PDA

View Full Version : Whats the current cap situation and our chances of resigning Diaw?

Big Empty
07-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Now that we know how much Patty is signed for, how much cap space do we have left? I def would like Diaw back and maybe its a pipe dream, but id like Gasol even if it means trading Splitter. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread i went through 3 pages though.

Richie
07-03-2014, 06:22 PM
We hold Diaws Bird rights, we can go over the cap to re sign him

Mr. Body
07-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Congrats on reading three pages of another thread. That's splendid.

Spurs should resign Diaw with few problems. Gasol is a possibility but he'd have to take the MLE and, if Splitter isn't traded to give him the minutes he may want or deserve, he'd need to be happy with an I determined role and unlikely crunch time playing time.

Baam
07-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Now that we know how much Patty is signed for, how much cap space do we have left? I def would like Diaw back and maybe its a pipe dream, but id like Gasol even if it means trading Splitter. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread i went through 3 pages though.

Agreed, trading Splitter for post Duncanobili assets and signing Gasol would be a fantastic idea.

spurraider21
07-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Agreed, trading Splitter for post Duncanobili assets and signing Gasol would be a fantastic idea.
trading away our 29 year old big and acquiring a 33 year old isn't helping to post Duncanobili era :lol

xmas1997
07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
34 year old as of Sunday.

ceperez
07-03-2014, 07:06 PM
34 year old as of Sunday.

Definitely not getting any younger. How many more years left in his tank?

Post-Duncan/Ginobli era will need a dominant low-post threat. In fact the way the Spurs play Duncan now, is ideal for how Gasol plays. Taking uncontested 15 foot jumpers.

Spurs can structure a deal that is back loaded. MLE this year, 12-14 million per when Duncan/Ginobili retires. Note: Parker is also out of contract after next year.

2015-2016 Spurs Roster:

Parker, Mills, Joseph, Cotton,
Green, Anderson, Belinelli
Leonard, Bertrans, Jean-Charles
Gasol, Diaw
Splitter

Mel_13
07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Definitely not getting any younger. How many more years left in his tank?

Post-Duncan/Ginobli era will need a dominant low-post threat. In fact the way the Spurs play Duncan now, is ideal for how Gasol plays. Taking uncontested 15 foot jumpers.

Spurs can structure a deal that is back loaded. MLE this year, 12-14 million per when Duncan/Ginobili retires. Note: Parker is also out of contract after next year.

No they can't.

Big Empty
07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
shit i thought he was 31. well id still like to have him but i guess ur right, not at the expense of Splitter. Splitter did play well in these playoffs. Damn time flies.

ceperez
07-03-2014, 07:12 PM
No they can't.

No? Oh well.... they have to come up with something creative.

Sign and trade Splitter perhaps?

Mel_13
07-03-2014, 07:13 PM
No? Oh well.... they have to come up with something creative.

Can't do anything creative with the MLE.

Baam
07-03-2014, 07:15 PM
trading away our 29 year old big and acquiring a 33 year old isn't helping to post Duncanobili era :lol

Of course it does as you're getting future assets in the trade.

Besides a 34 years old Bonner took Splitter's spot in the rotation when the Golden god was covering in the foetal position...

Darkwaters
07-03-2014, 07:17 PM
MLE is a set design. If you could do stuff like that we'd see all sorts of teams pursuing big name free agents offering one year of MLE and then huge raises. But we don't. Exceptions have very specific rules.

spurraider21
07-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Of course it does as your getting future assets in the trade.

Besides a 34 years old Bonner took Splitter's spot in the rotation when the Golden god was covering in the foetal position...
what did you think of Splitter's defense in the Dallas and Portland series'?

Mel_13
07-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Not worth discussing Splitter with him. He's got a schtick and he's married to it.

EVAY
07-03-2014, 07:20 PM

tholdren
07-03-2014, 07:23 PM
no, unless there were more to it than Splitter and Gasol

ceperez
07-03-2014, 07:23 PM
A trade for Splitter improves the odds that Ducan wins another title.

