PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard going to the Philippines to play exhibition game with the National team

Duncanoypi
06-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Hey Filipino fans...this is our chance to see the Finals MVP in our home town playing with Blake Griffin, Lilliard, Pierce,DeRozan and Lowry. This is for charity!!!

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/kawhi-leonard-kyle-lowry-join-top-us-basketball-stars-in-gilas-last-home-stand-in-manila

barakz21
06-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Whoa.. I read a tweet about this last week, but I assumed it was a typo since all the articles/tweets made no mention of Kawhi since I saw that. Pretty cool that he's been getting a lot of recognition for all his success.

100%duncan
06-30-2014, 10:08 PM
any idea on the tickets? I'm not going to miss this damnit.

Mikeanaro
06-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Great, will Durbeta play too?

Duncanoypi
06-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Here's the ticket details:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3868/14332995218_11d53a352a_o.jpg

Pretty much expensive though!

SupremeGuy
06-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Great, will Durbeta play too?Someone has to backup Kawhi, right? :lol

carina_gino20
06-30-2014, 10:58 PM
:cry I can't go :cry FML

Stabula
06-30-2014, 11:02 PM
gay

siraulo23
07-01-2014, 12:49 AM
:tu

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 01:21 AM
C o o l

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 01:33 AM
Sweet. Bought mine already. :lol

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 02:14 AM
*~PiNoY pRiD3~*

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 02:21 AM
Should've taken Blatche and Clarkson too, IMO. To play with the locals.

Ice009
07-01-2014, 02:35 AM

What?

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 02:38 AM
Jordan Clarkson, half-Filipino. Andray Blatche, naturalized Filipino. Just to even out both squads. Or give the locals a tinge of hope at least.

Uriel
07-01-2014, 02:39 AM
Ugh. Gonna be in Australia during those dates. :( Gilas is gonna get ripped to shreds. :lol

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 02:43 AM
Ugh. Gonna be in Australia during those dates. :( Gilas is gonna get ripped to shreds. :lol
:lol

outmap
07-01-2014, 02:43 AM

Sadly, Clarkson is ineligible to play as a local as per FIBA rules, we could easily naturalize him as he's half Filipino but we need size, and Blatche is the best talent we can get at that height who is willing to be a citizen.

$500 for courtside tickets? That's like twice the monthly minimum wage here in the Philippines!

Kawhi though, I'll just watch it on TV, televised live in TV5 or AKTV41.

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Just for the record btw

:lol philippines
:lol Biatche
:lol thinking he would make any difference
:lol gonna get 0'd in the fiba world

mrjap2x
07-01-2014, 06:19 AM
If you have cheap tickets can you still go near the court for autographs

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 06:44 AM

Not sure, araneta's security esp in events like these are so strict. Im hoping for a meet and greet.

Captivus
07-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Wouldnt surprise me if Kawhi's jerseys sales start climbing in Asia...I mean...Kobe level.

Baynes
07-01-2014, 09:11 AM
I'LL BE THERE

Baynes
07-01-2014, 09:14 AM
good thing it's on Araneta. Even at GA you'll be able to have a clear view

jmard5
07-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Good find!

flacura
07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
I hope Kawhi do not get injured badly in this summer with his National Team or during the world cup in Spain . We need him for next year championship ride

:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:w ow:wow:wow

DAF86
07-01-2014, 03:44 PM
:madrun :cry But...but he should rest. He's fucking up Duncan's last chance :cry :madrun

myhc
07-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Dammit! Will miss this by a week!!!!

caŽlo
07-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Won't miss this. See you guys!

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 05:48 PM
See you mofo's, I'll be the one in a TD Jersey :lol

Two10Whitey
07-01-2014, 05:55 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!! http://cooking.fm/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/lumpia-recipe11.jpg

KL2
07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
:madrun :cry But...but he should rest. He's fucking up Duncan's last chance :cry :madrun

Manu is old as fuck, and we've seen what he looks like with/without rest. He also takes forever to get his confidence back after returning from an injury.

Leonard is young, still developing and learning (perfect opportunity), both times he's been injured he bounced back FAST. He can handle extended minutes in the off season.

exstatic
07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Uh, I feel the need to remind everyone that Kawhi is NOT YET on the team. He's invited to camp, with a total of 27 other guys for 12 spots, some of which are already filled.

outmap
07-01-2014, 08:55 PM

I've been to Araneta, unfortunately, those who are only in the courtside and lowerbox can go near the court, those who are in the upperbox and general admission have different entrance/exit area.

exstatic
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Uh, I feel the need to remind everyone that Kawhi is NOT YET on the team. He's invited to camp, with a total of 27 other guys for 12 spots, some of which are already filled.

anakha
07-01-2014, 09:23 PM

Just to clear things up: http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/kawhi-leonard-set-to-play-in-exhibition-game-in-manila.html

The exhibition game is completely separate from the Team USA mini-camp. The game in Manila is basically some rich guy inviting NBA players over for a glorified scrimmage against the Philippine national team.

exstatic
07-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Just to clear things up: http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/kawhi-leonard-set-to-play-in-exhibition-game-in-manila.html

The exhibition game is completely separate from the Team USA mini-camp. The game in Manila is basically some rich guy inviting NBA players over for a glorified scrimmage against the Philippine national team.
I'm doubting the Spurs would even approve, then, and I'm guessing since this isn't under the USA*Basketball umbrella, they can veto.

