PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker Absent in Basically 2 Consecutive Closeout Games; Spurs Win Both

DMC
06-27-2014, 04:44 PM
What does that mean?

Bambililos
06-27-2014, 04:46 PM
It means we have a great team and that's why we're Champions.

Poolboy5623
06-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Haven't your heard? The Spurs have a great TEAM.

jARS mEsH sEt
06-27-2014, 04:49 PM
You tell me what it means and I'll ask you to prove it.

JsnSA
06-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Parker did not shoot well thats for sure but he did a lot of other little things that still helped. He certainly wasn't absent.

Dex
06-27-2014, 04:52 PM
It means shut the fuck up, that's what it means.

EP Money Man
06-27-2014, 04:57 PM
I thought he was 7-7 in the 4th at one point of game 5?

Dex
06-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Sorry, just felt like being all hyper-aggro for a sec.

Splits
06-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Dude scored like 14 points in the 4th quarter of game 5. Sure he was like 1-11 through the first 3 quarters but he was hardly "absent".

Josh810
06-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Sorry, just felt like being all hyper-aggro for a sec.Nah, you basically had it right.

vander
06-27-2014, 05:01 PM
he will be a valuable minute-eater during the regular season though,

BillMc
06-27-2014, 05:02 PM
It means were deep, we're good, we're champs, and Spurs fans need to micro-analyze everything.

BanditHiro
06-27-2014, 05:13 PM
It means PG led teams or PG dependent teams will never win championships

PublicOption
06-27-2014, 05:32 PM
tony burns out. he just can't carry the whole load....whether physical or mental. It's been that way since 2003......see speedy claxton 2003 game 6 nba finals.

TheyCallMePro
06-27-2014, 05:35 PM
It means he saved our ass in game 7 vs the Mavericks or we don't get to those two closeout games.

Old School 44
06-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Just deferring to Kawhi like Pop ordered.

will_spurs
06-27-2014, 05:46 PM
What does that mean?

It mean you're an asshole.

Chinook
06-27-2014, 05:47 PM
It tells us that the Medium Three are the backbone of the team. OKC and Portland couldn't get it down because the Spurs locked them down on defense.

Perry Mason
06-27-2014, 05:51 PM
There was a point during TP's recent Kimmel interview where he casually remarked that while his kid was being born and he was in the hospital, there he was doing treatment with his ankles etc. on ice in the delivery room while trying to assist his fiance. The man is a warrior.

He doesn't complain about injuries, he doesn't make excuses; instead, he is there in the hospital doing something far more valuable than playing basketball, and yet still he brings all the necessary equipment to treat his injuries every possible second, at a time when any sane person would just want to rest.

If he were a choker or a faker, those things don't happen. He almost won us a title last year (a fluke prevented that), and he was instrumental in getting us to a title this year (see Dallas, Portland series). That he got a ton of attention against the Heat, thereby freeing up Kawhi, is not a knock on him but a natural result of the threat he presents.

Next year I expect a lot of MVParker given the rest he will get this summer.

baseline bum
06-27-2014, 05:54 PM
James played like a madman in first and third quarters of games, but having to carry the entire offensive load and guard Parker full-time ensured he was always spent in second and fourth quarters, with the exception of Game 2.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 05:57 PM
It means that opposing teams change their entire defense to face Tony Parker, and the Spurs can take advantage of that.

gilmor
06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
I wont be surprised if tony will one day be part of the ownership of spurs. U guys can bitch whatever you want.

Kidd K
06-27-2014, 06:03 PM
He didn't shoot well early but handling the ball and having most of the opposing team's defense focused on him which DOES open up other players.

In the end he still actually had a decent Finals tbh. He definitely didn't totally suck. After all, Kawhi had mediocre-looking games 1 and 2, but who gives a shit?

myhc
06-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Dumb thread from an even dumber poster.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Dumb thread from an even dumber poster.I think it was subtle troll goods tbh.

UZER
06-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Carried the torch down the home stretch while Kawhi was out the entire second half in foul trouble.

Robz4000
06-27-2014, 06:11 PM
He was MIA in three consecutive closeout games. Game 5 against Portland, Game 6 against OKC, and Game 5 against Miami.

UZER
06-27-2014, 06:18 PM
He was MIA in three consecutive closeout games. Game 5 against Portland, Game 6 against OKC, and Game 5 against Miami.

:lol yeah. It's been his MO for as long as I can remember. But I think he has grown up a lot, especially when he told the media to give Kawhi time to grow and not put too much pressure on him so early.

