's like the Danny Green of 4s.

Chinook
06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Dude dribbles slower than Kawhi Leonard and Kawhi can't create. What he does have is good passing instincts. I'm confident that he could perform an over-the-top high low to Duncan or Splitter. He showed that he's not afraid to make tight passes to back door cutters either, but he flat out cannot dribble and he has no post game. He's like the Danny Green of 4s.

What? If Green had Anderson's ball skills, he'd be a top-five two-guard, and if Kyle had Green's quickness and defensive skills, he'd have been a top-five pick.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-27-2014, 12:12 PM
What? If Green had Anderson's ball skills, he'd be a top-five two-guard, and if Kyle had Green's quickness and defensive skills, he'd have been a top-five pick.

Yeah you're highly over-estimating Anderson's ball skills. He's going to be a spot up shooter in his first year with the Spurs during garbage time and for good reason. He doesn't bring anything else to the table (yet).

jARS mEsH sEt
06-27-2014, 12:12 PM
That's assuming he can even get his shot off against NBA talent. Dude shoots slower than molasses :lmao

Chinook
06-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Yeah you're highly over-estimating Anderson's ball skills. He's going to be a spot up shooter in his first year with the Spurs during garbage time and for good reason. He doesn't bring anything else to the table (yet).

You're underestimating his skills. He's not a guard. He dribbles well for a combo-forward, and he can get better at it. He's also a fantastic rebounder. He's arguably the third-best on the team right now.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 12:27 PM
lol everyone became an Anderson expert the second he was drafted.

SpursRock20
06-27-2014, 12:38 PM
If Spurs were looking for a spot up shooter, they wouldn't have drafted Anderson. That got Kyle because he fits the system, and might be a player who can contribute about 10 minutes a night during the regular season as a Boris Diaw-lite player coming in off the bench.

littlecoyotecoin
06-27-2014, 12:38 PM
That's assuming he can even get his shot off against NBA talent. Dude shoots slower than molasses :lmao

I don't understand the relevance of pointing out his most obvious weakness that everyone is aware of. The Spurs knew he was slow. His nickname is Slowmo. That is priced into the purchase at 30. The Spurs feel that this attribute was too heavily weighted by other teams. You don't find diamonds in the rough unless they're rough.

Laughing at RC if KA doesn't pan out? Sure. But, at this point, you're premature.

SpursRock20
06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
You don't have to be lighting quick with the ball, especially at 6'9, to be qualified as a great ball handler.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 12:42 PM
If Spurs were looking for a spot up shooter, they wouldn't have drafted Anderson. That got Kyle because he fits the system, and might be a player who can contribute for about 10 minutes a night during the regular season as a Boris Diaw-lite player coming in off the bench.

Exactly, the Spurs want this kid to contribute in other ways and he will given time. He's looking to pass more than he's looking to score, and he has the length to use his ball handling to create space, step back and knock down a jumper here and there. He has that wide step back which reminds me a lot of pierce to get his shot off since he doesn't leave the ground much.

Jimcs50
06-27-2014, 12:42 PM
You don't have to be lighting quick with the ball, especially at 6'9, to be qualified as a great ball handler.

Thank you Boris. :)

travis2
06-27-2014, 01:06 PM
The Spurs have had slow-release shooters before who've performed well...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/spurs/JacksonHappy.jpg

Even in 2003, Stephen Jackson had a release you could time with an hourglass...and it never got any quicker.

ducks
06-27-2014, 01:07 PM
noris cole was a 30 pick

objective
06-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Splitter is good on defense because of his quickness. He doesn't jump high, no, but he has really good quickness for a center. It's why he's good against the pick and roll.

jhfenton
06-27-2014, 02:11 PM
You're underestimating his skills. He's not a guard. He dribbles well for a combo-forward, and he can get better at it. He's also a fantastic rebounder. He's arguably the third-best on the team right now.

Exactly. He was the starting point guard for a good UCLA squad. He's not exceptionally quick, and he has the higher dribble you have when you're 6'8.5". But he is a good ball handler for a 6'4" guard, exceptional for a combo forward.

tholdren
06-27-2014, 02:21 PM

He was a PG in high school, i believe. So his dribbling is fairly shitty for years of work

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Jesus Christ.

The Spurs didn't beat the Heat with fast dribbling, they did it with their passing. If we need a backup PF to break down a defense off the dribble to win, we're screwed anyway.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Jesus Christ.

The Spurs didn't beat the Heat with fast dribbling, they did it with their passing. If we need a backup PF to break down a defense off the dribble to win, we're screwed anyway.lol

Yeah, which backup PFs regularly score that way?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Jesus Christ.

The Spurs didn't beat the Heat with fast dribbling, they did it with their passing. If we need a backup PF to break down a defense off the dribble to win, we're screwed anyway.

