PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Williams

Rummpd
07-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Spurs leading team after him per D. Aldridge (see latest NBA rumors) @ si.com and examiner.com

SpursFanInAustin
07-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Oh boy, sounds like negotiations with Boris aren't going so well...

exstatic
07-05-2014, 03:07 PM
He sucks, and I don't think this has anything to do with Boris.

cd98
07-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Boris will be a Spur but we need a back up small forward who can hit threes. Marvin Williams can do that. He's an underratedly good player.

palangi
07-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Boris will be a Spur but we need a back up small forward who can hit threes. Marvin Williams can do that. He's an underratedly good player.
Ummmmm..... Kyle Anderson and Austin Daye?

Bartleby
07-05-2014, 03:40 PM
we need a back up small forward who can hit threes. Marvin Williams can do that.

Not really. He's a .335% career 3pt. shooter.

palangi
07-05-2014, 03:44 PM
And he is a bad defender. Williams can not play SF in this league any more.

exstatic
07-05-2014, 03:46 PM

This is what makes me think this is an "agent leak". He makes NO SENSE here.

cd98
07-05-2014, 03:46 PM

33% isn't bad for back up SF. Obviously exec of year thinks he can play.

cd98
07-05-2014, 03:47 PM
33% on bad teams. Put him on Spurs with open looks and he's probably closer to 39%.

DesignatedT
07-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Rather have him on the roster than Ayres. Hopefully we can somehow get rid of Jeff.

elemento
07-05-2014, 03:49 PM
He sucks

He is a massive mental midget just like Jefferson. DO NOT WANT

baseline bum
07-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Power forward who shoots 44%? Man, fuck that shit.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Oh boy, sounds like negotiations with Boris aren't going so well...

Why would you say that? Marvin Williams would be a decent, albeit low impact, signing for a cheap backup combo forward. Doesn't really affect the whole Boris Diaw thing much.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Neither has proven that they're NBA players yet.

baseline bum
07-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Neither has proven that they're NBA players yet.

Same with Marvin tbh

xmas1997
07-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Same with Marvin tbh

:lmao

anakha
07-05-2014, 05:00 PM
:bang

The next CBA should have a clause preventing agents from name-dropping the Spurs or any recently-crowned champions.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Same with Marvin tbh

Hardly. I'm not saying Williams has ever lived up to his billing as the number 2 overall pick. But you definitely can't put him in the same conversation as Austin Daye. While Williams has definitely been a bust relative to his draft position, he at least deserves to be on an NBA roster.

Mel_13
07-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Won't be happy to see the Spurs use a significant chunk of the MLE on this guy.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 05:09 PM

Heck no. Minimum wage signing at most.

letmk
07-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Marion is a much much better choice. Why does RC not even give it a try? Even Carter is better. And I don't think either would ask for egregious price.

look_at_g_shred
07-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Much rather have Chris Douglas-Roberts

tholdren
07-05-2014, 06:04 PM
And he is a bad defender. Williams can not play SF in this league any more.
Marvin Williams has never been capable of anything more than a reserve role. Hes a bad shooter and even worse defender. I'd do it for the league min.

Malice
07-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I can't comprehend that he was the number 2 pick in 2005?

ceperez
07-05-2014, 06:45 PM
I can't comprehend that he was the number 2 pick in 2005?

Unbelievable. Same draft that picked Gortat at #57, Monta Ellis at #40 and David Lee at #30.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2014, 07:00 PM
People had all these same comments about guys like Danny Green, Diaw, and Mills too.

Anyway, likely an agent leak though.

Uriel
07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
The hate for Marvin Williams in this thread is incomprehensible. This guy is an über athletic combo forward blessed with incredible talent at the prime of his career. Sure, he put up horrible shooting percentages last season, but that's because he was the 2nd perimeter offensive option on a bad team.

This is EXACTLY what the Spurs need. If R.C. can pull this signing off while still retaining Boris Diaw, Spurs fans should be throwing a second River Parade.

slick'81
07-05-2014, 07:06 PM
How many roster spots do we have left assuming anderson makes the squad

Prime Time
07-05-2014, 07:06 PM
To be fair, Marvin has only played for the shittiest coaches on the shittiest teams.

Aztecfan03
07-05-2014, 07:10 PM
assuming diaw is re-signed also? One.

Our only subtractions are James and Bonner(i'm assuming they dont bring him back)

edit: i was also assuming baynes was brought back.

