PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Cotton

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 11:57 AM
http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/report-spurs-one-of-two-teams-to-sign-pg-bryce-cotton.html

DesignatedT
06-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are just interested in him playing for their SL team. It doesn't make sense to give him an actual free agent deal. They could have just drafted him if they wanted him that bad.

exstatic
06-29-2014, 12:03 PM
If they were to sign and cut him in camp, he'd go to the Toros. That's what I think this is.

BatManu20
06-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Yea they want to develop him ala Patty Mills. And he's actually a comparable player.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are just interested in him playing for their SL team. It doesn't make sense to give him an actual free agent deal. They could have just drafted him if they wanted him that bad.

Yes, it wouldn't be interesting except the article says, specifically, that it is NOT for a summer contract. Of course, the article could be wrong, but it dismissed that option early on.

DesignatedT
06-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Yes, it wouldn't be interesting except the article says, specifically, that it is NOT for a summer contract. Of course, the article could be wrong, but it dismissed that option early on.

Last paragraph of the article:

So at the moment, with no clear indications, this could be an actual free agent deal for a roster spot, or just a summer contract for Cotton to try to earn a position on the roster.

exstatic
06-29-2014, 12:18 PM

There was a "update" section at the end that implies he could be...

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Last paragraph of the article:

Yes, the last paragraph is the authour's SPECULATION that CONTRADICTS the SOURCE. From the SECOND paragraph where the author of the article is citing the actual SOURCE:

"Charania confirmed to Project Spurs that the deal wouldn’t just be a Summer League deal, but an actual free agent contract that would have to be signed after July 1."

Signing an undrafted FA to summer league would not really hold my attention. It would be boring, commonplace, and obvious. The prospects of what this article ACTUALLY reports, however, brings Patty, Cojo, and our dwindling roster spots into question.

The source, again, could be in error, but he "confirms" the opposite of what you are.

Chinook
06-29-2014, 12:35 PM
A summer contract isn't the same thing as a summer-league contract. Summer contracts are just real contracts, but they aren't guaranteed, even for injury. They're used for camp fodder for the most part.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2014, 12:46 PM
A summer contract isn't the same thing as a summer-league contract. Summer contracts are just real contracts, but they aren't guaranteed, even for injury. They're used for camp fodder for the most part.Yeah, he could already have a training camp invite, with the tacit understanding he'll be waived and Austin bound. The deal is good for the insurance, mainly. No need to read any more into it. There is always a chance Joseph will be traded, but there's no huge pressure to do so.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 12:48 PM
There was a "update" section at the end that implies he could be...

It wasn't an update. It was just wiggle room: "My source may be wrong." CYA. But, it was not new information, unless the mobile version of the site doesn't show the entire article with the update.

Chinook
06-29-2014, 01:14 PM
It wasn't an update. It was just wiggle room: "My source may be wrong." CYA. But, it was not new information, unless the mobile version of the site doesn't show the entire article with the update.

As I said above, the article is stating that Cotton may be signed to a summer contract (as opposed to a contract that would give him full injury guarantees if he gets hurt in camp). It's not saying he's being signed for the summer league in any event.

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Watched some clips. Obviously only highlights (no DX video hence no spotlight on weaknesses) but kid seems to thrive in big game situations. Played full four years in college.

DesignatedT
06-29-2014, 01:47 PM
I'd be more interested in Bo McCaleb if the spurs are indeed looking to let patty walk and sign another pg.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 02:21 PM
As I said above, the article is stating that Cotton may be signed to a summer contract (as opposed to a contract that would give him full injury guarantees if he gets hurt in camp). It's not saying he's being signed for the summer league in any event.

"It's not saying he's being signed for the summer league in any event."

Of course it doesn't say this. It doesn't say anyone's being signed at all. It's discussing a REPORT. But, even the report doesn't claim that he's being signed to summer league. That's how the conversation began.

The original reply was:

'I'm sure the Spurs are just interested in him playing for their SL team. It doesn't make sense to give him an actual free agent deal. They could have just drafted him if they wanted him that bad. '

Which refers to summer league, not summer contract. Then I referred him to this:

"Charania confirmed to Project Spurs that the deal wouldn’t just be a Summer League deal, but an actual free agent contract that would have to be signed after July 1."

Pretty cut and dried. Not a summer league deal, according to the source, despite DesignatedT's confidence that it was "just summer league". Only later did the issue of summer league vs. summer contract get introduced, unfortunately, incorrectly, as you point out.

You pointed out twice that the author was stating that it may be for a summer contract, rather than a signing for a full roster spot or summer league, which each entitle players to different rights. I read that. Thanks for stating it again. I am not sure what that has to do with it being an "update" or why you felt you needed to call attention to it a second time after the update comment, but thanks.

However, the last paragraph still wasn't an update...

"So at the moment,with no clear indications , this could be an actual free agent deal for a roster spot, or just a summer contract for Cotton to try to earn a position on the roster."

