PDA

View Full Version : Oakland As to San Anrtonio?

xmas1997
07-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Just reported on KSAT-TV sports news, they are giving Oakland an ultimatum that they will move to San Antonio and play in the Alamodome if they do not build a new stadium.
Sounds like San Antonio is being used as leverage again like the Marlins did.

lefty
07-08-2014, 06:34 PM
yay more fatties

:lol "sport"

Biernutz
07-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Bud Selig told the A's that they can move anytime they want...Note to Nelson Wolf and your quest with baseball to San Antonio.
I will not sit in a open air stadium in August with sweat pouring off of me to see any baseball game.....

xmas1997
07-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Bud Selig told the A's that they can move anytime they want...Note to Nelson Wolf and your quest with baseball to San Antonio.
I will not sit in a open air stadium in August with sweat pouring off of me to see any baseball game.....

Don't blame you.
Alamodome was mentioned.

xmas1997
07-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Or they may go to Montreal.

FkLA
07-09-2014, 12:24 AM
The left field wall for the Rangers-Astros games was really short, like in the 200-250 ft range. Unless the Dome has room to change up the dimensions I dont see how they would work for an entire MLB season tbh.

td4mvp2k
07-09-2014, 01:35 AM
yay more fatties:lol "sport":lol kickball

Blake
07-09-2014, 07:54 AM

It's why my last trip to see the Rangers at the Ballpark will be my last trip to the Ballpark

IrisHockey
07-09-2014, 05:25 PM
The A's won't move.

xmas1997
07-09-2014, 07:31 PM
The A's won't move.

Posturing?

baseline bum
07-09-2014, 07:35 PM
:lmao San Antonio can't support a baseball team

xmas1997
07-09-2014, 08:23 PM
:lmao San Antonio can't support a baseball team

That's what many say.
But we may get the chance to find out.
It is between us and Montreal.

Biernutz
07-09-2014, 09:24 PM
We could support a Football team better than a baseball team. We will never get a chance to do it as
long as Jerry is around.........He thinks of San Antonio as his plantation fans....

xmas1997
07-09-2014, 09:29 PM
We could support a Football team better than a baseball team. We will never get a chance to do it as
long as Jerry is around.........He thinks of San Antonio as his plantation fans....

This is very true, and the principal reason the Saints are not in San Antonio, not the PR nightmare of leaving N.O. as the commissioner claimed IMHO.
We could easily support a MLB team IMHO. This is a bigger baseball town than meets the eye.

spurs1990
07-22-2014, 02:36 AM
I'd be fully on board with MLB in south Texas but don't like having to take an established ball club like the athletics to do so.

We'd have the baseball version of the Sonics.

xmas1997
07-22-2014, 10:44 AM
There is no question that San Antonio could support not only MLB but also the NFL, and especially so if you add Austin and Corpus Christi in the mix IMHO.

I. Hustle
07-22-2014, 10:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11220021/a-owner-lew-wolff-willing-re-examine-new-oakland-ballpark

xmas1997
07-22-2014, 01:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11220021/a-owner-lew-wolff-willing-re-examine-new-oakland-ballpark

As usual, it looks like it isn't going to happen for San Antonio yet.

Pelicans78
07-22-2014, 03:50 PM
I think San Antonio would do well with the NFL, but not baseball. Alot of cities which do well with the NFL and the NBA would fail or are failing in MLB.

xmas1997
07-22-2014, 04:19 PM
San Antonio has always been a huge baseball town ever since my grandfathers' time at old Mission stadium.
Even County Judge Nelson Wolfe agrees with this.

baseline bum
07-23-2014, 10:54 AM
I can't picture 30,000 people showing up to 81 games a season here for a team that won't be able to ever keep any stars it develops.

JoeTait75
07-23-2014, 11:43 AM
If my town wasn't a big market- and San Antonio really isn't- I wouldn't want any part of MLB. Unless you're one of the very few markets that can support a big payroll it's frustrating knowing that, no matter how good your organization is, you're not much more than a glorified farm team for the Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox etc.

Pelicans78
07-23-2014, 01:20 PM
If my town wasn't a big market- and San Antonio really isn't- I wouldn't want any part of MLB. Unless you're one of the very few markets that can support a big payroll it's frustrating knowing that, no matter how good your organization is, you're not much more than a glorified farm team for the Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox etc.

I agree. San Antonio is a poor market for the MLB just for the reasons that you and Baseline Bum posted. I wouldn't want to see New Orleans having a MLB team. I would have no interest. I live closer to Houston now and I think its a fine baseball city, but the contracts in this sport are just ridiculous, especially the length.

