PDA

View Full Version : Jury Sentences Espada To Death

sa_butta
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ksat/20050818/lo_ksat/2887880

A Bexar County jury on Thursday night sentenced a man to die by lethal injection for the deaths of his former supervisor and a woman.

Jurors deliberated for 6½ hours before deciding that capital punishment was appropriate punishment for Noah Espada, who was found guilty last week of killing Luke Scott and Sandra Ramos.
Scott was Espada's former boss at Polly Esther's, a River Walk night club. Prosecutors contend that Espada shot and killed Scott out of revenge after Scott fired him.

Ramos, a neighbor of Scott's, was bound and suffocated after Espada mistakenly broke into her apartment, thinking it was Scott's.

Espada sat motionless when the judge read the jury's decision, but the defendant broke down in tears when he addressed the court.

"No matter what happens, I'll never forget what I did," Espada said. "As a matter of fact, I hate myself the same way that you all hate me."

The families of both victims said that although Espada deserved the death penalty, the punishment does little to ease their pain.

"We're here because of the decisions that you made," Alisha Scott-Aboud, Scott's mother, said to Espada during a victim's impact statement. "And the decisions that you made for my son's life, and for Sandra's life."

"My daughter is gone and will never come back," Julio Ramos, the father of Sandra Ramos, said to reporters after the sentencing. "Perhaps, I may see her again."

The families of the two victims joined together to grieve following the sentencing.

Vashner
08-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Good riddance...

SpursWoman
08-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Scott was Espada's former boss at Polly Esther's

I knew him from the gym...and from Polly Ester's when we used to go there all of the time. Such a super-nice guy (and a hottie :oops).

I hope Espada burns in hell. :(

Jelly
08-18-2005, 12:26 PM
texas is too gung ho on the death penalty. It should be reserved for the most brutal murderers....like the BTK Killer and the last few guys that recently raped and bludgeoned children in Idaho and Florida. Sounds like this guy Espada just snapped. He's still a murderer and should spend his life behind bars, but the death penalty is too much.

AlamoSpursFan
08-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Can I push the plunger?

T Park
08-18-2005, 12:36 PM
It should be reserved for the most brutal murderers....like the BTK Killer and the last few guys that recently raped and bludgeoned children in Idaho and Florida. Sounds like this guy Espada just snapped. He's still a murderer and should spend his life behind bars, but the death penalty is too much

Give me a fuckin break.......

You murder someone you get the death penatly.

Dont give us that soft hearted bullshit....

Trainwreck2100
08-18-2005, 12:39 PM
texas is too gung ho on the death penalty. It should be reserved for the most brutal murderers....like the BTK Killer and the last few guys that recently raped and bludgeoned children in Idaho and Florida. Sounds like this guy Espada just snapped. He's still a murderer and should spend his life behind bars, but the death penalty is too much.

He murdered the lady by mistaken identity and then went back and killed his bass a few days later. He deserves to die

goliath
08-18-2005, 12:44 PM
He murdered the lady by mistaken identity and then went back and killed his bass a few days later. He deserves to die

Thats what got him death.

The DA has to prove he is a future danger to society to get the death penalty. The DA argued that he killed the lady then waited a day or two and killed his boss. So that showed he was a future danger b/c he killed again a day or so after the first time. If he killed the lady then got caught or turned himself in he probably wouldnt have gotten it.

sa_butta
08-18-2005, 12:44 PM
texas is too gung ho on the death penalty. It should be reserved for the most brutal murderers....like the BTK Killer and the last few guys that recently raped and bludgeoned children in Idaho and Florida. Sounds like this guy Espada just snapped. He's still a murderer and should spend his life behind bars, but the death penalty is too much.Would you really give a shit how brutal the murder was if it was your family member who was mistakenly murdered?

Useruser666
08-18-2005, 12:46 PM

First off, the "killed his bass" is a funny slip! :lol

Second, he killed the lady not by mistaken identity, but because he broke into her apartment by mistake. That shows he was willing to kill multiple times. Not someone that should EVER be allowed to be around another individual, even in prison.

goliath
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM

FYI, life only means he would do about 40 years. So Espada woulda been out in his early 60s. Still alot of time but not his whole life

goliath
08-18-2005, 12:49 PM

He broke into her apartment thinking it was his boss'. He killed her b/c he was scared she would call the cops and ruin his plan.

