PDA

View Full Version : so now what??

davi78239
07-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Who do the spurs pursue now after coming to terms with Diaw and Patty??

ducks
07-06-2014, 06:12 PM
spend the mld on gasol

Ron Swanson
07-06-2014, 06:13 PM
MLE for Gasol will be their next offer. Slim chance Gasol takes it, though.

r0drig0lac
07-06-2014, 06:18 PM
LeBron

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Stop

Westbrook
Jackson
Durant
Gasol
Ibaka

from happening tbh

Hemotivo
07-06-2014, 06:22 PM
spend the mld on gasol
Spend all the money if you can; go get Gasol

Mel_13
07-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Wait for a decision from Gasol.

Baam
07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
A guard, Mills could very well miss the whole season.

Troy Daniels or Bazemore would do.

Gasol is a bad fit with both Duncan and Splitter so imo they'd have to move Splitter if they got him...

Dre_7
07-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Bad fit? Gasol would be PERFECT on the Spurs. Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, and Gasol. That would be the best passing big man rotation in the NBA.

thispego
07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Now you fuckin kill yourself

Vic Petro
07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
There's only 2 roster spots left to be split between Baynes, Bonner, or MLE. I'm guessing the Cotton thing was BS.

thispego
07-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Bad fit? Gasol would be PERFECT on the Spurs. Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, and Gasol. That would be the best passing big man rotation in NBA history.

fify

Mr. Body
07-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Spurs really need a shooting guard who can get his own shot, but that player is not out there and Gasol is an incredible opportunity. Just filthy, if unlikely.

slick'81
07-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Hope spurs don't pull another ayers

2 roster spots open with baynes still undecided

ChumpDumper
07-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Shoot for gasol. Some SF after that.

Otherwise leave the last spot open.

look_at_g_shred
07-06-2014, 07:07 PM
CD-R da truth no one wants to listen doe
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlTuP1k_x4

Splits
07-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Best FO in the league needs to admit the Errors of their ways and figure out how to dump that piece of shit so we have an extra roster spot.

Taking it to the Hole
07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
My guess is we target Gasol, but it would be awfully nice if we could get rid of some dead weight in the process.

hitmantb
07-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Why would Gasol take a big pay cut to come to the Spurs? He is got two rings already, without ever getting a FMVP or MVP, more rings would not be enhancing his legacy, a big contract is what he is looking for at this point. It is the same situation for Chris Bosh, does 2 more rings behind Wade/LeBron do much for him? No, a max contract is much more desirable.

Having said that, worst case scenario for the Spurs is Gasol on OKC, Bosh on HOU, two incredibly nasty teams. A full health Ibaka may have already beaten the Spurs. Trade Perkins for Gasol is a gigantic upgrade! Same with HOU if they replace Asik and Lin for Bosh's outside shooting. We can laugh at Brooks and McHale's of the world all we want, but at some point they will look at Spurs minute management and make their stars play less than 40 minutes a game during the regular season, use the bench a bit more pick up a few plays (PNR with Westbrook/Durant, Howard/Harden, nothing fancy) other than ISO, and with enough talents they will get over the hump. Remember Pop was a very average coach back in 1999, until you get the respect of the management you can not do things like rest starters and take a loss in the process. A lot of what other coaches are not doing, is simply because they do not have the same leverage as Pop does.

Age and injury, no matter how well Pop manage minutes, is also bound to happen at some point. As a Spurs fan I am 100% satisfied, anything extra from here on is just gravy. But I think next season is heavily dependent on where Bosh/Gasol/even Boozer of the world lands. Boozer is a joke at 16 million but if you pick him up for next to nothing, it is a huge upgrade for any team.

Darkwaters
07-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Why would Gasol take a big pay cut to come to the Spurs?

He has been the scapegoat in Los Angeles for the last several years. The Lakers weren't even hardly relevant until he showed up and helped them win two titles. But Kobe has a cancerous way of pushing blame off on other people. He probably the worst teammate in the NBA. I'm sure hes gritting his teeth at the prospect of staying - although if they sign some more quality then he could be a big part of something good. But if not, then he can come to San Antonio and actually be respected as a person and player.

