PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Spurs Summer League Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 01:51 AM
Thought I would get an early jump on Summer League discussions with this thread. First game is July 11 but in the meantime we can discuss who we'd like to see and the potential of the invites. I won't have NBAtv this time around to view but I'll end up purchasing the web cast version so I can catch all the goods.

BanditHiro
06-27-2014, 02:50 AM
I want to see how Kyle Anderson and Kawhi play together.

Chinook
06-27-2014, 03:11 AM
We've got Anderson, Thomas and Denmon as confirmed players. Supposedly, Jean-Charles and Bertans aren't coming. I imagine Hanga and Dangubic are staying over as well. Richards will probably be there. I hope to see Daye go to work on his game.

Besides that, we'll see some Euros and lower-tier Americans on the team. For the team's sake, I hope RC gets some guards and bigs, preferably some with upside and not just wastes of time like some recent players.

slick'81
06-27-2014, 04:01 AM
Richards that's the dude I forgot about

Emperor
06-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Had real high hopes for Richards acouple years ago. Dude had plenty of potential.

TheyCallMePro
06-27-2014, 04:33 AM
So pumped up for the summer league this year. Anderson, Denmon, Thomas, Bertans, Daye...going to be epic.

kobyz
06-27-2014, 05:28 AM
Ian Mahinmi will be there?

Emperor
06-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Ian Mahinmi will be there?

Yup, along with Robertas Javtokas.

Interrohater
06-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Had real high hopes for Richards acouple years ago. Dude had plenty of potential.

As did I. It seems, from articles and whatnot, that he doesn't have a very high work ethic and too high an opinion of his self. I think it was last year's summer league that he played very lazy, as if he was already guaranteed a spot. No hustle, no energy. He would only move with any quickness when he had the ball in his hands.

MeloHype
06-27-2014, 08:37 AM
We play Wiggins on July 15th

eDizzle20
06-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Thought I would get an early jump on Summer League discussions with this thread. First game is July 11 but in the meantime we can discuss who we'd like to see and the potential of the invites. I won't have NBAtv this time around to view but I'll end up purchasing the web cast version so I can catch all the goods.

You shouldn't have to purchase anything if you download the Summer League app through the Google Play Store or Apple Store.

SpursFan86
06-27-2014, 09:26 AM
What do y'all think about Birch or Patric Young?

raybies
06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Some notable undrafted free agents per bleacher report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111102-nba-undrafted-free-agents-2014-tracking-top-prospects-and-signings):

Bryce Cotton
PG
Providence

James Michael McAdoo
PF
North Carolina

Sim Bhullar
C
New Mexico State

Roscoe Smith
PF
UNLV

Jordan Bachynski
C
Arizona State

Khem Birch
PF
UNLV

C.J. Fair
SF/PF
Syracuse

Aaron Craft
PG
Ohio State

LaQuinton Ross
SF
Ohio State

Melvin Ejim
SF
Iowa State

Sean Kilpatrick
SG
Cincinnati

Jahii Carson
PG
Arizona State

Jakarr Sampson
SF
St. John's

Scottie Wilbekin
PG
Florida

DeAndre Kane
PG/SG
Iowa State

Patric Young
C
Florida

I would love to get a look at Patrick Young during Summer League.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 10:27 AM
We've got Anderson, Thomas and Denmon as confirmed players. Supposedly, Jean-Charles and Bertans aren't coming. I imagine Hanga and Dangubic are staying over as well. Richards will probably be there. I hope to see Daye go to work on his game.

Besides that, we'll see some Euros and lower-tier Americans on the team. For the team's sake, I hope RC gets some guards and bigs, preferably some with upside and not just wastes of time like some recent players.

Anderson will be nice to watch and Thomas, get to see what he's learned from playing overseas. Maybe his footwork got better because he wasn't getting faster. Daye better show up, one of those things where they tell him if he wants to stay on the roster he needs to put in work. Too bad about Bertans though, Hanga will never come over.

I agree though, there better be some players with upside to fill out the roster, we need tape on some of these guys who don't get a lot of minutes.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 10:28 AM

I don't think he's really improved that much from when he was first drafted. His shot has improved but he's still a dud for his size.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Some notable undrafted free agents per bleacher report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111102-nba-undrafted-free-agents-2014-tracking-top-prospects-and-signings):

Bryce Cotton
PG
Providence

James Michael McAdoo
PF
North Carolina

Sim Bhullar
C
New Mexico State

Roscoe Smith
PF
UNLV

Jordan Bachynski
C
Arizona State

Khem Birch
PF
UNLV

C.J. Fair
SF/PF
Syracuse

Aaron Craft
PG
Ohio State

LaQuinton Ross
SF
Ohio State

Melvin Ejim
SF
Iowa State

Sean Kilpatrick
SG
Cincinnati

Jahii Carson
PG
Arizona State

Jakarr Sampson
SF
St. John's

Scottie Wilbekin
PG
Florida

DeAndre Kane
PG/SG
Iowa State

Patric Young
C
Florida

Add McAdoo and Bachynski to that list. I'd love for either one to get an invite.

DesignatedT
06-27-2014, 12:17 PM
When will Summer League rosters be released?

Patric Young would be a solid addition to the team.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 12:34 PM
When will Summer League rosters be released?

Patric Young would be a solid addition to the team.

Tuesday or Wednesday of next week for sure, 1st game is July 11 so they have 2 weeks to prepare.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Birch, Bhullar, Kane, Ejim, Wilbekin.

New Toros starting lineup.

Darius Bieber
06-27-2014, 01:45 PM
I would love to see Melvin Ejim on the summer league team... Big 12 Player of the Year, dropped 48 points in a Big 12 game. Got some potential.

Mel_13
06-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Bryce Cotton
PG
Providence

James Michael McAdoo
PF
North Carolina

Sim Bhullar
C
New Mexico State

Roscoe Smith
PF
UNLV

Jordan Bachynski
C
Arizona State

Khem Birch
PF
UNLV

C.J. Fair
SF/PF
Syracuse

Aaron Craft
PG
Ohio State

LaQuinton Ross
SF
Ohio State

Melvin Ejim
SF
Iowa State

Sean Kilpatrick
SG
Cincinnati

Jahii Carson
PG
Arizona State

Jakarr Sampson
SF
St. John's

Scottie Wilbekin
PG
Florida

DeAndre Kane
PG/SG
Iowa State

Patric Young
C
Florida

New Mexico State's massive center Sim Bhullar will sign with the Kings, per agent Mike George.

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt

Vic Petro
06-27-2014, 01:57 PM

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 02:02 PM
482585777423908864Personally, it feels nice to be 20% right about something that has no meaning whatsoever.

He's old but put in the work.

Spurs Brazil
06-27-2014, 03:27 PM
“@AlexKennedyNBA: Melvin Ejim will play for the San Antonio Spurs and Philadelphia 76ers' summer league teams."

TheyCallMePro
06-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Disappointed Aaron Craft won't be playing for the Spurs in summer league. Would love to see who hustles harder, Mills or Craft.

raybies
06-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Disappointed Aaron Craft won't be playing for the Spurs in summer league. Would love to see who hustles harder, Mills or Craft.

Amazing how one shot can change a career.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Summer league is great. I remember the Spurs were against the Bobcats and Udoka or whoever the coach was had some d-league player sag way off of Kidd-Gilchrist and they shut him down. Pretty funny to watch.

