PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Draft Grade

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:10 PM
C-

High reward player in Anderson with low risk. Walked away with nothing in the second round.

Here's to many moves in FA

Darkwaters
06-26-2014, 11:12 PM
We should have traded up from 58 or 60 to get Jabari Parker

cjw
06-26-2014, 11:12 PM
What did you expect them to do with 58 and 60? They weren't making roster anyway

ChumpDumper
06-26-2014, 11:13 PM
and how many moves does the team have to make this offseason?

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Spurs Fan's Draft Grade F--

Oh, you knew who Emmanuel Ginobili was back in '99.

SpursBills
06-26-2014, 11:15 PM
pretty happy with the anderson pick. would've liked to trade a 2015 second rounder with some picks to see if we could move up to get micic. Hinkie absolutely killed it in the second round with Mcdaniels and Micic.

Overall B+

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Spurs won't rock the boat.

benefactor
06-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Why would they need to make many moves in FA?

In other news, your mom should have punched herself in the stomach a little bit harder while she was carrying you. It's quite unfortunate for the world that you survived.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Spurs won't rock the boat.

no, that was the thinking here too.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:19 PM
pretty happy with the anderson pick. would've liked to trade a 2015 second rounder with some picks to see if we could move up to get micic. Hinkie absolutely killed it in the second round with Mcdaniels and Micic.

Overall B+

Yep 76ers CLEARLY the best team in the draft. I would have thought bringing in a second rounder would be beneficial. The C from FL would have been interesting. Deshaun Thomas is terrible, and Im not sure what to think about Denmon

Salty
06-26-2014, 11:20 PM
C-

High reward player in Anderson with low risk. Walked away with nothing in the second round.

Didn't the Spurs like win a championship a couple weeks ago?

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:21 PM
What did you expect them to do with 58 and 60? They weren't making roster anyway
f
"you never knew (insert name) until the Spurs drafted him late 2nd round" isnt this typical Spur-homer mantra?

ChumpDumper
06-26-2014, 11:22 PM
If you were told you could get the best passer in the entire draft at 30, would you take him?

I thought so.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Didn't the Spurs like win a championship a couple weeks ago?

You must have missed the title, it was called something like draft grade... you may have seen it when you clicked on it

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:23 PM
If you were told you could get the best passer in the entire draft at 30, would you take him?

I thought so.

depends, who would I not take to get the best passer?

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Spurs should have just taken Embiid.. Damn fuck you RC..

ChumpDumper
06-26-2014, 11:25 PM
depends, who would I not take to get the best passer?We all know you wouldn't take the best passer in the draft at 30.

tholdren
That would have been impossible, we picked 30th he was gone 3rd

T Park
C-

Agreed. Terrible season. High turnover is needed.

tholdren
We all know you wouldn't take the best passer in the draft at 30.
so i guess I dont understand why you would have posed the question.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Agreed. Terrible season. High turnover is needed.
why would you say that, we won the championship?

TheGoldStandard
It was sarcasm

T Park

This fucktard doesn't understand sarcasm..

ChumpDumper
so i guess I dont understand why you would have posed the question.Of course you don't understand.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=TheGoldStandard;7462176]It was sarcasm[/QUOTE

ditto

Ginobili3
B-, I like the Anderson pick, but I think we need a backup for Kawhi

tholdren
This fucktard doesn't understand sarcasm..

IRONY

Darkwaters
06-26-2014, 11:28 PM

But we had three picks! I will settle for nothing except Wiggins, Parker and Embiid.

Biggems
06-26-2014, 11:29 PM
I love the Anderson pick. I like the McRae pick at 58. I am ok with Jefferson at 60. I do expect only Anderson to be on the roster at the start of the season.

tholdren
yeah, and I was thinking that what if neal walks, and Belli is useless again come POs? And manu getting older. I thought we would have addressed something from the wing and defense, but maybe, SARCASM ASIDE, FO will make something happen?

jhfenton
B+. I thought Anderson was the best fit at #30. I'm surprised he fell. I know absolutely nothing about Dangubic except what I've read in the last 30 minutes. The Spurs must like him and have thought something 55-57 was going to draft him.

Random5843
06-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Lol nothing

Spur|n|Austin
06-26-2014, 11:32 PM
C-

Thefuck? What moves are you talking about?

Ginobili3
yeah, and I was thinking that what if neal walks, and Belli is useless again come POs? And manu getting older. I thought we would have addressed something from the wing and defense, but maybe, SARCASM ASIDE, FO will make something happen?
It's a new Daye tbh http://i2.wp.com/probballreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Austin-Daye.jpg

Salty
You must have missed the title, it was called something like draft grade... you may have seen it when you clicked on it

So a team that just won the title needs to "make many moves in FA"?

But I see you're point, we would've been better off drafting illiterate congoid #25 with our 30th pick.

TheGoldStandard
But we had three picks! I will settle for nothing except Wiggins, Parker and Embiid.

Time to tank for whoever next season, blow it all up, fire pop and RC.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Thefuck? What moves are you talking about?
as the gentleman on the first page so eloquently stated, "the fucktard doesnt even understand sarcasm..."

Salty
06-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Why would they need to make many moves in FA?