That kid needs to watch this video b/c obviously he didn't watch the Spurs playoff run. Tell me how many baskets did the Spurs have without one player dribbling the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nr6rUrnc58

Drom John
06-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Off topic, but I just read the following in another forum"

seanybubbles;6210124]You could always use that chinook in an arrogant bastard clone. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236554&p=7463156#post7463156)

Chinook
06-27-2014, 03:24 PM
He was a PG in high school, i believe. So his dribbling is fairly shitty for years of work

Danny Green was a power-forward until his last year in college, but you don't judge his blocked shots against what PFs do.

Chinook
06-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Off topic, but I just read the following in another forum"

I don't get it.

DesignatedT
06-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Of course he has concerns surrounding him. That's why he fell to 30. He does a lot of things well for a player grabbed at 30 though. Excellent passer, good shooter, good rebounder, team player, good attitude, good ball handling and pg skills. The pros are simply uncharacteristic for a player taken the last pick of the first round. Sure, his overall quickness and defensive ability is a concern. The Spurs will try to develop that part of his game.

Drom John
06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't get it.

Chinook is a hop variety. In the off-topic post the issue was using Chinook in the intended Pliny the Elder clone or this suggestion to use it in an Arrogant Bastard clone. I was in that thread because I'm planning to clone Pliny in a couple of brews.

KL2
06-27-2014, 03:41 PM
This guy just seems like a diamond in the rough to me, even physically just look at his body, looks all soft, very little muscle, and it shows in his game.

Already 230+, get this guy in the gym and he could easily add 10lbs of muscle like most rookies do. He's got great length and a high release making his shot hard to block, this dude grilled defenders in college A LOT.

I think if he continues to develop he can be extremely difficult to guard, seems like the type of player that'd abuse his mismatch at will.

Just 20 years old, SA can mold him however they want.

raybies
06-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Of course he has concerns surrounding him. That's why he fell to 30. He does a lot of things well for a player grabbed at 30 though. Excellent passer, good shooter, good rebounder, team player, good attitude, good ball handling and pg skills. The pros are simply uncharacteristic for a player taken the last pick of the first round. Sure, his overall quickness and defensive ability is a concern. The Spurs will try to develop that part of his game.

I agree completely man. He's an offensive wizard. I think his length could be very valuable in the Spurs defensive schemes. If he gets beat, as long as he stays in the play, he can still bother shots.

I'm looking forward to Patty, Manu, Kyle, Boris, and whoever we find to be 5th, all playing in the second unit. If we thought the Foreign Legion could pass and create, this would theoretically be incredible.

jag
06-27-2014, 04:32 PM

One of the most underrated posters on the forum. Even if he IS an uncompromising WoW disciple.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 04:43 PM
He was a PG in high school, i believe. So his dribbling is fairly shitty for years of workYou're just flat out hating now.

jesterbobman
06-27-2014, 05:13 PM
One of the most underrated posters on the forum. Even if he IS an uncompromising WoW disciple.

Was. I saw the light a while ago, though disciple was definitely true a year or 2 ago.

elemento
06-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Quite honestly, I see him as our future 6th man.

He will replace Manu's role leading the 2nd unit.

He will have the ball on his hands to create and It's much easier to put a functional team around him if he comes off the bench. That will be his role in San Antonio IMO.

xmas1997
06-27-2014, 06:46 PM
lol everyone became an Anderson expert the second he was drafted.

:lol
Don't know about the expert part, but watching him, he brings back memories of George Gervin the Iceman, silky smooth, not very fast, and seeming to play like in slow motion yet despite that, still no one can touch him.

cd021
06-27-2014, 10:07 PM

I was thinking Hedo as well. Slow as refrigerated molasses but somehow gets what he wants

cd021
06-27-2014, 10:10 PM
I agree completely man. He's an offensive wizard. I think his length could be very valuable in the Spurs defensive schemes. If he gets beat, as long as he stays in the play, he can still bother shots.

I'm looking forward to Patty, Manu, Kyle, Boris, and whoever we find to be 5th, all playing in the second unit. If we thought the Foreign Legion could pass and create, this would theoretically be incredible.

I still think its going to be Mills-Beli-Manu-Diaw-? maybe Pop try out Anderson in that lineup. I don't see Pop going with a Mills-Beli-Manu-Anderson-Diaw lineup though because of the lack of rim protection.

SouthernFried
06-27-2014, 10:23 PM
He is going to be on the end of the bench for a couple years. But the ideal scenario would be for him to play as the PG on offense and SF on defense. For that to work, you put him on the floor with two wings who can guard the opposing PG and SG on offense. So you could have Green or Mills guarding the opposing PG, and Green or Kawai guarding the opposing SG.

This guy gets it. Kyle Anderson is a Point guard, in the vein of Magic Johnson. Who could, and did, play all 5 positions on the floor.

Can we use him as a PG? I dunno, but this is really going to be interesting to watch. :)