PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Have teams ever bent over backwards this much in free agency?

Jacob1983
07-10-2014, 01:14 AM
I can't recall a time where NBA teams were bending over backwards to please star players and basically being held hostage during free agency because of a star player or even just an all star player. The shit that Chris Bosh is doing should be illegal or at least something that warrants a fine. I'd say the same for Carmelo.

sook
07-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Its disgusting. Teams turning into fucking sluts

RsxPiimp
07-10-2014, 01:20 AM
Bosh is the worst IMO.

ElNono
07-10-2014, 01:25 AM
it's because you have an extremely small talent pool, and a bunch of the consensus top free agents are available...

at the end of the day, all teams are working with the same cap space... I doubt there's going to be a lot of teams paying luxury tax next season...

-21-
07-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Its disgusting. Teams turning into fucking sluts

:lol

Mel_13
07-10-2014, 01:34 AM
I can't recall a time where NBA teams were bending over backwards to please star players and basically being held hostage during free agency because of a star player or even just an all star player. The shit that Chris Bosh is doing should be illegal or at least something that warrants a fine. I'd say the same for Carmelo.

Can't blame the players if certain teams have no self-respect.

Donkeybong
07-10-2014, 01:45 AM
I think the new CBA has a part in it too. Cap space limits the usual bigger markets, so they need to be selective and get the most bang for their buck. However, you also have all these small market teams paying lots of money for mid-level shit talent.

Jacob1983
07-10-2014, 01:51 AM
Can't we agree that Bosh and Carmelo should be fined at least? They are basically holding teams hostage with their demands and time tables. I give props to D-Rose for not giving a fuck and basically just collecting a paycheck. I also give props to Dirk for taking a huge paycut and Duncan for not retiring after ringing number 5.

scanry
07-10-2014, 01:52 AM
I understand James's stand cause he's chasing rings, but what the other clowns like Bosh, Melo & company are doing is pitful.

I also saw a disgusted look on Lebron throughout the finals, especially in the third quarter of Game 5. That's why i wouldn't be surprised if he bolts.

But i just don't know if going back to Cleveland is the right move for him at this stage of his career. He's goinna turn 30 this year and i don't know if he can put up those video game numbers from here on out.

TheGoldStandard
07-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Its on the owners, they think they need "superstars" to compete and don't have a plan B or C when essentially they will perennially suck because they have no coaching, players are sucks who can't be coached and they have no bench.

Thebesteva
07-10-2014, 01:54 AM
I understand James's stand cause he's chasing rings, but what the other clowns like Bosh, Melo & company are doing is pitful.

I also saw a disgusted look on Lebron throughout the finals, especially in the third quarter of Game 5. That's why i wouldn't be surprised if he bolts.

But i just don't know if going back to Cleveland is the right move for him at this stage of his career. He's goinna turn 30 this year and i don't know if he can put up those video game numbers from here on out.

Exactly

Mel_13
07-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Can't we agree that Bosh and Carmelo should be fined at least? They are basically holding teams hostage with their demands and time tables. I give props to D-Rose for not giving a fuck and basically just collecting a paycheck. I also give props to Dirk for taking a huge paycut and Duncan for not retiring after ringing number 5.

No. Teams need to move on to other targets if players like Melo and Bosh won't commit.

callo1
07-10-2014, 02:05 AM
It makes more sense to me in the East where there is going to be a big shift in power, but it has still gone way overboard no doubt.

HI-FI
07-10-2014, 02:07 AM
i don't recall it being this pathetic. thankfully the Spurs seem to be doing the opposite.

TheGoldStandard
07-10-2014, 02:11 AM
Too many betas who want to join forces with others in order to win, they have to collude and strong arm GMs to surround them with players even before they dribble the ball once for them.

StrengthAndHonor
07-10-2014, 02:11 AM
They are exercising their rights as Free Agents. The following teams throwing max dollars at them are under no obligation to wait for them.

Jacob1983
07-10-2014, 02:35 AM
You don't have the right to act like a pampered diva and hold a team or teams hostage.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2014, 02:37 AM
why dont these teams just field a team of europeans or scrubs just to piss off the alphas/betas?

its not like they need them to put a product on the floor as long it wins games right?

scanry
07-10-2014, 03:50 AM
why dont these teams just field a team of europeans or scrubs just to piss off the alphas/betas?

its not like they need them to put a product on the floor as long it wins games right?

And it could very well happen in the future. If these divas get even a hint of competition from outside the United States, the players union will push for restrictions tbh.

Thread
07-10-2014, 04:57 AM
I also give props to Dirk for taking a huge paycut

Where he has failed miserably is being Cuban's lapdog when Cuban refused categorically to defend that Title to this day. It's just inexplicable on the part of both men.

Twisted_Dawg
07-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Why should Bosh or Melo or any of these other assholes be "fined" for taking their time to get the best possible financial deal for themselves? They have not violated any league rules or contractual terms.

How many working stiffs out there have left one company to go to another company for a better financial deal? Or forced the current employer to counter to try to keep a valuable employee asset? How many times have you gone to 5 different car dealers or called 7 different insurance companies looking for a better deal for yourself? It's just business kid.

Clipper Nation
07-10-2014, 07:39 AM
The only one who really deserves to be bashed is Fatmelo, because he lied about the date he was going to decide and is already thinking about where he's going to force the Knicks to trade him to now that he has their money...

I knew Fatmelo was a selfish chucker, but who knew he was this much of a douchebag?

~O~
07-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Its mostly the teams fault for not holding out. its teams that compete with one another that ups their market value.

DMX7
07-10-2014, 08:26 AM
They classiest team in the NBA certainly isn't bending over backwards.

TampaDude
07-10-2014, 08:46 AM
While the rest of the NBA scurries madly about, the Spurs quietly count the days until the repeat run. :hat

Spurs9
07-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Everyone is trying to land Bron/Melo/Bosh, and when they realize they can't get them they have to scramble and overpay for someone.

lefty
07-10-2014, 09:08 AM
They are overpaying scrubs because today's NBA players are SHIT compared to the good ol' days

It's sho SHITTY that it makes scrubs look like star players

No way Frye or Parsons would be getting big contracts in the 80s-90s

:lol Harlemheat

Clipper Nation
07-10-2014, 09:10 AM
They are overpaying scrubs because today's NBA players are SHIT compared to the good ol' days

It's sho SHITTY that it makes scrubs look like star players

No way Frye or Parsons would be getting big contracts in the 80s-90s

:lol Harlemheat
Two words: Jon Koncak.

Two more: Jim McIlvaine.

lefty
07-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Two words: Jon Koncak.

Two more: Jim McIlvaine.
not during the same FA window

Vasquez - Parson - Frye getting that much money during the same summer?

:lmao Today's NBA

Clipper Nation
07-10-2014, 09:51 AM
not during the same FA window
:lol Moving the goalposts

Terrible contracts have been handed out since the invention of free agency....

lefty
07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
:lol Moving the goalposts

Terrible contracts have been handed out since the invention of free agency....
I'm not saying the contrary

But nowadays, the rate is alarming