Mel_13
07-05-2014, 07:11 PM

Anderson's gets two years guaranteed as a first round pick, so he's on the squad.

Right now, 12 players under contract including Mills who won't be able to sign his new contract until July 11th.

3 roster spots left with 3 free agents (Diaw, Baynes, Bonner).

lmbebo
07-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Thought Baynes option was picked up?

Mel_13
07-05-2014, 07:16 PM

They tendered a qualifying offer. He is a restricted free agent.

Aztecfan03
07-05-2014, 07:17 PM

no, they put a qualifying offer on him.

jhfenton
07-05-2014, 07:22 PM

They made the qualifying offer to Baynes. That just makes him a restricted free agent. They still have to reach a deal.

Edited: OK, so I was slow.

lmbebo
07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
I am corrected. Thank you.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm glad I'm getting some support on Marvin Williams now. I think he would be a good signing for us. Of course, the price would need to be right. But hes the right kind of player to fill our needs.

cd98
07-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm glad I'm getting some support on Marvin Williams now. I think he would be a good signing for us. Of course, the price would need to be right. But hes the right kind of player to fill our needs.

I agree. We need a small forward to back up Leonard and we can't rely on Anderson or Daye. If he comes cheap, then he's a great option. He's had an up and down career but most people haven't seen him bc he's only played on bad teams. He's not an all star, but he's a quality back up if needed.

ceperez
07-05-2014, 08:01 PM
The hate for Marvin Williams in this thread is incomprehensible. This guy is an über athletic combo forward blessed with incredible talent at the prime of his career. Sure, he put up horrible shooting percentages last season, but that's because he was the 2nd perimeter offensive option on a bad team.

This is EXACTLY what the Spurs need. If R.C. can pull this signing off while still retaining Boris Diaw, Spurs fans should be throwing a second River Parade.

Well he was drafted at #2, certainly a lot of folks thought he had potential. If the Spurs pick him up, he would be the highest drafted player since Duncan.

The next highest drafted players are Leonard and Daye at #15.

exstatic
07-05-2014, 08:02 PM
I agree. We need a small forward to back up Leonard and we can't rely on Anderson or Daye. If he comes cheap, then he's a great option. He's had an up and down career but most people haven't seen him bc he's only played on bad teams. He's not an all star, but he's a quality back up if needed.

WILLIAMS

IS

NOT

A

SMALL

FORWARD

ceperez
07-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Well how much is Marvin Williams worth? Is he worth the MLE?

Here is the scouting report 9 years ago:

Strengths: Elite level athlete, very quick and agile for a player of his size... Can play any position on the floor effectively.. Never out-worked or out-hustled... Doesn’t take plays off... Gives you everything he has whether it’s a high school playoff game or an AAU event... Excellent form on jumper... NBA range... Very effective when facing the hoop as he has a quick first step and utilizes his jabs and fakes to perfection... Court awareness is that of a vet... Finds teammates from anywhere on the court...An excellent passer from any spot on the floor who possesses great knowledge of the game.... At 6-9 he handles like a guard and has excellent touch out to 17 feet.... Great rebounder because of his size and ability to get off the ground quickly... Big game player... Plays his best in the clutch... A quick leaper who plays well above the rim. Has tremendous potential.
Weaknesses: More of a wing/forward at this point... Doesn’t play well with his back to the basket as he hasn’t developed a go-to post move... Must improve strength as he won’t always be able to rely on his athletic ability at the next level... Is a shot blocker but has trouble defending smaller quicker players...As with all young guys not named LeBron or Carmelo, he struggles with consistency....

Is this the same player?

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Well he was drafted at #2, certainly a lot of folks thought he had potential. If the Spurs pick him up, he would be the highest drafted player since Duncan.

The next highest drafted players are Leonard and Daye at #15.

Thats just sad. Daye was a terrible 1st rounder.

ceperez
07-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Let's be fair, Williams was drafted ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

Daye was drafted a head of .... Jeff Teague #19, Taj Gibson #26, Jeff Ayres #31, Blair #36, Danny Green #46, Patty Mills #55. Not a real stellar draft, but Spurs managed to grab some discards like Ayres, Green and Mills. Of course, I'm surprised that Ayres was even at #31!

Belinelli interesting enough is probably the 4th highest picked Spurs player in the draft at #18.

tholdren
07-05-2014, 08:28 PM
He averaged virtually the same stats as Marvin in college, 11 and 6ish. Both drafted young on potential. Marvin was actually hyped worse, in my opinion, due to his North Carolina ties... And daye, same stuff, Gonzaga was the hot commod. They both were hyped by the media to do big things. Im actually shocked they are both still in the league.

elemento
07-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Do you guys really like this guy ?

