PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign Bryce Cotton to 2 year deal

Purch
07-02-2014, 12:03 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/source-bryce-cotton-signs-two-year-deal-with-spurs.html

In one of the bigger surprises of the day, Shams Charania of RealGM is reporting that the San Antonio Spurs and undrafted guard Bryce Cotton have agreed to a two-year partially guaranteed deal.

Undrafted free agent Bryce Cotton of Providence has agreed with Spurs on a partially guaranteed two-year deal, league sources tell RealGM.

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) July 2, 2014

Cotton was one of the highest rated undrafted guards in this year’s NBA Draft. The senior out of Providence led the Friars to an NCAA Tournament bid on his way to a Big East Tournament Championship and Big East Tournament MVP. Cotton was second in the league in scoring at 21.8 points per game and led the league in assists at 5.9 per game.

Cotton’s deal becomes guaranteed in his second year should he make the roster out of training camp.

The signing comes at an interesting time. With Mills being sidelined for the next seven months with a rotator cuff injury, a third point guard was a need. However, with Kyle Anderson expected to sign and make the roster, and Austin Daye’s option being picked up, roster spaces are limited. Assuming Patty Mills and Boris Diaw return to the team, that would make 14 contracts, with Aron Baynes (qualifying offer) and Matt Bonner waiting in the wings.

The Spurs and their fans will get a first look at Bryce Cotton in the Las Vegas Summer League on July 11th.

Dex
07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Well that was fast.

Nice find, Purch.

kobyz
So why not to draft him late in the draft?

xtremesteven33
Typical Spurs move. Under the radar and will probably work out just fine.

superbigtime
07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Looks like a real beast.

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Better than Cojo

kobyz
07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
How is his defense?

Purch
07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Update the op

spursparker9
07-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Is there any draft express video on this guy?

cjw
07-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Just go watch the Big East tournament and the round 1 game against UNC and you'll see all you need to see. You'll fall in love with the kid.

Mal
07-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Great pick up.

Flawless
07-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Some highlights of his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3M7mnq1WA

waisman
07-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Out Mills ???

...Bonner (http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/playerProfiles/profileDisplay.jsp?id=382) ?

tmtcsc
07-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Cuz the Toros need players too. He's way too small to succeed in the NBA. He looks like a good scorer and seems unafraid to take the ball to the rim but when matched up with better competition, didn't do so well.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Austin Toro

cjw
07-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Cuz the Toros need players too. He's way too small to succeed in the NBA. He looks like a good scorer and seems unafraid to take the ball to the rim but when matched up with better competition, didn't do so well.

He was by far the best player on his team and had to play basically the whole game every game:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/53131/bryce-cotton

Don't see many bad performances in here despite the fact that defenses could key in on him. Got to line a lot but numbers are likely inflated by the ridiculous ref'ing in college / end of game situations.

tuncaboylu
07-02-2014, 12:33 PM
So Mills is a goner?

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 12:34 PM
So Mills is a goner?

Nope, just because they sign him to a deal doesn't mean he's making the roster. He could end up a Toro or just be camp fodder. They'll resign Mills. With the depth they have at Guard he's not going to get regular minutes if he does make the team.

ceperez
07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
What the hell.... this is indeed a surprise.

Looks like Spurs bought insurance against Mills not signing.

Just like drafting Anderson. Insurance against Diaw not sigining.

I guess guaranteeing Daye's salary means that Bonner is history.

There just isn't enought spots left and the team still needs a center (hopefully Baynes signs).

PG - Parker, Joseph, Anderson, Cotton (Mills) <- 5 guards?!
SG - Green, Belinelli, Manu
SF - Leonard, Daye
PF - Duncan, Ayres, (Diaw), (Bonner)
C - Splitter, (Baynes)

That is 16 players!!! Somebody is definitely not coming back this year!

peacemaker885
07-02-2014, 12:37 PM
From the clips, his game looks like....Patty's.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 12:38 PM

There just isn't enought spots left and the team still needs a center (hopefully Baynes signs).

SF - Leonard, Daye
C - Splitter, (Baynes)

Diaw and Mills will more than likely be back unless someone drastically overpays. Cotton is insurance for season minutes since Mills will be out. More than likely will be a Toro for most of the season and they may call him up here and there. Bonner is probably gone and you forgot to include shitty Ayres in your list.

FireMicoHalili
07-02-2014, 12:39 PM

SF - Leonard, Daye
C - Splitter, (Baynes)

Training camp roster maxes out at 20. Partially guaranteed deals count against the roster if player makes it to opening day roster. Spurs carry 15 if Diaw, Mills, Baynes/Bonner come back. One of those four probably won't be. Cotton may be cut before season starts too. Too early to designate a position for Anderson IMO.

peacemaker885
07-02-2014, 12:39 PM
** duplicate **

xellos88330
07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Averaged 21.8 points on 15 attempts and got to the line quite often at around 7 attempts per game with an 85% free throw percentage. Almost 6:2 assist/turnover. I think the Spurs might have found another gem. He oozes potential when you combine his statistics with the Spurs system. Physically I don't understand how someone could label him as a mediocre athlete. Sure he is short, but he has quickness on his penetrations and good speed in transition. For a guy that is undersized he can 2 hand dunk, and catch and finish oops. My only concern would be whether or not he can defend well. We will find out at summer league.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Training camp roster maxes out at 20. Partially guaranteed deals count against the roster if player makes it to opening day roster. Spurs carry 15 if Diaw, Mills, Baynes/Bonner come back. One of those four probably won't be. Cotton may be cut before season starts too. Too early to designate a position for Anderson IMO.

Bonner should be gone, all signs point to this. Anderson will make the roster unless he just completely sucks ass at SL

JMarkJohns
07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Cotton is definitely a kid worth taking a gamble on. His fight, character and drive are incredible. He's talented enough to carve out a niche with a team.

Four years ago he was an u heard of 1-star HS prospect not even worth a glance from the local university, Arizona. He really fought to improve.

ceperez
07-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Cotton is definitely a kid worth taking a gamble on. His fight, character and drive are incredible. He's talented enough to carve out a niche with a team.

Four years ago he was an u heard of 1-star HS prospect not even worth a glance from the local university, Arizona. He really fought to improve.

I really find it hard to imagine that the Spurs will sign both Cotton and Mills.

I gather Spurs so some unexpected talent in Cotton that he was worth sigining if though there's a looming log jam at guard.