ElNono
07-06-2014, 08:08 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6415358720/h79F54FC6/

CGD
07-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Start identifying Plan B for if/when Gasol passes on the Spurs, and wait on Melo.

If Gasol passes on Spurs, sign McRoberts, keep Baynes, and let Bonner walk. If Gasol joins Spurs, withdraw QO to Byanes (unless they can move/waive Ayres's 1.8M), and sign Bonner to conserve the stretch bigman option.

-21-
07-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Get the best player available who'll take the MLE. Right now it looks like Gasol. Another reason to go after him is to prevent OKC from signing him.

ceperez
07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Get the best player available who'll take the MLE. Right now it looks like Gasol. Another reason to go after him is to prevent OKC from signing him.

The real value of signing Gasol is that you prevent another contender for signing him.

If Spurs sign Gasol, it's championship #6. If Gasol joins another team ... they still have to beat the Spurs.

Darkwaters
07-06-2014, 08:45 PM
The real value of signing Gasol is that you prevent another contender for signing him.

If Spurs sign Gasol, it's championship #6. If Gasol joins another team ... they still have to beat the Spurs.

+1

But he also goes a long ways towards allowing Duncan to rest during the regular season too...

cd98
07-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Why would Gasol take a big pay cut to come to the Spurs? He is got two rings already, without ever getting a FMVP or MVP, more rings would not be enhancing his legacy, a big contract is what he is looking for at this point. It is the same situation for Chris Bosh, does 2 more rings behind Wade/LeBron do much for him? No, a max contract is much more desirable.

Having said that, worst case scenario for the Spurs is Gasol on OKC, Bosh on HOU, two incredibly nasty teams. A full health Ibaka may have already beaten the Spurs. Trade Perkins for Gasol is a gigantic upgrade! Same with HOU if they replace Asik and Lin for Bosh's outside shooting. We can laugh at Brooks and McHale's of the world all we want, but at some point they will look at Spurs minute management and make their stars play less than 40 minutes a game during the regular season, use the bench a bit more pick up a few plays (PNR with Westbrook/Durant, Howard/Harden, nothing fancy) other than ISO, and with enough talents they will get over the hump. Remember Pop was a very average coach back in 1999, until you get the respect of the management you can not do things like rest starters and take a loss in the process. A lot of what other coaches are not doing, is simply because they do not have the same leverage as Pop does.

Age and injury, no matter how well Pop manage minutes, is also bound to happen at some point. As a Spurs fan I am 100% satisfied, anything extra from here on is just gravy. But I think next season is heavily dependent on where Bosh/Gasol/even Boozer of the world lands. Boozer is a joke at 16 million but if you pick him up for next to nothing, it is a huge upgrade for any team.

Gasol would come to the best team with the best chance of winning, a hall of fame coach, Euro friendly offense, and the best lockerroom in the NBA. A team with no egos where everyone genuinely likes each other.

xmas1997
07-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Gasol would come to the best team with the best chance of winning, a hall of fame coach, Euro friendly offense, and the best lockerroom in the NBA. A team with no egos where everyone genuinely likes each other.

Yes, in a perfect world he would.
Actually, if he is as intelligent as Beli was when he opted to come here last year, and the money isn't that big a factor, then he would choose the Spurs just like Beli did.

tholdren
07-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Start identifying Plan B for if/when Gasol passes on the Spurs, and wait on Melo.

If Gasol passes on Spurs, sign McRoberts, keep Baynes, and let Bonner walk. If Gasol joins Spurs, withdraw QO to Byanes (unless they can move/waive Ayres's 1.8M), and sign Bonner to conserve the stretch bigman option.

I think this is a mistake. Why would you cut Baynes? For as much shit as people talk about SPUR type players, he should be in the forefront. He's young, he does what he is told, is coachable, and has no ego and shows improvement throughout the season. In addition, we need a young player to fill in as capable once TD goes away. He's shown that he's earned a spot. Get rid of Bonner, waive Ayers, doesn't matter, Baynes will eventually be what we need in a "tough" player.