33% career 3-pointer. Mentally weak. His game completely disappears/shrinks in the playoffs. He has played in the playoffs 5 years and shot below 40%FG four times. Only able to have a 50%TS once. Never had a PER over 13 in the playoffs. If the Spurs wanna a regular season backup forward, they could sign any min scrub in the league.

It's Richard Jefferson all over again ! Don't wanna see the Spurs wasting the MLE on him.

ceperez
07-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Interesting draft #'s

Duncan - #1
Parker - #28
Ginobili - #57
Splitter - #28
Belineli - #18
Diaw - #21
Green - #46
Leonard - #15
Daye - #15
Baynes - Undrafted
Mills - #55
Bonner - #45
Joseph - #29
Ayres - #31

ceperez
07-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Do you guys really like this guy ?

33% career 3-pointer. Mentally weak. His game completely disappears/shrinks in the playoffs. He has played in the playoffs 5 years and shot below 40%FG four times. Only able to have a 50%TS once. Never had a PER over 13 in the playoffs. If the Spurs wanna a regular season backup forward, they could sign any min scrub in the league.

It's Richard Jefferson all over again ! Don't wanna see the Spurs wasting the MLE on him.

You just never know, the Spurs might just give RJ a second chance!

MeloHype
07-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Williams is ass

Ditty
07-05-2014, 08:34 PM
I would love Marvin!

99 Problems
07-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Marvins not bad as our backup. It's a long reg season.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 08:46 PM
He averaged virtually the same stats as Marvin in college, 11 and 6ish. Both drafted young on potential. Marvin was actually hyped worse, in my opinion, due to his North Carolina ties... And daye, same stuff, Gonzaga was the hot commod. They both were hyped by the media to do big things. Im actually shocked they are both still in the league.

Yes, their stats were very similar. But Marvin Williams was a physical specimen coming out of school with all the physical tools you could ever hope for. Despite it being a fairly top-heavy draft, Williams was intriguing enough that he was taken ahead of much better players (Chris Paul, Deron Williams, etc...).

Austin Daye, on the other hand, had HUGE concerns regarding his ability to put on weight and was an inferior athlete in just about every way. He also conceded a fair amount in terms of BBIQ and didn't project to have nearly the impact on the defensive end (despite his obvious length). He rode a pitiful draft class to a near lottery selection.

raybies
07-05-2014, 08:49 PM
WILLIAMS

IS

NOT

A

SMALL

FORWARD

I agree. He's most likely a Boris or Bonner replacement, if anything. Sure he could play the 3 against certain match-ups or in a pinch, but he's at his best as a stretch 4.

Mr. Body
07-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Marvin Williams wasn't even a starter for his college team. He has to be one of the bigger busts in the last fifteen years.

That said, this is the type of player the Spurs will have to get to backup Kawhi. I'm just not sold on Williams at all.

AFBlue
07-05-2014, 08:52 PM
As a Bonner replacement the Spurs could do a lot worse. He has all the tools to be a solid defender and spot-up shooter. The RJ comp is nonsense because it's not a similar role nor would it be similar dollars. Seems like the Spurs would be able to get more out of him than past teams, but that's probably me being optimistic. Either way, I'd be onboard with the move.

AFBlue
07-05-2014, 08:59 PM
WILLIAMS

IS

NOT

A

SMALL

FORWARD

I don't know. If you asked me who I'd rather see checking Durant when Kawhi goes out and gave me Manu, Beli or Williams, I'm choosing Williams every time. He's athletically gifted enough to play the position, even if he's been playing exclusively in the 4 role for the Jazz. New team, nrw possibilities? Not saying it'd be his primary role, but I do think he could do it.

tholdren
07-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Marvin Williams wasn't even a starter for his college team. He has to be one of the bigger busts in the last fifteen years.

That said, this is the type of player the Spurs will have to get to backup Kawhi. I'm just not sold on Williams at all.

Yep Marvin is GAYE

ceperez
07-05-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't know. If you asked me who I'd rather see checking Durant when Kawhi goes out and gave me Manu, Beli or Williams, I'm choosing Williams every time. He's athletically gifted enough to play the position, even if he's been playing exclusively in the 4 role for the Jazz. New team, nrw possibilities? Not saying it'd be his primary role, but I do think he could do it.