Pako
07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
His game is more like mike conley... Can pass the ball and play pick and roll... also has a good shooting touch..

jhfenton
07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Cotton definitely has more potential than the average undrafted training camp/summer league signing. And the timing is dramatic given Mills's injury and Cotton's similarity to Mills.

But the most likely outcome is still that Cotton's cut in training camp and gets picked up by the Toros.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Spurs front office knows what they're doing. they don't want another franchise taking a flyer on this dude, he'll be in camp and then cut and Toros will take him allowing Pop to call him up for spot work here and there and truly evaluating him during that time. That is unless he flat out kills it in Summer League and someone else does the same thing when they cut him.

smaka
07-02-2014, 12:55 PM
His game is more like mike conley... Can pass the ball and play pick and roll... also has a good shooting touch..
Conley can't shoot.

kobyz
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
The next Speedy Claxton?

Mugen
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Just another terrific move by Executive of the Year RC Buford tbh.

tmtcsc
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
L.A. Clippers Mini-Combine Recap and Analysis
May 22, 2014
Bryce Cotton, 6 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover, 2-for-4 FGs
Cotton didn't have much of an impact as a scorer with Wilbekin blanketing him for most of the scrimmage. He was able to knock down a mid-range pull up and a floater but he struggled getting all the way to the rim and breaking free of his man consistently. Cotton did find his teammates on multiple occasions and showed some point guard skills to go along with his scoring prowess, but his size limitations really stood out.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Remember, this guy wasn't drafted.

By anyone.

Don't pencil him in on the Spurs roster just yet.

spursparker9
07-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I think he is as fast as Patty and his dribbling/ball handle may be better than Patty.

Dex
07-02-2014, 01:20 PM

By anyone.

Would they give him a 2 year deal if they planned on waiving him during camp? Or are you implying they just plan to send him to Austin?

jhfenton
07-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Would they give him a 2 year deal if they planned on waiving him during camp?

Yes. Not unusual at all.

Chinook
07-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Would they give him a 2 year deal if they planned on waiving him during camp? Or are you implying they just plan to send him to Austin?

Yes. Teams like to give their players as long of deals as possible if there are non-guaranteed years. Remember, Thomas was waived after signing a two-year deal last year.

kobyz
07-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Eager to watch Bryce/Slowmo backcourt kill it in summer league!

tmtcsc
07-02-2014, 01:26 PM

Yes -Not too big of a deal to pay 600K per year for a player you believe has potential.

jARS mEsH sEt
Where do you watch summer league ball. Youtube? Is it free or do I have to pay for it?

Mr. Body
The Spurs blew two late 2nd rounders on a nobody like Dragubic or whatever instead of using one on this guy.

He has high energy, looks quick as hell and seems like a good shooter.

I feel Mills' injury basically makes his re-signing a given (he'll be cheaper). Spurs have proven they can hide shorter point guards on defense a bit, so I expect Cotton to get a good shot behind Joseph. Joseph really needs to learn how to shoot or his days may be numbered.

Mel_13
07-02-2014, 01:28 PM

The guaranteed amount could be very small, as little as 50K. Easy to cut if he isn't any good, but cheap to keep if he works out.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Would they give him a 2 year deal if they planned on waiving him during camp? Or are you implying they just plan to send him to Austin?It's not fully guaranteed, so getting waived out of camp is a distinct possibility.

Where do you watch summer league ball. Youtube? Is it free or do I have to pay for it?15 bucks, Uncle Scrooge.

http://www.nba.com/summerleaguelive/?ls=iref:SPN_NBA_SLL_searchbar_062414-072114

Mr. Body
07-02-2014, 01:36 PM
He's clearly not the shooter Mills is, but should improve. What he replicates is a super-high motor, capable of running and running forever.

After the UNC-Providence game in the first round of the NCAAT coach Roy said Cotton played one of the best games of anybody he'd ever coached against. (Difficulty: Roy Williams is a suck-ass coach and they weren't great this year.)

Williams compared him to Lindsay Hunter. If Cotton is nearly as good as Hunter was, I'll take it 20x.

Pako
07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
You are kidding right? Conley have better shooting percentages than Cotton...

Conley can't shoot.

tholdren
07-02-2014, 01:45 PM
doesnt there HAVE to be a trade in the works here?

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
doesnt there HAVE to be a trade in the works here?Nope.

tholdren
07-02-2014, 01:48 PM

By anyone.

Exact same thing that happened when we drafted Kyle Anderson. There is a reason he fell, there is a reason cotton wasnt drafted, hopefully those reasons are able to be fixed by SA, but yes, homers will be homers.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Exact same thing that happened when we drafted Kyle Anderson. There is a reason he fell, there is a reason cotton wasnt drafted, hopefully those reasons are able to be fixed by SA, but yes, homers will be homers.It's really difficult for you to make a post that doesn't mention Anderson or Splitter isn't it?

Darkwaters
07-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Im guessing that Cotton and Marcus Denmon will both come into camp and fight for a spot behind Joseph. They might even add a third guard to the mix if neither looks strong at summer league. This contract locks up Cotton though and protects him from other teams poaching him. Denmon's contract is not a rush since Spurs own his draft rights.

Mr. Body
07-02-2014, 01:54 PM
http://youtu.be/58-loxPlfE4

Not great quality but his vertical is impressive.

will_spurs
07-02-2014, 02:19 PM
The Spurs blew two late 2nd rounders on a nobody like Dragubic or whatever instead of using one on this guy.

What difference would it have made? (serious question)

Aztecfan03
07-02-2014, 02:24 PM

He has high energy, looks quick as hell and seems like a good shooter.

I feel Mills' injury basically makes his re-signing a given (he'll be cheaper). Spurs have proven they can hide shorter point guards on defense a bit, so I expect Cotton to get a good shot behind Joseph. Joseph really needs to learn how to shoot or his days may be numbered.

we still have this guy so what does it matter?

tholdren
07-02-2014, 02:29 PM
It's really difficult for you to make a post that doesn't mention Anderson or Splitter isn't it?

To me, it's comical, to read one two totally opposite opinions from the same person about the same subject matter.... flip-flop. interesting

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 02:30 PM

we still have this guy so what does it matter?Look, I know the Spurs have him -- but the Spurs could have had him. Know what I mean?

raybies
07-02-2014, 02:33 PM

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 02:35 PM
OK, now we can bitch about the draft pick.

stnick2261
07-02-2014, 02:40 PM
So why not to draft him late in the draft?