CGD
07-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I think this is a mistake. Why would you cut Baynes? For as much shit as people talk about SPUR type players, he should be in the forefront. He's young, he does what he is told, is coachable, and has no ego and shows improvement throughout the season. In addition, we need a young player to fill in as capable once TD goes away. He's shown that he's earned a spot. Get rid of Bonner, waive Ayers, doesn't matter, Baynes will eventually be what we need in a "tough" player.

I like Baynes, but if the Spurs land Gasol I like the different dimension and options that Bonner brings more. If the team adds Gasol, spacing gets complicated. Diaw's 3 ball, while improved, isn't consistent enough to draw out the other team's bigman, not to mention the Spurs feature him as a creator for the 2nd unit so he's not just camping out on the arc. The stretch 4 doesn't have to be Bonner, but unless the Spurs can do a sign-and-trade for a McRoberts type their options are limits since they'd have used the full MLE on Gasol.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Get rid of Ayers! Trade him and a 2016 1st that reverts back to the spurs if it's outside of the lottery. Bogdan Bogdanovic, then sign Bertans.

benstanfield
07-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Is Gasol going to start over Splitter, the team's best front court defender? So MLE terrible defense guy will start over 9m dollar, younger guy?

Or are people thinking he's going to take a large paycut to come off the bench, because he was so happy when Dantoni didn't play him?

Baam
07-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Is Gasol going to start over Splitter, the team's best front court defender? So MLE terrible defense guy will start over 9m dollar, younger guy?

Or are people thinking he's going to take a large paycut to come off the bench, because he was so happy when Dantoni didn't play him?

:toast exactly, btw TP could help with the recruting as he's friend with Pau but it doesn't make much sense as constructed... They'd have to trade Splitter and even then it'd be a bad fit to have him start next to Tim...

Splits
07-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Same with HOU if they replace Asik and Lin for Bosh's outside shooting.

He's a career 31% 3pt shooter.

Vash StampedE
07-07-2014, 03:12 AM
fify
My thoughts, exactly. If NBA fans think they've seen the best basketball in recent years, wait till Gasol comes to the Spurs.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-07-2014, 03:17 AM
Parker/Kawhi/Tiago + 2 1st round picks for S&T LeBron/Cole. :lol

Mr. Body
07-07-2014, 09:30 AM
If Gasol comes I think something would have to be done with Splitter, unfortunately.

Kineto
07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Gasol for the MLE is not gonna happen. No way that he come here for less than half the money he could get elsewhere...

My dream interseason would be :

sign Bonner for the vet. min
sign Bo McCaled for part of the MLE.
sign-and-trade with the hornets for McRoberts, 18M/3y for Joseph+Ayers+asset (2nd roud pick, eurostash...) and trade exception (maybe with a 3rd team like Phily or Orlando)

Parker, McCalleb, Mills
Green, Ginobilli, Belinelli
Leonard, Anderson, Daye
Duncan, Diaw, Bonner
Splitter, McRoberts, Baynes

Deepest spurs team ever

TheTruth
07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
fify

Hey

Dre_7
07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Gasol for the MLE is not gonna happen. No way that he come here for less than half the money he could get elsewhere...

My dream interseason would be :

sign Bonner for the vet. min
sign Bo McCaled for part of the MLE.
sign-and-trade with the hornets for McRoberts, 18M/3y for Joseph+Ayers+asset (2nd roud pick, eurostash...) and trade exception (maybe with a 3rd team like Phily or Orlando)

Parker, McCalleb, Mills
Green, Ginobilli, Belinelli
Leonard, Anderson, Daye
Duncan, Diaw, Bonner
Splitter, McRoberts, Baynes

Deepest spurs team ever

With Mills being out several months I really don't want to see the Spurs trade away Joesph without getting a quilty back-up PG in return.