View Full Version : Mavs: Diggler's deal is done

benefactor
07-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Kyle Orton
07-03-2014, 03:35 PM
No melo then IMO

baseline bum
07-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Kind of surprised Anthony would tell Dallas to fuck off so quickly. Honestly would have been the best situation for him by far.

Kyle Orton
07-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Hearing it's 10m per year

Kyle Orton
07-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Kind of surprised Anthony would tell Dallas to fuck off so quickly. Honestly would have been the best situation for him by far.
Apparently Cuban and co didn't give him the bullshit tours/dinner/photoshopped banner shit. It was straight numbers and sales pitch about playing with dirk/rc/winning pedigree etc

benefactor
07-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Mel_13
07-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Basically the same deal that Duncan took at the same age.

benefactor
07-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks have agreed to terms on a new three-year contract believed to be in the $30 million range, according to sources close to the situation.

The deal, sources said, contains a player option that would allow Nowitzki to return to free agency in the summer of 2016 and preserves the rare no-trade clause he had in his last contract.

Fresh off completing a four-year, $80 million contract in which he left some $16 million on the table, Nowitzki has agreed to take a far steeper pay cut this time in hopes of leaving enough salary-cap space for the Mavericks to sign top free-agent target Carmelo Anthony or multiple contributors with their considerable salary-cap space this summer.

Sources say that the Mavericks intend to extend a lucrative offer sheet to Houston Rockets free agent Chandler Parsons or try to sign Cleveland Cavaliers free agent Luol Deng if Anthony, as expected, elects to re-sign with the New York Knicks.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11173897/dirk-nowitzki-agrees-new-three-year-deal-dallas-mavericks

benefactor
07-03-2014, 03:52 PM
I think that Parsons offer sheet could come as early as this evening.

CavsSuperFan
07-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Basically the same deal that Duncan took at the same age.

These guys like Duncan, Dirk & Kobe are so classy about taking less money to give wiggle room to sign younger talent...

FvckMavs
07-03-2014, 03:58 PM
These guys like Duncan, Dirk & Kobe are so classy about taking less money to give wiggle room to sign younger talent...

Kobe:rollin

benefactor
07-03-2014, 03:58 PM
:lol Kobe...again

DPG21920
07-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Dirk has treated Dallas very well considering he left money on the table and Cuban money grabbed him. For example, that same thing happened to Lebron essentially and all reports state he now wants a max deal because of it. I know Lebron is worth the max and it's not exactly apples-to-apples, but point remains.

This leaves Dallas with about ~17 in cap space I believe so plenty of room to add Deng/Ariza/Parsons and another good piece. But with Lowry off the market, there really aren't any great PG's available. Maybe they try to swing a deal with BOS for Rondo or something or go after Bledsoe?

Findog
07-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Melo was never signing with Dallas. I think the meeting yesterday was a half-hearted attempt knowing he would never come here.

He's a front-running pussy - he's either going to stay in New York and get paid, or go to Chicago where he doesn't have the pressure of being the #1 guy.

benefactor
07-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Melo was never signing with Dallas. I think the meeting yesterday was a half-hearted attempt knowing he would never come here.

He's a front-running pussy - he's either going to stay in New York and get paid, or go to Chicago where he doesn't have the pressure of being the #1 guy.
Mavs are better with the other pieces they are planning to pursue with cap space anyway.

Ghazi
07-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Mavs have too many holes.. trying to patch them up with a flawed star (Melo) is foolish... he's not even a superstar, just a good player.

I don't really see a realistic way for the Mavs to get out of the 40-50 win zone... their roster still has a problem of too many 1-way players and Dirk is no longer in his prime.

Findog
07-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Mavs are better with the other pieces they are planning to pursue with cap space anyway.

Yup - the Spurs just proved you can win a title if you roll 10 deep with good players, instead of making a top-heavy Super Team with 2-3 stars and a bunch of scrubs.

