View Full Version : Cavs: Kyrie Irving Agrees to Max 5-yr/$90 Million Contract

BatManu20
07-01-2014, 12:58 AM

EmoKobe
07-01-2014, 01:13 AM
:lol

Jacob1983
07-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Way too damn much. I bet he's in a different jersey by 2016.

Killakobe81
07-01-2014, 06:11 AM
Max money for a non super star wasn't Gilbert one of the owners bitching about old CBA? The players fucked up. If Kyrie could get that ...

Raven
07-01-2014, 06:26 AM
dayum

Mal
07-01-2014, 06:35 AM
:lmao

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 07:02 AM
R.I.P. Cavs franchise

djohn2oo8
07-01-2014, 07:03 AM
R.I.P. Cavs franchise
They were dead when LeBron left.

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 07:05 AM
They were dead when LeBron left.
With all the lottery foodstamps handed to them, the league was keeping the Cavs on life support.... with the Bennett pick, they put one foot in the grave, and with this contract, they're officially dead :lol

benefactor
07-01-2014, 07:06 AM
smh Cleveland. Again, just move them to Seattle or contract them.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2014, 07:06 AM
this clown hasnt proven shit and gettin paid max, just like wall...

nobody is pointin a gun to these owners to overpay for wankers

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 07:10 AM
this clown hasnt proven shit and gettin paid max, just like wall...

nobody is pointin a gun to these owners to overpay for wankers
At least Wall has been to the playoffs in his career and won a series.... the highlight of Kyrie's career has been an All-Star MVP when he didn't even deserve to be an All-Star in the first place :lol

Real talk, I'd rather have someone like Ty Lawson or Isaiah Thomas over the cancer Kyrie....

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2014, 07:13 AM
rule 101 to get max contract on anyteam, pad stats even if its empty stats

how pathetic

Captivus
07-01-2014, 07:36 AM
CLE may be forced to do it.

I dont know the city, so I cant speak of it...BUT...assuming 80% of what people say about Cleveland is true...then...the only way CLE can retain Irving is paying big.
Irving knows this.

I do think is a lot of money for him...but if they make a declining contract maybe is not that bad, and the team keeps a star player.

Not many options for CLE.

MeloHype
07-01-2014, 07:54 AM
http://instagram.com/p/p6KypzxRza/

:tu

JoeTait75
07-01-2014, 08:18 AM
No-brainer. They had to do this. As much of a pain in the rear as Kyrie can be he just turned 22. A lot of his issues just have to do with maturity.

Killakobe81
07-01-2014, 08:30 AM
No-brainer. They had to do this. As much of a pain in the rear as Kyrie can be he just turned 22. A lot of his issues just have to do with maturity.

I get that. And kid is talented. But when does it ever make sense to pay a non superstar max money? Good news is with Wiggins, kyrie and even Tristan and Waiters to a lessor degree there is talent on Cavs. Let's see what they do with it ...I think a trade for vet would help. Especially a big .

apalisoc_9
07-01-2014, 08:31 AM

The thing about NBA players is that they never really mature..:lmao

apalisoc_9
07-01-2014, 08:36 AM
not even the best player in the draft :lmao

DPG21920
07-01-2014, 09:06 AM
You are never in good shape paying someone like Kyrie a max deal like this. Especially when considering the fact that even if he "matures" and actually goes from worst defender in the league to possibly trying on defense just to be horrific, that it's hard to build a winner around a guy like him.

So even best case scenario (assuming they don't land a guy like Lebron) they might be first or second round fodder (again unless something really unexpected happens). I just don't see how you come out ahead here unless you can trade Kyrie for a nice haul.

BatManu20
07-01-2014, 09:21 AM
You are never in good shape paying someone like Kyrie a max deal like this. Especially when considering the fact that even if he "matures" and actually goes from worst defender in the league to possibly trying on defense just to be horrific, that it's hard to build a winner around a guy like him.

So even best case scenario (assuming they don't land a guy like Lebron) they might be first or second round fodder (again unless something really unexpected happens). I just don't see how you come out ahead here unless you can trade Kyrie for a nice haul.

Which is extremely unlikely cause no team is going to trade for a score-first PG who doesn't play much D that is making $90 million (not even in a couple years). Just not going to happen. CLE just locked themselves in the basement with this contract.