I think this year he was just running on fumes. I expect a big year from him next year including the playoff close out games.

KL2
06-27-2014, 06:35 PM
It means he saved our ass in game 7 vs the Mavericks or we don't get to those two closeout games.

Mavs series should've been over 4-0, it was as simple as TP not ball hogging and feeding Leonard in the post vs Ellis. Instead we got hero ball and it went to 7 games, stats never tell the full story.

This team has a peak with TP as the #1 option, and we've seen the results when this became "Parker's" team after an undeserved Finals MVP in 07. Everyone bought into the false MVP, and the lack of success showed. Sure Parker will get you some wins, but he'll never lead you to a championship, no PG will, it all comes down to them not being big enough.

Knoxxx
06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
It means he had LeBron James guarding him, the best defender on the other team. This freed his teammates up to emasculate the rest of the Heat.

Mikeanaro
06-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Nothing at all he needs to rest to feel better next season, and keep moving the ball in the playoffs.

therealtruth
06-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Mavs series should've been over 4-0, it was as simple as TP not ball hogging and feeding Leonard in the post vs Ellis. Instead we got hero ball and it went to 7 games, stats never tell the full story.

This team has a peak with TP as the #1 option, and we've seen the results when this became "Parker's" team after an undeserved Finals MVP in 07. Everyone bought into the false MVP, and the lack of success showed. Sure Parker will get you some wins, but he'll never lead you to a championship, no PG will, it all comes down to them not being big enough.

I think the biggest adjustment for the team this year was relying less on TP. Moving him from the head of the snake made us much tougher to stop. That said without being the head of the snake he's probably more dangerous.

The Reckoning
06-27-2014, 08:01 PM
it means the heat were focused on locking him down so other players were able to step up in their roles

EVAY
06-27-2014, 08:30 PM
tony burns out. he just can't carry the whole load....whether physical or mental. It's been that way since 2003......see speedy claxton 2003 game 6 nba finals.

I've heard this repeatedly and it is a canard. In the 2003 finals Tony was in his second year with the team 20 years old (maybe he had just turned 21 but it was within a month or so)...remember last year when Kawhi was in his second year with the team and he missed a critical free throw in Game 6 of the finals? It is the same phenomenon. He was in fact too young for the pressure and he was in fact saved by Speedy in that game...but he was the future of the franchise then just like Kawhi was last year. People who rag on Tony and don't recognize that he did basically what most youngsters do at that point in time are just not using their brains.

Tony carried the team all of last year and out us up by 5 points in the last minutes of game 6, and he did it on a grade 2 hammy strain. We didn't win it, but that was not
on Tony. Tony has been the workhorse of the Spurs offense for the last several years and probably will be again next year. He didn't score well in the first half of this year's game 5, and he didn't play as well as Kawhi or Tim or Boris or Manu or Patty. But he did his job.

He was tired all year this year and it showed. But the pg rarely wins a title...or loses it. He has been a finals MVP. He wasn't in 2003 and he wasn't this year. Tim wasn't in 2007 and wasn't this year. Does that mean Tim didn't show up?

It is a team man. Try to understand that. Try harder than you are now.

DMC
06-27-2014, 08:54 PM
No I mean what does it mean that the Spurs still won? Can the Spurs trade Tony Parker away and keep Patty as the starting PG for less, and maybe get a good backup for Leonard or a decent big in exchange?

ducks
06-27-2014, 08:59 PM
No I mean what does it mean that the Spurs still won? Can the Spurs trade Tony Parker away and keep Patty as the starting PG for less, and maybe get a good backup for Leonard or a decent big in exchange?
trade
tp for Williams and nets would win 15 or more games
spurs lose 20 or more

DMC
06-27-2014, 09:08 PM
trade
spurs lose 20 or more

I didn't suggest trading Tony for DWill. In fact I haven't suggested anything. I just wonder how the Spurs will see it, that they are viable without Tony... even Vegas saw that.

Pound the rock
06-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Bite the hand that feeds..

Knoxxx
06-27-2014, 09:24 PM
This is officially a fail thread Parker aint going nowhere that's absurd.

cd021
06-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Parker did not shoot well thats for sure but he did a lot of other little things that still helped. He certainly wasn't absent.

save for game 3 where he shot 4-10 and the first 3 quarters of game 5 he actually shot the ball very well. he did make 7 straight shots in the 4th to bury the heat.

in game 1, 2 & 4 he shot 8-15 (in each of those 3 games) 24-45 (53%) he played pretty well overall.

cd021
06-27-2014, 09:46 PM

So a hypothethetical? in that case it means that the Spurs offensive balance was historic one one scored 20ppg over the year or even 18 ppg for that matter. Leonard already has a backup in Ginobili and Green getting a backup SF would mean Marco doesn't play.

