PDA

View Full Version : Another Kyle Anderson thread

FkLA
06-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Pro-Anderson people are twisting worries about his athleticism and making it seem like those that are worried think you need to be a freak athlete to have a place in the league. He's a below average athlete, simple as that. He doesn't need to be James White but it'd be nice if he had NBA level athleticism. Not only will that likely present problems when he tries to get his shot off but his defense, which wasn't all that great in college, also has to be a concern.

His passing and shooting are nice skills to have in the Spurs system though. I think the Spurs will have him put on some weight and ultimately use him as a stretch 4. Don't think he is athletic enough to stay in front of most quality SFs. A Channing Frye with better passing would be ideal IMO.

Blake
06-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Wtf is this thread coming from a fat Diaw lover?

Smh utsa

Twisted_Dawg
06-27-2014, 08:27 PM
And this deserved another KA thread??? Why?

FkLA
06-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Diaw plays the 4, dumbfuck.

FkLA
06-27-2014, 08:34 PM
And this deserved another KA thread??? Why?

It didn't but I wanted to be heard. :cry

ChumpDumper
06-27-2014, 08:35 PM
It's a question that won't be answered by any of us on a message board.

So no need for another thread, especially when the issue is brought up in every Anderson thread.

Prime Time
06-27-2014, 08:38 PM
I'll worry about the lack of athleticism when I see him become a liability because of it. He's been a good player in both college and the NBA, so I'll trust in Pop and RC.

With that said - this guy is so talented for being only 20.

TheGoldStandard
06-27-2014, 08:40 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/28tvxb4.jpg Lets add another Anderson into the mix

RD2191
06-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Fkla you're good people but I'm not sure the topic at hand is thread-worthy. tbh

Mr. Body
06-27-2014, 09:24 PM
He won't be a worse defender than Jared Dudley.

baseline bum
06-27-2014, 09:28 PM
If Anderson had average NBA level athleticism he probably goes #4 tbh.

Aztecfan03
06-27-2014, 10:14 PM
I'll worry about the lack of athleticism when I see him become a liability because of it. He's been a good player in both college and the NBA, so I'll trust in Pop and RC.

With that said - this guy is so talented for being only 20.

Can you time travel or something?

Prime Time
06-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Can you time travel or something?
:lol would saying yes save me the embarrassment? Meant to say HS.

xellos88330
06-27-2014, 10:21 PM
I am torn with this guy actually. Mainly because he defense could be suspect due to his speed. I am not worried about him at all offensively. Defensively if he doesn't give up layups, then I am happy with him.

T Park
06-27-2014, 10:25 PM
If Anderson had average NBA level athleticism he probably goes #4 tbh.

His body fat percentage is 13% and he's thin. Getting him in shape might do him a bit of good.

SouthernFried
06-27-2014, 10:32 PM
This guy reminds me of Magic Johnson so much.

I don't think anyone would ever say Magic was the most athletic guy on the floor. Wouldn't say it about Bird either. And, I don't care what anyone says...Kyle is a point guard. Just like Magic. Everything about him screams Magic Johnson. Here's hoping he actually comes close to what Magic was...

I am really interested to see what Pop has in store for him.

baseline bum
06-27-2014, 11:04 PM

I don't think anyone would ever say Magic was the most athletic guy on the floor. Wouldn't say it about Bird either. And, I don't care what anyone says...Kyle is a point guard. Just like Magic. Everything about him screams Magic Johnson. Here's hoping he actually comes close to what Magic was...

Magic Johnson? :rollin

Come on, Magic was huge and a very good athlete. Bird had great NBA size and could get a good shot off on anyone. This board is reading like an old Pistons board I remember 15 years ago when delusional fans were saying Jerome Williams could be Duncan.

xmas1997
06-27-2014, 11:09 PM

I agree, I haven't been this interested in a new Spur since Manu came on board. So many here were saying how terrible he was at the time too.
Yes, the Magic comparisons are definitely there, but as others have said so are the Boris comparisons.
But I also see touches of Manu in his game and especially Ice.
Intriguing player to say the least.
Can't believe he fell to us.

LakerHater
06-27-2014, 11:10 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2c0qdh.jpg

keepinitwill
06-27-2014, 11:13 PM
I think Andseron will be fine. Yes, he is slow and is not a tenacious defender, but everyone has weaknesses. He is highly intelligent and will figure out what he needs to do to compete. His game mirrors a young Magic Johnson. I hope he does well in training camp and can earn 18 - 20 minutes per game this year. This kid could be part of the future along with Kawhi tbh.

baseline bum
06-27-2014, 11:18 PM
I agree, I haven't been this interested in a new Spur since Manu came on board. So many here were saying how terrible he was at the time too.
Yes, the Magic comparisons are definitely there, but as others have said so are the Boris comparisons.

