PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are 1/100th of a percentage point of catching Lakers

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Spurs are 1/100th of a percentage point of catching Lakers for best career NBA winning percentage.

Spurs' all time NBA record- 1884-1184. This is a 61.41% winning percentage

Lakers all time NBA record - 3197-2008. This is a 61.42% winning percentage

Is Spurs win 6 more games than Lakers this year( a lock), they will become winningest NBA franchise.

We Spurs fans are super spoiled.

Spurs have only 4 losing seasons in 38 years. ( and in 2 of those 4 years, the Spurs had the good fortune to win the draft lottery and they bounced back to break the NBA record for most improvement. 35 wins and 36 wins, in DRob's and TD's rookie seasons)

On the contrary, some Western teams are not so good:

The Clippers have 31 losing seasons in same time frame

The Warriors 29, the Kings 24

The 3 other teams that came into the NBA with the Spurs in 1976 have not been so hot either.

Pacers 18 losing seasons,the Nuggets 16 losing seasons and the Nets 21 losing seasons

I guess one day the Spurs will have some lean years, but for now, let's just thank our lucky stars that we have this franchise to root for for the last 38 years.

:toast

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
I became a Spurs fan in 1976. Pretty sweet deal. From the Gervin era, through the Robinson era, and now through the Duncan era this team has always been great to cheer for. Quite remarkable for a small-market team from south Texas.

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 12:57 PM
I became a Spurs fan in 1976. Pretty sweet deal. From the Gervin era, through the Robinson era, and now through the Duncan era this team has always been great to cheer for. Quite remarkable for a small-market team from south Texas.

I have a picture of my then girlfriend( now wife) and me with Ice taken in 1977.
Also in another taken that same day with Mark Olberding (she thought he was hot)

Johnsyounger
07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I was born the year The Chaps moved from Dallas. I got to meet Gilmore, Moore, Gervin.... pretty sweet run we've had, many more to come . :toast

EVAY
07-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Nice Stat. Thanks for showing it.

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 01:20 PM
This is nor related to my thread but did not want to start another thread.

Scotty Pippen was interviewed on NBAradio yesterday and he was asked what player today reminds him of himself by his style of play.

His answer: Our own Kawhi Leonard.

:smokin

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Nice Stat. Thanks for showing it.

Sure thing. Got to fill in the next 4 months somehow.:)

BuzzerBeater
07-09-2014, 01:57 PM
After I graduated from college and came back to SA in '75 I began to follow the Spurs somewhat. And then their first NBA game happened. I was hooked after that because they beat the NBA's 76'ers! I saved the whole newspaper article but lost it over the years. Could only find the box score after searching around. But the website has a great write up about the game, telling about how Kobe Bryant's dad played that game for the 76'ers and the IceMan not being the top scorer. Really cool!
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/spurs_first_ever_nba_box_score/9691576

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/andygamezusa/FirstBoxScoreSpursNBA_zpsd73f83b6.png

Steve-O-Matic
07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Hard to believe The Whopper ever scored 27 points in a game.

Spur|n|Austin
07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Good stuff, Jim - thanks! :tu

xmas1997
07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I became a Spur fan in their very first year here in San Antonio, in 1973 and played in the old ABA, and went to games in the Hemisfair Arena, watched them through the Gervin years and became part of the NBA, watched as they raised the roof on the Hemisfair Arena, watched as they got David and built the Alamodome and tore down the Arena, and watched and celebrated their first championship in 1999, watched their subsequent championships since then and as they played in the A,T, & T Center.
I watched and rooted for them even though the NFL came here in the form of the New Orleans Saints who was the ONLY NFL team to play a regular season game here, not only one, but four, on the heals of hurricane Katrina, and were in the process of moving here permanently to be the San Antonio Saints until siderailed by Jerry Jones and the NFL commissioner. I watched the Spurs as the Marlins MLB league flirted with coming here too.
And I continue to watch as the MLB team Oakland Athletics want to move here to play in the Alamodome now.
I say this because the Spurs will always be my favorite professional team in all of sports no matter what other teams move here.

DJR210
07-09-2014, 02:37 PM
I became a Spurs fan as a kid during the old Kersey, Porter, Drexler, Trailblazer rivalry days.. I can remember holy water being tossed on a 25" CRT trying to push the Spurs to a win..good times

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 02:49 PM
I became a Spurs fan as a kid during the old Kersey, Porter, Drexler, Trailblazer rivalry days.. I can remember holy water being tossed on a 25" CRT trying to push the Spurs to a win..good times

Then you remember the ill advised Rod Strickland behind the back pass to what was supposed to be Elliott that turned the ball over at the end of the game?

We had that game in our hands......instead Portland goes to Finals to meet the Bulls rather than us.

