PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: pursuing Gasol

StrengthAndHonor
07-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 8m
RT rAmonashelburne:

In a surprising twist, OKC has come on strong with Pau Gasol, and described as a "frontrunner" for the Spaniard.

baseline bum
07-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Doesn't make any sense if he says he's after $10-$12 million, as OKC is over the cap and can only offer full MLE.

StrengthAndHonor
07-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Sign and Trade Perkins, and if they don't have any takers, they will probably waive him to create cap space.

jeebus
07-02-2014, 07:18 PM

Paussy and Tammy? Jabba.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Sign and Trade Perkins, and if they don't have any takers, they will probably waive him to create cap space.His salary would still count against the cap.

Mal
07-02-2014, 07:33 PM
His salary would still count against the cap.

Cant they just use amnesty on him ? I believe Perkins, Boozer and Parker are the last ones, whom can be amnestied.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Cant they just use amnesty on him ? I believe Perkins, Boozer and Parker are the last ones, whom can be amnestied.I think so.

Forgot he was still a candidate.

A lot of money to eat, and I still don't think it will free up any cap space. OKC does have a bunch of young people they could throw in on a trade, though.

StrengthAndHonor
07-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Yep. not waive but amnesty. Sorry.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Sensible trade could be Gasol for Perkins, McGary and some other crap.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I think so.

Forgot he was still a candidate.

A lot of money to eat, and I still don't think it will free up any cap space. OKC does have a bunch of young people they could throw in on a trade, though.

Not like OKC owner to anmesty though and blow cash like that. Sign and Trade is viable but that would be a pretty shitty return.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Not like OKC owner to anmesty though and blow cash like that. Sign and Trade is viable but that would be a pretty shitty return.Depends on who they send with Perkins. Since Perk is on his last season, it's not that bad. Guess it depends on who they think they can get with cap space and for how much.

Phillip
07-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Could be a really good pickup for OKC actually. He fits a huge hole on their team in providing post scoring, and gives them a long body.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Depends on who they send with Perkins. Since Perk is on his last season, it's not that bad. Guess it depends on who they think they can get with cap space and for how much.

I think it would be a real knee slapper though if Perk was in LA.

TIMMYtoZO
07-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Gasol in OKC wouldn't matter. Scotty Brooks is still their head coach.

Killakobe81
07-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Great points but Lakers should sign & trade pull a 1st rounder from thunder. HeckI'd take Perry Jones. But prefer a pick

Kidd K
07-02-2014, 08:16 PM
I seriously doubt he goes to OKC to play with two ball hogs that barely utilize their teammates or run plays while being forced to play center, and only getting an MLE.

Killakobe81
07-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I seriously doubt he goes to OKC to play with two ball hogs that barely utilize their teammates or run plays while being forced to play center, and only getting an MLE.

Makes little sense but nothing does these gm and owners didn't learn shit from New CBA and dumb ass player s buying their bullshit. Pau wants to be a sucker let him heat Spurs or maybe Mavs only teams I'm taking less for.

Kidd K
07-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Makes little sense but nothing does these gm and owners didn't learn shit from New CBA and dumb ass player s buying their bullshit. Pau wants to be a sucker let him heat Spurs or maybe Mavs only teams I'm taking less for.

It's weird, but even when I try to be objective, Spurs seem like the best fit for him. He will be welcomed, appreciated, and embraced by the fans, plus fit right in with the team imo. Not to mention good chance to win.

I don't see how he'd fit in very well with OKC (on or off court), or Miami (especially off court). I could see a Mavs fit work well though, good point there.

Findog
07-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I would imagine some team is going to meet his asking price, but Gasol on the Thunder would be pretty slick. It's not 2009 but he can still help an elite team. A frontline of Gasol, Adams and Ibaka, plus Durant and Westbrook? That is filthy.

baseline bum
07-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Sign and Trade Perkins, and if they don't have any takers, they will probably waive him to create cap space.

That only gets them $3.2 million under the cap.

sook
07-02-2014, 11:26 PM
thats a stupid move.

spurraider21
07-02-2014, 11:27 PM
yup and you can't combine cap with MLE, its one or the other

Killakobe81
07-02-2014, 11:31 PM
I would imagine some team is going to meet his asking price, but Gasol on the Thunder would be pretty slick. It's not 2009 but he can still help an elite team. A frontline of Gasol, Adams and Ibaka, plus Durant and Westbrook? That is filthy.

