PDA

View Full Version : 76ers: Hedge fund team

Gino-Step
06-26-2014, 11:42 PM
The 76'ers are running their team like they are value investors purchasing financial assets. There is a complete dehumanizing aspect of what they are doing. Every asset is picked up at their lowest point (injured players and stash guys) and sold at their highest point (thinking about trading Michael Carter-Williams.

What does that do to a franchise? Teams are drafting me cause I'm injured and they are happy that I am so they can get me. After I work my ass off to improve as a player, they trade me away mid-season before I get a better contract.

Is this model going to have the necessary team chemistry and positive environment to win? This is the most dramatic form of advanced stats team building I have ever seen.

Under this model, Manu Ginobili would have been traded tonight for the 16th and 19th and next year's 1st round pick. Tony Parker would be traded coming off the championship for the #4, 12 and next year's 1st round pick. Kawhi Leonard would be traded for the 1st overall and Dion Waiters.

You seriously going to win when all your players know they are just pawns?

The Spurs combine advanced stats with loyalty and chemistry. 76'ers look like they are purely doing financial assets with their hedge fund owners.

m>s
06-26-2014, 11:47 PM
They can easily stop and start holding onto guys once the right pieces start coming together

ElNono
06-26-2014, 11:47 PM
What does that do to a franchise? Teams are drafting me cause I'm injured and they are happy that I am so they can get me. After I work my ass off to improve as a player, they trade me away mid-season before I get a better contract.

Sterling been doing that for years, tbh.. until Griffin came around...

m>s
06-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Sterling been doing that for years, tbh.. until Griffin came around...
Beat you to it

ElNono
06-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Beat you to it

you sure did... sup brosep

m>s
06-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Stacking shekels nigg3r u

ElNono
06-26-2014, 11:54 PM
:lol same... best plan evar, tbh

ElNono
06-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Another plus about the OP, is that since the Sixers suck, their tickets are cheeeeeeap, which works great for me. I always drive down there and get courtside ridiculously cheap.

Hope they keep that going until the big 3 retire...

Gino-Step
06-27-2014, 12:20 AM
Nerlens Noel
Joel Embiid
Michael Carter-Williams
Darius Saric
KJ McDaniels

Top 5 pick in 2015
Top 5 pick in 2016
Top 5 pick in 2017

And.....you're still not making the playoffs.

Say you had the #2 pick for 5 years straight. That would be

Evan Turner
Derrick Williams
Michael-Kidd Gilchrist
Victor Oladipo
Jabbari Parker

Does that team make the playoffs? No.

This strategy is so silly and 1 dimensional. There is literally no thought about creating a winning chemistry or drafting players who like each other or might play well together. It is hyper take best asset available. Tank. take best asset available. Tank.

Baam
06-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Yeah it can backfire if they do it for too long

That MCW interview was pretty sad, guy was expecting to be traded...

Gino-Step
06-27-2014, 01:01 AM
Yeah it can backfire if they do it for too long

That MCW interview was pretty sad, guy was expecting to be traded...

Exactly. Why the fk would they want to mentor the other players around them, go to museums on road trips, study the playbook etc. If the team treats me like an asset, then I'm going to stat pad until I can go to another team.

mudyez
06-27-2014, 03:48 AM
They can easily stop and start holding onto guys once the right pieces start coming together

This! In todays NBA one asset just isn't enough so you got to stack several before starting to "play". (3-4 or more young assets that can grow together are just perfect...the original OKC way...not like Cleveland built around LeBron)

I don't think they purposely did it, but when the Noel situation showed up, they had to do what is now a great trade for them.
This year the same with Embiid. I'd taken him too as long as I'm not condender status. Only fishy thing is Saric but if you play it that way, might as well go all in (and fans still can be exited for Noel this year). They also din't trade MCW in the end, so what?

If I'd be a 76ers fan, I'd fully support it (for now).

MarCowMar
06-27-2014, 09:05 AM
They need to remove the incentive to tank for #1, and replace it with an incentive for long term planning. Lottery wheel or similar:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/5/20/5735850/the-nba-draft-lottery-wheel-a-proposal-to-solve-the-leagues-draft-zarren-fixed-solution

The challenge is convincing perpetual lottery welfare queens like the Cavs to accept it.

Silver may understand this. He already managed to get rid of Sterling...

The Batman
06-27-2014, 09:07 AM
It's a business. Sam Hinkie worked under Morey, that's why he operates the way he does.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2014, 09:20 AM
It's a business. Sam Hinkie worked under Morey, that's why he operates the way he does.

if these clowns want to operate their team like a business, then i recommend the nba to start look at ways rewarding teams that put a good product on the court...

The Batman
06-27-2014, 09:28 AM
if these clowns want to operate their team like a business, then i recommend the nba to start look at ways rewarding teams that put a good product on the court...

This makes absolutely zero sense.

Seventyniner
06-27-2014, 09:42 AM
This makes absolutely zero sense.

