PDA

View Full Version : Baynes and Daye contract situation

ace3g
06-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Jeff McDonald @JMcDonald_SAEN
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)Some housekeeping: Spurs have tendered qualifying offer to Aron Baynes, retaining right to match offers when free agency opens.

(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)Austin Daye's contract for 2014-15 becomes fully guaranteed at $1.036 million Tuesday. Only owed $250K if waived by then.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Not surprised. Baynes has been developing nicely in tha Spurs system and with Daye, the Spurs usually keep guys with potential for a 2nd season. Daye will be hitting the weight room and working with Chip this summer. The kid has some game. Good move by the Spurs to see if they can actualize his potential.

DesignatedT
06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Happy to hear about Baynes.

Ron Swanson
06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Happy to hear about Baynes.

I am too.

exstatic
06-29-2014, 12:14 PM
(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)Some housekeeping: Spurs have tendered qualifying offer to Aron Baynes, retaining right to match offers when free agency opens.

(https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)Austin Daye's contract for 2014-15 becomes fully guaranteed at $1.036 million Tuesday. Only owed $250K if waived by then.

I'd be shocked if they kept Daye.

palangi
06-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Well get your shocked face ready. :wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

loveforthegame
06-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Good news about Baynes. :tu

I'd be a little surprised if the Spurs don't take a longer look at Daye.

palangi
06-29-2014, 12:22 PM

I'd like to see both guys back. I believe daye has potential to really help the spurs. His second year in the system will be a big benefit to him.
I would think this is baynes last year to show he can get himself more prepared.

elemento
06-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Happy for Baynes

100%duncan
06-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Keep Baynes tbh. Waive Daye, insert Kyle.

exstatic
06-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Well get your shocked face ready. :wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

We'll see in the next 36 hours, or so.

spursparker9
06-29-2014, 12:24 PM
If Bertans is not coming over then it is better to keep Daye

palangi
06-29-2014, 12:27 PM
potential is there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHl1dmMnyAM

exstatic
06-29-2014, 12:33 PM
potential is there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHl1dmMnyAM

ONE

GAME

palangi
06-29-2014, 12:36 PM
ONE

GAME
there wasn't a lot of opportunities. But he did have a few good games.

Listen I am not saying this guy is an all star or anything. But I do believe he would be a more effective matt bonner.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Definitely keep Daye if Bonner is gone. Otherwise maybe -- no need to pinch pennies this offseason. Unless they have someone we don't know about coming on.

SupremeGuy
06-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Good news, tbh.

I think they both have potential.

:flag:

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Daye didn't have a few good games, he had one good shooting game, against a wholly uncompetitive team. Every other time he played he couldn't hit water if he'd shot the ball off of a boat. Daye has done absolutely nothing in his career to give evidence that he's even an NBA-caliber player, never mind a player who can be a "more effective Matt Bonner."

palangi
06-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Daye didn't have a few good games, he had one good shooting game, against a wholly uncompetitive team. Every other time he played he couldn't hit water if he'd shot the ball off of a boat. Daye has done absolutely nothing in his career to give evidence that he's even an NBA-caliber player, never mind a player who can be a "more effective Matt Bonner."

DATE
OPP
SCORE
MIN
FGM-FGA
FG%
3PM-3PA
3P%
FTM-FTA
FT%
REB
AST
BLK
STL
PF
TO
PTS

Wed 4/16

vs

LAL (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lal/los-angeles-lakers)

L 100-113 (http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=400490094)
4-6
1-2
4-6

Fri 3/28

@

DEN (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/den/denver-nuggets)

W 133-102 (http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=400489957)
4-7
3-4
0-0

benefactor
06-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Baynes:tu...I don't expect him to get any big offers unless some team is just desperate for a big. Fully expect the Spurs to match anything south of 4 million per season.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 01:19 PM
ONE

GAME

He only played one or two "whole" games, and was injured toward the end of RS. He totalled about 120 minutes the whole time he was here, and 1/3-1/4 of it was in that "one game". It's not even fair to say his "second year" will be better because he hasn't even had a first.

Anderson's presence makes his position more precarious, maybe, and they might pay him 250k to go away, but:

They have him on a strength and conditioning plan.
He was very visble during the playoffs and celebrations (Damien James was not).
They substituted him in real game situations quickly after arriving from Toronto.
Ace3g once commented on him getting coached up a little behind the scenes.
And, lastly, they haven't released him, yet.

I won't be shocked either way, we have a great roster, but there seems to be some circumstantial indicators that they might have plans for him.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-29-2014, 01:24 PM
I was rooting for them to keep Baynes. I hope his playoff performance earned him some extra minutes in 14-15. Duncan, Splitter, Baynes is a darn good rotation.

I like Daye and i think his potential and corporate knowledge should pay off. He's a bargain at 1 mill. Maybe even a trade asset.

I still think development minutes spent on Daye would be better spent on Bertans and LJC.

BackHome
06-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I agree keep Baynes will need the big boy against Grizz and Houston and would rather have Bertans come over now.

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 01:35 PM
He only played one or two "whole" games, and was injured toward the end of RS. He totalled about 120 minutes the whole time he was here, and 1/3-1/4 of it was in that "one game". It's not even fair to say his "second year" will be better because he hasn't even had a first.

Anderson's presence makes his position more precarious, maybe, and they might pay him 250k to go away, but:

They have him on a strength and conditioning plan.
He was very visble during the playoffs and celebrations (Damien James was not).
They substituted him in real game situations quickly after arriving from Toronto.
Ace3g once commented on him getting coached up a little behind the scenes.
And, lastly, they haven't released him, yet.

I won't be shocked either way, we have a great roster, but there seems to be some circumstantial indicators that they might have plans for him.
About Damion James, I read somewhere he was purposely left out of the playoff roster to work individually while the rest of the team plays. So was Daye, I think, but James never travelled with the team to Miami. Had clear mandate to stay home.

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Baynes:tu...I don't expect him to get any big offers unless some team is just desperate for a big. Fully expect the Spurs to match anything south of 4 million per season.
I hope no team with someone from Coach Pop's coaching tree snatches him up. Can easily see Brett Brown trying to pry him away. If he walks I hope Gustavo Ayon can still resuscitate his career with the Spurs. Spurs were interested in him last year; would have probably signed him if Ayres weren't at play.

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Can totally see Daye be the new Bonner, and Spurs will milk his contract year. Bye Matt, it was fun while it lasted.

cd021
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
there wasn't a lot of opportunities. But he did have a few good games.

Listen I am not saying this guy is an all star or anything. But I do believe he would be a more effective matt bonner.

The problem is the position. He isn't really big enough to be a full time PF and as a backup SF Ginobili already plays there along with competition from Anderson. the Spurs could probably do better.

Bonner can defend the post and his rep. as a lethal shooter keeps his defender glued to him, even when he isn't even knocking down or attempting shots. As a PF thats very valuable. Between signing re-signing Bonner for $1.45 (the min.) or Daye for $1 million, i'd probably go with Bonner.

cd021
06-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know the specs of Bertans deal. I've heard rumors that he may come over this season but on Project Spurs they mentioned that he is still under contract for a couple of years (probably has an out in it)

ginobilized
06-29-2014, 01:51 PM
I like the idea of Daye and Anderson competing hard in training camp and in regular season. That coming up through the ranks approach is a real staple of Pop's system. My guess is that these two will be fighting for the same minutes and it should add some fire to the camp and bring out the best in each player. Good for the team and good for each player. If they waive Daye, it gives Anderson less pressure, I'd guess. Training camp should be a dogfight from the get go, so my bet is that they keep Daye.

tim_duncan_fan
06-29-2014, 01:58 PM
2014-2015 will be the year of Baynes.

I am too excited.

I believe Baynes can be a 20 and 10 guy.

CGD
06-29-2014, 02:05 PM
As the league moves more and more away from the traditional post up player, I can see the Dayes and Anderson's of the world doing OK. The lack low of post skill in the NBA these days is laughable at the positions they'd being guarding. The only challenge against bigger bodies is really rebounding. Each of Daye and Anderson have great length which should help in that area

Mr. Body
06-29-2014, 02:12 PM
I'd take Bonner for one more year over Daye for the size and post defense alone. I wish the best for Daye but this roster is stacked and saving three quarters of a million will be helpful. Maybe see him down the line but I don't think he stays.

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Bye Bonner you bonafied choke artist! We don't have to see you brick 3's when it matters, and hit them during trash time (finally) ... Hello Daye

tholdren
06-29-2014, 02:24 PM
I'd take Bonner for one more year over Daye for the size and post defense alone. I wish the best for Daye but this roster is stacked and saving three quarters of a million will be helpful. Maybe see him down the line but I don't think he stays.

Agreed. Bonner is better on defense, Daye is a slow, anti-athlete who can play one dimensional basketball...

4lifecowboy
06-29-2014, 02:27 PM

Wow I saw a player in Daye, in the short time he was on the floor with way more potential to contribute on both ends of the floor than Bonner ever been able to do. He can stretch the defense playing the 4, his help defense in the post is under rated, he is way more athletic than most seem to give him credit for. I look forward to him showing off his skills in summer league.

playbonner15
06-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Mr. Body speaking the TRUTH

4lifecowboy
06-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Agreed. Bonner is better on defense, Daye is a slow, anti-athlete who can play one dimensional basketball...

anti- athlete? Who have you been watching? He isn't Kawhi athletic but he is at least twice the athlete that Bonner is. Revisit your assessment after summer league.

jeebus
06-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Keep Baynes, say bye to One Game Daye, drop Ayres in the middle of the pacific on a rowboat, let Anderson get Daye's minutes, resign Mills/Diaw, sign a summer leaguer to ride the bench or just leave it open.