Excellent point. Williams definitely would be better defensively against Durant/Melo/Lebron compared to the undersized Ginobli or Belinelli.

But... is he worth $6 millions (i.e. 4 years 24 million)?

exstatic
07-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Excellent point. Williams definitely would be better defensively against Durant/Melo/Lebron compared to the undersized Ginobli or Belinelli.

But... is he worth $6 millions (i.e. 4 years 24 million)?

Has anyone, excluding you, even MENTIONED the MLE?

He's a draft bust, nine years into his career. You do NOT pay the MLE to such a player.

Spurs9
07-05-2014, 09:12 PM
I'd love to have Marvin tbh

tholdren
07-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Marvin Williams has never been capable of anything more than a reserve role. Hes a bad shooter and even worse defender. I'd do it for the league min.

ceperez
07-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Has anyone, excluding you, even MENTIONED the MLE?

He's a draft bust, nine years into his career. You do NOT pay the MLE to such a player.

I'm not saying Spurs should get him. I prefer some you can get for the minimum. Maybe Vince Carter, Mike Miller or Rashad Lewis. I wouldn't pay up for Marvin Williams even if he was only 27 years old.

ceperez
07-05-2014, 09:16 PM
I agree... he's just an serviceable role player despite being drafted #2.

Speaking about lottery picks... what about Greg Oden?

cd021
07-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Aminu. Thats all I ask. Aminu

cd021
07-05-2014, 09:29 PM
A more interesting question that people seem to forget. If the Spurs sign a 3, then what happens to the bench?

Beli is the 2 guard and Manu is the 3. Unless they play Manu at PG, with Beli, SF, and Diaw and Baynes/ FA.

ceperez
07-05-2014, 09:33 PM
A more interesting question that people seem to forget. If the Spurs sign a 3, then what happens to the bench?

Beli is the 2 guard and Manu is the 3. Unless they play Manu at PG, with Beli, SF, and Diaw and Baynes/ FA.

You also got Austin Daye and Kyle Anderson (Don't know where he'll play). I think an aging veteran is more likely to take the minimum.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 09:52 PM
I think the max I'd consider for him is the BAE. But even that I'm unsure. Minimum is pretty safe.

If you're signing Williams though you're probably parting ways with Daye. Considering the roster crunch it's hard to fathom carrying both. Especially with the injury to Patty and the probable need of another PG fill-in.

spurraider21
07-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Do not want

cd021
07-05-2014, 09:58 PM
You also got Austin Daye and Kyle Anderson (Don't know where he'll play). I think an aging veteran is more likely to take the minimum.

I don't think either are ,top 9, rotation players at this point. Anderson is probably going to be a 3 but it would be interesting to see if he could play the 4 with Diaw at the 5 in certain situations. Cojo-Beli-Manu-Anderson-Diaw. The Spurs have 0 rim protection off the bench, anyways, so might as well go the blow the doors off route on our opponents.

cd021
07-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I'd rather have Bazemore

Ice009
07-05-2014, 10:01 PM

If the Spurs use any of the MLE on this guy, that would be a Jeff Ayres like signing. If they want him, they better not use any of the MLE on him.

Darkwaters
07-05-2014, 10:54 PM
If the Spurs use any of the MLE on this guy, that would be a Jeff Ayres like signing. If they want him, they better not use any of the MLE on him.

Concur. But since Nando de Colo's contract is now up it means we have the BAE again. And of course we always have minimum contracts.

Unfortunately, sacrificing the BAE would prevent us from using it next year on Bertans (or this year I suppose). So minimum is definitely the safest bet.

Tapping into the MLE to any degree would be stupid. He's not that big of a game changer.

exstatic
07-05-2014, 11:01 PM
I'd rather have Aminu.

CGD
07-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Utah really loved him I thought. I hope they keep him, and away from the spurs. He's too emotionally fragile/soft

Ice009
07-05-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm not saying Spurs should get him. I prefer some you can get for the minimum. Maybe Vince Carter, Mike Miller or Rashad Lewis. I wouldn't pay up for Marvin Williams even if he was only 27 years old.

Is Mike Miller a free agent? Did he only sign for one year in Memphis? If so, how much was he paid last season?

I'd rather have Aminu.

I'm very interested in Aminu. How much do you think he'd cost? And how bad is his shooting? You think Chip can work on his shot and get him to be a decent shooter?

exstatic
07-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Is Mike Miller a free agent? Did he only sign for one year in Memphis?

I think Memphis won the amnesty bid for the last year of his Miami contract.