He then killed his boss a few days later b/c the boss fired him from Polly Esters.

sa_butta
08-18-2005, 12:49 PM
FYI, life only means he would do about 40 years. So Espada woulda been out in his early 60s. Still alot of time but not his whole lifethere is such thing as jail time w/o possiblity of paroll.

SWC Bonfire
08-18-2005, 12:52 PM
there is such thing as jail time w/o possiblity of paroll.

Not in Texas, unless you count getting killed in prison.

goliath
there is such thing as jail time w/o possiblity of paroll.

Espada woulda been eligible in 40 years.

AlamoSpursFan
Why should the taxpayers have to pay for this moron's upkeep for the rest of his worthless life?

"We have the death penalty in Texas and we USE IT! That means if you come to Texas and kill someone, Texas will kill you back!" -- Ron White

SpursWoman
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Would you really give a shit how brutal the murder was if it was your family member who was mistakenly murdered?

Or someone you knew who was intentionally murdered?

The fact that he went back leaves UNREASONABLE DOUBT that he meant to do exactly what he fucking did. No crime of passion, not under the influence of any mind-altering substances, not mentally incapacitated...but in absolute cold blood.

What makes Luke's life any less valuable than a woman or a child or anyone else? Because the circumstances didn't seem heinous enough? WTF?

SWC Bonfire
08-18-2005, 12:54 PM
"No matter what happens, I'll never forget what I did," Espada said. "As a matter of fact, I hate myself the same way that you all hate me."

Then save the taxpayers some money and give this guy his (heavy-duty) shoelaces back.

sa_butta
08-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Why should the taxpayers have to pay for this moron's upkeep for the rest of his worthless life?

"We have the death penalty in Texas and we USE IT! That means if you come to Texas and kill someone, Texas will kill you back!" -- Ron WhiteI agree, I think we keep alot of these guys on death row too long with all the appeals and shit too.

goliath
08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
One of the sad, wierd, things about this is his family were missionaries.

They traveled to Mexico, Puerto Rico, ect preaching. Even Noah. He has even become a missionary of sorts in jail preaching to the inmates.

Nothing in his background would lead you to believe he was capable of something like this, espicially for such a stupid reason as getting fired from a bar back job

sa_butta
08-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Not in Texas, unless you count getting killed in prison.thanks did not know that.

AlamoSpursFan
08-18-2005, 12:58 PM
has even become a missionary of sorts in jail preaching to the inmates.

Not according to the jail guards, from what I heard....

sa_butta
One of the sad, wierd, things about this is his family were missionaries.

They traveled to Mexico, Puerto Rico, ect preaching. Even Noah. He has even become a missionary of sorts in jail preaching to the inmates.

Nothing in his background would lead you to believe he was capable of something like this, espicially for such a stupid reason as getting fired from a bar back jobNone of this means he is not capable of doing it again. What if he was to go back into society and someone pisses him off enough or gets fired from another job? too risky.

goliath
I agree, I think we keep alot of these guys on death row too long with all the appeals and shit too.

He gets an automatic appeal on a capital murder conviction

sa_butta
08-18-2005, 01:00 PM
He gets an automatic appeal on a capital murder convictionRight but it should not take 20 years to kill the guy, like some.

Ginofan
I agree, I think we keep alot of these guys on death row too long with all the appeals and shit too.

But what if they really are innocent? Everyonce in a while that comes about and what a huge mistake would've been made if they had just gone ahead and killed the inmate so soon after trial.

goliath
None of this means he is not capable of doing it again. What if he was to go back into society and someone pisses him off enough or gets fired from another job? too risky.

Oh dont get me wrong, I totally agree with you.

Just scary that he didnt have a typical background for this type of offense.

SpursWoman
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Not in Texas, unless you count getting killed in prison.