CGD
06-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Pop started Matty on Ibaka in the WCF, and he was unable to punish Matt in the post. He is the best example of today's PFs: uber athletes with nonexistent post games. If Daye was more familiar witht the system I can see Pop starting Daye in that situation next year

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
The problem is the position. He isn't really big enough to be a full time PF and as a backup SF Ginobili already plays there along with competition from Anderson. the Spurs could probably do better.

Bonner can defend the post and his rep. as a lethal shooter keeps his defender glued to him, even when he isn't even knocking down or attempting shots. As a PF thats very valuable. Between signing re-signing Bonner for $1.45 (the min.) or Daye for $1 million, i'd probably go with Bonner.

Yes. I think Daye can, eventually, fill Bonner's shooting role, but there is just no way he can come in to play against some of the bigs that Matty played spot minutes against. So, they're not as interchangeable as a lot on the board seem to think. Regarding Ginobili, though, his minutes will probably decrease a little, don't you think?

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 03:03 PM
I was rooting for them to keep Baynes. I hope his playoff performance earned him some extra minutes in 14-15. Duncan, Splitter, Baynes is a darn good rotation.

I like Daye and i think his potential and corporate knowledge should pay off. He's a bargain at 1 mill. Maybe even a trade asset.

I still think development minutes spent on Daye would be better spent on Bertans and LJC.

Are we spending the development minutes on Skype? Cuz, they ain't coming! Or, at least, every indication that I have read is that next year maybe, this year no. So, if we fantasy nix Daye, let's replace him with someone that is realistically available to contribute. Bertans and LJC don't appear to be.

spurraider21
06-29-2014, 03:20 PM
i would think Kyle Anderson was going to take Daye's spot, and they would use the MLE to fill Bonner's spot

FireMicoHalili
06-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Well...the best thing about this thread is the FO won't pull off any of these moves while several 'bloggers' leech off our ideas and say "Spurs may be interested in.."

letmk
06-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Bonner was exposed when he was used as the 2nd or 3rd big. But he is more than capable enough to be a 4th or 5th big. There is a reason that he is the only one other than big 3 to have the last two champions.

While Daye has not even proved he can be a legit NBA player yet. Of course, Bonner might retire and Daye might have a chance to develop. But as of now, there is no comparison.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-29-2014, 04:17 PM

I bet Daye plays more for the Spurs than Ayers does next year.

jeebus
06-29-2014, 04:18 PM
I bet Daye plays more for the Spurs than Ayers does next year.
Depends on if Pop has a raging boner for Errors like he did last regular season.

EVAY
06-29-2014, 04:23 PM
I hope they keep Baynes. I like the guy a lot. He needs sooooo much work, though. If they can teach him how to play without fouling ALL the players on the court, including his own, and rebound for us, I think he could be a good back up center behind Splitter in a couple of years.

superbigtime
06-29-2014, 07:17 PM
nice news about Baynes. Daye, who knows. I can't believe I'm saying this but Matt Bonner may actually be more preferable (depending on how much $ he commands).

ElNono
06-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Baynes gave us key minutes in the Dallas series... glad to see the Spurs plan to keep him if he doesn't get an outrageous offer sheet.

Daye contract is cheap, generally speaking, but he'll have to make strides on defense to stay with the team.

exstatic
06-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Baynes gave us key minutes in the Dallas series... glad to see the Spurs plan to keep him if he doesn't get an outrageous offer sheet.

Daye contract is cheap, generally speaking, but he'll have to make strides on defense to stay with the team.

If they're going to cut him, they will do it by tomorrow night when they can save $750K, or he'll likely stick for the year. He becomes fully guaranteed if they don't axe him by then.

ElNono
06-29-2014, 07:33 PM
If they're going to cut him, they will do it by tomorrow night when they can save $750K, or he'll likely stick for the year. He becomes fully guaranteed if they don't axe him by then.

yeah, I was thinking they might let him walk and re-sign him for the minimum if he wanted to stay, but he's a 5 year vet already, the min is actually basically what he's going to get.

they gotta give him a ring too, I thinking he might stay...

Mugen
06-29-2014, 07:37 PM

:lol summertime Spurstalk in full effect tbh

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Must keep Baynes (he is a future starter, or at least 3rd big with another year or two of development), hope we keep Bonner for the minimum (very dependable stretch 4), lose Daye (he's not an NBA player).

TD 21
06-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Since they acquired him, I thought they'd retain Daye and let Bonner walk, but now I'm thinking otherwise, for two reasons:

1) Even though Daye's best utilized as a stretch four, he can really only defend the position in select match-ups. This is important because, with Diaw aging and again playing for France this summer, they might want to rest him more next season. If not, if he succumbs to injury, then what? They'd be forced to play Daye solid minutes regardless of match-up.

2) The drafting of Anderson. Though more of a play making three (he lacks the strength to defend PF's in anything more than select match-ups), he's another defenseless forward, that lacks athleticism. They don't need three. They'd also probably prefer to leave a roster spot open, or at least fill it with a wing defender in the mold of James.

rmt
06-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Wish they could get rid of Ayres and keep Baynes and Daye. That good for nothing Ayres is just like Jackie Butler. Spurs should think twice before listening to "advice" of asst coach/"friend" coach (Larry Brown). That Jackie Butler contract helped contribute to losing Scola.

TheyCallMePro
06-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Sounds like both are staying. Kinda disappointed, as I don't believe either has shown much promise thus far and I'd really like to see some of the new guys get a chance (Bertans, Denmon, Anderson).

Daye is kinda interesting. Baynes is what he is. A bruising big who can't shoot and has an extremely limited role regardless.

rmt
06-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Sounds like both are staying. Kinda disappointed, as I don't believe either has shown much promise thus far and I'd really like to see some of the new guys get a chance (Bertans, Denmon, Anderson).

Daye is kinda interesting. Baynes is what he is. A bruising big who can't shoot and has an extremely limited role regardless.

As long as they're both cheap, it's fine. Hope Bonner's only getting veteran's minimum if he isn't retiring.

Captivus
06-29-2014, 08:14 PM
i would think Kyle Anderson was going to take Daye's spot, and they would use the MLE to fill Bonner's spot

That makes too much sense...wont happen.

CGD
06-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Since they acquired him, I thought they'd retain Daye and let Bonner walk, but now I'm thinking otherwise, for two reasons:

1) Even though Daye's best utilized as a stretch four, he can really only defend the position in select match-ups. This is important because, with Diaw aging and again playing for France this summer, they might want to rest him more next season. If not, if he succumbs to injury, then what? They'd be forced to play Daye solid minutes regardless of match-up.

You don't think that Daye can guard postmove-less Ibaka on the elbow in spot minutes and bother his 15ft jumper with his length? Even if he just plays solid team defense (ala Beli) the threat on offense is enough to make Ibaka respect him on D.

TD 21
06-29-2014, 08:32 PM
You don't think that Daye can guard postmove-less Ibaka on the elbow in spot minutes and bother his 15ft jumper with his length? Even if he just plays solid team defense (ala Beli) the threat on offense is enough to make Ibaka respect him on D.

Given that Duncan isn't going to play more than high 20s mpg and Splitter isn't going to average much more than 20 mpg and that, between them, Ayres and Baynes, none has range beyond 18 (and the one who has range to 18 struggled from mid range last season), if Diaw goes down, they'd need Daye for significant minutes.

You can literally find a PF on almost every team that he'd have no shot at defending in the post and enough have credible enough threats at C that he couldn't be hid on them either. The lack of a true defensive position makes it virtually impossible for him to be a rotation player.

He's clearly talented enough offensively to be a deep bench option, but again, with Anderson on board, I can see them valuing either an open roster spot or a depth wing defender more.

cd021
06-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Yes. I think Daye can, eventually, fill Bonner's shooting role, but there is just no way he can come in to play against some of the bigs that Matty played spot minutes against. So, they're not as interchangeable as a lot on the board seem to think. Regarding Ginobili, though, his minutes will probably decrease a little, don't you think?

The question is can he fill that role now, a roster spot is too valuable at the moment. With Anderson and the spurs likely to retain every other FA, cutting Daye would allow the spurs to use the MLE to fill out the final spot. Probably about the same 24 mpg. I don't think he he'd drop below 20. He could sit more games to rest with Beli taking a bigger role.

ceperez
06-29-2014, 08:50 PM
How about this lineup for the 2nd team:

Anderson - PG 6'9"
Manu - SG 6'6"
Daye - SF 6'11"
Diaw - PF 6'8"
Baynes - C 6'10"

Hmmm.... extremely long.... extremely slow.

jag
06-29-2014, 09:05 PM

:lol oh yeah?