I'm always wary of guys with back problems, though, especially since we could be thin at the skill positions for the first half of the season.

Ice009
07-05-2014, 11:13 PM

I'm always wary of guys with back problems, though, especially since we could be thin at the skill positions for the first half of the season.

Thanks. For some reason I thought that his MLE contract he signed expired and that Miami let him go. I completely forgot he was amnestied. I thought he was physically done, so I didn't pay much attention to Miami letting him go. I figured that if they let him go, then he must have been in bad shape with his back and other injuries. He looked pretty darn good to me in the playoffs though, that's the only time that I really watched him all of last season. Was he good throughout the whole season? Was he sidelined at all?

baseline bum
07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
I'd much rather roll the dice on Mike Miller than Marvin Williams or Al-Farouq Aminu. You can never have too much shooting, and Miller has some PG skills which will be desperately needed with Mills and Ginobili being banged up. If his back goes or age catches up this summer then he's just another Ayres.

baseline bum
07-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks. For some reason I thought that his MLE contract he signed expired and that Miami let him go. I completely forgot he was amnestied. I thought he was physically done, so I didn't pay much attention to Miami letting him go. I figured that if they let him go, then he must have been in bad shape with his back and other injuries. He looked pretty darn good to me in the playoffs though, that's the only time that I really watched him all of last season. Was he good throughout the whole season? Was he sidelined at all?

Miller played all 82 games and shot 46% from the three point line and then 48% in the playoffs. 46% from the three point line over an entire season is so fucking ridiculous.

Ice009
07-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Miller played all 82 games and shot 46% from the three point line and then 48% in the playoffs. 46% from the three point line over an entire season is so fucking ridiculous.

Like I said, I only watched him in the playoffs and he was very good in the games I watched. I didn't watch him in the regular season at all though. He looked pretty good to me (physically) in the playoffs, nothing like the broken down guy that I heard about in his last two seasons in Miami. When watched Memphis, I was thinking, why did Miami let him go. I thought they said he was washed up physically, but he looked great physically. If he actually played all 82 games, that's even better.

baseline bum
07-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Like I said, I only watched him in the playoffs and he was very good in the games I watched. I didn't watch him in the regular season at all though. He looked pretty good to me (physically) in the playoffs, nothing like the broken down guy that I heard about in his last two seasons in Miami. When watched Memphis, I was thinking, why did Miami let him go. I thought they said he was washed up physically, but he looked great physically. If he actually played all 82 games, that's even better.

Strictly Arison with the Jew move, which is why James is making his fat ass sweat now. :lol

benefactor
07-05-2014, 11:48 PM
No.

He sucks.

letmk
07-05-2014, 11:51 PM
I'd rather have Aminu.

This.

Splits
07-05-2014, 11:58 PM

Are you wary of Errors being the worst player in the league?

FireMicoHalili
07-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Is it the player's fault he gets picked at a high draft position? Shouldn't the FO get a major chunk of the blame? Draft is largely hit/miss, Spurs fans are lucky the FO is a step ahead most of the time.

SilverSpur
07-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Sign him and cut or trade Ayers

FireMicoHalili
07-06-2014, 12:24 AM
Let's just trade anyone, not like it's hard to learn the Spurs' system anyway.

Ice009
07-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Those of you that want him, tell us how much you'd be willing to offer for him.

If the Spurs want him, I think they should only offer the veteran's minimum or the LLE at most. They better not be offering any of the MLE exception, otherwise IMO, I think it'd be like signing Jeff Ayres all over again. I'm not interested in that at all.

My number one choice would be Gasol if he's willing to take the mid-level exception. I actually like Marc better and that is the other reason I prefer Pau, so he can help recruit Marc here when he is a free agent. Not sure what the Spurs FO think about Marc though, and how high up he is on their list when he is a free agent, or if they value other players higher in that free agent class.

slick'81
07-06-2014, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't mind him but he's not coming here for the vet min IMO.hes not a priority either though

palangi
07-06-2014, 01:07 AM
I don't think either are ,top 9, rotation players at this point. Anderson is probably going to be a 3 but it would be interesting to see if he could play the 4 with Diaw at the 5 in certain situations. Cojo-Beli-Manu-Anderson-Diaw. The Spurs have 0 rim protection off the bench, anyways, so might as well go the blow the doors off route on our opponents.
At that point you take Daye over Williams. He is younger and been in the system for a year.

