PDA

View Full Version : Albiceleste's defense appreaciation thread

lefty
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I remember befroe this WC how Argentina's defense was seen as their main weakness, but it has looked good so far

However, do you think it could also be due to the fact that Argentina is not playing an open style of football?

Or should we give credit to the backline?

MB20
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Since Di Maria got injured, Argentina is playing with a 4-4-2 format.
The team is better tactically, more balanced,but loses some punch upfront.
Agüero and DiMaria were replaced by a midfielder and Lavezzi, who also colaborates on D.
Demichellis is more experienced than Federico Fernández, and the defense has gotten better. Rojo and Garay playing decently.

Honestly, I don´t know why we are not being scored on...it´s a miracle. :wow

urunobili
07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
It's surreal with all the bitching that the Argie's been making since the qualifiers that they have proven to be the best in the WC so far :tu

Infinite_limit
07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Not sure Argentina has played an offensive team yet

- Worst Group
- Swizz
- Belgium: struggled scoring in Group State, couldn't put the ball in net versus USA for 90 minutes
- Netherlands: Took 90+ minutes to score against Mexico. Couldn't score in 120 minutes versus Costa Rica

ManuLoco
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM

- Worst Group
- Swizz
- Belgium: struggled scoring in Group State, couldn't put the ball in net versus USA for 90 minutes
- Netherlands: Took 90+ minutes to score against Mexico. Couldn't score in 120 minutes versus Costa Rica

Infinite limit, you have the worst football takes ever.

-Belgium didn't score against USA before the 90 minute just because Howard beat a 50 year old record.
-Netherlands score 5 against Spain. Everyone now is acting like Spain is all the sudden Saudi Arabia but those same people just one month ago had Spain winning it all. Mexico has always been an extremely tough opposition in WCs and Ochoa made amazing saves. Against Costa Rica it took several miracles for that game to go to penalties (three shots hit the posts) and keylor with his great saves.

Infinite_limit
07-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Infinite limit, you have the worst football takes ever.

-Belgium didn't score against USA before the 90 minute just because Howard beat a 50 year old record.
-Netherlands score 5 against Spain. Everyone now is acting like Spain is all the sudden Saudi Arabia but those same people just one month ago had Spain winning it all. Mexico has always been an extremely tough opposition in WCs and Ochoa made amazing saves. Against Costa Rica it took several miracles for that game to go to penalties (three shots hit the posts) and keylor with his great saves.
Belgium struggled to score throughout the entire Tournament
- vs Algeria: 80th minute
- vs Russia: 88th minute
- vs Korea: 78th minute
- vs USA: 93rd minute

Netherlands Final 3 Matches
- vs Chile: 77th minute
- vs Mexico: 88th minute
- vs Costa: 120 minutes

ManuLoco
07-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Belgium struggled to score throughout the entire Tournament
- vs Algeria: 80th minute
- vs Russia: 88th minute
- vs Korea: 78th minute
- vs USA: 93rd minute

Netherlands Final 3 Matches
- vs Chile: 77th minute
- vs Mexico: 88th minute
- vs Costa: 120 minutes

lol, good for you. You watched the games scoring stats! Next time you should watch the actual games instead.

Brazil
07-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Argentinean defense is the MVP of the team tbh

lefty
07-10-2014, 03:39 PM
lol, good for you. You watched the games scoring stats! Next time you should watch the actual games instead.
I watched the Netherlands games and Louis Van Gaal changed his strategy adter the Spain game

They played an open, all out, style vs Spain because they knew that the Spanish D and Casillas were shit; same thing against the Aussies, they were not worried.

Then, after that, it was less offense

FFS, just watch the Costa Rica game

ManuLoco
07-10-2014, 06:35 PM
OK, whatever, I watched a different game as you then, it must be an argentine thing because in every place, on every forum, it's the same shit. Before the game, Netherlands had this amazing attack (which I think they have and showed in their previous games). Robben was going to score 5 on our clumsy defence. And now everyone is saying how the Netherlands offense suck. The same shit happened with Belgium (I was one of those who thought we were getting raped) and in a lesser scale against the Swiss. If this trend continues I like our chances against Germany.

ElNono
07-10-2014, 07:14 PM

- Worst Group
- Swizz

I thought all those were better than Argentina? :lol

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sportstudi
07-10-2014, 07:24 PM
I thought all those were better than Argentina? :lol

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nono, what do you think, how will your defence fare against the German attackers?

ElNono
07-10-2014, 07:26 PM
tbh, surprise of the tournament... the defense and Romero... on the other hand, the offense has been underwhelming...