Wasn't Manu considered pretty terrible at the time? His defense was ridiculously suspect. But then the next year he started making huge strides in Italy, and by 01-02 he and Bodiroga were the two best players in Europe.

SouthernFried
06-27-2014, 11:50 PM

I agree with most of this...especially the "Can't believe he fell to us"...lol. If the Spurs had the 15th overall pick, I woulda still been happy to get Kyle.

The reason I see more of Magic in him, is not only his court awareness and passing...but, his leadership and play making at the point position. Magic use to dribble with one hand, and direct the court with his other hand. Pointing and telling people where to go and be. Not only being able to hit the open man...but, directing the play to get him open in the first place. I see that potential in Kyle.

Boris sees the court and is an excellent passer off the low post position, especially when backing down someone. But, he's usually not directing the court from the point position. He's an "interior" point forward kinda guy. So, he's not really controlling the entire court. Manu's ability to break down defenses individually makes him a dangerous passer as well. But, it's usually his own abilities to get by people that makes him so dangerous. They both have incredible court awareness...and I think Kyle shares that with them. Boris and Kyle I think have one other common trait. They play "in control." Manu can get kinda out there...lol.

The only thing I think Kyle shares with Gervin, is his slowness. lol. I've seen some weird off the board with crazy "english" shots by Kyle...but, nothing like Gervin used to do. Nobody could do those shots like Gervin, then or now :) And I don't think you could say Gervin was really known for his passing ;)

But, if at the end of the day, Kyle comes close to any of these players...I'd say we won on this deal. :)

ElNono
06-27-2014, 11:50 PM

:lol you're not actually expecting him to be anywhere near Magic tho, right? I mean, that's a huge fucking bar. Top 5 all-time bar...

tim_duncan_fan
06-27-2014, 11:54 PM
If he can't get any faster he's gonna be useless in the NBA though. Point blank.

There's only so far being able to throw a nice outlet pass can carry you.

Is it possible for him to become quicker?

SouthernFried
06-27-2014, 11:56 PM
The hardest thing I think with Kyle right now is...how do you use him?

If Kyle's natural position is PG (which I think it is.) Well...where in that rotation do you put him? That's a tuff one. I don't see him as a shooting guard or defensive guard. And definetly not in the 2 low post positions. Maybe you could have him run some plays from the SF slot? I dunno.

In a post Parker era...I could see Kawhi, Green, and Kyle being the top 3. With Kyle running point. That could be fun.

How POP uses this guy is gonna be real interesting.

SouthernFried
06-28-2014, 12:01 AM
:lol you're not actually expecting him to be anywhere near Magic tho, right? I mean, that's a huge fucking bar. Top 5 all-time bar...

lol. Magic was drafted at #1, Kyle #30. So, no...I don't think he will be Magic.

However, I think that's misleading. I think Kyle shoulda went around 15, imho. So, he may be a lot closer to Magic than his draft position indicates. It all depends if POP can utilize him. Every other coach didn't think they could use him. Which also kinda shows the difference between Magic and Kyle...I don't think any coach woulda had a problem being able to utilize Magic :)

TheGoldStandard
06-28-2014, 12:01 AM

If Kyle's natural position is PG (which I think it is.) Well...where in that rotation do you put him? That's a tuff one. I don't see him as a shooting guard or defensive guard. And definetly not in the 2 low post positions. Maybe you could have him run some plays from the SF slot? I dunno.

Let's not expect this guy to crack rotational minutes outside of spelling guys for DNP. He will be an end of bench guy who can come in and handle the ball and he can be paired with mills, Beli, baynes, Ayres etc. In fact he probably will help make Ayres look good as they develop together.

The 2nd and 3rd units are not defensive units, they're to maintain pace and score

Brazil
06-28-2014, 12:04 AM
:lol dude is a scrub

Bonner release is light speed compared to him

he is a cone on defense, cannot score at the rim, turnover prone... He fucking sucks

guess what ? It's normal he has been drafted at 30...

Brazil
06-28-2014, 12:05 AM
Also :lmao magic Johnson and Boris diaw comparaison

really ? :lmao

xmas1997
06-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Of course not, he just shows some of the same traits. But who really knows at this point? The jury is still out IMHO.

skulls138
06-28-2014, 11:31 AM
It all depends on his heart and patience and all that because he does have his weaknesses.

Raven
06-28-2014, 01:35 PM
If he can't get any faster he's gonna be useless in the NBA though. Point blank.

13% body fat, thats twice the needed. So yes

Raven
06-28-2014, 01:39 PM

In a post Parker era...I could see Kawhi, Green, and Kyle being the top 3. With Kyle running point. That could be fun.