DatBoyGood
06-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Spurs are playing in the Vegas summer league right? Not Orlando?

TheyCallMePro
06-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Spurs are playing in the Vegas summer league right? Not Orlando?

Yeah they always play in Vegas. Which I like better because there are more teams, it's longer, and it has a tournament format where your team can play more games if they keep advancing. Orlando Summer League has none of that. Stupid Eastern conference.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-27-2014, 04:51 PM
I would love to get a look at Patrick Young during Summer League.[/QUOTE]X2

spurraider21
06-27-2014, 05:11 PM

Jean Charles is nowhere near NBA ready and Hanga himself has already said he wants to stay in Europe for at least another year or two, so I don't really care if they don't come for summer league. It would just be fun eye candy for fans.. but I'm going to be disappointed if Bertans doesn't make it out.

ace3g
06-27-2014, 05:56 PM
David Pick @IAmDPick
(https://twitter.com/IAmDPick)The San Antonio Spurs invite former second-round draftee SF Darington Hobson for workout. Recently played in the Israeli minors.

Chinook
06-27-2014, 06:03 PM
The hell is with all the wings?

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 06:07 PM
The hell is with all the wings?Just roster filler. Darlington is a D-League bench player.

raybies
06-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Patrick Young... Haven't seen any word on him anywhere so.. some insider information lol

Vic Petro
06-27-2014, 07:33 PM

elemento
06-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Very excited to watch the SL this season :hungry:

xmas1997
06-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Very excited to watch the SL this season :hungry:

Me too for once.
I really like this kid Anderson, he could be something special.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Jean Charles is nowhere near NBA ready and Hanga himself has already said he wants to stay in Europe for at least another year or two, so I don't really care if they don't come for summer league. It would just be fun eye candy for fans.. but I'm going to be disappointed if Bertans doesn't make it out.

I doubt Hanga comes over at all or the Spurs are interested in him at this point. Guy has dropped off and isn't confident enough in his development to want to see where he stands in the NBA.

Vic Petro
06-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Probably the wrong thread for this but

DrunkTXLabrat
06-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Patrick Young... Haven't seen any word on him anywhere so.. some inder information lol

bummer

DJR210
06-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I want to see how Kyle Anderson and Kawhi play together.

I doubt you'll see that in the summer league. No way Leonard plays in this year's tournament.

jhfenton
06-27-2014, 08:47 PM
I doubt you'll see that in the summer league. No way Leonard plays in this year's tournament.

I agree. Kawhi has USA Basketball camp and then the FIBA World Cup if he makes the team. And at this point Kawhi has nothing to prove or learn in the summer league, even as a ball handler.

tholdren
06-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Anderson will be nice to watch and Thomas, get to see what he's learned from playing overseas. Maybe his footwork got better because he wasn't getting faster. Daye better show up, one of those things where they tell him if he wants to stay on the roster he needs to put in work. Too bad about Bertans though, Hanga will never come over.

I agree though, there better be some players with upside to fill out the roster, we need tape on some of these guys who don't get a lot of minutes.
Dthomas = waste o lyfe

Twisted_Dawg
06-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Yup, along with Robertas Javtokas.

What a player he might have been had he not had that motorcycle accident. Dude was athletic as hell, built like a body builder and could hoop.

Aztecfan03
06-27-2014, 10:20 PM
I agree. Kawhi has USA Basketball camp and then the FIBA World Cup if he makes the team. And at this point Kawhi has nothing to prove or learn in the summer league, even as a ball handler.

And he is supposed to be working out with some guy who also worked with Jordan, wade, etc.

DesignatedT
06-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Lol are y'all seriously putting summer league and kawhi in the same sentence right now. Lmao

TheDarkSide.
06-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Really like that we are giving Bryce Cotton a look, watched a lot of providence games and he just doesn't quit. couple him with Ejim and this Should be a fun summer league!

Darkwaters
06-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Lol are y'all seriously putting summer league and kawhi in the same sentence right now. Lmao

I heard that Ginobili is planning on playing for his national team AND the Spurs' Summer League squad!

FireMicoHalili
06-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Don't think Spurs sign a wing from the SL team. Way too loaded with Ginobili, Green, Leonard, and Beli as is. Hopefully some big men show up.

T Park
06-27-2014, 11:49 PM
The spurs need big men? Wen Diaw comes back they have 6 solid to good to great bigmen...

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Spurs are set at guard and 4/5 well more 5 than 4. What they need is a lanky backup wing. Aminu please

ElNono
06-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Any word if 'Squeaky' Johnson is going to be there?

Chinook
06-28-2014, 12:24 AM
The spurs need big men? Wen Diaw comes back they have 6 solid to good to great bigmen...

Assuming everyone returns, the Spurs roster is set at every position with Anderson on board. Their summer-league team's roster, however, is lacking. That's something to note, since a log-jam at the wing means Anderson and whichever addtional wing prospects the Spurs bring over will be fighting for minutes while the Dexter Pittmans of the world will get all they can eat.

TheGoldStandard
06-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Assuming everyone returns, the Spurs roster is set at every position with Anderson on board. Their summer-league team's roster, however, is lacking. That's something to note, since a log-jam at the wing means Anderson and whichever addtional wing prospects the Spurs bring over will be fighting for minutes while the Dexter Pittmans of the world will get all they can eat.

LOL, while the majority of this will be true I don't think Anderson will get a shortage of minutes. He'll get his run and unless he truly looks like a turd or someone just wow's them they'll focus on what he can do.

ace3g
06-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
(https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA)Jahii Carson will play for the Houston Rockets' summer league team, according to a source.

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
(https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA)Jordan Bachynski will play for the Charlotte Hornets' summer league team.

TampaDude
06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Patrick Young... Haven't seen any word on him anywhere so.. some insider information lol

He might be playing with Unibrow? Interesting.

Patric deserves a shot in the NBA. He's more than ready.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Amazing how one shot can change a career.
aaron craft has no business in the nba.

Mel_13
06-28-2014, 09:37 AM

:lol

BatManu20
06-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Ejim is a good pickup for the SL team. Surprised he didn't get drafted. Reminds me of a more athletic PJ Tucker. I think he sticks in the league somewhere after a couple of years refining his game, ala Tucker.

I like the addition of Bryce Cotton too. Reminds me somewhat of a younger Patty Mills.

ace3g
06-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Jesus Gomez @JejeGomez_PtR
(https://twitter.com/JejeGomez_PtR)Viktor Gaddefors, a 6'8" Swedish wing who played for Virtus Bologna last season, will play for the Spurs in Summer League, reports Sportando

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/124745/viktor-gaddefors-will-play-for-spurs-in-vegas-summer-league.html

Uriel
06-28-2014, 09:04 PM

Why aren't Jean-Charles, Bertans, Hanga, and Dangubic coming?

Uriel
06-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Also, Cory Joseph should be given a chance to run the show and prove he can be the full-time backup PG in the event Patty Mills walks. This would be like George Hill blowing everyone away with his development in his sophomore stint in the Summer League.

ElNono
06-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Why aren't Jean-Charles, Bertans, Hanga, and Dangubic coming?

IIRC, Jean-Charles and Bertrans are under contract in Europe.