In other news, your mom should have punched herself in the stomach a little bit harder while she was carrying you. It's quite unfortunate for the world that you survived.

Pretty much. This guy is like a walking condom advertisement.

KL2
06-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Ball movement is key to SA's success, they just added another one, keep the ball moving and everyone benefits! I expect this guy to cause A LOT of mismatch problems on offense.

Spursfanfromafar
06-26-2014, 11:37 PM
With the 30th, 58th and the 60th picks, the Spurs got the best passer in the entire draft, Kyle Anderson and a Euro prospect for Draft & Stash.

I would say, A-.

Anderson may pan out like Hedo Turkoglu and Grievis Vasquez did (tall SFs who can play PG). And thats good enough for the Spurs. Will be a good bench addition and maybe will play this season itself.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Pretty much. This guy is like a walking condom advertisement.
again... the irony...

Spur|n|Austin
06-26-2014, 11:38 PM
as the gentleman on the first page so eloquently stated, "the fucktard doesnt even understand sarcasm..."

Then use blue font, don't know you from Adam but I'm supposed to get a, weak at best attempt at sarcasm?

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Then use blue font, don't know you from Adam but I'm supposed to get a, weak at best attempt at sarcasm?

yep

lowdown
06-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Man, I'm not saying RC & Pop aren't above criticism, but man it's a been a little over a week since holding that trophy and you guys are the ones who apparently know every fucking thing. You have better odds with Blackjack than the NBA draft. There's clearly dumb moves every year by the same organizations but today's Spurs picks are more like "wait-and-see" type picks. Calm the fuck down.

703 Spurz
06-26-2014, 11:48 PM
C-

5 titles in 16 years and fans like this guy still doubt the franchise knows what it's doing. How fucking lame is that?

Spursfan092120
06-26-2014, 11:52 PM
We just won the title and still have the best team in the NBA...let's trade people, sign new fuckers who don't know our system, and bring in new people...Shut the fuck up.

tholdren
06-26-2014, 11:53 PM
5 titles in 16 years and fans like this guy still doubt the franchise knows what it's doing. How fucking lame is that?
almost as lame as a guy who gets mad over an internet post on a message board, can't understand sarcasm, gets all overworked and feels the need to vent anonymously to other almost-as-upset-as-he-is posters to feel better.

hope it worked out for you.

Troll Grade - A+

Prime Time
It all depends on how Anderson turns out. I truly feel this guy has all-star potential.

rjv

this

TheGreatYacht
06-27-2014, 12:05 AM
I love the Anderson pick. I like the McRae pick at 58. I am ok with Jefferson at 60. I do expect only Anderson to be on the roster at the start of the season.
Spurs traded the 2nd rounders for a toaster and a Euroscrub

TheyCallMePro
06-27-2014, 12:06 AM
B

I like Kyle Anderson a lot. I cheer for underdogs during March Madness so of course I was watching (13) Tulsa play (4) UCLA and then (12) SFA play (4) UCLA. And let me tell you this: I was extremely impressed with Kyle Anderson. You won't find a smoother offensive player in this draft class. He's extremely comfortable with the ball in his hands and is a great decision maker. He's a nightmare matchup because of his size and passing ability. He's not slow--he's just methodical. No doubt the Spurs took him because of his basketball IQ on the offensive end. Great pick.

Don't like Nemanja Dangubic at all. Can't shoot. Not very athletic. Not very savvy on the offensive end. This is a throw-away pick IMO. Maybe he'll 'develop' into something overseas. Big maybe though. Wish we would have taken a chance on 7'2 Jordan Bachynski.

Malik Hairston
06-27-2014, 12:17 AM
OP also spent the entire year saying he doesn't want Kawhi and Green on the team..he's a moron, tbh..

The Whopper
06-27-2014, 12:25 AM
I don't get this thread at all and I don't feel I learned anything from it.

At 30, don't you just take the best value player left on the board? You're not really drafting to fit a specific position at that point because it's a crap shoot if dude can even really make an impact at all.

Each year 60 players are drafted, but there aren't near that many job openings. And that doesn't count the undrafted free agents either.

So, all you can say tonight is the Spurs drafted a dude that maybe can be effective in their system who fell in their laps. Second round, who knows.

eDizzle20
06-27-2014, 12:48 AM
A+

The Spurs drafted a guy in Anderson that fits their system of team ball perfectly, and what Anderson lacks in athleticism he makes up for it in length. Ideally you would like him to play the PF due to his struggles on defense, but overall I am thrilled with the pick. I am excited to watch him in the Summer League.

Hoops Czar
06-27-2014, 01:11 AM

Spurs could have had Early.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 01:13 AM
Spurs could have had Early.lol welcome back

Timely.

Now you might have to keep two browser windows open.

Hoops Czar
06-27-2014, 01:18 AM
lol welcome back

Timely.

Now you might have to keep two browser windows open.

Huh?

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Huh?lol perfect

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2014, 01:43 AM
A

The team has no needs going into next season, so Anderson with pick 30 is a steal, and we've stashed another Euro with 58/60. I'm not sure how they could've done better given little to work with.

SouthernFried
06-27-2014, 01:59 AM
A

The team has no needs going into next season, so Anderson with pick 30 is a steal, and we've stashed another Euro with 58/60. I'm not sure how they could've done better given little to work with.

