PDA

View Full Version : Where was Kyle Anderson EXPECTED to be picked?

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Post pre-draft Anderson predictions in this thread.

CBS Sports mock draft ... their three analysts predicted Kyle Anderson to go:

Parish: 16th
Harper: 14th
Moore: 19th

ESPN's 5-man front office panel expected Anderson to be picked 24th.

Fox Sports Ohio had Anderson going at 18.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11057878/andrew-wiggins-dante-exum-top-mock-nba-front-office-draft-espn-magazine

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/nba-mock-draft-version-2-0-060314

Johnny RIngo
06-27-2014, 12:18 AM
Why'd he drop so much? Terrible workouts?

-21-
06-27-2014, 12:19 AM
I thought he'd go 22-25 tbh.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 12:20 AM

Everyone wants athletic freaks, high volume shooters, tons of upside. They don't look for niche players with IQ.

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-27-2014, 12:25 AM
He has nice length and was widely called the best passer in the draft. But nickname "SloMo" due to lack of athleticism, and there just aren't many -- scratch that ... ANY teams who value passing, court vision, etc as much as the Spurs.

He's got work plenty of work to do, but he seems like a good fit here.

baseline bum
06-27-2014, 12:48 AM
I was expecting 25-30.

Spursfanfromafar
06-27-2014, 12:51 AM
Most intelligent, best passer, completely unique.. and perhaps least athletic...

BanditHiro
06-27-2014, 01:01 AM
Everyone wants athletic freaks, high volume shooters, tons of upside. They don't look for niche players with IQ.

so basically the Spurs are playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers?

Chinook
06-27-2014, 01:01 AM
He didn't drop. That's what I was saying earlier. The media just guessed wrong. The lottery teams were never going to take him, and they were always going to take Payton.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 01:05 AM
so basically the Spurs are playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers?

Precisely

The Whopper
06-27-2014, 01:05 AM

No. The Spurs are playing chess while most of the league has yet again superglued their nutsacks to their thighs during craft class.

BatManu20
06-27-2014, 01:10 AM
The guy dropped 25 pts, 15 rbs, and 5 asts against arguably the best defender in the draft, Aaron Gordon. He took over that game against a really good Arizona team.

He's slow but if you watched any UCLA games this season, (I watched quite a few living in LA) he was by far their best player. When he was off the floor they struggled. He controls the tempo of the game. I think with time and development, he'll be a steal for us. Watch.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 01:10 AM
The guy dropped 25 pts, 15 rbs, and 5 asts against arguably the best defender in the draft, Aaron Gordon. He took over that game against a really good Arizona team.

He's slow but if you watched any UCLA games this season, (I watched quite a few living in LA) he was by far their best player. When he was off the floor they struggled. He controls the tempo of the game. I think with time and development, he'll be a steal for us. Watch.

He's a fatter slower Paul Pierce with a passing game.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-27-2014, 01:40 AM
All the mocks said 15-20, I figured early 20s. Glad he slipped to us as he'll fit our system beautifully and probably take the Diaw slot in 2-3 years.

Ice009
06-27-2014, 01:43 AM
I wanted players with defensive potential. Not sure I like hearing about how slow he is and also about him severely lacking athleticism.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 01:47 AM
I wanted players with defensive potential. Not sure I like hearing about how slow he is and also about him severely lacking athleticism.

He's not a prototype 3, more like a small ball 4 but his length and footwork will keep him in front of people or at least allow him to recover to defend well.

Shabazz
06-27-2014, 01:49 AM

This was the most loaded draft in the last decade

playbonner15
06-27-2014, 02:09 AM
For an SF, I hope he can keep up with the faster SFs in the league. He dropped because he looks like he's moving in mud which is a negative considering the current teams are upping the pace

dbestpro
06-27-2014, 06:23 AM
The d league is filled with athletic guys who can get up an down the floor, but can't shoot, can't dribble, and can't pass. This is still the game of basketball. If it was all about athleticism then Beasley would be a top free agent. Anderson has a high BB IQ, which shows in his across the board stats. Being fast has never been the precursor to being successful in the NBA, but being good at the game of basketball has. Simply put, the was he best player available.

ceperez
06-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Good read: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111427-why-kyle-anderson-was-the-perfect-draft-pick-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-no-30#articles/2111427-why-kyle-anderson-was-the-perfect-draft-pick-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-no-30

Anderson destroyed Gordon (pick #4) this year.