The team was attacking better 5-6 months ago... the middle being weak and players being banged up don't help with that. It's just one game now, hope they go all out.

ElNono
07-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Nono, what do you think, how will your defence fare against the German attackers?

I think Demichellis is the weak spot... but he's also the most familiar with German guys, so I have no idea...

I've seen Rojo do absolutely stupid things, same with Romero, but so far, they've delivered.

At this point, they only need to keep it going for one more game.

Venti Quattro
07-10-2014, 07:30 PM
tbh, surprise of the tournament... the defense and Romero... on the other hand, the offense has been underwhelming...

They can't rely on penaldos again to win the world cup. Germany are gonna throttle Argentina before they even think they can get to 120 minutes.

ElNono
07-10-2014, 07:32 PM
They can't rely on penaldos again to win the world cup. Germany are gonna throttle Argentina before they even think they can get to 120 minutes.

I thought the same thing with the Netherlands, and here we are. Germany is definitely the more experienced team, tbh, but if you look past the Brazil game, their offense also hasn't been anything special, IMO.

Sportstudi
07-10-2014, 07:36 PM
I think Demichellis is the weak spot... but he's also the most familiar with German guys, so I have no idea...

I've seen Rojo do absolutely stupid things, same with Romero, but so far, they've delivered.

At this point, they only need to keep it going for one more game.

I agree. Will be a very interesting game. The total goalscore from Argentina so far is 8-3. Germany's is 17-4.

ElNono
07-10-2014, 07:45 PM
I agree. Will be a very interesting game. The total goalscore from Argentina so far is 8-3. Germany's is 17-4.

Yeah, but Germany really padded their numbers in the last game, which is fine, you still gotta go out there and do it.

Any injuries in Germany, tbh?

Sportstudi
07-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah, but Germany really padded their numbers in the last game, which is fine, you still gotta go out there and do it.

Any injuries in Germany, tbh?

Well, yeah, there was some padding in the last game, but if you remove the whole 7-1 and assume it was decided by penalties the German total goal score would stand at 10-3 (Argentina 8-3). Let's see who's better.

Based on my latest information Hummels will play. He had some tendinitis in his popliteal space (hollow of the knee), which was the reason he got subbed at half time against Brazil due to precautionary issues. But according to the German medical staff he will be fine to play on Sunday. All other players are healthy. Well, except Mustafi who got injured a couple of games earlier. But he is not going to be missed tbh.

ElNono
07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Well, yeah, there was some padding in the last game, but if you remove the whole 7-1 and assume it was decided by penalties the German total goal score would stand at 10-3 (Argentina 8-3). Let's see who's better.

Based on my latest information Hummels will play. He had some tendinitis in his popliteal space (hollow of the knee), which was the reason he got subbed at half time against Brazil due to precautionary issues. But according to the German medical staff he will be fine to play on Sunday. All other players are healthy. Well, except Mustafi who got injured a couple of games earlier. But he is not going to be missed tbh.

yeah, 10-3/8-3 is pretty good... I'm surprised both teams received such few goals... but more was expected of the ARG offense. They have one game to show up.

I read Dive Maria is testing the leg, but they're mostly waiting for a miracle there. Agüero won't start, but will be available.

Today a journalist asked Sabella if they played so hard against Netherlands to avoid facing Brazil... :lmao

Sportstudi
07-10-2014, 08:07 PM
yeah, 10-3/8-3 is pretty good... I'm surprised both teams received such few goals... but more was expected of the ARG offense. They have one game to show up.

I read Dive Maria is testing the leg, but they're mostly waiting for a miracle there. Agüero won't start, but will be available.

Today a journalist asked Sabella if they played so hard against Netherlands to avoid facing Brazil... :lmao

:lol sometimes journalists are crazy :lol

Regarding any news concerning injuries I maybe should send a message to one of the German fitness coaches and ask him as he was a fellow student of mine ;)

ManuLoco
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
I hope Di Maria doesn't play. He won't be 100% fit and will be scared of getting injured again. Enzo had and amazing game the other day, and if you don't take into consideration Di Maria's goal against the Swiss, Enzo played much better.
The are two things with Germany that worry me:

- Set pieces: they scored like this against France and the first one against Brazil. In 2010 Muller scored on a set piece too.
- You have to cover a team. Against Holland it was just Robben. With the germans I wouldn't be surprised if Neuer comes out of nowhere and scores after a nice play. It seems everyone attacks, everyone defends. Compact team.

Sportstudi
07-10-2014, 08:58 PM
I hope Di Maria doesn't play. He won't be 100% fit and will be scared of getting injured again. Enzo had and amazing game the other day, and if you don't take into consideration Di Maria's goal against the Swiss, Enzo played much better.