This.

I don't know how anyone could think we could have gotten a better guy at #30. We lucked out getting Kyle. Basically, because the other teams still haven't figured out how to play basketball without superstars. Coaches don't coach anymore, they just put guys on the floor. If you don't see this as a Fantastic move, you haven't figured it out either.

Cry Havoc
06-27-2014, 02:38 AM
tholdren continues his unabated stream of worthless takes.

:lol @ backseat fans.

:lol claiming sarcasm after the fact to save face.

This just in, sarcastic posts are cool and edgy and definitely worth an entire thread. :lmao

mingus
06-27-2014, 03:05 AM
I like Anderson's potential as a stretch four. He's gonna need to speed up his release a little and learn how to use his body against bigger guys. He'll probably have to put on at least 10-15 lbs of bulk. With the way the Spurs have drafted in the first round over the years, I expect a nice player who can maybe give us 10-15 minute a game.

mudyez
06-27-2014, 03:17 AM
Love Anderson. He has "Spur" written all over him. Should be something like the Anti-Kawhi...but not necessarily in a bad way. Where Kawhi can lock oposing wings down, he has deficiencies. Where Kawhi isn't a great ballhandler, he is the creator.

ironman2886
06-27-2014, 03:34 AM
This thread is
http://memeblender.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/genius-meme-taking-pictures.jpg

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-27-2014, 05:54 AM
I don't understand why the Spurs couldn't draft a 7 foot athletic black center who has a high basketball IQ, can defend, space the floor, and run with Ibaka with the 30th pick.

hsxvvd
06-27-2014, 06:09 AM

Lebron's a free agent.

703 Spurz
06-27-2014, 07:55 AM
almost as lame as a guy who gets mad over an internet post on a message board, can't understand sarcasm, gets all overworked and feels the need to vent anonymously to other almost-as-upset-as-he-is posters to feel better.

hope it worked out for you.

Troll Grade - A+

1. No anger here so you're wrong from the start.
2. Where is the sarcasm? What, your initial post was bullshit or was it real but you're backtracking now b/c others have reacted negatively to it so now you're trying to save face?

703 Spurz
06-27-2014, 07:58 AM

:lol @ backseat fans.

:lol claiming sarcasm after the fact to save face.

This just in, sarcastic posts are cool and edgy and definitely worth an entire thread. :lmao

I found that funny too. It'd help to have a trace of sarcasm in any of what he had said but there isn't any.

tholdren
06-27-2014, 08:15 AM
1. No anger here so you're wrong from the start.
2. Where is the sarcasm? What, your initial post was bullshit or was it real but you're backtracking now b/c others have reacted negatively to it so now you're trying to save face?

then Im concerned why you keep posting about it? Obviously you are mad, because you keep posting, over and over and over.

Im on a SPURS homer website, why would I think that saying their draft was less than average would go well on here? It was a post for takes, and as expected, you and others got so bent out of shape you keep HAVING to post about it. There is no way I can be wrong about it.

The post is simply my opinion on why I didnt like the use of the picks, and the sarcasm was that there is NOTHING that will be done, in my opinion, during FA, because typically SA doesnt make too many moves. I apologize if your anger about the pick grade let your comprehension slip. I find it amusing that you think so highly of my post that you continue reading, checking in on it, and responding to it. All you have to do is put your grade for the draft and why; just like the others who have high self-esteem.

Im in a win-win spot, if Anderson is a bust then I told you so, if he's a superstar then my team wins. We've yet to hear your impression. Although I would say it's something like, "although I never watched UCLA play this year, I checked the stat sheet, and can say out of all the other players SA could have drafted that I didnt watch, he is the best. A+ to the Spurs again..... And of course, that's fine too.

looking forward to more and multiple angry posts.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-27-2014, 08:20 AM
C-

You are the anti-spur, meaning low IQ. Getting nothing in the 2nd round. What's funny, is that according ESPN last night, Green and Mills were two of the top 4 2nd round picks of the last 5 years and the Spurs poached them off of other teams. They can and will do so again.

Manu is the only 2nd round pick of the Spurs that ever amounted to anything significant. You basing a draft grade on 2nd round picks is just laughable.

ceperez
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111427-why-kyle-anderson-was-the-perfect-draft-pick-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-no-30#articles/2111427-why-kyle-anderson-was-the-perfect-draft-pick-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-no-30

tholdren
06-27-2014, 08:30 AM
You are the anti-spur, meaning low IQ. Getting nothing in the 2nd round. What's funny, is that according ESPN last night, Green and Mills were two of the top 4 2nd round picks of the last 5 years and the Spurs poached them off of other teams. They can and will do so again.

Manu is the only 2nd round pick of the Spurs that ever amounted to anything significant. You basing a draft grade on 2nd round picks is just laughable.

I didnt base a draft grade on a 2nd round pick. I based leaving 2 draft picks on the table, thinking about what we were bringing to Summer and working out for HALF the draft grade. I give the Spurs a low B for Anderson and an F for 2nd round. I think it was a below average draft.

You're point is kind of bad though. I think the most SPUR guy out there was Aaron Craft. We didnt draft him, is that an issue for you?

