PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor

cantthinkofanything
07-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Saw this yesterday. Excellent movie. Should have been nominated for several Oscars. I haven't seen all last year's nominees but it was better than American Hustle, Captain Phillips, and Gravity.

Infinite_limit
07-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Yes it was quite good. But it being nominated for Oscars is more of a reflection on the decline of Hollywood than anything else.

The film wasn't completely accurate. The whole "locals" joining in the fight against the evil "Taliban" was a nice story but inaccurate. In real life those two groups have an understanding and the "Taliban" openly allowed the American soldier to be rescued.

cantthinkofanything
07-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Yes it was quite good. But it being nominated for Oscars is more of a reflection on the decline of Hollywood than anything else.

The film wasn't completely accurate. The whole "locals" joining in the fight against the evil "Taliban" was a nice story but inaccurate. In real life those two groups have an understanding and the "Taliban" openly allowed the American soldier to be rescued.

I didn't check to see what was accurate or inaccurate but the idea that the locals would fight the Taliban and put their families at risk did seem like an embellishment. But there were also inaccuracies in Captain Phillips. Also Gravity didn't seem like it really happened that way either.

UZER
07-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Yeah, another inaccurate movie is Transformers. I mean, how could that get that one wrong. Based on a true story my ass.

SnakeBoy
07-08-2014, 10:32 PM
I didn't check to see what was accurate or inaccurate but the idea that the locals would fight the Taliban and put their families at risk did seem like an embellishment. But there were also inaccuracies in Captain Phillips. Also Gravity didn't seem like it really happened that way either.

Well the guy did help him, there just wasn't a battle. The Taliban has a bounty on his head and he's had family members injured/killed.

cantthinkofanything
07-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Well the guy did help him, there just wasn't a battle. The Taliban has a bounty on his head and he's had family members injured/killed.

damn...

Then they should get a full pass on the battle. It makes the point that they were willing to risk family for saving him. They should have mentioned the bounty and killed family before the credits IMO. Unless that was all after the shooting of the movie.