- Set pieces: they scored like this against France and the first one against Brazil. In 2010 Muller scored on a set piece too.
- You have to cover a team. Against Holland it was just Robben. With the germans I wouldn't be surprised if Neuer comes out of nowhere and scores after a nice play. It seems everyone attacks, everyone defends. Compact team.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10513526_643270642436568_3248940734461275143_n.jpg

Sportstudi
07-10-2014, 09:00 PM

The second goal against Portugal as well as the equalizer against Ghana were also after set pieces. I might even miss one.

DAF86
07-10-2014, 09:23 PM
However, do you think it could also be due to the fact that Argentina is not playing an open style of football?

It is 99% because of that.

DAF86
07-10-2014, 09:27 PM
It's the answer as to why they aren't making so many goals.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-10-2014, 11:09 PM
I've read a lot of people complainning on the internet :cry "but Argentina don't go all out attack" :cry.

Well, they did go all-out attack in 2002, 2006 and 2010 and we know how those ended. Heck, the 1998 Bergkamp goal came from a counter attack where the defensive assigments were missed. And in 1994 frickin' Romania got the best of a defensive line playing high-up the pitch.

International football is very different from club. Managers have shorter periods of time to gel the team, most competitions it's one defeat and you're packing your bags. Can anyone actually claim the last 3 World Cup winners played to attack? They were comfortable sitting with a strong defense, a well-organized midfield and let the attacking players take their chances. Italy '06 defended without the ball, Spain 2010 with it -passing it to boredom-, Brazil '02 had a core of 7 players marking tight and let the others work their magic.

Yesterday's match was boring for the neutral because Holland's style is to break play with pressure to get quick ball to Robben and leave him 1-on-1 with a defender. And if they fail, commit tactical fouls. But Argentina saw this, never gave the Dutch space to operate and were conservative with the passes.

diego
07-10-2014, 11:32 PM

- Worst Group
- Swizz

no argentina hasnt faced an offensive team, because bosnia, iran, swiss and belgium (who were group seeds thanks to the terrible fifa ranking system and uefa qualy format :lol europe) pissed their pants in fear of messi, while holland just always plays like that.

diego
07-11-2014, 12:24 AM
I've read a lot of people complainning on the internet :cry "but Argentina don't go all out attack" :cry.

Well, they did go all-out attack in 2002, 2006 and 2010 and we know how those ended. Heck, the 1998 Bergkamp goal came from a counter attack where the defensive assigments were missed. And in 1994 frickin' Romania got the best of a defensive line playing high-up the pitch.

International football is very different from club. Managers have shorter periods of time to gel the team, most competitions it's one defeat and you're packing your bags. Can anyone actually claim the last 3 World Cup winners played to attack? They were comfortable sitting with a strong defense, a well-organized midfield and let the attacking players take their chances. Italy '06 defended without the ball, Spain 2010 with it -passing it to boredom-, Brazil '02 had a core of 7 players marking tight and let the others work their magic.

Yesterday's match was boring for the neutral because Holland's style is to break play with pressure to get quick ball to Robben and leave him 1-on-1 with a defender. And if they fail, commit tactical fouls. But Argentina saw this, never gave the Dutch space to operate and were conservative with the passes.

not sure I agree. For one the criticism of argentina "not going all out" is stupid, just look at the roster and youll see that thats actually all we've got! argentina does attack though, and in all of their games created more chances than their opponent . It would be nice if they were scoring more but the problem is not that they havent attacked, theyve just not been very effective at it.

as for 02, 06, there i disagree completely, the 02 team was an attacking team but it had good defenders, that team lost because bielsa played batistuta instead of crespo and we scored 2 goals and gave 2 away to be eliminated. the way that team was playing in the qualifiers/run up to the WC with crespo we should have scored at least 1 a game, the problem was not enough offense. The 06 team had riquelme and pekerman and was very judicious with the ball, just because they beat serbia 6-1 doesnt mean they were an all out attacking team. they lost in penalties a game they controlled for 75 minutes (around where pekerman took riquelme out for i think cambiasso who missed his penalty to boot). That was bad coaching/luck (abbondanzieri injury cost a sub and he sucked). the '10 team is the closest you can say to an all out attack team, but its easy to be all attack when you have terrible D- germany opened the game with a set piece goal, not a counter. I would much prefer argentina play more attack, its our biggest strength, but i understand why sabella plays it safe with this roster. history does show its easier to win being defensive, i guess i just disagree with the assessment of those teams losing because they were too risky, if anything they werent risky enough.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-11-2014, 02:02 AM
not sure I agree. For one the criticism of argentina "not going all out" is stupid, just look at the roster and youll see that thats actually all we've got! argentina does attack though, and in all of their games created more chances than their opponent . It would be nice if they were scoring more but the problem is not that they havent attacked, theyve just not been very effective at it.