That would actually be intriguing because green can defend pgs and leonard the sgs, so he could defend sfs. What you earn of that is that you dont need to hide undesized pgs like parker

Raven
06-28-2014, 01:44 PM
:lol dude is a scrub

Bonner release is light speed compared to him

he is a cone on defense, cannot score at the rim, turnover prone... He fucking sucks

guess what ? It's normal he has been drafted at 30...

All very true, but imo there is material to work on. Especially being to prone and the release are fixable.

G-Dawgg
06-28-2014, 01:53 PM
This kid can likely get by with his average athleticism due to the fact that he has such good lenth and excellent fundamental skills and court awareness.

objective
06-28-2014, 03:20 PM
The only other guys with his kind of numbers in history were picked #2 and #3, and for him at 20 years old from UCLA to barely scrape into the first round at #30 ... Should give a good idea about how athletically challenged he is.

Of all the posters celebrating Anderson, maybe 10% liked him before he was picked and would be posting about how they wanted him had the spurs gone with a different player like Stokes, Early, McDaniels, etc. The other 90% in the event of another player chosen would be mocking Anderson for his slowness and calling him a scrub.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Eh, I was expecting a draft and stash or trading down this time. Draft and stash would have meant taking a flyer on a young guy who hasn't developed yet. Instead, they are taking a flyer on a 20 year old who seems to already have a couple of NBA ready skills and NBA length.

There are no sure things at 30. Pretending another pick would have been more of a sure thing is folly.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Absolutely. If the spurs had a strength conditioning coach worth a rats ass you bet. BUT look at splitter. I have no idea how in the hell he has not shown any signs of explosive training. IF kyle would get stronger and more explosive he would be solid. However, I think probably a reason he skipped the combine drills were to not drop??? May not have been as big of a steal as most think/thought

"Slow-Mo," they call him.
But UCLA's Kyle Anderson doesn't seem to mind.
"It's a creative nickname," he said. "I don't think I'm playing slow out there. It's just a nickname. People may think I'm slow, but I don't think I'm playing slow."
Unfortunately (or not?) Anderson did not participate in this week's speed and agility drills, so we don't have the numbers. Anderson did get his measurements at the combine, though. The Bruins' lanky floor leader measured 6-foot-7.5 without shoes and had a 7-foot-2 wingspan.
DraftExpress.com's latest mock draft (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/) has Anderson going to the Jazz at No. 23.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 06:02 PM
You should sign up for the job.

GM/Strength and Conditioning Coach.

Vic Petro
06-28-2014, 06:23 PM

I'd guess the long term plan with him is to be a ball handler off the bench who can create shots out of pick and roll when Manu retires. He can be paired with Mills and Green or Leonard.

FkLA
06-28-2014, 08:16 PM
What slow player has enjoyed success out in the perimeter, especially as a ballhandler? Magic and Pierce are being brought up but those guys were good athletes. Guys like Dudley, Fields and Nando are more comparable IMO and they absolutely suck. Still think playing the stretch 4 is the best way to utilize him tbh.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 09:53 PM
You should sign up for the job.

GM/Strength and Conditioning Coach.

Possibly, I would also want to apply for all the college positions that have these coaches. How college players are trying out for nba and cannot bench 185 15 times is absurd. Literally tiago would have to properly stretch before a game and he could get 1 more inch to his 9inch vert.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Possibly, I would also want to apply for all the college positions that have these coaches. How college players are trying out for nba and cannot bench 185 15 times is absurd. Literally tiago would have to properly stretch before a game and he could get 1 more inch to his 9inch vert.How do you know he doesn't properly stretch?

You watch him before every game in the locker room and during shootaround?

What are your credentials for NBA S&T coach and GM?

tholdren
06-28-2014, 10:14 PM
How do you know he doesn't properly stretch?

You watch him before every game in the locker room and during shootaround?

What are your credentials for NBA S&T coach and GM?

several college degrees and certifications, as well as previous training and coaching experience.

pertaining to the GM I wouldnt want that job, I would have to justify my reasons to everyone on ST and you know how internet trolls are, they just dont know when to say when

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 10:23 PM
several college degrees and certifications, as well as previous training and coaching experience.

pertaining to the GM I wouldnt want that job, I would have to justify my reasons to everyone on ST and you know how internet trolls are, they just dont know when to say whenDid you learn what irony is stretching school?

To which teams are you sending resumes this week?

tholdren
06-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Did you learn what irony is stretching school?
there isn't a stretching school.

yavozerb
06-28-2014, 10:26 PM
:lol, holy shit, it took only couple of days for this thread to crap..Body fat % and stretching techniques...:lol, seriously

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 10:28 PM
there isn't a stretching school.Where did you learn stretching?

If it was at school, you attended stretching school.

tholdren
06-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Where did you learn stretching?

If it was at school, you attended stretching school.
not really. If I learned Chinese I didnt go to "chinese school" I went to a school that taught chinese. School is a nice place though. And stretching school would be comical.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Chinese stretching school.

This gets better and better.