Jenks
06-27-2014, 08:44 AM

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
I didnt base a draft grade on a 2nd round pick. I based leaving 2 draft picks on the table, thinking about what we were bringing to Summer and working out for HALF the draft grade. I give the Spurs a low B for Anderson and an F for 2nd round. I think it was a below average draft.

You're point is kind of bad though. I think the most SPUR guy out there was Aaron Craft. We didnt draft him, is that an issue for you?

You just proved my point. You're equating 2nd round picks,two of the last three to be exact, to be the equivalent of a 1st round pick. Guys like Mills, Manu, Gasol, Hornacek, Green, guys that are drafted after the 45th pick rarely make it in the league or have any significant contribution. The needs for the Spurs you've expressed are the reason the NBA gives teams the MLE and BAE.

Look for the Spurs to scout other teams castaways and develop into solid contributors in the near future.

HankChinaski
06-27-2014, 09:04 AM
He's young player, with excellent skill sets that provide flexibility on the floor. He needs to work with the spurs staff with his strength and conditioning and curious to see after summer league what the shooting coach goes about with making changes to his release an form.

Overall I like the pick at 30. Foreign 2nd round pick typical status quo. Overseas prospect that can be watched from afar. With the current roster and space these picks are pretty decent. Already have various talent coming into summer league an a large sum of undrafted players to take a look at for consideration for preseason.

I'm just waiting for free agency to have our 2 primary free agents returning with fair contracts hopefully and watching the rest of the league and see how borderline playoff contenders improve their roster in contrast to how the spurs can play against them as well as perrenial title contenders bringing in free agents to combat glaring holes with rosters an rotations.

littlecoyotecoin
06-27-2014, 09:05 AM
USA TODAY Sports
Overall Grade: A+

No. 30: Kyle Anderson, SF, UCLA

Bill Simmons said it best during the ESPN broadcast.

"Typical."

Was this the most San Antonio Spurs pick of all time? The defending champions gained access to one of the smartest, most skilled players in the draft. He's now going to be playing in the league's best system, potentially learning from Boris Diaw, who he's been compared to time and time again. That depends on free agency, but this pick will work no matter what.

In the interest of full disclosure, Kyle Anderson was one of my least-favorite picks in this entire draft class. For 29 teams, I'd have been hesitant to take him in the first round.

Want to guess which one is the 30th?

This pick is so good that it borders on cheating. Can the NBA veto it for basketball reasons?

Mnky
06-27-2014, 09:41 AM
USA TODAY Sports
Overall Grade: A+

No. 30: Kyle Anderson, SF, UCLA

Bill Simmons said it best during the ESPN broadcast.

"Typical."

Was this the most San Antonio Spurs pick of all time? The defending champions gained access to one of the smartest, most skilled players in the draft. He's now going to be playing in the league's best system, potentially learning from Boris Diaw, who he's been compared to time and time again. That depends on free agency, but this pick will work no matter what.

In the interest of full disclosure, Kyle Anderson was one of my least-favorite picks in this entire draft class. For 29 teams, I'd have been hesitant to take him in the first round.

Want to guess which one is the 30th?

This pick is so good that it borders on cheating. Can the NBA veto it for basketball reasons?

Seen nothing but people raving in love, or hatred about this pick. We don't need a starter, we have a Championship team. We need a plugin to help with ball control and to relieve our bigs on small ball. He fills both at the least.

Is also only 20 years old.
Working with professionals and people keeping him in the gym, he has plenty of time to grow and get better.

Cry Havoc
06-27-2014, 10:25 AM

:lmao So much for your sarcasm. rofl

mandel17
06-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Gotta give them an "A" for getting Anderson at #30. The more I read about the kid, the more shocked I was that he fell so far. Great basketball IQ, unselfish, averaged 14.6 points, 8.8 rebounds and 6.5 assists in sophomore season, killer wingspan, and he just seemed to be the type of kid who would fit well with the Spurs. I think R.C. and Pop may have pulled out another rabbit.....

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2014, 10:44 AM
At this point, why anyone would trust the Spurs front office is absolutely beyond me. Those guys clearly only know one way to win, they never adjust to the changing face of the NBA, they look for the wrong things in players, they really can't identify talent, and they whiff constantly on the players they choose to acquire (who almost never end up doing anything useful for the club).

[/blue]

Mr. Body
06-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Draft Grade: A, maybe A+

Kyle Anderson may well not pan out, but his ceiling is VERY high for a #30 pick. He has lottery talent, maybe even top 10 talent, with some deficiencies most teams aren't built to deal with. I was expecting a flyer on a decent SF prospect to back up Kawhi but instead we get a guy who could impact the second unit in many beneficial ways.

Nemanja Dagubic means little to me. He seems like a big project and I do wish we didn't use two picks for him. But they were two almost worthless picks anyway. He smells like Sanikidze to me, but the Spurs didn't spend any future assets on him, so it's a wash.

Ultimately the Spurs drafted a guy who may not just help right away, but keep some wear off Ginobili with his playmaking in the second unit, and potentially be one of the top 10 guys in the draft. Perfect situation for him and an intriguing, entertaining player.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2014, 11:01 AM
It's interesting to me that one of Anderson's best performances as a sophomore came on the third night of a back-to-back-to-back in the Pac-12 tournament in the final against a strong Arizona team with a 21-15-5 that saw him get to the line 13 times in 38 minutes.

