PDA

View Full Version : Cant wait to see K Anderson after working with Chip...

skulls138
07-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Just saw a video of Kawhi in college and how they said he cocked his arm way back when he shoots just like Anderson does, something Kawhi got rid of.

xmas1997
07-05-2014, 01:55 PM
I really think Anderson is going to be special.
Yes, his shooting can be fixed.
And I think his supposedly slow athleticism is deceiving and over exaggerated.
We will soon see.

jhfenton
07-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Just saw a video of Kawhi in college and how they said he cocked his arm way back when he shoots just like Anderson does, something Kawhi got rid of.

I noticed the same thing in the DraftExpress video on Kyle and the DraftExpress before-and-after video for Kawhi. They both shot from over the top of their head in college. Kawhi has really sped his shot up, in addition to becoming more accurate. Kyle shot accurately, but had a slow release that he could get away with because of his length.

Cry Havoc
07-05-2014, 02:07 PM

Anderson is already a good shooter, he just has a slow release. Bit of a different scenario and probably even easier to fix. Anderson also appears to have the right attitude.

xmas1997
07-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Much harder to fix his supposed "slowness", if indeed that is the case and not over exaggerated.
However his basketball IQ, court awareness, can help with that.

exstatic
07-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Anderson is already a good shooter, he just has a slow release. Bit of a different scenario and probably even easier to fix. Anderson also appears to have the right attitude.

He shot the 3 well for one season in college, 1.6 shots per game, about 54 attempts in all. His freshman year, he shot 21%. It's not like he's always been some knockdown shooter.

jhfenton
07-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Much harder to fix his supposed "slowness", if indeed that is the case and not over exaggerated.
However his basketball IQ, court awareness, can help with that.

Removing the cock-back over his head should speed up his shot.

Richie
07-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Anderson also dips the ball really low when he catches it

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2014, 02:41 PM
So Chip is staying?

xmas1997
07-05-2014, 02:43 PM
So Chip is staying?

Why not?

exstatic
07-05-2014, 02:46 PM
So Chip is staying?

Since no one has offered him
A) a HC position
b) a lead assistant job

he's staying. He has a valid contract, and I'm not sure why teams thought they could just poach him without offering him a promotion.

xmas1997
07-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Kerr asked Pop's advice before taking the head coaching job and then turned around and offered Chip a place on his new bench, which naturally he turned down.
What happened to Messina?

Cry Havoc
07-05-2014, 03:18 PM
He shot the 3 well for one season in college, 1.6 shots per game, about 54 attempts in all. His freshman year, he shot 21%. It's not like he's always been some knockdown shooter.

It's much more reasonable to think that he's improving his shot, given his character and the fact that many players do have better mechanics as they get old. It could be an outlier, but it's much more likely to think that his freshmen year is an outlier as well. He's clearly evolving as a player, so the recency bias is somewhat justified.

exstatic
07-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Kerr asked Pop's advice before taking the head coaching job and then turned around and offered Chip a place on his new bench, which naturally he turned down.
What happened to Messina?

I don't think there was even an offer. I think Kerr was kind of wishing out loud. The only way you can get a coach under contract is with a promotion offer.

cd98
07-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Not sure what SA has done to Chip but he is all in with Spurs.

xmas1997
07-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Not sure what SA has done to Chip but he is all in with Spurs.

$$$

BackHome
07-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I more worried about him being able to defend can he close out on his man can he cut over the screens?

Lincolnkreifels
07-05-2014, 07:37 PM
I noticed the same thing in the DraftExpress video on Kyle and the DraftExpress before-and-after video for Kawhi. They both shot from over the top of their head in college. Kawhi has really sped his shot up, in addition to becoming more accurate. Kyle shot accurately, but had a slow release that he could get away with because of his length.

I second this! He may not be extremely quick or an elite athlete in the nba but hes agile for his size and knows how to play the game better than maybe anyone in the drafted. His speed or lack there of has been over emphasized and i think that was partly bc he played at a slow and very under control tempo in college. He could get away with that then and it worked very well obviously but that he also sped up his game when he needed to and i imagine he will do the same in the nba bc he will have to.

Mr. Body
07-05-2014, 08:46 PM

He has show signs. Definitely needs to get his shot off faster. He should be able to from range. Then he has that Paul Pierce fadeaway which is decent from midrange.

ceperez
07-05-2014, 09:36 PM
I second this! He may not be extremely quick or an elite athlete in the nba but hes agile for his size and knows how to play the game better than maybe anyone in the drafted. His speed or lack there of has been over emphasized and i think that was partly bc he played at a slow and very under control tempo in college. He could get away with that then and it worked very well obviously but that he also sped up his game when he needed to and i imagine he will do the same in the nba bc he will have to.

I am concerned with his lack of lateral speed.

skulls138
07-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Removing the cock-back over his head should speed up his shot.Exactly. The video on Kawhi said that his cock back IS what made his shot slow as well as innacurate. They said that the cock back made the ball be in his hands longer as well as not releasing at the height of his jump, which would also give him a better arch.

FireMicoHalili
07-06-2014, 12:27 AM
13.4% body fat. Figures to go lower with conditioning and the pace of the game, unless they want him to go full Diaw.

Aztecfan03
07-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Either way, he has the same mechanical flaw kawhi had so Chip should be able to get it fixed and Kawhi might be able to help too since he has learned how to correct it.