DesignatedT
06-29-2014, 09:13 PM
:lol

jeebus
06-29-2014, 09:14 PM
Daye is kinda interesting.
What's interesting about him? The only thing he has shown so far is the ability to make some threes against the worst team in the NBA. He didn't show up in any of his other games. He can't play defense. He makes Kevin Durant look like prime Schwarzenegger. There's nothing interesting about him. We got guys in Europe who can do his job as well prospects in the Toros.

jeebus
06-29-2014, 09:16 PM
:lol oh yeah?
http://media.giphy.com/media/gjCPjdfOJuP9C/giphy.gif

spurraider21
06-29-2014, 09:16 PM
What's interesting about him? The only thing he has shown so far is the ability to make some threes against the worst team in the NBA. He didn't show up in any of his other games. He can't play defense. He makes Kevin Durant look like prime Schwarzenegger. There's nothing interesting about him. We got guys in Europe who can do his job as well prospects in the Toros.
:lol

tim_duncan_fan
06-29-2014, 09:23 PM
If David Lee can do it, so can Baynes.

Believe!

CGD
06-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Given that Duncan isn't going to play more than high 20s mpg and Splitter isn't going to average much more than 20 mpg and that, between them, Ayres and Baynes, none has range beyond 18 (and the one who has range to 18 struggled from mid range last season), if Diaw goes down, they'd need Daye for significant minutes.

You can literally find a PF on almost every team that he'd have no shot at defending in the post and enough have credible enough threats at C that he couldn't be hid on them either. The lack of a true defensive position makes it virtually impossible for him to be a rotation player.

He's clearly talented enough offensively to be a deep bench option, but again, with Anderson on board, I can see them valuing either an open roster spot or a depth wing defender more.

looking at our last two playoff opponents, none possess a PF with a punishing post game. Ibaka and bosh love hanging out on the elbows for that 15 ft jumper. I'm not saying he's ideal, but in certain situations Daye isn't completely unless on D in spot minutes. The NBA has changed a lot, and one of the biggest ways is in the PF position. It's the reason why pop was able to get away with starting bonner in the OKC series

TD 21
06-29-2014, 09:34 PM
looking at our last two playoff opponents, none possess a PF with a punishing post game. Ibaka and bosh love hanging out on the elbows for that 15 ft jumper. I'm not saying he's ideal, but in certain situations Daye isn't completely unless on D in spot minutes. The NBA has changed a lot, and one of the biggest ways is in the PF position. It's the reason why pop was able to get away with starting bonner in the OKC series

They account for 2 out of the other 29. Most teams have someone who's a decent enough threat to punish him. Heck, I remember Young posting him for profit and he's more SF than PF.

Certain match-ups . . . so you agree with me. He's fine as a deep bench option, not as a rotation player, which he'd have to be in the scenario I outlined.

The difference between him and Bonner is, the latter has a defined defensive position, which means he can be a rotation player regardless of match-up, if necessary, which it would be in the event Diaw were injured.

If Anderson didn't fall to them and Capela or Bogdanovic did, they more than likely go draft and stash and this probably all becomes irrelevant, since they'd retain an open roster spot.

littlecoyotecoin
06-29-2014, 10:23 PM
The question is can he fill that role now, a roster spot is too valuable at the moment. With Anderson and the spurs likely to retain every other FA, cutting Daye would allow the spurs to use the MLE to fill out the final spot. Probably about the same 24 mpg. I don't think he he'd drop below 20. He could sit more games to rest with Beli taking a bigger role.

Yes. We're getting short on roster spots. I know he might not get a spot, now. When Anderson was drafted I worried about Daye. I was confident before that. I've said it too much, but since it was asked, I like his passing off the drives past the close-out defender, etc. Passing in general. He is so adept with the ball. Better ball handler than Matty or Danny. His shooting stroke I like, for sure, if he can be consistent. Blocks and disrupted passing lanes. His salary. His pedigree. That's all interesting. Once he gets headed to the basket, I could see him making a lot of dishes to big men, or finishing. He can score. In this system he might be a monster, considering what he cost, especially.

It's a joke to hear people say he "hasn't shown much" when he hasn't gotten a training camp in and only 115 minutes of play, total, spread over 14 games, the last few of which he was injured and had strep throat and was probably just trying to fit in. Finley struggled with that, Jefferson, etc. He did well enough, given that, and even had some flashes of brilliance that are always dismissed for one reason or another. I would like to see him get a full year after training camp. He may not improve. If so, I'm all for moving on.

All that being said, we'll do just fine without him if he's cut. What an embarrassment of riches.

spursfan1000
06-29-2014, 11:07 PM
I see Baynes on the roster for sure next season, I also see Daye too but him being 70/30.

aussie91
06-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Baynes has only been playing basketball since he was 16 so if the spurs continue to develop him he can become a serviceable player.

Leetonidas
06-30-2014, 02:10 AM
Baynes :tu

Daye :td

Leetonidas
06-30-2014, 02:11 AM
2014-2015 will be the year of Baynes.

I am too excited.

http://snd1.splashpress1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/double_facepalm.jpg

mudyez
06-30-2014, 04:13 AM
I don't see us using the MLE, but also don't see us going into season without any open rosterspots (or at least go out there askig certain guys if the MLE would do it).

Tiago/Aaron/Ayers
Timmy/Boris/Bonner/Daye
Kawhi/Belinelli/Anderson
Danny/Patty
Tony/Manu/CoJo

...doesn't leave us any room, so I'd think either Bonner or Daye (maybe both) are gone.

BTW, how is the situation regarding the Torros? Can Daye and Banes still play there?

bluebellmaniac
06-30-2014, 04:17 AM
How about this lineup for the 2nd team:

Anderson - PG 6'9"
Manu - SG 6'6"
Daye - SF 6'11"
Diaw - PF 6'8"
Baynes - C 6'10"

Hmmm.... extremely long.... extremely slow.

More likely that Splitter would be the backup C, so replace Baynes with Splitter at 6'11" and you got it.

4lifecowboy
06-30-2014, 04:27 AM
Daye is in the same situation as Anderson, they both land on a team that will highlight their best attributes. Daye will be '15 Patty Mills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iio4wlDD_5s

Prime Time
06-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Bonner is surprisingly mobile, you know.. for being Bonner. Ibaka would just blow past Daye/Diaw on any given moment. Matt is also useful against teams who try to pack the paint, a la teams like Memphis or the '13 Lakers. Not only is he quick and can make threes, but his off-the dribble game isn't all too bad considering how consistent his floater is. Bonner, for being a scrub, is actually quite useful given some match-ups.

That's why I feel Spurs need a somewhat quick stretch-forward if they're letting Bonner go. Daye can stretch the floor, but he's not quick. Bertans would be ideal if he could bulk up a tiny bit.

CGD
06-30-2014, 05:25 AM
They account for 2 out of the other 29. Most teams have someone who's a decent enough threat to punish him. Heck, I remember Young posting him for profit and he's more SF than PF.

Certain match-ups . . . so you agree with me. He's fine as a deep bench option, not as a rotation player, which he'd have to be in the scenario I outlined.

The difference between him and Bonner is, the latter has a defined defensive position, which means he can be a rotation player regardless of match-up, if necessary, which it would be in the event Diaw were injured.

If Anderson didn't fall to them and Capela or Bogdanovic did, they more than likely go draft and stash and this probably all becomes irrelevant, since they'd retain an open roster spot.

There are more than just those two (WCF and nba finals opponents btw) that lack a credible PF post threat. Any PFs on last years Lakers with monster post skills (Pau is a Center)? Also that game against the Sixers you reference shows the benefit of having Daye out there -- he nailed 6 wide open threes because the slower PF couldn't recover to him. Its a game of match ups and trade offs, and the spurs won that one.

I agree with you that Daye isn't for every game and that match ups would dictate playing time. Baynes is the best example of that. Daye would also be situational, etc.

My point is that that defensive liability argument against keeping Daye is overblown. Their are less and less Zach Randolphs and Tim Duncans in the league, and more and more Ibakas and Boshs that do their offensive damage from 15ft. It's just the way the league is heading.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 10:15 AM

There is plenty to pick on, but you chose poorly. You can dislike him, but your assessment of his shooting while here in SA is borderline misinformation, not opinion. He shot .414 from behind the arc in his 14 games and 115 minutes here. The last 14 minutes he was coming off a pulled muscle in his back and Strep Throat. You can't ask much more from him. He had little opportunity, coming in late in the season, missing all but 1 Toros game, no training camp, and being at the end of the bench. There is no reason to believe that in this system, like Marco, and others, he could not continue to excel in that role. He will get wide open looks and he won't get them blocked.

His second game here, vs the Heat, he came in and nailed 2 of 2 three pointers.

He had a good game in the D-league on the one game he went down, 27 points and a versatile game. Not his best shooting night, but he shot 13/14 from the free throw line, 13 rebounds, etc.

He had a great game vs Denver 4/7 from the field, 3/4 from three, 2 rebounds, an assist. 11 points in 11 minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dayeau01/gamelog/2014/

Regarding his history, he's been in some shit situations. He might not thrive under better conditions, but he's not entirely at fault for Detroit, etc.

Expecting much more from a guy that played 114 minutes, and shot .414 from 3 is a little greedy and unreasonable considering he's the 14th guy on the bench.

BackHome
06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Bonner used to guard Shaq/Howard I laugh at the thought of Austin every guarding Shaq/Howard. The dude would have his chest caved in and be broken in two pieces guarding those two players.

People on the site fall in love way to quickly with players who are scrubs just look back at all the post about - Harrington, Pops, White, etc....With the pick of Andeson - Slow Mo........I just don't see them keeping Austin another- Slow Mo player.

Mr. Body
06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
I just think the Spurs bank that $750k by cutting Daye. They have shooting covered in spades. It's not like they won't be able to try to sign him later in the season if they'd like to. If not, it' snot a massive loss.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Bonner used to guard Shaq/Howard I laugh at the thought of Austin every guarding Shaq/Howard. The dude would have his chest caved in and be broken in two pieces guarding those two players.

