PDA

View Full Version : How much do the Suns want Finley?

Kori Ellis
08-19-2005, 02:34 AM
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/finley_mailbox_050818.html

email Michael! Help us bring Finley home!

Posted: Aug. 18, 2005
The Phoenix Suns are pursuing Michael Finley!

Okay, okay, so maybe we're not breaking news here. The Suns' interest in the All-Star guard, who was recently released by the Dallas Mavericks under the NBA's "amnesty" clause, has been widely reported both locally and nationally. But, as you've also heard, the Suns aren't the only suitors pursuing the veteran free-agent. In fact, if media accounts are accurate, all four teams that competed in the Conference Finals this past spring are interested in bringing Finley on board.

So why should Mike choose Phoenix over anywhere else? Well, there's the Steve Nash factor, of course. The two are close friends from their days in Dallas. There's the opportunity to play a big role on a team that won 62 games last season. And then there's the familiarity with the organization and the city, as it was the Suns who originally drafted Finley out of Wisconsin back in 1995.

But Mike knows all of this already. And just in case he forgot, several of the Suns have placed calls to Finley to remind him and let him know how much they want him here. But we want to take it a step further. We want to make sure he knows just how much he is wanted and respected, not only by Suns players, coaches and the front office, but by you, the fans.

Here's your chance to help the Suns recruit a big-name free-agent. Just fill out the e-mail form below with your comments for Mike and let him know why you want to see him in a Suns uniform again. Share some of your favorite Finley memories. Tell him why you think he would make a difference, as the Suns chase after their first NBA Championship. Pour your heart out. Beg if you have to. All of your e-mails will be printed out and delivered to Michael's agent.

We want Michael Finley back in the Valley and we know you do, too!

Kori Ellis
08-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Finley deal could prevent rump roast

The Arizona Republic
Aug. 19, 2005 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0819bickley0819.html

A guarantee from the Suns:

If the basketball doesn't make you dizzy, the off-season will. The only stable jobs belong to the Gorilla and the guy that makes locker room nameplates.

It would be nice if the latter could get to work on F-I-N-L-E-Y.

"Either way, I like the team we have," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We have a good chance to be as good or better as we were last year. You can hold me to that and fry my butt if we don't."

Deal.

Certainly, each of the primary additions in this tumultuous summer - Kurt Thomas, Raja Bell and Brian Grant - has filled an existing weakness.

All are high-character guys that work hard and play defense. Yet none of them can fill the hole in the boat when the Joe Johnson trade is finally consummated.

This is why the pursuit of Michael Finley is so important.

Not so much as a basketball player, because at age 32, his skills are clearly starting to slip.

This is more about symbolism, restoring hope and forgetting what has been lost along the way.

If Finley agrees to play for the Suns, it will be for the minimum salary, more playing time and the chance to be with a close friend, Steve Nash.

It will be for all the right reasons, and after the Johnson fiasco, he would come to Phoenix as a returning hero.

He would be painted as the perfect short-term substitute, an ideal contrast to the greedy Johnson. His constant smile would instantly wash away any lingering doubt. The owner and the P.R. department have their fingers crossed.

"I think our management has done a really good job of dancing around some of these landmines, of reacting to some of the things that have come up in the off-season," D'Antoni said.

If it sounds like the coach is kissing some superior posterior, he is.

The entire organization is becoming as defensive off the court as they are on the court. The constant spin is galling.

What, do we just forget that there are four players left from a team that went 31-4 to start last season? Just brush off a team that was a broken orbital bone away from winning a title, a young group so exciting that it became the symbol for the new NBA?

Yet the new and older Suns will be as rugged as a flannel shirt. Opponents will no longer cruise untouched to the basket. They have raised their standard of defense and toughness to a level typically seen among NBA champions.

It won't be as fun to watch, but if Finley comes aboard, they might have enough offense to make it work the conventional way.

"We still have our three All-Stars," D'Antoni said. "We still have Amaré (Stoudemire) running the floor, Shawn Marion on the wing and Steve Nash pushing the ball. Those are the things that people have a hard time dealing with."

Still, if the lack of offense and general credibility weren't an issue, the Suns wouldn't be posting a page on their Web site asking fans to write Finley:

"Pour your heart out. Beg if you have to. All of your e-mails will be printed out and delivered to Michael's agent."

Something like this should work wonders:

In Miami, you would be just another guard in glam-town. In Phoenix, you'd be the guardian angel, floating in and making everything OK.

And remember, when the legs start to go, it's nice to have some wings.

TheTruth
08-19-2005, 02:38 AM
Just brush off a team that was a broken orbital bone away from winning a title

is he for real?

Mr. Body
08-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Michael Finley sitting on Raja Bell's shoulders might have as much potential as Joe Johnson.

milkyway21
08-19-2005, 02:45 AM
:lol

this Finley FA is becoming a scratch head to some people.
Spree is waiting to seal his deal w/ Pistons, Jones w/ Miami(not mentioning Cleveland is also wating for Jones), and everywhere else(incl the Spurs?:D).