ElNono
06-28-2014, 09:09 PM
I think this Summer League will be basically an audition for Kawhi's backup spot. I would expect it to be Anderson's position to lose, since he's getting guaranteed money, but I think they Spurs want to see what's out there.

jyra
06-29-2014, 07:47 AM
http://secretrival.blogspot.de/2014/06/2014-summer-league-rosters.html?spref=tw

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Kyle Anderson - UCLA, 30th pick in 2014
Marcus Denmon - Tofas (Turkey), 59th pick in 2012
Melvin Ejim - Iowa State
Viktor Gaddefors - Virtus Bologna (Italy)
Darington Hobson - Hapoel Migdal Haemek (Israel 2nd)
Damion James
DaJuan Summers - Budivelnik (Ukraine)
Deshaun Thomas - Nanterre (France), 58th pick in 2013

Yep, lots of Small Forwards on there already.

boutons_deux
06-29-2014, 08:33 AM
why would Spurs send FMVP to summer league? really? WTF?

To see if the FMVP is good enough to keep on the Spurs?

CGD
06-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Jesus Gomez @JejeGomez_PtR
(https://twitter.com/JejeGomez_PtR)Viktor Gaddefors, a 6'8" Swedish wing who played for Virtus Bologna last season, will play for the Spurs in Summer League, reports Sportando

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/124745/viktor-gaddefors-will-play-for-spurs-in-vegas-summer-league.html

This kid looks interesting:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Viktor-Gaddefors-6354/

CGD
06-29-2014, 09:03 AM
I think this Summer League will be basically an audition for Kawhi's backup spot. I would expect it to be Anderson's position to lose, since he's getting guaranteed money, but I think they Spurs want to see what's out there.

Agree. Anderson doesn't look like he would be able to keep up with some of the quicker SFs on D right now, so good to have another option if possible. Same applies for Daye.

If both Daye and Anderson stick with the spurs, they'll each be PFs: one Bonner 2.0 and the other Diaw 2.0.

playbonner15
06-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Wow Damion James is still on the roster?? People should remind him the Spurs won the championship so he could get a photo op

kobyz
06-29-2014, 09:41 AM
And the search for the next Gary Neal is starting...

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Kyle Anderson (http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/likely-scenarios-for-spurs-draft-picks-anderson-dangubic.html) (Spurs’ 2014 First Round draft pick), Marcus Denmon, Deshaun Thomas, Melvin Ejim, Darington Hobson (http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/spurs-adding-two-to-summer-league-squad.html), Bryce Cotton, and Durand Scott.

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Quite concerned with the Spurs drafting Dangubic. If they traded two picks to get the guy, either they're impressed with him or they're stacking wings in case Bertans and Jean-Charles never fully recover from injuries.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2014, 03:30 PM
I think they just took a flyer on Dangubic because he grew three inches this past year.

HankChinaski
06-29-2014, 05:04 PM
The 58th and 60th picks for a pick in the mid to late 40s. They took a flyer on a project international player because he needs time to develop and the only position of need they would invite to summer league and preseason since they didn't see anything of obvious interest at those picks.

Late 2nd rounders aren't the surprise hits of the early 2000s. Where no one drafted foreign.

kobyz
06-29-2014, 05:28 PM
I think they just took a flyer on Dangubic because he grew three inches this past year.

But he needs to do somthing with those arms, they too short!

jARS mEsH sEt
06-29-2014, 05:44 PM
why would Spurs send FMVP to summer league? really? WTF?

To see if the FMVP is good enough to keep on the Spurs?

What the fuck are you talking about

exstatic
06-29-2014, 05:55 PM
What the fuck are you talking about

Someone mentioned wanting to see KL and KA play together in SL, not realizing how ridiculous that would be.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 06:01 PM
There is often debate about who is a better player 1-10. Valuing guys 51-60 is the Wild Wild West, it seems. Some talent goes undrafted. Why would you give up a chance at your best guess at 58 and 60 for a guy only at 54 unless you really think he's got considerably more upside than the rest of the field. Especially when you are one of the best guessers, more capable at 58 and 60 than others. You might be wrong, but I am thinking you have to believe that to make that trade. You have to be excited about him. As excited as you can be for a 54th pick, anyway. Just by the numbers, it looks like a bad trade. But, from the guys that brought you Manu Ginobili at 57, you have to be optimistic that they saw something well worth giving up the extra pick. Personally, I think it will be a successful pick if he just doesn't blow his ACL within the next 6 months like all their other recent picks. But, I did scratch my head a little.

BackHome
06-29-2014, 06:17 PM
This team is stacked all they need is a decent center and I don't think they will loose one game this summer.

Could I get a college fan take on Hobson.

Mel_13
06-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Nobel Boungou-Colo, 26-year-old of France who's drawn NBA interest, will join Spurs summer league team in Las Vegas, source tells RealGM.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nobel-Boungou-Colo-39286/stats/

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 06:37 PM
But he needs to do somthing with those arms, they too short!

Like carry around water jugs all day? Leave it to ST to take a 2 inch below average wingspan and turn it into some sort of deformity.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-29-2014, 06:38 PM
There is often debate about who is a better player 1-10. Valuing guys 51-60 is the Wild Wild West, it seems. Some talent goes undrafted. Why would you give up a chance at your best guess at 58 and 60 for a guy only at 54 unless you really think he's got considerably more upside than the rest of the field. Especially when you are one of the best guessers, more capable at 58 and 60 than others. You might be wrong, but I am thinking you have to believe that to make that trade. You have to be excited about him. As excited as you can be for a 54th pick, anyway. Just by the numbers, it looks like a bad trade. But, from the guys that brought you Manu Ginobili at 57, you have to be optimistic that they saw something well worth giving up the extra pick. Personally, I think it will be a successful pick if he just doesn't blow his ACL within the next 6 months like all their other recent picks. But, I did scratch my head a little.

I like this.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2014, 07:02 PM
But he needs to do somthing with those arms, they too short!He's a late second rounder.

ace3g
06-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Nobel Boungou-Colo, 26-year-old of France who's drawn NBA interest, will join Spurs summer league team in Las Vegas, source tells RealGM.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nobel-Boungou-Colo-39286/stats/

http://www.lepopulaire.fr/photoSRC/bqViVeldaWelbKxCPNWs_pusXXdNGltxXD4uu1iw_sR0IkLcaz bGupnwlQUaVQo_pWI48f0HY_sxYvETMFwM2diAkJo-_/nobeltp_1206471.jpeg

ElNono
06-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Quite concerned with the Spurs drafting Dangubic. If they traded two picks to get the guy, either they're impressed with him or they're stacking wings in case Bertans and Jean-Charles never fully recover from injuries.

Nah, I think the idea there is to have a player stashed they don't have to pay next season and that can develop somewhere else, while they retain rights. Spurs will have to pay Anderson, and the rest of the money should really go towards making sure we can get Diaw/Patty back.

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Nah, I think the idea there is to have a player stashed they don't have to pay next season and that can develop somewhere else, while they retain rights. Spurs will have to pay Anderson, and the rest of the money should really go towards making sure we can get Diaw/Patty back.
That's true, though there were two picks and some considerable international talent left on the board. PATFO could have easily picked two stash players. Slightly odd for them to trade up if all they wanted was to draft someone they'd keep off the books next season. Second rounders' salaries don't count against the cap hold iirc.

Vic Petro
06-29-2014, 08:18 PM
DleagueDigest.com has learned that Vander Blue will play for the San Antonio Spurs at NBA Summer League according to a source.

http://dleaguedigest.com/2014/06/29/source-vander-blue-to-play-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-nba-summer-league/

TheyCallMePro
06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm curious about Anderson's contract situation if he doesn't make the roster. Does that mean he still gets slotted like all first round picks and receives approximately 900K this upcoming year, even if he's playing for the Toros?