as for 02, 06, there i disagree completely, the 02 team was an attacking team but it had good defenders, that team lost because bielsa played batistuta instead of crespo and we scored 2 goals and gave 2 away to be eliminated. the way that team was playing in the qualifiers/run up to the WC with crespo we should have scored at least 1 a game, the problem was not enough offense. The 06 team had riquelme and pekerman and was very judicious with the ball, just because they beat serbia 6-1 doesnt mean they were an all out attacking team. they lost in penalties a game they controlled for 75 minutes (around where pekerman took riquelme out for i think cambiasso who missed his penalty to boot). That was bad coaching/luck (abbondanzieri injury cost a sub and he sucked). the '10 team is the closest you can say to an all out attack team, but its easy to be all attack when you have terrible D- germany opened the game with a set piece goal, not a counter. I would much prefer argentina play more attack, its our biggest strength, but i understand why sabella plays it safe with this roster. history does show its easier to win being defensive, i guess i just disagree with the assessment of those teams losing because they were too risky, if anything they werent risky enough.

The 2002 team was probably the most offensive team in modern football before Barcelona. They pressed, pressed and pressed high up the pitch, but the players had to be talked into it by Bielsa, it was not the way they learnt to play or the way they were playing in most of their European clubs. The difficulties came when the players arrived into the World Cup absolutely exhausted after a long season (the World Cup started earlier to avoid the monsoon season in Asia) and so the pressing was very chaotic, leaving gaps in midfield. Also that team insisted too much on going down the flanks and finishing the attacking moves with 6 players in the opposition's penalty area. But the crossers weren't good (ditto Piojo Lopez crossing into the opposite throw-in line), and the team had only a few good finishers, Sorin and co. got the chances but wasted them. Even so, they were very unlucky and missed a plethora of chances vs England and Sweden. If you watch again the games vs. England and Sweden, both teams waited in their own halves and tried to play long passes into the space behind the 8,5 and 11. There their forwards went 1 on 1 with the defenders or created fouls. It also didn't help that the backbone of that defense, Ayala, got injured while warming up for the Nigeria game and missed the 3 games. That team didn't have any superstars on Messi's level. It had some very good players (Batistuta, Verón, Ayala), and many good role players, but the drop down in some positions or to the subsititutes was huge. Piojo Lopez, Placente, Husain, Chamot, heck even 70 year old Caniggia was selected.

The 2006 team played the most "Argentinian" of them all. Ball control, ball in feet, short passing, 4 in the back, a traditional #10. But they crumbled after the group stage. The problems were many: placing the entire creation and ball control on Riquelme, who was always a TOSB and is very good for South American football, but he never proved himself in the global stages and is mentally very fragile. Pekerman didn't chose traditional full backs, except for Sorin, he left Zanetti out: slow Cufré, Coloccini and such played in RB. Then he made his blunder in substitutions vs. Germany. But if you remember that Cup, Argentina was the most attacking team by far. The rest were playing very cautious. People complain about 2014 knockout stages, I'd recommend them to watch again the 2006 games and will find the current Cup is much more entertaining, even in 0-0 games.

The 2010 team was a disaster waiting to happen, but an entertaining one. The AFA handed the keys of a Ferrari to a drunk driver. It was obvious from the qualification process, the bizarre friendlies, the selection policy, the non-existing tactical decisions that it was a trainwreck in the making. The team pretty much won 3 games based on the players qualities, but the entire second half of the Mexico match should've shown the warning signs, if the coaching staff weren't a bunch of cokeheads. Worst of all, they wasted 2010 Messi, an absolute beast, with such shit coaching. Playing Otamendi, Jonas Gutierrez and Heinze as full backs, Garcé as replacement, going for 4-1-5 formation vs. Germany, completely abandoning the tactical side and resting the entire game plan into motivation. It baffles me even more that Maradona now has the nerve to critize Sabella and plaudits himself as some sort of managing genious, when the weight of all the shit that happened during the period he was in charge is all on him.

Infinite_limit
07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
no argentina hasnt faced an offensive team, because bosnia, iran, swiss and belgium (who were group seeds thanks to the terrible fifa ranking system and uefa qualy format :lol europe) pissed their pants in fear of messi, while holland just always plays like that.
Huh. Belgium was arguably the best defensive team in the Tournament.

I understand that can be difficult for an Argentinian to comprehend given your region plays No Defense