PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Deng eyes British Olympic dream

velik_m
08-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Deng eyes British Olympic dream
NBA star Luol Deng wants to represent Great Britain at the 2012 Olympics.

The Sudan-born 20-year-old, who plays at forward for the Chicago Bulls, spent years in London, where his family were given political asylum and still live.

Deng went to the US at 14 to follow his dream of becoming a professional, but has represented England as a junior.

"I'm planning on playing for England and Great Britain. I represented England at Under-16 and Under-19 and I'm excited about 2012," he said.

There is one key obstacle to overcome, however.

I want to get involved whenever I can
Luol Deng

Although Deng's parents and most of his eight siblings have British passports, he does not, so England Basketball will have to help him get citizenship before he can represent his country at senior level.

England would also like to get Deng involved at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne next March.

But the player says this is very unlikely because of a clash with the NBA calendar.

"It will be very difficult for me to play but depending on how my season's going and where we are as a team, that's what my decision will come down to," said Deng.

"If it's the right time I would love to play."

Deng averaged 11.7 points and 5.3 rebounds in 61 games for the Bulls, earning a call up to the NBA All-Stars Rookie team.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/other_sports/us_sport/4161132.stm

yeahone
09-06-2005, 07:04 PM
well thats cool, patriotism,, but i dont think it would be wise t oleave an nba season to go play in the commonwealth games.