PDA

View Full Version : World Cup should be every two years tbh...

Phenomanul
07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
And confederation championships (Euro, Copa America, Gold Cup, etc...) be held on alternate years...

4 years is too damn long of a wait... :lol

Infinite_limit
07-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Have to make room for EUROPEAN CUP (Toughest Tourney on the Globe)

Phenomanul
07-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Like I said... World Cups held on even years...

Confederation Championships held on odd years...

Restructure the Olympics to strictly U-23...

Infinite_limit
07-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Like I said... World Cups held on even years...

Confederation Championships held on odd years...

Restructure the Olympics to strictly U-23...
That would mean

World Cup on even years
European Cup on odd years
Champions League every year

Impossible for players health

BanditHiro
07-01-2014, 01:51 PM

aren't you from New Jersey? why would anyone want to willingly be European?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
It would lose some of its appeal and cramp the already congested and streched calendar even more. I don't think my heart can take matches like today's every 2 years, some time is needed to heal :lol

The Gemini Method
07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
They have like Kings FA Euro Trash Division Serie Liga Tournaments dotting the soccer landscape. Get rid of the majority of these tournaments then you might have an argument. As currently constructed? Naw. Too much goin' on.

DAF86
07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
You know what would be cool? A World league. Pick the best 18 or 20 teams and have him play all vs all, home and away over the course of 2 or 3 years. Instead of friendlies you play World league matches.

ElNono
07-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Sometimes I feel every 4 years is too long, but then that's somewhat what makes it special and the huge event it really is. Plus theres so many other BS tournaments now.

Phenomanul
07-01-2014, 02:44 PM
That would mean

World Cup on even years
European Cup on odd years
Champions League every year

Impossible for players health

Aren't National Team squads comprised of 23 men? Use more players... The Pop method...

Brazil
07-01-2014, 02:49 PM
no way

the beauty of the world cup is its rarity tbh

Players have 3 WC windows in their carreer 2 max in their prime.... it's somehow cruel but that's the exiting part

Phenomanul
07-01-2014, 04:53 PM
no way

the beauty of the world cup is its rarity tbh

Players have 3 WC windows in their carreer 2 max in their prime.... it's somehow cruel but that's the exiting part

I see your point, but opposition to change is not an argument in itself against the concept... Why not hold the NBA Finals every 4 years...? How about the Champions League Final...? or the Super Bowl...? The beauty of those championships is the fact that it should be [all other factors removed] the best of the best "fighting it out" to prove who is the best... That's the inherent nature of competitive sports... We [the fans / the spectators] feast on the journey itself... We need to value the quality of the product on the pitch, moreso than the arbitrary frequency factor that was chosen more than 80 years ago...

IMO the rarity argument is one based on holding firm to traditions... We shouldn't value the tournament based on rarity alone, and in doing so devalue the beauty of the sport itself... The two year suggestion, is one that emphasizes the fact that we should hold the best tournment in highest esteem and phase out lesser, meaningless, tournaments...

It's a subjective exercise in terms of what we value...

You seem to value rarity (in this instance)... whereas I stress the valuing of quality (for the sake of pure entertainment - which is what I feast on as a fan of the 'beautiful game' known as fútbol)...

Infinite_limit
07-01-2014, 04:57 PM
I see your point, but opposition to change is not an argument in itself against the concept... Why not hold the NBA Finals every 4 years...? How about the Champions League Final...? or the Super Bowl...? The beauty of those championships is the fact that it should be [all other factors removed] the best of the best "fighting it out" to prove who is the best... That's the inherent nature of competitive sports... We [the fans / the spectators] feast on the journey itself... We need to value the quality of the product on the pitch, moreso than the arbitrary frequency factor that was chosen more than 80 years ago...

IMO the rarity argument is one based on holding firm to traditions... We shouldn't value the tournament based on rarity alone, and in doing so devalue the beauty of the sport itself... The two year suggestion, is one that emphasizes the fact that we should hold the best tournment in highest esteem and phase out lesser, meaningless, tournaments...

You seem to value rarity (in this instance)... whereas I stress the valuing of quality (for the sake of pure entertainment - which is what I feast on as a fan of the 'beautiful game' known as fútbol)...
Problem with your comparison is World Cup is for country so the players aren't paid much. Remember how much bitching the NBA players made about participating in Olympic Basketball? This would start occuring in the World Cup.

It simply needs to uphold it's Golden Standard "Nothing compares to winning the WC". Once you water down that accomplishment, players will start questioning participation.

Super Bowl & NBA Finals must occur yearly because they are Domestic Sports

Phenomanul
07-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Problem with your comparison is World Cup is for country so the players aren't paid much. Remember how much bitching the NBA players made about participating in Olympic Basketball? This would start occuring in the World Cup.

It simply needs to uphold it's Golden Standard "Nothing compares to winning the WC". Once you water down that accomplishment, players will start questioning participation.