If Duncan retires without a dominant center then the chances of the Spurs winning again diminishes tremendously. I doubt Splitter can ever be dominant.

DocDoc
07-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Have you seen Gasol play recently? He is near done. You think Duncan has lost foot speed - Kyle Anderson is faster than Gasol....

barbacoataco
07-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Yeah gasol is not that good now. Not a fan.

BackHome
07-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Congrats on reading three pages of another thread. That's splendid.

Spurs should resign Diaw with few problems. Gasol is a possibility but he'd have to take the MLE and, if Splitter isn't traded to give him the minutes he may want or deserve, he'd need to be happy with an I determined role and unlikely crunch time playing time.

So how will Baynes impact the MLE if signed?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-03-2014, 08:15 PM
So how will Baynes impact the MLE if signed?

None really as he received a qualified offer and I doubt a team pays him more than that.

manufan10
07-03-2014, 08:19 PM
A trade for Splitter improves the odds that Ducan wins another title.

If Duncan retires without a dominant center then the chances of the Spurs winning again diminishes tremendously. I doubt Splitter can ever be dominant.

:lol they just went to back to back Finals without a "dominant" center. Splitter is a good asset because he limits the wear and tear on Duncan's body defensively. He does a lot of dirty work. Splitter is one of the reasons why the Spurs have improved statistically on the defensive end.

Also, :lol at how time has changed. Before people were clamoring for Splitter to start, and now they want to jettison him.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-03-2014, 08:22 PM
:lol they just went to back to back Finals without a "dominant" center. Splitter is a good asset because he limits the wear and tear on Duncan's body defensively. He does a lot of dirty work. Splitter is one of the reasons why the Spurs have improved statistically on the defensive end.

Also, :lol at how time has changed. Before people were clamoring for Splitter to start, and now they want to jettison him.

People think this 2008 Pau, just look at Wade this season, basically what has happen to Gasoline since then.

Haha stupid auto correct put gasoline when I typed Gasol.

xmas1997
07-03-2014, 08:25 PM
People think this 2008 Pau, just look at Wade this season, basically what has happen to Gasoline since then.

I agree with you. I just don't see why so many want him here since he is not what he was.
If I had a choice, which I don't, I would much rather have his brother Marc on the team.

exstatic
07-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Can't do anything creative with the MLE.

Two years, second year is an option. We should have money when Tim and Manu roll off next year. Not huge money, but more than OKC will be willing to spend, as in, no tax for you!

manufan10
07-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Haha stupid auto correct put gasoline when I typed Gasol.

I agree with you. I just don't see why so many want him here since he is not what he was.
If I had a choice, which I don't, I would much rather have his brother Marc on the team.

If he was willing to come to SA and be the 4th big and take a massive pay cut, then I don't see why we wouldn't want him on the team. He can still be an asset, especially with the way Pop uses the team. I would be more hesitant to take Pau if it's at the expense of Splitter or Diaw though.

Aztecfan03
07-03-2014, 08:34 PM

Probably ignores it like a lot of people here did with a lot of Green's playoffs in 2012.

Perry Mason
07-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Couldn't the Spurs sell Pau on the idea that yes, he is bench big in year one (and maybe not even for some matchups), but that in years 2-4(?) of his deal he is the starter and heir to Duncan, with a great roster and Coach around him?

Aztecfan03
07-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Couldn't the Spurs sell Pau on the idea that yes, he is bench big in year one (and maybe not even for some matchups), but that in years 2-4(?) of his deal he is the starter and heir to Duncan, with a great roster and Coach around him?

That's assuming Duncan is done after this year. And Pau's too old to waut to be somebody's heir.

TheGoldStandard
07-03-2014, 08:41 PM
They need to have Bonner meet with him.

07-04-2014, 06:09 AM
I think the chances of re-signing Diaw just got significantly better after Portland signed Chris Kaman.

I'm sure something will get done next week.

Gasol ain't coming to SA and i'm against trading Splitter for now. His defense is still vital against a lot of teams not named the Heat or thunder.