It makes perfect sense. It's how Donald Sterling always operated. If you can rake in profits (via TV deals and perhaps revenue sharing) without caring about ticket sales or actually winning games, why bother trying to field a competitive team?

Contrast this to teams like the mid 2000s Knicks and Blazers who were continual tax payers (though it wasn't nearly as punitive then) and never really made noise. Many owners would think it isn't worth spending all that money when it's possible to completely flame out.

Clipper Nation
06-27-2014, 10:37 AM
They need to remove the incentive to tank for #1, and replace it with an incentive for long term planning. Lottery wheel or similar:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/5/20/5735850/the-nba-draft-lottery-wheel-a-proposal-to-solve-the-leagues-draft-zarren-fixed-solution

The challenge is convincing perpetual lottery welfare queens like the Cavs to accept it.

Silver may understand this. He already managed to get rid of Sterling...
The lottery wheel is a terrible idea and would kill multiple franchises, tbh....

Thread
06-27-2014, 10:39 AM
The lottery wheel is a terrible idea and would kill multiple franchises, tbh....

Good morning, zipperhead.

tee, hee.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2014, 10:43 AM
stacking up on talent makes no sense if ur not going to develop the players,

those players dont wanan stick around a losing team when fully develop, money will persuade them to stay, but still there comes a point if ur in the lottery for multiple consecutive years those draft picks must equate to something

MCW is wasting his talent there...dude deserves better...

gaKNOW!blee
06-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Nerlens Noel
Joel Embiid
Michael Carter-Williams
Darius Saric
KJ McDaniels

Top 5 pick in 2015
Top 5 pick in 2016
Top 5 pick in 2017

And.....you're still not making the playoffs.

Say you had the #2 pick for 5 years straight. That would be

Evan Turner
Derrick Williams
Michael-Kidd Gilchrist
Victor Oladipo
Jabbari Parker

Does that team make the playoffs? No.

This strategy is so silly and 1 dimensional. There is literally no thought about creating a winning chemistry or drafting players who like each other or might play well together. It is hyper take best asset available. Tank. take best asset available. Tank.

lol yeah that team wouldn't make the playoffs because those players aren't very good outside of Oladipo and Parker IMO. If they get guys like Westbrook, Durant, Harden etc then yeah it's a playoff team and a pretty damn good one.

gaKNOW!blee
06-27-2014, 11:01 AM
stacking up on talent makes no sense if ur not going to develop the players,

those players dont wanan stick around a losing team when fully develop, money will persuade them to stay, but still there comes a point if ur in the lottery for multiple consecutive years those draft picks must equate to something

MCW is wasting his talent there...dude deserves better...

Who says they aren't going to develop the players? Because they traded average at best players like Holiday and Turner. They realized these aren't players that can lead you to a championship so instead of being mediocre for 5 years they blew it up.

They had a chance to take Exum or Smart and trade MCW but they didn't. And don't say oh poor Carter-Williams...Philly pretty much handed him a ROY trophy when they said hey go do whatever you want out there. He shot 40%, don't make him out to be Chris Paul quite yet.

spurraider21
06-27-2014, 11:35 AM
i actually dont mind what philly has been doing. whats their ceiling if they pushed all in 1-2 years ago with FA signings? not very high, and they'd be in an inflexible spot. instead they keep things fluid, maintain flexibility until they actually have a core that works. evan turner was the #2 overall pick and he was a failure. thats going to set any franchise back tbh. i'm not sure they even wanted to trade MCW, coulda been a smokescreen since they held 2 lottery picks. i think MCW and Exum would have been a fascinating backcourt, but I guess they believe Noel and Embiid can work on the offensive end

sook
06-27-2014, 11:37 AM

ding ding.

DMC
06-27-2014, 02:18 PM
No one wants to play in Philly. They have to have guys with no choice just to fill out a roster.

Kidd K
06-27-2014, 10:51 PM
The 76'ers are running their team like they are value investors purchasing financial assets. There is a complete dehumanizing aspect of what they are doing. Every asset is picked up at their lowest point (injured players and stash guys) and sold at their highest point (thinking about trading Michael Carter-Williams.

Is this model going to have the necessary team chemistry and positive environment to win? This is the most dramatic form of advanced stats team building I have ever seen.

Under this model, Manu Ginobili would have been traded tonight for the 16th and 19th and next year's 1st round pick. Tony Parker would be traded coming off the championship for the #4, 12 and next year's 1st round pick. Kawhi Leonard would be traded for the 1st overall and Dion Waiters.

You seriously going to win when all your players know they are just pawns?

The Spurs combine advanced stats with loyalty and chemistry. 76'ers look like they are purely doing financial assets with their hedge fund owners.

Chicago Cubs since new ownership have been doing it for years and making bank while losing 100+ every year. No intentions of actually winning since more money can be made by spreading the propaganda of "next year" and "the future" while tanking for picks and trading dudes every time they're about to get paid.

Gino-Step
07-01-2016, 05:27 AM
called it.