If there are 2 guys you like at the end of the draft, you use the draft pick on the one you want to stash and keep draft rights to... and try to sign the undrafted one

BatManu20
07-02-2014, 02:45 PM
:lol In before the (unwarranted) meltdown when Cotton signs elsewhere

jhfenton
07-02-2014, 03:06 PM
If there are 2 guys you like at the end of the draft, you use the draft pick on the one you want to stash and keep draft rights to... and try to sign the undrafted one

Exactly. You can't really draft and stash an American player who is ready and wants to play in the NBA *now*. You draft the foreign guy to keep his rights locked up and try to sign the USA guy to an unguaranteed training camp contract.

spurraider21
07-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Typical Spurs move. Under the radar and will probably work out just fine.
i'm getting tired of that expression :lol... the spurs could literally make ANY move at this point and people will call it a typical spurs move.

Vic Petro
07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Let's hope he's more Patty Mills than Jack McClinton.

waisman
07-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Bonner retire .
make roster space .

Mr. Body
07-02-2014, 03:50 PM

None, really. Just piecing through when the FO might have known about various injuries and guessing what they might do about resigning Mills.

Darius McCrary
07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
My prediction he averages 10.5 2.5 and 1.0 off the bench with Mills out, EASILY.

Prime Time
07-02-2014, 05:24 PM
This guy just looks like a Spurs-y dude. When you look at his face, it's easy to imagine a Spurs jersey underneath.

But I'll have to wait in the SL before I make a legit judgement. His college stats are sketchy to me due to him playing 40 minutes a game.

Brazil
07-02-2014, 05:44 PM
:lol spurs with the who ? goods per par

poeticism707
07-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Even if Patty resigns,

could get serious burn at back up.

Nice insurance policy,

for a similar player.

phxspurfan
07-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Even if Patty resigns,

I sure hope Patty doesn't resign. He would lose a lot of money.

tim_duncan_fan
07-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Looks like a late first rounder to me. I don't get why he wasn't taken.

Seems to have a sick jumper off the dribble. Patty is probably a bit faster, but this dude looks like he might have a bit of court vision too.

SilverSpur
07-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Eager to watch Bryce/Slowmo backcourt kill it in summer league!

That would be like watching the cartoon " Speedy Gonzalez and Slow Poke Rodriguez ". LOL

jkid12456
07-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I think he is as fast as Patty and his dribbling/ball handle may be better than Patty.

ur a joke.

Spurs9
07-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Well this is unexpected, time to youtube some videos of his.

Spur|n|Austin
07-02-2014, 09:12 PM

I know it's Jabari, just passing it along.

adonis827
07-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Looks like Jack McClinton and Denmon

pad300
07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Would rather see TJ Bray of Princeton

Meets Hoopsanalyst's criteria for being both a SG and PG prospects, no red flags. Was Boxscoregeeks 2nd highest rated NCAA player. 6'6" and 205 - decent size for a SG (no other measurements that I can find).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/T.J ... 852/stats/

He shot 64.3% from 2 and 40.8% from 3 - much higher percentages than Bryce (45.1% and 36.7%), with the same A/40 (5.8 vs 5.9) and less TO's/40 (2.0 vs 2.4). Of course, as a bigger player he's a much better rebounder (5.4 R/40 vs 3.5 R/40). Gray gets more steals (1.5/40 vs 1.0/40 ) and blocks (0.2/40 vs 0.1 /40). Bray is also more used to not using all of the team's possessions... which neither of these guys should do in the NBA

People who are big enough to defend 2's and pass well enough to support a shoot first PG are really nice in our system - see the success of Manu and Belinelli.

Signing Cotton gives us too many small guards IMO (Parker, Mills, Cojo + Cotton) vs adding to the wings, which are a bit thin - especially with manu being next year 37 and stress fractured...

tim_duncan_fan
07-02-2014, 10:29 PM
So have we signed this guy or no?

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 11:05 PM
So have we signed this guy or no?

I don't know. ProjectSpurs is still claiming they have agreed to terms:

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/source-bryce-cotton-signs-two-year-deal-with-spurs.html

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Poundint The Rock, too...

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/7/2/5865545/getting-to-know-the-newest-spur-bryce-cotton

Darius McCrary
07-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Let's see Paul Allen's opinion.

xmas1997
07-03-2014, 12:08 PM
KSAT-TV sports news last night at 10 said he signed too.

BackHome
07-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Would rather see TJ Bray of Princeton

Meets Hoopsanalyst's criteria for being both a SG and PG prospects, no red flags. Was Boxscoregeeks 2nd highest rated NCAA player. 6'6" and 205 - decent size for a SG (no other measurements that I can find).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/T.J ... 852/stats/

He shot 64.3% from 2 and 40.8% from 3 - much higher percentages than Bryce (45.1% and 36.7%), with the same A/40 (5.8 vs 5.9) and less TO's/40 (2.0 vs 2.4). Of course, as a bigger player he's a much better rebounder (5.4 R/40 vs 3.5 R/40). Gray gets more steals (1.5/40 vs 1.0/40 ) and blocks (0.2/40 vs 0.1 /40). Bray is also more used to not using all of the team's possessions... which neither of these guys should do in the NBA

People who are big enough to defend 2's and pass well enough to support a shoot first PG are really nice in our system - see the success of Manu and Belinelli.

Signing Cotton gives us too many small guards IMO (Parker, Mills, Cojo + Cotton) vs adding to the wings, which are a bit thin - especially with manu being next year 37 and stress fractured...

I agree but I would have gone after:

DeAndre Kane:

PG - Iowa State

Strength
6'5 pg 200pds
Good at attacking the rim
Plays good defense can guard pg and sg
Good Passer

Weakness
25 yrs old not much upside
average shooter
FT 63%

Cotton gives a lot more offense but man he only weighs 160 pds..

eDizzle20
07-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Cotton's hesitation dribble is absolutely ridiculous. His finishing ability around the bucket is pretty special too. It will be exciting to watch him in Summer League. It would be pretty special for him to make the roster.

Cloud786
07-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Spurs have signed bryce cotton. Terms of the contract have not been announced.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/140707_spurs_sign_bryce_cotton

BatManu20
07-07-2014, 05:39 PM
His 6'1 listing is generous but I've liked this kid a lot since I saw him light up Creighton in the Big East Conference Championship this year. Definitely undersized but kid's a player and has a ton of heart. Glad we signed him.