Super Bowl & NBA Finals must occur yearly because they are Domestic Sports

Champions League?

hater
07-01-2014, 05:29 PM
I'd say 3 years. 2 years would be too often. clubs would not allow it.

IrisHockey
07-01-2014, 07:19 PM
fuck no.. the 3 years worth of hype is part of what makes it so good

Thebesteva
07-01-2014, 07:21 PM
OP, I keep saying the same as well or atleast every 3 years. Every 4 fucking years is like a new class of doctors graduating tbh

HI-FI
07-01-2014, 07:28 PM
4 years is a long ass wait, but 2 might make it feel less special. plus I somewhat enjoy the ladies WC in the interim, least something we dominate at. :depressed

BanditHiro
07-01-2014, 07:29 PM
fuck no.. the 3 years worth of hype is part of what makes it so good

hype only starts the year and half before the Cup tbh.

Brazil
07-01-2014, 08:03 PM

There are quality national teams event every two years. Euro is a fantastic competition, very exciting and extremely valued. So we got something to look for every two years.

i do hope they will never ever do s stupid thing like a World Cup every two years. We have enough quality football all year with champion league. Olympics is also every 4 years and it's enough. Just my two cents anyway

hater
07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
IMO they should promote the youth WC (under 20 imo)

that would be the shit tbh. So there should be a youth WC and a vet WC every 2 years. case solved.

:tu

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
There's already a shitload of football being played and nobody is gonna cancel their money income. In a quick glance I can tell you:

International:
World Cup
World Cup Qualifiers
Euro/Copa America/African Cup/Asian Cup/CONCACAF Gold Cup
Qualifiers for those tournaments
Confederations Cup
International Friendlies
Olympics -which have qualifiers in some regions-
U-20/U-21 Continental Competitions
U-20 World Cup
U-17 Continental Competitions
U-17 World Cup
U-15 Continental Competitions

Club:
Club World Championship
Champions League/Libertadores/Asian CL/CONCACAF CL
Europa League/Sudamericana
International Super Cup
Leagues
National Cups
League Cups
National Super Cups
Reserves/B Leagues

And that's just from the first I could remember, you can add more if you start looking into it.

Players in successful clubs who also play for nations that usually go deep in tournaments could play up to 80-90 matches per season. That's just insane, even with the advances in conditioning, sports medicine and training techniques. They're at the physical limit right now, and you can tell by the number of injuries before and during this World Cup. There isn't any kind of rotation policy where you could challenge for titles if you add the World Cup every 2 years, because it would also need qualifiers every 2 years. It would become a very random tournament, anyone could qualify or win because everyone would be knackered and unable to play to their limits.

Spain was the most obvious case. The success of Barcelona, Real Madrid and the Spanish National Team in the past 6 years has left the players exhausted, they hardly got a 2 month vacation in that period, usually it was somewhere 3 and 5 weeks.

IronMaxipad
07-01-2014, 10:50 PM
There's already enough.. And aren't their going to be like 2 copa america's now? The regular conmebol one and then the one with concacaf + conmebol teams which is next year i think?

hater
07-01-2014, 10:53 PM
There's already enough.. And aren't their going to be like 2 copa america's now? The regular conmebol one and then the one with concacaf + conmebol teams which is next year i think?

them american teams better enjoy this world cup cause next time in Russia, I'd be surprised to see 1 or 2 Be@ner teams in the final 8 :lol

Infinite_limit
07-02-2014, 12:50 AM
Not for nations in difficult Qualifying confederations. If USA wasn't guaranteed a spot in the World Cup it would be different

Phenomanul
07-02-2014, 09:24 AM
There are quality national teams event every two years. Euro is a fantastic competition, very exciting and extremely valued. So we got something to look for every two years.

i do hope they will never ever do s stupid thing like a World Cup every two years. We have enough quality football all year with champion league. Olympics is also every 4 years and it's enough. Just my two cents anyway

The Euro is great... only if you have a horse in the race... WC is best of the best...

Brazil
07-02-2014, 09:52 AM
The Euro is great... only if you have a horse in the race... WC is best of the best...

WC is by far the best. That's why it is so important for a player legacy.

Euro obviously interests more Europeans but there are the equivalent of that competition in America and you can high level football being played during Euro, so a guy who likes football even without a horse is gonna be interested.

I mean watch France / Italy in 2000, you cannot tell me that was not a crazy entertaining game even if you are not french or italian

Infinite_limit
07-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Europeans feel the same with about World Cup

IrisHockey
07-03-2014, 04:11 AM

and mathematically it'd be 3/4 of a year worth of hype if the WC was every 2 years

velik_m
07-03-2014, 02:50 PM
When would you hold the qualifiers? - you know in some regions you actually have to put in some effort to qualify.

The current setup is fine. 2 years to qualify, then a tournament.

Infinite_limit
07-03-2014, 04:25 PM
When would you hold the qualifiers? - you know in some regions you actually have to put in some effort to qualify.

The current setup is fine. 2 years to qualify, then a tournament.
Exactly. Americans take a break from kicking rocks in the MLS