Yes, there is. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

sa_butta
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
But what if they really are innocent? Everyonce in a while that comes about and what a huge mistake would've been made if they had just gone ahead and killed the inmate so soon after trial.True, but is not the case here. I just think there are some than go on much longer that needed.

goliath
08-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Espada was eligible in 40. The attorneys even brought it up in closing arguements

MannyIsGod
08-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Eh, I'm not touching this thread with a ten foot poll. Assholes like this are why it makes arguing against the death penatly so fucking hard.

SpursWoman
08-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Then it wouldn't have been a *w/o parole* sentence, obviously ... but they do hand those out. :fro

angel_luv
08-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Eh, I'm not touching this thread with a ten foot poll. Assholes like this are why it makes arguing against the death penatly so fucking hard.

I'm with you.

I know something has to be done with violent offenders but I don't want to have anything to do with taking a life, not even legally (i.e. the death penalty.)

Tres_Till_it_MHz
08-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Fuck him!

He deserves what he gets regardless of his past. He has got no future, you kill someone you get it too.

I don't want this POS walking the streets. Hopefully anyone else who gets pissed off will see this as a deterent and think before they do something stupid....yeah like that would happen rofl

There are too many dumbfucks out there that should be headless or at least missing an arm or two.

The sone
08-18-2005, 02:57 PM

manny thats a cop out...

i say we string him up and use him for parts...pam anderson needs a new liver no?

Faccia di Angelo
08-18-2005, 07:18 PM
What a whole tragic event. I have a connection to some of these people involved and I feel so bad for it all. I don't understand why he had to kill his boss over being fired and then killing an innocent woman as well. Makes no sense. Apparently his sister testified that he heard voices in his head that the two of them would hear when they were younger.
I don't know whether he just snapped or what. Coming from a christian background and his parents feeling that that wasn't the son they raised, who knows what happened. None of it should have occured. :(

goliath
08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Apparently his sister testified that he heard voices in his head that the two of them would hear when they were younger

Yeah, she testified that they would be put in a closet when they were younger as punishment. One time when they were in there, they saw two glowing red eyes staring at them. She wouldnt talk to "it" b/c she thought it was the devil or a demon but her brother did and after heard voices because of it.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2005, 08:28 PM
One thing this case illustrates is how blurred the line between a human who commits murder and one who does not is. I would personally love to find out how the minds of people who commit these act work. Calling them a monster isn't adequte enough explanation for me.

Jelly
08-18-2005, 08:59 PM
those of you arguing that he should be put to death to save taxpayer's money are showing some serious ignorance of the system. It costs a lot more to carry out the death penalty than to keep someone behind bars for life.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2005, 09:04 PM
It costs a lot more to carry out the death penalty than to keep someone behind bars for life.

I don't think that's true, but if it is then they should make it more cost-effective. Executing someone is pretty simple and inexpensive.

SpursWoman
08-18-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't think that's true, but if it is then they should make it more cost-effective. Executing someone is pretty simple and inexpensive.

Usually when I ask why it costs more than a life term, the number of appeals and those types of things are factored in as well...

atlfan25
08-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Would that mean that people with normal life terms to not appeal much?

Kori Ellis
08-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Usually when I ask why it costs more than a life term, the number of appeals and those types of things are factored in as well...

True. And that's where the problem lies. If you get convicted on the death penalty, IMO you should have one appeal and one appeal only. Then if you are still guilty, be put to death within a very short time frame (less than 1 year). Stretching out death penalty appeals over 15-20 years is ridiculous to me.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
True. And that's where the problem lies. If you get convicted on the death penalty, IMO you should have one appeal and one appeal only. Then if you are still guilty, be put to death within a very short time frame (less than 1 year). Stretching out death penalty appeals over 15-20 years is ridiculous to me.
You get the same amount of appeals as you do for any other crime.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2005, 09:18 PM
You get the same amount of appeals as you do for any other crime.

I know. I'm saying the appeals system is fucked up.

Trainwreck2100
08-18-2005, 09:23 PM

Look at all the people that have been released because of DNA evidence, who knows what kind of advancements will be made in the next years, it's one thing to get life in prison but there is no coming back from DP.

MannyIsGod
08-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Well, what about cases where that last appeal turns out to be the one where the correction is made?