That lineup needs more spacing only Durant is a consistent deep threat.

MI21
07-02-2014, 11:36 PM
You have to question Sc:loltt Br:lol:lolks ability to get the most out of a player like Gasol and put him in the right positions to be a legit difference maker.

If that did happen though, Gasol on the Thunder would be ridiculous. Particularly against the Spurs.

Malik Hairston
07-03-2014, 12:25 AM
On paper, adding Gasol(even the Gasol of the past 2 years that has barely given any effort) would put them an entire level above the rest of the league, but as others have already said, their coach is still Scott Brooks, which would severely limit Gasol's skills, tbh..

Houston and OKC, trying to make moves to win a title, yet both refusing to remove the biggest roadblock:lol..

TheGoldStandard
07-03-2014, 12:30 AM
On paper, adding Gasol(even the Gasol of the past 2 years that has barely given any effort) would put them an entire level above the rest of the league, but as others have already said, their coach is still Scott Brooks, which would severely limit Gasol's skills, tbh..

Houston and OKC, trying to make moves to win a title, yet both refusing to remove the biggest roadblock:lol..

Gasol: So, do you want me to set the pick and drift or pop on the elbow?

Brooks: Just stand there with lots of energy.

RsxPiimp
07-03-2014, 12:56 AM

S&T works but the Lakers must be willing partners which I doubt considering it's from a team in the same conference much more to a team that has been spanking our asses for the past few years

Perk is owed 9 mil, I'd imagine Gasol would ask for 10-12 mil. Numbers fit, but obviously OKC needs to sweeten the deal. Add a young prospect or draft pick.

Donkeybong
07-03-2014, 12:57 AM
S&T works but the Lakers must be willing partners which I doubt considering it's from a team in the same conference much more to a team that has been spanking our asses for the past few years

Perk is owed 9 mil, I'd imagine Gasol would ask for 10-12 mil. Numbers fit, but obviously OKC needs to sweeten the deal. Add a young prospect or draft pick. how many years does perkins have?

Malik Hairston
07-03-2014, 12:58 AM
When will Laker fans start predicting Mitch will get Reggie Jackson + a 1st to sweeten the deal, tbh?..you know it's coming:lol..

Splits
07-03-2014, 01:01 AM
how many years does perkins have?

1. and if they can't trade him they'd be stupid not to amnesty and free up cap space with future HOF Laimbeer ready to take over.

RsxPiimp
07-03-2014, 01:04 AM
how many years does perkins have?

Expiring. Lakers could use him as bait by deadline or just let him come off the books along with that TOSB Canadian freeing a ginormous $19 million cap space to entice Kevin Love :p:

100%duncan
07-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Gasol: So, do you want me to set the pick and drift or pop on the elbow?

Brooks: Just stand there with lots of energy.

:lol

mystargtr34
07-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Gasol on the Thunder could mean game over for the rest of the league.. it would eliminate almost all of their deficiencies in one hit.. Except for Michael J Fox.

Thunder become instant favourites with Pau IMO.

100%duncan
07-03-2014, 02:51 AM
OKC still has Scott BrooksPERIOD.

Clipper Nation
07-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Never mind who the coach is - Durbeta is still their first option.... in other words, they ain't winning shit :lol

Killakobe81
07-03-2014, 07:26 AM
I just hope if he goes we can get a late 1st rounder for him.

Clipper Nation
07-03-2014, 08:00 AM
I just hope if he goes we can get a late 1st rounder for him.
So after years of Lakerfan shitting on MVPau, calling him soft, a pussy, beta, etc., you're now expecting a first-round pick for him? Can't have it both ways :lol

ambchang
07-03-2014, 08:08 AM
MVPau to OKC for Perkins and lamb would work.

But that would be scary for the rest of the league. Gasol in the high post with durant and Westbrook cutting to the basket is pretty much automatic buckets. Ibaka can set screens and pop while Reggie Jackson and durant can spot up from the outside. The game can be so fluid for OKC.

MVPau can also defend the post and have ibaka roam.

Game over guys.

Mori Chu
07-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I just don't think Westbrick + Durant would really share the ball with Pau. He'd be bored to tears out there.

