PDA

View Full Version : NBA Sources: Finley = Pistons or Heat

wsdp
08-19-2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1124359820161591.xml&coll=1

-----------

Pistons battling Heat for Finley

Thursday, August 18, 2005

By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons and the Miami Heat squared off in the NBA playoffs in June to determine the best team in the Eastern Conference.

Now, they're battling for Michael Finley, arguably the best available unsigned free agent.

Although several media reports indicated that Detroit and Miami are joined by San Antonio and Phoenix in trying to woo Finley, three NBA officials contacted on Tuesday said that Finley will decide between Miami or Detroit.

"It only makes sense that he would play for either Miami or Detroit," said a league source whose team was among those who contacted Finley's agent, Henry Thomas, after the 32-year-old became a free agent late Monday night. "They (Pistons and Heat) have the most money to offer him, and they provide him with the best chance at playing time while competing for a championship. "

The Pistons and the Heat both have their $5 million mid-level exception to offer Finley, who was waived by the Dallas Mavericks as part of the league's one-time "amnesty rule" that allowed teams to waive high-salaried players and not have those salaries count against them for luxury tax purposes.

The Spurs have just a portion of their mid-level exception remaining, while the Suns can only offer the veteran's minimum, about $1.1 million.

While the Pistons remain in the mix, the Heat is considered the favorite to land Finley because of his many connections to the organization.

Finley's agent also represents Miami's Dwyane Wade, one of the NBA's rising stars. Heat head coach Stan Van Gundy coached Finley at the University of Wisconsin, and they have remained close. And then there's the chance to play with Shaquille O'Neal, who makes any team he plays for a title contender.

But, there are some drawbacks to playing for the Heat. Finley will battle defensive-minded James Posey and former Mavs teammate Antoine Walker for playing time at small forward.

Finley's biggest concern with the Pistons also appears to be playing time. He wants to be a starter, but would likely play behind Tayshaun Prince in Detroit.

Finley's agent did not return phone calls on Wednesday. However, through a spokesman at his Chicago-based office, Thomas indicated that Finley is looking at all his options and that there is no definitive timetable to make a decision.

If Finley doesn't sign with Detroit, the Pistons will focus on free agents Latrell Sprewell, who played for new coach Flip Saunders in Minnesota, and Dale Davis, who Detroit tried to sign last season. Davis ended up playing for the Indiana Pacers.

batman2883
08-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Great i hope they pick him up, so he can disappear in the playoffs just like Tayshaun Prince did

wsdp
08-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Great i hope they pick him up, so he can disappear in the playoffs just like Tayshaun Prince did

and the Spurs did in game 7 until midway through the 3Q ... and Duncan did in games 3-6 in the 4Q.... Blah Blah Blah - enough trashtalk already - we all had our final congratulatory threads after the series, give it up dude.
This thread was merely updating the story. Period.

batman2883
08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I never give up, persistance is the key my friend

Duff McCartney
08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Damn, Finley is one greedy bastard. He's getting paid like 50 million. All he wants is alot more money.

z0sa
08-19-2005, 12:40 PM

Mark in Austin
08-19-2005, 12:42 PM
seems to me that if it's purely abput playing time, San Antonio is on at least a level playing field. Manu will nevey play more than 30-35 minutes a night. Bowen should be in that same time range as he gets older. That leaves 26-36 minutes a night at the swing positions available to Finley and Barry. I think that stacks up pretty well against pt that Detriot and Miami could offer.

BillsCarnage
08-19-2005, 01:01 PM
FYI, Finley is in Phoenix right now. I'm sure the Suns will have a chat with him.

FreshPrince22
08-19-2005, 02:36 PM

Tayshaun disappeard because he had a coach that played him 42 minutes a game in the playoffs (while guarding Wade and Manu for 14 games straight), and 37mpg in the regular season. Him and Rip were 1 and 2 in the league in total minutes played last year. Which is why both were a waste of space by the time the Finals came. With Finley he'd rest those 2, and we wouldn't lose anything. Tayshaun's shot being short, and not being able to keep anyone in front of him is not disappearing. It's fatigue.
________
Anwyn (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Anwyn)

Pistonfan1
08-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Tayshaun disappeard because he had a coach that played him 42 minutes a game in the playoffs (while guarding Wade and Manu for 14 games straight), and 37mpg in the regular season. Him and Rip were 1 and 2 in the league in total minutes played last year. Which is why both were a waste of space by the time the Finals came. With Finley he'd rest those 2, and we wouldn't lose anything. Tayshaun's shot being short, and not being able to keep anyone in front of him is not disappearing. It's fatigue.

Fatigue or not, the spurs Defense shut him down. They beat us fair and square and the only reason why our guys struggled is cuz of the Spurs D and only that. I am not going to hide from the obvious. Anyways we have camp to look foward to and maybe Finley will be with us when it starts.

batman2883
08-19-2005, 02:48 PM
FYI, Finley is in Phoenix right now. I'm sure the Suns will have a chat with him.
Fuck Phoenix they aint worth shit

Dre_7
08-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Spurs should offer him a starting spot in Bowens place. Bring Bowen off the bench.

milkyway21
08-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Finley might be thinking he's Mike(Jordan), for all these power teams eagerly waiting for his decision...:cuss

when the main reason he's been this "popular" is he's CHEAP bec of that amnesty.

do it man.....decide.