Killakobe81
07-01-2014, 09:25 AM

My thoughts as well. You guys had the guy to pay max money to (Lebron) ...and lost him. You have a new guy (you hope) will also be deserving of max money in Wiggins. Good news is Andrew will be on a rookie deal, while Kyrie is on his max one (for the most part) but if waiters and Tristan improve how do you pay them? Kyrie pulled a Kobe with no rings in hand, in a city that is hard to convince players to take less to live. I just dont see it ending well. As much as I enjoy Kyrie's dribble game I just cannot see this not biting Cleveland in the ass.

But I hope it works well you guys have some nice pieces.

Killakobe81
07-01-2014, 09:33 AM
And the irony is I have argued on here for years that if Lebron stayed EVENTUALLY someone would have followed him there. But that is Lebron. Outside of MAYBE Kevin Love who has grown close to Kyrie Who would follow Irving to Cleveland? The hope for this team rests now on Wiggins shoulders. I hope for yall sakes he becomes what he is projected to be. If it does MAYBE Cavs overcome this mistake.

LOL at Irving's tweet he has 90 million reasons to hope for a long career with the Cavs at the moment ...

Kamnik
07-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Horrible horrible move by Cleveland.... holy shit

Dragič earns 7,5mil per year and he is:
-better offensively
-better defensively
-better teammate

Damn, move this team to Seattle!!

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't get why some think that they had to do this. Yes Kyrie is talented, yes Kyrie is a top 5 pg right now(weak era of pg's tbh), yes he can mature BUT he is not max potential. Damn cavs man, screwed up with Bennett and probably screwed up with not choosing Jabari too. What a waste tbh.

Killakobe81
07-01-2014, 10:04 AM
If Kyrie makes all-star again he can make even more under the Rose rule of the new CBA? Can someone explain that?

Mel_13
07-01-2014, 10:10 AM
If Kyrie makes all-star again he can make even more under the Rose rule of the new CBA? Can someone explain that?

The salary in the first year of an extension to a rookie scale contract (other than for a team's Designated Player) may be any amount up to the player's maximum. This is usually the 0-6 year maximum, which is based on 25% of the salary cap (see question number 16). However, a player may receive up to the 7-9 year maximum, which is based on 30% of the cap, if he meets any of the following criteria (called the "5th Year 30% Max criteria"):

Named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team at least twice
Voted as a starter in the All-Star game at least twice
Named the NBA Most Valuable Player at least once

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

Killakobe81
07-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks! And Parker makes how much? Lol. And as someone else mentioned Dragic makes much less ...SMH

JoeTait75
07-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I don't get why some think that they had to do this. Yes Kyrie is talented, yes Kyrie is a top 5 pg right now(weak era of pg's tbh), yes he can mature BUT he is not max potential. Damn cavs man, screwed up with Bennett and probably screwed up with not choosing Jabari too. What a waste tbh.

I'm probably an moron, but I'm not ready to give up on Anthony Bennett quite yet, fwiw.

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm probably an moron, but I'm not ready to give up on Anthony Bennett quite yet, fwiw.

Havent watched much of Cavs... What are his potentials? Didn't he come from the bench for most of the season after sucking at the start?

Killakobe81
07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
And you shouldn't he has talent but that is not enough.

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Kyrie is a top 5 pg right now(weak era of pg's tbh)
Wrong on all accounts, tbh....

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Wrong on all accounts, tbh....

In terms of talent, pg skills who are you top 5 then?

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 11:00 AM
In terms of talent, pg skills who are you top 5 then?
Right off the top of my head, I'd rather have Choke, Enrique, Curry, Dragic, Wall, Westbrook, Thomas, Lowry, and Lawson than Kyrie, tbh....

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Right off the top of my head, I'd rather have Choke, Enrique, Curry, Dragic, Wall, Westbrook, Thomas, Lowry, and Lawson than Kyrie, tbh....

Choke, Enrique, Westbrook, Curry are the only clear cut pg's who are better than Kyrie IMHO, as I said not counting being a cancer/immaturity or whatever and even with that one can always argue that Westbrook doesn't really play PG...

As for the others...

Dragic really good season. But the Suns' run run run system is better than Cavs' dogshit.
Wall has Beal, Ariza, Nene, Gortat.
Thomas is a scrubPeriod:lol
Lowry, really? I thought he is pretty overrated tbh never really watched much of the Raps
Replace Lawson with Kyrie in the Nuggs, at the least a lateral move imho.