Darkwaters
07-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Any indication that hes more than just a camp body?

The early timing on this signing is a little unusual. But not overly so considering they know they'll have a need at his position.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Any indication that hes more than just a camp body?

the fact that there's a press release.

Darkwaters
07-07-2014, 05:47 PM
the fact that there's a press release.

Even camp bodies get press releases. It's the formal way that the team acknowledges they signed somebody. No, the press release in and of itself isn't unusual.

Although, with camp bodies it is sometimes different. Since we usually sign them in bunches we usually have one press release that covers multiple players.

SpursFan86
07-07-2014, 05:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLzw9ZlNw0

xmas1997
07-07-2014, 05:56 PM
He still has to make the team.

Spurs Brazil
07-07-2014, 05:56 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Cotton's contract is a make-good deal for camp. Will be a tall order, given Spurs already have as many as 13 spots spoken for.

SnakeBoy
07-07-2014, 05:59 PM
I like this signing. Spurs sometimes have trouble when other teams go small, now Pop can counter by going midget.

Chinook
07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Summer league got even more interesting. If only Bertans could join.

xmas1997
07-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Chinook, can either/or McRoberts and Granger renege on their deals if their deals are predicated on James being on the team and he signs elsewhere?

Chinook
07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Chinook, can either/or McRoberts and Granger renege on their deals if their deals are predicated on James being on the team and he signs elsewhere?

They can. Why are you asking in this thread?

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Summer league got even more interesting. If only Bertans could join.

What are the chances we could trade Cojo? He is a bit bigger, longer, which gives him defensive advantages, but how often does Pop believe his defense is advantageous enough to put him in the game during nongarbage minutes? Almost never. If Cotton impresses, would anyone pick up his 2 million dollar remaining year and give us a second rounder maybe?

xmas1997
07-07-2014, 06:13 PM
They can. Why are you asking in this thread?

Thanks, I saw your post here and wanted to catch you before you left.

pgardn
Brief hi lights are difficult.

But... Not one left handed layup and right, right, right.

Would be nice to see some scoops with the left.

Chinook
What are the chances we could trade Cojo? He is a bit bigger, longer, which gives him defensive advantages, but how often does Pop believe his defense is advantageous enough to put him in the game during nongarbage minutes? Almost never. If Cotton impresses, would anyone pick up his 2 million dollar remaining year and give us a second rounder maybe?

Joseph is the back backup PG. He's not leaving. Cotton is more likely to never play an NBA game than he is to beat Cory out this year.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Joseph is the back backup PG. He's not leaving. Cotton is more likely to nevr never play an NBA game than he is to beat Cory out this year.

He's the backup's backup. Next man up by default the new backup, until the real backup gets back up. But, he can be improved upon. Bryce is small, and his chances are slim, granted. I expect him not to make the team. But, that wasn't the question I mean to ask. I take it you think the chances are GOOD that we would be able to trade Cojo for a 2nd round pick, as you think that highly of him? If we were so inclined.

Chinook
07-07-2014, 06:27 PM
He's the backup's backup. Next man up by default the new backup, until the real backup gets back up. But, he can be improved upon. Bryce is small, and his chances are slim, granted. I expect him not to make the team. But, that wasn't the question I mean to ask. I take it you think the chances are GOOD that we would be able to trade Cojo for a 2nd round pick, as you think that highly of him? If we were so inclined.

No, man. You asked what the chances were that Joseph would be traded. I'd say they are almost non-existent. As to whether someone would take him. Yes, they would.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 06:31 PM
No, man. You asked what the chances were that Joseph would be traded. I'd say they are almost non-existent. As to whether someone would take him. Yes, they would.

No, dude. COULD. Get off your high horse, again. Reread.

Chinook
07-07-2014, 06:37 PM
No, dude. COULD. Get off your high horse, again. Reread.

Those sentences are logically equivalent. In fact, your sentence is redundant. You're asking of there is a possibility of there being a possibility of Joseph being traded. Theoretically, yes, but functionally, no.

TheyCallMePro
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm very disappointed in this signing for 2 reasons: One, Bryce Cotton is just not a very good basketball player. He averaged 39.9 minutes out of 40 his senior season at Providence, and being a diehard college basketball fan, I watched more than my fair share of Providence games. Cotton DOMINATED the ball like no one else. And he's not a pass-first PG by any means. Nor is he a shooting specialist like Patty Mills. He's someone who has never played anything close to Spurs basketball in his life, and that's very concerning.

Second, there's just no room on this roster, and signing Cotton (and assuming he makes the roster out of training camp) clogs up the back-up PG position once again. We don't need another back-up PG, as Joseph is more than capable, and IMO, much better than Cotton as it stands now. And if Cotton makes the roster, it will mean Matt Bonner won't be on the team, and Ginobili recently said that bringing Matt Bonner back is crucial. Cotton being on the roster creates a fair amount of animosity amongst the players, as Bonner is beloved, and Joseph was eying his chance to prove himself.

There are some pros to signing Cotton though. He's a very mature and good kid, who will work very hard from day one. Also, he's an exceptional driving PG, and his speed and quickness off the bench could help the second unit tremendously. He's a streaky shooter, and a "meh" defender and rebounder, but he is a very fierce competitor, and it's unlikely that there would be a significant drop-off when he comes in.

My prediction: We re-sign Matt Bonner, sign Kyle Anderson, and reach the max 15 roster spots when Baynes accepts the QO. Then Cotton gets cut in training camp and goes to the Toros instead, waiting to see if we need him while Patty Mills is out.

ceperez
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
The way I figure this signing, the Spurs didn't need yet another Patty Mills like player, however they may have been extremely impressed with Cotton's talent and work ethic that they could not pass not signing him.

He's too small for the NBA, however that 40" vertical is indeed impressive.

xmas1997
07-07-2014, 06:47 PM
With Mills being out for most of the season, it would be highly doubtful that Cojo would be traded since after Tony, Cojo is the PG, in fact ONLY PG left, who is most familiar with the Spurs system.
He could be traded, yes, but they would be stabbing themselves in the foot to do so.
Cotton still has to make the team.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Those sentences are logically equivalent. In fact, your sentence is redundant. You're asking of there is a possibility of there being a possibility of Joseph being traded. Theoretically, yes, but functionally, no.