FireMicoHalili
07-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Some writers over at Project Spurs noticed Diaw's been keeping mum. Either front office hasn't reached out or he's holding off contact, no one knows until when though. He seems to be surveying the FA landscape. This is a remote possibility but if Miami decides to sign and play him at center/point forward, that would do wonders for their ball movement. Lots of teams with cap space + stellar playoff performance = reasonable expectation of a payday.

exstatic
07-04-2014, 07:00 AM
I think he's just seeing if there's any money out there, other than the MLE.

The Spurs are never a team that will lock themselves into a closet and bid against themselves. I think they always have a figure that they would like to pay, they discuss it with the player in question, and tell them to go check the market.

One thing that works against Boris is that teams just don't know what to DO with him or how to use him in their schemes. They SEE how much better the ball moved when he was in there, but then they revert to form at look at old school playoff stats: 9.2 points 4.8 boards 3.2 assts. They have owners to answer to, and those numbers don't scream BIG PAYCHECK!

Mel_13
07-04-2014, 07:09 AM
I think he's just seeing if there's any money out there, other than the MLE.

The Spurs are never a team that will lock themselves into a closet and bid against themselves. I think they always have a figure that they would like to pay, they discuss it with the player in question, and tell them to go check the market.

One thing that works against Boris is that teams just don't know what to DO with him or how to use him in their schemes. They SEE how much better the ball moved when he was in there, but then they revert to form at look at old school playoff stats: 9.2 points 4.8 boards 3.2 assts. They have owners to answer to, and those numbers don't scream BIG PAYCHECK!

There are also teams that look at what happened in Charlotte and won't trust Boris with a long term, big money deal. It limits his possibilities.

Old School 44
07-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Diaw works in San Antonio because of the system and the high basketball IQ of the players in this system. I think he enjoys playing on this team too much to leave. He will only go if someone offers something outrageous, but they won't.

ManuTastic
07-04-2014, 08:29 AM
There are also teams that look at what happened in Charlotte and won't trust Boris with a long term, big money deal. It limits his possibilities.

Agreed. Teams would be skittish about his inconsistency. OTOH, someone might try to lure him away just b/c it would mess with SA's chances of repeating.

xmas1997
07-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Agreed. Teams would be skittish about his inconsistency. OTOH, someone might try to lure him away just b/c it would mess with SA's chances of repeating.

Looks like Portland tried, but failed.

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 09:08 AM
100% he comes back to Spurs. Its the right fit and we have the cash.

01Snake
07-04-2014, 09:33 AM
I highly doubt Diaw is going anywhere. I'd say Mills had a better chance of playing somewhere else next year than Boris.

FutureMan
07-04-2014, 09:58 AM
So how much money is left to sign Diaw and what is Baynes' qualifying offer?
And does whatever Baynes get effect Diaw??

TheGoldStandard
07-04-2014, 10:00 AM
So how much money is left to sign Diaw and what is Baynes' qualifying offer?
And does whatever Baynes get effect Diaw??

We can sign Diaw to whatever amount of money because we can go over the cap to sign him, there is a qualifying offer already out for Baynes, nobody has expressed interest in Baynes so he'll probably be back.

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 11:03 AM
I believe we are about $5-6 million under the cap and about $19-$20 million below the luxury tax limit. Plenty of room to resign Boris, may as well do a Splitter type deal with declining dollar values. Hard to peg Boris salary but he definitely proved himself this year. He got in shape and played heavy minutes in the playoffs, even earning a starting role that coincided with the most dominant stretch of basketball in NBA history. His first year I could see anywhere from $6 to $9 million on the high end. If we paid him on the high end, it would be more likely a 3 year $26 million like Splitter has left. I doubt we use the full MLE if we have to pay high end for Boris. Given the uniqueness of his fit here though, seems something in the middle would be about right, $7 to $ 8 million year one than possibly a declining dollar deal from there. Spurs should continue to plan for the day they actually have cap space, though I don't see us ever tendering a max offer for a free agent.