Biernutz
07-23-2014, 07:22 PM
I would not go to a San Antonio home game in July or August in a open air baseball field to see a game.
Tell Nelson Wolf that.

xmas1997
07-24-2014, 01:00 PM
I would not go to a San Antonio home game in July or August in a open air baseball field to see a game.
Tell Nelson Wolf that.

:lol
I know exactly what you're saying.
But as a kid, I used to do just that at the old Mission stadium.

dg7md
07-25-2014, 07:36 AM
I'd be fully on board with MLB in south Texas but don't like having to take an established ball club like the athletics to do so.

We'd have the baseball version of the Sonics.

Absolutely. I don't live in SA, but I think moving a team with a lineage as strong as the A's would be a real tragedy, especially since San Antonio wouldn't be able to support a team. San Antonio seems like a basketball city, and Texas is a football state.

Plus, there's too many Rangers and Astros fans in the state to add a third to the mix and think they'll be some moneymaking franchise.

A's will stay in Oakland, the 4 World Series titles they possess will remind the community that they have a hell of a franchise and will keep it locked up, even if the Giants' success has really stolen a lot of devotion from that team lately.

Ditty
07-25-2014, 12:48 PM
I believe a MLB team in SA can work if the stadium was built two places: Somewhere in downtown SA, or somewhere between New Braunfels and San Marcos, where the Austin market can check out the team as well. Don't think we will get 30,000-40,000 a night unless the Yankees or Redsox are in town on a weekend, or of course make the playoffs but I can see 20,000 a night for the Mariners or Angels.

yavozerb
07-25-2014, 03:10 PM
I believe a MLB team in SA can work if the stadium was built two places: Somewhere in downtown SA, or somewhere between New Braunfels and San Marcos, where the Austin market can check out the team as well. Don't think we will get 30,000-40,000 a night unless the Yankees or Redsox are in town on a weekend, or of course make the playoffs but I can see 20,000 a night for the Mariners or Angels.

I have always thought a good spot for a stadium would be nesa where retama park is. Place is always filing bankruptcy and is aalready on a huge lot of land with infrastructure. Its also only 45-60 minutes from austin. Just a thought.

Ditty
07-25-2014, 03:26 PM
I have always thought a good spot for a stadium would be nesa where retama park is. Place is always filing bankruptcy and is aalready on a huge lot of land with infrastructure. Its also only 45-60 minutes from austin. Just a thought.

Agree, that would be the perfect location especially with the 35 right there. There is a good amount of land to build a stadium with a retractable roof, and the forum is right there for people to hang out before the game.

xmas1997
07-25-2014, 05:00 PM

I have often said the same thing about halfway between Austin and San Antonio.
And I have said it would be a great area to build a new International Airport there as well.
But I also agree that having the A's in particular.move here might be a mistake.
However I disagree that San Antonio could not support a team.
Even the Spurs looked into being owners of an MLB team here if I am not mistaken back when the Marlins were using San Antonio as a reason to get their new stadium built.

DAF86
07-25-2014, 05:54 PM
The Athletics unis are the only good thing about baseball, tbh.

Venti Quattro
07-25-2014, 09:21 PM
From a shithole to another shithole.

Clipper Nation
07-25-2014, 09:39 PM
From a shithole to another shithole.

Seriously.... if I'm moving a team out of Oakland, the last place I'd want to move it to is San Ghettonio :lol

xmas1997
07-25-2014, 11:29 PM
Seriously.... if I'm moving a team out of Oakland, the last place I'd want to move it to is San Ghettonio :lol

This coming from a L.A. Flippers fan.
Not unexpected.
You might want to ask yourself why so much of your film industry is buying up land in and around Castroville.
But then you probably have no idea where that is.

Biernutz
07-26-2014, 12:07 AM
This coming from a L.A. Flippers fan.
Not unexpected.
You might want to ask yourself why so much of your film industry is buying up land in and around Castroville.
But then you probably have no idea where that is.

I live in San Antonio and I have not heard about all the land buys.......Expand please

xmas1997
07-26-2014, 05:15 PM
I live in San Antonio and I have not heard about all the land buys.......Expand please

Disney started it years ago. There have been others since.
My guess is because of the cheap labor, no state income tax, a non-union state, and no earthquakes.

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 06:07 PM
As everyone knows by now the A's just renewed their lease in Oakland and will be playing there for the next 10 years, so no MLB for San Antonio.
Case closed.