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Choke, Enrique, Westbrook, Curry are the only clear cut pg's who are better than Kyrie IMHO, as I said not counting being a cancer/immaturity or whatever and even with that one can always argue that Westbrook doesn't really play PG...

As for the others...

Dragic really good season. But the Suns' run run run system is better than Cavs' dogshit.
Wall has Beal, Ariza, Nene, Gortat.
Thomas is a scrubPeriod:lol
Lowry, really? I thought he is pretty overrated tbh never really watched much of the Raps
Replace Lawson with Kyrie in the Nuggs, at the least a lateral move imho.
Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me, tbh.... Kyrie had a "win-now" team and couldn't make the playoffs in the East while hogging and not playing defense, tbh....

If Thomas is a scrub, what does that make Kyrie?

http://i.imgur.com/OWNrGhA.png

Texas_Ranger
07-01-2014, 11:26 AM
lol @ Irving being a top 5 PG in the league. Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Dragic and Wall are better. I'd even say Lowry, Conley, Lillard, Bledsoe and Lawson had a better season. And don't compare the teams, cause Irving had a good team to make it to the playoffs in the pathetic East. Guys like Jeff fucking Teague and Kemba Walker brought their teams to the playoffs while Irving didn't and his team is not bad compared to the Hawks or the Bobcats. Right now comparing Thomas and Irving is not really that stupid.

100%duncan
07-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me, tbh.... Kyrie had a "win-now" team and couldn't make the playoffs in the East while hogging and not playing defense, tbh....

If Thomas is a scrub, what does that make Kyrie?

http://i.imgur.com/OWNrGhA.png

So when Lebron bailed from cleveland because the team was shit you'll give him a pass but saying that other pg's look good because they are in better teams are excuses for Irving? Call it both ways tbh.
Texas_Ranger Just to be clear, I think Kyrie is really overrated right now and not worth the max( no PG right now is worth the max) but as of raw talent, pg skills he is top 5 imho.

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 11:36 AM
LeBron carried his shit team to the Finals, Kyrie couldn't even make the playoffs in a worse Eastern Conference :lol

Hogging the ball, chucking, not playing defense and alienating your teammates = top 5 at your position? You must love Kirby, then....

MeloHype
07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
lol @ Irving being a top 5 PG in the league. Paul, Westbrook, Curry, Parker, Dragic and Wall are better. I'd even say Lowry, Conley, Lillard, Bledsoe and Lawson had a better season. And don't compare the teams, cause Irving had a good team to make it to the playoffs in the pathetic East. Guys like Jeff fucking Teague and Kemba Walker brought their teams to the playoffs while Irving didn't and his team is not bad compared to the Hawks or the Bobcats. Right now comparing Thomas and Irving is not really that stupid.
No they didn't that was Paul Millsap for the Hawks & Al Jefferson for the bobcats, put kyrie on those teams and they'll be the #3 seed

Clipper Nation
07-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Btw, you still haven't addressed how Thomas has nearly identical stats except for more assists and a better FG%, but he's a scrub whereas Kyrie is a top 5 PG....

Texas_Ranger
07-01-2014, 11:44 AM
So when Lebron bailed from cleveland because the team was shit you'll give him a pass but saying that other pg's look good because they are in better teams are excuses for Irving? Call it both ways tbh.
Texas_Ranger Just to be clear, I think Kyrie is really overrated right now and not worth the max( no PG right now is worth the max) but as of raw talent, pg skills he is top 5 imho.

OK, I agree with that and in the next 5 years he should become a top 1-3 PG in the game.

SupremeGuy
07-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Holy shit wtf? :lol

Teams have been fucking committing suicide in the last two days, tbh. lol Good shit NBA, good shit.

Brunodf
07-01-2014, 12:26 PM
:lol Paying max contract for a PG(and not even an elite one)

Thread
07-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Holy shit wtf? :lol

Teams have been fucking committing suicide in the last two days, tbh. lol Good shit NBA, good shit.

& just think back to a fortnight and a bit ago. "Teams" were swearing up & down they were going to follow Pop's example. An absolute revelation in the middle of June.

Please. How in the fuck are they going to sustain a 7 year renewal with jacks & timbers when the fools broke thru the lines a little over 2 weeks in?

Kamnik
07-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Meh.... shitty move by a shitty franchise. Nothing new here really.

We shouldn't even discuss this really.

Chinook
07-01-2014, 01:49 PM

It's never a smart move to give a max extension to a player unless they are a bona-fide HoFer.