I should add as has been stated we can go over the cap to sign Boris so we have PLENTY of dough and it is virtually a lock he will be back. I don't see the Spurs going over $70 million payroll in any case, which is why the MLE usage is a maybe. Spurs also like to use partial MLE per recent history.

xmas1997
07-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Portland is using their MLE to sign Kaman, so I think they are out of the running for Diaw.

Jimcs50
07-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Rather keep Splitter and sign Pau instead of Boris.

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Sham Sports shows us at $53.8 million, but I think that is without Baynes which brings us to $55 million. That is also without Mills so you can see we are then up to about $59 million with a cap of about $63. Boris will clearly command more than Mills, and you can see why the math starts to put us at $65 million+ after signing Boris. Spurs won't likely run the payroll up near $70 million in my opinion unless they can get a big fish like Gasol in free agency. Otherwise I think our dollar and roster size limitations will control.

I've seen some indicating they would like to trade Daye, Ayres, and possibly Belli. Belli averaged 11 PPG in the regular reason and hit some big shots in the playoffs. I don't see teams lining up for the other two, but I guess stranger things have happened. Certainly if we added a high quality big I'd think offloading Ayres would be a top priority.

Let's keep in mind though that those players were in year one of learning our system, and year 2 may be better.

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Rather keep Splitter and sign Pau instead of Boris.

We don't need Gasol when we already have Splitter and Duncan though. We do need Boris he is our small ball x factor. Actually he's so unique with his combination of size, passing, and ability to attack off the dribble I'd take him straight up over Gasol at this point in time.

Also the opinion has been expressed that we need to choose Gasol or Diaw. That's not really true. We have only the MLE available for Pau, or LESS than that if we didn't sign Diaw. I'm only seeing us with about $4 million in cap room, which is irrelevant to signing Diaw. If we don't use up our cap room we don't get the MLE, which starts at $5.3 million.

The more I think about it the more I like Gasol on our team though. It would be fun to punish teams with a big lineup of Duncan/Gasol/Diaw/Leonard/Manu.

xmas1997
07-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Sham Sports shows us at $53.8 million, but I think that is without Baynes which brings us to $55 million. That is also without Mills so you can see we are then up to about $59 million with a cap of about $63. Boris will clearly command more than Mills, and you can see why the math starts to put us at $65 million+ after signing Boris. Spurs won't likely run the payroll up near $70 million in my opinion unless they can get a big fish like Gasol in free agency. Otherwise I think our dollar and roster size limitations will control.

I've seen some indicating they would like to trade Daye, Ayres, and possibly Belli. Belli averaged 11 PPG in the regular reason and hit some big shots in the playoffs. I don't see teams lining up for the other two, but I guess stranger things have happened. Certainly if we added a high quality big I'd think offloading Ayres would be a top priority.

Let's keep in mind though that those players were in year one of learning our system, and year 2 may be better.

I think most of us expect year two to be better. RJ may have been the exception to that.

callo1
07-04-2014, 12:05 PM
People fail to realize that Splitter is a significantly better defender than Pao is, heck, even better than Timmy for that matter. Tiago shows on the pick n' roll and gets back, and his one-on-one post defense is superb...far better than Pao's at this stage of his career.

Pop didn't go away from Tiago because he was playing poorly, he did it because Ibaka had no back to the basket game, and Bosh is a soft player who would rather shoot outside than grind on the low block.

How many games did Pao miss due to knee problems last year? You want to rely that heavily on him?

I would like to have Pao on the team, but he isn't going to sign a one year deal at this stage of his career, so mle is the only chance, and it is doubtful he would go for that, unless he simply wants another ring, or a chance to piss the Lakers off for all treating him like garbage.

G-Dawgg
07-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Bring back Fatso

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Fatso is a lock! The only question at this point is whether we add any free agents worth 5 million per year.Do we have the smaller exception in play also?

