Splits
07-07-2014, 01:16 AM
Supercomputer vs. Tablet, tbh

phxspurfan
07-07-2014, 01:56 AM
So in a nutshell, Avery = Jacque Vaughn

ElNono
07-07-2014, 02:56 AM
:lol from a passing perspective, such an awful offense to watch compared to the '14 team

FromWayDowntown
07-07-2014, 11:33 AM
:lol from a passing perspective, such an awful offense to watch compared to the '14 team

I recently re-watched Games 3, 5, and 6 of the 2003 Finals and was immediately struck by the monumental difference between those Spurs and the Spurs of the last few years. I had completely forgotten that the Spurs played 6 Finals games that year with an absolutely dominant Tim Duncan and did not manage to score 20 points in a first quarter at any point during that series.

I think back then a lot of us believed that they won with dominating defense but were capable of being a really good offensive team when the circumstances allowed it. I think the truth is that those teams, even with a super-super-duper star were ridiculously great defensively and that allowed them to get just enough offensively to beat a lot of teams; but really, those teams were pretty bad offensively and the rebuilding of the Spurs from a stonewall defensive club into an offensive machine has been a more radical overhaul than many of us have realized.