I happen to think the appeals process needs some work, but not in the same way you do. There are times when they refuse to allow new evidence in all kinds of situations - not simply those involving the death penalty - where I wonder why they do that. I'd also love to see DNA testing more.

I would honestly hate to see any more power given to the state in regards to any criminal case in ways of limiting our appeals process that much more. Appeals are put in to place to protect the innocent.

Spam
08-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I know. I'm saying the appeals system is fucked up.

Not when you are really innocent it isn't.

Kori Ellis
08-18-2005, 09:27 PM
It's inevitable that some innocent people get convicted no matter what. I think that if done correctly, one appeal is enough.

I'm very pro death penalty though. So that's why I don't discuss it that much on the forum. I'm also for some pretty bad type of sentences for child molesters and rapists.

Mixability
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Give me a fuckin break.......

You murder someone you get the death penatly.

Dont give us that soft hearted bullshit....

Eye for an Eye makes the whole world blind

Spurminator
08-18-2005, 09:35 PM

Ditto.

Bandit2981
08-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Ive posted on this before, it costs Texas taxpayers MORE money to execute someone than to give someone life in prison. I am for the death penalty, so I think his punishment is deserved, but this particular themed fallacy needed addressing.

Spurminator
08-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Regardless of which is more expensive, they both need work.

Life in prison should be pretty cheap on Joe Taxpayer's wallet. How expensive is oatmeal and water 21 times a week?

The sone
08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Eye for an Eye makes the whole world blind

i agree with you on this but would you still feel the same if it was your sister or mother that was "accidentilly" shot? its just to difficult to try and understand how the loved ones were effected. perhaps we should let the loved ones decide the fate of the "evil doers".

MannyIsGod
08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Regardless of which is more expensive, they both need work.

Life in prison should be pretty cheap on Joe Taxpayer's wallet. How expensive is oatmeal and water 21 times a week?
Yes, I wish people would undestand that a disapproval for the death penalty does not equate an approval for an easy life in prison.

The sone
08-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Yes, I wish people would undestand that a disapproval for the death penalty does not equate an approval for an easy life in prison.

but it usually ends up that way doesnt it?

Bandit2981
08-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Some things can be worse than death. I would probably prefer to be executed rather than worrying about my cornhole for the rest of my life.

Mixability
08-18-2005, 10:01 PM
i agree with you on this but would you still feel the same if it was your sister or mother that was "accidentilly" shot? its just to difficult to try and understand how the loved ones were effected. perhaps we should let the loved ones decide the fate of the "evil doers".

Even in that situation, I would still like to see them suffer. It may seem weird, but dying is just an easy way out for a murderer. I say give them the rest of their life to deal with what they did.

Jelly
08-18-2005, 10:25 PM

Bad idea. Very bad idea. I, for one, know that I would be completely emotional and irrational if I had to determine the fate of the murderer of my loved one. I would very likely go completely over the edge and want to inflict indescribable pain and suffering on them. These things should always be decided by those that are not emotionally involved and can therefore apply the law with a rational and clear-headed mind.

midgetonadonkey
08-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Even in that situation, I would still like to see them suffer. It may seem weird, but dying is just an easy way out for a murderer. I say give them the rest of their life to deal with what they did.

They should allow a life of torture for people that really deserve it. Child molestors, serial killers, mass murderers, etc. The correctional facilities should be allowed to hook their genitals up to car batteries, burn them with acid, and other painful methods of torture. Death is an easy way out for most criminals, they should have to really pay for what they've done.

I'm not saying torture is okay for all criminals, just the ones that deserve it.

Mixability
08-18-2005, 10:39 PM
They should allow a life of torture for people that really deserve it. Child molestors, serial killers, mass murderers, etc. The correctional facilities should be allowed to hook their genitals up to car batteries, burn them with acid, and other painful methods of torture. Death is an easy way out for most criminals, they should have to really pay for what they've done.

I'm not saying torture is okay for all criminals, just the ones that deserve it.

Make them want to die, beg to die, but never let them get off that easy!