Dex
08-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Spurs should offer him a starting spot in Bowens place. Bring Bowen off the bench.

Not smart.

One of the keys to Bowen's defense is that he keeps his opponent out of their groove and gets into their head, which starts as soon as the tip is thrown up. If he manages to disrupt their first few shots, suddenly they start thinking about him a lot more and their technique a lot less. Confidence goes down, and so does their shooting percentage.

If you gave these superstars even the first 4 minutes to get hot, then Bowen might not be able to cool them back down. You don't want them to get used to seeing the ball go in the basket, period. Bringing Bowen off the bench would give the opponent a chance to get their superstar going, which would make every game harder for this team.

jochhejaam
08-19-2005, 10:52 PM

Tayshaun played too many minutes last year and the Spurs play good defense, that's why he did a bit of a fade. Finley gives us the outside threat we need and gives Tay valuable minutes of rest per game.
Hope we pick him up. Neutralizes Miami's off-season pickups.

Knoxville Spur
08-19-2005, 10:52 PM
I doubt that Finley is putting money at the top of his list. If playing time is his main concern then Phoenix would be the best option with JJ leaving. We could easily bench Barry for Finley, so I think we stack up well with Detroit for potential PT. Miami does look crowded at the 2 and 3, but Wade can play the 1 also and I have to think Finley trumps Posey for PT.

As far as championship potential, Phoenix would be lowest on my list, but those teams have to be the top 4 favorites with the order depending on who you ask.

All in all, it shapes up to be a tough decision for Michael and I think all these articles coming out are pure speculation. I'm sure the Spurs are promising good minutes if he will settle for the lower $. It would be sweet to pull out the rabbit and snag him!'

Michael: remember what happened to the last aging vets that tried to hitch up to the Shaq diesel and ride him to a championship!?! Come to the Spurs and you will get quality minutes and a ring! With your scoring off the bench we will be a lock to repeat!!!

jochhejaam
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Billscarnage: FYI, Finley is in Phoenix right now. I'm sure the Suns will have a chat with him.

FYI you may want to go back and read the original post!

Damn, Finley is one greedy bastard. He's getting paid like 50 million. All he wants is alot more money.

He's not soliciting the MLE, it's being freely offered.

Sounds like someone's upset that he's not stupid enough to take the 1 Mil the spurs can offer over the 5 mil the Pistons are offering.

Finley's not an idiot! :lol

Knoxville Spur
08-19-2005, 11:00 PM
I think the Spurs have half the MLE exception to offer. So we are talking $2.5 million or so. Plus I still think he gets most all the Dallas dinero right? He's a multimillionaire, what's another $1.5 mill a season (after taxes) worth if it costs him a ring?

jochhejaam
08-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I doubt that Finley is putting money at the top of his list. If playing time is his main concern then Phoenix would be the best option with JJ leaving. We could easily bench Barry for Finley, so I think we stack up well with Detroit for potential PT. Miami does look crowded at the 2 and 3, but Wade can play the 1 also and I have to think Finley trumps Swift for PT. Swift should be able to play some 4 also.

As far as championship potential, Phoenix would be lowest on my list, but those teams have to be the top 4 favorites with the order depending on who you ask.

All in all, it shapes up to be a tough decision for Michael and I think all these articles coming out are pure speculation. I'm sure the Spurs are promising good minutes if he will settle for the lower $. It would be sweet to pull out the rabbit and snag him!'

Michael: remember what happened to the last aging vets that tried to hitch up to the Shaq diesel and ride him to a championship!?! Come to the Spurs and you will get quality minutes and a ring! With your scoring off the bench we will be a lock to repeat!!!

San Antonio Spurs - "Hey Mike, we'll take 4 million off your salary and play you 4 more minutes a game this year if you come and play with us"

Michael Finley - "Wow, that's sounds like an offer I can't refuse!" :rolleyes

jochhejaam
08-19-2005, 11:09 PM
I think the Spurs have half the MLE exception to offer. So we are talking $2.5 million or so. Plus I still think he gets most all the Dallas dinero right? He's a multimillionaire, what's another $1.5 mill a season (after taxes) worth if it costs him a ring?

Yeah, that's what they told Karl Malone. :lol

Knoxville Spur
08-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Detroit Pistons: Please sign with us, we are paper thin!

Michael Finley: Sorry, but even with me on your team the Spurs are gonna spank that ass!!

'NUFF SAID BEEYACH!!!

BillsCarnage
08-20-2005, 12:47 AM
FYI you may want to go back and read the original post!

I read it, is there something i'm supposed to be looking for?

Finley is in Phx right now.

jochhejaam
08-20-2005, 09:27 AM
I read it, is there something i'm supposed to be looking for?Finley is in Phx right now.

Latest link from today has no mention of Pho.
Actually sounds as if Miami's the team but who knows?

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pistons20e_20050820.htm

BillsCarnage
08-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Latest link from today has no mention of Pho.
Actually sounds as if Miami's the team but who knows?

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pistons20e_20050820.htm

I wasn't referring to the first article. Did you assume i meant he signed with Phx?
Finley is in Phoenix right now.

Kori Ellis
08-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Finley is in Phoenix right now.

Has he been there all weekend? I read something that he had gone there on Friday.

BillsCarnage
08-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Yup, he's attending a wedding - trainer of the Mavs(formers Suns trainer). So Nash might be there too and have a chat with him.

I could really care less if they get Finley or not. I'd rather they get Jones.