Taking it to the Hole
07-06-2014, 12:05 PM

The Spurs have a lot of players that are deemed "unathletic" or "slow" by NBA standards. Tim Duncan is the best testament to say that you do not need to be ridiculously athletic or fast and you can still be effective in the NBA so long as you are fundamentally sound. There is no substitute for basketball IQ and Anderson has that in spades. He is only going to improve in all areas as a result of being in the Spurs system.

xmas1997
07-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Don't know if posted but here is a little tidbit.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2067925-kyle-anderson-drafted-by-san-antonio-spurs-latest-news-reaction-and-analysis

The 20-year-old floor general enjoyed a dominant individual season in 2013-14, averaging 14.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 1.8 steals and 0.8 blocks per game. He shot 48 percent from the field, 48.3 percent from beyond the arc and finished with a sparkling true-shooting percentage of 55.2, per sports-reference.com.

According to bbstate.com (subscription needed), the All-Pac-12 First-Teamer finished in the top 15 in the conference in points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, assist-to-turnover ratio, rebounding percentage, assist percentage and steal percentage—a remarkable testament to his rare all-around talent.

You just don't often find players with Anderson's makeup—a 6'8.5" ball-handler with length (7'2.75" wingspan, per draftexpress.com), elite passing ability and production to back it up.
Although he mostly ran the show at UCLA, he could conceivably play four different positions. Is he a point guard? Is he a stretch 4? Is he better suited on the wing?

As The Sacramento Bee's Jason Jones noted, he's willing to adapt:

A lack of foot speed and athleticism for the man aptly nicknamed "Slo-Mo" after his deliberate pace soured many scouts and pundits leading up to the draft, but Anderson doesn't see that as a problem at the next level.

"People who really know basketball know that being athletic is not everything you need," he told the Chicago Tribune's Rich Mayor. "(They) see I can play, and that's really what matters at the next level."

Added Anderson, who pairs a crafty "old-man's game" with arguably the best vision and passing skills in this draft to great success, to Chris Foster of the Los Angeles Times: "My slow, methodical game wasn't going to work at the college level. (Yet) I pretty much do whatever I want on the court this season."

While Anderson's speed, especially on the defensive end, may be a concern, it likely comes down to how Popovich uses him. He has drawn a lot of comparisons to Boris Diaw, and everyone saw just how valuable the Frenchman was in the San Antonio Spurs' everyone-can-pass system.

There's a pretty high floor here. The worst-case scenario is Anderson becomes a role player—a key cog on a good team who can see over the defense, distribute and initiate offense from anywhere on the court and knock down open threes.

The best-case scenario, though, is Anderson's unique combination of frame and skill set causing major problems for defenders, earning Slo-Mo the distinction as a dangerous playmaker who fills up the box score.

The defending champs continue plugging away with high-IQ athletes who they groom into superstars. Anderson could very well be the latest in a long line of players to reach their potential in the Spurs' system.

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker won't be around forever, but Anderson, Leonard and the future of the Spurs looks far from bleak.

Ginobili3
07-06-2014, 01:19 PM
What position would he play? He's too slow to play PG, I'm thinking the 2 or 3? He's only 20, so his muscles and body in general will get stronger and faster in the future, but what do you guys think? With Chip's help, he'll be nailing the 3

skulls138
07-06-2014, 03:54 PM
What position would he play? He's too slow to play PG, I'm thinking the 2 or 3? He's only 20, so his muscles and body in general will get stronger and faster in the future, but what do you guys think? With Chip's help, he'll be nailing the 3Small foward.

exstatic
07-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Small foward.

I don't think he can defend there.

AFBlue
07-06-2014, 05:20 PM
13.4% body fat. Figures to go lower with conditioning and the pace of the game, unless they want him to go full Diaw.

You never go full Diaw, everybody know that.

xmas1997
07-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Kyle Anderson flew into San Antonio today, tweeted that he was excited to be here.

Ice009
07-06-2014, 11:11 PM
The Spurs have a lot of players that are deemed "unathletic" or "slow" by NBA standards. Tim Duncan is the best testament to say that you do not need to be ridiculously athletic or fast and you can still be effective in the NBA so long as you are fundamentally sound. There is no substitute for basketball IQ and Anderson has that in spades. He is only going to improve in all areas as a result of being in the Spurs system.

You guys keep forgetting the big difference is that Tim was a very good athlete when he came out of college. Anderson isn't anywhere near close to the athlete that Tim was at the same age.

exstatic
07-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Kyle Anderson flew into San Antonio today, tweeted that he was excited to be here.

I think the signing period starts sometime this week. He's probably here for orientation and his presser.

skulls138
07-07-2014, 12:17 AM
I don't think he can defend there.Yeah but SF is the position according to his height. Defending PF's wont be easy either

exstatic
07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Yeah but SF is the position according to his height. Defending PF's wont be easy either

I think it would be an easier task to bulk up to defend the 4 spot than to discover some wellspring of untapped athleticism to defend wing players, don't you?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Since no one has offered him
A) a HC position
b) a lead assistant job

he's staying. He has a valid contract, and I'm not sure why teams thought they could just poach him without offering him a promotion.

Chip gets paid more than most lead assistants do right now. Why would he want to take a gig with more responsibility and equal pay. Plus, his chemistry w Pop and co. Isn't likely to carry over w another team. After the coaching fiasco last season in GS, I hardly doubt he wants to go there w the current owners.

Ice009
07-07-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm going to say something about the thread title - Anderson working with Chip doesn't mean shit in regards to him even getting on the court. There's other stuff he needs to work on before his shot.

He won't get on the court if he doesn't lose some of that body fat and bulk up a little bit, and just as important, he also needs to learn to play decent defense. Chip could help him with his shot, and he could become a much better shooter, but that still won't guarantee him any court time. So basically, Anderson working with chip and becoming a better shooter, still might not get him on the court at all if he's too slow/useless on defense.

I won't be excited at all until I hear that he's improved enough to be at least passable on defense at the NBA level.