Vic Petro
07-04-2014, 02:37 PM
I think he wants to see his market and is hoping Melo goes back to NYK and Lebron stays in Miami or goes to Cleveland. This would leave Dallas and Houston with money to throw around. If Bosh turns Houston down as well, they could really ramp up interest in Boris. Just weakening the Spurs is good business, let alone how much he'd help them.

ironman2886
07-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Boris' decision sponsored by
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/ironman2886/image_zps428e84b8.jpg

cd98
07-04-2014, 03:07 PM
People fail to realize that Splitter is a significantly better defender than Pao is, heck, even better than Timmy for that matter. Tiago shows on the pick n' roll and gets back, and his one-on-one post defense is superb...far better than Pao's at this stage of his career.

Pop didn't go away from Tiago because he was playing poorly, he did it because Ibaka had no back to the basket game, and Bosh is a soft player who would rather shoot outside than grind on the low block.

How many games did Pao miss due to knee problems last year? You want to rely that heavily on him?

I would like to have Pao on the team, but he isn't going to sign a one year deal at this stage of his career, so mle is the only chance, and it is doubtful he would go for that, unless he simply wants another ring, or a chance to piss the Lakers off for all treating him like garbage.

Actually he didn't do it for defense, he did it for offense. An outside shooter and playmaker at 4 meant Ibaka could cheat off his man and defend the weak side.

xmas1997
07-04-2014, 05:28 PM
According to KSAT-TV Diaw is looking for a 2 year 18 to 20 mil. deal.

exstatic
07-04-2014, 05:39 PM
According to KSAT-TV Diaw is looking for a 3 year 18 to 20 mil. deal.

Seems quite fair. That's just a little over the MLE.

baseline bum
07-04-2014, 05:46 PM

If that's all he's looking for the Spurs should try to get that contract signed ASAP.

baseline bum
07-04-2014, 05:52 PM
I do hope the Spurs frontload the deal though, as they're in no danger of hitting the luxury tax level this year and it would be win-win to move more of that money to the first year on both Diaw's and Mills' deals.

slick'81
07-04-2014, 06:10 PM
3 years 18 would be a steal

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 06:12 PM
If that's all he's looking for the Spurs should try to get that contract signed ASAP.More than fair lets get er done!

xmas1997
07-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Sorry, that was 18 to 20 mil. for 2 years, not 3.

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Dammit quit effin with our minds!

baseline bum
07-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Shit, that's a lot for two years. May well end up being his market value though.

buttsR4rebounding
07-04-2014, 09:22 PM

The only way Splitter goes is if there is some huge benefit to the Spurs. Anyone who thinks we would have won a championship without Splitter this year just doesn't understand everything he brings to the table. His contract looks pretty damn reasonable with what we have seen so far AND it was front end loaded so each year it is a little less and the salary cap is more. Splitter is here to stay.

buttsR4rebounding
07-04-2014, 09:27 PM

KSAT reported that it was reported by someone else who had no ties with the Spurs. He may be looking for that, but I don't think there has been any substanitive report to indicate so. And do the Spurs have his FULL Bird rights? Does signing him at the end of 2011-12 season count as a full season? If not, he has not been here the three years it takes for full bird rights. Can someone who actually knows clarify that?

buttsR4rebounding
07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
I just realized that I hit 1,000 posts. I think I will go celebrate.

baseline bum
07-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I think you gotta pay that if that's what it takes to get Boris. Especially on such a short deal.

baseline bum
07-04-2014, 09:38 PM
KSAT reported that it was reported by someone else who had no ties with the Spurs. He may be looking for that, but I don't think there has been any substanitive report to indicate so. And do the Spurs have his FULL Bird rights? Does signing him at the end of 2011-12 season count as a full season? If not, he has not been here the three years it takes for full bird rights. Can someone who actually knows clarify that?

Spurs should have Full Bird Rights on Boris. Check the second bullet point.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q33

Knoxxx
07-04-2014, 09:42 PM

I just hit 2000 meet you at the Tiki Bar for the celebration! :whine:downspin:

Big Empty
07-05-2014, 03:14 AM
Lol im getting close.

DJR210
07-05-2014, 03:56 AM
Of course it does as you're getting future assets in the trade.

:lol..all matchups right there

cd021
07-05-2014, 07:38 AM

:lmao.