It's a good pick because Anderson looks like a player that won't get lost in Spurs offense.

maverick1948
06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
The d league is filled with athletic guys who can get up an down the floor, but can't shoot, can't dribble, and can't pass. This is still the game of basketball. If it was all about athleticism then Beasley would be a top free agent. Anderson has a high BB IQ, which shows in his across the board stats. Being fast has never been the precursor to being successful in the NBA, but being good at the game of basketball has. Simply put, the was he best player available.

If speed were the only determining factor, Tim Duncan would have been gone a long time ago. Timmy knows when to run the court.

I think a 7'2 wingspan will help him in the Spurs team defensive help system.

littlecoyotecoin
06-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Yes.

mandel17
06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
The only reason I can think of is that owners and GMs would rather have a guy with Blake Griffin-like athleticism - as opposed to someone who can make a great pass (a la Boris Diaw's behind the back pass to Splitter in the Finals). Maybe it has to do with putting more butts in the seats.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2014, 05:59 PM

He also had a great game against Duke. The athletic guy on UCLA who went like 15 in the draft didn't.

Not sure where people think the Spurs need a shut-down defender at the small-forward position, unless they're anticipating something happening to Kawhi.

wildbill2u
06-27-2014, 07:08 PM
bleacher report has him as one of the 'steals' in the draft.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111225-the-biggest-steals-from-the-2014-nba-draft?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nba

xmas1997
06-27-2014, 07:27 PM
ESPN has him as the steal of the draft too.

elemento
06-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Most mocks had him in the top 20. He had lottery talent. Put his brain in Wiggins body and you have Lebron James 2.0

What hurts him the most other than the non-athletic thing is his lack of position. It's basically a guy with the mindset of a PG, the size of a PF and the body of a skinny SF. Most GMs knew that he would need the right place/coach to succeed. San Antonio is absolutely the best possible place for him.

He will be playing the Manu role (taking care of the 2nd unit as a 6th man) in a few years.

xmas1997
06-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Most mocks had him in the top 20. He had lottery talent. Put his brain in Wiggins body and you have Lebron James 2.0

What hurts him the most other than the non-athletic thing is his lack of position. It's basically a guy with the mindset of a PG, the size of a PF and the body of a skinny SF. Most GMs knew that he would need the right place/coach to succeed. San Antonio is absolutely the best possible place for him.

He will be playing the Manu role (taking care of the 2nd unit as a 6th man) in a few years.

Excellent post.
IMHO I would not be surprised if he broke into the starting lineup as soon as this year.

baseline bum
06-27-2014, 07:43 PM
He also had a great game against Duke. The athletic guy on UCLA who went like 15 in the draft didn't.

Not sure where people think the Spurs need a shut-down defender at the small-forward position, unless they're anticipating something happening to Kawhi.

I don't like LaVine at all at #13. At #30 I would have loved him though.

KL2
06-27-2014, 07:57 PM
He's a fatter slower Paul Pierce with a passing game.

I like like the fact that he's soft, and he's already 6'9 230+ (With fantastic length). Get this guy in the weight room and he can easily be 240+, bigger, faster, and stronger, it'll instantly improve his game.

I really feel like SA can mold him into a VERY good player, from his game to his body, he seems pretty raw despite his skills, SA can bring out his full potential.

Twisted_Dawg
06-27-2014, 08:46 PM

KA POY

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-28-2014, 05:36 PM
KA POY

"The d league is filled with athletic guys who can get up an down the floor, but can't shoot, can't dribble, and can't pass. This is still the game of basketball. If it was all about athleticism then Beasley would be a top free agent. Anderson has a high BB IQ, which shows in his across the board stats. Being fast has never been the precursor to being successful in the NBA, but being good at the game of basketball has. Simply put, the was he best player available."

That's certainly the way the Spurs see it. He has a number of values that SA values highly.

There are flaws with his shot, and then there's the fact that his release is just too slow. If he's with the Spurs, he'll be getting to know Chip quite well, I'd imagine. And Boris should be an obvious mentor.

HI-FI
06-28-2014, 07:13 PM
i more or less like the pick. seems like a very Spurs type move.

well said.