Why it took this loooooooooong for Mike to come to his senses and make up his mind? What he's waiting for?:angel

Trainwreck2100
08-19-2005, 02:46 AM
good idea, fill up his mailbox, because everyone just loves Spam.

baseline bum
08-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Man, I'm tempted to email him and say please go to Phoenix so he can be eliminated at the hands of Bruce Bowen again in the playoffs, and how he has no chance of that happening in Miami since Antoine Walker will assure they will not reach the Finals. I should ask him if his mother liked the popcorn, beer, and sodas at the Alomodome too.

milkyway21
08-19-2005, 02:49 AM
heh :D

let's do it!

Marcus Bryant
08-19-2005, 02:49 AM
Would've. Could've. Should've.

Didn't.

3 to 0, Motherfuck.

baseline bum
08-19-2005, 02:54 AM
They have raised their standard of defense and toughness to a level typically seen among NBA champions.

So they used the amnesty clause on Nash then?

milkyway21
08-19-2005, 03:21 AM
the Suns wouldn't be posting a page on their Web site asking fans to write Finley:

"Pour your heart out. Beg if you have to. All of your e-mails will be printed out and delivered to Michael's agent."

Something like this should work wonders:

In Miami, you would be just another guard in glam-town. In Phoenix, you'd be the guardian angel, floating in and making everything OK.

And remember, when the legs start to go, it's nice to have some wings.huh :huh are these necessary things to do for teams trying to lure players to your teams?

as what Grant said to Nash when he signed with the Suns....."save your breath, you had me at hello"

i guess the competition next season has become hotter than ever.

Kori Ellis
08-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Detroit is waiting on Finley too, but has Spree as their backup plan.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0508/19/D01-286078.htm

Friday, August 19, 2005

Pistons continue to court Finley
But Miami might be the logical destination for forward; Sprewell is a Detroit possibility.

By Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- The Michael Finley waiting game continues.

The Pistons are among the few teams still hoping to land Finley, a free-agent forward.They also are talking to guard Latrell Sprewell.

The Heat, Pistons, Suns, Spurs and Nuggets are on the short list for Finley, the hottest free agent in the market.

"We're still hopeful," John Hammond, the Pistons' vice president of basketball operations, said Thursday evening. "We want to be in the running."

Finley, 32, has not tipped his hand about his next destination. There is also no timetable for his decision.

Henry Thomas, Finley's agent, did not return phone calls Thursday.

The Heat are considered the front-runners for Finley because he has a number of connections to the team. He played at the University of Wisconsin for coach Stan Van Gundy, the Heat can offer the $5 million exemption, Thomas is also Dwyane Wade's agent and Finley would be on a contending team.

Meanwhile, the Pistons continue their discussions with Sprewell's agent, Robert Gist. Earlier in the week, Gist said his client is interested in the Pistons, Rockets and Heat.

Sprewell, 34, would be slotted as a bench addition, spelling shooting guard Rip Hamilton.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Mike D'Antoni is one arrogant fuck that clearly thinks his team is a little too good. Notice the difference between an unproven zero like him and a guy like Pop, who after three titles in seven years would never dare to put his team on the pedestal D'Antoni does.

Phoenix loses Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson has nobody backing up Steve Nash, adds Kurt Thomas, Brian Grant and Raja Bell and they're better? Can I get some of that weed you're smoking Mike?

samikeyp
08-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Just brush off a team that was a broken orbital bone away from winning a title,

or brush off a team that WON the title. Your choice Fin-dog.

Supergirl
08-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Yeah, Suns are in trouble. They played with heart and showed that the best offense you can put together is ALMOST good enough to win it all. But now, they've weakened that offense (no JJ, no Q, and Brian Grant and Kurt Thomas --and Finley, should he come -- will only slow them down) and only improved minimally in defense. Their defense will be better next year but not as good as the Spurs, the Pistons, the Heat, hell even the Nuggets.

Suns will exit the 1st round next year, I predict.

batman2883
08-19-2005, 10:40 AM
They picked up Brian Grant too, this team is really getting desperate to try and beat the Spurs, it wont happen though

BillsCarnage
08-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, Suns are in trouble. They played with heart and showed that the best offense you can put together is ALMOST good enough to win it all. But now, they've weakened that offense (no JJ, no Q, and Brian Grant and Kurt Thomas --and Finley, should he come -- will only slow them down) and only improved minimally in defense. Their defense will be better next year but not as good as the Spurs, the Pistons, the Heat, hell even the Nuggets.

Suns will exit the 1st round next year, I predict.

Marked and noted

That whole email Finley has become a mockery here. It is silly. But they are working on a S&T for James Jones, using part of the trade exceptions. When he got minutes he put up good #'s and if it happened he could be Marions replacement based on Marions salary and how many times he's been mentioned in trade rumors.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2005, 11:47 AM
"a team that was a broken orbital bone away from winning a title"

That's the dumbest NBA quote I've heard in a long time. It's almost surprisingly stupid, even from Arizona.

Supergirl
08-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Marked and noted

That whole email Finley has become a mockery here. It is silly. But they are working on a S&T for James Jones, using part of the trade exceptions. When he got minutes he put up good #'s and if it happened he could be Marions replacement based on Marions salary and how many times he's been mentioned in trade rumors.