Diaw would have made that pass right on target. :)

:depressed

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 02:51 PM
After I graduated from college and came back to SA in '75 I began to follow the Spurs somewhat. And then their first NBA game happened. I was hooked after that because they beat the NBA's 76'ers! I saved the whole newspaper article but lost it over the years. Could only find the box score after searching around. But the website has a great write up about the game, telling about how Kobe Bryant's dad played that game for the 76'ers and the IceMan not being the top scorer. Really cool!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/andygamezusa/FirstBoxScoreSpursNBA_zpsd73f83b6.png

That was probably Ice's least points scored that season.

Sportcamper
07-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Not really an accurate statistic…Comparing 67 years of the most storied franchise in the history of sports to a fudged Spurs year….Should actually include the Dallas Chaparrals years with”O” fan attendance…But the early Spurs years were fun as well…5 cent beer night, empty rodeo arena and free guacamole to throw at Larry brown...

Oh yea...Good afternoon Dr Jim...:toast

ginobilized
07-09-2014, 03:03 PM
helluva ride.
i was a convert the first time i saw Duncan play as a rookie vs Karl "the Milkman" Malone.....i guess that makes me a band wagon fan, but, that doesn't stop me from enjoying it like crazy.
though, i did have that bitchin' Iceman Nike poster, still do, from waaay back

but, enough about me, how about those Spurs?....quietly re-writing history

Mr. Body
07-09-2014, 03:07 PM

That's a fascinating box score. Weird they included the FG totals only and then the FT makes and misses. I've forgotten what it was like before the internet. I used to turn on the end of the evening news for nothing more than brief league box scores, no clips. I loved when a toll free news service went up where you could dial in for various scores. This was the early 90s.

DJR210
07-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Damn, Silas had a Westbrook esque night from the officials that game

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Not really an accurate statistic…Comparing 67 years of the most storied franchise in the history of sports to a fudged Spurs year….Should actually include the Dallas Chaparrals years with”O” fan attendance…But the early Spurs years were fun as well…5 cent beer night, empty rodeo arena and free guacamole to throw at Larry brown...

Hi Camper.

I think 38 years is a big enough sample, statistically speaking. :)

If you want to feel better though, the Lakers have missed the playoffs only 3 times since 76, compared to the Spurs who have missed 4 times. :)

But next year, they will be tied in that category.:)

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Damn, Silas had a Westbrook esque night from the officials that game

Our two PGs shot 23 FTs.

:wow

Jimcs50
07-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Wow, look at Kobe, he had only 4 points for the 76ers that night.

J.T.
07-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Moved to San Antonio in 1992 when I was only 4-5 years old (depends on what month in '92, can't recall). My new stepfather, in an effort to bond with me, took the family to our first Spurs game. I can't remember the game or the opponent, but I do remember what it was like to see the court for the first time from our sets in the Alamodome.

It was actually pretty sweet to get to watch Game 5 this year with him. If the Spurs don't ring again, I'll be extremely satisfied that I got to watch Tim Duncan's last championship with the man who brought the Spurs into my life.

If anything the Spurs have taught me to enjoy the good moments and learn from the bad ones, because it's the bad moments that make it worth working for the good ones.

Sportcamper
07-09-2014, 04:19 PM
If you want to feel better though, the Lakers have missed the playoffs only 3 times since 76, compared to the Spurs who have missed 4 times. :) But next year, they will be tied in that category.:)

That is a given...

Emperor
07-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Then you remember the ill advised Rod Strickland behind the back pass to what was supposed to be Elliott that turned the ball over at the end of the game?

We had that game in our hands......instead Portland goes to Finals to meet the Bulls rather than us.

Diaw would have made that pass right on target. :)

:depressed

That was the first of many heartbreaks for me. Didn't get any better the following year when Run TMC knocked us out in the first round.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2014, 06:26 PM

George Karl went off that game!!

manufan10
07-09-2014, 06:37 PM
:wow 92 combined FTs taken in that game.

wildcardX
07-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Spurs are 1/100th of a percentage point of catching Lakers for best career NBA winning percentage.

Spurs' all time NBA record- 1884-1184. This is a 61.41% winning percentage

Lakers all time NBA record - 3197-2008. This is a 61.42% winning percentage

Is Spurs win 6 more games than Lakers this year( a lock), they will become winningest NBA franchise.

We Spurs fans are super spoiled.

Spurs have only 4 losing seasons in 38 years. ( and in 2 of those 4 years, the Spurs had the good fortune to win the draft lottery and they bounced back to break the NBA record for most improvement. 35 wins and 36 wins, in DRob's and TD's rookie seasons)

On the contrary, some Western teams are not so good:

The Clippers have 31 losing seasons in same time frame

The Warriors 29, the Kings 24

The 3 other teams that came into the NBA with the Spurs in 1976 have not been so hot either.