Leetonidas
07-06-2014, 01:23 AM

WTF?? :lol

spurs1990
07-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Strictly Arison with the Jew move, which is why James is making his fat ass sweat now. :lol

More like Sterling move. They both don't like paying white guys - see JJ Redick.

superbigtime
07-06-2014, 01:43 AM
I don't want marvin williams. NO

mudyez
07-06-2014, 02:48 AM
One more of these 3/4s the team may look for. i like it but...

...I like Marion on a short contract more. Just lock him in the gym with Chip and see what comes out. (j/k, I'm well aware that even chip can't do anything about his shot at this point in his career)

mudyez
07-06-2014, 02:49 AM
One more of these 3/4s the team may look for. i like it but...

...I like Marion on a short contract more. Just lock him in the gym with Chip and see what comes out. (j/k, I'm well aware that even chip can't do anything about his shot at this point in his career)

Ice009
07-06-2014, 02:53 AM
I like Marion, but I don't know if I can because of his horrendous jumpshot. That shooting form is horrible. Has he ever hit a high percentage from long distance?

100%duncan
07-06-2014, 04:11 AM
Pass

DesignatedT
07-06-2014, 04:19 AM
Not my first choice but I would welcome Marvin and his skill set here. Certainly brings something different that we don't have a lot of. Also played well last year. All things considered it could be a nice addition to an already loaded roster. Don't understand the hate in here. Probably the posters who actually think we have a chance at a guy like Gasol. That's not happening. Wake up.

ceperez
07-06-2014, 05:14 AM
Not my first choice but I would welcome Marvin and his skill set here. Certainly brings something different that we don't have a lot of. Also played well last year. All things considered it could be a nice addition to an already loaded roster. Don't understand the hate in here. Probably the posters who actually think we have a chance at a guy like Gasol. That's not happening. Wake up.

Spurs can't get Gasol unless he signs for the MLE or they get rid of Diaw.

No real hate here, a lot think that Marvin Williams won't sign for the veteran minimum. Given he's only 27 and has never shown a passion for the game, I doubt he'll want to make a sacrifice just to play for a championship.

Guys with stellar careers (i.e. Vince Carter ) who have nothing left to prove but to win a championship are the guys who will sign for the minimum.

Mel_13
07-06-2014, 07:51 AM

I basically agree. It just seems that talking about this guy as a minimum signing is pointless. His stock has fallen for sure, but it seems extremely unlikely that he'll have to settle for the minimum.

Duncan2177
07-06-2014, 08:33 AM

I'll get with Pop and RC and relay your thoughts.

xmas1997
07-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Well, it has been over a day ago since this news broke. No tellng how long before that it actually happened.
Yet since then, no new news that the Spurs or any other team has gotten this player to commit.
What does that tell you?
Next player, please.

cd021
07-06-2014, 09:06 AM
At that point you take Daye over Williams. He is younger and been in the system for a year.

actually 4 months including the postseason Williams is already a PF with range while Daye aspires to play the 4. Not in love with either.

cd021
07-06-2014, 09:08 AM
I basically agree. It just seems that talking about this guy as a minimum signing is pointless. His stock has fallen for sure, but it seems extremely unlikely that he'll have to settle for the minimum.

BAE?

Mel_13
07-06-2014, 09:11 AM
BAE?

You're right, the Spurs have the BAE. It would be better than using part of the MLE and maybe it would be enough to get him.

Ice009
07-06-2014, 09:17 AM
BAE?

I'd be OK with signing him if he was willing to take that. I just don't want to spend any part of the MLE on him. I agree 100% with Mel_13 on that one.

palangi
07-06-2014, 09:31 AM
actually 4 months including the postseason Williams is already a PF with range while Daye aspires to play the 4. Not in love with either.
Still been in the system longer.

And oI don't get the love affair with Williams. I live in Utah and have warched this guy. He is not athletic like some here are trying to make him. In this instance the grass is not greener with Marvin. He doesn't bring anything to the table we don't already have. And since he hasn't been around the system, he will spend most of his time on the bench.

daye is taller, younger, better ball handler, much better defender (Williams is terrible), and equal in athleticism.

Raven
07-06-2014, 09:36 AM

More like the opposite

Spurs Brazil
07-06-2014, 12:17 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo
Heat prez Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra flew to NC to meet with Jazz free agent forward Marvin Williams yesterday, a source told Yahoo.

