PDA

View Full Version : Darington Hobson SF

SilverSpur
06-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Anyone know who he is, where he came from? Just read the Spurs invited him for a workout.

SHOOTING FOR SIX :lobt2::flag:

Dex
06-30-2014, 09:40 AM
sKgHlLdVjsk

NRaCMWQOke8

Dex
06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Spurs are goin' crazy lookin for a backup SF, it seems.

BackHome
06-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Seems like a good invite the question I have is if one of these non drafted players come in and dominate summer league will they beat our draft picks for a job?

AFBlue
06-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Seems like a good invite the question I have is if one of these non drafted players come in and dominate summer league will they beat our draft picks for a job?

Anderson's deal is guaranteed, but other than that I'd say yeah. If Hobson outplays Thomas I think he could very well earn a spot on the roster. Neal did it a few years back, so there's precedence.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2014, 10:50 AM
D-League bench player. SL roster fill.

TrueSpursFan
06-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Spurs are goin' crazy lookin for a backup SF, it seems.

Or....
www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236676&p=7468303#post7468303

SpurPadre
06-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Kinda showboats too much to be Spurs material, tbh.

Ron Swanson
06-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Sounds like he's royalty.

Sir Darington Hobson III

BackHome
06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Hey Chump your good with the summer league info of the players signed by the Spurs who do think has a chance?

TheyCallMePro
06-30-2014, 01:04 PM
I remember New Mexico was really good for a few seasons (but a dud in the tournament as always) and he was one of their stars. That's all pretty much.

Taking it to the Hole
06-30-2014, 07:39 PM
He has good size and length but I worry about his ability to play defense. If you can't do that even on basic level, you don't have a shot on this team. Always amazes me how some players invest so much time and energy into developing an offensive game, they completely disregard that they may have to do something else like make a block, a steal, get a rebound or loose ball, and all those intangibles that win you games.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Manny will be excited.

BackHome
06-30-2014, 10:57 PM
He has good size and length but I worry about his ability to play defense. If you can't do that even on basic level, you don't have a shot on this team. Always amazes me how some players invest so much time and energy into developing an offensive game, they completely disregard that they may have to do something else like make a block, a steal, get a rebound or loose ball, and all those intangibles that win you games.

Don't want to say that about Austin people will get upset at you.

Darkwaters
07-01-2014, 09:10 AM
Anderson's deal is guaranteed, but other than that I'd say yeah. If Hobson outplays Thomas I think he could very well earn a spot on the roster. Neal did it a few years back, so there's precedence.

There were some significant differences for Neal.

Firstly, the guy came out simply stroking it. Neal couldn't hardly miss and blew the top off the gym.

Secondly, the Spurs were definitely in flux at the time and were casting off older role players. It was very clear that they needed shooters in a bad way. That was the year we drafted James Anderson and also ended up scooping up Danny Green out of the D-League.

Remember, the Spurs didn't give him a training camp invite, they gave him a full-on 3 year guaranteed contract out of Summer League. Thats almost unheard of.

This year we have a largely set roster coming off of a championship run. Money isn't a concern so much for us, but roster spots are. Best case scenario for a Summer League stand-out is probably a training camp invite. But it's a long hill after that even. Very long odds of a random invitee making this team this season.

Dex
07-01-2014, 09:36 AM
There were some significant differences for Neal.

Firstly, the guy came out simply stroking it. Neal couldn't hardly miss and blew the top off the gym.

Secondly, the Spurs were definitely in flux at the time and were casting off older role players. It was very clear that they needed shooters in a bad way. That was the year we drafted James Anderson and also ended up scooping up Danny Green out of the D-League.

Remember, the Spurs didn't give him a training camp invite, they gave him a full-on 3 year guaranteed contract out of Summer League. Thats almost unheard of.

This year we have a largely set roster coming off of a championship run. Money isn't a concern so much for us, but roster spots are. Best case scenario for a Summer League stand-out is probably a training camp invite. But it's a long hill after that even. Very long odds of a random invitee making this team this season.

Right on the money. The challenge for any of these new guys coming in, be them rookies, FAs, or SL candidates, is that they are coming into one of the deepest and most established teams in the league. 11 of the 15 guys are coming off of back-to-back Finals trips with each other, and the only player on the roster to seriously under-perform last season was Ayers.

Assuming the Spurs add Anderson...That's 11 spots already filled and two virtually locked up (for Bobo and Patty, assuming he returns). That leaves two vacancies for the rest of these guys to fight for, with the question of whether Baynes or Bonner come back, and the Spurs exploring the free market. A player would have to explode in a pretty big way to find a way to nab one of those final spots.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Hobson was great in college, declared early and ended up getting drafted by the Bucks in the second round. He was injured in the NCAA tournament, and apparently it was a chronic issue. I'm kind of surprised he's still playing.

He was a stud at one time. I saw him play quite a few times. Great shot, good leaper, could take over a game. He thought he was way better than he was which may have affected his work ethic. I'm sure he's been humbled since those days.

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Hobson is slugging it out with Victor Gaddefors and Nobel Boungou-Colo on the wings. The Swedish kid looks pretty solid.