Kyle Orton
07-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Fuck no to Deng. Durability is shitty and can't shoot
parsons would be a great fit here but I'm not sure of his defensive abilities

benefactor
07-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Yup - the Spurs just proved you can win a title if you roll 10 deep with good players, instead of making a top-heavy Super Team with 2-3 stars and a bunch of scrubs.
League is trending that way tbh. Iso ball and stars carrying teams era is ending.

spurraider21
07-03-2014, 04:23 PM
League is trending that way tbh. Iso ball and stars carrying teams era is ending.
not sure you can say the entire league is trending... how many teams are actually showing they're following the spurs model. everybody is out trying to land stars

baseline bum
07-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Rondo would be a great fit, but I can't see them having the trade assets to pull that deal off. I think they have to go hard at Bledsoe and hope he can stay healthy. They can't be starting Felton or Harris at point. I really like Chalmers and surely he's gone from Miami, so he may be a nice second option at point if they let Carter run the offense.

Infinite_limit
07-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Why better than Bulls?

baseline bum
07-03-2014, 04:28 PM
Why better than Bulls?

Because Rose looks done.

sook
07-03-2014, 05:25 PM
should've made another cartoon tbh.

Findog
07-03-2014, 05:29 PM
not sure you can say the entire league is trending... how many teams are actually showing they're following the spurs model. everybody is out trying to land stars

Sixers are doing a Houston Astros advanced analytical style tear down and rebuild. Teams like the Grizzlies are trying to adopt the Spurs model, or at least the parts that fit to their situation. Despite it's population, San Antonio is considered a small market. Certainly not a glamour market to ABC/ESPN tv executives. The Spurs have a blend of competent front office management plus holistic culture that is not easy to recreate, and big-market teams like the Lakers, Heat, Rockets, Knicks just try to accumulate raw talent.

FkLA
07-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Dirk looked done in the Spurs series. Unless he opted out of a bigger salary (too lazy to look up), not sure why this is considered a big 'sacrifice' on his part.

Gummi Clutch
07-03-2014, 05:40 PM
should've made another cartoon tbh.
:lmao I forgot about this shit. The day Cuban lost all self-respect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDPNBzkI554

Franklin
07-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Dirk :king:

Mugen
07-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Throw a bunch of money at Parsons. Maybe Ariza. Pass on Deng and Bledsoe tbh.

Sportstudi
07-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Dirk looked done in the Spurs series. Unless he opted out of a bigger salary (too lazy to look up), not sure why this is considered a big 'sacrifice' on his part.

Dirk, given his age, played a great regular season. He didn't play that well vs. the Spurs (especially his defense, still average during the season, but dropped heavily against the Spurs), but to say he is done just based on one single series is just idiotic IMO. Sure, we all know he isn't the player he once was, but he's still able to put up 20 points on any given night.

AaronY
07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Dirk, given his age, played a great regular season. He didn't play that well vs. the Spurs (especially his defense, still average during the season, but dropped heavily against the Spurs), but to say he is done just based on one single series is just idiotic IMO. Sure, we all know he isn't the player he once was, but he's still able to put up 20 points on any given night.

Since he averaged 21.7 it kind of goes w/o saying that he's capable of putting up 20 points on any given night tbh

Sportstudi
07-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Since he's averaged 21.7 it kind of goes w/o saying that he's capable of putting up 20 points on any given night tbh

I could add that he was 10th in PER, 11th in Win Shares, ORtg of 120 last season. I can't call that "done".

ElNono
07-03-2014, 07:12 PM
count me in the "say no to deng" bandwagon...

Sportstudi
07-03-2014, 07:18 PM
count me in the "say no to deng" bandwagon...

I rather have Stephenson (I doubt he comes though) or Ariza tbh.

Malik Hairston
07-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Ariza seems like a great fit, tbh, but I don't see any intriguing PGs left on the market..it looks like Ellis could be moving to the 1, as I don't see how you can start Felton, that's a potential disaster IMO..

The rest of the market is pretty weak, tbh..

Seventyniner
07-03-2014, 08:57 PM
All Dirk's contract does is firm up how much cap space Dallas will have. The first year will be far lower than Dirk's cap hold so this will be the first signing Dallas does on the 10th.