Sounds VERY sketchy...

anakha
07-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Leonard might have a 'love for the game' clause that allows him to participate, who knows. I recall Magic Johnson had such a clause in his contract before.

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 10:19 PM
:downspin:

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm doubting the Spurs would even approve, then, and I'm guessing since this isn't under the USA*Basketball umbrella, they can veto.

Sounds VERY sketchy...
Understandably very sketchy for non-Filipino citizens. He's not just some rich guy, he's a telecommunications magnate and global investor who has brought several NBA players over for exhibition games. List includes Kobe Bryant, Javale McGee, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Tyreke Evans, James Harden, to name a few. None of the players were injured, and I doubt any of our reed-thin national players inflict substantial damage on Blake Griffin, Kyle Lowry, and company. Yeah the Spurs can veto, but they haven't as of the moment so there's that. Leonard's name was pulled once but it's back up there so I guess he *really* is headed to the Philippines. The Philippines loves basketball and I doubt any of our cagers would want to harm your precious little Kawhi, but we'll keep you posted just in case he gets a papercut or something :toast

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 10:59 PM

Sounds VERY sketchy...

One of the richest man on our country who has already brought KD, Kobe, and other stars during the lockout period is responsible for this event. He also announced on his twitter that Kawhi is indeed going. Even the head coach of our national team. So it is set. Nothing sketchy imhp.

anakha
07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
One of the richest man on our country who has already brought KD, Kobe, and other stars during the lockout period is responsible for this event. He also announced on his twitter that Kawhi is indeed going. Even the head coach of our national team. So it is set. Nothing sketchy imhp.

AFAIK, players could do whatever they wanted during the lockout, since the league and the owners had no say in their activities during the lockout.

This is a very different situation from then.

I'm not saying that anything sketchy's going on - just that the lockout situation can't be compared to this one.

FireMicoHalili
07-01-2014, 11:25 PM
AFAIK, players could do whatever they wanted during the lockout, since the league and the owners had no say in their activities during the lockout.

This is a very different situation from then.
That is true, I took that into consideration. Otoh, how could they have arranged this if they weren't allowed? Wouldn't have made sense for them to advertise the event if they weren't coming over. Regardless, we'll let you know how they do over here. Kevin Love just visited last month, Gordon Hayward last April. Pretty sure both were unscathed. Also attended a Matt Bonner event here last year, he was under contract then. Shot some hoops, didn't harm himself in the process.

anakha
07-01-2014, 11:32 PM
That is true, I took that into consideration. Otoh, how could they have arranged this if they weren't allowed? Wouldn't have made sense for them to advertise the event if they weren't coming over. Regardless, we'll let you know how they do over here. Kevin Love just visited last month, Gordon Hayward last April. Pretty sure both were unscathed. Also attended a Matt Bonner event here last year, he was under contract then. Shot some hoops, didn't harm himself in the process.

I'm also based in the Philippines. ;) My earlier posts were trying to explain things for other posters.

And I remember reading something about how basketball camps and other events are normally not an issue contract-wise, it's actual games - for charity, as an exhibition or otherwise - that may be restricted in players' contracts.

We don't know if Leonard's contract allows him to play non-national team and non-NBA games, but other players have that restriction in their contracts. Jordan had one which was detailed in the Jordan Rules book.

FireMicoHalili
07-02-2014, 12:22 AM
I'm also based in the Philippines. ;) My earlier posts were trying to explain things for other posters.

And I remember reading something about how basketball camps and other events are normally not an issue contract-wise, it's actual games - for charity, as an exhibition or otherwise - that may be restricted in players' contracts.

We don't know if Leonard's contract allows him to play non-national team and non-NBA games, but other players have that restriction in their contracts. Jordan had one which was detailed in the Jordan Rules book.
Greetings, kabayan! That will be an issue, though I'm sure the details will iron themselves out. Will ask my fellow media friends regarding their financial and contractual arrangements soon as I get to.

FireMicoHalili
07-02-2014, 02:04 AM
UPDATE, if anybody still cares: NBA Players are allowed to play in exhibition games like these. Their contracts allow for promotional and exhibition games such as this one. What NBA players are disallowed to do is joining foreign leagues during the summer or the season. The sole issue during the lockout was that they were prohibited from identifying themselves as NBA players. Not sure but if they allow players to play in the Drew League in the offseason, the more these promotional games should be allowed. Event was made possible through coordination with the NBA Philippines.

anakha
07-02-2014, 02:12 AM
Yeah, if it's an NBA-sanctioned event, there would be no issue.

100%duncan
07-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Thank god. I woulda killed myself if Kawhi ended up not going. I dont give a fuck about the others.