T Park
06-27-2014, 09:47 PM
What does that mean?

7-7 in the fourth quarter of a championship close out. What's your point?

ElNono
06-27-2014, 09:56 PM
What does that mean?

It means we had a deep, healthy team that didn't need to rely on his heroics...

I'm not concerned about him, I think he'll bounce back to MVParker next season. There shouldn't be any age constrains, etc for that not to be the case.

That said, I wouldn't mind having Patty back as insurance...

T Park
06-27-2014, 10:00 PM

The spurs have decent bigs. There's nothing wrong with their bigs...

Diego20
06-27-2014, 10:09 PM
trade
spurs lose 20 or more

Get over man, TP did not win the MVP this year, he won the last one in 2007. Time to change your avatar picture and start thinking about the Spurs and not only one player..

DMC
06-27-2014, 10:32 PM
So a hypothethetical? in that case it means that the Spurs offensive balance was historic one one scored 20ppg over the year or even 18 ppg for that matter. Leonard already has a backup in Ginobili and Green getting a backup SF would mean Marco doesn't play.

This is an interesting take. How hard is it to build what the Spurs have. I'd say impossible to recreate it anywhere else, maybe even in SA.

DMC
06-27-2014, 10:35 PM
7-7 in the fourth quarter of a championship close out. What's your point?

Meaning even without the face of the franchise (so to speak) Spurs win big games, OKC on the road with Tony completely absent and Cory Joseph starting for him. The Spurs model could change the NBA, but I don't think it will because it's too hard to duplicate. Instead of a stacked super team, you have a team of good players who play great as a team and a group of stars who allow guys like Mills and Green to rise and be in the spotlight. That's never going to happen anywhere else.

Jenks
06-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm no TP hater, but the Spurs were up 20ish going into the 4th when he finally started scoring, despite him being 0 for 11. Let's not pretend he rallied them to a victory with a mythological clutch performance at the end of game 5.

edit:
Everyone seems to be talking about Miami as if its one of the two consecutive closeout games he was absent from.
I assumed you meant Portland and OKC?
Because if you're saying he was basically absent from game 5, than that's 3 consecutive closeout games.

ducks
06-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Get over man, TP did not win the MVP this year, he won the last one in 2007. Time to change your avatar picture and start thinking about the Spurs and not only one player..

been a spur fan since david robinson was drafted
timvp made my avatar leaving it up

ducks
06-27-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm no TP hater, but the Spurs were up 20ish going into the 4th when he finally started scoring, despite him being 0 for 11. Let's not pretend he rallied them to a victory with a mythological clutch performance at the end of game 5.
tp did more then his share for the title this year

Dex
06-27-2014, 10:37 PM
There was a point during TP's recent Kimmel interview where he casually remarked that while his kid was being born and he was in the hospital, there he was doing treatment with his ankles etc. on ice in the delivery room while trying to assist his fiance. The man is a warrior.

He doesn't complain about injuries, he doesn't make excuses; instead, he is there in the hospital doing something far more valuable than playing basketball, and yet still he brings all the necessary equipment to treat his injuries every possible second, at a time when any sane person would just want to rest.

If he were a choker or a faker, those things don't happen. He almost won us a title last year (a fluke prevented that), and he was instrumental in getting us to a title this year (see Dallas, Portland series). That he got a ton of attention against the Heat, thereby freeing up Kawhi, is not a knock on him but a natural result of the threat he presents.

Next year I expect a lot of MVParker given the rest he will get this summer.

:tu Bold this man.

DMC
06-27-2014, 10:38 PM
The spurs have decent bigs. There's nothing wrong with their bigs...

Tim is short in the stay and long in the tooth.