Sheesh. No, asking what are the chances we COULD find a taker for Cojo (if Bryce Cotton impressed, or anyone else for that matter- as roster spots aren't available) as opposed to whether or not we actually WOULD are not logically equivalent.

When you find out you misread, you don't get to redefine the statement to be equivalent to what you wanted it to say. I misread and lose focus, sometimes multi-tasking, etc. it's no big deal to admit you're wrong, really.

jhfenton
07-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Mature, a hard worker...sounds like the type of player you want in training camp, when you need the bodies. It's very unlikely he makes the team, but if he impresses the team enough for them to move someone else at the bottom of the roster--I nominate Ayres!--then that's a good problem to have. Failing that if he shows promise, the Toros will at least have first DL dibs on him.

ceperez
07-07-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm very disappointed in this signing for 2 reasons: One, Bryce Cotton is just not a very good basketball player. He averaged 39.9 minutes out of 40 his senior season at Providence, and being a diehard college basketball fan, I watched more than my fair share of Providence games. Cotton DOMINATED the ball like no one else. And he's not a pass-first PG by any means. Nor is he a shooting specialist like Patty Mills. He's someone who has never played anything close to Spurs basketball in his life, and that's very concerning.

Second, there's just no room on this roster, and signing Cotton (and assuming he makes the roster out of training camp) clogs up the back-up PG position once again. We don't need another back-up PG, as Joseph is more than capable, and IMO, much better than Cotton as it stands now. And if Cotton makes the roster, it will mean Matt Bonner won't be on the team, and Ginobili recently said that bringing Matt Bonner back is crucial. Cotton being on the roster creates a fair amount of animosity amongst the players, as Bonner is beloved, and Joseph was eying his chance to prove himself.

There are some pros to signing Cotton though. He's a very mature and good kid, who will work very hard from day one. Also, he's an exceptional driving PG, and his speed and quickness off the bench could help the second unit tremendously. He's a streaky shooter, and a "meh" defender and rebounder, but he is a very fierce competitor, and it's unlikely that there would be a significant drop-off when he comes in.

My prediction: We re-sign Matt Bonner, sign Kyle Anderson, and reach the max 15 roster spots when Baynes accepts the QO. Then Cotton gets cut in training camp and goes to the Toros instead, waiting to see if we need him while Patty Mills is out.

First time I heard that Ginobili mention bringing back Matt Bonner. Link please?

The Spurs are taking a gamble here that his shooting, passing and defensive deficiencies can be corrected. The Spurs coaching staff are definitely much better than Providence. The Spurs may probably just play him the way the Spurs play Mills. Run around the court and catch and shoot. Not someone who would run the offense. I in fact doubt the Spurs will let Cotton or Anderson run the offense.

Which brings me to the question of Anderson. I doubt he'll be playing point guard for the Spurs. If not though, will he be playing PF like Diaw?

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 06:56 PM

FWIW this seems a more likely scenario than many others from what We read here and abroad. So, probably no reason to be upset about it.

ceperez
07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
FWIW this seems a more likely scenario than many others from what We read here and abroad. So, probably no reason to be upset about it.

I'm still wondering why we need another point guard. Parker and Cojo are natural point guards. Anderson played point guard in college. Manu is more than capable of orchestrating the offense. Diaw can run the offense too. That's 5 players. That's not even including Patty Mills. C'mon, there's comes a point when you have too many point guards!

Anyway, I still like the signing. If he can shoot like Patty then this would be a steal.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Mature, a hard worker...sounds like the type of player you want in training camp, when you need the bodies. It's very unlikely he makes the team, but if he impresses the team enough for them to move someone else at the bottom of the roster--I nominate Ayres!--then that's a good problem to have. Failing that if he shows promise, the Toros will at least have first DL dibs on him.

I think we would all nominate Ayres, but I doubt they want four small guards on the roster. Of course, they only have two for 7 months.

Chinook
07-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Sheesh. No, asking what are the chances we COULD find a taker for Cojo (if Bryce Cotton impressed, or anyone else for that matter- as roster spots aren't available) as opposed to whether or not we actually WOULD are not logically equivalent.

When you find out you misread, you don't get to redefine the statement to be equivalent to what you wanted it to say. I misread and lose focus, sometimes multi-tasking, etc. it's no big deal to admit you're wrong, really.

I already answered that question. I thought with all the fluff about losing his spot, you were talking about trading him and not his value.

ChumpDumper
07-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Rolls need to be slowed.

Chinook
07-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Rolls need to be slowed.

What, did Cotton back out again?

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm still wondering why we need another point guard. Parker and Cojo are natural point guards. Anderson played point guard in college. Manu is more than capable of orchestrating the offense. Diaw can run the offense too. That's 5 players. That's not even including Patty Mills. C'mon, there's comes a point when you have too many point guards!

Anyway, I still like the signing. If he can shoot like Patty then this would be a steal.

Yes. They will probably make due just fine until Patty comes back. But, what if Anderson doesn't take to NBA point forward (good chance), what if Ginobili is out simultaneously with Patty (decent chance). Then you have only Tony, Cojo, and I guess Marco...maybe...pickin's start getting a little slimmer at that point. Tony ends up playing lots of minutes. Bad. Cojo is serviceable, but not great. He'll be ok, in an offense that gets play-making from other sources. He's been here years so I don't think Pop ships him out, especially with Patty in a way, but if anyone is signed someone's gotta go. (Assuming Baynes and Bonner come back.) The leisure we have of talking about the 16th spot: MLE, BAE, signings above and beyond Matty and Baynes. They would have to be considered in conjunction with trades. We're close to a full stack. One in, one out. So who's out? Matty? Ayres? Cojo? Daye? Marco?

Mel_13
07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Yes. They will probably make due just fine until Patty comes back. But, what if Anderson doesn't take to NBA point forward (good chance), what if Ginobili is out simultaneously with Patty (decent chance). Then you have only Tony, Cojo, and I guess Marco...maybe...pickin's start getting a little slimmer at that point.

Right. This gives them almost 4 months to decide whether they need to commit a roster spot to Cotton.

jeebus
07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Why oh why didn't the Spurms release Daye? We could use his roster spot for someone useful.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Right. This gives them almost 4 months to decide whether they need to commit a roster spot to Cotton.