I also think it's noteworthy that his averages didn't come from a bunch of crazy games surrounded by a bunch of bad ones.

He scored 11 or more in 30/36 games as a sophomore (and 15 or more in 18 of 36).

He had 7 or more rebounds in 28 of 36 games and had 9 or more rebounds in 21 of 36.

He had at least 5 assists in 32 of 36 games and had 7 or more assists in 17 of 36.

He had 3 turnovers or less in 22 of 36 games and was well above 2:1

He may not have the greatest collegiate numbers, but there's a pretty deep consistency in his ability to contribute in a variety of ways. He may well wash out at the NBA level; any late first rounder is an absolute crapshoot and most players picked in those spots, historically, don't put together long or productive careers. But the versatility of his game suggests ability that does not depend upon crazy athleticism and a feel for the game that could be helpful at the NBA level. Let's hope.

tholdren
06-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Draft Grade: A, maybe A+

Kyle Anderson may well not pan out, but his ceiling is VERY high for a #30 pick. He has lottery talent, maybe even top 10 talent, with some deficiencies most teams aren't built to deal with. I was expecting a flyer on a decent SF prospect to back up Kawhi but instead we get a guy who could impact the second unit in many beneficial ways.

Nemanja Dagubic means little to me. He seems like a big project and I do wish we didn't use two picks for him. But they were two almost worthless picks anyway. He smells like Sanikidze to me, but the Spurs didn't spend any future assets on him, so it's a wash.

Ultimately the Spurs drafted a guy who may not just help right away, but keep some wear off Ginobili with his playmaking in the second unit, and potentially be one of the top 10 guys in the draft. Perfect situation for him and an intriguing, entertaining player.

I think you make a good case in both examples. My question for the first, is, if he is top 10 talent (possibly) why did he fall to 30? I mean, there had to be things other teams REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, didn't like, and why wasn't that negated for this "high ceiling?" Why would you fall 15+ spots in the draft?

Two, I don't look at it like a wash. They traded 2 picks for maybe someone we will never see in the US. I dont understand why you wouldnt draft at least 2 that you work out? If you draft a big you can see if ayres/baynes is worth keeping..?

maverick1948
06-27-2014, 11:41 AM
With stats like his, I can understand why the Spurs were overjoyed to see Kyle Anderson at #30. Great passer, solid scorer, and way big rebounder for SF. At different times this season, I have seen him as high as #14 (last lottery pick) in different drafts. I can see him signing for the 2nd round money and heading off to Summer league with the desire to show what he can do. If he plays within the system, he will be on the roster in Oct and will see time early with the Spurs then back and forth between Austin and SA, much like CJ last few seasons. No he will not see starter minutes and likely only garbage time in the early going. By the trade deadline we should know if he is a keeper or not. 20 years old. Lots of time to grow into the system before he is left behind. Watching the draft, I was surprised he was available at #30.

Cry Havoc
06-27-2014, 11:43 AM
I think you make a good case in both examples. My question for the first, is, if he is top 10 talent (possibly) why did he fall to 30? I mean, there had to be things other teams REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, didn't like, and why wasn't that negated for this "high ceiling?" Why would you fall 15+ spots in the draft?

Two, I don't look at it like a wash. They traded 2 picks for maybe someone we will never see in the US. I dont understand why you wouldnt draft at least 2 that you work out? If you draft a big you can see if ayres/baynes is worth keeping..?

If the 2011 draft happened again, Kawhi would have been selected at #3 at the lowest, possibly #2 or even #1. Yet he fell into the teens. You suppose that NBA teams are fantastic evaluators of talent... they aren't. They rely far too much on stupid things like "eye tests" and "gut feelings" instead of statistically and methodically breaking the game down.

Snaq O'Meal
06-27-2014, 11:44 AM
To put things into perspective, the Spurs did draft someone who outplayed all of this year's lottery picks in the same game:

http://coachgeorgeraveling.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Photo-Apr-20-9-24-39-PM.jpg

With this year's pick, the future of this team isn't looking too shabby. :)

tesseractive
06-27-2014, 11:54 AM
It's interesting to me that one of Anderson's best performances as a sophomore came on the third night of a back-to-back-to-back in the Pac-12 tournament in the final against a strong Arizona team with a 21-15-5 that saw him get to the line 13 times in 38 minutes.

I also think it's noteworthy that his averages didn't come from a bunch of crazy games surrounded by a bunch of bad ones.

He scored 11 or more in 30/36 games as a sophomore (and 15 or more in 18 of 36).

He had 7 or more rebounds in 28 of 36 games and had 9 or more rebounds in 21 of 36.

He had at least 5 assists in 32 of 36 games and had 7 or more assists in 17 of 36.

He had 3 turnovers or less in 22 of 36 games and was well above 2:1

He may not have the greatest collegiate numbers, but there's a pretty deep consistency in his ability to contribute in a variety of ways. He may well wash out at the NBA level; any late first rounder is an absolute crapshoot and most players picked in those spots, historically, don't put together long or productive careers. But the versatility of his game suggests ability that does not depend upon crazy athleticism and a feel for the game that could be helpful at the NBA level. Let's hope.
Groundhog Day. Yep, definitely a Spur.

tesseractive
06-27-2014, 12:04 PM
He has glaring deficiencies in his game. Terrible athleticism, poor lateral quickness, slow shot release, quite a few turnovers. There are only a few teams in the league that would know how to use a point forward to great effect, so his strengths matter more to us than pretty much anyone else.