People on the site fall in love way to quickly with players who are scrubs just look back at all the post about - Harrington, Pops, White, etc....With the pick of Andeson - Slow Mo........I just don't see them keeping Austin another- Slow Mo player.

I lol at people that say Mugsy Bogues can guard Lebron James. Mugsy would get crushed, huhhuh ha huh huh. Even though those fictional people are fictional, I still laugh - huh huh. And RC Pop is a dumb guy he pick a guy named slow. Huh huh. His name slow! He no can play.

I'm pretty sure Daye can guard Shaq. Shaq's in the booth, and can't shoot the 3. And, I challenge you to find any post where anyone has been suggesting that Daye guard Howard. Reggie Miller did not guard Shaq and Malone. Prince doesn't guard Howard. Where are you getting this stuff? Just a few posts back we were saying the exact same thing, that Daye might be able to fill Bonner's shooting role, but not his role as a defender against big bodies. Links please. Hang out here where fewer people say stupid shit like that. What have you been reading?

SilverSpur
06-30-2014, 10:55 AM
One game where he was allowed to play. What would you be saying if he'd missed those shots. Keep him on the roster and in the weight room.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
I just think the Spurs bank that $750k by cutting Daye. They have shooting covered in spades. It's not like they won't be able to try to sign him later in the season if they'd like to. If not, it' snot a massive loss.

It is hard to tell if the coaching staff believes in keeping Daye or not.

Daye used to play point guard and has shown that he knows when to make the pass. If anything, that's what's going to keep Daye in the team.

It's 6/30/2014 and we haven't heard yet from the Spurs... we'll know pretty soon whether Daye is history or not.

spurraider21
06-30-2014, 12:05 PM
i think we're running short on roster spots, considering first round picks come with guaranteed deal. i dont see the appeal of keeping Daye at all... assuming we retain Boris and Patty (we have more than enough means to do so, tbh. we can easily go above the cap/below the tax threshold and keep them). the baynes QO tells me they're likely to keep him.

1) Tim
2) Tony
3) Kawhi
4) Manu
5) Splitter
6) Green
7) Diaw
8) Mills
9) Belinelli
10) Baynes
11) Joseph
12) Anderson
13) Ayres
14) Daye's spot
15) Bonner's spot

we will also have access to the full MLE if they choose to go that route (considering the slew of expiring deals after this coming season, they might as well use it)... they can and probably should keep bonner on a reduced number, somewhere near the minimum and use the MLE to upgrade Daye's spot. Bonner actually has a role carved out on our team situationally. i think we're the only team in the NBA where we have to nitpick about the 2 inactive roster spots (14 and 15) :lol

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
i think we're running short on roster spots, considering first round picks come with guaranteed deal. i dont see the appeal of keeping Daye at all... assuming we retain Boris and Patty (we have more than enough means to do so, tbh. we can easily go above the cap/below the tax threshold and keep them). the baynes QO tells me they're likely to keep him.

1) Tim
2) Tony
3) Kawhi
4) Manu
5) Splitter
6) Green
7) Diaw
8) Mills
9) Belinelli
10) Baynes
11) Joseph
12) Anderson
13) Ayres
14) Daye's spot
15) Bonner's spot

we will also have access to the full MLE if they choose to go that route (considering the slew of expiring deals after this coming season, they might as well use it)... they can and probably should keep bonner on a reduced number, somewhere near the minimum and use the MLE to upgrade Daye's spot. Bonner actually has a role carved out on our team situationally. i think we're the only team in the NBA where we have to nitpick about the 2 inactive roster spots (14 and 15) :lol

Yes, and while we can disagree about Daye, we totally agree about the embarassment of riches. So comfortable with this roster we are. The only option I see of keeping Daye and a roster spot open is not exercising the team option on Cojo. He has a team option 2 million coming to him this year, he is solidly third in the PG rotation now if Patty stays. That's a pretty penny for the backup's backup. We have Parker, Patty, Manu, and as a fourth string point guard we have Kyle Anderson. Defensively he's not a good replacement for Cojo, but he could run the O in the minutes Cojo got - garbage time. That would leave us a roster spot open, save money, Daye would be spared the axe, and the well-liked Bryce Cotton might be able to be called up on 10-day contracts from the Toros in cases of injury to multiple point guards.

I know that Cojo is well-liked. I like him, too. Not suggesting we do this, but just floating the option out there. I could be misunderstanding the contract, also, but I think that is correct.

Nevermind the Cojo option for 2014-2015 was already exercised in October of 2013, I think. If Daye fills out that 15th spot it will sure tell us a lot about how they feel about him.

Only options left are trades, I guess.

exstatic
06-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Yes, and while we can disagree about Daye, we totally agree about the embarassment of riches. So comfortable with this roster we are. The only option I see of keeping Daye and a roster spot open is not exercising the team option on Cojo. He has a team option 2 million coming to him this year, he is solidly third in the PG rotation now if Patty stays. That's a pretty penny for the backup's backup. We have Parker, Patty, Manu, and as a fourth string point guard we have Kyle Anderson. Defensively he's not a good replacement for Cojo, but he could run the O in the minutes Cojo got - garbage time. That would leave us a roster spot open, save money, Daye would be spared the axe, and the well-liked Bryce Cotton might be able to be called up on 10-day contracts from the Toros in cases of injury to multiple point guards.

I know that Cojo is well-liked. I like him, too. Not suggesting we do this, but just floating the option out there. I could be misunderstanding the contract, also, but I think that is correct.

Nevermind the Cojo option for 2014-2015 was already exercised in October of 2013, I think. If Daye fills out that 15th spot it will sure tell us a lot about how they feel about him.

They had to decide on Cojos option for NEXT year before LAST year, and it was picked up and is guarateed.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 01:08 PM
They had to decide on Cojos option for NEXT year before LAST year, and it was picked up and is guarateed.

Yes, thank you. I had gone back and edited that while you were reading, probably. Sorry.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 01:08 PM

Only options left are trades, I guess.

An embarassment of riches.

I think nobody predicted that Anderson would fall all the way to the Spurs. Now that the Spurs have him, it is becoming a problem of who to cut to make room.

The Spurs typically would like to have 14 and 15 open for a veteran or d-league call up. If they keep everyone, the Spurs don't have that luxury.

If Anderson or Daye can show some competence at the PF slot then I would waive Ayres. Also Baynes has already taken Ayres space in the rotation. But why waive a player that's only making less than $2m a year?

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 01:16 PM
An embarassment of riches.

I think nobody predicted that Anderson would fall all the way to the Spurs. Now that the Spurs have him, it is becoming a problem of who to cut to make room.

The Spurs typically would like to have 14 and 15 open for a veteran or d-league call up. If they keep everyone, the Spurs don't have that luxury.

If Anderson or Daye can show some competence at the PF slot then I would waive Ayres. Also Baynes has already taken Ayres space in the rotation. But why waive a player that's only making less than $2m a year?

Is Ayres 1.8 million this year not guaranteed?

ceperez
06-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Is Ayres 1.8 million this year not guaranteed? yes... i meant getting rid of Ayres just to open up a slot. Yes, it is guaranteed.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
yes... i meant getting rid of Ayres just to open up a slot. Yes, it is guaranteed.

Oh, ok. Well, they're not going to pay him to walk away, I'm sure. But, maybe we see a trade. Who knows.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 01:37 PM
So if Baynes isn't re-signed.... where can the Spurs find a replacement center? Who's available in Free Agency for around $1m? Any undrafted players that fit the bill?

elemento
06-30-2014, 01:39 PM
So if Baynes isn't re-signed.... where can the Spurs find a replacement center? Who's available in Free Agency for around $1m? Any undrafted players that fit the bill?

Young is the only only worth a look that I can think of. He will play for the Pelicans in the SL.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Young is the only only worth a look that I can think of. He will play for the Pelicans in the SL.

Spurs really need a backup center. Duncan needs to sit out the entire regular season. Splitter is injury prone and shouldn't play more than 20 minutes a game.

Ayres and Bonner are just too small to play center... unless the Spurs don't care anymore about winning in the regular season.

Maybe that's just it, the Spurs should just conceed the regular season and develop their younger players. Home court advantage doesn't seem to be that valuable after the Spurs blew out the Heat in two away games.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Spurs really need a backup center. Duncan needs to sit out the entire regular season. Splitter is injury prone and shouldn't play more than 20 minutes a game.

Ayres and Bonner are just too small to play center... unless the Spurs don't care anymore about winning in the regular season.

Maybe that's just it, the Spurs should just conceed the regular season and develop their younger players. Home court advantage doesn't seem to be that valuable after the Spurs blew out the Heat in two away games.

Baynes. If I am not mistaken he did an awesome job against the Blazer and OKC when he played.

Dverde
06-30-2014, 01:50 PM
If they needed another big in free agency. I imagine Spurs would target Kevin Seraphin.

EVAY
06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Baynes. If I am not mistaken he did an awesome job against the Blazer and OKC when he played.

This. Somebody just has to teach him how to not hurt other Spurs' players in practice. I always want Baynes on the court when other guy's thugs were around.
We didn't need him against Miami because of Miami, not because of Baynes.

With Dallas getting Tyson Chandler back, I really really hope we hang on to Baynes.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 02:23 PM
If they needed another big in free agency. I imagine Spurs would target Kevin Seraphin.