I mistyped Stoudimire before and it auto corrected it to "semi retired"

Texas_Ranger
07-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Sorry to say this but Diaw ain't worth 10M. The max I see him get is 8M and i do hope the Spurs are the one that get him.

Mel_13
07-05-2014, 08:41 AM
People still bitching that the Spurs paid Splitter his precise market value while suggesting that the Spurs should pay Boris in excess of his market value.

Holding both thoughts in one head must be painful.

Mugen
07-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I guess Boris is delaying a contract until the cap space teams miss out on Melo/Bron/Bosh? Smart as he'll have more leverage.

I could see the Spurs doing a 3yr/24mil for him by the end of next week tbh.

elemento
07-05-2014, 08:51 AM

:lol

Chinook
07-05-2014, 09:05 AM
I guess Boris is delaying a contract until the cap space teams miss out on Melo/Bron/Bosh? Smart as he'll have more leverage.

I could see the Spurs doing a 3yr/24mil for him by the end of next week tbh.

Nah. I think that Boris just doesn't see it as a big rush. Remember how long it took for him to pick up his option last season? He just saw the Spurs take care of Mills, so he knows they'll give him a fair deal.

Chinook
07-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Legendary.

xmas1997
07-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Legendary.

I agree, no rush. Besides they can use him to mentor Anderson too. No rush.

tmtcsc
07-05-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "mentoring" is a term that is way overused when it comes to NBA athletes. Some veterans are locker room leaders and may pass along advice but the teams have coaches. I used to crack up when I would see people say that "insert-name" here would be someone that could be mentored by Bruce Bowen. Bruce Bowen was a player, not a coach. He had a job to do and he did it. Advice or giving pointers is one thing but being a "mentor" is something totally different. That is a very active role that goes beyond occasional pointers and advice.

FireMicoHalili
07-05-2014, 10:11 AM
According to Mid-Level Exceptional, the Spurs started just a hair below $8M, sans the new contracts for Mills, Cotton, and Daye. Assuming all those are accounted for, the Spurs have around...$2M-$3M in cap space? Cap space hypothetically shouldn't matter because of Diaw's bird rights, which inevitably will allow the Spurs to use the MLE, though roster spots are mostly filled.

Quite wary for Baynes, because Ginobili tweeted bringing back Diaw and Bonner is a priority. QO for Baynes still stands, however.

Mid-Level Exceptional: http://midlevelexceptional.com/2014/07/01/western-conference-free-agency-cap-space-primer/

jhfenton
07-05-2014, 10:51 AM
According to Mid-Level Exceptional, the Spurs started just a hair below $8M, sans the new contracts for Mills, Cotton, and Daye. Assuming all those are accounted for, the Spurs have around...$2M-$3M in cap space? Cap space hypothetically shouldn't matter because of Diaw's bird rights, which inevitably will allow the Spurs to use the MLE, though roster spots are mostly filled.

Quite wary for Baynes, because Ginobili tweeted bringing back Diaw and Bonner is a priority. QO for Baynes still stands, however.

Mid-Level Exceptional: http://midlevelexceptional.com/2014/07/01/western-conference-free-agency-cap-space-primer/

Cap space is irrelevant, because the Spurs haven't been under the cap at all this off-season. That article was discussing the maximum possible cap space if the Spurs renounced all their free agents and their other cap holds. But it wouldn't have been enough cap space to be meaningful, so they didn't. They can resign their guys, use the MLE, use the bi-annual exception, sign their rookie Anderson, and sign minimum players (subject to available roster spots).

FireMicoHalili
07-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Cap space is irrelevant, because the Spurs haven't been under the cap at all this off-season. That article was discussing the maximum possible cap space if the Spurs renounced all their free agents and their other cap holds. But it wouldn't have been enough cap space to be meaningful, so they didn't. They can resign their guys, use the MLE, use the bi-annual exception, sign their rookie Anderson, and sign minimum players (subject to available roster spots).
Yes thank you, aforementioned cap space is irrelevant because of cap holds. Still wouldn't change if Diaw bolted for another squad, and attaining $8M would've required renouncing cap holds for all their free agents. It isn't an issue of money but rather who gets to fill the remaining roster spots we have left. People were saying Diaw was a lock to return but it's highly understandable if he wants to survey the market.

baseline bum
07-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Sorry to say this but Diaw ain't worth 10M. The max I see him get is 8M and i do hope the Spurs are the one that get him.