But Pop is a master of hiding deficiencies, putting players in a position to succeed, and teaching smart players to use the scheme to mask defensive weaknesses like a lack of lateral quickness. We're also the best team in the league at shot doctoring, so if anyone can speed up his release, it's us. And once he learns the offensive scheme, he'll be making easier, scripted decisions on the floor that he's practiced over and over, so his turnovers should go down.

As long as he's willing to work hard enough and he doesn't get injured, his floor for this team should be to be a solid rotation player once he acclimates.

Cherry
06-27-2014, 12:07 PM

Oh, you knew who Emmanuel Ginobili was back in '99.

"Ginobili who?":lol

tholdren
06-27-2014, 01:34 PM
He has glaring deficiencies in his game. Terrible athleticism, poor lateral quickness, slow shot release, quite a few turnovers. There are only a few teams in the league that would know how to use a point forward to great effect, so his strengths matter more to us than pretty much anyone else.

But Pop is a master of hiding deficiencies, putting players in a position to succeed, and teaching smart players to use the scheme to mask defensive weaknesses like a lack of lateral quickness. We're also the best team in the league at shot doctoring, so if anyone can speed up his release, it's us. And once he learns the offensive scheme, he'll be making easier, scripted decisions on the floor that he's practiced over and over, so his turnovers should go down.

As long as he's willing to work hard enough and he doesn't get injured, his floor for this team should be to be a solid rotation player once he acclimates.

excellent take, with that being said, would you classify this as a "steal" for us, since no one really wanted him/could utilize him?

Mnky
06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
To put things into perspective, the Spurs did draft someone who outplayed all of this year's lottery picks in the same game:

http://coachgeorgeraveling.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Photo-Apr-20-9-24-39-PM.jpg

With this year's pick, the future of this team isn't looking too shabby. :)

You speak Truff. Bright future indeed, especially if all our young talent over seas develop into at least simple role players. We will surround Kawhi going ahead.

dunkman
06-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Lamar Odom 2.0, imo. 1.0 went as high pick, helped win some 'ships.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 01:55 PM
excellent take, with that being said, would you classify this as a "steal" for us, since no one really wanted him/could utilize him?Most teams really suck. If you don't know why Anderson could excel in the Spurs system and possibly not in other sucky teams' sucky or nonexistent systems, I suggest you watch the Spurs play basketball sometime. They're quite good tbh.

ceperez
06-28-2014, 08:41 AM
You speak Truff. Bright future indeed, especially if all our young talent over seas develop into at least simple role players. We will surround Kawhi going ahead.

Thanks for that photo. Unbelievable that Spurs got a guy that scored more than Exum, Wiggins or Embid. Well, hope he recovers from that injury.

Interesting that Spurs didn't trade Livio for a higher draft pick this year.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Most teams really suck. If you don't know why Anderson could excel in the Spurs system and possibly not in other sucky teams' sucky or nonexistent systems, I suggest you watch the Spurs play basketball sometime. They're quite good tbh.
My thoughts are not that he cant fit in with the system, I worry about his attributes and think that McDaniels would have been a better fit to contribute immediately. I posted a grade on my opinion of the picks. I thought they were average. Did we fit a need? Maybe. It's an unknown. It's like you just bought a scratch off ticket and give yourself an A for purchasing the ticket without scratching it off. It could win you millions or it could leave you out. The freak outs by the "Kposters" are quite entertaining, keep it up!

xmas1997
06-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Most teams really suck. If you don't know why Anderson could excel in the Spurs system and possibly not in other sucky teams' sucky or nonexistent systems, I suggest you watch the Spurs play basketball sometime. They're quite good tbh.

It's an oxymoron to use the word "system" with any other team other than the Spurs IMHO.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 11:56 AM
My thoughts are not that he cant fit in with the system, I worry about his attributes and think that McDaniels would have been a better fit to contribute immediately. I posted a grade on my opinion of the picks. I thought they were average.So just how many times do you plan on saying the same thing?

jARS mEsH sEt
06-28-2014, 12:09 PM
"Anderson was the best fit at 30"
"I know nothing of Dangubic"
"B+"

Holy shit do you even know how grades work :lmao

If there's no better fit than Anderson then there's no room for grade improvement.

Raven
06-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Spurs could have had Early.

early is not going to be anything tbh

tim_duncan_fan
06-28-2014, 01:01 PM
It was the 30th pick. I would have taken the tree named Tavares. If he becomes a C-level center. We win just due to hight and a short league. If he sucks, we wouldn't have lost anything. Isn't Tavares pretty young?

Bartleby
06-28-2014, 02:56 PM
It was the 30th pick. I would have taken the tree named Tavares. If he becomes a C-level center. We win just due to hight and a short league. If he sucks, we wouldn't have lost anything. Isn't Tavares pretty young?