Just because he's French? I don't think Seraphin is tall enough to play center. He's also the kind of player that seems to get lost in the offense.

spurraider21
06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
:lol the spurs have a shortage of roster spots available and people think they'll target saraphin?

ceperez
06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
This. Somebody just has to teach him how to not hurt other Spurs' players in practice. I always want Baynes on the court when other guy's thugs were around.
We didn't need him against Miami because of Miami, not because of Baynes.

With Dallas getting Tyson Chandler back, I really really hope we hang on to Baynes.

I think Baynes is a better enforcer than Ayres. The team needs an enforcer. Spurs have two players that played Rugby and are comfortable with a lot of contact, unfortunately the other player is too small to be an enforcer.

Mnky
06-30-2014, 02:44 PM
I see daye capable of replacing bonners minutes. Another year in a system helps anyone and everyone. Look how much Patty played this year compared to last and you see how play time gives opportunity to grow. Kyle can definitely fill that spot as well though.

Same with Danny Green.. He was asked to do more this year with the ball in the regular season.. Finals came around and he played a pivotal part with Kawhi in getting us back on top in Miami. His drives and finish were so much better than last year, when he practically had no experience doing it at an NBA level. Got some experience doing it,gained confidence.. and played great in the finals.

People really underestimate how important actual playing time expereince is to growth and confidence.. both of which are necessary to reach potential.

spurraider21
06-30-2014, 02:46 PM
daye was just some guy we brought in to dump nando who was becoming a nuisance. i don't think he's necessarily somebody the spurs really coveted.

BatManu20
06-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Let Day walk imo. Save the money, bring Bonner back for the vet min, re-sign Diaw and Mills, sign another vet SF, and call it an offseason.

spurraider21
06-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Let Day walk imo. Save the money, bring Bonner back on the vet min, re-sign Diaw and Mills, sign another vet SF, and call it an offseason.
thats the scenario i'm a fan of

yavozerb
06-30-2014, 03:05 PM
I think Anderson took Dayes contract the day he was selected and not overseas stash type player..Bring back Diaw,Mills,Bonner, Baynes and the roster is back up to 14 with the addition of Anderson.

letmk
06-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I see daye capable of replacing bonners minutes. Another year in a system helps anyone and everyone. Look how much Patty played this year compared to last and you see how play time gives opportunity to grow. Kyle can definitely fill that spot as well though.

Same with Danny Green.. He was asked to do more this year with the ball in the regular season.. Finals came around and he played a pivotal part with Kawhi in getting us back on top in Miami. His drives and finish were so much better than last year, when he practically had no experience doing it at an NBA level. Got some experience doing it,gained confidence.. and played great in the finals.

People really underestimate how important actual playing time expereince is to growth and confidence.. both of which are necessary to reach potential.

Unlike Green and Mills, as a 1st round 15th pick, Daye has been given plenty of playing time during the first 3-1/2 years with Detroit. And he is already 26 and has played 5 seasons in NBA. Nothing is impossible, but I'm very doubtful about him becoming a serious contributor.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Unlike Green and Mills, as a 1st round 15th pick, Daye has been given plenty of playing time during the first 3-1/2 years with Detroit. And he is already 26 and has played 5 seasons in NBA. Nothing is impossible, but I'm very doubtful about him becoming a serious contributor.

Yeah... but that's like saying that Diaw did nothing when he played for the Bobcats.

Certain kinds of players, need a system like the Spurs to play well. Danny Green as an example likely would still be in the D-league if the Spurs did not make him part of the rotation.

Even Patty Mills will be no-where (probably playing pro in China) if he weren't picked up by the Spurs.

Belinelli was bounced around with so many teams (4 teams in 6 years) that one would suspect his ability to contribute.

Baynes was undrafted and never played in the NBA till the Spurs acquired him.

So to claim that he's can't contribute just because he hasn't contributed elsewhere is a bad argument for a Spurs player.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2014, 04:14 PM
If Anderson and Bertans are part of the Spurs future, what sense does it make to keep Daye? What does Daye do that they can't nor won't be able to learn?

letmk
06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah... but that's like saying that Diaw did nothing when he played for the Bobcats.

Certain kinds of players, need a system like the Spurs to play well. Danny Green as an example likely would still be in the D-league if the Spurs did not make him part of the rotation.

Even Patty Mills will be no-where (probably playing pro in China) if he weren't picked up by the Spurs.

Belinelli was bounced around with so many teams (4 teams in 6 years) that one would suspect his ability to contribute.

So to claim that he's can't contribute just because he hasn't contributed elsewhere is a bad argument for a Spurs player.

First, if you try to compare Diaw's case with Dayes', we are done with discussion. Since you have no sense at all. People suspected that Diaw might be DONE by then --not whether he is ever good enough for NBA, which is never even a question -- because of being fat or lack of motivation/efforts. He had been playing at near all-star level and had been given contract of $40-50M.

Second, Belinelli has been a contributing player almost everywhere he plays. Not a star, not a starter, but definitely has a role.

And as of Baynes, Daye might be in somewhat similar situation. Even so, Baynes didn't get enough minutes in the Spurs. And let's be honest, his status is still shaky even he is re-signed. So if Daye's best case is Baynes, it does not bode well. While Dyne had been given tons of chances before, and he just didn't get minutes this year by Raptors and Spurs. Whenever a young player gets less and less minutes with multiple teams, it's not a good sign.

LakerHater
06-30-2014, 05:55 PM

ceperez
06-30-2014, 05:59 PM
First, if you try to compare Diaw's case with Dayes', we are done with discussion. Since you have no sense at all. People suspected that Diaw might be DONE by then --not whether he is ever good enough for NBA, which is never even a question -- because of being fat or lack of motivation/efforts. He had been playing at near all-star level and had been given contract of $40-50M.

Second, Belinelli has been a contributing player almost everywhere he plays. Not a star, not a starter, but definitely has a role.

And as of Baynes, Daye might be in somewhat similar situation. Even so, Baynes didn't get enough minutes in the Spurs. And let's be honest, his status is still shaky even he is re-signed. So if Daye's best case is Baynes, it does not bode well. While Dyne had been given tons of chances before, and he just didn't get minutes this year by Raptors and Spurs. Whenever a young player gets less and less minutes with multiple teams, it's not a good sign.

Daye joined the Spurs late in the season, just like Baynes joined the Spurs late.

Here's the tell though, Pop let Daye play in several games. That's much better sign that several other Spurs players that never sniffed the court.

Daye did not play a single second in the playoffs. Which of course makes sense since the Spurs need every player on the court to be in sync.

I wonder why there are so many Daye haters when the guy has shown glimpses of potential.

jeebus
06-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Dayres. The new turd towers.

DesignatedT
06-30-2014, 06:24 PM
5...4..3..2..1.gnsf starts new thread about Austin Daye news.

spurraider21
06-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Meh not a fan of keeping him. There's really no purpose considering his roster spot could be used on an MLE player

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Thank god, bye Bonner

spot2180
06-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Let Day walk imo. Save the money, bring Bonner back for the vet min, re-sign Diaw and Mills, sign another vet SF, and call it an offseason.

I like that idea too, but I'd rather see one of those guys we have stashed than bring in another SF. Unless that SF is especially good. Not seeing that happen, though.

elemento
06-30-2014, 06:56 PM
If Daye stays, it might be the end of the road for Bonbon is SA. :lol

Mnky
06-30-2014, 07:02 PM

Well Said, I was thinking the same thing. Right environment and coaching makes all the difference. If every situation was the same, all coaches would be paid the same, and all trainers and assistants would be valued the same and Chip wouldn't be an asset for the spurrs..etc etc.

So many factors into someone reaching their full potential.

We're talking about the 15th spot on the team. Daye is capable of taking that spot with more potential than ?bonner has at this point going forward. Bonner didn't play last year due to injury and barely played in the playoffs. He helped during a couple games, but nothing substantial. That's the only argument.. whether daye is worth a 15th spot that wills see little to no time.. He is. There's better..Bonner might even be better..but he's still worth the spot and has some type of potential.

As far as the over seas guys like bertrans, I'd love to see them come over, but if the Spurs don't see them having the opportunity to see much playing time, it's better for them to keep getting much more playing time abroad where they have a bigger impact and opportunity to experience things.

ironman2886
06-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Baynes is an asset. I couldn't care less about Daye and Bonner.

http://cosbysweaters.nextimpulsemedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/BnACm52CAAAxNOp.jpg

BackHome
06-30-2014, 07:09 PM
I think Anderson took Dayes contract the day he was selected and not overseas stash type player..Bring back Diaw,Mills,Bonner, Baynes and the roster is back up to 14 with the addition of Anderson.

+1

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Spurs To Keep Austin Daye, Guarantee His Deal For 14-15
Jun 30, 2014 8:08 PM EDT

The San Antonio Spurs will keep forward Austin Daye beyond Monday’s contract guarantee deadline, a league source told RealGM.

Acquired in a trade in February, Daye, 26, averaged 4.1 points and 1.4 rebounds in 14 games for the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs faced deadline on Daye’s contract, and they could have released his partially guaranteed deal by Monday night.