RC Buford did say on the night we drafted Anderson that he expects him to be on the regular roster this year. I think he'll make it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 'The best' player on the Spurs summer league roster or struggles a bit in training camp. I really hope the spurs give him a chance either way.

tholdren
06-29-2014, 08:50 PM
http://www.lepopulaire.fr/photoSRC/bqViVeldaWelbKxCPNWs_pusXXdNGltxXD4uu1iw_sR0IkLcaz bGupnwlQUaVQo_pWI48f0HY_sxYvETMFwM2diAkJo-_/nobeltp_1206471.jpeg

meh

exstatic
06-29-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm curious about Anderson's contract situation if he doesn't make the roster. Does that mean he still gets slotted like all first round picks and receives approximately 900K this upcoming year, even if he's playing for the Toros?

RC Buford did say on the night we drafted Anderson that he expects him to be on the regular roster this year. I think he'll make it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 'The best' player on the Spurs summer league roster or struggles a bit in training camp. I really hope the spurs give him a chance either way.

He will sign a guaranteed first round NBA contract and be on the 15 man NBA roster. He makes the money whether he's playing games in Austin or SA. He will get every opportunity to succeed here, as long as he puts in the work.

xmas1997
06-29-2014, 09:39 PM
The more I read about this kid, the less I worry that he won't make the roster and make a significant contribution to the team this year.
I am beginning to feel like this kid will be something special.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2014, 09:49 PM
The guy was definitely a top-20 talent in the draft, maybe should've been picked in the top 15. It's definitely amazing that he dropped to 30. I would have no problem with him spending the majority of the year in Austin, but to me he's like a 10-15 minute guy playing Toros games when the Spurs have days off.

DesignatedT
06-29-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm assuming if the Spurs pick up Daye's option that they will request he play summer league as well....?

objective
06-29-2014, 10:13 PM
http://dleaguedigest.com/2014/06/29/source-vander-blue-to-play-for-san-antonio-spurs-at-nba-summer-league/

I always liked him, nice defender iirc. Long shot to make it obviously.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 01:31 PM
http://secretrival.blogspot.de/2014/06/2014-summer-league-rosters.html?spref=tw

Yep, lots of Small Forwards on there already.

Insert Will Ferrell Joke Here

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/report-vander-blue-to-play-for-spurs-in-nba-summer-league.html

/you're my boy

Mel_13
07-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Every Summer League roster on one page:

http://hoopshype.com/summer_leagues.htm

elemento
07-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Some interesting names. Bertans brother in Boston, The French Messiah in the Lakers squad and our beloved Roger Mason Jr (former steal of the FA according to him :lol) in Indiana.

Darkwaters
07-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Money Mase is playing summer league? How the proud have fallen.

xmas1997
07-01-2014, 11:24 AM
I think we are going to see Slomo dominate the summer league!
He looks that good.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-01-2014, 12:13 PM
the spurs roster seems to have an Eddy Curry sized hole to fill.

TheGoldStandard
07-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Absolutely no centers on the summer league roster

FlAVaK
07-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Maybe Baynes will play, if re-signed...

Edit: "-" added :bang

ace3g
07-05-2014, 10:33 AM
First day of Summer league on NBATV

TXstbobcat
07-05-2014, 10:40 AM

thank you!!!!

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 10:50 AM
First day of Summer league on NBATV

Dairis Bertāns sighting!

He definitely looks a lot older than his younger brother.

benefactor
07-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Stein with the Summer League reminder...

100%duncan
07-05-2014, 12:07 PM
"Seemed to have rebounded OK" :lol

ace3g
07-05-2014, 01:11 PM
NBA on ESPN @ESPNNBA
(https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA)RT @Sixers (https://twitter.com/Sixers/): Official: Pierre Jackson has an injured right achilles

happened during summer league, didn't look good

TheGoldStandard
07-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Orlando Summer League is always more unbareable but it's still basketball

cd98
07-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Stein with the Summer League reminder...

I was actually sitting third row at that game. Oater tag performance has been overrated. Duncan looked even as zoster tag had a good game. Duncan still dunked on him and looked like he would be a future star.

cd98
07-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Damn autocorrect.

cd98
07-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Duncan and Ostertag were about even, both with good games. Once the real season started, Duncan would continually destroy Ostertag. So I guess that's where they say don't overrate summer league. But it's urban legend that Duncan got schooled.

Ice009
07-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Didn't Tim play a lot of that game left handed? I thought I read that Pop asked him to use his left hand and work on his skills with his left hand that game?

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Didn't Tim play a lot of that game left handed? I thought I read that Pop asked him to use his left hand and work on his skills with his left hand that game?

I heard the same thing. In fact, I was about to post as much.

Splits
07-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Shabazz Napier just went 3/15 from the field including 2/9 from 3 with 8 turnovers :lol Heat

elemento
07-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Shabazz Napier just went 3/15 from the field including 2/9 from 3 with 8 turnovers :lol Heat

He also looked terrible defensively. Dude can't defend a chair.

elemento
07-06-2014, 05:17 AM
NBA on ESPN @ESPNNBA
(https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA)RT @Sixers (https://twitter.com/Sixers/): Official: Pierre Jackson has an injured right achilles

happened during summer league, didn't look good

Poor guy. Finally got a chance after the Pelicans traded him to the 76ers and this happens.

Chinook
07-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Hey, at least we know Riley will develop him...

:lmao

spursparker9
07-06-2014, 06:09 AM

Yeah there was an article on that also.

Biernutz
07-06-2014, 06:39 AM
Their is a mobile app the stream the games for $15. I'm sure some of our games will
be on NBA TV on a delay like last year......

cd98
07-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Consistent with what one would expect from Heat PG.

anakha
07-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Consistent with what one would expect from Heat PG.

Lebron REALLY wanted another PG to yell at.

pjjrfan
07-06-2014, 12:40 PM
That's the story, and I think Pop brought it up after their 99 championship it was on a ESPN magazine article where Pop also mentioned that Tim scared the shit out of him when he pretended to be in trouble on an ocean swim.

ace3g
07-06-2014, 08:07 PM
First 2 games we get on NBATV

Friday, July 11
Game 5 Sacramento vs San Antonio* 9:00 PM

Sunday, July 13 COX Pavillion

Game 15 Cleveland vs San Antonio* 3:00 PM

Monday, July 14
Game 26 San Antonio vs New Orleans 5:30 PM

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2014, 11:46 AM

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2014, 11:47 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsCTn9iCMAA7Xa0.jpg:large

SpursFan86
07-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Wow...Ayres playing in the summer league? Kinda surprising, no?

Anyways, between Anderson/Ayres/Daye/Cotton/Denmon/Thomas/Ejim, this should be a very interesting summer league.

Prime Time
07-08-2014, 11:48 AM
:lmao at the thought of Daye/Thomas in the same lineup.

Nice to see Richards back, I suppose.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Interesting.... veterans like Daye and Ayres are also on the roster.