You would pass on a guy who may be able to come in and contribute during his rookie year (while the Spurs are in the running for another championship) to draft a project who is very raw and picked 13 spots later? Really?

exstatic
06-28-2014, 03:28 PM
With stats like his, I can understand why the Spurs were overjoyed to see Kyle Anderson at #30. Great passer, solid scorer, and way big rebounder for SF. At different times this season, I have seen him as high as #14 (last lottery pick) in different drafts. I can see him signing for the 2nd round money and heading off to Summer league with the desire to show what he can do. If he plays within the system, he will be on the roster in Oct and will see time early with the Spurs then back and forth between Austin and SA, much like CJ last few seasons. No he will not see starter minutes and likely only garbage time in the early going. By the trade deadline we should know if he is a keeper or not. 20 years old. Lots of time to grow into the system before he is left behind. Watching the draft, I was surprised he was available at #30.

He can't sign for "second round money". Each first round slot has a salary that is dictated by the collective bargaining agreement. You can vary between 80% and 120% of this figure. That will be his salary. He will also DEFINITELY be on the roster in October. All first round contracts are guaranteed for the first two years, plus any option years that are picked up.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 03:32 PM
The money makes no difference this summer anyway.

jesterbobman
06-28-2014, 04:34 PM
A.

A+ First. I thought Anderson was the best player on the board, so can't complain. He has some clear weaknesses, but UCLA hasn't done a great job getting guys in shape. A lot of excess fat on that team(Adams, Anderson both a bit Tubby). Not a huge fan of Dangubic, but that's with relatively limited search, and the second round isn't as important.

TVI
06-28-2014, 04:38 PM
I think the most SPUR guy out there was Aaron Craft.So Aaron will have a chance to prove you right in the summer league.

I'm still uncertain as to why you think that they could have done so much better than they did with such low first and second round picks. Simmons, and several other pro sportswriters think Anderson was the perfect pick for the Spurs at #30. McDaniels might have been interesting as a "Durant stopper" but there's a lot of questions about his game too.

Oh well, only time will tell if you'll be bumping this thread in the future.

Darius McCrary
06-28-2014, 06:02 PM
typical chumpdumper thread

tim_duncan_fan
06-28-2014, 06:16 PM
You would pass on a guy who may be able to come in and contribute during his rookie year (while the Spurs are in the running for another championship) to draft a project who is very raw and picked 13 spots later? Really?

I'll cop to not doing my homework on this one. I'd heard the name around and seen one highlight tape and thought he was a project with high potential. Didn't know he went late in the second.

exstatic
06-28-2014, 06:20 PM
I'll cop to not doing my homework on this one. I'd heard the name around and seen one highlight tape and thought he was a project with high potential. Didn't know he went late in the second.

You do as much homework as the average NBA GM. Probably why Anderson dropped.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 06:29 PM
So Aaron will have a chance to prove you right in the summer league.

I'm still uncertain as to why you think that they could have done so much better than they did with such low first and second round picks. Simmons, and several other pro sportswriters think Anderson was the perfect pick for the Spurs at #30. McDaniels might have been interesting as a "Durant stopper" but there's a lot of questions about his game too.

Oh well, only time will tell if you'll be bumping this thread in the future.

I dont want craft, my point was he has the character fit, which is a reason some people are hyping this pick. I agree wholeheartedly that there are wholes in McDaniels game. Which is harder to teach, how to be quick and explosive, or how to shoot? Which takes more work; getting better dribbling skills or being able to obtain a first step? Which takes more work, being able to prevent your man from driving to the lane or learning how to make an extra pass?

In my opinion, the skills of the game are easier to learn than training the body to do the skills at a high speed, or become explosive. Can McDaniels learn to shoot more than Anderson can learn to be athletic? I think so. My money would be on that. But I agree, IF Anderson can learn to be explosive he would be a far better pro than McDaniels. I dont think he can though.

Very interesting to see how Brown develops McDaniels. That team is loaded with athletes.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 06:33 PM
If you can teach McDaniels how to pass like Anderson you should be an NBA coach.

anakha
06-28-2014, 07:13 PM
In my opinion, the skills of the game are easier to learn than training the body to do the skills at a high speed, or become explosive.

If this were true, then what's the excuse of guys like Anthony Randolph, Michael Beasely, Stromile Swift, JR Smith, Jan Vesely, Evan Turner, Joe Alexander, Nick Young, Mouhamed Sene, James White!!!...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-28-2014, 07:24 PM
If this were true, then what's the excuse of guys like Anthony Randolph, Michael Beasely, Stromile Swift, JR Smith, Jan Vesely, Evan Turner, Joe Alexander, Nick Young, Mouhamed Sene, James White!!!...

Javale McGee!!!!

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm all for taking flyers on athletes with no real skills.

That's what the second round and training camp are for.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Spurs went that route with RJ, White, Temple, Gee, Hairston, Pops, etc. and they barely had a 50 game season. High IQ with decent athleticism over high athleticism and avg to low iq any day of the week.

anakha
06-28-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm all for taking flyers on athletes with no real skills.

That's what the second round and training camp are for.

This.

Spurs went that route with RJ, White, Temple, Gee, Hairston, Pops, etc. and they barely had a 50 game season. High IQ with decent athleticism over high athleticism and avg to low iq any day of the week.