Daye has averaged 5.4 points and 2.7 rebounds over five NBA seasons. He was a first round pick of the Detroit Pistons in 2009. Yahoo Sports first reported that the Spurs were not expected to release Daye.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234041/Spurs-To-Keep-Austin-Daye-Guarantee-His-Deal-For-14-15

spurraider21
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
i dont get it, but whatever. its the 15th spot. just cements that none of the euro's are coming over. if they bring back mills/diaw/baynes there's only 1 roster spot left, which could go to Bonner or an MLE player

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Spurs do not plan to waive forward Austin Daye before 11 p.m. tonight, which would guarantee his full $1.603 million for next season.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Spurs To Keep Austin Daye, Guarantee His Deal For 14-15
Jun 30, 2014 8:08 PM EDT

The San Antonio Spurs will keep forward Austin Daye beyond Monday’s contract guarantee deadline, a league source told RealGM.

Acquired in a trade in February, Daye, 26, averaged 4.1 points and 1.4 rebounds in 14 games for the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs faced deadline on Daye’s contract, and they could have released his partially guaranteed deal by Monday night.

Daye has averaged 5.4 points and 2.7 rebounds over five NBA seasons. He was a first round pick of the Detroit Pistons in 2009. Yahoo Sports first reported that the Spurs were not expected to release Daye.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234041/Spurs-To-Keep-Austin-Daye-Guarantee-His-Deal-For-14-15

Boom. Head shot.

benefactor
06-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Not all that surprising. I figured the Spurs would give him an extended audition. They will need more bodies than ever this season to accommodate rest for the starters/rotation players.

BatManu20
06-30-2014, 07:32 PM
I think Bonner's days as a Spurs are over. Bummer. He was the glue that held it all together.. PATFO OBVIOUSLY don't want to repeat..

DesignatedT
06-30-2014, 07:33 PM
So we swapped Bonner for Kyle Anderson and called it an off season. Doubt the spurs even use their exceptions.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-30-2014, 07:36 PM
He's had like half a year to add mass. Hopefully he's gonna have 10 extra lbs of lean mass by training camp.

jhfenton
06-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Duplicate

jhfenton
06-30-2014, 07:38 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Spurs do not plan to waive forward Austin Daye before 11 p.m. tonight, which would guarantee his full $1.603 million for next season.

It's not your mistake, but isn't it $1.063MM?

elemento
06-30-2014, 07:40 PM
It's not your mistake, but isn't it $1.063MM?

Yep, he has already fixed it.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 07:47 PM
So we swapped Bonner for Kyle Anderson and called it an off season. Doubt the spurs even use their exceptions.

No, Matty coming back, too, I think.

DesignatedT
06-30-2014, 07:49 PM
No, matty coming back, too, I think.

I guess it's possible. Assuming everyone else comes back that would make Matty the 15th guy. Two guys would be regulated to a suit every game. Plus, historically the spurs have liked to keep a spot open on the roster throughout the season.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 07:55 PM
No, Matty coming back, too, I think.

I agree with you here. Bonner is likely coming back, but likely for the minimum. Spurs still need a stretch 4. (Of course, I would think that both Anderson and Daye could play the stretch 4).

DesignatedT
06-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately we have Ayres taking up a roster spot.

jeebus
06-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Boner - mostly makes 3s except in the playoffs, sometimes plays ok defense
Daye - only makes 3s against the worst team in the NBA, lol defense

Can we say bye to both of these guys? And errors too while we're at it?

ceperez
06-30-2014, 08:05 PM
All wingspan team -

Splitter - C 6'11" - reach 9'1.5"
Duncan - PF 6'11" - unknown
Leonard - SF - 6'7" - reach 8'10"
Daye - SG 6'11" - reach 9'2"
Anderson - PG 6'9" - reach 8'11.5"

AFBlue
06-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Makes sense. There's no downside to keeping both players as available options.

objective
06-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Baynes is worth keeping, big time. I fear that he's gone regardless, and will have a nice career.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Boner - mostly makes 3s except in the playoffs, sometimes plays ok defense
Daye - only makes 3s against the worst team in the NBA, lol defense

Can we say bye to both of these guys? And errors too while we're at it?

2/2 vs The Heat
3/4 vs Denver

.414 from three over 14 games.

yavozerb
06-30-2014, 08:16 PM

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

TD 21
06-30-2014, 08:18 PM
There are more than just those two (WCF and nba finals opponents btw) that lack a credible PF post threat. Any PFs on last years Lakers with monster post skills (Pau is a Center)? Also that game against the Sixers you reference shows the benefit of having Daye out there -- he nailed 6 wide open threes because the slower PF couldn't recover to him. Its a game of match ups and trade offs, and the spurs won that one.

I agree with you that Daye isn't for every game and that match ups would dictate playing time. Baynes is the best example of that. Daye would also be situational, etc.

My point is that that defensive liability argument against keeping Daye is overblown. Their are less and less Zach Randolphs and Tim Duncans in the league, and more and more Ibakas and Boshs that do their offensive damage from 15ft. It's just the way the league is heading.

Daye is such a liability that even guys you don't think of as low post threats, would do work against him.

I don't mean to come off as anti Daye or the decision to retain him though. I'm just saying, I could have envisioned the scenario whereby they didn't and would have understood why, with Anderson now on board. Again, had they not drafted Anderson, all of this would have been moot and it would have been a no brainer to retain him.

With this decision, I'm back to being skeptical about them retaining Bonner. I could see them valuing the flexibility of an open spot or utilizing it on a spare wing defender.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Baynes is worth keeping, big time. I fear that he's gone regardless, and will have a nice career.

Spurs just made him a qualifying offer. He more than likely stays. If anyone leaves its Aryes. Spurs could ship him to Philly or Atl for 2nd rounder. Also is speculated that Bonner might be going to the Hawks. But I rather the Spurs keep Bonner and move Ayres.

Keeping Daye is a good thing. He may develop and become an asset in the Spurs system and he could be trade bait at the deadline as well. Considering he has all the intangibles that the Spurs covet, it's no Surprise they decided to keep him this year.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately we have Ayres taking up a roster spot.

Despite our differences, we can all agree that's a tragedy.

BackHome
06-30-2014, 08:35 PM
He is going to cry when he doesn't get minutes.

palangi
06-30-2014, 08:38 PM
2/2 vs The Heat
3/4 vs Denver

Don't confuse simpletons with facts. I'm sure he high dived himself after his ignorant/uneducated comment.

palangi
06-30-2014, 08:41 PM
To all those crying about day. There was a report not to long ago that talked about him working out and having added weight. Up to 225 lbs.

it is amazing how shortsighted some of you are here. Almost like you expect the 15th man on the roster to be a hall of famer?

exstatic
06-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Horrible. Memphis non-tenders Ed Davis, and we keep this waste, keeping us from signing him.

The irony is that Davis, a year younger and TONS more athletic, supposedly offensively raw, has a career PER (considered to be offensively biased) of ~ 16. Day, this supposed offensive wizard, has a career PER of 11.9.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Daye is such a liability that even guys you don't think of as low post threats, would do work against him.

I don't mean to come off as anti Daye or the decision to retain him though. I'm just saying, I could have envisioned the scenario whereby they didn't and would have understood why, with Anderson now on board. Again, had they not drafted Anderson, all of this would have been moot and it would have been a no brainer to retain him.

With this decision, I'm back to being skeptical about them retaining Bonner. I could see them valuing the flexibility of an open spot or utilizing it on a spare wing defender.

Can't believe there are so many Daye haters over here!

ElNono
06-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Minute burner, like Ayres... best case is he puts in work over the summer like Patty did last summer and he becomes something more...

It's a cheap contract regardless...

TD 21
06-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Can't believe there are so many Daye haters over here!

This is a prime example of a blatant lack of reading comprehension.

palangi
06-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Horrible. Memphis non-tenders Ed Davis, and we keep this waste, keeping us from signing him.

The irony is that Davis, a year younger and TONS more athletic, supposedly offensively raw, has a career PER (considered to be offensively biased) of ~ 16. Day, this supposed offensive wizard, has a career PER of 11.9.
The grass is always greener on the other side...

funny you want Davis yet exploit Daye. Davis has been horrible. At least Daye can dribble and shoot.

ceperez
06-30-2014, 08:53 PM

What you said is that you don't understand why the Spurs retained Daye. So what's the lack of understanding there? You obviously aren't conviced.

palangi
06-30-2014, 08:54 PM
I don't mean to be a Daye hater, but........

yeah ah how could someone see you different?

jeebus
06-30-2014, 08:55 PM
2/2 vs The Heat
3/4 vs Denver

that's your evidence? :lmao gtfo

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
To all those crying about day. There was a report not to long ago that talked about him working out and having added weight. Up to 225 lbs.

it is amazing how shortsighted some of you are here. Almost like you expect the 15th man on the roster to be a hall of famer?

He was 209 when the Spurs first got him. Last I heard he weighed in at 216 to end the season and the Spurs hope he gets up to 225 by TC and preseason. All signs point that he will.

palangi
06-30-2014, 08:58 PM
that's your evidence? :lmao gtfo
And your evidence is your opinion. Yeah that is so much better!:lol

palangi
06-30-2014, 08:59 PM
He was 209 when the Spurs first got him. Last I heard he weighed in at 216 to end the season and the Spurs hope he gets up to 225 by TC and preseason. All signs point that he will.
I read somewhere that he was up to 225 right now.

ElNono
06-30-2014, 09:02 PM
The Spurs are going to coast through the regular season a lot... basically you'll see again the Spurs play their main guys under 30mpg, more likely lower 20s... You'll also likely see guys like Diaw, Tiago, Manu and Patty getting various games off after a long summer... There will be plenty of minutes for players like Anderson, Ayres, Daye to play out there, and the Spurs will try to take advantage of the fact that most of them are already familiar with the system, while other teams are still trying to get up to speed.