In the off chance they think they need a scoring guard/play-making guard, that's where the speculation becomes interesting. Could you trade Cojo? If they had to bring in Bryce, Cojo almost has to be letting them down. Maybe you can't find a trade for Cojo, so who's next?

DesignatedT
07-07-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm very disappointed in this signing for 2 reasons.

Not sure why this would make anyone very disappointed. Basically, it's no different then anyone else deciding to play for the Spurs Summer League team except the Spurs get first dibs on him if he turns out to be solid. If he doesn't, then they both move on.

AFBlue
07-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Why oh why didn't the Spurms release Daye? We could use his roster spot for someone useful.

The Spurs can carry 20 players through training camp. Daye played well enough in limited minutes to warrant a better look. They'll get that chance to evaluate him fully in training camp and decide if he's worth retaining. He's basically making the vet min, so it's not like they're tied to him for any real money.

Personally, I'd keep him as the Bonner replacement. But I understand people who have different opinions.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 09:08 PM
The Spurs can carry 20 players through training camp. Daye played well enough in limited minutes to warrant a better look. They'll get that chance to evaluate him fully in training camp and decide if he's worth retaining. He's basically making the vet min, so it's not like they're tied to him for any real money.

Personally, I'd keep him as the Bonner replacement. But I understand people who have different opinions.

And, 250k of it they would have had to pay him anyway.

FireMicoHalili
07-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Http://www.twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN doesn't take a lot of reading to acquaint oneself with the signing

jeebus
07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Daye is a crap Boner replacement. He can sometimes make a 3 but can't even pretend to have a game inside the arc or act like he plays any sort of defense. I'd rather keep Boner for another year, then bring over one of our stashes from Europe or whatever. Deal with it then.

Darkwaters
07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

1000% concur. I'd rather bring back Bonner for 2 years than have 1 year of Austin Daye. Bonner definitely isn't a major piece. But as a 5th Big hes always read to suit up and play hard. Plus he'll be just as cheap and obviously knows the system. And I think Matt Bonner needs a 3rd ring!

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 09:46 PM
1000% concur. I'd rather bring back Bonner for 2 years than have 1 year of Austin Daye. Bonner definitely isn't a major piece. But as a 5th Big hes always read to suit up and play hard. Plus he'll be just as cheap and obviously knows the system. And I think Matt Bonner needs a 3rd ring!

Not that it's a significant difference, but he's about 400k more expensive, actually, I think. 1.0 vs 1.4, and they have already guaranteed Daye. So, they would have to pay Bonner 1.4, and Daye 1.0. If they sign someone else, and sign Bonner, and release Daye, it will cost them 2.4 million, no?

BTW, I would like to keep both if Daye does well this summer, but obviously I think he's considerably more skilled than you two.

Darkwaters
07-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Not that it's a significant difference, but he's about 400k more expensive, actually, I think. 1.0 vs 1.4, and they have already guaranteed Daye. So, they would have to pay Bonner 1.4, and Daye 1.0. If they sign someone else, and sign Bonner, and release Daye, it will cost them 2.4 million, no?

BTW, I would like to keep both if Daye does well this summer, but obviously I think he's considerably more skilled than you two.

If you sign Bonner to a minimum contract the league will pay about 500k of his salary. By my rough math about 533k actually.

Darkwaters
07-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Heres an interesting scenario that I think might happen. What if the Spurs don't sign Bonner and keep him somewhere in the front office and allow Cotton to make the team. Once Mills returns they waive Cotton and send him to Austin and THEN sign Bonner for the remainder of the season. Frankly, something under the table like this might actually be a realistic plot we'd see them do.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 10:11 PM
If you sign Bonner to a minimum contract the league will pay about 500k of his salary. By my rough math about 533k actually.

I was not aware of league contributions. Thanks.

littlecoyotecoin
07-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Heres an interesting scenario that I think might happen. What if the Spurs don't sign Bonner and keep him somewhere in the front office and allow Cotton to make the team. Once Mills returns they waive Cotton and send him to Austin and THEN sign Bonner for the remainder of the season. Frankly, something under the table like this might actually be a realistic plot we'd see them do.

That is an interesting plot. It would definitely solve a lot of issues. Barring any rules against such practices. Historical comparisons? It really does bring the whole team back in tact + Anderson, adds a PG for the time needed, and then we only need to consider trades and releases if we sign someone to the MLE or BAE. Can't be legal!

Darkwaters
07-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I was not aware of league contributions. Thanks.

This is only in regards to veterans minimum players.

Darkwaters
07-07-2014, 10:40 PM
That is an interesting plot. It would definitely solve a lot of issues. Barring any rules against such practices. Historical comparisons? It really does bring the whole team back in tact + Anderson, adds a PG for the time needed, and then we only need to consider trades and releases if we sign someone to the MLE or BAE. Can't be legal!

If you omit the front office job then it is absolutely legal. It's that front office position that makes it questionable. Might be fine. Might not. I definitely wouldn't know what the fine print says exactly.

Still, he can stand on the sidelines and be ready to play. How many free agents are unsigned every year? Just b/c some other team might give him a viable offer doesn't mean he'd have to accept! Some team could (very foolishly) offer him the max and it would be entirely legal for him to stand pat waiting on that minimum offer mid-season from the Spurs.

littlecoyotecoin
07-08-2014, 05:33 AM
If you omit the front office job then it is absolutely legal. It's that front office position that makes it questionable. Might be fine. Might not. I definitely wouldn't know what the fine print says exactly.

Still, he can stand on the sidelines and be ready to play. How many free agents are unsigned every year? Just b/c some other team might give him a viable offer doesn't mean he'd have to accept! Some team could (very foolishly) offer him the max and it would be entirely legal for him to stand pat waiting on that minimum offer mid-season from the Spurs.

Yes, but I am wondering about the legality of paying him to be a sixteenth man in a suit, as an assistant. I could see where they could have some rule against that, say no coaches being able to play in the same season after being a coach. It could be a way of circumventing cap rules, roster limits (in this case), etc. It happens so rarely, maybe, I could also see them not caring to put a rule in against it, or the PA arguing to allow it as it gives older veterans more employment options. Who knows.

AFBlue
07-08-2014, 06:14 AM
Daye is a crap Boner replacement. He can sometimes make a 3 but can't even pretend to have a game inside the arc or act like he plays any sort of defense. I'd rather keep Boner for another year, then bring over one of our stashes from Europe or whatever. Deal with it then.