Jenks
06-27-2014, 10:41 PM
tp did more then his share for the title this yearYes he did. That doesn't mean he played well in game 5.

spurs10
06-27-2014, 10:45 PM
It means we had a deep, healthy team that didn't need to rely on his heroics... I'm not concerned about him, I think he'll bounce back to MVParker next season. There shouldn't be any age constrains, etc for that not to be the case. That said, I wouldn't mind having Patty back as insurance... I can't imagine the PATFO not doing everything possible to bring Patty and Boris back. Unless they can find a great spread 4 to spell Boris then the Red Mamba probably is coming back for minimum.

ducks
06-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Yes he did. That doesn't mean he played well in game 5.

he wore out james

ElNono
06-27-2014, 10:52 PM
I also think Tony is a victim of his own success... he had such a gorgeous 2012-2013 season (despite ending with an injury), that he set a very high bar of what was expected of him. By that measure, it's not inconceivable to say he had a down year.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he was mostly tired, had some nagging injuries, etc. We'll see what he looks like next season. Even if not '12-'13 MVParker, he's still key for this team.

ducks
06-27-2014, 10:55 PM
if you had aj out there instead of tp
james would have guard leonard and he would have slowed him down

DesignatedT
06-27-2014, 11:07 PM
People clearly just don't understand how much he actually means to this team and that the spurs would have a 0% chance at making it through an entire regular season and playoff run without him.

smrattler
06-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Khawi, Manu and Patty torched the Heat for three quarters. Parker closed the show. When he was 1-11 through 3 quarters, you knew he wasn't going to not do his part.

Everyone contributed.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2014, 11:16 PM
It means that assholes like yourself can't just appreciate the championship without nitpicking the insignificant details.

dbreiden83080
06-27-2014, 11:17 PM
I actually seem to recall people on this site giving Tim Duncan tons of shit for being less than dominant in the 2007 NBA finals. Its just never enough for some people..

dbreiden83080
06-27-2014, 11:20 PM
People clearly just don't understand how much he actually means to this team and that the spurs would have a 0% chance at making it through an entire regular season and playoff run without him.

Tim Duncan pretty much carried the Spurs to the first two championships but there is really no doubt that the big 3 won the next three championships together each stepping up at different times when the team needed it. They were a vital part of all three of them.

Brazil
06-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Great thread tbh will recommend to family and friends

Brazil
06-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Also OP is a faggot

howbouthemspurs
06-28-2014, 12:35 AM
It means you are obviously clueless!

lefty
06-28-2014, 12:37 AM
What does that mean?
that like any French before him, he had to be bailed out by Muricans

DMC
06-28-2014, 12:37 AM
Also OP is a faggot

:lol

Brazil
06-28-2014, 12:40 AM

lefty
06-28-2014, 12:41 AM

100%duncan
06-28-2014, 12:45 AM
It means we can trade him for anyone. He did nothing tbh

T Park
06-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Tim is short in the stay and long in the tooth.

Does nothing to change the now. When he wants he can still drop 24 and 12. So again, don't see your point.

DMC
06-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Does nothing to change the now. When he wants he can still drop 24 and 12. So again, don't see your point.

You don't wait until you have no one. You bring in your next franchise big and let him be Duncan's apprentice. Tiago is not that man.

skulls138
06-28-2014, 10:54 AM
It means shut the fuck up, that's what it means.:lol:lol:lol

Seriously though it means them guarding Parker opened it up for other players.

therealtruth
06-28-2014, 12:41 PM
It means we had a deep, healthy team that didn't need to rely on his heroics...

I'm not concerned about him, I think he'll bounce back to MVParker next season. There shouldn't be any age constrains, etc for that not to be the case.

That said, I wouldn't mind having Patty back as insurance...

I actually don't want MVParker because it makes it very easy for the team to rely too much on him. Then the second you shut down him down the team struggles. I think sharing the load offensively was one of the biggest reasons we were hard to beat. There wasn't any head of the snake or any one guy you could just concentrate on defensively.

Basically TP not being MVParker makes as a much more dangerous team. That is TP being able to get 17-18 w/o being the focus offensively.

therealtruth
06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
if you had aj out there instead of tp
james would have guard leonard and he would have slowed him down

James did guard Leonard quite a bit.

bobcatfan4life
06-28-2014, 01:20 PM
I'll never understand the Manu vs Parker debate. They're both great players and equally important to their teams, no matter what every year it's either TP or Manu that end up becoming the scapegoat of the Spurs's failures.

ElNono
06-28-2014, 02:28 PM
I actually don't want MVParker

wat? of course you want MVParker. He was a walking mismatch until he got hurt.

I'll never understand the Manu vs Parker debate.

that's good, because there's none of that in this thread AFAIK (yet)

TheGreatYacht
06-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Fuck it blow it all up

Trade Manu for Hollis Thompson

Trade Parker for Wiggins

TheGreatYacht
06-28-2014, 02:35 PM
I'll never understand the Manu vs Parker debate. They're both great players and equally important to their teams, no matter what every year it's either TP or Manu that end up becoming the scapegoat of the Spurs's failures.
The world blames Manu.
The browns blame Parker.