People still bitching that the Spurs paid Splitter his precise market value while suggesting that the Spurs should pay Boris in excess of his market value.

Holding both thoughts in one head must be painful.

If they only want him to sign 2 years instead of 3 or 4 they'll probably have to overpay for them.

spurnash
07-05-2014, 11:40 AM
I can't seem to locate where the new CBA addresses this...but can we give Diaw a heavily front end weighted contract to allow us to take advantage of the extra space under the tax this year and cancel out the big increase Kawhi will get next year...ie.. 12M, 4M, 4M

Thanks in advance

spurs10
07-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Bringing Boris back is obviously priority. Did we hold on to Daye?

baseline bum
07-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Bringing Boris back is obviously priority. Did we hold on to Daye?

Yeah, they guaranteed Daye's deal.

spurs10
07-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Yeah, they guaranteed Daye's deal. Thanks!

Johnny RIngo
07-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Might as well give Boris whatever he wants. Not like SA is going to use their cap space on any meaningful FA.

jhfenton
07-05-2014, 01:41 PM
I can't seem to locate where the new CBA addresses this...but can we give Diaw a heavily front end weighted contract to allow us to take advantage of the extra space under the tax this year and cancel out the big increase Kawhi will get next year...ie.. 12M, 4M, 4M

Thanks in advance

Decreases are limited to 7.5% of the first year salary. Take a look at Splitter's contract for an example: $10.0MM, $9.25MM, $8.5MM, $8.25MM. In your example, the excess decrease over 7.5% would be treated as a signing bonus and spread over the life of the deal.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Can't believe people are saying Diaw isn't worth a pretty penny. We hadn't made the Finals in several years, and he was arguably the difference maker against OKC and Miami. You can't lose h and a chance to repeat on account of a couple million.

spurnash
07-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Decreases are limited to 7.5% of the first year salary. Take a look at Splitter's contract for an example: $10.0MM, $9.25MM, $8.5MM, $8.25MM. In your example, the excess decrease over 7.5% would be treated as a signing bonus and spread over the life of the deal.

Thanks

dmon35
07-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Boris aint going anywhere. Boris is Boris because of the system he is playing in.

Kidd K
07-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Have you seen Gasol play recently? He is near done. You think Duncan has lost foot speed - Kyle Anderson is faster than Gasol....

Wait, what?

2014 stats:

17.4 PPG
9.7 RPG
3.4 APG

0.5 SPG
1.5 BPG

48% FG%
73.6% FT%

31.4 MPG
19.3 PER

Those are "near done" stats? And that's a winner playing depressed on a dead team with a bad coach and bad players around him like Diaw was before we got him.

The biggest knock on Gasol was, "he won't be able to give you more than like 30 good minutes a game". And Spurs fans all know 30 good minutes is actually a LOT.

If we can keep Diaw and get Gasol (even at the cost of Spitter) we're going to be in GREAT shape.

jARS mEsH sEt
07-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Can't believe people are saying Diaw isn't worth a pretty penny. We hadn't made the Finals in several years, and he was arguably the difference maker against OKC and Miami. You can't lose h and a chance to repeat on account of a couple million.

It's hilarious when people (mostly big-headed BNSFs these days - not you, I'm thinking of other people in this thread who I won't name) imply that they know what Diaw's market value is before the Spurs or any team has even tendered an offer. The Spurs, by definition, will pay either market value or less for Diaw. That's how it works. There isn't a player in the league who's paid "above" market value. One is tempted to look at Kobe Bryant given that he doesn't have the skills of a $30M/year player, but the Lakers made $100M in profit this year and a large part of that is presumably due to Kobe's off-the-court cache.