Mal
07-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Pendershit in summer league as 4 year vet. :lmao

Ice009
07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Wow. Surprised that Ayres and Daye are playing. Spurs roster is loaded.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Ir Ryan Richards had an ounce of pride, he'd start working hard before he breaks the record for career summer league appearances.

objective
07-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Ayres just making it harder to watch.

jyra
07-08-2014, 12:03 PM
I wonder if the Spurs will allow Kyle Anderson to run the offense for some stretches as the primary ball handler. Outside of Cotton there doesn't seem to be another "real" PG on that roster.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Ryan Richards ahahahahaha

Jwash_1986
07-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Since we drafted Richards I've always liked his game. He hasn't been able to put it together for whatever reasons. But I hope Spurs winning the ship will have some type of hidden motivation for him to want to work hard and be apart of the team this go round or at least end up in Austin. If he plays to his potential he reminds me of a poor man version of Amare Stoudemire.

moisaenz
07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Ayres might be one foot out, thats why he needs to prove he deserves to stay.

ColinB
07-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Jeff Ayres is the worst player on that roster.

loveforthegame
07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Quite a few vets are playing on various teams.

Surprised by Ayers but maybe the Spurs are having him work on something? Same with Daye. It's nice to see him working the Spurs program and taking this chance seriously.

Baam
07-08-2014, 12:26 PM
It's stupid as hell to play Ayres in SL, he'll only be taking minutes/touches away from legit prospects... We more than know what we have already with him... Pop played him so many minutes in the regular season...

Prime Time
07-08-2014, 12:29 PM
It's stupid as hell to play Ayres in SL, he'll only be taking minutes/touches away from legit prospects... We more than know what we have already with him... Pop played him so many minutes in the regular season...
He's most likely going to play C. The only other two centers are Ryan Richards and Xavi Rey. Both are far from legit.

jARS mEsH sEt
07-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Wow...Ayres playing in the summer league? Kinda surprising, no?

Anyways, between Anderson/Ayres/Daye/Cotton/Denmon/Thomas/Ejim, this should be a very interesting summer league.

Why is that surprising? Ayres hasn't proven that he can be a competent NBA player yet.

SpursFan86
07-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Why is that surprising? Ayres hasn't proven that he can be a competent NBA player yet.

Because he's already been in the league for 4 seasons? It has nothing to do with me thinking Ayres doesn't need to be playing in the SL or anything. It's just legitimately surprising to see a 4-year veteran play in the summer league. Most of the older guys in SL are typically foreign or D-League players it seems.

BatManu20
07-08-2014, 12:37 PM

FromWayDowntown
07-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Seems likely to me that the Spurs have asked Ayres to work on some specific thing and think that having competitive games to play in will either give him greater opportunity to work on it or reveal that he's just not capable of doing what they ask. He played more than 1000 minutes for the Spurs in 2013-14 in competitive games, so it's not likely that they're using SL to do some sort of basic evaluation.

It's fascinating to me that he agreed to play -- would seem that he really wants to be a part of the organization.

ColinB
07-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Probably trying to teach Ayres how to catch a ball. Should have just designated him to the San Antonio Missions.

DesignatedT
07-08-2014, 12:42 PM
If Jeff struggles in SL then he could be out the door.

Emperor
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Ryan Richards got more lives than a cat. Should feel like the luckiest guy on that roster.

Prime Time
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Is it just me, or does Anderson appear a bit more slim?

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Buncha Silky Johnsons up in here.

monkeypunk
07-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Seems likely to me that the Spurs have asked Ayres to work on some specific thing and think that having competitive games to play in will either give him greater opportunity to work on it or reveal that he's just not capable of doing what they ask. He played more than 1000 minutes for the Spurs in 2013-14 in competitive games, so it's not likely that they're using SL to do some sort of basic evaluation.

It's fascinating to me that he agreed to play -- would seem that he really wants to be a part of the organization.

I bet they asked him to revive his jumpshot which was passable before he came to us and withered on the court here. My guess is he shoots the mid range like crazy in SL.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Daye vs. Ayres for a roster spot?

Prime Time
07-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Daye vs. Ayres for a roster spot?
Here's to hoping they both lose.

kobyz
07-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Looking forward to watch Jeff "the next David Robinson" Ayres!

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Looking forward to watch Jeff "the next David Robinson" Ayres!Who in the world ever called him that?

Link or kill yourself.

Vic Petro
07-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Buncha Silky Johnsons up in here.

And a couple of Buc Nastys for sure

xmas1997
07-08-2014, 01:03 PM
What???????????
"the next David Robinson"?????????????
:lmao

ceperez
07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I bet they asked him to revive his jumpshot which was passable before he came to us and withered on the court here. My guess is he shoots the mid range like crazy in SL.

Yeah... what happened to his jump shot? They all look like line drives. He takes too long to get the shot off. He barely jumps when he shoots. It is just really bad..... unless Chip reconstructed his shot.... we shall see.

There's just too much talent in this team to share the ball.

If you got either Cotton or Anderson playing point, half the shots are going to go to them.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 01:09 PM
If Ayres is playing, then why isn't Baynes playing?

Baynes and Daye both played for the Toros last year, so I'm not surprised to see Daye here. But where is Baynes?

Anonymous Cowherd
07-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Baynes and Daye both played for the Toros last year, so I'm not surprised to see Daye here. But where is Baynes?

He's with the Boomers for the FIBA World Cup

DesignatedT

Pretty sure he's playing for the National Team this Summer.

Vic Petro
And a free agent.

objective
07-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Given the modified d-league rules, is the summer league the first step in Richards playing for the toros, or just him auditioning for whatever garbage leagues there are that he could earn modest but easy money from?

Because he obviously can't make the 15 man squad barring something strange happening, but maybe d-league chump change is more alluring than a year in khazakstan or Oman or similar places as he gets older.

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Will they be broadcasting for free anywhere outside of NBAtv?

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Given the modified d-league rules, is the summer league the first step in Richards playing for the toros, or just him auditioning for whatever garbage leagues there are that he could earn modest but easy money from?

Because he obviously can't make the 15 man squad barring something strange happening, but maybe d-league chump change is more alluring than a year in khazakstan or Oman or similar places as he gets older.Yeah, it's almost now or never for Richards to start the road to the NBA. Sucks for him he is a year off from a potential Spurs reboot, but if he is any good in Austin he'll be picked up by someone.

Chinook
07-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Very excited to see this summer league. I've pretty much given up on Richards, but he needs to go ahead and get big minutes. I hope Ayres is there to work on his shot primarily, and Daye for his PF skills. Anderson is the new kid, so that's nice. Thomas is hell-bent on getting into the league next year, so we'll see how he looks.

Denmon vs Cotton is the match-up to watch for, provided the Spurs don't take out all the intrigue by signing a Bazemore before Friday.

What are people's guesses for starting lineups?

xmas1997
07-08-2014, 01:57 PM
I hope someone on here will be watching and can give us updates.
I am really intrigued with SloMo.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
He's with the Boomers for the FIBA World Cup

My bad... completely forgot about the FIBA tournament!

DesignatedT
07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
I could see them bringing Anderson off the bench so he can play with the ball in his hands a little more and go with a PG - Cotton SG - Denmon - SF - Daye - PF - Thomas - C - Ayres lineup to start.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Very excited to see this summer league. I've pretty much given up on Richards, but he needs to go ahead and get big minutes. I hope Ayres is there to work on his shot primarily, and Daye for his PF skills. Anderson is the new kid, so that's nice. Thomas is hell-bent on getting into the league next year, so we'll see how he looks.

Denmon vs Cotton is the match-up to watch for, provided the Spurs don't take out all the intrigue by signing a Bazemore before Friday.

What are people's guesses for starting lineups?