Who's working a trade for James Jones? The Suns? I thought the SPurs were looking to sign Jones.

z0sa
08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
I won't make any Suns playoff predictions but will they achieve 60+ wins again? Nope.

adrienne
08-19-2005, 12:49 PM
None of that is unusual for the Suns organization...don't you all remember how "the Suns don't foul", and all that garbage D'Antoni spewed?

BillsCarnage
08-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Who's working a trade for James Jones? The Suns? I thought the SPurs were looking to sign Jones.

If Finley falls throught they've inquired with Indiana on a S&T with part of the trade exception from th JoJo deal.

Jones is restricted, so a S&T is most likely for another team unless they offer him outrageous money so Indiana wouldn't match.

CaptainLate
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Finley deal could prevent rump roast

The Arizona Republic
Aug. 19, 2005 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0819bickley0819.html

A guarantee from the Suns:

[snip]

"We still have our three All-Stars," D'Antoni said. "We still have Amaré (Stoudemire) running the floor, Shawn Marion on the wing and Steve Nash pushing the ball. Those are the things that people have a hard time dealing with."

Spurs didn't. We shut down "Matrix" and Steve "the Matador" Nash was kept busy with TP. We showed that Amare can't do it on his own.

CaptainLate
08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Detroit is waiting on Finley too, but has Spree as their backup plan.

If PJ Carlesimo had gone to the Wolves, the Spurs would probably be in the mix for Spree -- unless Pop thinks he's doesn't have much left in the tank.

CaptainLate
08-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah, Suns are in trouble. They played with heart and showed that the best offense you can put together is ALMOST good enough to win it all.

We beat them at their own game and they were freethrows away from being swept. That ain't "ALMOST".

BillsCarnage
08-19-2005, 01:30 PM
We beat them at their own game and they were freethrows away from being swept. That ain't "ALMOST".

They were also a few offensive/defensive rebounds from making it much closer.

CaptainLate
08-19-2005, 01:55 PM

Hard to do that against defensive teams. And that's my point. They proved that all "O and no "D" = No "ALMOST".

Obstructed_View
08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
While that's probably true, it is an awfully long way from being anything but a long way from winning a title. The Suns should probably accept the fact that they were out classed and just work harder, but they seem to think that they were good enough and the officials, random bounces of the ball and injuries are to blame. I'm not sure that's realistic.

BillsCarnage
08-19-2005, 02:03 PM
While that's probably true, it is an awfully long way from being anything but a long way from winning a title. The Suns should probably accept the fact that they were out classed and just work harder, but they seem to think that they were good enough and the officials, random bounces of the ball and injuries are to blame. I'm not sure that's realistic.

Um, i think they do realize that which is why they've brought in KT and Bell. Grant, as worthless as he could be, provides a big body in the middle to clog the lane. Won't know until the season plays out.

SenorSpur
08-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Man, I'm tempted to email him and say please go to Phoenix so he can be eliminated at the hands of Bruce Bowen again in the playoffs, and how he has no chance of that happening in Miami since Antoine Walker will assure they will not reach the Finals. I should ask him if his mother liked the popcorn, beer, and sodas at the Alomodome too.

I feel you on that one Bum. No way Finley is even 1/2 the player that JJ is. I'd love for him to go to PHX and perhaps this time we'll finish them off in a sweep. Recall that we almost had them in four back in June.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Um, i think they do realize that which is why they've brought in KT and Bell. Grant, as worthless as he could be, provides a big body in the middle to clog the lane. Won't know until the season plays out.
Not exactly a trade up from Richardson and Johnson, and the loss of Steven Hunter as a big body in the middle cannot be made up by Brian Grant IMHO. I wouldn't consider the team better than it was at the end of the season. If anything, they are just as weak on the defensive end and relatively hamstrung on offense. Their only way of winning last year, outscoring the other team, is going to be more difficult next year. That might be made up by the continued development of Stoudamire, who is an incredible talent. They will definitely be a playoff team. Typically teams don't win 60 games every year, so the Suns aren't in jeopardy of anything other than not winning the title again, which is going to be a surprise to nobody except Suns fans.

leemajors
08-19-2005, 06:33 PM
hunter could at least get up and down the court quickly. brian grant is dead on two dead legs

BillsCarnage
08-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Hunter was up and down the court when Amare was out. Amare, Marion and Nash were the three main players in their fastbreak with Q/JoJo the follow up. Those three are still there and now Bell/JJax are the follow up.

Obstructed_View
08-20-2005, 01:29 PM
So we agree that Raja Bell and Jimmy Jackson aren't an upgrade from Q and Johnson, and I can't imagine anyone saying that Grant is an upgrade for Hunter. It's not Hunter's fault that the Suns didn't see the need to start a young athletic 7 footer to allow the rest of their all-star front court to play in position. I don't think it'll take more than 2 seasons for them to seriously regret that loss.

Sense
08-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Allstar chasing won't make a team better, or make a team.

I really don't care if you have the all star team against the Spurs... the spurs would end up being the better team, we are good as we are. Let them improve and change everything they had.

They lost 2 starters... let's see how the team gets along with each other now..