This is not an update by any stretch of the definition. A conclusion, summary, yes. It is just speculation about what his source meant by "not just a summer league deal". He doesn't know, nor does he introduce any new information. He also, earlier, speculated about if the "report" was actually "true", at all. But, all of this is written at the time of the original article. There are no editing time stamps or language to lead one to believe it was an update? No new information, just speculation about what the source meant, or would actually occur.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 02:23 PM
I'd be more interested in Bo McCaleb if the spurs are indeed looking to let patty walk and sign another pg.

For the record, I wouldn't even caution a guess as to who I think The Spurs FO is over-looking. I just thought I would share the information.

Chinook
06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
"It's not saying he's being signed for the summer league in any event."

Of course it doesn't say this. It doesn't say anyone's being signed at all. It's discussing a REPORT. But, even the report doesn't claim that he's being signed to summer league. That's how the conversation began.

The original reply was:

'I'm sure the Spurs are just interested in him playing for their SL team. It doesn't make sense to give him an actual free agent deal. They could have just drafted him if they wanted him that bad. '

Which refers to summer league, not summer contract. Then I referred him to this:

Pretty cut and dried. Not a summer league deal, according to the source, despite DesignatedT's confidence that it was "just summer league". Only later did the issue of summer league vs. summer contract get introduced, unfortunately, incorrectly, as you point out.

You pointed out twice that the author was stating that it may be for a summer contract, rather than a signing for a full roster spot or summer league, which each entitle players to different rights. I read that. Thanks for stating it again. I am not sure what that has to do with it being an "update" or why you felt you needed to call attention to it a second time after the update comment, but thanks.

However, the last paragraph still wasn't an update...

"So at the moment,with no clear indications , this could be an actual free agent deal for a roster spot, or just a summer contract for Cotton to try to earn a position on the roster."

This is not an update by any stretch of the definition. A conclusion, summary, yes. It is just speculation about what his source meant by "not just a summer league deal". He doesn't know, nor does he introduce any new information. He also, earlier, speculated about if the "report" was actually "true", at all. But, all of this is written at the time of the original article. There are no editing time stamps or language to lead one to believe it was an update? No new information, just speculation about what the source meant, or would actually occur.

Bro, I was agreeing with you and clarifying what was confusing people into believing the article was contradictory.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Bro, I was agreeing with you and clarifying what was confusing people into believing the article was contradictory.

It didn't sound so much like agreement. And, I did use summer league contract and summer contract loosely, incorrectly, and interchangably, later. But, cheers, all the same. Now we can move along with the rest of the thread that has scurried ahead to point out the mistakes the front office has made in choosing Bryce over their own superior picks!

ChumpDumper
06-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Eh, the Toros can use him if Kabongo latches on somewhere this summer.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 03:20 PM
*!UPDATE!*

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/report-cotton-durand-scott-to-play-with-spurs-at-summer-league.html

So, nothing about summer contract, or full roster position, but instead the thing it wasn't supposed to be. Of course, maybe the others could come, but Charnaria appears to be a bad source.

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 03:26 PM
If the Spurs interviewed Elfrid Payton and Shabazz Napier, and worked out Russ Smith, Bryce Cotton and Billy Baron...it seems they're actively looking for another PG. Unclear if that need/want has been satiated by drafting Anderson. Baron is a scoring PG, much like Cotton.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Mills insurance, in case he gets some kind of crazy offer, maybe.

Taking it to the Hole
06-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Lets hope he chooses to come to us instead of the Mavericks. He may figure he has a better chance of making the Mavs roster rather than ours so he may choose them over us. No doubt, I think the Spurs are anticipating Mills leaving and are making contingency plans. Have to wait a couple of days to see what kind of crazy offers are going to be made.

TheyCallMePro
06-29-2014, 07:58 PM
This guy was an absolute stud at Providence. Carried the hell out of that team and they should have beat UNC and moved on to the Sweet 16 in the tournament this year.

That said, the Spurs rarely give players with limited upside a chance. If they don't have the physical potential, then they have to prove themselves first like Patty Mills did with Portland and the Australian National Team. The only chance Cotton has at making the roster is if we lose Patty Mills in free agency, and the 3rd string PG spot becomes available. Also, he needs to ball out in both summer league and training camp. We'll see though, he's an interesting prospect if everything falls into place for him to make this team.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2014, 08:02 PM
With Parker-Mills-CoJo (and I think we pay Mills 18-24/4 to keep him) we certainly don't need another PG, so this sound like a Toros development stash to me.

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 12:03 AM
With Parker-Mills-CoJo (and I think we pay Mills 18-24/4 to keep him) we certainly don't need another PG, so this sound like a Toros development stash to me.

Time to bump this thread again, maybe.

Mel_13
07-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Time to bump this thread again, maybe.

A player like Cotton, for example, could be signed to a minimum contract with no guaranteed money or just a small guarantee, say 100K. The contract does not become fully guaranteed until January 10th, which is about the time that Mills could be returning.

So while they may sign an NBA vet for the role, they could also sign a player like Cotton to be a 3rd string PG and then cut him loose in January unless he's given them reason to retain him.