Findog
07-03-2014, 09:13 AM

No matter how you slice it, Gasol would be a big boost to them. Doesn't necessarily clinch anything, be it getting to the Finals or winning them.

Thread
07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
^Hey, shit for brains, go back and fuck your mother some more.

oh crap
07-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Never mind who the coach is - Durbeta is still their first option.... in other words, they ain't winning shit :lol

wait, i thought he was "durbeta" because he was the second option on his own team?! and holy shit, your schtick is so played out already.

Killakobe81
07-03-2014, 01:10 PM
So after years of Lakerfan shitting on MVPau, calling him soft, a pussy, beta, etc., you're now expecting a first-round pick for him? Can't have it both ways :lol

1. OKC's 1st rounder is basically a high 2nd.
2. when you are that close to a title you overpay
3. I like MVPau sure he is overrated on here but underrated on LG. Just because he wussed out with a broken vs. Dallas. The image of PJ pushing his finger in his chest covers all the great things he did on SOME Laker fans eyes. In mine he was one of the better #2's in Laker lore.

Clipper Nation
07-03-2014, 01:16 PM
1. OKC's 1st rounder is basically a high 2nd.
A first-rounder is a first-rounder, tbh....

2. when you are that close to a title you overpay
Just because Fredo overpays doesn't mean everyone does....

3. I like MVPau sure he is overrated on here but underrated on LG. Just because he wussed out with a broken vs. Dallas. The image of PJ pushing his finger in his chest covers all the great things he did on SOME Laker fans eyes. In mine he was one of the better #2's in Laker lore.
If MVPau was a #2, who was #1? Odom? Bynum? Artest? :lol

sook
07-03-2014, 01:38 PM
I disagree, this would not make the thunder better. Its true that Gasol is a pick and pop guy that will give you a broader shooting spectrum...but that's not what the team really needs. Between WB and Durant taking a chunk of the shots, Ibaka is usually the beneficiary off of their deferrals. Having Gasol there would screw with the spacing and cause a clash between two overlapping skillsets.

Splits
07-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Agree with ^

Thunder need shooters. They should have traded one of their 1st rounders, now they're in a pickle.

sook

exactly.

TIMMYtoZO
Gasol on the Thunder could mean game over for the rest of the league.. it would eliminate almost all of their deficiencies in one hit.. Except for Michael J Fox.

Thunder become instant favourites with Pau IMO.

:lol This is exactly what people said when the Cavs landed Jamison. Gasol is 34 years old now. He isn't putting the Cavs West over the top. Getting a 34 year old is not going to keep Durant in OKC. Ask the 2010 Cavs how that worked out with Jamison, tbh.

RsxPiimp
07-03-2014, 01:44 PM
:lol This is exactly what people said when the Cavs landed Jamison. Gasol is 34 years old now. He isn't putting the Cavs West over the top. Getting a 34 year old is not going to keep Durant in OKC. Ask the 2010 Cavs how that worked out with Jamison, tbh.

Yeah, people are expecting a lot from Gasol. He'll give you flashes of brilliance once in a while but his best days are behind him. But in exchange for Kendrick Perkins, sure looks like a home run.

TIMMYtoZO
07-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Yeah, people are expecting a lot from Gasol. He'll give you flashes of brilliance once in a while but his best days are behind him. But in exchange for Kendrick Perkins, sure looks like a home run.

Trading Big Z (and getting him back) for Jamison also looked like a homerun. People here were jizzing over that trade thinking it actually made them legit contenders. Then Boston exposed them as nothing more than pretenders. OKC is going this same exact path, tbh.

sook
07-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Trading Big Z (and getting him back) for Jamison also looked like a homerun. People here were jizzing over that trade thinking it actually made them legit contenders. Then Boston exposed them as nothing more than pretenders. OKC is going this same exact path, tbh.

good analogy.

To some extent also reminds me of Phoenix grabbing an over the hill Shaq because they thought it would solve their defensive woes and allow them to finally beat the spurs.

StrengthAndHonor
07-07-2014, 09:55 PM
http://newsok.com/report-pau-gasol-meets-with-thunder-coach-scott-brooks/article/4986496

Darnell Mayberry @DarnellMayberry Follow (https://twitter.com/DarnellMayberry) Thunder coach Scott Brooks met with Pau Gasol today to sell him on joining OKC, according to @ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine) Brooks hasn't been in Orlando.