Pacers 18 losing seasons,the Nuggets 16 losing seasons and the Nets 21 losing seasons

I guess one day the Spurs will have some lean years, but for now, let's just thank our lucky stars that we have this franchise to root for for the last 38 years.

:toast

Well said! I remember as a kid my favorite players were Gervin and Dennis Johnson. I was a Spurs and Sonics fan. When Johnson left Seattle I became just a Spurs fan. So glad I stuck with this team all these years.

Russ
07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
It already happened (at least initially) on April 6.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231014&p=7231621

But the Spurs and Lakers are so close that it comes and goes. The Spurs should build a bit of a cushion next year -- but one Spurs loss hurts the Spurs more than one Lakers loss due to the difference in sample size (38 years vs. 60 years).

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Jimcs50
07-10-2014, 03:03 PM
A .614 win percentage translates to 50.3 wins per year.

Spurs have had at least 50 wins 24 times in 38 years

Lakers also have had 24 50 win seasons since 1976

This 50 wins a year average does not sound like much. but when you consider a few other teams in the NBA.

Clippers have had 2 50 win seasons in 36 yrs

Raptors have had 0 50 win seasons in 19 years

Warriors have had 4 50 win seasons in 44 years

Kings have had 5 50 win seasons in 29 years

Knicks have had 13 in the 47 years of the 82 game schedule

Even the famed Bulls have had only 15 50 win seasons in 47 years

This 50 win average is pretty damn incredible

EVAY
07-10-2014, 04:32 PM
A .614 win percentage translates to 50.3 wins per year.

Spurs have had at least 50 wins 24 times in 38 years

Lakers also have had 24 50 win seasons since 1976

This 50 wins a year average does not sound like much. but when you consider a few other teams in the NBA.

Clippers have had 2 50 win seasons in 36 yrs

Raptors have had 0 50 win seasons in 19 years

Warriors have had 4 50 win seasons in 44 years

Kings have had 5 50 win seasons in 29 years

Knicks have had 13 in the 47 years of the 82 game schedule

Even the famed Bulls have had only 15 50 win seasons in 47 years

This 50 win average is pretty damn incredible

It is so hard for current Spurs fans to realize just how spoiled we all are.

DocDoc
07-10-2014, 04:58 PM

you mean the Celtics?

Enjoy the next five years as laker's sink to Knick's levels of incompetence with the kids running the show. Maybe they can follow the Clipper's lead and get declared incompetent, if not mentally.

All the good things about being a Laker's fan right now:

Kobe's contract.
Swinging for the fences and whiffing this year after all the useful non-minimum player's are gone.
Having last year's bench look better than this year's starters.
Kobe in full gunner mode to pass Jordan and aim for malone - kareem is out of reach.
Last year will not look so bad after this year.
Fewer scalper's and cheaper tickets.
Did I mention Kobe's contract? How about the inevitable Kobe season ending injury? Or maybe the murder charge after he kills his (alleged) teammates?

The younger Laker fans are going to have a rude awakening - of course, they can stay in the same Arena and go to Clipper games. Maybe they can move to the Eastern conference - they might make the playoffs there.

That's my smack talk for this off season.

Biggems
07-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Kobe and Mike Bibby both had Dads on that Philly squad.

as for the Spurs, if you count the ABA, their winning % goes down a lot, but their record is still impressive. In 47 years, 39 seasons of .500 or better (2 at exactly .500). They made the postseason 42 times..........so that is 8 losing seasons in 47 years and 5 times missing the postseason.

I have long been impressed with what we have accomplished as a franchise, especially considering our tiny media market, and the fact that a lot of players completely disregard SA as a FA destination, opting for cities like LA, Chicago, NY, Miami, PHX, and Dallas.

Go Spurs Go

TheGreatYacht
07-11-2014, 04:45 AM

3 spurs fouled out. Refs been screwing us since Ice huh

Jimcs50
07-11-2014, 07:16 AM
3 spurs fouled out. Refs been screwing us since Ice huh

Yeah, but they still win at a .614 clip. Unbelievable.:)

DMX7
07-11-2014, 08:46 AM
This is nor related to my thread but did not want to start another thread.

Scotty Pippen was interviewed on NBAradio yesterday and he was asked what player today reminds him of himself by his style of play.

His answer: Our own Kawhi Leonard.

:smokin

Of course he did, haha... The player who just won Finals MVP. Direct shot at Michael!

Jimcs50
07-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Of course he did, haha... The player who just won Finals MVP. Direct shot at Michael!

I actually made the comparison in my own mind when I watched him play defense, and they have similar bodies. I would not mind Kawhi becoming the next Pippen in the league. Maybe Cotton will be the next MJ. :)

iminol
07-12-2014, 07:12 AM
good stuff, good stats. thanks.