Bonner's role up until the playoffs was as the 5th or 6th big playing spot minutes. While I think you're overstating Bonner's contribution, I could honestly care less if Daye is a downgrade in that role. It makes a marginal difference. I would also argue that no one, including the Spurs, really knows what Daye could realistically contribute if given more opportunity. That's why they brought him back imo; to continue evaluating him based on some intriguing early returns in his half-season stint.

littlecoyotecoin
07-08-2014, 07:35 AM
...in his half-season stint.

He played 14 games (the last three or so coming off a slight injury and illness), if you can count some of them. Some were for 1-3 minutes. 17% of a season if you don't count playoff games, even less of a season if you do. He has hardly gotten a fair shake, here, yet, like in Toronto and Memphis, really. And Detroit he was pretty good early on until the team imploded. He got no training camp here, obviously, either. And, even in this short time, as you mentioned, they see something worth evaluating a little further. Good on him.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Bonner's role up until the playoffs was as the 5th or 6th big playing spot minutes. While I think you're overstating Bonner's contribution, I could honestly care less if Daye is a downgrade in that role. It makes a marginal difference. I would also argue that no one, including the Spurs, really knows what Daye could realistically contribute if given more opportunity. That's why they brought him back imo; to continue evaluating him based on some intriguing early returns in his half-season stint.

I agree, the only requirement for Bonner's position is to pose a credible threat from the 3 point line. Daye has already proven that he can be deadly from there.

In terms of defense, the way the Spurs play defense, they never jump, so Daye's length would prove to be more of a challenge.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 08:01 AM
He played 14 games (the last three or so coming off a slight injury and illness), if you can count some of them. Some were for 1-3 minutes. 17% of a season if you don't count playoff games, even less of a season if you do. He has hardly gotten a fair shake, here, yet, like in Toronto and Memphis, really. And Detroit he was pretty good early on until the team imploded. He got no training camp here, obviously, either. And, even in this short time, as you mentioned, they see something worth evaluating a little further. Good on him.

Given the small sample size when he was healthy, he indeed played remarkably well.

What is it really about Austin Daye that a lot of folks dislike? I don't get it, there been a ton of players that got a lot of hype.... Gist, Hairston, Eddie Curry, James White, .... that never made it with the Spurs. Now we have this player that exploded with 6 threes in a game and was re-signed by the Spurs, yet we have all this hate. I don't get it!

Mel_13
07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
yet we have all this hate. I don't get it!

Not sharing your level of optimism is not the same thing as hate. There's nothing resembling hate for Daye on this page.

ceperez
07-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Not sharing your level of optimism is not the same thing as hate. There's nothing resembling hate for Daye on this page.

I would classify ranking Bonner ahead of Daye as hate.

Mel_13
07-08-2014, 08:26 AM
I would classify ranking Bonner ahead of Daye as hate.

That's your extreme optimism about Daye talking.

littlecoyotecoin
07-08-2014, 09:24 AM
That's your extreme optimism about Daye talking.

We're arguing semantics, but if this doesn't count as message board hate, our definitions are too far apart to come to a resolution:

"Daye is a crap..."

Of course this is a person that refers to Bonner as "Boner" and Spurs as "Spurms" so you may dismiss his opinion automatically, which I would understand. Beavis and Butthead had some great takes, but you had to listen a long, long time for them to get to one.

Mel_13
07-08-2014, 09:32 AM
We're arguing semantics, but if this doesn't count as message board hate, our definitions are too far apart to come to a resolution:

"Daye is a crap..."

Of course this is a person that refers to Bonner as "Boner" and Spurs as "Spurms" so you may dismiss his opinion automatically, which I would understand. Beavis and Butthead had some great takes, but you had to listen a long, long time for them to get to one.

There are undoubtedly some examples like that to be found. My response was to a particular poster and what he said on this page and in other places in reference to Daye. Ranking Bonner ahead of Daye does not make one a Daye-hater.

littlecoyotecoin
07-08-2014, 10:29 AM
No problem, you said this page, and that was from this page. So, Perez could have been lumping them together.

boutons_deux
07-09-2014, 10:39 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2122846-every-teams-best-undrafted-free-agent-signing-to-date/page/28

SpursFan86
07-09-2014, 02:33 PM

This basically guarantees what we've already known...Cotton by no means has a guaranteed roster spot this season.

wildbill2u
07-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I had high hopes for Daye when he shot the lights out with all those 3s in his first game. As I recall, after that he couldn't buy a basket at the Farmers Market for the rest of the season. So I'm not on his bandwagon at this point.

Still, his length gives him some rebounding ability and he may yet show some consistent shooting skills. And I remember how long it took for a lot of competent rotation players to really 'get it' and begin to get some minutes here. (Barry, Mills, Green, etc.). So lets see what he has in SL and ultimately the coaches will decide if he has the right stuff to be a Spur.

littlecoyotecoin
07-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I had high hopes for Daye when he shot the lights out with all those 3s in his first game. As I recall, after that he couldn't buy a basket at the Farmers Market for the rest of the season. So I'm not on his bandwagon at this point.

Still, his length gives him some rebounding ability and he may yet show some consistent shooting skills. And I remember how long it took for a lot of competent rotation players to really 'get it' and begin to get some minutes here. (Barry, Mills, Green, etc.). So lets see what he has in SL and ultimately the coaches will decide if he has the right stuff to be a Spur.

Yeah, when you are shooting 75-100% from 3, you're bound to cool off. But, most importantly, his shot is pure lookng and he ended shooting over 40% from 3 for his time with The Spurs. 41%, I believe. I am not so sure Danny, Matty, and Belli have shooting percentages as high as they do on another team. Shooters seem to prosper here.

toki9
07-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Didn't he hurt his back soon after that Philadelphia game? I thought there was a mention of it somewhere.

littlecoyotecoin
07-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Didn't he hurt his back soon after that Philadelphia game? I thought there was a mention of it somewhere.

Yes, pulled a muscle in his back, then suffered a bout of Strep Throat.

"Austin Daye returned from both a lat strain and strep throat in Sunday's win vs. the Grizzlies, scoring two points in six minutes off the bench."

FireMicoHalili
07-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Acquired midseason. Sample size too small to determine whether he's a good fit. Totality of career says he's halfway out the door though.

ceperez
07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Acquired midseason. Sample size too small to determine whether he's a good fit. Totality of career says he's halfway out the door though.