Knoxxx
07-05-2014, 05:12 PM
This is Boris' last big payday need to get it right patience fellow Spurs fans.

look_at_g_shred
07-05-2014, 05:53 PM
3yr 16mil

FuzzyLumpkins
07-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Ignore the binary thinking morons. Truth is going to be somewhere in the middle.

He has less leverage than his performance would normally dictate because of his age and because of what went on in Charlotte.

I have heard $6m AAV tossed about and 3/18 would be good for both parties.

tholdren
07-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Wait, what?

2014 stats:

17.4 PPG
9.7 RPG
3.4 APG

0.5 SPG
1.5 BPG

48% FG%
73.6% FT%

31.4 MPG
19.3 PER

Those are "near done" stats? And that's a winner playing depressed on a dead team with a bad coach and bad players around him like Diaw was before we got him.

The biggest knock on Gasol was, "he won't be able to give you more than like 30 good minutes a game". And Spurs fans all know 30 good minutes is actually a LOT.

If we can keep Diaw and get Gasol (even at the cost of Spitter) we're going to be in GREAT shape.

I dont trust those stats. Kent Bazemore scored 13ppg for that team. That dude cant even shoot 60% from the FT line and HES A 2

Im cool with Gasol fro MLE, as long as we keep Boris and Tiago (Im the biggest Tiago hater on here, and wouldnt trade him for Gasol)

tholdren
07-05-2014, 06:28 PM
It's hilarious when people (mostly big-headed BNSFs these days - not you, I'm thinking of other people in this thread who I won't name) imply that they know what Diaw's market value is before the Spurs or any team has even tendered an offer. The Spurs, by definition, will pay either market value or less for Diaw. That's how it works. There isn't a player in the league who's paid "above" market value. One is tempted to look at Kobe Bryant given that he doesn't have the skills of a $30M/year player, but the Lakers made $100M in profit this year and a large part of that is presumably due to Kobe's off-the-court cache.

MARKET VALUE is the price at which an asset would trade in a competitive auction setting. Market value is often used interchangeably with open market value, fair value (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_value) or fair market value, although these terms have distinct definitions in different standards, and may differ in some circumstances.

By definition...

Kidd K
07-06-2014, 02:44 AM
I dont trust those stats. Kent Bazemore scored 13ppg for that team. That dude cant even shoot 60% from the FT line and HES A 2

Im cool with Gasol fro MLE, as long as we keep Boris and Tiago (Im the biggest Tiago hater on here, and wouldnt trade him for Gasol)

The only year his stats dropped much at all was last year when hurt for most of the year.

Pau Gasol has been a consistent player for years. Don't buy into the Kobe excuse-maker hype that blames Gasol for all of Kobe's failings. Gasol is an excellent player.

therealtruth
07-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Diaw had 26 in the closeout game at OKC. We don't win that without him.

Taking it to the Hole
07-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Exactly. We don't win this championship without Diaw's improved play. He was the game changer. Kawhi and Patty were huge, don't get me wrong but consistently Diaw played the best out of all those three. I think whatever he is asking for is warranted because he is a big part of our offense and when he is not in there, the offense tends to stagnate. Diaw rose to the occasion. He played amazing in Miami but I think his best play was in the OKC series. That series was tough and having him and Duncan on the court at the same time in crunch time, I don't worry as much because they are not going to make mental mistakes.

Dre_7
07-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Pay the man. He was huge for the Spurs.

EVAY
07-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Exactly. We don't win this championship without Diaw's improved play. He was the game changer. Kawhi and Patty were huge, don't get me wrong but consistently Diaw played the best out of all those three. I think whatever he is asking for is warranted because he is a big part of our offense and when he is not in there, the offense tends to stagnate. Diaw rose to the occasion. He played amazing in Miami but I think his best play was in the OKC series. That series was tough and having him and Duncan on the court at the same time in crunch time, I don't worry as much because they are not going to make mental mistakes.

when you're right, you're right.:toast

I truly believe he was the MVP of the playoffs.

-21-
07-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing he'll get 3yr/$21M.

ducks
07-06-2014, 02:25 PM
2for24