Not the most likely scenario, but not impossible.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 12:14 AM
They would probably bring in a vet to come off the bench and share minutes with cojo. If they think that Anderson will pan out as a point forward they will stand pat and get a backup SF

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 12:21 AM
A player like Cotton, for example, could be signed to a minimum contract with no guaranteed money or just a small guarantee, say 100K. The contract does not become fully guaranteed until January 10th, which is about the time that Mills could be returning.

So while they may sign an NBA vet for the role, they could also sign a player like Cotton to be a 3rd string PG and then cut him loose in January unless he's given them reason to retain him.

Not the most likely scenario, but not impossible.

Woj is reporting March. Tbh, just got off the phone with Woj and he told me which game and how many minutes he plays in his return. No spoilers.

‏@WojYahooNBA After surgery to repair torn rotator cuff, Patty Mills will likely be out until March, sources tell Yahoo. Spurs still want to re-sign him.

Mel_13
07-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Woj is reporting March. Tbh, just got off the phone with Woj and he told me which game and how many minutes he plays in his return. No spoilers.

‏@WojYahooNBA After surgery to repair torn rotator cuff, Patty Mills will likely be out until March, sources tell Yahoo. Spurs still want to re-sign him.

Yeah, the scenario was unlikely to begin with. Just about impossible with a March return.

The Spurs will be looking for vet PG willing to sign a one year minimum contract. Beno, anyone?

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Yeah, the scenario was unlikely to begin with. Just about impossible with a March return.

The Spurs will be looking for vet PG willing to sign a one year minimum contract. Beno, anyone?

Maybe they know that the March date is ultra-conservative. I predicted Dec/Jan based upon worst case recovery prognosis data back when we were getting flamed for over-reacting. Hard to believe it will be worse than worst case. But, they're lollygaggin' about getting it done, already. If recovery is going to take that long he should have been in OR that night! But, that's just me. Probably had lots of media to do, etc.

Chinook
07-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Let him compete with Denmon for the spot. That's much better than signing a vet.

Mel_13
07-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Maybe they know that the March date is ultra-conservative. I predicted Dec/Jan based upon worst case recovery prognosis data back when we were getting flamed for over-reacting. Hard to believe it will be worse than worst case. But, they're lollygaggin' about getting it done, already. If recovery is going to take that long he should have been in OR that night! But, that's just me. Probably had lots of media to do, etc.

Second opinions and such. I can imagine that he wanted to explore every possible option short of surgery. Still, it's less than two weeks since the parade.

Mel_13
07-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Let him compete with Denmon for the spot. That's much better than signing a vet.

I'd be fine with that. Let Cory know that there's no security blanket. He has to do the job.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 12:45 AM

Summer League will be an indication if they will go this route, they want to see progress before they decide to duct tape the first half of the season.

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 12:48 AM

I'm with you. I don't want to see a Jaques Vaughn signing, etc. I'm afraid.

Chinook
07-02-2014, 12:52 AM
I'd be fine with that. Let Cory know that there's no security blanket. He has to do the job.

And they need to start thinking about replacing him in 2015. I'd like to see someone develop in that role instead of looking at vets to sit on the bench.

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Troy Daniels

xmas1997
07-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Troy Daniels

I thought he was a Restricted Free Agent.

Ice009
07-02-2014, 12:58 AM
Troy Daniels

Is he a PG? I thought he was a SG?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2014, 01:15 AM

Not lollygagging. Would you want to pay for his surgery and then have him sign with another team? My guess is he's under the knife the day he signs a new deal.

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Well that went 0 to 60 pretty fast..."this deal would be for more than just summer league". I don't know if this will work out well, but that early report again, was spot on.

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Not lollygagging. Would you want to pay for his surgery and then have him sign with another team? My guess is he's under the knife the day he signs a new deal.

I'm pretty sure that's not how paying for the surgery works.

TD 21
07-02-2014, 07:19 PM

What's with you and Udrih? If an injury occurs to Parker or Joseph or they're just giving Parker an odd game off, him next to Belinelli and Ginobili, would comprise the slowest, least athletic trio of perimeter defenders in recent memory. Mills is no stopper, obviously, but at least he's speedy, aggressive and energetic, none of which describes Udrih.

As a general rule of thumb, when a player is a good fit and needs to be replaced (even if temporarily), it's best to look for someone similar.

Mel_13
07-02-2014, 07:23 PM
What's with you and Udrih? If an injury occurs to Parker or Joseph or they're just giving Parker an odd game off, him next to Belinelli and Ginobili, would comprise the slowest, least athletic trio of perimeter defenders in recent memory. Mills is no stopper, obviously, but at least he's speedy, aggressive and energetic, none of which describes Udrih.

As a general rule of thumb, when a player is a good fit and needs to be replaced (even if temporarily), it's best to look for someone similar.

How ya doin' TD21?

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 08:12 PM
How ya doin' TD21?

Mel, when you PM'ed me and said that mentioning Beno would bring TD21 out of the woodwork, I didn't believe you. Props.

jjktkk
07-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Mel, when you PM'ed me and said that mentioning Beno would bring TD21 out of the woodwork, I didn't believe you. Props.

:lol