Prime Time
07-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Damn, all these dudes sending legit recruits. Someone fly Daye over to NC, he can show Marvin his ring then tell him how easy it is to win a championship without doing jackshit.

xmas1997
07-06-2014, 12:23 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo
Heat prez Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra flew to NC to meet with Jazz free agent forward Marvin Williams yesterday, a source told Yahoo.

He's a far cry from Gasol and Deng. Must be plan D at this point. :lol

houston spurs fan
07-06-2014, 12:25 PM
I think just having the Spurs "interested" in you drives value up. These guys are using us. Stating the obvious I know but just being associted with SA drives value.

Kawhi
07-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Weren't they visiting Deng yesterday?

AFBlue
07-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Considering the original tweet stating Spurs interest said he's on the "next" list after Lebron, Melo and Deng I doubt he's signing anywhere for BAE or min.

Darkwaters
07-06-2014, 12:34 PM
He's a far cry from Gasol and Deng. Must be plan D at this point. :lol

Ummm...what are you talking about? Marvin Williams isn't in lieu of an MLE signing. He is in addition to one. Totally different factor.

Darkwaters
07-06-2014, 12:35 PM
BAE?

I've been saying BAE since yesterday

r0drig0lac
07-06-2014, 12:47 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo
power shift

Mel_13
07-06-2014, 01:11 PM
@SpearsNBAYahoo

The stink of desperation emanating from Miami is overwhelming.

ceperez
07-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Still been in the system longer.

And oI don't get the love affair with Williams. I live in Utah and have warched this guy. He is not athletic like some here are trying to make him. In this instance the grass is not greener with Marvin. He doesn't bring anything to the table we don't already have. And since he hasn't been around the system, he will spend most of his time on the bench.

daye is taller, younger, better ball handler, much better defender (Williams is terrible), and equal in athleticism.

Good observation about the lack of athleticism. Look at the videos, when he played for the Hawks he could really get up there, but when you see his videos with the Jazz, his arms just barely over the rim.

ceperez
07-06-2014, 01:19 PM

The game right now is to have the other competitor pay too much for a player. I would now mind seeing Miami pay more than the minimum for Marvin Williams.

Kindergarten Cop
07-06-2014, 01:36 PM

BatManu20
07-06-2014, 01:42 PM
:lol ST melting down over the possibility of signing Marvin Williams. There go our chances of landing Lebron :cry

Seriously though, worse things could happen you know.. And I remember a similar reaction when we signed Danny Green. Prob doesn't happen anyways but Williams just turned 28 and is still a solid 3&D option. He prob wouldn't get significant PT in the playoffs anyways. Wouldn't be the wort sign at the right price IMO. There are better options like Bazemore but they're all too expensive.

Vic Petro
07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
If they split the MLE between Williams and Bazemore I'll cry until I'm swimming in my own sorrow.

buttsR4rebounding
07-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Pop is planning to have the first team in NBA history to have the bench play more minutes than the starters. Everyone will average 19 minutes a game.

AFBlue
07-06-2014, 03:15 PM
If they split the MLE between Williams and Bazemore I'll cry until I'm swimming in my own sorrow.

A little dramatic don't you think? Honestly the Spurs could make no moves other than bringing back Mills/Diaw and they'd be in the driver's seat for another title. What they choose to do with their MLE is likely to have minimal effect, so why not spend it on a journeyman with all the tools that never quite lived up to his potential?

benefactor
07-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Go get him, Miami.

Vic Petro
07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
A little dramatic don't you think? Honestly the Spurs could make no moves other than bringing back Mills/Diaw and they'd be in the driver's seat for another title. What they choose to do with their MLE is likely to have minimal effect, so why not spend it on a journeyman with all the tools that never quite lived up to his potential?

Of course, was just an attempt at comedic hyperbole. It's the offseason so hand-wringing over roster spots is inevitable. This year the team is in such good shape, the hand-wringing is happening over end-of-the-roster players.

Given the lack of overall roster spots, I'd rather they try to get the best player they can with the full MLE, rather than split it up. And if they want to split it up I can think of some alternative targets I like better.

Incidentally if it did wind up being Williams + Bazemore (mostly baseless I know), I'd probably be more excited about Bazemore. Williams would be useful and Bazemore has been awful, but his defensive potential + athleticism + the power of Chip could make for an intriguing recipe.

Mr Bones
07-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Much rather take a chance on Aminu, who has certain impressive qualities-- rebounding and defense-- and would be cheaper than Williams. His glaring weakness-- shooting-- is something the Spurs might be able to help with.

Malik Hairston
07-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Wouldn't mind him as a small-ball 4 and occasional 3, tbh..