Well I do expect the Spurs players to play at the same time, so we should see at least Ayres, Daye, Anderson or Cotton to be on the court at the same time.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 02:09 PM
I could see them bringing Anderson off the bench so he can play with the ball in his hands a little more and go with a PG - Cotton SG - Denmon - SF - Daye - PF - Thomas - C - Ayres lineup to start.Thomas needs to show some perimeter skills if he's going to make the Spurs.

I see Anderson's playing as much as possible to determine his NBA position, so I think he starts with the other guaranteed Spurs.

Denmon has done OK overseas, but Morris actually had a decent stint in Philly last year and has fair PG skills and size. My guess is minutes for the non-guaranteed prospects are going to vary wildly as each will get a focus in at least one game.

rjv
07-08-2014, 02:14 PM
i'm surprised ryan richards is coming back. he may wind up being a life time summer league player for the spurs.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 02:16 PM
i'm surprised ryan richards is coming back. he may wind up being a life time summer league player for the spurs.He can always force the Spurs' hand by taking the tender offer this season. That way the Spurs have to keep him or waive him out of camp.

kobyz
07-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Who in the world ever called him that?

Link or kill yourself.

That is what RC saw in him when he waste the MLE on him and on pussynelli last summer, what a stupid off season he had last time, he need to fix it this off season...

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 02:31 PM
That is what RC saw in him when he waste the MLE on him and on pussynelli last summer, what a stupid off season he had last time, he need to fix it this off season...link

or

kill

your

self

absoloot66
07-08-2014, 03:35 PM
That is what RC saw in him when he waste the MLE on him and on pussynelli last summer, what a stupid off season he had last time, he need to fix it this off season...

Result: NBA Championship! If it ain't broke, don't fix it...:rollin

ceperez
07-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Belinelli and Ayers were actually a plan B after Korver decided to sign elsewhere. I think Korver would have definitely performed better than Belinelli in the play offs.

raybies
07-08-2014, 04:16 PM
I could see them bringing Anderson off the bench so he can play with the ball in his hands a little more and go with a PG - Cotton SG - Denmon - SF - Daye - PF - Thomas - C - Ayres lineup to start.

Spot-on. It's unlike the Spurs to give rookies opportunities before players of longer tenure. This would also let Kyle "get over himself'' somewhat.

It also depends on what the Spurs would like to see from him first. Maybe they start him immediately to see how he defends 3s or 4s, and how he projects on offense. But the Spurs are known for putting players in their strong-suits, so, I do expect Kyle to run some point.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Spot-on. It's unlike the Spurs to give rookies opportunities before players of longer tenure. This would also let Kyle "get over himself'' somewhat.

It also depends on what the Spurs would like to see from him first. Maybe they start him immediately to see how he defends 3s or 4s, and how he projects on offense. But the Spurs are known for putting players in their strong-suits, so, I do expect Kyle to run some point.

The only real purpose of Summer league is to find diamonds in the rough... like Gary Neal or even Dejuan Blair. All these other un-signed players are there to interest scouts from all over the world.

I am not certain why Daye and Ayers are in the roster at all. I don't know, maybe for Spurs players, playing at Summer league is a choice they make on their own, just to keep in shape.

objective
07-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah, it's almost now or never for Richards to start the road to the NBA. Sucks for him he is a year off from a potential Spurs reboot, but if he is any good in Austin he'll be picked up by someone.

So he could be called up by a different team despite the spurs having his rights under the new rules?

No more limbo like Pierre Jackson?

Chinook
07-08-2014, 04:39 PM
The only real purpose of Summer league is to find diamonds in the rough... like Gary Neal or even Dejuan Blair. All these other un-signed players are there to interest scouts from all over the world.

I am not certain why Daye and Ayers are in the roster at all. I don't know, maybe for Spurs players, playing at Summer league is a choice they make on their own, just to keep in shape.

That's not true at all. The summer league is also an opportunity for players to work on parts of their games as well. That's why Kawhi was there a couple of years ago. That's why Joseph was there the past two years.

jARS mEsH sEt
07-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Because he's already been in the league for 4 seasons? It has nothing to do with me thinking Ayres doesn't need to be playing in the SL or anything. It's just legitimately surprising to see a 4-year veteran play in the summer league. Most of the older guys in SL are typically foreign or D-League players it seems.

Well sure it's unusual at first glance if you just frame it like that (4 year veteran in the SL) but it shouldn't be unusual to anyone who watched him play this year. He's unarguably in the bottom 10 percent of NBA players, so he needs every opportunity he can get to prove he belongs in the league 2, 3, 4 years down he road, even as a 13th man/5th big bench warmer.

xmas1997
07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
The Heat need a big man. :lol

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 05:12 PM
So he could be called up by a different team despite the spurs having his rights under the new rules?

No more limbo like Pierre Jackson?
Jackson was never signed or waived by his team. In the scenario I laid out, Richards would've been signed and waived then allocated by the Toros but a free agent for nba purposes.

If Richards just wants to play for the Toros without going through the spurs training camp, his rights would still belong to the spurs.

objective
07-08-2014, 05:32 PM
But the only way he's assigned to the toros automatically is if he's at camp and cut? If he does a Pierre Jackson, he's subject to the d-league draft?

DJR210
07-08-2014, 05:34 PM
So has McGary replaced Adams as the savior to take Methlahoma to the promised land?

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 05:35 PM
But the only way he's assigned to the toros automatically is if he's at camp and cut? If he does a Pierre Jackson, he's subject to the d-league draft?
I think that's the rule that was changed.

Chinook
07-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Watching the Heat/Pistons game. Damion James looks so damned awful.

TMJ had a nice dunk. I don't think he's got a chance to make the roster, though.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 06:07 PM
That's not true at all. The summer league is also an opportunity for players to work on parts of their games as well. That's why Kawhi was there a couple of years ago. That's why Joseph was there the past two years.

In both Kawhi and Joseph were rookies or 2nd year players. Ayres and Daye have been in the league for 4 and 5 years.

Chinook
07-08-2014, 06:48 PM
In both Kawhi and Joseph were rookies or 2nd year players. Ayres and Daye have been in the league for 4 and 5 years.

They came in the same draft.

DPG21920
07-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Noel is so in the way on offense. I get he's not polished and recovering from injury and playing in a strange setting, but he has no idea where to go on offense right now. He will block shots though.

barakz21
07-08-2014, 07:36 PM
By the way, when does the vegas SL start, and what days do the spurs play?

DPG21920
07-08-2014, 07:40 PM
First 2 games we get on NBATV

Friday, July 11
Game 5 Sacramento vs San Antonio* 9:00 PM

Sunday, July 13 COX Pavillion

Game 15 Cleveland vs San Antonio* 3:00 PM

Monday, July 14
Game 26 San Antonio vs New Orleans 5:30 PM

By the way, when does the vegas SL start, and what days do the spurs play?

ace3g
07-08-2014, 07:41 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsCTn9iCMAA7Xa0.jpg:large

KA
Daye
Denmon
Ejim
Blue
Cotton
Gaddefors
Thomas

Players I will be keeping an eye on.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2014, 07:43 PM
KA
Daye
Denmon
Ejim
Blue
Cotton
Gaddefors
Thomas

Players I will be keeping an eye on.I am keeping an eye on all of them.

Only five play at a time.

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Maybe Ayres will look decent and they can deal him to some other team that will think he's useful

tim_duncan_fan
07-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Ryan Richards?

