PDA

View Full Version : 27-year-old Nuggets summer league player dies of heart attack

Kori Ellis
08-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Kenyon Jones, former West Coast Conference MVP, dies in Atlanta
Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO - Kenyon Jones, a college basketball star in the Bay Area who went on to a successful pro career in Europe, has died. He was 27.

A spokesman for the University of San Francisco, where Jones was named the most valuable player of the West Coast Conference in 1999-00, said Jones died Thursday at his family home in Atlanta. School spokesman Pete Simon didn't know the cause of death, but Eurobasket.com reported Jones died of a heart attack.

Jones, a 6-foot-10 forward-center, played his first three collegiate seasons at California, averaging 6.0 points and 3.7 rebounds as a junior. After transferring to San Francisco, he was named the WCC's top player while averaging 16.5 points and 9.0 rebounds for the Dons.

Jones played for two teams in Greece's top league over the past four seasons. He had two stints with Maroussi Athens, including 25 games as a reserve last season.

Jones also played six minutes in two games with the NBA's Denver Nuggets at the Vegas Summer League last month, according to the Nuggets' Web site.

Vashner
08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Damn shame.. rest in peace.

milkyway21
08-19-2005, 11:57 PM
players with heart problems shld never be playing basketball.
yesterday Turiaf was quoted saying he's okay now and hoping to return to basketball again. but, i don't think so..:nope.

when I read the news i thought it was the Kenyon of "coach Carter" movie who died. then, i realized it was Stone not Jones.

Kori Ellis
08-20-2005, 12:00 AM
I don't think that this guy (Jones) had prior heart problems.

TheTruth
08-20-2005, 12:01 AM
always sad when someone checks out in their prime. RiP

SuperManu!!!
08-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Lately, there has been a lot of players with heart problems in spors. Are doctors doing the right studies?

milkyway21
08-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Lately, there has been a lot of players with heart problems in spors. Are doctors doing the right studies?is it incl. that in the new CAB? -Regular heart checkups?(there was only 4 annual random drug tests for veteran players).

Not just for contract purposes but for the safety of players as well.

leonarth
08-20-2005, 02:39 AM
players with heart problems shld never be playing basketball.
yesterday Turiaf was quoted saying he's okay now and hoping to return to basketball again. but, i don't think so..:nope.

here's the article

Turiaf recuperating, hopes to play again after heart surgery

By JOHN K. WILEY, Associated Press Writer
August 19, 2005
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) -- Los Angeles Lakers second-round draft pick Ronny Turiaf said Friday he's well on his way to recovery from heart surgery and is hopeful he'll one day wear the purple and gold.

Turiaf, who is recuperating here after open-heart surgery to repair an enlarged aortic root on July 26, said he will be cheering for his potential teammates this season as he works his way back into playing shape.

A decision on whether he can eventually play in the NBA is ``way down the road'' and up to his physicians and team management, Turiaf said, vowing to return stronger and better than before.

``I'm going to play basketball again,'' he said. ``My heart is fixed ... there is no question. There is no need to tell me I can't play basketball if my heart is fine. So, I will play basketball, unless you don't want me to.''

Turiaf, 22, was the 37th pick in this year's NBA draft.

The 6-foot-9 power forward averaged 15.9 points, 9.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.9 blocked shots as a senior at Gonzaga last season.

Turiaf's contract with the Lakers was voided when the potentially life-threatening condition was discovered in a post-draft physical, but the Lakers paid for his pre-operation medical costs and the cost of the surgery.

His post-operation costs are being paid through a fund approved by the NCAA and administered by Gonzaga for student-athletes in situations similar to Turiaf's, sports information director Oliver Pierce said.

Turiaf, who canceled a scheduled news conference on Aug. 5 because of a severe headache, said he is feeling much better and has begun riding a stationary bicycle and is dribbling a basketball up and down the court. He lost 25 pounds and is still weak and fatigued, he said.

His doctors told him he can start playing basketball again on a limited basis in about three months, Turiaf said.

``What does that mean? I don't know,'' he said. ``Can I start playing professional basketball? Can I start having contact in three months? I don't know.''

Turiaf said he wants to use his situation to show others that ``you can come back from heart surgery.''

He said he would like to try to return to Los Angeles and begin practicing with the team in late December or early January, but that will be up to the team. He said he talks to team doctors and management weekly.

While recovering, Turiaf said he'll be watching his potential teammates on television.

``It's a great team for me to watch,'' he said. ``I'm going to pull for the Lakers.''

The experience has left the popular Gonzaga star in a reflective mood.

``One day I was under contract and I was happy and I was going to play in the NBA and the next day my career is put on hold,'' he said. ``I have no doubt that I'm going to play basketball again but, that can happen, so you better enjoy yourself and your family and friends. I'm pretty happy with the situation I'm in.''

milkyway21
08-20-2005, 03:32 AM
well, maaaybe not in near future.

such enthusiasm from a young player with heart problems & even after a surgery.

Dre_7
08-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Wow, thats very sad. :depressed