He was one of only 2 Jazz players that had a near-positive on/off net last season(along with Hayward)..he's a 35% spot-up 3-point shooter, which should increase with better spot-up looks in the Spurs system..capable of posting up against the mismatch(which would rarely occur, to be fair), good pick&pop player, good in transition..

Defensively is where the concern lies, he ranked poorly in virtually every defensive category, tbh..

I don't mind adding him if it isn't at the expense of anybody else, it's always good to add additional role player talent IMO..

exstatic
07-06-2014, 05:12 PM

Because it's been nine years, and he still hasn't figured shit out?

TD 21
07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Unless the Jazz offer him in excess of the MLE, he's probably Heat bound. Along with Humphries and Morrow, he's the only other name linked to them who's in their price range and unlike the Spurs, who can't offer more than spot minutes unless they rejigger their rotation and make Splitter the full time back C, the Heat can offer a starting role, with legit starter minutes.

Mr. Body
07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Miami needs multiple smaller bargain signings instead of boffo big guys. They already have stars, they need role players.

Malik Hairston
07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
It's pretty funny that the majority of Spurs fans are against signing a pretty decent player in Williams, yet most of them were strongly hoping the team would sign washed up scrubs like Granger last year:lol..

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Spurs fan is picky.

Darkwaters
07-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Haha, my take as well!

I can see the vultures circling the corpse already...

Ice009
07-06-2014, 08:47 PM
It's pretty funny that the majority of Spurs fans are against signing a pretty decent player in Williams, yet most of them were strongly hoping the team would sign washed up scrubs like Granger last year:lol..

It's because we don't really want him for any part of the MLE. If it's for the minimum like Granger would have been (I think the Spurs only had the minimum to offer), I'd be very interested in Marvin.

For a part of the MLE (if the Spurs can't get Gasol), I'd rather some like Aminu who is younger and has much better defensive potential. If Chip thinks he can fix his shot, then I'd much rather Aminu over Williams.

Malik Hairston
07-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Aminu is just another young player that doesn't have nearly as much potential as everybody believes IMO..

Mbah a Moute Vol. 2, tbh..

tholdren
07-06-2014, 09:19 PM
because he sucks, and bazemore is the kind of hyped trash that the kings passed along in the early 2000's. I would rather keep Bonner than have either of these two.

ceperez
07-06-2014, 09:22 PM

The guy has been in the league for 9 years and in the last 2 years averaged under 10 points per game for a non-playoff team. Other than the supposed athleticism when he was drafted at #2, I have yet to hear anything impressive about his performance in 9 years. He's never averaged more than 15 points a game in his entire career.

Granger by contrast average over 18 points for 5 years in his career.

exstatic
07-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Aminu is just another young player that doesn't have nearly as much potential as everybody believes IMO..

Mbah a Moute Vol. 2, tbh..

He doesn't have to be Kawhi. He's an elite defensive rebounder and pick and roll defender. He can guard 2s,3s,and stretch 4s. If Chip can tweak his shot, he can play for this team, sort of a larger Danny Green.

Malik Hairston
07-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Because Granger has looked like a D-league player for the past 2 years, while Williams has a pretty good season for a role player last year..

I don't think Williams is anything special, but he actually looked decent as a role player last year, despite playing with bottom-tier talent around him..he is obviously a proven failure as a focal option, so his bust status is irrelevant IMO..

Malik Hairston
07-06-2014, 09:25 PM
He doesn't have to be Kawhi. He's an elite defensive rebounder and pick and roll defender. He can guard 2s,3s,and stretch 4s. If Chip can tweak his shot, he can play for this team, sort of a larger Danny Green.

I'd be fine with Aminu, too, I'm all for adding role player talent, but some people on this forum talk about him like he has Kawhi potential:lol..

He would need to make colossal offensive strides to be anything more than a lesser Mbah a Moute, which doesn't fit with the Spurs IMO..

CitizenDwayne
07-06-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm no huge Marvin Williams fan, but I'm not really sure what everyone is seeing in Aminu.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2014, 09:57 PM
He sucks

He is a massive mental midget just like Jefferson. DO NOT WANT

This reminded me of Jefferson as well. Starvin Marvin should go elsewhere.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm no huge Marvin Williams fan, but I'm not really sure what everyone is seeing in Aminu.

Upside. Great athlete, strong defensively and on the boards, and maybe Chip could teach him how to shoot.

He also needs a dribbling coach, but I'm sure we can find one of those! :lol