Its the circle of life

downunder
06-28-2014, 05:29 PM
It means that occasionally Parker can play poorly. In the last game he only scored in garbage time when the game was already decided. He is not perfect. Hopefully it also means that Pop will insist Spurs retain Mills no matter the price.

DMC
06-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Everyone jumping to defend Tony... and the elephant in the room is the fact that the Spurs won regardless.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 05:34 PM
He's not getting traded.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-28-2014, 06:01 PM
I didn't suggest trading Tony for DWill. In fact I haven't suggested anything. I just wonder how the Spurs will see it, that they are viable without Tony... even Vegas saw that.

Let me put it this way, There isn't one player in this league not on a rookie contract that can match TPs production for the salary he has at the guard position. Maybe Dragic, but who knows how well he would mesh with Tim and Manu. Those three are like family and trading TP at this point wouldn't fly with them.

Next year they could possibly sign and trade Parker if Manu, Tim and Pop retire. Could get a lottery pick from some team. But I still hardly thinks this happens.

DMC
06-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Let me put it this way, There isn't one player in this league not on a rookie contract that can match TPs production for the salary he has at the guard position. Maybe Dragic, but who knows how well he would mesh with Tim and Manu. Those three are like family and trading TP at this point wouldn't fly with them.

Next year they could possibly sign and trade Parker if Manu, Tim and Pop retire. Could get a lottery pick from some team. But I still hardly thinks this happens.

Boiled down though, Spurs won without him.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Boiled down, the Spurs don't get in a position to win without him without him.

HI-FI
06-28-2014, 06:29 PM

FuzzyLumpkins
06-28-2014, 08:58 PM
In the second half of the game 5 vs Heat they stopped doubling him hard on the pnr on the hedge and voila he started scoring. The Heat's defensive gameplan was to shut down Parker both this year and last. Manu and Leonard stepped up this year more than Parker did not show up. Manu often had the pleasure of single coverage by Wade and the corpse of Ray Allen. He dominated them as he should.

They all won a title.

TampaDude
06-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Also OP is a faggot

EVAY
06-28-2014, 09:25 PM
In the second half of the game 5 vs Heat they stopped doubling him hard on the pnr on the hedge and voila he started scoring. The Heat's defensive gameplan was to shut down Parker both this year and last. Manu and Leonard stepped up this year more than Parker did not show up. Manu often had the pleasure of single coverage by Wade and the corpse of Ray Allen. He dominated them as he should.

They all won a title.

Well said. Thank you:toast

therealtruth
06-29-2014, 10:23 AM

They all won a title.

He did also miss alot of easy shots that he normally makes. You could say it was also a regression to the mean.

boutons_deux
06-29-2014, 11:18 AM

They all won a title.

aka, Heat lost because the Spurs had too many scorers, too many ways to score.

In the Championship game, Spurs had 5 players with 14 or more pts.

iow, it was Wack-a-Mole, and Heat couldn't whack 'em all.

therealtruth
06-29-2014, 08:51 PM
aka, Heat lost because the Spurs had too many scorers, too many ways to score.

In the Championship game, Spurs had 5 players with 14 or more pts.

iow, it was Wack-a-Mole, and Heat couldn't whack 'em all.

Not just that. Our defense was good enough to make it hard for them to score. It reminds us of how a couple of years ago we used to struggle defensively and couldn't put up enough points to make up for it. I remember us getting swept by the Suns in '10 cause of that.

DAF86
06-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Always thought MVParkers' contribution these last three seasons have been a little overrated. Since that major overhaul after the 2011 season the Spurs have been fucking stacked, they are probably the less star reliant team in history.

Don't get me wrong, Tony is still our number one option and as such is very important for this team but he isn't nor he ever was an irreplaceable vital force that would turn a contender into a mediocre team with his absence (ala Lebron or Durant) and for much of the past three seasons (specially the last one) the media and fans used to talk as if this was the case.

DocDoc
06-30-2014, 07:30 AM

There is a reason that Patty always plays with Manu or Tony on the floor.

playbonner15
06-30-2014, 07:59 AM
That Patty/Parker was killer and the heat had trouble running with both on the floor. I think Pop didnt want any team game planning against that combination. We'll only see that combo again next playoffs

Solid D
06-30-2014, 08:06 AM
What does that mean?

It means his production in those two games added to his production in the other playoff games led the Champions in points and assists.