Most of those guys won't likely make the playoff rotation anyways, barring some surprise growth in their games or some injury. Frankly, with the current state of the NBA, you don't need more than 20 mins of TD/TP/Manu/Kawhi/Verde to beat some teams...

TD 21
What you said is that you don't understand why the Spurs retained Daye. So what's the lack of understanding there? You obviously aren't conviced.

That's not at all what I said. I'm actually in favor of the decision, I was merely playing devil's advocate, because I thought with Anderson on board, they'd lean towards cutting him and retaining Bonner. I'd have understood why had they done so, just like I understand why they didn't and if they now don't retain Bonner. In other words, despite the fact that Anderson is more play making three than stretch four, having three defenseless forwards doesn't make sense.

ceperez
Minute burner, like Ayres... best case is he puts in work over the summer like Patty did last summer and he becomes something more...

Sigh, such low expecations!

ElNono
06-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Sigh, such low expecations!

I always hope for better, but as long as he can fill that need, the Spurs will be ok with it.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 09:05 PM
I read somewhere that he was up to 225 right now.

Possibly, but I know Monroe reported that was the target weight for Daye and hoping he get to 230 after that.

230 is usually the minimum weight you want to be in order to defend in the post. Drob did an awesome job at 235 for years.

Good sign that Daye is actually accomplishing what the Spurs asked him to do.

cd021
06-30-2014, 09:07 PM
I think Bonner's days as a Spurs are over. Bummer. He was the glue that held it all together.. PATFO OBVIOUSLY don't want to repeat..

Makes no sense to keep Daye over Bonner, Its not as if he is the heir apparent. He is a big small forward that can't play PF full time. Daye just isn't big enough to play the same postion.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 09:08 PM
But, he's made 14k posts on a message board! And, he stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

(Re: Jeebus' opinion being superior to fact.)

palangi
06-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Makes no since to keep Daye over Bonner, Its not as if he is the heir apparent. He is a big small forward that can't play PF full time. Daye just isn't big enough to play the same postion.
Since?

cd021
06-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Since?

*sense

ceperez
06-30-2014, 09:34 PM

What's Daye's per as a Spur?

Chinook
06-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I would have kept Daye as well, but it still wouldn't surprise me to see him cut/traded. It's him vs DeShaun Thomas right now.

exstatic
06-30-2014, 09:39 PM
What's Daye's per as a Spur?

Sample size is too small. You have to compare career to career.

toki9
06-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Possibly, but I know Monroe reported that was the target weight for Daye and hoping he get to 230 after that.

230 is usually the minimum weight you want to be in order to defend in the post. Drob did an awesome job at 235 for years.

Good sign that Daye is actually accomplishing what the Spurs asked him to do.

How hard can it be to gain all that weight? Introduce him to Ben & Jerry's. Better yet, have Boris take him on a tour of Parisian restaurants.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Sample size is too small. You have to compare career to career.

True, but players tend to have higher PER playing in the Spurs system. Especially those that have the IQ and passing ability required to play in the system.

I think Daye can develop nicely in the Spurs System. If he can get his weight and muscle mass up, he can possibly replace bonner as the Spurs stretch 4.

I don't mind the considering that jean Charles or Bertans aren't coming over next season anyway and it's difficult to find someone for the minimum that matches Dayes potential.

tholdren
06-30-2014, 09:53 PM
How is adding weight going to help daye? no way in hell he sets foot in the paint

elemento
06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Some of you guys are making such a big fuss about it for nothing. His contract is minimal and he can still be cut if a better offer/player is presented.

Last season SA cut Thomas after Kawhi's injury to sign a backup SF and his contract was fully guaranteed. No big deal.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 10:02 PM
How is adding weight going to help daye? no way in hell he sets foot in the paint

Let me see, guys that had to defend one time or another in the paint last season, every freakin player on the Spurs roster.

Really, did I even remotely suggest he was going to post up next year. As stretch four, you have to able to defend and rebound in the paint. Yes, having added weight allows defend post players and box out for rebounds. It's simple physics.

209 or 230 at 6'11" and your asking how will adding muscle to a 6'11" frame might help him.

Baam
06-30-2014, 10:05 PM
If he had a good attitude when he wasn't dressing then I'm fine with it.

May or may not means something about Anderson playing SF instead of PF or Bonbon coming back or not, who knows...

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 10:06 PM

And, the goal-posts move, yet again. Now, he's just a minute burner...

But, with and out...

"i said if he worked hard...he could be something more!"

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Let me see, guys that had to defend one time or another in the paint last season, every freakin player on the Spurs roster.

Really, did I even remotely suggest he was going to post up next year. As stretch four, you have to able to defend and rebound in the paint. Yes, having added weight allows defend post players and box out for rebounds. It's simple physics.

209 or 230 at 6'11" and your asking how will adding muscle to a 6'11" frame might help him.

Don't bother. If he gets to 245, they'll just move the goal-posts on you and latch on to...but but his foot speed! WhAarRble GaArRblble IMPOSSIBLE!

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 10:13 PM
How hard can it be to gain all that weight? Introduce him to Ben & Jerry's. Better yet, have Boris take him on a tour of Parisian restaurants.

He could probably follow Boris around eating what Boris drops and put on 15lbs.

tholdren
06-30-2014, 10:20 PM

tholdren
06-30-2014, 10:22 PM
LOL at you not understanding how the body works to think that he can gain all that weight during the season, then think its all muscle.

You sir are a genius. Its simple physics. ha

ElNono
06-30-2014, 10:27 PM
And, the goal-posts move, yet again. Now, he's just a minute burner...

But, with and out...

"i said if he worked hard...he could be something more!"

what goal post move?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 10:28 PM
LOL at you not understanding how the body works to think that he can gain all that weight during the season, then think its all muscle.

You sir are a genius. Its simple physics. ha

He has been given this goal since he got here back in February. Kobe added 20 lbs of muscle in 3 months one year. Adding 20 lbs of muscle in a 6 month period is unobtainable, well, probably for you but not professional athletes who have trainers working with them every day to achieve this goal.

Quit looking at things from your prospective and you just might achieve enlightenment.

tholdren
06-30-2014, 10:29 PM
He has been given this goal since he got here back in February. Kobe added 20 lbs of muscle in 3 months one year. Adding 20 lbs of muscle in a 6 month period is unobtainable, well, probably for you but not professional athletes who have trainers working with them every day to achieve this goal.

Quit looking at things from your prospective and you just might achieve enlightenment.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOL

there is no other response.

jag
06-30-2014, 10:35 PM
lol anyone wanting Ed Davis on this team.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-30-2014, 10:36 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOL

there is no other response.

Basically sums up what the rest of us think about your shitty logical takes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2014, 10:37 PM
I find it hilarious that people are arguing over Daye, a guy who has had plenty of opportunity to show he's an NBA basketballer and failed at every turn. And he's certainly not a 4 of any description, stretch or otherwise - his rail-thin body (a body type that simply does not add weight, regardless of what you do with it) would get abused in the post by any half-decent offensive 4. Bonner, OTOH, has the frame and willingness to bang that makes him a decent, if limited, defender.

Time Daye headed to Europe IMHO.

tholdren
06-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Basically sums up what the rest of us think about your shitty logical takes.
no really, tell me more about adding this muscle... really.... LOLIOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2014, 10:39 PM

Yup. I'd love to jettison Daye and Ayers and bring in Davis - he's an athlete, plays the pnr well, lots of potential as a banger/energy guy.

:lmao that people think Daye is anything but a deep bench warmer in the NBA.

tholdren
06-30-2014, 10:39 PM
I find it hilarious that people are arguing over Daye, a guy who has had plenty of opportunity to show he's an NBA basketballer and failed at every turn. And he's certainly not a 4 of any description, stretch or otherwise - his rail-thin body (a body type that simply does not add weight, regardless of what you do with it) would get abused in the post by any half-decent offensive 4. Bonner, OTOH, has the frame and willingness to bang that makes him a decent, if limited, defender.

This guy almost half understands the human body.

cd021
06-30-2014, 10:46 PM
It would be somewhat surprising (to me at least) that the Spurs would leave the full M.L.E on the table to retain both Bonner, Daye and Baynes. Either they are extending the Daye decision or plan to cut ties with Bonner. Spurs could use another big or a defensive wing

cd021
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Yup. I'd love to jettison Daye and Ayers and bring in Davis - he's an athlete, plays the pnr well, lots of potential as a banger/energy guy.

I think that some Spurs fans believe that every young player the Spurs grab, has to develop into a quality role player. Odds are, a player like him is about as good as he is going to get. Maybe he can be fill a different role than he has in the past but not very optimistic. Ayers was essentially the same project last year and that failed.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM

I find it hilarious that you are joining an argument you find hilarious. Even more hilarious is that you bring the same hackneyed points bandied about ad nauseam, and even granted to some extent. At the very least all acknowledged as points of contention, and weighed. Yet, the front office still disagrees with your final assessment and yields a coveted roster spot, at least for the time being. So, thank you, as your quote says...for pointing out some of the obvious things we already know...and we should expect you to hate us for attempting to enlighten you.

SupremeGuy
06-30-2014, 10:53 PM
So what's the status with Baynes? When will we find out anything new?