Yeah but if you looked at Green's career prior to the Spurs, or even Mills, then its clear that these two players aren't supposed to be in the NBA.

Green and Mills are 2nd round draft picks. Green was waived several times by the Spurs. Mills was waived and played in the Chinese league. I mean talk about rock bottom!

Daye gets picked up with 3/4th of the seaon over, here's a 15th pick in the draft. Clearly physically he has more upside than either Green and Mills. To even say that he's halfway out the door is ridiculous.

FireMicoHalili
07-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Yeah but if you looked at Green's career prior to the Spurs, or even Mills, then its clear that these two players aren't supposed to be in the NBA.

Green and Mills are 2nd round draft picks. Green was waived several times by the Spurs. Mills was waived and played in the Chinese league. I mean talk about rock bottom!

Daye gets picked up with 3/4th of the seaon over, here's a 15th pick in the draft. Clearly physically he has more upside than either Green and Mills. To even say that he's halfway out the door is ridiculous.
Halfway out the door meaning it's make or break for the kid. He's on a contract year, on Year 2 under Coach Pop's system, and almost hitting his prime. I have high hopes for him and am intrigued by his skill set, and I'd be dismayed to see him underperform this season. Not that ridiculous now, I hope.

ceperez
07-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Halfway out the door meaning it's make or break for the kid. He's on a contract year, on Year 2 under Coach Pop's system, and almost hitting his prime. I have high hopes for him and am intrigued by his skill set, and I'd be dismayed to see him underperform this season. Not that ridiculous now, I hope.

My apologies, you should have said 'Halfway in the door', then I would be in perfect agreement.

FireMicoHalili
07-10-2014, 12:17 PM
My apologies, you should have said 'Halfway in the door', then I would be in perfect agreement.
There's also this adage among sports writers, non-verbatim: players aren't usually themselves once they're out of San Antonio. Not sure if they have evidence to back the claim former Spurs rarely flourish once they leave SA, though recent departures tilt in support of that argument. Big fan of Daye's length and shooting, hope he finds his niche his year.

littlecoyotecoin
07-10-2014, 03:10 PM

Fire, see my other post re: midseason. He played only 17% of a season, and that's if we count several games where he played 1-3 minutes. So, nowhere NEAR half a season even by the most generous definition of "half" or "mid". CE addressed why past performance with teams like Detroit and Toronto might not be the best indicator of future performance with a quality team. I think he's half in the door from all circumstantial evidence. Maybe not. Might depend on free agency signing or maybe he's playing vs. Ayers for a spot or something like that. He is only making 1m, so if they got a really good opportunity on a good FA, maybe they would eat that 1m he's guaranteed, I don't know.

look_at_g_shred
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Doubt this guy makes the team. He'll flourish in the d-league though.

littlecoyotecoin
07-10-2014, 03:13 PM

Ok, I get you re: 1/2 way out the door, yes. A contract year. Make or break. Yes. But, 2nd year under Pop's system? Not even close.

ceperez
07-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Doubt this guy makes the team. He'll flourish in the d-league though.

He already made the team. He's got a one year guaranteed contract. ooops... thought you were talking about Daye.

Considering there aren't any spots left, it's a long shot, but he may impress.

FireMicoHalili
07-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Ok, I get you re: 1/2 way out the door, yes. A contract year. Make or break. Yes. But, 2nd year under Pop's system? Not even close.
Good on you doing the math, man. I also think he'd so show be a good fit as a back-up SF and a bargain at $1M. I'm not sure what to expect of him this year since he played limited minutes last year despite our glaring need at SF and there's a chance to be overtaken this year by a rookie. He's also had some time to observe and grow into his shoes so there's definitely an expectation of improvement, I'm just not sure how much opportunity it's he'll be given. His inclusion in the SL seems like an audition; it also sometimes seems like they want to provide the SL team with a veteran presence, though I'm unsure how to feel about two people older than Joseph, and benchwarmers at that, compete in SL. I'm sure there have been older people, it's just the first time in years I've seen Spurs plug in two vets.

I'd happily engage you some more but you're right, 17% of last season and a few games this season probably isn't a fair shake. This is Cotton's thread though, apologies to the OP and the mods.

littlecoyotecoin
07-10-2014, 07:41 PM
There's also this adage among sports writers, non-verbatim: players aren't usually themselves once they're out of San Antonio. Not sure if they have evidence to back the claim former Spurs rarely flourish once they leave SA, though recent departures tilt in support of that argument. Big fan of Daye's length and shooting, hope he finds his niche his year.

I don't think that is so much an indictment of the players as the other teams in the league being so poorly run that they can't get the most out of their talent.

Yuixafun
07-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Just go watch the Big East tournament and the round 1 game against UNC and you'll see all you need to see. You'll fall in love with the kid.

You speak the truth..

That's exactly how I felt

I watched the video and such a pleasing style of play.. quick and fierce, skilled and can contort to finish

Very zippy

Deeply reminds me of Allen Iverson... not just the same dimensions, but their catlike moves and quicks, the way they pounce and have passion for the game

He can pass too when it's the best thing to do, and he does it with the same type of emphatic follow through when he tries to score

ceperez
01-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Scored 40 points in the last D-league game.

Heck, who cares if the Spurs already have Parker, Cojo and Mills..... sign the guy up! Waive Ayres!

SnakeBoy
01-20-2015, 07:59 PM
TP, Cojo, or Mills would average 40+ in the d-league...so no.

Hoops Czar
01-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Homeless Shabazz Napier, tbh.

moisaenz
01-20-2015, 08:34 PM
so are the spurs going to sign any guy that can score 40 points in the dleague??

Beaverfuzz
01-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Scored 40 points in the last D-league game.

Heck, who cares if the Spurs already have Parker, Cojo and Mills..... sign the guy up! Waive Ayres!

Was that on ESPN8 The Ocho?

Beaverfuzz
01-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Homeless Shabazz Napier, tbh.

No.

SpursFan86
02-23-2015, 02:18 PM

SPURt
07-26-2015, 07:58 AM
If Jimmer was black bump

Spurtacular
07-26-2015, 05:43 PM
If Jimmer was black bump

:lol I'd take Cotton and Jimmer over Williams and McCallum.

dabom
07-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Cotton and jimmer lol. Please stop.

Bruno
07-26-2015, 07:11 PM
:rolleyes

There would have had way more excitement around Cotton if he had a college career as brilliant as Fredette.