PDA

View Full Version : Cassell refuses to take physical

sickdsm
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Sam Cassell, traded by the Timberwolves to the Clippers for Marko Jaric, has refused to take a physical with his new team and is demanding an extension on his contract, which has one year to go. Cassell is asking for a two-year deal. The Wolves hope this doesn't kill the deal. Had the Wolves traded Cassell in the middle of last season as suggested by Flip Saunders, Saunders still might be coaching the team." Minneapolis Star Tribune

Also.

http://startribune.com/stories/503/5566039.html

Last update: August 18, 2005 at 8:15 AM
Timberwolves: Minnesota will miss him, Cassell says
Steve Aschburner, Star Tribune
August 18, 2005 WOLF0818
Former Timberwolves point guard Sam Cassell, traded last week to the Los Angeles Clippers, envisions a great season for himself in 2005-06 and a really, really long one for his former team.
"They're going to be at the bottom again," said Cassell, predicting in a telephone interview Wednesday that the lowly Clippers -- who haven't reached the playoffs since 1997 or won a postseason game since 1994 -- will pass the Wolves in the Western Conference standings.
Cassell also took a poke at one of the Minnesota franchise's most sensitive spots: "I know for a fact that Kevin Garnett is disappointed. Kevin wants some guys he can go to war with."
Garnett, the Wolves' eight-time NBA All-Star and cornerstone player, has made himself unavailable for interviews since before the regular season ended in April. That has left fans guessing about Garnett's reaction to the hiring of new head coach Dwane Casey, the drafting of lottery pick Rashad McCants, the apparent decision not to re-sign Latrell Sprewell and now the trade of Cassell.

Sam Cassell
Carlos Gonzalez
Star Tribune
Cassell, a 12-year veteran, was packaged to the Clippers with the Wolves' 2006 first-round draft pick for guards Marko Jaric and Lionel Chalmers. Jaric, 26, is nearly nine years younger than Cassell, four inches taller and more inclined to distribute the ball and defend his position. But Cassell's career scoring average (16.5 ppg) is almost double Jaric's, he is known as one of the game's best and gutsiest mid-range shooters and, two years ago, Cassell became a first-time All-Star while helping the Wolves reach the conference championship round.
"If they think Marko Jaric is a replacement for me, they're out of their minds," Cassell said of the Wolves management. "I'm happy for him. I'm happy he got paid. But that's not an upgrade. As players, we know."
Actually, Cassell didn't sound entirely pleased that Jaric, in the sign-and-trade transaction, landed a six-year, $37.9 million deal. Last fall, Cassell pressed the Wolves for a contract extension, seeking an added two years worth about $14.5 million.
"Six years? Forty million?" Cassell said. "Yeah, right. Yeah, right."
Cassell had a quick up-and-down stay with the Wolves. Acquired in June 2003, he turned in his best season at age 34, averaging a career-high 19.8 points, hitting 49 percent of his shots and landing on the All-NBA second team. The Wolves won a franchise-best 58 games, earned the No. 1 seed and might have reached the Finals if Cassell's left hip injury hadn't hobbled him against the Lakers.
Last season, post-surgery rehab cut into Cassell's offseason workouts. He skipped the first two days of training camp to show his displeasure with his contract. Then he strained his right hamstring, an injury that nagged him to a career-low 59 games. Cassell averaged 13.5 points, his lowest output in 10 years, and disliked having to come off the bench once Kevin McHale took over as coach. The Wolves missed the playoffs for the first time since 1996.
"Minnesota never got out of the first round until I got there," Cassell said. "Then when I got hurt, everybody knew [my value]. I don't take things personally. I know I was accused [of selfishness]. Spree and I came in as 'rebels.' But they had to blame somebody."
Late last season, team owner Glen Taylor did call the acquisitions of Cassell and Sprewell "a failed experiment." But McHale, General Manager Jim Stack and teammates never publicly cited those two as the cause of the lottery plunge.
"Sam came in, did a great job for us and brought a lot of success to the franchise," Stack said. "Then last year, things didn't work out so well. We felt Marko could help us, and we wouldn't have been able to get a guy of his caliber if Sam wasn't involved.
"It's a tough deal. When things don't go well, and guys are out there saying, 'I need this, I need that' and making tough statements, they kind of bring the microscope on themselves."
As for Cassell's claim that Garnett was unhappy with the trade, Stack said: "You want your best player on board with what you're trying to do. Kevin, generally, when things are not going the way he wants, he's pretty vocal about it. And I have not heard anything."
Wolves insiders have said that Garnett, on learning of Cassell's departure, was disappointed to lose another friend from the roster but has not expressed basketball concerns.
Basketball? Cassell's primary concern again might be business. The Clippers have a history of not extending players' deals and, in fact, might have acquired Cassell because his $6.1 salary comes off the books next spring. He still has not reported for his physical, though he has been scrimmaging informally in Houston.
"I'm going to have a hell of a year," Cassell said. "That's not even my concern. I just wish it was with my main man, Kevin Garnett. We made each other better. He made me an All-Star; I made him an MVP."
Steve Aschburner is at [email protected].

Trainwreck2100
08-18-2005, 02:22 PM
If he takes the physical the fact that he is an alien will be revealed and his plans for world domination will be ruined.

samikeyp
08-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Fuck ET.

z0sa
08-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Cassell made Garnett MVP? KG was a fluke MVP... unlike say TD or Nash who pretty much singlehandedly carried their teams, KG was just a really tall SF who can shoot. If he was true MVP material, he'd have at least brought the TWolves to the playoffs this year. But he didn't.

ChumpDumper
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Interesting -- I'm not sure the Clippers would really care all that much if Sam sat out.

timvp
08-18-2005, 03:44 PM
The best thing that could happen to the T'Wolves is if this deal fell apart. No way Jaric is worth that type of jack and would bust as a PG.

Sportcamper
08-18-2005, 03:46 PM
'''If he takes the physical the fact that he is an alien will be revealed and his plans for world domination will be ruined.'''
:lol :rollin :lol

Seriously what I find amazing is the deal Marko Jaric got...I saw him play at home all last year and the guy is very average...The NBA just loves giving away money to “B” players.... :smokin

kris
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Cassell made Garnett MVP? KG was a fluke MVP... unlike say TD or Nash who pretty much singlehandedly carried their teams, KG was just a really tall SF who can shoot. If he was true MVP material, he'd have at least brought the TWolves to the playoffs this year. But he didn't.

Amare carried that team. Nash single handedly carried his gym bag.

sickdsm
08-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Hardly, Take a look at KG's numbers the previous two years. While one can make an argument that he could have/should have been MVP the previous year, thats another issue. Only a fucktard would say he's a fluke when his numbers put him at LEAST in the runner up category in a different season.

A healhty Yaric is definatly worth that. This year it will look like it was a bad deal but the wolves aren't going to be under the cap, they NEEDED a defensive, pass first PG and Sam wasn't going to be there next year.

The clippers wouldn't mind him sitting out, no salary being paid and he's off the books. Sam won't though, he'll have a decent year with scorching numbers against the wolves.

The clippers won't be that bad of a team this year if Sam can shut up and come off the bench, they could def. use him.

batman2883
08-18-2005, 06:41 PM
So do the Clipps really want ET on their team?

baseline bum
08-18-2005, 06:51 PM
What timvp said. $40 million for Jaric is like signing Derek Fisher and then Adonal Foyle.