BackHome
06-30-2014, 10:54 PM
The question I have why did it take him four years to start working out and getting stronger?

tholdren
06-30-2014, 10:55 PM
I think that some Spurs fans believe that every young player the Spurs grab, has to develop into a quality role player. Odds are, a player like him is about as good as he is going to get. Maybe he can be fill a different role than he has in the past but not very optimistic. Ayers was essentially the same project last year and that failed.
but that's the media MO. I mean every player we have those guys back-handed compliment them with the system/iq/character guy. They never talk about them being great basketball players. Have we had a player here, EVER that the media talked about going elsewhere or being a perfect fit somewhere else? Not that I can recall. Every player we get, its "Spurs type" or something of the sort. It is what it is. Fans are fans because they have delusions and think with their heart not their mind.

However, once Ayers gains his 90 pounds in a week he will be ready to bust some skulls.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2014, 11:02 PM
I find it hilarious that you are joining an argument you find hilarious. Even more hilarious is that you bring the same hackneyed points bandied about ad nauseam, and even granted to some extent. At the very least all acknowledged as points of contention, and weighed. Yet, the front office still disagrees with your final assessment and yields a coveted roster spot, at least for the time being. So, thank you, as your quote says...for pointing out some of the obvious things we already know...and we should expect you to hate us for attempting to enlighten you.

Over-reaction much? I don't hate you or Daye, I just think it's funny that you're all arguing about the 15th guy on the roster who is unlikely to last here and has already shown us he's no NBA player over 5 seasons of play. Is there a possibility he's a Danny Green type, maybe, but it's a slim chance.

exstatic
06-30-2014, 11:03 PM
The question I have why did it take him four years to start working out and getting stronger?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2014, 11:03 PM
So what's the status with Baynes? When will we find out anything new?

If we don't make the qualifying offer to Baynes I will eat my hat.

SupremeGuy
06-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Didn't we already make an offer?

Mikesatx
06-30-2014, 11:19 PM
I may be under thinking this but our front office is the envy of the league in basketball and all of professional sports. I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Well, Daye's contract is now guaranteed.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Well, Daye's contract is now guaranteed.

Unless the paperwork was filed and we haven't heard about it yet.

It'd be an odd move to keep Daye with SloMo on the way, but the FO knows what they're doing.

SupremeGuy
06-30-2014, 11:24 PM
I may be under thinking this but our front office is the envy of the league in basketball and all of professional sports. I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt.Yeah, we're like the Patriots minus the cheating. lol

benstanfield
06-30-2014, 11:25 PM
I think that some Spurs fans believe that every young player the Spurs grab, has to develop into a quality role player. Odds are, a player like him is about as good as he is going to get.Maybe he can be fill a different role than he has in the past but not very optimistic. Ayers was essentially the same project last year and that failed.

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/basketball/2013/06/13/nba_final_danny_greens_overcame_self_doubt_to_take _centre_stage_in_series/danny_green.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

http://static.squarespace.com/static/503f0892c4aa93dffe114177/t/535ab932e4b06f00084b99fb/1398454579241/

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Retracted

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 11:37 PM
Over-reaction much? I don't hate you or Daye, I just think it's funny that you're all arguing about the 15th guy on the roster who is unlikely to last here and has already shown us he's no NBA player over 5 seasons of play. Is there a possibility he's a Danny Green type, maybe, but it's a slim chance.

How is it an over-reaction to quote you back to you and point you to the irony in finding the argument you volunteered yourself for hilarious to be in existence? Without guys like you making the same obvious (and ignored by the front office) observations, the argument would evaporate. It would just be a bunch of Daye supporters supportin'. Lastly, your quote in your sig is really relevant, here, and predictive, as well, as its meaning is lost on the very dude promoting it. Mind fucking blown.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 11:40 PM

I think there is a lot of looking down a nose in that post.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 11:44 PM

We will forward your preferences to the front office. Be expecting a call.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 11:50 PM

This is actually a really good question. He had some growing up issues, I believe. Maybe he has "gotten over himself" as Pop says. From some things I read, he was on the wrong side of a player mutiny in Detroit, for example. He seems to have some immaturity issues, maybe. Maybe he's over them. Maybe not. Maybe I've got it all wrong.

littlecoyotecoin
06-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Didn't we already make an offer?
Yes, we did. Hats all across the Alamo area are safe.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2014, 11:55 PM
How is it an over-reaction to quote you back to you and point you to the irony in finding the argument you volunteered yourself for hilarious to be in existence? Without guys like you making the same obvious (and ignored by the front office) observations, the argument would evaporate. It would just be a bunch of Daye supporters supportin'. Lastly, your quote in your sig is really relevant, here, and predictive, as well, as its meaning is lost on the very dude promoting it. Mind fucking blown.

Stop snorting that speed and come back to earth, mate. You are lost in the wilderness and picking fights for no reason.

Also, learn to use the multiple quote button.

littlecoyotecoin
07-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Stop snorting that speed and come back to earth, mate. You are lost in the wilderness and picking fights for no reason.

Also, learn to use the multiple quote button.

How about I just do what is easiest for me on my phone? Mmmkay?

And, maybe you need some speed to understand your own shit in your sig.

Lastly, don't jump into an argument and poke fun of people for being laughable for arguing about stupid things and then be shocked when someone takes offense to your rebuke. Poor victim.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2014, 12:16 AM
How about I just do what is easiest for me on my phone? Mmmkay?

And, maybe you need some speed to understand your own shit in your sig.

Lastly, don't jump into an argument and poke fun of people for being laughable for arguing about stupid things and then be shocked when someone takes offense to your rebuke. Poor victim.

It's a public message board. I will interject whenever the hell I feel like it. Why do you feel the need to control opinions about Daye? Who made you Daye's PR censor?

I disagree with you, I think you are wrong, and laughable for how seriously you're treating a 15th guy. That is my right.

Now back the fuck off and take your meds.

spurraider21
07-01-2014, 12:22 AM
its weird complaining about the 14th/15th roster spot, considering its inactive, but i'm disappointed that they're looking to keep Daye on board. that spot could have gone to a euro like Bertans who's contract could have been bought out, or could have been an MLE spot for a potential free agent

littlecoyotecoin
07-01-2014, 12:27 AM
It's a public message board. I will interject whenever the hell I feel like it. Why do you feel the need to control opinions about Daye? Who made you Daye's PR censor?

I disagree with you, I think you are wrong, and laughable for how seriously you're treating a 15th guy. That is my right.

Now back the fuck off and take your meds.

You're the one that got your feelings hurt. You can, obviously, do what you wish. It was just a word of advice that if you jump into an argument and throw out a couple of jabs, someone might jab back. You shouldn't be shocked by that. Poor innocent thing you.

SilverSpur
07-01-2014, 12:29 AM
I remember Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal coming into the NBA rail thin but adding weight and muscle.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2014, 12:33 AM
You're the one that got your feelings hurt. You can, obviously, do what you wish. It was just a word of advice that if you jump into an argument and throw out a couple of jabs, someone might jab back. You shouldn't be shocked by that. Poor innocent thing you.

Hurt. Yup, you're truly delusional. I've been posting here long enough that the words on a screen in places like this don't affect my emotional state in any way.

You, OTOH, appear to be having a manic episode. You might pause to ask yourself why you are so obsessed with Daye, then take your meds and try not to go over the cliff into depression.

ducks
07-01-2014, 12:34 AM
just put each other on ignore

littlecoyotecoin
07-01-2014, 12:45 AM
its weird complaining about the 14th/15th roster spot, considering its inactive, but i'm disappointed that they're looking to keep Daye on board. that spot could have gone to a euro like Bertans who's contract could have been bought out, or could have been an MLE spot for a potential free agent

Well, the 14/15 th roster spot is just a figure of speech. I expect Daye to get much more playing time and injured players or "injured" players to be sitting in those 14/15 th roster spots, rotating in and out. And, intelligent people can disagree. I have watched some Bertans. I don't share the enthusiam for him that all the Bertans lovers do. What I refrain from doing is pretending that I know better, and that they're making uneducated observations. I see the gushing over him as unwarranted. He's highly speculative, coming off a major injury, young, underweight also, and not much of a passer, which is something I hold in high regard, even in shooters. He may be great, to each his own, but he isn't coming so why spit into the wind.

littlecoyotecoin
07-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Hurt. Yup, you're truly delusional. I've been posting here long enough that the words on a screen in places like this don't affect my emotional state in any way.

You, OTOH, appear to be having a manic episode. You might pause to ask yourself why you are so obsessed with Daye, then take your meds and try not to go over the cliff into depression.

You may be naive enough to believe some of that, or to even think 20k is a large number.

anakha
07-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Well, that certainly went in a predictable direction.

ceperez
07-01-2014, 10:10 AM

I will agree with you that Bertans appears to have more upside than Daye. I however think that Bertans most likely is coming over for the 2015-2016 season, so extending Daye for an additional year isn't in conflict with that plan.

It's hard to tell though at this stage how good Daye could be. He's shown glimpses of being extremely explosive offensively and adequate defensively. In fact, he's shown in one game more potential than Matt Bonner has shown in 7 years with the Spurs. In the game against the sixers he made 6 3 pointers and had like 2 blocks and a steal.

xmas1997
07-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Obviously the powers that be on the Spurs must see something in him that us outsider Spurs fans do not.

playbonner15
07-01-2014, 12:53 PM
ST: Bonner pls go, Daye can spread the floor :'(
LOL thinking Daye can defend anyone :lol