It feels like we drafted that guy 10 years ago...

spurraider21
07-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Ryan Richards?

It feels like we drafted that guy 10 years ago...
crazy that he's still 23.

while people call him an unmotivated bum, not everybody would be willing to play in obscure countries with the hopes of one day playing to the US. Splitter and Manu were both around 26 when they joined the Spurs, so i wouldn't close the book on Richards yet. but its still disappointing, we were hoping he'd be able to contribute during the Duncan era

tim_duncan_fan
07-08-2014, 07:59 PM

while people call him an unmotivated bum, not everybody would be willing to play in obscure countries with the hopes of one day playing to the US. Splitter and Manu were both around 26 when they joined the Spurs, so i wouldn't close the book on Richards yet. but its still disappointing, we were hoping he'd be able to contribute during the Duncan era
Hell, Splitter showed development THIS YEAR. I'm excited to see Richards.

Looking forward to seeing Thomas and Daye for long stretches too.

And Slomo of course.

But Bryce Cotton is gonna wreck shit. I can feel it in my bones.

spurraider21
07-08-2014, 08:03 PM

And Slomo of course.

I'm not very optimistic when it comes to Daye, but I want to see if Thomas has made progress. I really have no idea what Bryce Cotton is all about, but people here seem to think highly of him. I personally think our PG situation is fine with TP/Mills/CoJo, but with Mills being out for some time, we probably do need a 3rd pg

Baam
07-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Meh not that excited and certainly not about a stiff like Richards... Im actually surprised that they think he's worth the plane tickets at this point...

Main thing for me is gonna be if they let Anderson run the point, cause if they dont let him do it in summer league no way they let him do it in the NBA... I hope they give it a shot.

tim_duncan_fan
07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm not very optimistic when it comes to Daye, but I want to see if Thomas has made progress. I really have no idea what Bryce Cotton is all about, but people here seem to think highly of him. I personally think our PG situation is fine with TP/Mills/CoJo, but with Mills being out for some time, we probably do need a 3rd pg

I've not seen him in an NBA game obviously, but I think Cotton has a better handle than CoJo. The test will be whether Cotton is big enough, strong enough for the NBA.

spurraider21
07-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Meh not that excited and certainly not about a stiff like Richards... Im actually surprised that they think he's worth the plane tickets at this point...

Main thing for me is gonna be if they let Anderson run the point, cause if they dont let him do it in summer league no way they let him do it in the NBA... I hope they give it a shot.
i doubt he runs the point to open sets, but he can be somewhat like orlando's turkoglu on offense, even though they had nelson/alston running the point

ceperez
07-08-2014, 08:15 PM

And Slomo of course.

I've pretty much given up on Richards. I liked it when he was drafted, however he hasn't shown any great progress in his game.

Daye is going to be that Robert Horry/Lamar Odom type player for the Spurs. He's got the length and the shooting touch.

I got no more faith in Thomas. He hasn't done well abroad.

Slomo is interesting, he's got potential to bulk up even more. Heard he was from a family of Football players, so he's comfortable with contact. He's going to learn a lot from Boris Diaw. Slomo could be a nightmare to cover, he's a Boris Diaw with some ridiculous length.

Bryce Cotton.... well this guy has outrageous athleticism. Plus he's had 4 years in college to work on his skills. I am pretty sure this guy is going to impress. The Spurs will sign him not because they need him, but because he's ridiculously explosive.

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2014, 08:19 PM
I think Ryan Richards will probably have a good summer league by summer league standards and right around the time when the Spurs don't have a need for him. I hope that Cotton is relentless on defense and can knock down the 3 with consistency. This is Dayes chance to showcase more than just shooting touch with minutes and I don't know if he can, his feet looked like they were in cement last year.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Nobel Boungou-Colo could be a sleeper. 6'8" athletic French player.

Unfortunate that there are too many good players in this team that its difficult to shine.

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Unfortunate that there are too many good players in this team that its difficult to shine.

At 26 he's anything but a sleeper, he's been off the radar for sometime. Athletic as hell but I don't think he's ever sniffed the league.

Baam
07-08-2014, 08:30 PM

Yeah too many forwards especially... Doesn't seem like he will get much of a shot...

Bartleby
07-08-2014, 08:43 PM
I have a feeling Slo-Mo is the real deal and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Cotton doesn't disappoint. His game kind of reminds me of Isaiah Thomas.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 08:53 PM
I have a feeling Slo-Mo is the real deal and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Cotton doesn't disappoint. His game kind of reminds me of Isaiah Thomas.

Don't think Slo-Mo will immediately impress, after all, 29 other teams passed on him. I do expect though by the 2nd year that he would be able to contribute.

objective
07-08-2014, 08:55 PM

I wouldn't give Richards credit for taking easy money without having to work very hard. There is something very strange about a player who has the necessary physical attributes but chooses to continually slum it up in arguably progressively worse leagues. Add that to his abandoning the British national team where he would have had pressure on him .. Strange.

As a comparison: both he and viktor Sanikidze had to spend time in the domestic Georgian league, which is pretty bad. Sanikidze because he had a run of injuries and the only place he could play was his home country, Richards just went there to go there, unless he had burned too many bridges with real leagues.

But Sanikidze rebuilt his career, moving from Georgia to the Estonian league, then Italy, than another Italian league team iirc, then Spain, making a nice career for himself and being a very good player for that level. He made the most of a bad scenario.

What did Richards do with that situation? Nothing. In and out of various joke leagues. Even his time in Greece didn't result in him being a standout like Sanikidze iirc.

I don't have anything against Richards, and I hope for the same of the spurs he becomes a legit player. But his history doesn't give me much hope. I don't have any hope for Deshaun Thomas either, but that's because of his cement shoes. I don't have any hope for Denmon because I think he's too small and without true point skills. I never had hope for McClinton because he was a short, 25 year old no defense non point chucker who I was couldn't imagine making it in the NBA.

But Richards ... I can't point to his body, though he did have shoulder issues. I can't point to his skills, because plenty of bigs in the NBA seem to have nice little careers without a lot of refined skills. I can only point to what's on the inside. For him, climbing the ladder of professional basketball should not have been this difficult considering his physical abilities and the fact that he was already in the acb system when drafted.

Holden_Caulfield
07-08-2014, 08:56 PM
itd be cool if we win the tourney :flag:

barakz21
07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Got it, thanks a lot!

littlecoyotecoin
07-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Don't think Slo-Mo will immediately impress, after all, 29 other teams passed on him. I do expect though by the 2nd year that he would be able to contribute.

30 teams passed on Ginobili, twice. 14 teams passed on Kawhi. 28ish passed on Parker. Don't give up on him as a rook, yet, CE! Draft order not always the best indicator, and RC & co are better than average at spotting NBA talent late in the draft. Friday will be fun.

littlecoyotecoin
07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't give Richards credit for taking easy money without having to work very hard. There is something very strange about a player who has the necessary physical attributes but chooses to continually slum it up in arguably progressively worse leagues. Add that to his abandoning the British national team where he would have had pressure on him .. Strange.

As a comparison: both he and viktor Sanikidze had to spend time in the domestic Georgian league, which is pretty bad. Sanikidze because he had a run of injuries and the only place he could play was his home country, Richards just went there to go there, unless he had burned too many bridges with real leagues.