Vashner
08-18-2005, 10:48 PM

In Mexico look at the value of life? WHY? Because in Mexico you can go on a shooting spree and the WORST you will get is chilling with your Home boys with 3 square meals a day.

BTK Killer trial was not in Texas each state handles death except for Federal Crimes.

Jelly
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
In Mexico look at the value of life? WHY? Because in Mexico you can go on a shooting spree and the WORST you will get is chilling with your Home boys with 3 square meals a day.

BTK Killer trial was not in Texas each state handles death except for Federal Crimes.

I don't know why you're bringing up Mexico, but as far as your point about each state handling it's own death penalty policy.... no disrespect meant, but...DUH!!

The sone
08-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Bad idea. Very bad idea. I, for one, know that I would be completely emotional and irrational if I had to determine the fate of the murderer of my loved one. I would very likely go completely over the edge and want to inflict indescribable pain and suffering on them. These things should always be decided by those that are not emotionally involved and can therefore apply the law with a rational and clear-headed mind.

so you would be ok if they just let him go??

The sone
08-19-2005, 01:16 AM

only prob with that is that now you are no better than they were. also if you argue for life...which im not sure you are doing but still, then torture is just as bad as the act its self...its just to dam hard to figure out. where is the higher authority, as written in all of the religious text, when we need it?

Useruser666
08-19-2005, 08:05 AM
The death penalty has a purpose in today's society. It removes a select group of people from that society in a way that no jail or prison can. Debating the cost of a death sentence to one of life is irrelevent when the difference is no where near vast enough to even warrant debate. If money was such an issue with determining each convict's sentence, then we'd be left constantly in a state of shortening sentences for finacial reasons. All though finances have limits, justice should not. When an individual is soley to cause harm to society or any other individual they come into contact with, their ability to cause that harm must be taken away. A death sentence is 100% effective against this once carried out.

Sure there is always a chance the innocent may be convicted wrongly. I don't know of a system that could ever be 100% accurate in defining who is guilty and who is innocent. Such a system may simply not be possible. Compare how many people are accidently shot by police to those who were wrongly convicted and executed. Obviously many times more people have been killed by police than have been wrongly executed. What does this tell us? Should cops have their guns taken from them because there is a risk they might kill someone wrongly? Or is the risk of killing an innocent person one we as a society are willing to accept in order to protect the majority?

KEDA
08-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Luke Scott was a good customer of mine at Office Depot, when I found out, I was a little shocked!

I hope that Esparza get it from Bubba every day until they give him the dead juice!

Jelly
08-19-2005, 12:03 PM
so you would be ok if they just let him go??

of course not! what in the hell gave you that idea? Since sentences have never been determined by the victims family (in any modern society) you must be under the impression that all murderers have been walking away scot free.

The sone
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
of course not! what in the hell gave you that idea? Since sentences have never been determined by the victims family (in any modern society) you must be under the impression that all murderers have been walking away scot free.

it was rhetorical, i was just trying to make a point on how these kind of decisions can never be simple.

settle down!

angel_luv
08-19-2005, 01:31 PM
I think the only point anyone has successfully proven is that the death penalty is way too big of an issue for us to come up with an answer to while we sit browsing a forum.

angel_luv
08-19-2005, 01:43 PM

I agree with you one hundred percent on this point.
I can't even be rational when imagining a "what if" situtation. Just the thought of someone hurting a person I love... there aren't words.

CGill_1977
08-24-2005, 10:37 AM
I just wanted to say that the justice system still works. What Espada did deserves death. Regardless of a troubled childhood, domineering parents and other unknown facts; we choose to do what we will. Automatic appeals are necessary to finalize the job, yet it's hard to get a death decision change into life. I feel for all parties, Ramos, Scott and even Espada. What a waste of life!

Horry For 3!
08-24-2005, 10:48 AM
I heard that on the radio. I also heard the funniest shit. Some satellite company will give people who live in the Corpus Christi area 10 years of free satellite if Corpus changes their name to Dish. :lmao

sa_butta
08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I heard that on the radio. I also heard the funniest shit. Some satellite company will give people who live in the Corpus Christi area 10 years of free satellite if Corpus changes their name to Dish. :lmaohttp://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23883