That reminds me - whatever happened to Gist!!!?

barbacoataco
06-28-2014, 08:49 PM
B+ grade. Good draft, I've seen Anderson play several times and anytime you can get someone at 30 who was projected to go 19-20 or even higher, it can't be that bad. He definitely has ability on the offensive end, but ultimately in the NBA if you are a total liability on defense you won't get minutes.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 09:45 PM
I see what you're saying, but my point is, if you had JR Smith and Anderson at the same 30th pick, would you really select Anderson? I dont think I would, and I despise the player and the person JR smith has become, but there is a ceiling for all players. Look at Smith, he played for garbage teams, with garbage leaders... Could JR have come in, learned from manu and fit right in at that level, maybe. Will Anderson ever be able to be the game changer that Ginobili is, highly doubtful from my perspective. Additionally, what does he do for us on off nights? He may be worse than bonner...

You brought up evan turner. I think, from watching them both play in college, they are VERY SIMILAR on the offensive end. Turner was more crafty, and NEVER AN ATHLETE. He just awkwardly dribbled in missed a layup or a bunny then got his rebound... it was weird to watch him go through his career at OSU, much like Deshaun Thomas. Thomas was a totally different player in HS. At OSU he seemed to lose athleticism, he also reminds me of Anderson, with the speed of his game with the ball in his hands.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he comes out and makes Boris look bad. I'll own up, I always do. I hate Tiago's pussy game but when he does well I cheer him on.

The point is the draft grade. He's a going to need a lot of work, what you may expect from a 30 pick. The Spurs picked a guy that fits what they want to work with. Just like what many other teams would do. C is average.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Russel Westbrook, Dwight Howard, Shaq, Barkley. Every person you name that you feel has floundered because he was an athlete there is another that has terrible basketball sense. I would argue that the NBA has minority players with good IQ over not.

TVI
06-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Which is harder to teach, how to be quick and explosive, or how to shoot?It stands to reason that if you possess both physical potential and mental potential, you can improve both of those aspects of your game.

However, I'm not sure that I agree that the mental aspect is easier than the physical. Michael Jordan once famously said, “talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.”

There are lots of gifted athletes who have incredibly low basketball IQs, suffer as a result, and never learn the finer points of the game. J.R. Smith, IMHO, is a prime example of a gifted athlete with a horribly low BBIQ as are JaVale McGee, Rudy Gay, and Josh Smith, et. al.

I could argue that even Westbrook is an example of a player who survives on instinct and athleticism, but makes a lot of dumb decisions on the court, especially when the game is on the line. In Westbrook's case, his physical gifts outweigh his less than stellar BBIQ, but I think there's little doubt that if he was a more coachable player, he and the Thunder would be more successful.

Boris Diaw, OTOH, is a good example of a player who gets by more on guile, cleverness, and out thinking his opponent than athletic skill. Hell, Duncan has been getting by on BB smarts for the last 5 years.

My point in all this is that Anderson has been described by the experts as having a very high BBIQ, even at his young age of 20. I'll take a smart but average athlete over a dumb gifted one every time.

AFBlue
06-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Spurs got a draft pick that was valued in the late teens or early 20s in one of the deepest drafts in history. He's probably one of the most skilled players regardless of position in the entire draft. And, if there's a staff that can maximize his potential or minimize his weaknesses, it's the Spurs. As for the second rounder, you have to give the Spurs a pass based on history. They traded up to get him, so they have to believe he has the potential to grow and develop. Given the talent they drafted and their modest position, I don't see how people can be underwhelmed with the pick or overall draft.

AFBlue
06-29-2014, 03:18 PM
I see what you're saying, but my point is, if you had JR Smith and Anderson at the same 30th pick, would you really select Anderson? I dont think I would, and I despise the player and the person JR smith has become, but there is a ceiling for all players. Look at Smith, he played for garbage teams, with garbage leaders... Could JR have come in, learned from manu and fit right in at that level, maybe. Will Anderson ever be able to be the game changer that Ginobili is, highly doubtful from my perspective. Additionally, what does he do for us on off nights? He may be worse than bonner...

You brought up evan turner. I think, from watching them both play in college, they are VERY SIMILAR on the offensive end. Turner was more crafty, and NEVER AN ATHLETE. He just awkwardly dribbled in missed a layup or a bunny then got his rebound... it was weird to watch him go through his career at OSU, much like Deshaun Thomas. Thomas was a totally different player in HS. At OSU he seemed to lose athleticism, he also reminds me of Anderson, with the speed of his game with the ball in his hands.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he comes out and makes Boris look bad. I'll own up, I always do. I hate Tiago's pussy game but when he does well I cheer him on.

The point is the draft grade. He's a going to need a lot of work, what you may expect from a 30 pick. The Spurs picked a guy that fits what they want to work with. Just like what many other teams would do. C is average.

I have no doubt the Spurs would've picked Anderson, because they made the choice over more athletic players in this draft...guys like Early and Robinson. The point is, they selected one of the most skilled all-around players regardless of position and you don't like that he's not athletic. They picked the best available option and a hell of a good prospect. You can't be so jaded that you give them a C for being the best team in the regular season and having such a complete squad that it made no sense to trade up. They drafted a player at #30 with a value 10-15 spots higher. That's not a C no matter how you slice it.