PDA

View Full Version : Possibility we could see Bertans come over this year

SpursFan86
07-12-2014, 11:10 PM

Take it for what it's worth. For those who didn't know, him and LJC are working out with the Spurs in Vegas, but not playing for the SL team.

spursparker9
07-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Even if he is on the roster, probably gonna be on the inactive list.

Ice009
07-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Take it for what it's worth?

It sounds exactly like what most of us thought, and that thought is, the Spurs don't want him to come over this year.

TheGoldStandard
07-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Worth a camp invite

AFBlue
07-12-2014, 11:32 PM
The implication with his "next team" being his next European team. Hard to see how you infer anything different based on those tweets. Hopefully he gets as much workout time with the team as possible before he heads back over. But there's really no news here tbqh.

AFBlue
07-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Worth a camp invite

Are you allowed to extend camp invites to players you hold the rights to without offering them a contract? And if you have to offer them a contract, do you lose the rights to them if they're cut? It would definitely be nice, just not sure if it's allowed.

SpursFan86
07-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Tbh I wanted to post this in a topic about Bertans but I couldn't find the topic about him (I've seen one before). Guess the topic title was kind of dumb but whatever.

AFBlue
07-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Tbh I wanted to post this in a topic about Bertans but I couldn't find the topic about him (I've seen one before). Guess the topic title was kind of dumb but whatever.

Nah, not dumb. I'm glad he's working out in Vegas with the team, and I'm not sure everyone knew it because it's probably only in the SL thread. I just don't think anything will come of it as far as this year's roster goes.

TheyCallMePro
07-12-2014, 11:41 PM
So Bertans and LJC have fully recovered from their torn ACL's then? That's good news at least.

Splits
07-12-2014, 11:45 PM
I have no idea what to think. Put TSpence26 on the case.

SpursFan86
07-12-2014, 11:48 PM
I have no idea what to think. Put TSpence26 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=48664) on the case.

"I'm being told that I actually don't know jack shit when it comes to NBA inside information. Will have more info once Woj or someone who knows what they're talking about breaks the news first. Be sure to check for me on Cleveland radio where I talk out of my ass for 15 minutes."

DrunkTXLabrat
07-12-2014, 11:56 PM
I love the Bertans, LJC news! As much as i enjoy ragging on the spurs for not bringing them over yet. Working them out in Vegas is a bit pacifying.

PublicOption
07-13-2014, 12:16 AM
No Pau we need Bertans

DMC
07-13-2014, 12:20 AM
There's no minutes for new guys. The end of the bench is already filled as well. Where are the minutes? Tim might play less, probably will since it might be his farewell tour, same for Manu, but right now I don't see the extra minutes.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-13-2014, 11:20 AM
There's no minutes for new guys. The end of the bench is already filled as well. Where are the minutes? Tim might play less, probably will since it might be his farewell tour, same for Manu, but right now I don't see the extra minutes.

I wouldn't care if they brought over Bertans just to sit on the bench. I think Spurs-quality practice, pre-season, garbage, and injury time are better for his development than any overseas time. But... Diaw has back issues, Anderson is a rookie, Ayers is Ayers, Daye could very well be a bust, and hopefully Bonner is gone. There's minutes to be earned if Bertans could get on the roster.

exstatic
07-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Worth a camp invite

No. To get him to camp, you have to sign him. If you sign him, and he doesn't make the roster, you relinquish your draft rights to him.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Worth a camp inviteNot if they don't keep him.

Are you allowed to extend camp invites to players you hold the rights to without offering them a contract?No.
And if you have to offer them a contract, do you lose the rights to them if they're cut?Yes.

I suppose there is a small chance he plays for the Toros without signing a Spurs contract, but that would be a step backwards competition-wise

littlecoyotecoin
07-13-2014, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't care if they brought over Bertans just to sit on the bench. I think Spurs-quality practice, pre-season, garbage, and injury time are better for his development than any overseas time. But... Diaw has back issues, Anderson is a rookie, Ayers is Ayers, Daye could very well be a bust, and hopefully Bonner is gone. There's minutes to be earned if Bertans could get on the roster.

First news I've heard of Diaw experiencing any back issues, please elaborate?

littlecoyotecoin
07-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Not if they don't keep him.

No.Yes.

I suppose there is a small chance he plays for the Toros without signing a Spurs contract, but that would be a step backwards competition-wise

How much of a step backwards. I have watched a couple Bertans games, and while he is interesting, I haven't been impressed with the level of competition that he was playing against. The team he just left couldn't even pay the players. Not exactly Europe's finest, it doesn't seem. But, then again, I don't watch much Euroball. Maybe that is some of the finest competition over there.

Mel_13
07-13-2014, 11:46 AM
First news I've heard of Diaw experiencing any back issues, please elaborate?

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/130412_boris_diaw_undergoes_surgery

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Rignt now Bertans would look like De Colo on this team or even worse. He's not ready yet.

littlecoyotecoin
07-13-2014, 12:41 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/130412_boris_diaw_undergoes_surgery

Oh, yes. I remember that now. That was over a year ago, and he played all year with no complications. That was a cyst, not a ruptured disk, broken vertebrae, etc. He is fine and fully recovered from that. He may miss time this season, but I would bet hard cash it will not be from that procedure or any lingering ramifications from the cyst.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Oh, yes. I remember that now. That was over a year ago, and he played all year with no complications. That was a cyst, not a ruptured disk, broken vertebrae, etc. He is fine and fully recovered from that. He may miss time this season, but I would bet hard cash it will not be from that procedure or any lingering ramifications from the cyst.

i'll admit i was going off memory. i thought Diaws back issue had more linger potential.

AFBlue
07-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks to ex and CD for the clarification. That's what I figured.

littlecoyotecoin
07-13-2014, 01:20 PM
i'll admit i was going off memory. i thought Diaws back issue had more linger potential.

No prob, hopefully we have fewer injuries this year than last. Last year was a bear. We aren't getting off to a good start with Patty and Manu, for sure.

Godbama
07-13-2014, 01:49 PM
I mean, about minutes, I feel like as defending champions for this season we can surely rest Timmy and Manu even more more than we did last season, maybe more Parker resting too. Timmy's old, Parker and Manu have both been struggling with injuries. Why not? I'm confident we could still make a decent run at home advantage. At that point you might be able to distribute even more minutes further on down the bench.

TheGoldStandard
07-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Bertans instantly better than ayres

ChumpDumper
07-13-2014, 03:45 PM
How much of a step backwards. I have watched a couple Bertans games, and while he is interesting, I haven't been impressed with the level of competition that he was playing against. The team he just left couldn't even pay the players. Not exactly Europe's finest, it doesn't seem. But, then again, I don't watch much Euroball. Maybe that is some of the finest competition over there.Partizan played at the highest level of international competition over there in Euroleague. The Adriatic League is also above the D-League in general, though not as much as Greece or Spain traditionally are.

One of the best things about playing in the D-League is the fact that the pace is faster on average than that of the NBA and most other pro leagues. One gets a really good impression of a player's fitness and conditioning if he plays good minutes in the D-League, at the same time allowing for more practice and recovery time between games.

SpursFan86
07-16-2014, 01:37 AM

TheGoldStandard
07-16-2014, 01:38 AM

Depending on the deal and buyout we probably won't see him as a Spur ever

bluebellmaniac
07-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Depending on the deal and buyout we probably won't see him as a Spur ever

Not worried about that. He had to sign somewhere. He's also not Lorbek. Pretty sure the buyout is manageable. He does want to come over, so he's not going to shoot himself in the foot.