But Sanikidze rebuilt his career, moving from Georgia to the Estonian league, then Italy, than another Italian league team iirc, then Spain, making a nice career for himself and being a very good player for that level. He made the most of a bad scenario.

What did Richards do with that situation? Nothing. In and out of various joke leagues. Even his time in Greece didn't result in him being a standout like Sanikidze iirc.

I don't have anything against Richards, and I hope for the same of the spurs he becomes a legit player. But his history doesn't give me much hope. I don't have any hope for Deshaun Thomas either, but that's because of his cement shoes. I don't have any hope for Denmon because I think he's too small and without true point skills. I never had hope for McClinton because he was a short, 25 year old no defense non point chucker who I was couldn't imagine making it in the NBA.

But Richards ... I can't point to his body, though he did have shoulder issues. I can't point to his skills, because plenty of bigs in the NBA seem to have nice little careers without a lot of refined skills. I can only point to what's on the inside. For him, climbing the ladder of professional basketball should not have been this difficult considering his physical abilities and the fact that he was already in the acb system when drafted.

Objective with the goods.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 09:08 PM

Excellent post.

I agree, Richards seems to have the physical attributes to do well, however you are probably right, he's got some issues that prevents him from improving.

Chinook
07-08-2014, 11:34 PM
By the way, I'm really impressed with Noel so far. I don't know who's more stupid: Cleveland for picking Bennett over him when Noel was exactly what they needed, or New Orleans for trading him and Payton away for Jrue Holliday.

Vic Petro
07-08-2014, 11:40 PM
By the way, I'm really impressed with Noel so far. I don't know who's more stupid: Cleveland for picking Bennett over him when Noel was exactly what they needed, or New Orleans for trading him and Payton away for Jrue Holliday.

Agree he's predictably clueless on offense but very active around the basket.

spurraider21
07-08-2014, 11:46 PM
After spending a year babysitting Bynum, Philly showed serious balls drafting Noel last year knowing they'd have to babysit. Now same story with Embiid. i was really excited when the Hornets drafted Noel because I thought he was a perfect player to start alongside Davis... then they did the Jrue thing

Chinook
07-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Agree he's predictably clueless on offense but very active around the basket.

He has decent perimeter skills, which surprised the hell out of me. He's still doing too much, but that's fine for a player in his position. Next year, it should be fun to watch Sixers games occasionally.

Chinook
07-08-2014, 11:50 PM
After spending a year babysitting Bynum, Philly showed serious balls drafting Noel last year knowing they'd have to babysit. Now same story with Embiid. i was really excited when the Hornets drafted Noel because I thought he was a perfect player to start alongside Davis... then they did the Jrue thing

Yeah. It's a shame that they keep punting. I can understand gambling on Embiid, but to draft him and Saric in the same draft just screams of tanking. They should have picked someone else at 10/12.

spurraider21
07-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Yeah. It's a shame that they keep punting. I can understand gambling on Embiid, but to draft him and Saric in the same draft just screams of tanking. They should have picked someone else at 10/12.
yeah i didnt understand the Saric pick... there were so many good players at that point in the draft, and its not like they needed to draft and stash to save cap room or anything like houston did

Chinook
07-08-2014, 11:58 PM
yeah i didnt understand the Saric pick... there were so many good players at that point in the draft, and its not like they needed to draft and stash to save cap room or anything like houston did

The thing is, he's not that good. I think he'd be a fine player, but he's a diva and isn't coming over for three years, if at all. It's like Philly seriously wanted to make sure they weren't going to sneak into the playoffs.

The only saving grace is that they already have a good coach and seem committed to him. So these years aren't really being wasted.

TheGoldStandard
07-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Brett has a plan to make the 76ers good in about 3 more seasons, enough to challenge in the East, he's carefully putting pieces together that will either compliment each other or good trade bait for other picks or vets. I see them winning 30 or 40 this season and barely missing the playoffs in the East.

SpursFan86
07-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Yeah, Philly could've had a really good draft. I like the Embiid pick, and I love the fact they got McDaniels/Micic in the 2nd round. But that Saric pick just didn't do it for me.

If they really didn't want a guy they'd have to play/pay right away, they should've tried trading down from 12 IMO.

Baam
07-09-2014, 12:02 AM

Like who, McDermott :lol? Saric is a great pick no matter when he comes over.

They do want to tank for like 4 years in row but regardless Saric is an awesome player...

Chinook
07-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Brett has a plan to make the 76ers good in about 3 more seasons, enough to challenge in the East, he's carefully putting pieces together that will either compliment each other or good trade bait for other picks or vets. I see them winning 30 or 40 this season and barely missing the playoffs in the East.

Don't confuse Brown with Hinkie. Brett can get Philly to the playoffs this season. But Sam will do everything in his power to stop that. Young is going to be traded and Embiid will be shelved the whole season if that's what it takes to give Philly another top-five pick.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Don't confuse Brown with Hinkie. Brett can get Philly to the playoffs this season. But Sam will do everything in his power to stop that. Young is going to be traded and Embiid will be shelved the whole season if that's what it takes to give Philly another top-five pick.

They have there front court kind of shored up and a PG whom they seem to flirt with or hint at trading. They're just missing a wing..

SanDiegoSpursFan
07-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Deshaun Thomas gonna light up the summer league again!

Chinook
07-09-2014, 12:12 AM
They have there front court kind of shored up and a PG whom they seem to flirt with or hint at trading. They're just missing a wing..

Could've picked James Young at 12. Their SL would have been MCW/Young/McDaniels/Young/Noel with Embiid coming back and several picks in the future.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Could've picked James Young at 12. Their SL would have been MCW/Young/McDaniels/Young/Noel with Embiid coming back and several picks in the future.

Saric pick was weird

FireMicoHalili
07-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Saric pick ensures Hinkie still has a job in the long run. Owner can judge sum of all his actions until Saric comes over, and Hinkie may keep stashing picks. Quite shrewd/brilliant, depends how you look at it

ontheraise
07-09-2014, 03:06 AM
pierre vincent asvel(tony's team)'s coach will be assistant coach for spurs during vegas summer league

jermaine
07-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Im computer stupid so I can't find it. But can you buy summer league on xbox 360? Seeing you can buy league pass.

loveforthegame
07-09-2014, 12:49 PM

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Learning from Ayres is not a good thing

BatManu20
07-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Dex
07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Good for Ayres. Nice to see he is putting in the work. Doubt it amounts to much, but...you know...E for effort.

SpursFan86
07-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Good for Ayres. Nice to see he is putting in the work. Doubt it amounts to much, but...you know...E for effort.

When it comes to Jeff, it's more like E for errors.

absoloot66
07-09-2014, 01:16 PM

:lmao:rollin:lmao

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2014, 01:44 PM
They need to post those interviews.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2014, 02:33 PM

ducks
07-09-2014, 02:36 PM
nice year work for a few games

El_Mago
07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
They need to post those interviews.

Up on Spurs.com

boutons_deux
07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
nice year work for a few games

40% of black youth his age unemployed, and those employed would have to work 2+ years to make $50K.

littlecoyotecoin
07-09-2014, 02:47 PM

I feel bad for laughing, and you owe Dex a tip, as he served that one up for you on a platter.

Dex
07-09-2014, 03:05 PM

ace3g
07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
OT but Bertans' brother took a nasty hit to the padding at the base of the basket, head/neck injury.

SpursFan86
07-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Yeah, been watching this game...he's being carried off on a stretcher. Hope he's okay. Looked pretty bad.